New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 67 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1742575859606162636465666768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1981
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Ash cautiously leads her comrades through the left tunnel until they reach the room where the carrion crawler fought them and where Talsarios used his spell to put the archers into a slumber.

Once Nathros and her have secured the room - Artanis and Mycah can help, so long as nothing jumps out at them right away - Ash will ask Mycah to climb first this time, since they know a little about what to expect. She'll also give him her rope and then explain.

"If the ...carrion crawler?... returns while we're climbing, it'd be safer to have a rope to haul the remaining people up as quickly as possible, rather than have them risk rushing their climb. Plus, you and Artanis can use your bows to distract it or shoot any foe that may approach down that tunnel before we all arrive at the top. The others can try the oil and fire down here - less chance of the oil splashing onto each other with a toss from a lower height. "

"Before we all go through to the other end, however, I expect the gang or cult to have a different arrangement as they guard the area. Perhaps some of them will hide in the tunnels or have an alarm set to go off as we enter. Let's all try to be quiet once we get to the top. Perhaps we'll hear them before they hear us."

Were I in their shoes, I'd have scouts waiting in the tunnels quietly. I'd have them report back immediately upon sensing the enemy - in this case, us - and avoid engaging in battle. Then, my group would rally by the time the enemy closed in and we'd be on guard, have cover, and have traps and the like. If they're smart, they'll have done even more than that. I don't expect this will be easy.

I suppose some of them may perhaps think strangely enough and be glad to die for their immortal or necromancer so they may be raised to serve even in death... I hope they're not that far gone. A foe without fear of death...
    Ash will randomly shudder a little to herself while the elf and the scout climb up, so long as they agreed with her suggestion, that is.

2. - Top - End - #1982
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The side tunnel the carrion crawler emerged from seems dark and still, at least as far as the torchlight carries. But as the group prepares to ascend the wall, the creature can be heard stirring out of the tunnel. The party's rearguard has become the front line, though there is room enough in this tunnel and the small room at the wall's foot to maneuver.

Tentacles can be seen emerging from the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show
    PCs win initiative. Characters with Alertness or Danger Sense make make a roll to gain an extra move or other action in addition to their round one actions.

Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #1983
    Ogre in the Playground

Caught at the back of the group as the tentacled abomination emerges, Talsarios gives a short high-pitched yelp of alarm - "Eek!" - before he masters his fear, quickly.
    He sets down his lantern, opens the hood, and lights the oiled rope wick of the oil-bomb he carries. "Fire bomb!" he calls out to his fellows, as he heft the flask at the crawling worm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alastor Talsarios, MU2, THAC0 19, HP 2/2
    Tossed object: Oil flask (1d20)[9]
    Damage (1d8)[3]

4. - Top - End - #1984
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran looses an arrow at the creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Level 2 Fighter
    Hit Points: 5/10.

Attack: (1d20)[17]
    Thac0: 18
    Damage: (1d6)[6]

5. - Top - End - #1985
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

As the alarm is raised by the rear guard, Mycah feels a moment of panic, then rallies his courage. He drops the torch and looks to the ledge, then stows his bow so he can climb and clambers up, less fearful of bandits than of the carrion crawler. From above, he reasons, he can shoot down at the things with less risk than from the back of the group.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

6. - Top - End - #1986
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash will quickly maneuver past her comrades to face the carrion crawler. She'll challenge it's attacks at her instead of her group by positioning herself between them.

"If anyone goes down, drag them to safety at the earliest safe opportunity!"

She takes a swing at the monster. "Rah!"

"We know two ways out. Use whichever is closest, if it comes to it!"

To the carrion crawler, "Eat flame and steel, you gluttonous beast!"

Spoiler
    Show
    In an attempt to gain an extra action -
    Alertness DC13: (1d20)[4]

AC: 1
    HP: 11/11

Attack (Sword Thac0 18): (1d20)[12]
    Damage: (1d8)[7]

7. - Top - End - #1987
    Ogre in the Playground

If Ash was granted an extra attack due to her keen senses, she'll slice at it's main body and maybe dice it's tentacles in the process.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (thac0 18): (1d20)[8]
    Damage: (1d8)[3]

Spoiler
    Show
    Rats... No wait, they carry diseases! >.<
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-07-06 at 04:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1988
    Barbarian in the Playground

Upon noticing the tentacled beast, Alanna lets out a small "Eep!" before regaining her composure. She pauses a moment to decide what projectile to use. After a second or two, she settles on the flaming kind. "Oil flask!" she calls as she lets one loose.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20)[12]
    Damage: (1d8)[3]
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1989
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros casts his spear at the beast, and draws his hand axe to follow up.

Spoiler
    Show

Nathros, Level Two Dwarf: AC 9(1); HP 9(9); THAC0 19.

Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[6]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[2]

It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

10. - Top - End - #1990
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness DC14: (1d20)[20]
    If this is successful, then Artanis will loose an arrow at the carrion crawler while being careful not to hit his companions.
    Thac0 longbow 17: (1d20+1)[16]
    Damage: (1d6)[5]

Artanis took a quick look at the creature to discern if it had recovered from its previous wounds that the party had supposedly caused earlier to see if he could exploit it further.

Upon finishing his quick examination he spoke only one word:
    Interesting...

Should I use a spell on this creature? No, it has no formal allegiance to necromancy. And besides,
    He nocked an arrow at this thought.
    Arrows look so much better in a creature's teeth than a spell that disappears after a short time.
    He then loosed an arrow that was aimed for its gaping maw.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thac0 longbow 17: (1d20+1)[6]
    Damage: (1d6)[1]
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

11. - Top - End - #1991

A slingstone and a couple sword blows later, the thing, still oozing blood and ichor from its day-old wounds, shudders and lashes out with its tentacles one more time. They flail around Ash, but fail to catch her.

The giant insect-like creature begins to retreat again down its side hallway.

Spoiler
    Show

Extremely wounded carrion crawler

For won Initiative for Round 2. Both its Round 1 and Round 2 actions are above. It is now barely visible in the darkness down the hallway.
    Forum Rules

12. - Top - End - #1992
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros casts his hand axe after the retreating beast, and attempts to retrieve his spear.

Spoiler
    Show

Nathros, Level Two Dwarf: AC 9(1); HP 9(9); THAC0 19.

Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[19]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[2]

Last edited by Matthew; 2012-07-07 at 08:50 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

13. - Top - End - #1993

For a moment, Alanna gets a good look at the carrion crawler. It's not pretty, so luckily it's just a brief glance. It's still enough to turn her stomach, though. "Ew…"
    Normally, Alanna wouldn't be comfortable chasing a fleeing enemy, but she doesn't have any sympathy for something that attacked her party. She decides to have another go at it, this time with her slingshot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20)[17]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1994
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran steps forward a few more paces and grimly looses another arrow at the retreating carrion crawler.

Spoiler
    Show

Level 2 Fighter
    Hit Points: 5/10.

Attack: (1d20)[10]
    Thac0: 18
    Damage: (1d6)[5]

15. - Top - End - #1995
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis decided that as soon as it retreated that he should leave it to the others in case Mycah would shortly need help as he was the only one up top at the moment. Besides, he reasoned, it's out of the way now. No need to chase after it anymore and waste valuable time that could betray our position to those brigands.

He slung his bow onto his back and climbed up to Mycah's position in case he needed help. However, if the creature was killed and there was no one to menace Mycah he would go down to inspect the creature's corpse and maybe explore the tunnel further.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

16. - Top - End - #1996
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

If the beast has not yet fallen, Ash will drop her sword and shield to draw her bow and an arrow and she'll fire one more shot at it as it retreats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (Bow Thac0 17): (1d20)[17]
    Damage: (1d6)[3]

17. - Top - End - #1997
    Ogre in the Playground

Alastor closes his lantern before he retrieves another oil flask, and sets a fuse in the neck. Then he gets to his feet and following the fighters, holds the light high to illuminate the tunnel.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-07-07 at 02:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1998

Nathros' axe is sufficient to end the crawler, thought that's not immediately clear given its thrashing and tentacle-spasms. It's clear in moments though, as the additional blows rain down on the beast. By the time Alastor raises his lamp, the thing is a lifeless worm. It only mostly blocks the tunnel, and one could squeeze by along the right-hand wall.

Mycah and Artanis perch on the edge of the ledge, the party below them and the tunnel ahead.
    Forum Rules

19. - Top - End - #1999
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis quickly took stock of his surroundings and tried to stealthily checked the tunnels that were nearby with his infravision as the torch was down below and shouldn't bother his sight. He made a mental note to try to ignore the heat Mycah was giving off if his infravision worked and decided to quickly search for any hidden doors nearby while he was at it.
    I don't know where they could be hiding, they could be in the very walls. I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to do that while they're still dealing with the beast down there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness DC 14: (1d20)[19]
    Stealth indoors/caves DC 14: next post since I forgot to roll it the first time but I meant to do it as the post says.
    Searching for any hidden doors or such with my special ability. 1 or 2 equals successful evaluation out of a 1d6 roll.
    Sorry Roland, but the rules specify that you have to roll it... unless you want me to do it.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2012-07-08 at 02:20 AM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

20. - Top - End - #2000

If the group decides to venture down the tunnel with the carrion-crawler, Alanna does her very best to avoid touching it or coming any closer than she absolutely has to.
    If they go through one of the other tunnels, she proceeds normally, endeavoring to keep quiet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #2001
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth indoors/caves DC 14: (1d20)[1]
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

22. - Top - End - #2002
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

When Artanis reaches the ledge with Mycah, he looks sheepishly at the armored warrior. "Uh, sorry. I kind of panicked there a little... I was going to try and shoot it from up here though," he says quietly.
    Once the sound of conflict fades from the side tunnel, the young scout lowers his bow. He waits a moment or two to see if the fight is truly over.
    "Guess we can go back down. We still need to bring the rope up like Ash wanted anyway."

EDIT to fix since I haven't had enough coffee yet...
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2012-07-08 at 08:50 AM.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

23. - Top - End - #2003
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros retrieves his axe, and wipes the gore from the blade. "It seems that this weapon was forged on a fortuitous day. Well, let us see what lies beyond."

24. - Top - End - #2004
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis replied by simply nodding his head in understanding as he had seen the poor fellow on the floor due to the worm. Whether Mycah actually saw the nod or not wasn't any of his immediate concern.

I still must discern if we are safe on this end or not.

Unless Artanis has been notified by the rest of the group that the beast is dead (as it was in the tunnel there was no way he could have seen whether it was dead or not) he will not cease his current actions.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2012-07-08 at 08:56 AM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

25. - Top - End - #2005
    Ogre in the Playground

First, now that the beast is dead, Ash takes a look around to make sure no one was hurt. Then she responds after Nathros spoke.

"Indeed."

"But, you wish to wander the tunnels? For now, isn't it best to further investigate where we have seen the trouble makers retreat to?"

"Artanis and Mycah already seem to be up there."

"They (Necro-gang) are the biggest threat right now since:
    they know of us, we've taken some of them, and they are intelligent enough to mount counter attacks during the night, like the bat scouts."

"Which reminds me... tine to burn the crawler, unless anyone wants to chop guts for a while?"

26. - Top - End - #2006
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran peers closely to see the wounds on the carrion crawler.

"Yes, this is the one we fought last time. Good. I was wondering if maybe there were two of these crazy things crawling around here."

"I'll cut it up. Just give me a minute."

And Bran begins chopping with his sword.

"Just... like... cutting up a cow." He tries to ignore the fact that this cow has too many legs and tentacles.

Only after the carrion crawler is chopped into multiple pieces does Bran empty a flask of oil over the mess and set it on fire.

"That should work."

27. - Top - End - #2007
    Ogre in the Playground

Torn between curiosity and revulsion, Talsarios peers over Brandon's shoulder as he cuts up the carrion crawler corpse.
    "D'you know, that reminds me: is there a guild of scholars in Threshold? Anyone who might have a library of books, or - more to my point - be interested in unusual specimens?"

28. - Top - End - #2008

The sound of conversation drifts up to where Mycah and Artanis stand, though the exact words are unclear. Mycah can see by body language of those below that the battle has been won. Artanis carefully scans the ledge and surrounding area for a few minutes. The ledge is large enough for a few people, and the only exit seems to be the tunnel ahead. Perhaps twenty feet ahead it opens into a larger room, much warmer than this one, likely due to its use as a sleeping and living chamber and also because of the tunnel to the outside, which Artanis had recently crawled through. But no more active heat sources can be seen at the end of the tunnel. As for what was in the room beyond, only the clairvoyant could say.

Below, Brandon hacks up the beast into a few large pieces. It's gory work, but the thing seemed to lack much in the way of bones, making the work somewhat easier. After a few minutes, his work was complete.
    Forum Rules

29. - Top - End - #2009
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, seeing that it was safe up in the ledge area for now, went over to the thief as quietly as he could and whispered to Mycah in Common:
    Go down there quietly and see what the situation is down there. I'll keep watch up here just in case someone tries to ambush us or tries to raise the alarm. Oh, and take the torch along with you, I want no obstruction to my sight or warning to our foes lingering.

He then remembered to check for tracks in case he missed anything on the floor.

After all, the stones themselves have a tale to tell. However... he squinted at the stone floor I have not quite mastered tracking in such a... desolate terrain.

After his last attempt at gleaning any secrets from the earth he then tried to conceal himself so that he would not be as visible from the other room while allowing him some visibility should anything decide to show itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Whoo boy lots of skill checks
    Alertness DC 14: (1d20)[4]
    Tracking DC 14: (1d20)[10] (with penalties or bonuses on DM discretion)

In case I need to make another stealth check (which I hope I don't need to since it's already making me nervous being this close to another room that could be full of enemies).
    Stealth indoors/caves DC 14: (1d20)[7]
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2012-07-08 at 10:26 PM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

30. - Top - End - #2010
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros replies to Ashala, "Either is fine with me, though if this beast has a lair, I have a mind to see it and make sure no others lie in wait."