Page 49 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051525354555657585974 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    As they get close to the keep, Mycah finally closes the distance to join the tail end of the mercenary caravan. Having not heard anything that sounded like trouble as he listened to the chatter among the men, he greets those at the rear and introduces himself.
    "I'm Mycah, Mycah Deshiel. I'm a woodsman and scout for Lord Bost, who hired our group to take back the keep up ahead. I can't imagine the things you must have seen in your time on the road. All I've ever seen are the forests which surround Threshold."

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros heads towards the axe-hewn door to take stock of goings on in his absence.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  3. - Top - End - #1443
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Ash will be ready with shield and sword at the bottom of the stairs and start a formation at the front line. She'll wait for whoever wishes to take on whatever may or may not remain on the second floor, then she'll press a swift and alert search, though she doesn't really expect anyone to be there.

  4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Talsarios nods to Devin in passing, and stands ready at the broken door with his sling loaded.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If any hostile targets appear, Talsarios will attack with his sling (unless any allies crowd in to prevent a clear shot).
    Sling - (1d20)[19]
    Damage - (1d4)[3]
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-01-30 at 07:37 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #1445
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah falls into place with the others, ready to move into the newly-opened section of the keep. Like Ash, he thinks it unlikely anything living will be in there to cause trouble, but stays alert just in case. He sets aside his staff for now and draws a dagger, staying behind the front line unless they want him to check something specific,

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  6. - Top - End - #1446
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The door is entirely hacked away and the iron bars pulled apart. The stairwell up is dark and dusty, the orange light of sunset glows through a window on the upper floor landing.

    Nathros and Ash lead the way up the stairs followed by Stefan and Talsarios, then Mycah and Brandon. The woodsmen and other workers remain alert in the main room, many wondering what great evil the heroes are about to awaken.

    The landing is lit by a small, cloudy window, admitting only the vague sunset glow. Several other windows ring the room, though one on the far end seems to be admitting the sunlight more directly. Cobwebs glitter throughout the room, and many dark corners elude observation altogether.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon calls back through the door to the workmen.

    "More torches! It's really dark here, and we need more light."

  8. - Top - End - #1448
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah pauses and tries to let his eyes adjust to the orange-hued partial light within the room. Seeing the spiderwebs he peers cautiously into the room and looks overhead with an involuntary shudder. Spiders, he thinks to himself, nasty unnatural things...
    Brandon's call for torches seems wise, and he waits for the light before going further into the room.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Looking down towards the brighter light, is it just the window the sun is shining in directly, or does it appear the glass is broken out of that one?

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  9. - Top - End - #1449
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Ash keeps her shield held close to her chest and her sword at the ready in case anything pops out, though she still doesn't expect more than some rats and cobwebs, maybe a trap or two... That's it! This of all rooms MUST have a trap.

    Instead of pressing her search right away, she holds position and waits for the others to acquire torches. She speaks in a low clear voice, "I believe this type of area would more likely to contain some kind of trap. Be weary of your steps."

    Such underhanded methods to keep treasures safe. If you're brave and loyal, your men would follow you and you'd have no need for such a thing. Or do you fancy your treasure long after your passing? Bah, worthless thoughts. Perhaps there's nothing and no one here after all... But why then the barricade?

  10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros tests the floor for rotten boards and traps whilst waiting for more illumination.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  11. - Top - End - #1451
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The men light torches and begin passing them up. Nathros finds the floor solid, though dust kicks up into the sunbeams. The room seems empty of furniture or anything other than support columns.

    The torchlight reveals a number of patches of a sickly yellow green mold, especially under the far window. Cobwebs seem thickest around the support columns.

    No rats or other vermin scurry from the torchlight, which expands with each torch passed to the second floor.

    Spoiler
    Show
    The far window seems broken/missing, and thus admitting light directly.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  12. - Top - End - #1452
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Ash takes a look around, searching for anything that is dangerous or unusual. If she finds money instead, she'll point it out to the others and continue onward unless this is the only room.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness DC 13: (1d20)[17]

  13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros begins searching for secret doors.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  14. - Top - End - #1454
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah will cautiously approach the nearest web-shrouded column, eyes on the shadowed ceiling watching for signs of movement among the webs. He gives the moldy areas a wide berth.
    "We should burn away this mold if we can. Nasty stuff, and dangerous with so much of it around. With that window broken out, something may have gotten in here - it's hard to say, so stay alert."

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  15. - Top - End - #1455
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    As Ash searches the room, she brushes an unexpected patch of mold. It weakly puffs out a cloud of spores that only reaches to her knees, but the stench would suggest that the stuff would be terrible to inhale.

    Nathros notes that the floor and walls are stone, or more likely covered in a thin layer of stone. A small trapdoor exists just to the left of the stairwell, a tiny ring giving it away to anyone looking closely.

    The room seems otherwise stripped bare and abandoned.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Looks like a trapdoor here," Nathros says.

    Does the stairwell continue upwards or terminate on this level?
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon ambles over and peers at where Nathros indicates.

    He sheathes his sword and hooks the ring and pulls it open. His shield is ready in case anything attacks.

  18. - Top - End - #1458
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Shouldn't we be sure this room is clear before we move on," asks Mycah questioningly.
    Seeing both Brandon and Nathros checking the trap door, though, he leaves them to it and takes one of the torches. He begins to try burning away some of the webbing, as well as holding the flame to a patch of mold to see what effect that has.
    Spoiler
    Show

    I just has a bad feeling about this room still guys. Seems too good of a set-up to me. Of course, that's good play on Roland's part...

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  19. - Top - End - #1459
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Hh, as long as this mold doesn't come to life, I think we should be fine." With that, she takes position near Brandon and Nathros who are opening the trap door. She is still trying to stay alert though it appears her interest in this room is quickly dulling.

  20. - Top - End - #1460
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The trapdoor opens and a rope unfurls from the bottom side. This appears to be an escape hatch that goes under the stairwell leading up (and directly into the stairwell leading to the basement).

    The mold and cobwebs burn away with an unpleasant odor, but no other apparent effect.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sometimes an abandoned room is just an abandoned room.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  21. - Top - End - #1461
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "You know, there are moulds that come to life," Talsarios informs the gathered adventurers. "I read about a whole variety of predatory slimes that inhabit the dark places of the world. I doubt this is one though."

  22. - Top - End - #1462
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Well, then, that is an end to that. It seems that we are finished here, time to think about sending word or returning ourselves to Lord Bost."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  23. - Top - End - #1463
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Well, just an empty room," Stefan says, taking his helmet off and relaxing a bit, "I'm pretty glad that's over with."

    But where in the Abyss did the goblin's wealth go? Those damn riders are tromping around with it I'll bet, thinking they've earned it somehow...

    No one else seems to be overly concerned with it for now, though, so I guess I'll just hold my tongue.


    He smiles wearily at the rest. "Well, this place hasn't been too kind to us, is anyone else up for a rest? I could sure use an evening at the Lion's Den*. Since that's a few days ride from here, though, why don't we try to make this fort livable for tonight?"

    Stefan turns and begins to head back the way they came, helmet under arm, and mace rested over his shoulder.

    He calls back over his shoulder, "Plus, we have to see what those riders did with our treasure."

    Spoiler
    Show
    *[a tavern]

  24. - Top - End - #1464
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Ash appears to be a bit puzzled by what Talsarios had said, but quickly dismisses her thoughts as she has something to say about the other topic instead.

    "We shall have to be prepared to set out once again by tomorrow morning. I will give him my report and see if he has any further duties for me to fulfill. I'm sure you will all be rewarded whatever he has promised as well. Of course, for now let's arrange any guard you wish to have for the night as the rest receive some well deserved R&R."

    As she leaves just behind Stefan, she says aside to him, "I'll see what I can do about your treasure, but surely the lord Bost will have compensation for your troubles already, would he not?"

  25. - Top - End - #1465
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "It does seem like we've completed our mission here. It's too bad the others lost some men though. If we were here we might have been able to help." Mycah frowns and glances at Talsarios.

    "A bit of companionship and a good nights rest will help everyone though, and we can head for home tomorrow. Do you expect Lord Bost to have another job for us Ash? I'd rather not have to go back to the lumber camps right away."

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  26. - Top - End - #1466
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Ashala glances back, "Hm? Oh, I really have no idea. Maybe you'll be posted here indeterminately.

    "I just know my job was only to escort the others here, ensure the keep is secure, and allow them to establish their hold here before returning.

    "I certainly HOPE he has more work for me. If you think you'd prefer to be more useful to Lord Bost back in town rather than here, then by all means, return with the rest of the group and I. If not, then of course you can stay."


    She tips her head with the conclusion of her words, then heads off to find Devin for a final report on the standings of all the occupants here.

  27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros addresses the riders, "I am afraid our hospitality is limited to what we brought with us, but we will gladly share what we have. Perhaps tomorrow we can ride on together to see Lord Bost."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  28. - Top - End - #1468
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Thank you, sir dwarf. We appreciate the hospitality. Stone walls and a moat no less, are far more than we expected to find out here in the wood. We'd thought this place was mere tribesmen's tales.

    We would gladly give you all a chance to give fair value for our goblin spoils, if you're so inclined. Your leader lady mentioned some interest in such an exchange."


    ----
    Devin reports that the entire keep has been cleared, including the bodies of the goblins down below. He's pointed some of the riders to one of the front guardrooms to hunker down. Most of the workers are preparing to camp in the main room.

    "I accompanied the adventurers here, but I suppose you are now in command," Devin proclaims, "though not of them I'd think," he added somewhat quieter.

    "I'd remain as castellan, if you desire, and hope that you'd leave me the full complement, and perhaps the elf woman. She made some mention of remaining in the woods a bit longer."
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  29. - Top - End - #1469
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Ash has her helmet off now that the dangers have all generally passed. She'll be fully equipped on watch again tonight, however.

    After Devin's report, she replies, "Excellent. Yes of course. I'm glad Lord Bost had the insight to send someone someone like you along. You are certainly qualified to continue on the same as you have been.

    "If you think it's necessary, I'll make it clear to the rest of the men before we leave that you are in total command, answering of course to Lord Bost's authority. If you all know each other well, then there shouldn't be any need.

    "Jeanne is welcome to stay and aid you, so long as she can wait whatever reward she was promised.

    "Be sure to prepare a journal and monthly reports in case my lord wishes an update. He'll likely send a representative.

    "Beyond that, I'd say that pretty much concludes our work here. The first group and I will be heading back at first light. Good luck to you and may your fortunes grow."


    She reaches out to shake Devin's hand firmly and gives him a sturdy nod of recognition, then heads off to find the front guardroom where the riders are.

  30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Talsarios dumps his pack on the floor and sits down, stretching his legs out stiffly before pulling out some trail rations and nibbling half-heartedly at them. At least it's dry and relatively warm in here, he thinks - then an inspiration hits him.
    "I say," he pipes up, hopefully: "Does anyone have any wine? or, um, beer?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •