New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 84 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Nathros stands nearby, sword at the ready, torch lighting the chamber.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Brandon finds the tunnel a dark and somewhat rocky one, but at least it stays the same width throughout and the earth above and below seems solid. After a good bit of crawling the tunnel opens out into a room of some kind. His feeble light source reveals only that there seems to be level ground and more room above than a tunnel roof.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

After a few moments to listen for movement and thus danger, Brandon crouched at the mouth of the small tunnel and shouted, "I'm at the other end! It opens up into another big room or something, but the bug light is too weak to let me see much!"

"Crawl on over while I wait! Bring my gear if you can, or I'll just go back after you're all here and bring it myself!"

Brandon was trying to sound polite but it was hard to be polite when yelling at the top of one's lungs.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid muttered as he dragged Brandon's stuff behind him through the tunnel. As he neared the end, he called out, "Alright! I'm coming! I brought your stuff. Make it heavier, next time!" Upon exiting, he dragged the stuff out of the way and plopped down on the dirt, feigning exhaustion, while he waited for the others.
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros crawls through the tunnel.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

6. - Top - End - #186

Jeanne brings up the rear muttering to herself about dirt.

The party arrives in what the torchlight reveals to be a large cavern, larger than the sphere of torchlight anyway. Rough walls of solid earth seem to Nathros to be natural or crudely dug and the floor is uneven but solid as far as the eye can see. The room is dead quiet.
    Forum Rules

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

"I would advise less yelling and more stealth from this point onwards," Nathros says. He then moves west to the edge of the torchlight to see if he can find the limit of the cavern.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2010-10-30 at 10:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

The young farmer looked a bit puzzled at Nathros' suggestion, equivalent to that of Sid's earlier. He was used to ignoring Sid's wilder ideas, but apparently the dwarf shared them, so there must be something to it.

He asked courteously, "How would you recommend I signal to you then that I am at the other end of the tunnel?"

He added hastily, "Without crawling all the way back to tell you, please."

He looked around. "Well, let's explore then."

And he put on his gear, sheathed his dagger, and drew his sword and shield, and started walking around the cavern with Nathros, sticking to the wall so that he would naturally see any passages leading out of it. He looked up sometimes to see if there was anything lurking above.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

"The element of stealth was lost the moment we banged on the front door. Torchlight doesn't help either. Let us play the part of clumsy adventurers and continue stomping through his hole."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

"Elves possess a natural stealth that far exceeds that which we are capable of, which in turn makes them dismissive of what little craft we employ. Still, in underground caverns sound travels farther than the light of a torch, so again I say speak only when necessary and if whispering will suffice, let it. If a scout must crawl back to quietly impart his discovery to his companions, then let him also do that. No need to assume we are discovered until we are."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looked unhappy at the prospect of crawling through narrow tunnels just to inform his companions that the way was clear, but he nodded agreement to Nathros.

The dirty young farm boy scratched under his armpits and muttered, "I need at least two baths."

12. - Top - End - #192

The wall was the same rocky soil. Densely packed and seemingly solid. The chamber was tall enough to walk in, even for Nathros and Brandon proceed into the room. If they hadn't heard the sound recently, they wouldn't have recognized it, but as it was he knew there were more beetles ahead. Still shrouded in the darkness, but there and their glowing red spots came into to view, advancing.

What Sid hears is different, more subtle. He'd spent lots of time listening carefully for trouble - or someone trying to stop his troublemaking, and this was the kind of little thing he'd learned to listen for. A slight scrape off to his right, the opposite side of the room from where Nathros and Brandon had headed. It was an area still shrouded in darkness, but Sid knew that someone or something was there.

Spoiler
    Show

The room is roughly ovoid. Fifty feet across and slightly more wide. The tunnel entrance is at the west side of the room. Jeanne and Sid remain near the the tunnel entrance on the west side of the room. Nathros and Brandon have proceeded along the wall to the north and are now near the north side of the room. The beetles at the east side of the room, but headed north. The noise Sid hears is off to the south.

Sid makes a Hear Noise check.
    Players win Initiative 6 to 3. = 1d6=6, 1d6=3

PC's turn!
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon called in a seemingly calm voice over his shoulder, "More beetles approaching. Dunno how many yet."

When they were close enough, he attacked with his sword, glad that he had his shield to protect himself with as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: [roll]1d20+1[/roll]
    Thac0: 19
    Damage: [roll]1d8+1[/roll]

Last edited by Frivolous; 2010-10-31 at 04:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Spoiler
    Show

Hmm, let's try again, shall we?

Attack: (1d20+1)[6]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[5]

15. - Top - End - #195

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Standing near the tunnel and seeing Brandon and Nathros head north, Sid swiped an arm ineffectually, in a reflex attempting to halt them. Whispered fiercely ---> "Sst! Something's back over this way, too! Let the bugs with the glowing parts come to us!" Thinking that Nathros could be correct, and not everything down here was awake yet, he hesitated between helping out with the obvious thread and investigating yet another something that might or might not be immediately relevant. Gripping his sword, he turned to Jeanne and Stefan. "Anybody want to come with me to check this out?"

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne silently nods, bow with arrow in hand.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros gets ready to face the impending threat, and stands with Brandon. If he can palm of his torch to a nearby character then he will, otherwise attack and damage rolls are as below:

Spoiler
    Show

THAC0: 19
    Attack: (1d20+1)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]

18. - Top - End - #198

Nathros and Brandon find themselves faced with a trio of beetles, the lead one moving fearlessly toward them. Brandon swings wide. Nathros' attack lands, the flickering light of his torch accentuated by the motion.

Sid and Jeanne head toward the other end of the room to investigate the mysterious sound. In the south end of the room, they find a half-dozen barrels and remnants of a few others. Nothing immediately corresponding to the sound Sid heard appears.

The three beetles advance, biting the air before Brandon and Nathros menacingly.

Spoiler
    Show

All three attacked and missed.

Lead Beetle - Serious Injured
    North Beetle
    South Beetle

Initiative next round is a tie: 1d6=1, 1d6=1

So post your actions and I'll add in what else happens in my next post.
    Forum Rules

19. - Top - End - #199

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Just like back at the secret door, when Brandon was being attacked, Sid, wanting to make sure that they weren't going to get hit from two sides, examined the area, still holding his sword but itching to switch back to his bow, to help with the beetles.

Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope. Thac0: 19

Awareness ---> (1d20+1)[18] Also, how far away are the groups? Just wondering if Jeanne and Sid would be in range to shoot, from way over here.

- Myself

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros grimaces and strikes on!

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+1)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon pants as he hacks with his sword at the beetle/s.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+1)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[4]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Disappointed, Jeanne turns to the sound of battle and fires an arrow. If there's no clear shot in the confined area she instead drops her bow, draws her trident, and finds an opening.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+1)[5] vs. THAC0 19
    (1d6)[1]

Add +1 if the trident is used.

23. - Top - End - #203

The three beetles charge on Nathros and Brandon fiercely, but their bites are kept at bay by the warriors, each of whom places a sound blow into the nearest beetle. The foremost beetle slumps to the ground under Nathros' blow, and the other rears back from Brandon's solid hit.

Jeanne's arrow goes wide.

Sid watches vigilantly the battle and the barrel area, and just when the battle seems to capture most of his attention, he spots it. A pair of small humanoids with scaly, rusty brown skin and dog-like faces, scurrying toward the tunnel through which the party entered.

Spoiler
    Show

Lead Beetle - Incapacitated
    Northern Beetle - Grievously injured
    Southern Beetle - Uninjured

Two Kobolds - slipped out from behind the barrels and now headed toward the the tunnel entrance.

The room is sufficiently small that any individual could reach another in a single round and all are within missile range for those wielding bows.
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #204

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Not even close to expecting that, Sid yelped, "Yeugh! Dog things!" as he darted forward to kick at one, going for the legs.

Spoiler
    Show
    O. O. C. ---> HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope. Thac0: 19

Attempting to strike the thing to stun it, which is apparently just a regular attack roll ---> (1d20)[18]

- Myself

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Emboldened by his continued success, Nathros attempts to lay low another of the creatures. "Would that I had my spear to hand, these gnashing pincers draw too close for comfort!"

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+1)[14]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[4]

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon attacked again, grunting, "But we'd never have been able to bring such a long device down here."

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+1)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[9]

Last edited by Frivolous; 2010-11-08 at 12:00 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207

Brandon and Nathros bring their steel down on the remaining beetles with devastating effect. The giant bugs twitch to a stop as Sid runs down one of the little dog-faced creatures. Jeanne catches the other with an arrow, just before he enters the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show

All giant beetles - incapacitated
    Fast Kobold - incapacitated
    Slow Kobold - grappling with Sid

PCs win initiative - 1d6=6, 1d6=1
    Forum Rules

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

The very dirty farm boy in his plate mail drew his sword out of the glowing beetle. He turned around, his sword blade covered in bug juices.

He panted, "Dog things?"

Then he saw what Sid was fighting and attacked.

Spoiler
    Show

This attack roll presumes that Brandon can reach the kobolds in the same round. I am not sure how far away they are.

Attack: (1d20+1)[9]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[9]

29. - Top - End - #209

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid yelped again, as Brandon's sword swung by. "Ack! Watch where you're swinging that thing! I'm sorry I left you to the bugs!" As he wrestled with the kobold, he yelled, "Don't kill it! Help me!"

O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope. Thac0: 19

Okay, so he's wrestling now. I found out what Sid's Wrestling Rating is attached and attached it to the rolls. Here are two rolls, since it sounded like he's already grabbed the kobold. The others might just think that this is funny or something and not help him out immediately. (1d20+9)[17] to take him down, and (1d20+9)[12] to pin him.

- Myself

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros watches the area for signs of additional enemies, leaving Brandon and Sid to take care of the remaining kobold.