New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2540414243444546474849505152535455565758596075 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Ash makes her way to the room with the riders. She looks for Milos and sees Nathros talking to them. She tips her head before waiting and finding her place in the conversation to offer, "If there's anything you and your group need, please tell Devin or myself and we'll take care of it if we can. If you don't know who Devin is, I'm sure one of the others here would be able to direct you."

She smiles at Nathros to show recognition of his presence in the room.

She continues, "Have you been fairing well since your arrival? Perhaps I could take a look at your injured now, if no one else has beaten me to it. I'll just double check the bandaging and look for infection and the like."
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-02-13 at 09:08 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ogre in the Playground

Contentedly sharing a sup of wine with whosoever might have some, Talsarios settles down for the night.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alastor gets his head down to sleep after a while - he's not keen to make conversation beyond a little idle chat.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-02-11 at 08:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah finds his way to the guardroom and spends the evening among the mercenaries gathering tales of the adventurous life beyond the lands he grew up in. He has little to offer himself - surely these warriors have no interest in the life of a lumber camp - but freely shares what he knows if asked.

Eventually he takes Talsarios' lead and finds a spot to bed down, preparing an early morning departure back to Lord Bost's camps.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros whiles away the hours before sleep with talk, drink and food. Before he turns in for the night he ensures a strong watch is kept for both external threats and internal treachery!
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon sounds wistful. "I haven't had a home-cooked meal or a hot bath or sleep in a real bed in over a week now. It feels more like over a month."

"I'll be glad to get home and see my folks for a while."

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

"Oh, thank you. This place is perfect for our needs. Would that we had found it first! I think perhaps your spoils are much greater than ours. There are few places like this in the hill country. It's so solid and defensible.

We'd welcome the aid of a healer."
    He waves forward three of his men, two with leg wounds, bound in strips of cloth, and a third who holds his arm close to his chest, but seems unbloodied.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

Ashala watches Milos' eyes as he assumes the profit of the keep is theirs to benefit from rather than Lord Bost's claim alone. Still, she makes a smile, breathes in, and looks glad to put her efforts toward aiding in his men's well being.

She'll inspect and redress the wounds of the men with injured legs first as they have clear and obvious wounds. She'll take her time on the other, theorizing that he has a bruised or busted rib or two, or that he has a broken arm or wrist, but she won't know until further inspection.

"Of course, there is another healer among us who might take a look at you all in the morning to see how you fair. Perhaps he'll see something I might miss." She makes light conversation with the men as she tends their wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal DC10: (1d20)[10]
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-02-15 at 09:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1478

The men's leg wounds seem reasonably well bound, though now with the time and fresh water nearby, they can be better cleaned and treated. The other almost certainly has some injury to his ribs, though it doesn't seem too bad. The men likewise engage her in light banter as a distraction while she deals with their wounds. Milos muses that perhaps they could stay a few days while their fellows heal, and offers to hunt to supply the camp or pay coin in exchange. He doesn't come right out and ask, though, and it's clear that the men willingly depart in the morning if further shelter isn't offered.

The men talk of their home in the hill country to the east and how, by being just too itinerant, they'd become strangers in their own land. It's clear that these men are not all the original group; they'd lost allies in battle. Skirmishes with goblins in hill caves, chasing away spirits and guarding people, places, and things, and even standing in as groomsmen-for-hire to protect a bride from would-be abductors. How much of it was true was anyone's guess, but they told a good story in only slightly accented Common. An expert might of called it hill country Traldaran.

They do ask about the lumbercamp, the party's patron, other nearby towns, and they listen politely to any stories of the party's adventures.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cut to morning.
    Forum Rules

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios sleeps deeply after the tiring day before, and is seen early in the morning sitting with Jeanne, exchanging notes between their two spellbooks. He is keenly attentive, and wrapt in concentration.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros indicates that he is not opposed to remaining at the keep for a few days, but a messenger needs to be sent to Lord Bost.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

11. - Top - End - #1481

RangerGuy

Mycah busies himself with preparations for the journey back to Lord Bost's manor and doing what he can to aid those will be staying to man the keep.
    "Perhaps a couple of us could return and update Lord Bost on what has happened here while the rest remain for the time being. Lady Ashala and I could go back with a couple men?"

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm fine with that proposal so long as no one sees any problems with that.

"The men from the east would be useful to have around. Perhaps some of the riders would wish to come with Mycah and I as representatives.

"Also, I believe it is wise to allow the warriors who claimed the keep to ensure things stay in line here. I think those who are cautious to offer trust should feel assured by this arrangement."

Ash will speak with Milos and invite a couple men through him (possibly himself included) if there are no objections.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looks much better after a good night's sleep in the company of a lot of people. His complexion is no longer faintly gray, and there are no longer terrible bags under his eyes.

He talks about the adventures and battles he participated in with the lumbermen with boyish enthusiasm.

He also asks Milos and his men questions about -them-. Brandon is no longer as paranoid as he was the other day, when he was weakened by pain and blood loss, but he still doesn't trust Milos, though he is also too polite to outright accuse them of underhandedness.

14. - Top - End - #1484

Milos agrees to take two men with him to meet Lord Bost and leave the other four, the wounded and one other, here at the keep. He speaks freely with Brandon and seems genuinely interested in the party's adventures to date.

It is not long after sunrise that everyone is ready to depart. Talsarios and Jeanne, though the first to rise are the last to assemble in the courtyard, their arcane discussions completed.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sure Ash is about to head out. Anyone who wants to join her say so, anyone who intends to stay, narrate that.

Unless ordered to accompany the traveling party, all the lumbermen and workers will remain at the keep.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-02-20 at 06:27 PM. Reason: comma splice
    Forum Rules

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

Putting away his spell book, Talsarios moves to where he can address all the adventurers at once.
    "I say everyone," he starts, cheerfully, raising his voice a little: "what are you all planning to do next? You see, I'm aware that I only latched onto your group because I was lost, but I've come to think of you as allies and friends over the last few days. I'd like to tag along, if I may, or at least keep in touch. So, my question is, or rather, my questions are: Where next? What plans?"

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash is ready to head out bright and early. She seemed a little groggy, but still dutiful and efficient.
    She'd have finished up her work observing the status of the workers and guardsmen at the keep, checking to see if they are adequately supplied and the like. She'll take her report with her to Lord Bost, though she may have to just remember her findings rather than write them down unless there was some parchment and ink here for her to use.
    She'd be waiting just by the front gate before the draw bridge for all those who wished to join her group's journey back to town.

To Talsarios, she'd reply, "You're welcome to join us back to town where we'll report the successful taking of the keep and the details on those who have aided in this mission, including yourself. Perhaps the lord will have more to offer you." She shrugs as she does not presume to offer more than just the possibility.

She'll put her helmet on and head out when all are accounted for.

17. - Top - End - #1487

Devin seems well-prepared to take command of the outpost. He gives her a brief description of the planned watches, planned improvements, and rundown of their supplies. With some hunting and gathering, the keep should be able to hold out a fortnight, though there are no niceties like fresh food, bedding, or the like.
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stefan decides that he'd like to follow along with Ash's group.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros is ready to head back, he nods in the direction of Stefan and Talsarios to acknowledge their fellowship.

20. - Top - End - #1490

RangerGuy

Mycah indicates his desire to travel back with Ash and the others. The woodsman is eager to get back into the forest and out of the keep. An open camp is one thing, but the mass of the stone keep makes him uneasy.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon smiles at the thought of going back home. Then he remembers something and speaks in a low voice, waiting for a moment when non-party-members are relatively far away and out of earshot.

"We really do have to get back to town as quickly as possible, to unload the spoils into coffers. And let's please not mention the silver and gold to anyone on our journey back."

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Ogre in the Playground

"So, to Threshold then." Talsarios gathers his equipment and makes ready to leave.

Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios will follow the party, somewhat quiet and subdued after all the activity of the last few days, as he thinks about what he needs to do next.

(I'm going to be away on business this coming week, so I don't know if I'll be able to post. If Roland would be so kind as to fill in any other appropriate actions for the scholar, then that'd be great!)
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-02-26 at 05:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1493

The party heads off into the woods, back toward Threshold. Everyone but the riders from the east have headed this way recently, so getting lost was less likely, though possible. Ash takes the vanguard and the riders take the rear, willing to let their local hosts lead the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Random encounter table rolls coming up! Anything special about the marching order should be mentioned now...
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Ogre in the Playground

As he trudges along (making sure to stay close - but behind - the armoured fellows at the front of the party), Talsarios look up ahead at the horizon with a quizzical expression.
    "Is it far to Threshold?" he asks Brandon.

25. - Top - End - #1495

RangerGuy

"I'll take point and try to keep us from running into any trouble. Unless there are objections?" Mycah pauses, and glances at Ash - almost subconsciously.
    Spoiler
    Show

Assuming no one offers in his place, Mycah will move out ahead of the bulk of the party, disappearing among the trees where he feels more at home. He'll move along at a steady pace far enough ahead that he can't hear the noise of the party following behind. He'll try to stay alert to the forest sounds around him and pause if it seems too quiet or otherwise abnormal. He simply carries his staff as a walking stick, his bow unstrung on his back. If he senses any danger, he'll move off the trail into the shadows of the trees and ready his bow at that point.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon says, "I think I should take point. I can't move silently like you can, but a single arrow from ambush won't kill me. You, however..."

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros trudges along, content to allow lighter feet to take the lead.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Hopefully we don't run into any wild boars today! I've seen just about my fair share of fighting these past few weeks." Stefan muses while walking.

Still, it's great to be heading back to Threshold. I've been so wiped lately, and I don't even know why. I wonder if it's the trail rations I've been eating? Hm, maybe a good meal back at home will pick me up.

Stefan twirls his sling back and forth while he walks, staying near the back of the pack, just in case.

"It was tough, but we won. We drove off the goblins, captured the fort, and even met a pretty girl." Stefan winks at Nathros, enjoying the veteran dwarf's stoic camaraderie.

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Ogre in the Playground

As the young warrior is distracted by tactics, Talsarios grinds his teeth momentarily before shrugging and shaking his head.
    "I say, Stefan, Nathros," he begins, falling in to walk with the priest and the dwarf, "how far is it to this Threshold place?"

30. - Top - End - #1500

RangerGuy

When Brandon speaks up and expresses his desire to take point, Mycha shrugs and falls back to the main group.
    "If you want it, I won't argue the point, Brandon. I can hang back with the others, it doesn't matter to me."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll: