New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 60 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1035505152535455565758596061626364656667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1771
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Brandon Bor

Brandon joins Mycah in checking the giant bat corpses. He frequently winces and cringes away from the bodies, seemingly disgusted by them.

"No signs of collars or anything like that. They may just be wild animals and not some kind of creepy guard animal for whoever turned the miners into walking dead."

"I'm ready to go."

2. - Top - End - #1772
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros keeps watch for more enemies.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #1773
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna nods. "Ready," she says. She seems quite a bit quieter than she was at the start of the mission.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1774
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The tunnel is straighter than the last and slopes down noticeably. The earth under foot becomes softer as well with rivulets of water running along the floor in places.

The tunnel opens into a wider, taller cavern, the floor almost entirely covered in dark, dank water. Wide enough to walk three abreast and longer than the torchlight can reach, the several masses of rats can be seen scurrying away from the torch light toward the room's edges.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-05-26 at 10:13 AM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

5. - Top - End - #1775
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmmn, bats and rats, perhaps we ought to try the other passage."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

6. - Top - End - #1776
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, but I think we should find the end of this route first, Master Dwarf," Talsarios says with an air of assumed authority. "We should not leave an unknown passage at our backs."

Once again, the young scholar seems unaware of the irony of giving a dwarf advice on underground exploration.

7. - Top - End - #1777

Alanna giggles at Nathros' comment.
    "I agree, this place seems to be bad luck. It's almost as if this was planned... or is it always like this?"
    Even though she's joking, the thought strikes her that maybe this was planned. What if this entire place is just a big trap?
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1778
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran grimaces. "I hate rats. They eat the grain back home. That's why we keep cats and dogs."

He hefts a flask of oil. "But I can deal with the rats..."

He glances at the other party members to discern if any agree with his unstated plan of action.

9. - Top - End - #1779
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps there's an exit somewhere we cannot yet see... we must further investigate. Oil and fire would be a terrific way to deal with the masses of rats, were they to become a problem, though I doubt it'd do much in this room covered in water."
    Ash sheathes her sword and shield, the removes her bow and prepares an arrow in case something comes from above in this vast room. Then she starts to wade forward, leading the group as best she can to the other end to look for more passage ways.

10. - Top - End - #1780

Ash finds the water to be only a few inches to as much as a foot deep, with a muddy bottom and overall dark disposition. The rats scurry away from any movement near them, preferring even to climb on top of each other in piles long the walls than be near the invading humans. The room ends roughly forty feet ahead in a bare wall.
    Forum Rules

11. - Top - End - #1781
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, there we have it. Let's head back and try the other way - see if we can't find our hidden riser-of-the-dead."

With that, Ash will take a final look around in case there are any hidden passages she may have missed noticing earlier before heading back to the tunnel they came from.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness DC13: (1d20)[13]

12. - Top - End - #1782
    Ogre in the Playground

"Excellent, yes." Talsarios turns to go back and almost sets off before he realises - from his position at the back of the group, he'll now be leading from the front.
    "Ah - after you, of course, chaps, ladies." He holds up the lantern to helpfully light the way.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-05-27 at 04:48 PM. Reason: formatting again! Sorry.

13. - Top - End - #1783

Alanna waits for the others to pass her. The excitement to explore is back again, and she can't wait to find something new at the other end of the tunnel.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1784
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros checks for secret doors before accompanying the party back the way they came.

15. - Top - End - #1785

They're subtle, but definitely there. In the left-hand corner of the wall, notches cut into the stone. Nathros recognizes them as hand and foot holds for climbing.
    Forum Rules

16. - Top - End - #1786
    Titan in the Playground

"Looks like there is more to this place than it would first appear. There are hand and foot holds in the wall here, leading up," Nathros gestures to the notches. "Definitely not the work of bats or rats, or zombies for that matter. Could be a dangerous climb, and a difficult fight at the top if there are enemies lurking above."
    Last edited by Matthew; 2012-05-29 at 03:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1787
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah had stood quietly to the side as Ash explored the watery end of the room, alert for danger as she did so. Once Nathros points out the notches carved into the stone, he moves over to the spot, torch in hand.

He holds the torch up over head, trying to see what the "ladder" could lead up to.
    "I expect I'm best suited for clambering up there to see what's what." He removes his pack, bow and quiver, setting it carefully aside in a dry spot next to his staff. He hands off the torch and gets ready to climb up and see where it leads. "Wish me luck."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climb Walls (88% chance): (1d100)[30]
    Given there are handholds, I don't know I need a roll, but there it is just in case.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

18. - Top - End - #1788
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

"What I remember of last time, it may be best one of us comes with. If there's a fight to come, I'll gladly go in the stead of others. We may need a rope to secure upon reaching the top. I'm not sure falling hurts much different when you're in armor. Just have to watch out for deep pools of water beneath."

19. - Top - End - #1789

Alanna stands near the back of the group, tapping her foot.
    Whoever goes next, I hope they get on with it -- and I hope they're safe!
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1790
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

If there are no ropes left and no one objects, Ash will not hesitate to make the effort of scaling the wall, though she'd go somewhat slower than Mycah and she'd make the effort to be extra careful.

21. - Top - End - #1791
    Ogre in the Playground

"I say, Ashala, are you quite mad?" Talsarios objects when he sees the armoured fighter preparing to climb. "You can hardly see the damned scratches there, let alone climb them, surely. I think we should get more ropes from the miners, eh?"

22. - Top - End - #1792
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

She shrugs, "Last time I let Mycah go first, he nearly lost his head. I don't intend to let the risk he takes come without immediate reinforcements this time.
    "Please feel free to retrieve my rope from the miners. I still think we could use it for the rest of you..."

She trails off and whispers to herself, "... and maybe yet for me."

To begin the effort to climb, she would likely have had to remove her helmet and gauntlets. Ash would also quickly discover that removing her pack, bow, quiver, and spear would wise as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    AC likely changes to 2 even with her shield and 3 without it. Of course, Roland may have better insight than I.

23. - Top - End - #1793

RangerGuy

Mycah pauses before his climb and takes in the exchange between Ash and Talsarios.
    "Lady Ashala, I... appreciate your concern, but it seems unnecessary for you to climb up there with me. Even if there is some danger, in your armor and all, you just won't be suited for any fighting hanging on the wall. My contribution to this group is to be the one who takes these risks - I can do it..."
    He trails off, realizing it may sound like he's whining a bit...

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

24. - Top - End - #1794
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash tilts her head down a bit to ponder for a couple seconds, then she replies, "Very well. Perhaps I've over estimated my usefulness. I'll fetch the rope, if you'll wait a moment... ' save you the trouble to climb twice."
    She does not seem cross with anyone or anything. She goes on as a soldier would, resolving to continue the next course of action. She does not wait around, however.

25. - Top - End - #1795

Mycah scrambles quickly to the top where he finds a small ledge and a passageway beyond. Probably big enough to crawl through, though the torchlight below is scant at this height.

Below Ash begins her preparations and ascent.
    Forum Rules

26. - Top - End - #1796

RangerGuy

Mycah takes a quick survey of the area, and looks down the passage to see how far it seems to go, without venturing inside just yet. He looks for any signs of occupation - webs, bones or other debris, then climbs back down to the cavern floor to report his findings to the group.
    "So, there is a small ledge up above, and another passage going on from there. We can certainly explore further, but we might be better off checking the other tunnels on this level before making the effort to get everyone up this wall and beyond. What do you think?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, how high did Mycah need to climb to the ledge?

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

27. - Top - End - #1797
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash makes sure to have handed the rope off to Mycah before his climb so that he can secure it at the top with a pike which she borrowed from the miners when she fetched the rope.

28. - Top - End - #1798

The ledge is a few feet wide, and the light from below only carries a few feet deep. Mycah spies small bones littered across the dry dirt.
    Forum Rules

29. - Top - End - #1799
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Koren n'Rhys View Post
    Mycah takes a quick survey of the area, and looks down the passage to see how far it seems to go, without venturing inside just yet. He looks for any signs of occupation - webs, bones or other debris, then climbs back down to the cavern floor to report his findings to the group.
    "So, there is a small ledge up above, and another passage going on from there. We can certainly explore further, but we might be better off checking the other tunnels on this level before making the effort to get everyone up this wall and beyond. What do you think?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, how high did Mycah need to climb to the ledge?
    Brandon Bor

Bran nods. "That sounds wise. I'm not keen to go climbing in armour. I'd make a very big hole if I fell."

30. - Top - End - #1800
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros remains vigilant below.