New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 68 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1843585960616263646566676869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #2011
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunamiatunzen1 View Post
    Artanis, seeing that it was safe up in the ledge area for now, went over to the thief as quietly as he could and whispered to Mycah in Common:
    Go down there quietly and see what the situation is down there. I'll keep watch up here just in case someone tries to ambush us or tries to raise the alarm. Oh, and take the torch along with you, I want no obstruction to my sight or warning to our foes lingering.
    Mycah nods in agreement with the elf and gets ready to climb back down.
    "Good idea," he whispers back. "The noise of the fight may attract those bandits again, so be careful."
    He'll descend to the floor once again and gather up the torch from where he dropped it when the crawler attacked, then venture after his companions and see what carnage they've wrought on the tentacled horror.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

2. - Top - End - #2012
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Mycah catches Ashala's response to Nathros, "I agree, but in due time. If there are more of these, they'll just as likely aid us against our enemy as hinder us. The people are still most likely the greatest threat, for now. They have magic, coordinated numbers, and the ability to forge a plan of attack." She'll nod at Nathros, checking his response respectfully.

If no one protests after she explains her reasoning, she'll organize the ascent of her team and climb up along with them.

3. - Top - End - #2013

RangerGuy

"I'm glad that thing is dead, believe me, but I'd feel safer knowing there wasn't another one down here. Are you sure we shouldn't take a little while just to be sure, Ash?"

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

4. - Top - End - #2014
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon wipes his ichor-stained sword on his trousers leg before sheathing it and once again taking up shortbow and arrow at the back of the party.

5. - Top - End - #2015
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have to disagree, Mycah," Talsarios says. "Monstrous insects are too dumb to warrant our focused attention while bandits and necromancers are at large. Let us be after the intelligent foes before they have time to plan our demise - or to escape!"
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-07-09 at 01:21 PM. Reason: darn colour mark up failed - AGAIN!

6. - Top - End - #2016
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I'm with Ash and Talsarios on this one," says Alanna. "If we take care of the necro-guy, then we won't have to chop up and burn all our kills!"
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #2017

RangerGuy

Mycah doesn't look too happy with the decision, but he and Nathros are clearly outnumbered, so he doesn't offer any more objections. Decision made, he'll return with the group to the base of the ledge and climb up again, this time carrying the rope.
    "We'll try to find something to tie this off to. Just give us a minute."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mycah will take the end of the rope to the next chamber (only 20' you said?) and tie it off to something solid - table, bed, whatever looks best.

"Artanis, maybe you should stay in here and keep guard so we don't get snuck up on while the others come up."
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2012-07-09 at 03:24 PM.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

8. - Top - End - #2018
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis only nodded and kept watch as he said.
    He whispered:
    Be careful in there.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

9. - Top - End - #2019
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Before Mycah headed up, Ash gently rested a gauntlet over Mycah's shoulder with an understanding expression behind her helmet. Since that would be hard to see, it was accompanied with, "For you, most of all, I understand why you'd want peace of mind regarding those crawlers. In the future however, the chances of us being caught with our trousers down are far less likely. We've learned from our mistake." She'd nod as he grabbed the rope to ascend the wall.

Then, she'll address the rest of the group, "Good work, everyone. You fought admirably. Let's keep it up."

Once the rope is secure, I think the team is ready to ascend one at a time.

10. - Top - End - #2020
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Artanis doesn't see anything from within the room, but there were parts to the side of the tunnel entrance that he couldn't see without actually entering the room (or at least sticking his head in). He seemed to set his feet carefully and, at least in his own estimation, was relatively quiet and stealthy.

Mycah's scout training kicks in as he heads down the tunnel. There was a sound from within the room ahead. He listened carefully, shutting out all other sound as best he could. It was the light crackle of a burning torch.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-07-09 at 08:08 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

11. - Top - End - #2021
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis stood still while the rest of the party climbed up to the ledge so as to keep from being detected.
    There is an old rule to fighting in the indoors. Always check behind doors and corners or your foe could have a nice juicy target.

He suddenly blinked and bared his teeth in a wolfy smile that quickly disappeared as he put action to thought.

As I don't want to put my head in there but I cannot leave the corners unchecked it might be wise to use a little something called...
    He touched the oil flask on his belt lightly.
    Fire in the hole... So let's toss this around the corner and hope it hits something.

He began to reach slowly towards his flint and steel to light it. He would brief his comrades on his idea later.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

12. - Top - End - #2022
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros shrugs his shoulders and stoically continues on with the party. He sheaths his sword and hangs his axe from his belt, keeping his spear and shield handy.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

13. - Top - End - #2023

RangerGuy

Mycah stops as he hears the faint crackle of the torch, holding up a hand behind him. He'll turn and look over his shoulder at the elven warrior behind him and hold a finger to his lips, then set the rope down and draw a dagger from his belt.

Still holding his ground, the young scout watches the shadows and light in the room ahead, trying to see if there are people in the room as well, or merely a torch left burning. If need be he'll creep forward as silently as he can and try to get a better look into the room to be sure it's empty.
    Spoiler
    Show

No firebombs yet!!!

Move Silently (25%): (1d100)[10]
    Hide in Shadows (15%): (1d100)[17]

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

14. - Top - End - #2024

Mycah and Artanis stand near the tunnel's far end, clearly with different ideas about what to do next.

Everyone else remains below, waiting for the scout to tie off and drop the rope, unless they decide to climb the hand holds. Artanis reaches for his oil as the young scout steps past him.

Mycah moves swiftly in response to the sound, slipping into the shadow in the doorway. His first foot into the room nearly slips out from under him, the ground around the doorway was slick with oil. Mycah could spy an upturned table in the corner, a man hiding behind it, torch in hand. He peeks around the edge of his table, but fails to see the scout hiding in the doorway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Both thief skill checks successful under the circumstances.

We're not quite in combat rounds, but this is happening fast.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-07-11 at 09:45 AM.
    Forum Rules

15. - Top - End - #2025
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis merely cocked his head to the side quizically as the surprisingly taller human, Mycah, attempted to sneak forward undetected. He stopped reaching for an oil flask and his flint and steel and instead chose to grasp Solahel's hilt, ready to draw on a moment's notice.

If he finds any trouble it will be behind the corner. A bow would do little good there and I must finish anyone who attempts to ambush our brave, if unlucky, marksman.

He decided not to push his luck at moving silently in his plate mail and then remembered the others who had most likely not been trained for stealth.
    He immediately let go of Solahel and held up one hand to the others behind him, as the only person who had gone ahead had been Mycah, to tell them to stop and the other with a finger near his lips to tell them to be quiet.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

16. - Top - End - #2026

RangerGuy

Seeing the waiting bandit, Mycah ducks back around the corner and carefully takes the couple steps back to Artanis.
    Putting his mouth to the elf's ear, he whispers "One man hiding in the corner with a torch, oil all over the floor in the doorway. I think I can toss that flask of yours into his corner before he has a chance to react. As soon as I do, get the others up here. No time for the rope now."
    He'll hold out a hand for the flask...
    Spoiler
    Show

Impetuous youngsters these days...
    Assuming Artanis hands over the oil, Mycah will throw it to smash on the wall over the bandit's head (and torch) and then run back to the ledge and scoop up his bow.
    Throw to hit wall in corner: (1d20+1)[2]

Here goes nothing!

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

17. - Top - End - #2027

The flask clinks across the cave floor undamaged, and the lone guard certainly becomes aware that he's not alone. He doesn't quite leave his cover, though he peers more intently in Mycah's direction.

Artanis finds himself mid-way through the twenty foot tunnel between Mycah and the ledge. All others remain below.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mycah wins initiative. Assuming he alerts Artanis, Artanis can move, but not move and attack.

None of this is sufficiently loud to make it back to the group below.
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #2028
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros remains alert for any additional carrion crawlers.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

19. - Top - End - #2029
    Ogre in the Playground

At any sign of trouble above, Ash will begin climbing with out a rope.

20. - Top - End - #2030
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon continues to play rear guard, an arrow at his bow, ready to loose on any monsters attacking the party from behind.

21. - Top - End - #2031
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis stood still and waited for any word from Mycah. He then slowly reached for the rope that Mycah had dropped.
    Did he do it? I can't hear any screaming or fighting.

Spoiler
    Show
    If he is alerted by Mycah, loudly, Artanis moves quickly to the oil but stops short of it so that if it is lit he won't get hurt. If it was quietly then he would use sneak.

Stealth indoors/cave DC 14: (1d20)[12]

If he is not alerted by Mycah then he will lower the rope and try to help people to climb up to his current position. Preferrably the guys not wearing plate go first as he does not trust his strength to hold.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

22. - Top - End - #2032
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey, I say - where are Mycah and that elf chap, and how are we to know if they need help? It's all very clever, splitting up to scout ahead, but oughtn't we have a system of signals? Bird-calls and whistles and the like?"

23. - Top - End - #2033
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash merely shakes her head to herself and begins climbing as she's next in the marching order.

This is starting to get over complicated. The rope is the fall back plan, not the means of ascension. I guess I'll get started with out it. I'm sure they'll realize sooner or later that there's nothing much to secure the rope to up there.

What if the new guy thinks it's a magnificent time to announce his presence like last time?
    I'd better get up there.

24. - Top - End - #2034

RangerGuy

Mycah freezes in place, in disbelief that he could have flubbed the throw so poorly. It didn't even break?!
    Heart pounding, he realizes the guard still hasn't seen him, so perhaps all is not lost. He once again retraces to where Artanis waits.
    "Damn! it didn't work, the flask didn't even break. I don't think he saw me though, but he knows someone is here. We need to get the others up here and move fast! I'll go get them - stay here and be ready!"
    Myah will run to meet Ash as she reaches the ledge and quickly tell her what's happened so far.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

25. - Top - End - #2035
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

As she's getting near the top, she listens to what Mycah says quickly, then looks down and gestures with her arm for the rest to follow. "Quickly, there's gonna be trouble," she says to apprise them as fast as possible.

She'll climb into the tunnel and make her way through to the halfway point as quickly and quietly as she can. She'll try to wait for the rest to regroup with her before moving in unless Mycah and Artanis need her cause the man in the room starts to act.

26. - Top - End - #2036

Mycah and Artanis stand just on the tunnel side of the doorway, out of the oil slick. Ash climbs to the ledge, and finds Mycah rushing to greet her. With a quick version of events, he catches her up to speed.

As the guard tosses his torch into the oil slick, it bursts into flame, creating a veil of flame from floor to waist height, though it begins to lower immediately.

Ash spies Artanis, back lit by flame, though the elf seems unharmed. Those below get Ash's call to join her. Artanis can feel the potentially damaging flames barring his way into the room, though they don't literally prevent his entry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative tied. Declare PC actions and I'll sort it out. The guard in the room will bolt for the tunnel down which his fellows fled last time. He will reach the opening this round (if he lives to do so).
    Forum Rules

27. - Top - End - #2037
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I dunno… but I think we'd hear the sound of fighting," Alanna mutters to Talsarios as they move forward to climb. She still hasn't heard the battle taking place above.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #2038
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran keeps pace with the rest of the party. Since he is at the back, he can only move as quickly as everyone else moves.

"Can you hear anything?" he asks over his shoulder.

29. - Top - End - #2039
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros idles, waiting for the call to action.

30. - Top - End - #2040
    Ogre in the Playground

Rats! Why'd they go so far in with out us? -Something could have happened to them. - What's done is done. Think quickly, Ash.

Upon seeing the flame, Ashala's reflexes take over. She'll try to shuffle as fast as she can to get into the room which obviously has seen some recent conflict due to the man Mycah had told her about. She'll try to intercept the guard at his tunnel - which she remembers seeing the enemy flee from last time she was here.

She'll likely look somewhat menacing in the firelight, if she makes it around, since it'd cast a larger shadow behind her. And what armor isn't at least a bit intimidating? ;)

If the guardsman still tries to get past her, she'll swing her sword at him as he approaches, but she'll keep her shield guard up just in case he has a counter attack in mind.

If the flame thoroughly keeps her at bay, she'll take out her bow and fire at him as he bolts for the passageway.

Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 1 (with shield) OR 2 (with bow)
    HP: 11/11
    Thac0: 18 (sword) OR 17 (bow)
    Attack: (1d20)[4]
    Damage: (sword) (1d8)[6] OR (bow) (1d6)[6]
    Alertness DC13: (1d20)[2] for any details it'd be good to notice right now.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-07-14 at 12:25 PM.