New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 52 of 84 FirstFirst ... 22742434445464748495051525354555657585960616277 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1531
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Mycah rises early and seeks out a few of his friends to have breakfast with. He'll tell the tale of his adventure to the keep and ask what, if anything, has happened in camp while he was gone. When the time comes for them to get to work, he finds his way back to the others and be ready to leave with them for Threshold.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

2. - Top - End - #1532
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon's improvement in both body and mood is clear from his appetite. He eats a lot of breakfast before going to strap on his armor and assemble his weapons.

3. - Top - End - #1533
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

In the early morning, Talsarios will find Abdok finishing up his watch and about to return to a bunk to sleep. His language skills are passable, but he lacks the vocabulary for much. His knowledge of anything approaching kobold culture is even worse. He was little, then he was with the big boss and meanies. The big men from the camp killed the big boss, and they are his friends now. He works at the camp. He doesn't recall more than a few of his own people, and they clearly had a dysfunctional relationship in which Abdok was abused and neglected by his fellows.

Mycah's camp friends report the goings-on during his absence. A new load of lumber was dragged in from the north and prepared for sending downriver. The old mill is up and running. More labor was hired from town to run the mill, and now there'll probably be even more hired to man the keep. They had many questions about it, some about the keep, some about the quality of the woods, and many about the goblins. They can't talk long, they all need to work, but they're happy to share tales while they can.

Bost's ship is available to ferry the party across an hour or so after sunrise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to narrate your boat ride across and arrive at Bost's keep. If you weren't playing last time the party was there, now would be a good time to go back and read that portion.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

4. - Top - End - #1534
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros breaks his fast with whichever companions are available before preparing his equipment for travel by boat. Afterwards, he happily boards the vessel and, given that the weather is pleasant enough, spends the voyage on the deck, enjoying travelling without relying on his feet.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #1535

RangerGuy

Mycah boards the ferry and relaxes as well as he can during the crossing. He knew Lord Bost, of course, as his employer, but hadn't had the privilege of a visit to the manor. He tries to hide his nervousness from the others and takes in the sights.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

6. - Top - End - #1536
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon muses. "I can't believe it's only been a few days since we last rode this ferry. It seems so long ago."

"I guess the lumber men didn't encounter any more fire beetles. They would have been screaming bloody murder about ghosts again if so."

7. - Top - End - #1537

The trip downriver is brief and uneventful. The Windrush River, forks around old town Threshold, an island in the middle of the river. The boat passes on the east side of the island, away from the bustling port of Threshold proper. Passing even the southern border of town, the boat eventually comes upon Lord Bost's manor, an imposing wooden keep complete with towers. The boatman and his apprentice tie up the boat and help any who need it to disembark.

Up on the hill above, the manor's great gate and door are opened as the party sets their feet on solid ground. The blonde matron waves to the party, greeting them as the approach, and instructs them once more into the large hall.

The interior of the fort is dark, illuminated by the morning sunlight from various high-set windows, though the occasional sconce bears a presently unlit torch. Beyond the narrow entryway is a short hallway with an oversized door on either side, and beyond that lies a large hall reminiscent of the halls of the northern jarls of faraway Osterland. A massive wooden table runs perpendicular to the entryway and at the far end sits Lord Bost, for those who would recognize him, a tall, broad-shouldered man with coppery red hair, a full beard, and a broad smile. He sits at the head of the long table, but rises as the first of his brave adventurers enter the room.

"Good morning, all. You have fared well in your travels, I hear! Please, sit, let us speak."
    Forum Rules

8. - Top - End - #1538
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros waits for one of his companions to take the lead.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

9. - Top - End - #1539
    Ogre in the Playground

Ashala removes her helmet and cups it under her arm. Then she stands at attention next to a chair along the side of the table and delivers what she perceives as the most relevant of news.
    "My Lord, the task is complete and the mission successful. There are some who have joined in your goals since your warriors left and even others from a village called Helmond from the far hills to the east, riders, who seek opportunity within your lands and these parts."

She waits for the others to arrive at their chairs before seating herself.

10. - Top - End - #1540
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon sits. He says nothing for now, seeming content to let Ash do the talking.

11. - Top - End - #1541
    Ogre in the Playground

Straightening his travel-stained clothes, Talsarios stand forth and speaks.
    "Lord Bost," says the Thyatian with a deep and courteous bow. "I am Alastor Talsarios of House Talsarios, lately of Thyatis, now a traveller seeking knowledge. In my travels to your fiefdom I was waylaid by goblins and barely escaped with my life. I have found succour and aid among your brave folk, and together exacted vengeance on the goblins who slew my party and servants. I owe you and your folk my gratitude, and I am at your service."
    Again, Talsarios bows formally, both to the Lord Bost and to the party with him, before he sits.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-03-18 at 05:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1542

"I am glad to hear it, Ashala. I told you these new experts were stalwart. Like men of the old country. I have many more questions about my new holding, but we can discuss that after our guests have departed. I'm certain that young master Bor, at least, is eager to return to town. Give my regards to your folks.

Your friend Sid has returned to town by the way, as well as the young herbalist who set out with you. She had a change of heart, I guess."

He returns Alastor Talsarios' bow, "welcome to Karameikos, and our little spot here in Threshold. I am sorry to hear of your losses." He pauses thoughtfully. "This land holds many dangers, but also great promise. I hope it is good to you. As you are here without patron or employ, I will consider putting your talents to good use. He narrows his eyes a bit, plainly making an assessment of the young man.

"I've pay for each of you that I sent out. Thank you for protecting my people and advancing my cause. Now that you've come to my attention, I'm reluctant to let you go. There is always work to be done, and you seem to work well together and honorably. I'm sure I'll be contacting you all soon, if you're amenable to further service."

He waves in a small Traldaran man who bears a coffer. The man pays out fifty gold to those that set out from his lumber camp several days ago.

"To our visitors from the eastern hills, welcome. I've long been interested in what lies that way, though I've little use for a land without trees." He chuckles. "I can certainly trade you tales of our land for yours."

"To all, please eat and drink as you please and feel welcome to take your leave as you please. I think perhaps you'll find the town of Threshold a bit more interesting with a victory under your belt and some coin in your pockets."

He waves for all to partake of the sideboard of food and tapped keg of ale. He finds his way to the leader of the riders and has a brief discussion with them.

He likewise pulls Ash aside to get the long version of her journey.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-03-18 at 11:40 PM.
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #1543
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros eats and drinks heartily, enjoying the reward and speculates as to what might lie ahead. "Fifty gold is a decent sum, but I would wager there is more to be earned, or seized, in the days ahead."

14. - Top - End - #1544
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios eats with as much restraint and decorum as his travel-hungry belly will allow. Seeing that the lord is engaged in politicking and conversations - and being quite used to not having the attention of the head of a grand household - he looks elsewhere for advice.
    "Nathros," he asks the dwarf, "you are no doubt an outsider in these lands, too. Where might I find lodgings?"

15. - Top - End - #1545
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon stands and bows to Lord Bost.

"Glad to be of service, Lord Bost, and I'm sure I'll return when you call me."

He mentions to the rest of the party, "I'm going home and seeing my folks while I can. Also drop off most of the gold with my mum."

"I'll see you all in a few days or so."

Bran hesitates, "Unless you want to stay at our farm? We -could- put you up if you were short on coin, I guess."

Brandon seems be reluctant, but he's also too bound by courtesy to not offer.

16. - Top - End - #1546
    Ogre in the Playground

Ashala gives a proper report, to her uncle, as a soldier would. She'll partake in the food he's offered along side her traveling companions. She'll find lodgings at an inn in town rather than bother her uncle to stay here. If he asks about it she'll reply, "I'd rather get more familiar with this town and the people here in before the next mission you send me on, M' Lord." With that, she'd bow and say good bye with a smile.

17. - Top - End - #1547

Lord Bost generously refreshes the buffet and opens another keg, if needed. The manor staff passes through, sampling the food as lunchtime comes and goes. The Traladaran aide and blonde house matron interrupt the Lord's discussions from time to time to discuss business, occasionally with a unnamed additional person or two.

Lord Bost disappears for a short time with the three riders to have that private talk. He appears pleased upon returning, as do the riders who take one more run at the comestibles before departing. The leader wishes everyone safe travels before departing for parts unknown.

Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously, some PCs have posed questions to others. This narrative wasn't intended to block you from answering those - please do that. I just wanted to keep up the pace and set a bit more scenery with Lord Bost as an earthy, unpretentious nobleman who is generous to his people.
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #1548
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frivolous View Post
    Bran hesitates, "Unless you want to stay at our farm? We -could- put you up if you were short on coin, I guess."

Brandon seems be reluctant, but he's also too bound by courtesy to not offer.
    "Oh, no matter, Nathros," says Talsarios. Then, to Brandon: "I should be glad of a bed on your family farm, Brandon, but I must pay my way in whatever work your house find fitting. I hunt well enough - perhaps I can aid your gamekeeper?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios, used to the upper / merchant class idea of a "farm", is a little clueless as to what work he is likely to end up with. He'll go with Brandon, apparently oblivious to the other's reluctance - maybe Talsarios is only thinking of his own needs?
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-03-20 at 04:57 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1549
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, the inns are pretty reasonable for what they are and might suit you better than lodging on a farm," Nathros says between mouthfuls of mutton. "I would be happy to show you around a bit, but as you note I am a stranger here myself."

20. - Top - End - #1550
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios shrugs. "Normally Nathros, yes, but frankly I'm quite out of funds. I need to work for my living quarters."
    He smiles at Brandon. "That would be agreeable to your folk, wouldn't it?"
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-03-20 at 02:06 PM. Reason: grammar!

21. - Top - End - #1551

RangerGuy

Mycah has sat quietly, more than a little subdued by the opulent (in his eyes) surroundings and the presence of Lost Bost himself. He had seen the man in the lumber camps, of course, but had little direct contact, being essentially a camp rat/servants child.

After following the others' conversations for some time, and a cup of ale or two, he is able to relax. As Bost makes to depart, he gathers his nerve and approahes. "My Lord, my name is Mycah and I've grown up in your camp, learning everything I know from the scouts and other warriors in your employ. I just wanted to thank you, and say that I'd be more than willing to carry on with Lady Ash... err, Ashala that is... and umm... do what I can to help." He trails off in embarrassment and bows, departing as quickly as he can get away with.

Rejoining his friends at the table, he catches wind of the conversation between Nathros, Talsarios and Brandon. "I'd like to go to Threshold with you Nathros. I never got to town much and would like to see more of it. I don't have much money though. Is it expensive?"

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

22. - Top - End - #1552
    Titan in the Playground

"Depends what you decide to do; a man can live frugally in Threshold, some have to!"

23. - Top - End - #1553
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    Talsarios shrugs. "Normally Nathros, yes, but frankly I'm quite out of funds. I need to work for my living quarters."
    He smiles at Brandon. "That would be agreeable to your folk, wouldn't it?"

Brandon Bor

Brandon looks aghast.

"Work while you're our guest? That's sick. My folks would never hear of it!"

"All you really have to do is stay put and let them feed you."

"Um, but if you do come over, let's not talk about adventuring much, all right? You can talk in general, but no details. I don't want them to worry."

The Bor farm
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brandon is actually quite high in social class. He's not a noble, but his family is rich and the farm is probably quite big and prosperous, and it employs maybe dozens of people.

24. - Top - End - #1554

Lord Bost nods sagely in response to Ashala's report and her decision to stay in town. He likewise smiles at the young scout, narrowing his eyes in assessment, though whether he recognizes the boy or not isn't apparent from his face. As Mycah begs off quickly, Lord Bost takes a moment before returning to the gathering.

By late afternoon, Lord Bost's house staff begins ushering out any remaining guests. Lord Bost himself disappears at some point, as well.

Those who head north into town can travel the coast road right into Threshold proper, well, once they make it through the south gate. Admission is without fee and generally without incident, though visitors are warned that most weapons must be surrendered (and will be held at the town hall) and that no magic will be tolerated in town.

Threshold is a town of several thousand, it is nonetheless spread out and has an open feeling. A bustling shipping district lies along the river bank and active marketplace with both permanent and temporary merchants lies just in land. The coast road continues north straight through the town and right through market district. Built on a slight hill lies the town meeting hall to the west of the market place. Lodgings are spread throughout the city catering to a variety to tastes and wealth levels.

Though no proper road leads out west, there is an adequate path that heads out to the western farms of Threshold. Outside the city wall, many farms, large and small, cover the fertile land west of the city.
    Forum Rules

25. - Top - End - #1555
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios smiles: "I shall be discrete."

Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios will relax on the Bors' farm, taking his leave for a short trip to the town of Threshold as soon as guest-customs permit.
    In Threshold he will visit the local churches and pay a few coins for intercessionary prayers for Gergoras's shade, and buy some fertility votive icons - such as simple farm-animal figurines or corn-dollies or the like - as guest-gifts for his hosts (as per Thyatian tradition).
    He aims to spend just one or two of his three gold coins on this excursion.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-03-24 at 05:56 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1556
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros takes up his former lodgings and takes stock of his current wealth; the need for gainful employment weighs heavily on his shoulders and he wonders how long until Lord Bost has need of his services. Perhaps a walk around town the following morning will ease his mind.

27. - Top - End - #1557
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Before the others separate for the next few days, Brandon says, "Let's all buy lots of oil."

"Oil has been one of our best weapons in the fight against the gobbos. I don't ever intend on being out of oil again."

Spoiler
    Show
    Brandon will buy 12 flasks of oil before he resumes adventuring.

28. - Top - End - #1558
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros groans and foresees the young Brandon all alight as a result of carrying twelve flasks of flammable liquid on his person. He makes a mental note not to stand too near his companion and any uncovered flame in the future. "That is not my reading of events, but every man makes his own fate."

29. - Top - End - #1559

Threshold is beautiful this spring afternoon, and the western farms are even more so. The marketplace remains open until dark, at which time the outdoor booths and most of the storefronts close for the night. Groups wander toward lamp-lit inns, dark flophouses, and back toward the port where a couple ships are moored.

Spoiler
    Show
    Market transactions can be had at listed cost. Just add to your sheet and deduct the coin.

Transactions such as reunions with NPC families, hosts, or contacts should be narrated now.

Then we're moving on!
    Forum Rules

30. - Top - End - #1560
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros investigates his purse and weighs it relative to the cost of plated mail armour.