New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 69 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1944596061626364656667686970717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #2041
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Artanis muttered something under his breath.

How did I know our luck would run out? I never seem to have any luck, whether it's in a party or solo.

He decided it was too risky to chance an arrow as he knew missing would allow him to alert others. He uttered the incantations and magical gestures to fire one of the Magic Arrows that he had prepared.

I was saving this for someone else not you. But we can't have you running to alert your necromancer overlord now can we?

As the arrow struck the guard, he decided to forgo his elven war-cry in favor of any stealth that they could retain.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Arrow damage: (1d6+1)[4]
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2012-07-15 at 09:12 AM.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

2. - Top - End - #2042
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

To those below, this happened last round:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    ASHALA
    As she's getting near the top, she listens to what Mycah says quickly, then looks down and gestures with her arm for the rest to follow. "Quickly, there's gonna be trouble," she says to apprise them as fast as possible.
    Ash rushes past Mycah and into the room, but it's clear that she's not going to be able to cut off the fleeing foe. She fires her bow, but to no avail. Behind her, Artanis turns to cast his spell into the room, catching the man with his arcane arrow. Mycah, emboldened by his allies, throws a dagger across the room, sending the guard sprawling, dead, into the cave mouth.

The fire in the entryway dies down to just the torchlight of the fallen torch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ash does notice that the area around the fallen foe darkens quickly as he falls. A faint light was coming from the tunnel, but it has gone away. The torchlight at her feet barely reaches that far.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-07-15 at 08:07 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #2043
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash will quickly assess the situation in the room, now that it's safe to enter. If there isn't an enemy who seems to have noticed this scuffle, she'll help with the rope to get everyone up and regroup.

4. - Top - End - #2044
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna gladly accepts Ash's help.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #2045
    Ogre in the Playground

Gracelessly, Talsarios scrambles up to join the advance party.

6. - Top - End - #2046
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros brings up the rear.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

7. - Top - End - #2047
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon gets out of his place in the party and peers ahead, aiming his arrow at the darkness.

"No one hurt? Good if so."

8. - Top - End - #2048
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah hangs back as the better-armored warriors go by and check the room.
    "We got that one Lady Ash, but did you see the light? There was another one in that tunnel. They sure know we're here now," he offers in a low voice.

He'll follow into the room and gather up his dagger, as well as Artanis' oil flask, which he returns sheepishly. "Um, thanks anyway. That didn't exactly work like I thought."

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

9. - Top - End - #2049

As usual, the climbing is slower going and a greater effort for the smaller, weaker, or more heavily armored party members, but the handholds are well-made and make the ascent relatively safe, especially with assistance from above.

Within minutes, all can be assembled in the room above. The tunnel through which Artanis entered yesterday has been collapsed. Only the tunnel through which yesterday's foes fled remains.

Spoiler
    Show
    For those already on the upper level, there is a minute or two to spare here, if you have actions you'd like to take.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-07-16 at 08:09 PM.
    Forum Rules

10. - Top - End - #2050
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis accepted the oil flask wordlessly and turned furiously towards the tunnel that he had earlier suggested and how disastrously it could have ended. He only glowered at it with anger.

After hearing Mycah telling Ash that they were most likely announced now, Artanis searched the room for any useful items and the dead guard for any belongings while the others climbed up to the ledge.

If we are found out, we must use anything that we possibly can to defeat this foe.

After he searched the body and had relieved it of anything that looked remotely useful or valuable, he put the brigand to the torch with the instrument of destruction that had been intended for them.

While the body was burning, he began to see if he could find out how many people had gone back to raise the alarm. He cautiously entered the tunnel to find any tracks that might tell him the number of foes that had fled into the darkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness DC 14: (1d20)[17]
    Tracking DC 14: (1d20)[15]
    Stealth Indoors/Caves DC 14: (1d20)[4]
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

11. - Top - End - #2051

The smell of burning human flesh was horrific. It quickly spread throughout the chamber.

Artanis searched the fallen man and found that he carried a short sword, crummy dagger, a large pouch of assorted coins totaling 97 gp worth, and a small vial of fizzy liquid. Artanis could tell the tunnel was very well trod, but the earth could tell him nothing more specific.
    Forum Rules

12. - Top - End - #2052
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis wrinkled his nose at the smell of burning human flesh.

This necromancer makes it so that the best we can give our foes is a cremation.

He decided to regroup with the others after his search turned up very little. He would distribute the coins and other loot that he found on the fallen later unless they wanted it now. He handed Mycah back the dagger that he had thrown at the brigand and moved on towards Alanna and Talsarios.

As soon as he reached the wizard and cleric he pulled out the vial and carefully handed it to them.

Do you happen to know what this is?

After he received his answer, he thanked them and took the vial back.

He offered the short sword that he had found but if no one wanted it he would take it for himself.

After all, I may need a back-up weapon if Solahel proves too unwieldy for my situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roland unless I receive word from you I'll assume that the crummy dagger was Mycah's.

Unless someone else wants to volunteer for the job I will take on the role of book-keeper for treasure. I'll put it on my character sheet as a spoiler marked as: 'Undistributed Treasure'
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2012-07-16 at 10:49 PM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

13. - Top - End - #2053

"So, Ash, what now?" whispers Alanna. She fingers her holy symbol apprehensively.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #2054
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon says quietly, "You all might want to look aside while I do this."

Then he proceeds to dismember the dead body, cutting it into four pieces and then dousing the pieces with another flask of oil and setting it on fire.

He is sweating after, looking nauseated. "It's worse when the corpse is human."

15. - Top - End - #2055
    Ogre in the Playground

"Agh!" Talsarios turns away from the dismemberment with a look of disgust.
    He looks imploringly at Alanna - "Is there no ceremonial way to lay the dead to rest?" he pleads, holding a handkerchief to his mouth and nose.

16. - Top - End - #2056
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros shakes his head and silently wishes his companions would stop setting fires in a confined environment; knowing full well that an oil fire is not going to destroy the body, he suggests just cutting off the heads in the future.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

17. - Top - End - #2057

RangerGuy

When Artanis hands him the dagger, Mycah accepts it, but notes "I already got mine back, but another can't hurt. Thank you." He doesn't say any more, realizing that the elf is mad at him for his failed plan.

He starts coughing from the smoke in the confined space, burying his mouth in his sleeve to muffle the sound. "We need to keep moving - find some fresher air."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

18. - Top - End - #2058
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

After ASH returned from helping everyone up, she would see the body lit aflame and watch Brandon chop it up. This seemed odd to her to do right here and now and the smell was so disgusting, she thought. She'd respond after the others spoke, "I agree that chopping their head is probably enough, since we're burning them all anyways. Also, couldn't we just send the bodies up the rope for the workers to pile and burn outside? They probably need to do a little more than clap their hands together to raise a body to fight for them. I don't see the need to rush."

After the matter was settled, she will organize everyone in the regular formation once more. Then she'd suggest everyone try to keep as quiet as they can so that everyone could hear better if there are foes waiting up ahead. She still thinks having an advanced scouting group is too dangerous if they are seen. She'll suggest having the "fire-bombs" wicked and at the ready, but for everyone to be careful.

When everyone's ready, the group can proceed cautiously through the tunnel that had a torch in it - the one Artanis had scouted.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness DC13: (1d20)[11]

19. - Top - End - #2059

There was light at the end of the tunnel, torch or lamplight judging by the flickering nature of it. The tunnel proceeded thirty feet before opening into a large room, at least forty feet across. As they proceed, Nathros notices the somewhat downward slope of the tunnel. Ash becomes aware that three thugs, two with crossbows, wait ten feet into the room.

Spoiler
    Show

You know they are there, they know you are coming. No surprise. Ash can basically see in a cone from the tunnel to the far wall, but there are large areas of the room she can't see yet. Those have not been described and my contain your doom anything.

PCs win initiative. Ash starts five feet from the tunnel opening. Nathros is a few feet behind her and so on.

Stock marching order:
    Ash - Melee/Ranged, Well Armored.
    Nathros - Melee, Well Armored.
    Artanis - Ranged, Spell Support, Some Armor, Flask Thrower?
    Mycah - Ranged, Forest Scout, Support, Flask Thrower.
    Talsarios - Torch, Oil Flasks, Spell Support.
    Alanna - Torch, Healing Spell, Oil Flasks, Mace/Sling, Armored.
    Brandon - Weapons, Armored, Injured.
    Forum Rules

20. - Top - End - #2060
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perfect!" Talsarios says with a smile of clear delight - and he intones the arcane words and weaves the gestures of a spell, targeting the thugs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alastor Talsarios MU1, HP2/2, THAC0 19, AC 9
    Casts Sleep, targeting the thugs.

21. - Top - End - #2061
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

In the back, Bran wipes clean his sword on his cloak and sheaths it again. He takes up his bow and an arrow, unaware as of yet of the combat beginning up ahead.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2012-07-18 at 04:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #2062
    Titan in the Playground

Not for the first time, Nathros wonders why Brandon wears trousers over his plated mail armour.

23. - Top - End - #2063
    Ogre in the Playground

If Talsarios's sleep spell doesn't work on all of them, Ash will let her backpack fall from her shoulders and she'll charge the closest crossbowman. If they all sleep, she'll take out her bow instead as she scouts the room with Nathros and Artanis while the others would wait as rear guard in case this was a trap room. If there are others, she'll charge them instead. If she recognizes any kind of a trap organized, she'll try to sabotage it (or the person who has to trigger it) first.

Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 1
    HP: 11/11
    Thac0: 18 (Sword)
    Attack: (1d20)[19]
    Damage: (1d8)[1]
    Alertness for traps and ambushes - DC 13: (1d20)[20]

24. - Top - End - #2064

eek Re: Old Ways IC

Alanna waits in the back, occassionally standing on tiptoe to get a peek inside.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #2065

RangerGuy

Mycah will hold his place in line, a dagger in hand ready to throw if need be.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

26. - Top - End - #2066
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis unslung his bow and nocked an arrow and let it fly at the closest enemy that was awake.
    If there was no one awake, he cautiously searched them, alert for any unpleasant surprises.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thac0 (bow) 17: (1d20+1)[10]
    Damage: (1d6)[2]
    Alertness DC 14: (1d20)[7]
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

27. - Top - End - #2067

Alastor Talsarios, scholar and mage, completes his spell and two of the crossbowmen drop to the floor asleep. Ash charges the third and deals him a glancing blow. Artanis tries a difficult shot over the head of the dwarf in front of him, but he fails to land it.

Everyone else finds their way blocked by those in front of them and can do little but try to peer through the lineup to see what's beyond.

Ash, in the room now, finds herself flanked by sword-wielding skeletons. Clean white bones seem to stand impossibly with swords raised and grim grins on their skulls. Two such animated skeletons stand on each side of her.

Ahead and just off to the right, stands an angry-looking and large mace-wielding hobgoblin.

Spoiler
    Show

PCs win initiative again! Keep in mind that your what your character knows and his actions this round are probably restrained by what those in front of you do.

Accounting:
    Two sleeping crossbowmen
    One slightly injured crossbowman
    Four skeletons
    One Hobgoblin

Your marching order for reference:
    Ash - Melee/Ranged, Well Armored.
    Nathros - Melee, Well Armored.
    Artanis - Ranged, Spell Support, Some Armor, Flask Thrower?
    Mycah - Ranged, Forest Scout, Support, Flask Thrower.
    Talsarios - Torch, Oil Flasks, Spell Support.
    Alanna - Torch, Healing Spell, Oil Flasks, Mace/Sling, Armored.
    Brandon - Weapons, Armored, Injured.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-07-19 at 09:08 PM.
    Forum Rules

28. - Top - End - #2068

Alanna is alarmed by the clanking sounds of battle. She still can't see what's going on, which is only cause for more unease. She tries to squeeze into the room to help, with her mace in her good hand and her sling in her off hand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just realized I haven't been keeping track of the ammunition for my sling… is that OK? Is the cost neglible? Until Roland says otherwise, I'm going to assume Alanna's got enough ammo but will be running low next time they get to a market.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #2069

RangerGuy

As the party pushes it's way into the room, Mycah gets a better view of what is happening. Seeing the hobgoblin as the largest threat (and Ash already engaged with the last crossbowman, he targets the large humanoid and throws the dagger.
    Spoiler
    Show

Mycah, Level 2 Thief:
    HP: 3/3 AC: 6 Thac0: 19 (18 Missile)

ATTACK: (1d20+1)[8] DAMAGE: (1d4)[1]

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

30. - Top - End - #2070
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash shouts, "Ranged attackers, keep focus on Mycah's target!" Maybe that'll take the power from the skeletons, or perhaps there'd be an amulet controlling them...

She looks at a skeleton that flanks her and tries to step around before delivering the next attack on the crossbowman. Right, these things would be hard to slice and stab... "Alanna - think you can do anything about these boney fellas? Or anyone with a mace-like weapon and a ton of armor, pick a skeleton!" She yells loud to make sure her voice can be carried to her group in the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 1
    HP: 11/11
    Thac0: 18 (sword)
    Attack (at the crossbowman): (1d20)[13]
    Damage: (1d8)[5]