New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 57 of 84 FirstFirst ... 73247484950515253545556575859606162636465666782 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1681
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Old Ways IC

As the walkers shamble into view and draw Mycah's attention, he stumbles back with a shout of alarm.
    "HELP! NATHROS! Someone get down here! Zombies!"
    The would-be scout takes a swing with the torch at the nearest of the pair (flaming club FTW!) and then moves back to keep some distance from the slow-moving undead.
    Spoiler
    Show

My understanding of the RC is that a torch can be used as a flaming club, even when unskilled, for 1d4 damage...
    ATTACK:(1d20)[19] DAMAGE:(1d20)[1]
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2012-05-07 at 10:35 AM.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

2. - Top - End - #1682
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Sensing a bit of urgency in Nathros' voice, Ash remembers the rope in her pack. She keeps herself braced with the rope and Nathros on the end and says, "Alanna! There's another rope in my pack. See if you can get enough leverage with it for Mycah to climb up."

Upon hearing Mycah's words, Ash adds, "And maybe grab out a couple oil flasks while your at it." Her voice sounds strained as her teeth are gritted and she's trying not to drop Nathros now that she's keeping him up all on her own.

Why did Brandon think he had to go instead of Alanna? I needed him here... ****it!
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-05-07 at 10:33 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1683
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios helps get the rope out, with a call of "Excuse me, madam!" while he rummages briefly in Ashla's pack. He presses one end into Alanna's hands and - still holding the near end of the rope - throws the loose end down the hole: "Mycah! Here comes the rope!"

Are we strong enough to pull him up..?
    he thinks, looking at Alanna, and knowing his own limits.

"By the gods, quick! Brandon! Come back!" he shouts toward the entrance.

4. - Top - End - #1684
    Barbarian in the Playground

As she takes the proffered rope and gets ready to pull, Alanna has a thousand confused thoughts running through her head, clamoring for attention.
    Zombies? Oh no! Maybe I should've gone down there... No! We need to get Mycah out, then we can deal with them... I'm glad I got plenty of practice with ropes when I was young -- no rope burn! But am I strong enough? I guess I'm about average, but I've been wearing armor all day... then again, I have a little help...
    All she can manage to say is, "Talsarios, you can take one hand off the rope and find some oil!" as she slides Ash's pack over with her foot.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1685
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon, engaged in persuading the miners to make the party a ladder, runs back to help pull Mycah up.

6. - Top - End - #1686
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The second rope hits the ground at the bottom pit and Nathros begins to make a hasty descent.

The zombies close in with Mycah. Mycah bashes his flaming torch into the nearest zombie. It recoils, but only slightly.

The other lashes out with a vicious claw and catches Mycah across the neck.

Nathros reaches the bottom of the rope, landing beside Mycah and the pair of undead. Alanna, Talsarios, and Ash work to manage the ropes and Brandon rushes back to join them.

Spoiler
    Show

Mycah -2 hp

The zombies automatically lose initiative, PCs' turn.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

7. - Top - End - #1687
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros unslings his shield and draws his short sword, yelling for Mycah to get up the rope, "Looks like we found our missing men."

Spoiler
    Show

Nathros, Level Two Dwarf: AC 3(1); HP 9(9); THAC0 19.

Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[15]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[3]

It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

8. - Top - End - #1688
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash tries to think quickly. She tosses Brandon the rope that she got from Mycah as he arrives. "I won't take long, but don't drop me," she says to him with precision and sternness in her voice as she drops her pack and coils the rope around her forearm. She holds her other hand over her sword hilt - ready to draw it upon her decent.

She'll wait a brief moment for Brandon to get hold of the rope.

If her stunt is successful, she'll skid down the mossy slope and swing down into the cavern below, sliding down the rope quickly and slashing at a zombie or letting go all together to tumble on the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics DC 13: (1d20)[5]

9. - Top - End - #1689

Alanna, knowing her limits, decides it's best not to try anything fancy and holds onto the rope. She waits until a moment for reasonable action presents itself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1690

Talsarios, Alanna, and Brandon now each stand at the top of the shaft manning the two ropes.

Mycah backpedals toward the sound of Nathros' voice and away from the zombies. He swings his torch wildly but fails to make contact with either creature. {DM action}

Nathros steps forward with shield and sword, looking to cover the scout's retreat. He lays steel into nearest zombie, cutting a deep gash across its chest.

Ash skids down the slope, braces herself to careen off the far wall of the tunnel, and lands just behind Nathros, sword drawn. Mycah's wavering torch casts flickering light across the scene before her.

The zombies seem to take no notice of the retreating scout or the new appearance. They merely turn to the nearby dwarf and mindlessly claw at him. They fail to pierce his fine new mail.

Spoiler
    Show

PCs' turn
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-05-11 at 10:31 AM.
    Forum Rules

11. - Top - End - #1691
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros attempts to drive his short sword into a zombie brain pan!

Spoiler
    Show

Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[13]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[5]

It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

12. - Top - End - #1692
    Ogre in the Playground

"My spells will be no help here," Talsarios mutters, "and I'm not nearly strong enough to pull anyone up... Should I call for help with the ropes, so we can all get in there?"

The scholars momentarily looks about at his two companions for direction - then decides for himself: "Hoy there! Help us with these ropes, won't you!" he hollers toward the entrance.

13. - Top - End - #1693
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah prudently stays behind the cover provided by Nathros and Ash. Not willing to abandon them now that they came to his aid, he transfers the torch to his left hand, drawing a dagger with his right.
    Taking careful aim (!) he throws at the undamaged zombie, deeming it a safer target than the one Nathros is engaged with.

Spoiler
    Show

Mycah, Level 2 Thief:
    HP: 1/3 AC: 6 Thac0: 19 (18 Missile)

Dagger (Thrown) Attack:(1d20+1)[2] Damage:(1d4)[3]
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2012-05-09 at 10:05 AM.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

14. - Top - End - #1694
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon braces his booted feet and nods to Talsarios.

"Go. Grab some men and get 'em over here."

15. - Top - End - #1695
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash draws her shield off the clip on her back and swings high with her sword at the nearest worker-zombie, hoping to cut it's neck in retaliation for their attack on Mycah. She'll make a point of staying along side Nathros and between the zombies and Mycah.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sword Thac0 18:(1d20)[16]
    Sword Damage:(1d8)[7]

16. - Top - End - #1696

Alanna listens nervously to the sounds of battle from the pit below.
    I don't want anyone to die... I just met these guys!
    Turning to Brandon, she asks, "Do you think Mycah and Ash and Nathros can handle the zombies?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1697
    Ogre in the Playground

Alastor Talsarios

"I don't know!" Talsarios replies. "We've never met such things before."
    Doing a little dance of indecision, the Thyatian scholar hops from foot to foot for a second before dashing out of the cave to grab any of the workers he can see outside.
    "Come quick! We need help with ropes!" he demands, adding "You - go get some spikes and a hammer to secure the lines. Rest of you - with me, now!"
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-05-10 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Replying to Alanna

18. - Top - End - #1698

Talsarios hands off his rope, now slack like the rest of them given the climbers have reached the bottom. Brandon now holds two ropes and Alanna the third as the scholar runs back to the cave mouth and begins to bellow as he runs back to the camp to seek aid.

Below, Nathros cleaves the zombie before him across the chest. It lurches uncertainly before collapsing to the cave floor.

Mycah tosses his dagger but it flies high and sails into the darkness ahead. Blood pours from his neck.

Ashala drives her sword hard into the zombie as it shuffles toward her. She catches it in the shoulder, but it continues on seemingly oblivious to the terrible wound. It rakes a claw at her but catches only her shield. The force of the blow is surprising and the sound of claw on metal is a grating one.

Spoiler
    Show
    PCs' turn
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-05-10 at 01:26 PM.
    Forum Rules

19. - Top - End - #1699

Not knowing what to do, Alanna does the first thing that comes to mind: she mutters prayer after prayer under her breath to every god she can think of -- maybe one of them will prove helpful.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1700
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros aids Ashala, seeking to finish the last zombie if her sword arm falters!

Spoiler
    Show

Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[14]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[7]

21. - Top - End - #1701
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

If Nathros' blow is not enough, Ash will take another slash at the zombie.
    If his hit was successful in defeating it, she'll rush to Mycah's aid and attempt to bind his neck wound to stop the bleeding.

Die - Again! You dead, unnatural manifestation of evil. Go back the the dust where you belong!

Curses, Mycah! Hold on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sword Thac0 18:(1d20)[19]
    Current HP: 11/11.
    Current AC: 1.
    Healing DC 10:(1d20)[14]
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-05-11 at 09:38 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1702
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops, forgot Damage Roll.
    (1d8)[2]

23. - Top - End - #1703

If Nathros and Ash finished off the zombie, Alanna hears the sounds of combat die down and listens as Ash tends to Mycah. "Is everything all right? Do you need any help?"
    If they didn't, she continues praying.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1704

Nathros and Ash each cut into the remaining undead and it falls to the ground. Its eyes as uncaring about that result as it was about its prior attacks. The cavern falls silent save for the constant rustling of bat wings.

Talsarios continues his sprint back to the builders' camp. Several of the workers hastily grab up their belongings at the sound of his yelling and head back toward town in a panic. Others merely huddle in their tents hoping to be ignored. A half-dozen or so step out to meet him, though they don't head toward him to close the gap, but simply wait for him to reach them, grabbing up rope and spiked and hammers, as instructed, and anything else that seems useful to them.
    Forum Rules

25. - Top - End - #1705
    Ogre in the Playground

"Come on! Quickly, now chaps! There's no danger at the top of the cave, just some stranded folk down a hole who need urgent help!" Talsarios waves his arms about in an encouraging manner, gesturing back up at the cave.

Spoiler
    Show
    As soon as he's got two or three workfolk following - or at least approaching - with appropriate kit, Talsarios runs back up with a call of "Well done! Follow me!"
    He doesn't slow down to let them keep up, trusting them to follow at their best pace.

26. - Top - End - #1706
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

As the man dies for the last time and falls to the ground, Ash turns to Mycah. She drops her sword and shield beside her, tosses off her helmet, and removes her gauntlets.

Her eyes are still fierce from battle, but her focus is completely on Mycah and the blood around his neck. "Priest? We may need you down here," she calls up to Alanna.

Her expression begins to change to slightly saddened as she tears off a piece of her long red cloak and begins wrapping it snuggly around Mycah's wound. I can only hope this will be enough for now.

To Mycah, she speaks calmly, "Sit down and try to hold still. You're gonna be fine."

Spoiler
    Show
    If another heal check is needed, here's my roll. ^_^
    Heal DC 13: (1d20)[18]

27. - Top - End - #1707
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for double posting. The DC was 10, but it didn't work anyways. My bad.

28. - Top - End - #1708
    Titan in the Playground

"Best haul these bodies up and see if they can be identified."

29. - Top - End - #1709
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon has been listening with a frown on his face. As the sounds of battle die off, he yells down the hole.

"How is it? What are you fighting? Is everybody all right?"

30. - Top - End - #1710

When Brandon asks his question, Alanna says, "I think they've been fighting zombies. And Mycah might be hurt..." When she hears Ash's voice, she calls down, "What's wrong? Is someone hurt? How badly? I can only cast the spell once today, but I have a spell that will heal any light wounds." Turning to her companion(s, if Talsarios has arrived yet), she asks, "Do I need to go down there?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show