New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2237383940414243444546474849505152535455565772 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

"Where there is one, there are likely to be more, but there is only one way to find out." Nathros moves slightly off to the left of the track and advances slowly towards the goblin corpse, spear held in front of him, keeping a look out for anything unusual.

Spoiler
    Show

If Nathros' tracking skills or knowledge of survival/stealth/lore in hills and mountains need to come into play, let me know.

It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon follows after Nathros. He steps carefully and slowly so that he is not caught unaware by any more pit traps.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Mycah spots it straight away, an area just to the left of the dead goblin that'd been trampled a bit, and the continuation of their reckless trail through the woods.

Ash sees a glint of metal, but not where she'd expected and Nathros spotted it too as he advanced on the fallen goblin. The goblin had gotten himself caught in a metal trap and the trap was chained to the tree.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon peers curiously at the trap that had caught the goblin's leg.

He tries to estimate how long it has been here by the amount of rust and wear on it, and how crudely or well it has been made, wondering if the goblin got caught in a goblin-made trap.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Titan in the Playground

"Looks like they left this fellow behind when he got caught in the trap. A pity we were so quick to slay him, he might have been inclined to answer some questions about where his faithless companions were headed." Nathros checks the goblin corpse for his missing hand axe.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon remarks to Nathros, "True. But at least we know we're going in the right direction so far."

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

"It doesn't look like we need to be worried about an ambush - though I intend to be just as careful as we have been. If they were in such a hurry they wouldn't stop long enough to free this one from the trap then they are surely on the run and concerned we would follow."

Mycah looks up at the sun momentarily. "We still have plenty of time until nightfall. Shall we keep going and see what else this goblin king has left behind as he flees? The trail is certainly plain enough to follow."

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ogre in the Playground

"I suspect you're right that they were in a hurry - but I doubt that they would have shown an ounce of compassion for their trapped fellow, here. More likely they would have stayed to laugh at him - or made him cut off his own foot for their entertainment..."
    Talsarios shakes his head, as though trying to escape his own mental image. "Let's be off again, then, eh? Plenty more where that came from!"

Spoiler
    Show
    He'll carry on in whatever direction the trackers indicate.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash finds her place among her new comrades, behind or beside Nathros if possible. She'll have her bow in hand and her shield slung over her back for now.

"So long as we get back before night fall. We'll be needed to secure whatever waits beyond that door before the rest of those at the keep can rest easy."

She breathes some words that go something along the lines of "... cleaving some wreched little monsters..." There was more spirit about her at that moment.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros trudges on in pursuit of the goblins.

11. - Top - End - #1391

The trail wasn't difficult to follow, though it did require some concentration. Still, the sound of horses ahead, trotting and closing in, was hard to miss. Several sets of hoofbeats seemed to grow louder though nothing could be seen as of yet.
    Forum Rules

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

"Horsemen," hisses Nathros, "Could be friend or foe." He moves off the trail so as to observe their approach unseen.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash considers that her comrades won't likely wish for a head on approach if these horse riders intend harm upon them. She shuffles enough to be off the beaten path and tries to get a look at the riders through the trees, or over the hill, if she can. If any of her comrades remain on the road/path, she will not hesitate to stand with them. Otherwise, she falls in line with Nathros' cautious actions for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness DC 13: (1d20)[14]

14. - Top - End - #1394

A half-dozen human riders and decent looking horses crested the hill ahead. Given the change to the forest floor of late, it seemed likely that the dense forest gave way to open hills not too far ahead. The humans seemed to be traveling at an unhurried pace, scanning ahead.

"Ahead, I think. Less than a half-day," the one of the two lead riders said to the other.
    Forum Rules

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon moves so that he is separate from the rest of the party before he steps out of the brush and calls, "Halloo, the riders!"

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros looks to see the reaction of the riders, ready for trouble.

17. - Top - End - #1397

The riders pull up with a, "Ho, there!" The following pairs of horsemen fan out a bit to avoid riding up on each other, and the last horseman hangs way back. All are armed and lightly armored, and though none of them draw weapons, several them certainly let their hands drift in that direction. They halt their approach in a rough V, with the lead rider raising an empty hand in greeting.

"Pass or parley, fellow travelers? We'll do either though we'll pay no tribute or suffer banditry."
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon sounds a bit surprised. It had never occurred to him that he might look like a bandit, much less behave like one.

"Why would I ask for tribute?"

"No, I'm just wondering what y'all are looking for. I'm part of a group hunting down a few remaining gobbos - that is, goblins, on behalf of Lord Bost. Brandon Bor, at your service."

He bows but not does not release his shield or sheathe his sword.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash crept out of the bushes just behind Brandon before the riders made their approach. She makes a little effort to not give away the location of the others as long as they seem intent on keeping their presence unknown.

Her bow rests over her shoulder, her sword in her scabbard, and her shield over her back. She would not look threatening in the least, but for the lack of personality her armor grants her, I suppose.

She smiles behind her plate as she follows the conversation between the riders and Brandon. Then she adds, with a smooth deep voice, "Perhaps we might assist one another, should we share any common goals or interests."

She leans to one side and folds her gauntlets over one another against her chest as she peers at the riders, studying them.

Spoiler
    Show
    She feels like they seem trustworthy, but in case one of them has a twitchy look or if she sees any threatening weapons which are armed and efforts are being made to conceal them...

Alertness DC 13: (1d20)[16]

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios allows himself to be seen, but lets the warriors do the talking, as is the Thyatian custom. It's not a scholar's place to interject when soldiers are in parley.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-01-16 at 07:50 AM. Reason: removing stray apostophe

21. - Top - End - #1401

RangerGuy

Mycah steps from the shelter of the trees, standing near Nathros. With Brandon and Ash willing to talk to the soldiers he remains silent, watching the mounted group for signs of trickery. He has his bow out and an arrow nocked, but it is held pointed to the ground - his position should be interpreted as one of caution rather than challenge or threat.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros pays attention to the weaponry of the riders, thinking perhaps they might have slaughtered the goblins and recovered his hand axe.

23. - Top - End - #1403

Nathros spots an axe, probably his axe, at one of the horseman's sides.

The lead rider nods at the greetings. "We're passing through, but we can tell you of the land behind us, if you're interested. We hear there's an abandoned keep ahead, where we might seek shelter tonight. If you know of it, we'd be interested. We've had a rough but profitable day."
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

"It seems perhaps that you have caught our quarry, for the axe at your side bears a certain resemblance to one I lost to a goblin head in recent days. These woods will like be safer for their demise, but I would hear the tale and know your business before bringing you to the keep we but lately won by blood and dint of arms."
    Last edited by Matthew; 2012-01-18 at 09:32 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stefan steps out into the open beside Nathros.

"Yeah, looks like you guys found the goblins we were looking for. The keep is a safe place for you to take shelter, as of today, actually. We can show you the way. We've worked hard to rid it of the recently resident goblins, tasked by Lord Bost out of Threshold.

Where do you guys ride from?"

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash is interested to hear where the riders hail from. There is little she knows about these parts. Perhaps they might be future allies. Her uncle would be pleased of that, most likely. She smiles to herself.

They seem like hearty honest fellows who can hold their own. Perhaps they are a long way from home as I am. She wonders about them and holds her tongue while the parley takes place.

The only noticable change in her actions is that she shifts her weight from the one leg to the other and not for a moment does she take her eyes off the horsemen. She grins a little.

27. - Top - End - #1407

"It seemed too fine a weapon for the likes of them, though I must admit day-walking, out-sized goblins certainly threw us for a loop. We rode up on them unexpectedly and while they were fearless for such cretins, they were no match for my mounted warriors." He waves at the rider to return Nathros' axe, "your friend freely offered us shelter, so I see no reason to barter over the return of your blade."

He turns his attention to Ash, "we ride from Helmond, a village in the hills back east, though we're more or less vagabonds of the armed sort. Picking up honest work where we can and moving on. We're wandering this way in hopes that the riverside is more profitable than the hill country."
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-01-19 at 01:23 PM.
    Forum Rules

28. - Top - End - #1408

RangerGuy

Mycah frowns at the thought of inviting a party of armed strangers back to the keep, but hold his tongue being new to the group.
    Instead, he offers: "We can lead the way back if you'd care to join us. No doubt the other will be wondering where we are by now. We left the majority of our force behind while we went after the goblins."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

29. - Top - End - #1409

RangerGuy

Mycah frowns at the thought of inviting a party of armed strangers back to the keep, but hold his tongue being new to the group.
    Instead, he offers: "We can lead the way back if you'd care to join us. No doubt the other will be wondering where we are by now. We left the majority of our force behind while we went after the goblins."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon says politely, "Would you mind leading us first to where the dead goblins lay?"

"We'd like to be able to report to our lord that we saw the goblins dead with our own eyes. This way there would be no doubts."