New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 66 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1641565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1951
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Artanis heard the exchange between Brandon and Ash and decided that it was best to make sure he wouldn't be dealing with friendly fire if what he said about 'practice' was true. He sighed, pinched the bridge of his nose, and closed his eyes as he did something he was sure might be a bad idea if it went the way he was thinking it would.

"Here then, Brandon. If we get the time to I'll attempt to give you a few pointers before we go down into the cave. Maybe also a bit of practice before we have another incident where every one of us misses something at point-blank range."

He remembered his own miserable shots and then remembered something that made him groan and he hung his head in annoyance.

"I left my bow where that bat was didn't I? Alright then, I'm going to get my bow while you guys get this figured out. Moss fluff, I'm going to have to get a new one if I don't unstring it soon."

He kept muttering under his breath about the proper care for a bow as he went off in search of his bow.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

2. - Top - End - #1952
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

To Alanna, "Thank you. Though, even with a plan, an oversight is easily possible and the danger only a little less threatening."
    "I'll be thankful for any edge to have over those undead as well. And I'll not be caught slaying the same beings twice again while on this mission."

After Artanis' outburst, Ash waits a moment to reply, "It's good to see you direct your fervor toward vanquishing this evil my comrades and I face. You are a welcome edge against our foe."

She'll hear what he has to say about the other entrance via crawling through and respond, "A good idea in theory, though I would think we'd be somewhat more vulnerable should be not be able to swing a blade or shoot a bow. Besides, things do move about when we're not there. The worm may just as well have taken up residence in your tunnel in the night. That would be a dirty surprise." She smiles a little.

To Brandon, "Love the optimism. Perhaps you'll have a competition with Mycah after this, hm?" She grins a little bigger, but turns away to listen to whomever spoke next. That was Artanis once more, but she has no reply as the words were not for her.

Then she'll be readying to head out after she's spoken with the workmen.

3. - Top - End - #1953
    Barbarian in the Playground

While she waits, Alanna makes sure she's prepared. She goes through the motions of magical and mundane healing, attacking with both her weapons, and turning undead. She also makes sure she has oil.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isn't there some sort of holy substance clerics prepare? Is it consecrated oil or holy water or something? Does it require anything special to make? If Alanna can prepare it, she will. In the meantime, I'm gonna be reading the rulebooks.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1954
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I can see that my magic is not going to be of any use against the undead, or dumb beasts - but I can deal with 'The Fangs' rather efficiently." Talsarios shrugs. "Aside from that, perhaps I could manage the preparation of oil bombs?"
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-07-02 at 04:42 AM. Reason: colour mark-up correction

5. - Top - End - #1955
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah snorts as Ash proposes the contest. "If it's all the same to you, I say we just save our arrows for our enemies. As long as we're both good enough to hit them when we need to, it's a good thing right?"
    After the meal and planning, Mycah gathers his things, checks his bowstring and other gear and indicates he's ready to go.
    "I'm fine with being in the middle, just be careful and let me check anything that looks suspicious so that you don't fall into a pit somewhere."

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

6. - Top - End - #1956
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The workers, in general, lack the discipline and initiative Mycah was used to seeing from Bost's lumberman (a term that was applied to pretty much all Bost's workers regardless of duties), but the four at least seemed brave enough to join. They were armed with tools, torches, and rope and shuffled to the back of any group that formed.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

7. - Top - End - #1957
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash smirks when she hears Mycah respond so seriously to what she said, but she'll smile to herself anyways.

When everyone's ready, she'll head out and lead them back to the cave entrance as before.

8. - Top - End - #1958
    Ogre in the Playground

After Artanis had found his bow, he headed back grumbling about how he should have remembered to grab it instead of leaving it on the ground like a fallen leaf.

When he saw that they were about to head out, he muttered to himself:

"Can't even be bothered to wait for me hmmmm?"

He found it a little annoying that all that the workers had come up with was common tools. He did however keep his thoughts to himself.

Not even so much as a dagger or a hatchet. I'd better keep a good lookout for that worm as it sounded nasty to confront and these folks won't help much.

When they had come to the cave entrance, Artanis thought about using his spikes to give him a better hand-hold but decided against that.

I may need them for a later time and we currently have the man-power to lower all of us by rope.

If they needed to decide who went down first, when they reached it, he would volunteer for the job and explain his reasoning.

I can leave my hands free and still see any enemies even if they are cold-blooded or dead without giving them any forewarning that I'm coming down. Plus, I do have a penchant for sneaking around areas such as this if they are trying to hide. If I do see anyone, I'll try to hammer in some spikes as footholds in the tunnel so that we can pick them off with our arrows while staying out of reach.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

9. - Top - End - #1959
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash: When everyone's ready, she'll head out ...
    Artanis: When he saw that they were about to head out, he muttered to himself:

"Can't even be bothered to wait for me hmmmm?"
    Ash will wait at the entrance as everyone assembles and she'll explain how she wants the workmen set up before everyone decends. She wants to go first in case there are more undead or gang members down below waiting.

10. - Top - End - #1960

Alanna shuffles around anxiously, unable to wait much longer. She yearns to be done with this, to punish the wicked one who's committing these crimes against nature. The sooner they can get in there and fix everything, the better.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1961
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros readies his gear, and prepares to follow after his companions.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

12. - Top - End - #1962
    Ogre in the Playground

If Artanis had offered to go down first instead of Ash, she'll reply, "I appreciate your enthusiasm and your thoughts to stay safe may be sound, but in most cases so far, it's seems best to just be hard to hurt." She'll tink her gauntlet over her chest armor twice very lightly to affirm her point.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness for bad guys while they're approaching and decending.
    DC13: (1d20)[2]

13. - Top - End - #1963
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looks much better after a full night's sleep. Before he descends into the pit, he tells the workmen who will be staying on the surface, "If you hear us hollering, please come at a run. We might need help getting out of that hole."

When the time comes, he makes his descent very carefully.

14. - Top - End - #1964
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, though slightly frustrated at his inability to excel in any of the areas, accepted her judgement and prepped himself to go down in his marching order.
    As Ash descends, he spoke quietly, so as to keep people below from hearing.
    May luck be with you Ash.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

15. - Top - End - #1965

There is no sign of trouble as the party reenters the first cavern. Nothing seems different in the cave from when the party left it. The workmen prepare to man the ropes for the party's descent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, so give me your final "marching order" and where you're headed.

Nevaera, you've done such a great job as the party's unofficial "Caller," I'm officially giving you the position. Go ahead and declare the general actions for the group as a whole, and anyone who wants to do different needs to speak up before my next DM post.

Altair is still on Mapper duty, by the way.

Also, I've been pretty cooperative about light sources so far, but as a group, make sure you're providing your own light.
    Forum Rules

16. - Top - End - #1966
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash gives Artanis a nod of respect from behind her plated helm while replying, "And with us all."

She descends.

Spoiler
    Show
    ~Thank you for the honor. *bows* I shall do my best. ~

Marching order for most scenarios including this one ('til Brandon gets better, at least):

Ash - Melee/Ranged, Well Armored.
    Nathros - Melee, Well Armored.
    Artanis - Ranged, Spell Support, Some Armor, Flask Thrower?
    Mycah - Ranged, Forest Scout, Support, Flask Thrower.
    Talsarios - Torch, Oil Flasks, Spell Support.
    Alanna - Torch, Healing Spell, Oil Flasks, Mace/Sling, Armored.
    Brandon - Weapons, Armored, Injured.

17. - Top - End - #1967

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Go ahead and declare the general actions for the group as a whole, and anyone who wants to do different needs to speak up before my next DM post.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We still post daily, right? So we'd just RP stuff like chatting, lighting torches, etc.?
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1968

RangerGuy

Mycah descends to the cavern with the others and takes his place in the middle of the group. He'll have his bow out and an arrow nocked, alert for danger. If the need arises, he can take the oil flasks from Talsarios and use them as needed.
    "Alright, let's get this over with and find that things that got me, and this necromancer too."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

19. - Top - End - #1969
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash waits for her whole group to be at the bottom with her. She'll have her sword and shield out and proceed cautiously through the tunnels that lead her to the worm-thing room where they climbed up the other day and met Artanis. If they get to that room with out incident, she'll probably flesh out a quick plan of attack just before they start to explore it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness DC13: (1d20)[18]

20. - Top - End - #1970
    Ogre in the Playground

At the bottom of the hole, Talsarios asks his fellow explorers to pass over their oil: "I've prepared some fuses to make better bombs - in case that worm thing is looking out for our woodsman!" He winks at Mycah, and nods with a grin.

21. - Top - End - #1971
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash smiles to herself as she hears Talsarios getting prepared before they head down the tunnel. She'll wait, of course, until he's got things set the way he wants them. He'll have several of her oil flasks to carry from when she shared hers up in camp after the meeting. (As many as he wanted to carry. She has seven. They've been double wrapped thus far.)

As she watches him, she ponders about letting the oil bearers carry torches at the same time.

"Perhaps we should consider having different torch bearers from those who carry the oil. Perhaps ... Mycah, would you want to carry a torch? Then maybe Brandon could carry some oil also?"
    "I'm fine with whatever you would like to decide. If there's anyone on watch for us, however, we've surely announced ourselves if they're close enough to this part of the tunnel."
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-07-04 at 04:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1972
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros keeps a stoic pace with the party.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

23. - Top - End - #1973

RangerGuy

"Of course, Ash. Whatever you think best."
    With only one hand free, Mycah will put the arrow back in his quiver but continue to carry the bow in his left hand and torch in his right. He can drop the torch to grab an arrow if need be.
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2012-07-05 at 11:28 AM.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

24. - Top - End - #1974

The main room below is still empty, save for the bats resting on the ceiling above. At the far end of the room, tunnels lead off the the left, toward the carrion crawler's last known location, and the right, which ended in a shallow pool and ledge of bones.
    Forum Rules

25. - Top - End - #1975
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon has hung his shield at his back and sheathed his sword. Instead of wielding either, he has his shortbow and an arrow in his hands.

He takes aim carefully all around as he tries to look for the carrion crawler and shoot it dead.

Then he thinks of something.

"Hey, let's go to the right so we can go through that pile of bones. Maybe there is treasure there."
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2012-07-05 at 11:46 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1976
    Ogre in the Playground

"Blimey, fellows! That's a lot of oil!" Talsarios struggles to juggle all the oil flasks into his pack, keeping one to hand - with a wick in place.
    Holding his lantern aloft - carefully, given the amount of flammable material he's toting - the Thyatian follows the group.

"Why do you think there'd be treasure in a pile of bones, Brandon?" he asks after a short while. He sounds genuinely interested.

27. - Top - End - #1977

Alanna chimes in to answer Talsarios' question. "Uhh… maybe they were rich people? But then, why would they be down here? Unless some of them had one valuable thing, like a wedding ring… or maybe there was already a little bit of treasure here, and they died fighting over it… I know! Maybe they worked for the neck-ro… uh, death magic man! And he was paying them with treasure!"
    Alanna seems proud about her theories, no matter how improbable they sound.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1978
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

"Maybe the worm-thing devoured all but the bones and the treasure of any poor blokes unfortunate enough to have met their demise here."

She still goes left. "We'll have to find out after we've delt with all the threats of this cave."
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-07-05 at 07:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1979
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    "Why do you think there'd be treasure in a pile of bones, Brandon?" he asks after a short while. He sounds genuinely interested.
    Brandon Bor

Bran nods to what Ashala said.

"Monsters don't always pick through their victims for gold and other treasure after they kill them. Like those giant bats we killed, or that carrion crawler. No hands. No real understanding of the value of gold, either."

30. - Top - End - #1980
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, who had decided to carry only 1 oil flask since he had no way to light it easily by himself, gripped the hilt of Solahel but reluctantly decided to arm himself with his bow as Ash had designated him for ranged support.

Upon hearing the idea of looting the dead, he grimaced:
    I do not approve of depriving the dead of their last vestages of pride but it does them little good now and we need as much help as we can possibly recieve. However,
    He drew an arrow out and fitted it onto the bowstring.
    We cannot let our gaurd down. Remember, this is a necromancer corpses and bones are his craft. Who's to say that this isn't a trap?

While he would search the corpses he was not willing to go first as he preferred to be the first to strike.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander