Page 59 of 84 FirstFirst ... 934495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

  1. - Top - End - #1741
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Ashala enters the tunnel, the ceiling not far over her head and the walls irregular and rather tight. Certainly, travel would have to be single file. The tunnel barely goes five feet before it jags to the left, and again not so far before jutting the other direction. Nathros' underground intuition tells him that the path is more or less headed in the same northerly direction and sloped down somewhat, though probably imperceptibly to his human companions.

    The tunnel opens up into a roughly circular cavern about twenty feet around. While she doesn't spot it right away, once the torch bearer behind her enters to room, two dark figures can be seen twenty feet overhead on the ceiling. Giant bats. They turn their bat heads in the direction of the newcomers.

    Spoiler
    Show
    PCs win initiative.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  2. - Top - End - #1742
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Bran gasps in surprise. "Those look like giant bats."

    He grits his teeth in frustration at once again having sword and shield in his hands when he really wants to hurl a dagger or arrow at a far-away opponent.

    "I'll guard Talsarios. Everyone else, shoot them!"

    He positions himself so as to hopefully cover Talsarios and intercept any attack.

  3. - Top - End - #1743
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MeanMrsMustard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Shoot, eh?"
    Alanna has her mace out already, but she's able to grab her slingshot, which she has on her person, set her mace at her feet, and hurl a rock at the bats.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I roll 1d20 to see if I hit and 1d4 for damage, right?
    If so: (1d20)[11], (1d4)[4]
    If not: I'm missing something here...
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

    Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show





  4. - Top - End - #1744
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MeanMrsMustard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, got an error message and posted twice.

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2012-05-20 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Double Post. Sorry.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

    Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show





  5. - Top - End - #1745
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Given the opportunity, Nathros jabs with his spear.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Nathros, Level Two Dwarf: AC 3(1); HP 9(9); THAC0 19.

    Attack Roll: (1D20+1)[16]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[4]

    Last edited by Matthew; 2012-05-20 at 06:42 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  6. - Top - End - #1746
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Thank you Brandon, I shall cope!" Talsarios keeps the lantern up high, and inexpertly draws the sword at his side, ready to jab at any beasts that threaten him.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If bats come within reach, Talsarios will make an unskilled attack.
    Sword attack - (1d20-1)[3] (unskilled)
    Sword damage - (1d4-1)[0] (unskilled)

  7. - Top - End - #1747
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    ASHALA

    These giant bats are clearly unnatural and pose a threat so, with them up on the ceiling and not right in front of her, Ashala will take the opportunity to drop her sword and shield, draw her bow while moving into the cave room a little more, and fire an arrow at the nearest bat.

    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 2
    HP:11/11
    Thac0: 17
    Att:(1d20)[5]
    Dmg:(1d6)[4]

  8. - Top - End - #1748
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Moving into the room with the others, Mycah will set aside his staff and prop the torch against a wall, allowing him to use his short bow as well. Taking aim, he let's fly...
    Spoiler
    Show

    Mycah, Level 2 Thief:
    HP: 3/3 AC: 6 Thac0: 19 (18 Missile)

    ATTACK:(1d20+1)[16] DAMAGE:(1d6)[2]

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  9. - Top - End - #1749
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Everyone presses into the room and the bats make their dive at the shine of Brandon and Ashala's armor. As they dive, it becomes clear that each is as nearly the same size as Nathros.

    Mycah sticks one with an arrow and Nathros skewers the other with his spear. Ash feels the force of the giant bat bowl into her and it's bite clamp onto her shoulder but her armor holds fast.

    Spoiler
    Show
    No damage to Ashala, btw.

    PCs win initiative again.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  10. - Top - End - #1750
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah lets out a horse cry as his first arrow flies true, then he sees one of the monstrous creatures latch onto Ash. "Lady Ash!" Emboldened by his success, he readies another arrow and takes aim at the bat he'd hit previously.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Mycah, Level 2 Thief:
    HP: 3/3 AC: 6 Thac0: 19 (18 Missile)

    ATTACK:(1d20+1)[8] DAMAGE:(1d6)[4]

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  11. - Top - End - #1751
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MeanMrsMustard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Alanna decides to continue attacking the same bat instead of switching between the two. Until it's close enough, she won't pick up her mace again.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Hit Points: 6/6
    Armor Class: 3
    Attack: (1d20)[19]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

    Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show





  12. - Top - End - #1752
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros redoubles his efforts.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Nathros, Level Two Dwarf: AC 3(1); HP 9(9); THAC0 19.

    Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[16]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[2]

    Last edited by Matthew; 2012-05-22 at 07:20 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  13. - Top - End - #1753
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    ASHALA

    Ash flinches as the massive critter tries to get through her defences.
    She'll drop her bow and pick up her sword and shield. Then she'll try to fight it, hoping to damage something important to it with her sword and perhaps force it to unlatch from her. Either way, she'll try to shove her shield between the bat's face and hers.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Current AC: 1
    Current HP: 11/11
    Thac0: 18
    Attack: (1d20)[10]
    Damage: (1d8)[5]

  14. - Top - End - #1754
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon shouts as he tries to attack the nearest bat to fly within reach of his sword.

    "Bad bat! Die bat!"

    Spoiler
    Show


    Attack assumes a bat flies within reach.

    Hit Points: 10/10.

    Attack: (1d20+1)[13]
    Thac0: 18
    Damage: (1d8+1)[4]


  15. - Top - End - #1755
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah finds his arrow brushed away by a giant bat wing, but Brandon strikes a solid blow. Ash uses the instant to retrieve her shield and blade from near her feet, but it's all she can do to get them interposed between her and the bat.

    Nathros withdraws his spear and jabs it right back into the bat, and Alanna strikes the same bat in the side of the head. It seems terribly wounded and begins to flap its wings furiously to back away from the assault. It wobbles through the air, trying to return to its perch near the ceiling.

    Ash feels the weight of the bat smash into her as it attempts to bite her again. But it fails to get past her shield.

    Spoiler
    Show
    PCs win initiative. You guys sure are lucky with that.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  16. - Top - End - #1756
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon Bor yells with battle joy as his blade bites into the bat.

    His mouth shouts incoherently as he twists to swing again, "Bat nought, man one! Gimme another one, swordy-sword!"

    Spoiler
    Show


    Hit Points: 10/10.

    Attack: (1d20+1)[6]
    Thac0: 18
    Damage: (1d8+1)[9]


  17. - Top - End - #1757
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    ASHALA

    If Ash can try jumping and using her body like a giant metaled club, she'll try to throw herself against the bat and into the cavern wall to knock it off her.

    If not, she'll try to get a sword swing in at it while keeping her shield in it's face as best she can.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure if there's a particular roll required for the first option. I'll roll an acrobatics in case that helps. If not, feel free to roll something for me if I can still do that maneuver some how... or something like it.

    AC: 1
    HP: 11
    Sword Att: (1d20)[17]
    Sword Dmg: (1d8)[7]

  18. - Top - End - #1758
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MeanMrsMustard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Encouraged by her success, Alanna continues to sling rocks at "her" bat. She considers taking aim at the one that's engaging Ash, but she decides it's not worth the chance that she'll accidentally hit her teammate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 6/6
    AC: 3
    Attack: (1d20)[5]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]
    And yes, we are getting pretty lucky.
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2012-05-23 at 11:09 PM.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

    Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show





  19. - Top - End - #1759
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Talsarios tries again, jabbing at the bat fighting Ash - his face a mask of concentration as he struggles to master this "swordsmanship" lark.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Alastor Talsarios, MU2
    AC 9, HP 2/2, THAC0 19

    Unskilled sword attack - (1d20)[9]
    Unskilled damage - (1d4)[1]

  20. - Top - End - #1760
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Not so fast, I will see you skewered yet!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Nathros, Level Two Dwarf: AC 3(1); HP 9(9); THAC0 19.

    Attack Roll: (1d20)[11]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[6]

    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  21. - Top - End - #1761
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Frustrated by his miss, Mycah tries to focus his thoughts and takes aim at the bat struggling it's way back towards the ceiling. He draws back the bow string and lets fly once more...
    Spoiler
    Show

    Mycah, Level 2 Thief:
    HP: 3/3 AC: 6 Thac0: 19 (18 Missile)

    ATTACK:(1d20+1)[18] DAMAGE:(1d6)[2]
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2012-05-24 at 10:46 AM.

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  22. - Top - End - #1762
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah fires an arrow into the giant bat struggling to retreat and Ash manages to swing her sword into the one nearest her. Both drop to the floor emitting high-pitched, keening screeches, but quickly fall silent and immobile.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  23. - Top - End - #1763
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon pants as he wipes his bloody sword against his pants leg.

    "Anyone wounded? No one? Our luck improves."

  24. - Top - End - #1764
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah looks around at the others and lets out a breath as he sees no one was injured. He moves across to the bat that his arrows brought down and nudges it with a toe to be sure it's dead, then plucks free his two shafts. He then goes looking for the arrow that missed, but doesn't have much hope for it's being in one piece.
    "Yeah, we got lucky. If those things had gone after one of us less well-armored than Ash there might have been trouble."

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  25. - Top - End - #1765
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Yeugh! Nasty things." Talsarios puts down the lanterns while he carefully sheaths the sword at his side. "I've never seen the likes of those before. Are they natural?"

  26. - Top - End - #1766
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MeanMrsMustard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Alanna puts her sling back in her belt and stoops down to pick up her mace. "I dunno," she says in response to Talsarios' question. "I was thinking maybe they were the king and queen of the bats?"
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

    Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show





  27. - Top - End - #1767
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah tracks down his lost arrow, the head blunted and snapped off, at the far end of the cavern. There, cut into the stone is another tunnel, similar to the one through which he entered, but perhaps even narrower and lower.

    The bats' flesh, blood, apparent death, and physical anatomy seem sufficiently natural, save for their enormous size. Their large fangs were sufficient to put clear dents in Ash's shoulder plate.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  28. - Top - End - #1768
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "The beasts of the underworld are malformed and evil, no doubt the result of evil sorcery."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  29. - Top - End - #1769
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah merely shakes his head in amazement as the group examines their fallen foes.
    "If this is any indication of what we'll be facing down here, then we need to be especially careful. It looks like this tunnel continues on, but it's getting tighter. Do we keep going, or try a different direction?"

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  30. - Top - End - #1770
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    First, Ash will fetch her bow and sling it over her shoulder as she responds, "I agree. Compared to its kind, I've never seen an animal so large before."
    Ash checks her helmet for any damage or bat saliva to wipe off, then places back on her head. The dents in her armor look like they bother her a little and yet she still seems reassured by it in a way. She looks just a little rattled by the experience, but has quickly composed herself to continue.
    If her and her group can fit down the next little tunnel, Ash will ready at the front once more to take the lead.
    "Everyone ready to continue?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •