New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 84 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

"Well, let us hope that was the last of them," Nathros says, wiping the ichor from his blade. On climbing out of the pit and hearing of Sid's discovery he remarks, "A trapdoor? Well, that sounds like it might be worth at least opening."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon laboriously climbed out of the pit and tried to clean himself off. Then he picked up his discarded equipment (sword and bow).

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Stefan Reinhardt

Checking out that trapdoor seems like the right thing to do if we want to make sure we've cleared out all of this place. But we'd better be prepared

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

"Our job was to slay whatever scared away the workers and the beetles are undoubtly the source. We should settle this business first before exploring the trap door. Either way, it would be prudent to roll something heavy onto the trapdoor to ensure we aren't flanked."

Jeanne searches the cabinet underneath the desk. Once cleared, she motions for someone to help her slide the cabinet over the trap door (assuming everyone agrees to take the tunnel).

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Stefan Reinhardt

Ah yes, Stefan concurs. That sounds like a pretty good idea. He then tries to help with the cabinet as best as he can.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid watched despondently, as the two moved the cabinet. "But...shouldn't we at least check it? Or what if it connects to that tunnel? I don't know. It might be a safer way through?" Disappointed that he didn't get to at least check it out but in agreement that they should make sure that they can't get flanked, he shuffles his way out of the room with an, "Awww..."
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Stefan Reinhardt

Hey Sid, don't worry, man!, Stefan reassures him. We'll check it out in due time. Remember, that sometimes the best strategy to get the best things, is to ignore them for a bit before you go for the kill, he says and winks.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The cabinet is empty and slides easily over the trap door.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros shrugs and waits to see what might be proposed next.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

10. - Top - End - #160

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid "Huh!"ed in surprise, thinking about the many things Stefan's bit of wisdom could be applied to. He grinned, then, and spouted, "Makes sense! Okay, let's get Brandon back in that tunnel!" Taking a look at the bit of glowing beetle that Brandon is carrying, he hit on an idea. Reaching out for the light, Sid said, "Let me check that thing out. You think if I held this, I could sneak ahead of you guys, to scout ahead, and they'd think I was just another bug?"

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looked uneasy at Sid's proposal.

"I dunno, Sid. I was carrying one of the light organs and it attacked me anyway. I would have been bitten if I wasn't wearing all this heavy armor. You could try, but I would prefer that I take the risk."

If no one else volunteers to go first, Brandon will crawl back into the tunnel, again holding a beetle light organ in one hand and his dagger in the other.

12. - Top - End - #162

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid snapped his fingers in disappointment. "Dang. Well, I didn't know that. Maybe you'd better go first, then."
    He winced, then, partly because he didn't really like the idea of his friend getting hurt, and partly because he was so quick to let him go first. As (presumably) the entire group started heading into the tunnel, Sid secured the secret door they had found, stowed his unneeded torch, and headed in. He'd try for heading in somewhere in between the ones with darkvision.

- Myself

13. - Top - End - #163

Brandon emerges first and the others shortly behind him in a space very similar to the pit. Roughly ten feet wide and eight to ten feet deep. The ceiling over head is timbered joists and crossbeams and wide wood planks. The beetle's light organ illuminates the area immediately around the tunnel entrance, but the room extends north and south beyond where the light reaches.
    Forum Rules

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon checked carefully, then got on his hands and knees and bellowed into the mouth of the tunnel at his companions.

"No bugs! All clear! Crawl on over, and bring my gear with you!"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

"What is this? A secret tunnel? The beams suggest it's man made, that's for sure. Mr. Bor. Mr. Aimes. Does Threshold have a history of crime? Smuggling? Slavery? Anything that would call for a hidden tunnel built underground like this?"

16. - Top - End - #166

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid grabbed Brandon's gear, crawled through the tunnel, and handed it to him, when he emerged. "Can't you just carry this stuff on your back or something? Anyway," He turned to Jeanne and indicated Brandon, once she popped out. "I was gonna ask if I was allowed to yell at whatever might be in here, but I think this guy has been loud enough, already." He swung his head around, looking for evidence of giant beetle or ghost activity, then tapped Brandon on the shoulder and pointed to the north. "Okay. You first, then."

At Jeanne's question, he balked, then shrugged. "Hey, what place doesn't have that stuff? I just know that I've never been here, and Bost always seemed like he was on the up and up. What does it matter? We were going to have to keep quiet about any business stuff we found out, anyway."
    Last edited by TruorTupnm; 2010-10-21 at 12:26 AM.

- Myself

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

The young man grinned with relief and satisfaction when his companions popped out of the tunnel with his gear.

"Thanks. I didn't want to carry all that in case I met more bugs. Crawling backwards to y'all is difficult enough when you're not dragging something that might catch on an exposed root or something."

He shrugged into his backpack and tied his sack to his back again. He buckled on his swordbelt and hung his shield on his back. He wiped his dagger clean of bug fluids on his clothes and drew his sword, then continued examining the space they had found.

"I don't know if Bost knew of this tunnel. The bugs dug their little tunnel from here to the lumber mill. Wonder what this tunnel was originally used for."

"Nathros, your folk know tunnels. What do you think?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

"Looks to be the cellar we might have accessed from the trapdoor in the hidden room. Of course, we neatly closed off our avenue of escape in that direction when we closed off the trapdoor. Let us hope we have no need of egress in that direction! These bugs seem a little large for woodworm, but they must have gotten here somehow."
    Last edited by Matthew; 2010-10-21 at 09:31 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Crowded around the tunnel exit, the soft glow of the beetle's strange light organ lights up only a small section of the room. Above and off to the left, the outline of the trap door can barely be seen in the ceiling. Clearly, the room extends both left and right.
    Forum Rules

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon frowned in frustration at the lack of illumination, then did the expedient thing.

"Excuse me, friend dwarf." He leaned forward and impaled the light organ in his hand on a spike sticking out of Nathros' helmet.

Then he got out and lit a torch from his own supplies.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros gives Brandon the benefit of the doubt as to his lighting plan and begins to explore the extent of the room to the left (unless we are going right).

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looked down to see Sid poking him in his armored flank to get a move on.

Feeling both strange and proud to be in front, Brandon leads the party to the left, extending his torch before him, his sword in his other hand.

23. - Top - End - #173

The northern end of the basement chamber is uninhabited. It continues what Nathros judges to be the full length of the building above, but no further. Within a few steps from the tunnel entrance, the outline of the trapdoor above becomes more than a mere suggestion. A set of grooves are cut into the adjacent wall, presumably as hand or footholds.

A bit beyond that another interesting feature appears in the basement wall. A tunnel, similar to the one from the mill pit to this room, seems to connect this room to somewhere else. Torchlight penetrates only a few feet into the tunnel.
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, this looks like where they entered. Best to be sure, though. Anything to be seen on the other side of this room?" Nathros gestures towards the south.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne readies her bow and takes aim down the tunnel. "Someone is here. Or was. How long does a torch last? Hour? Two hours?"

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon stared at the trapdoor and the odd tunnel, so similar to that which he had crawled through to get here. He nodded to what Nathros said.

"Let's try searching the other end of the room first. I'm not too eager to go crawling on my hands and knees again."

Unless someone objects, he will start to walk toward the other end of the room or underground corridor.

27. - Top - End - #177

The other end of the room is completely unremarkable. Of similar dimension to the rest and with no means of entrance or exit apparent, it's just a basement dug into rather firm ground.
    Forum Rules

28. - Top - End - #178

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

A little disappointed that they didn't find anything interesting, Sid, "Aw!"ed, shrugged, then pointed towards the new tunnel. Said with a not-so-reassuring grin ---> "It looks like that's our only choice, now. Probably going to be a whole nest of 'em. Good luck, pal. I'll be right behind you."

- Myself

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon gritted his teeth at the prospect of yet another stint of tunnel-crawling.

"Great."

Then he sighed and handed his torch to Nathros. He plucked the beetle organ from Nathros' helmet and again discarded most of his gear, piling them up neatly, his precious bow on top. Dagger in hand and glowing organ in the other, he began to crawl as Sid directed.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne blows away a tuft of her hair. "How disappointing. I was hoping for secret tunnels, captured slaves, and lost treasure. This is just a cellar."