New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 58 of 84 FirstFirst ... 83348495051525354555657585960616263646566676883 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1711
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Nathros calls up, "Looks like our two missing men fell prey to the evil of necromancy. We have ended their undeath for now, but we best haul the corpses up in order to get them blessed and put to rest by a priest. As was suspected, there is more to this than two unfortunate workers, there is dark magic here."

Nathros examines the bodies in order to determine if they can be safely and relatively wholly hauled up with ropes.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2012-05-12 at 07:57 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

2. - Top - End - #1712
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Talsarios' words don't gain him any additional recruits, but those that assembled grab up their ropes, tackle, tools, and the like and begin running behind the scholar to the cave mouth. Others do come out of their tents to watch the goings-on.

Mycah slumps against the wall a few feet behind the shaft and holds his hand to his neck hoping to slow the bleeding. {DM action}

Ashala's efforts at first aid seems to relax the young scout, but she knows as she finishes applying it that she hasn't really stopped the bleeding or effectively dressed the wound.

Nathros' inspection of the bodies shows that they are reasonably whole and could be hoisted out like any other corpse. They each have on their belt a pouch of flint & steel and a small knife.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #1713
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Still holding onto the rope, Brandon tells the workers, "Bad news, fellows. We think we may have found some of your missing men."

"We'll be pulling up the bodies, but we need to descend as a whole party, which means we want some kind of rope hooked very securely up here so we can climb back up when we need to."

"We'd be very obliged if you would help us do that. You have the experience needed, and we don't."

4. - Top - End - #1714
    Ogre in the Playground

"Did we win?" Talsarios breathlessly asks as he arrives - then louder, calling into the hole: "Did you win? Is everyone hale and hearty, what?"

5. - Top - End - #1715
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    "Did we win?" Talsarios breathlessly asks as he arrives - then louder, calling into the hole: "Did you win? Is everyone hale and hearty, what?"
    Brandon reports, "Nathros didn't mention anything, so I guess we both won and didn't lose anyone."

6. - Top - End - #1716
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros secures the bodies for hauling up and suggests Ashala keep an eye out for any more of their kind nearby. "Better get some more of our companions down here, as well."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

7. - Top - End - #1717
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah tries to lie still, and let Ashala tend to his wound. He keeps his eyes on hers, and tries to assure her as well as he can. Squeezing her hand with his own, he smiles weakly. "Thank you - not dead yet. That was not so fun though..."

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

8. - Top - End - #1718
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash looks relieved to see Mycah surviving, despite her failure to bind his wound well enough. "Perhaps Alanna can help you better. A wound like this could put you out for the day to recover, but I've never seen the healing magics at work before. Or magic at all, for that matter. With any luck, you'll be back in the fray in only a few minutes." She smiles back at him sympathetically.

Hearing Nathros' suggestion, Ash squeezes Mycah's hand back with assurance. Then her expression becomes more resolute again as she re-dons her armor and weaponry. She'll stay alert and watchful for more threats with a protective and defensive stance toward the rest of the cave.

9. - Top - End - #1719
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Hey, guys?" Alanna calls down the hole. "Some new guys got here, and I think we're gonna be coming down... Hang in there, all right?"
    Turning to Brandon and Talsarios, she asks, "Should I go down ahead and use my healing magic?"
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1720

The workers take Brandon's direction and quickly pound in some pitons and tie off both the ropes. They also setup a single block and tackle to hoist up the dead.

Ash can see most of the room, but the far end, opposite where Mycah sits, is still dark and unexplored. The sound of workmen above and rustling bats is all than can be heard.
    Forum Rules

11. - Top - End - #1721
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash borrows Mycah's torch or finds the other one that was dropped down before and relights it.

She'll put her shield over her back so that she can investigate the remaining darkness with her sword in her right hand and the torch in her left.

She'll proceed very cautiously, uninterested in provoking anything that hasn't already been provoked by them.

Spoiler
    Show
    AC becomes 2.
    HP remains 11/11.
    Alertness DC13:(1d20)[20] for anything that remains a threat down here in the immediate vicinity... or anything else of interest.

12. - Top - End - #1722
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

As soon as the pitons are inserted and the rope is secure, Brandon very cautiously lowers himself into the hole using the rope.

13. - Top - End - #1723

Alanna watches as Brandon lowers himself down into the hole. She calls out after she thinks a reasonable amount of time has passed for him to have reached the bottom. She repeats this procedure as many times as necessary until he has finished climbing. When he's at the bottom of the pit and no longer using the rope, she says, "If nobody says not to, I'm going down to tend to Mycah. If he needs it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1724
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros oversees the extraction of the corpses. "Not the fate I would hope for my corporeal remains. Makes you wonder about their spirits."

15. - Top - End - #1725

RangerGuy

With no immediate danger, Mycah sits, back to the wall and waits for Alanna to arrive. He continues to keep one hand pressed to the wound in his neck as Ash showed him...

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

16. - Top - End - #1726
    Ogre in the Playground

"Go on, Alanna, I'll follow in a moment."
    Talsarios instructs the workers at the top of the rope to keep a light burning here: "So we can find out way back in a hurry."
    Then, asking for a little advice on climbing with ropes, he descends.

17. - Top - End - #1727

Ashala relights Brandon's torch from Mycah's and begins to move forward, slowly into the cavern. The bats rustle uncomfortably overhead but keep to themselves. The cavern comes to an end ahead at stone block wall. Tunnels lead off to the right (north) and left (south). The tunnels are smaller and more rough hewn, and they proceed only a few feet before veering off, blocking any further view down the tunnel from the entrance.

Brandon reaches the bottom and scans the scene. With two torches going and Ashala almost to the far end of the room, it was pretty well illuminated, at least for torchlight. Dark as a cellar without them he'd bet, though.

Alanna arrives to find Mycah sitting against a wall, his torch propped next to him against the wall. He sits in a dry spot against the nearest wall, holding a hand to his neck, blood soaking through the bandage. He looks pale.

The workers begin to explain the basics of climbing to Talsarios, but stop as they finish setting up their hoisting contraption. They tell him to just hold on tight to a certain part of the rope, and they lower him down with instructions to tie up the bodies one at a time and they'll haul them each up.

It takes little time and effort to send the bodies up. Above, several lights are lit to ward off the darkness and the workers drag the bodies out into the sunlight.
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #1728

Before the bodies are sent up, Alanna asks the group to wait just one minute. She kneels next to them, and wipes away a tear at the thought of what they went through. They're in a bettter place now... I bet they're glad that their bodies aren't being defiled anymore... She says a quick prayer to the gods, and asks them to bless the souls of the miners and sanctify their bodies against any further desecration.
    As the bodies are lifted to the surface, Alanna steps forward and stoops down so she and Mycah are at the same eye-level. Well, this doesn't look too good... she thinks.
    "Mycah, I'm going to cast a healing spell now," she tells him. "It'll erase some damage, but probably not all. Don't worry, it won't hurt a bit." She then begins to mumble the words and perform the delicate hand gestures of the healing spell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've cast Cure Light Wounds on Mycah, so that uses up my spell for the day. The Basic Set says that CLW heals 2 hit points of damage, and Mycah's at 1/3, so...
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2012-05-15 at 10:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1729
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros takes up his position in the marching order and waits to see what his companions want to do. "Seems there is adventure ahead."

20. - Top - End - #1730
    Ogre in the Playground

Alastor Talsarios

The Thyatian scholar dusts himself off as he reaches the bottom, and peers about in the gloom.
    "Well, as far as I recall from the hints and obsfucated comments in the schooling my magical master gave me on this most vile subject," Talsarios says as the dead are borne away, "zombies and skeletons are made by a deliberate act of evil magic. If that's right, there will be some agent here creating undead minions. We must be careful."
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-05-16 at 05:40 AM. Reason: formatting

21. - Top - End - #1731
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash gestures the torch at the tunnels near her, "Looks like there's a few choices we'll have to make before we can deal with them. There could likely be traps, but I'll fair better on the receiving end than some. It's best I go among the first, so long as a deep pit of water does not await me, that is... And we should take at least one rope with us in case we come to another obstacle or someone needs rescuing."

I'll have their head skewered with arrows for this act of evil.

22. - Top - End - #1732

Alanna makes careful holy gestures before gently touching the wounded scout. Mycah's wound closes up instantly and a feeling of wholeness comes over him.

As others approach Ash's position near the far end of the cavern, they see what she does, an end to this room and narrower paths, right and left.
    Forum Rules

23. - Top - End - #1733

As Mycah's wounds heal themselves, Alanna feels a rush of magic leave her body. Watching carefully, she is pleasantly surprised at how effective her magic was. Maybe I got lucky? she thinks.
    "How are you feeling?" she asks Mycah as she stretches out her hand to help him to his feet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1734
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, left or right; when in doubt, right is as good as right," Nathros jokes.

25. - Top - End - #1735
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon asks the sage Talsarios, "What kind of magic makes the dead rise and serve? Is it magic-user trick or a cleric trick?"

26. - Top - End - #1736

RangerGuy

Mycah sits quietly under Alanna's divine ministrations. As the spell takes effect, he shudders slightly, eyes widening in shock as a chilling wave rushes through his body, as if he'd been dunked in ice cold water. That odd feeling is followed by a warming glow, which spreads from the site of his wound and washes away the cold. He relaxes visibly and looks at the young cleric with wonder and gratitude as he lets her help him to his feet.
    "It seems I am in your debt, Alanna, thank you. That was a new experience to say the least." He shakes his head in amazement. "Best get back withe the others now, eh? I can't believe I'm good as new..."

Mycah will gather up his gear from the floor: dagger back in his belt, staff and torch in hand, then join the others. "Right is fine with me," he says. "Sorry about the scare, and thank you both for saving me," he adds, directing the words to Ashala and Nathros.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

27. - Top - End - #1737
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wizards can certainly do so, if they feel the urge... As for priests - I don't know if there are dark unholy rituals by which it might be done, but I dare say some unspeakable Immortal might drive their followers to make the attempt."
    Talsarios looks quite disturbed and disgusted by Brandon's question - trying to put himself in the position of one who would animate the dead is not a pleasing thought, apparently.
    He shakes his head, as though to cast out the nasty thought. "Let us go right. It is, after all, less sinister," he suggests with a weak smile.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-05-17 at 10:18 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1738
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash glances back halfway to reply to Mycah, "Don't mention it." She starts to turn forward again, then gives a delayed nod before turning the rest of the way back toward the tunnels.

"Right it is." She'll pass off her torch to whoever next will take it, then proceed by leading the way with either Nathros or Brandon nearest her down the right (North) tunnel.

29. - Top - End - #1739

Alanna hops up, dusts herself off, and helps Mycah up. Mace in hand, she takes her position at the back of the group, ready to go whichever way everybody else is going.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1740
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros chortles at Talsarios' continuation of his pun, then he turns to the newly healed thief. "Glad to help keep you amongst the breathing, Mycah, I would hate for the taverns and other entertainment establishments of Threshold to be deprived of your coin," he says with a wink.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2012-05-18 at 04:41 AM.