New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 72 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2247626364656667686970717273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #2131
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

ASHALA

Without hesitation, Ash will behead (coup de grace) the abomination and poke it with the tip of her sword so that it slumps over to the ground.

She turns around to face her group, "Great job, everyone!"

In a hushed tone, she'll continue. "Now. We have to tie up the crossbowmen, even the dead one, so they can't fight us further if the spell wears off or if the dead one would be raised. Unless you guys want him burned. Brandon and Nathros, it should be one of you to handle that. I can try to bind wounds on the other."
    "Mycah, you should be on guard in case the skeletons start coming back or if the necromancer even so much as casts a shadow in the hall. Hide around the corner for cover though. Do not make yourself a target."
    "Talsarios, see if you can discern how long our comrades will be unable to move for. I think it's a spell."
    "If we have time, I'll tend to wounds as best I can."

"There are too many uncertainties should we choose to pursue them now, but the odds will most certainly be against us if we wait to recoup and prepare."
    She spend the round pondering what to do after everyone has hopefully done as she asked. Perhaps they'll have an idea for her to consider. She'll try to bind wounds if she can.

"If we only knew how long the skeleton threat would remain at bay..." She looks to where Alanna lay. In her mind, she pleads with her to start to move again, but she knows there's no choice in the matter and that it's no use.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal DC 10: (1d20)[5]

2. - Top - End - #2132
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna lets out a mental sigh of relief. She secretly hopes they'll wait before attacking the necromancer. It's better that we get out of this alive than that we beat all our foes.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #2133
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis took little notice of the thoul's defeat and strained at the spell that held him against his will.

HE MUST DIE! HE MUST PAY!

If anyone were to look into his mind they would see nothing to suggest that he could think of any other purpose except to end the necromancer's life.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

4. - Top - End - #2134
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon doesn't seem too secure yet. He takes out a flask of oil and quietly says, "We need to tie up that sleeping crossbowman and take him back up to interrogate. He'll be able to tell us about the necromancer and his other minions."

Then he throws the flask of oil at the torch he had thrown earlier, hoping to create a pool of flaming oil to illuminate that entire area and the dark tunnel where the necromancer had been lurking.

"Let's keep alert. The necromancer could still be here. It's so dark, we might just not be seeing him right."

5. - Top - End - #2135
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Brandon tosses a flask of oil near the fallen torch. It flares up, illuminating a bit more of the tunnel. Nothing lurks in the dozen or so fee that can be seen.

The room is littered with burning patches of oil and bodies.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't want to give too much away, but things are happening outside of the characters' presence that require you to keep posting what you're doing (almost) round-by-round, rather than skipping ahead to clean up.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

6. - Top - End - #2136

Alanna grows more impatient with the paralysis. If she could move, she'd be tapping her feet, though if she could move, she wouldn't have any reason for impatience. In fact, if she could move, she would probably be attending to someone's wounds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #2137
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros ensures that the prisoners are secure, conducts a rudimentary search of the area, and then prepares to leave with his companions.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

8. - Top - End - #2138
    Ogre in the Playground

Even though the necromancer was most likely long gone, Artanis saw nothing else but the necromancer's appearance. It was as if it had become etched into the very scenery that was going on around him. All-consuming, persistent, and hateful.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless I'm moved, attacked, or released from the spell it's basically this:
    KILL! KILL! KILL!
    For those of you who read Warriors (the cats in the forest, not some other book series), yes it's a reference to the dogs and their speech in the book.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

9. - Top - End - #2139
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran searches the bodies of the enemy, both living and dead.

"You know, there must be another entrance to this dungeon. They likely didn't come in the way we did."

10. - Top - End - #2140
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

So, since everyone was busy and didn't take her up on her offer to bandage them, she'll be trying to patch herself up.

She is grateful for Brandon's and Nathros' help so far (and Mycah's, if he's also helping with something).

She'll reply to Brandon's concerns with a steady, quiet voice and a suggestion, "Perhaps our best chances will be to try to hold out for the night and just get our team back in action again. Those skeletons will likely be on our tail though. I don't imagine they'll flee forever.
    We could search for the other possible entrances tomorrow."

She groans as she pulls on a bandage and puts pressure on her wound,"If we leave now, we'll have to carry our friends and the two crossbowmen. The third we'll have to set ablaze before we go. That's a one-to-one ratio between those that need to be carried and those that can carry. That'd make a retreat tricky.
    The necromancer has something he's working on, no doubt. With us so close to defeat, there's no way he'd give up. He's probably waiting on the skeletons... And we won't be able to fight them the way we are right now.
    I think we have to run."

Spoiler
    Show
    Points Healed: (1d3)[1]

11. - Top - End - #2141

The two living crossbowmen can be bound in a couple minutes. Likewise, they can all be relieved of their valuables by Brandon. In total, he finds three crossbows, 32 quarrels, 912 gp, a sack of dried berries, a small black wand, and two potions (one gray and one labeled healing and similar to the one found earlier). Also, the dead crossbowman is wearing a small iron amulet with the image of a fanged serpent engraved into it.

The fires, both oil and unmanned torches die down quickly and the room remains illuminated by the dim lamp on the table.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nevaera, don't forget to actually roll the Heal check (1d20, roll low!)
    Forum Rules

12. - Top - End - #2142
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

After examining the crossbowmen and relieving them of their valuables and equipment, Bran also pokes at the thoul zombie's corpse, but he carefully avoids touching the dead undead monster with his bare skin.

He relieves it of its mace and any valuables or equipment.

"Talsarios. You might want to hold this." Bran gingerly hands the wand over to the party magic-user. The wand's black color seems to be making the young fighter nervous.

"And you better hold onto these for now."
    He also hands over the potions.

13. - Top - End - #2143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nevaera, don't forget to actually roll the Heal check (1d20, roll low!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I did! :D See first post on this page. That was before I was sure how much time we had to account for per post.
    I didn't roll the actual amount that would be healed before cause I didn't know before posting if it'd be successful and cause I now knew that the heal check was being applied to Ash. Figured I'd take a chance on how much since it would be more awkward working on her own wounds.
    Originally, I'd thought someone would want me to take a look at their wounds, but I always had intentions of Ash being busy healing, so I said she'd be trying to bind wounds. And then I rolled. ^_^
    Is there maybe still a reason why I should roll again?

If Brandon or Talsarios share the knowledge of the healing potion being discovered, and that it matches the unlabeled potion from earlier, Ash will suggest that Nathros and Brandon each carry one.

She will also say that this might give the group the edge they need to survive the night and maybe even mount a successful counter attack tomorrow. Again, she'll try to be quiet so that no one around the corners will hear her.

She will offer to take a look at Nathros' wounds next if he wants.

14. - Top - End - #2144
    Titan in the Playground

"That wizard might have cracked a rib or two, but I had best not remove my armour until we are in a less dangerous locale. Are these two going to snap out of it any time soon?" Nathros gathers his gear, and considers how best to transport two paralysed companions and two prisoners back to the surface.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

15. - Top - End - #2145

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I did! :D See first post on this page.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I see. That's fine, I'd forgotten about that roll. Also, it's more helpful if you say the post number rather than describing by page. I have my pagination set to 40 or 50 posts per page.

Brandon finds the thoul has mace, a loin cloth, and nothing else.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-07-29 at 10:33 PM.
    Forum Rules

16. - Top - End - #2146
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I see. That's fine, I'd forgotten about that roll. Also, it's more helpful if you say the post number rather than describing by page. I have my pagination set to 40 or 50 posts per page.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh, gotcha. ^_^
    ... We have post numbers? Huh. Never knew that before. >.<

Ash nods in reply, "Fine by me."
    "I have a suggestion for lugging those fellas around, by the way. Drag 'em... with a rope. No sense carrying them like precious carpets."
    "One of you guys could do that. The other could take rear guard while we all make the retreat. Then I could carry Alanna, and Mycah can carry Artanis. Talsarios, do you have any spells left? Also, can you can light the way? Alanna and I can go right behind you and one of the guys can go in front while they drag the crossbowmen."

Ash will re-don her armor and proceed to carefully lift Alanna over her shoulder while the others get things sorted out. She'll whisper to Alanna as she's doing this, "Sorry about all this. I really appreciate your - faith earlier. Anyways, don't worry. I'm sure this spell isn't permanent." From this close, Alanna can probably hear her breathing echo from within her helmet.

17. - Top - End - #2147

Alanna feels herself hefted by Ash's strong arms and wishes there was more she could do to help. Thinking back, she realizes she's the only one in the group who hasn't been actually injured. She feels the light sting of tears as she braces herself for whatever comes next.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #2148
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have one spell left today," Talsarios answers. "But as I said this morning, it'll be no use against the undead, and I should add that I doubt it'll defeat anyone as powerful in the arcane sciences as this necromancer."

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't find any point in the threads where I've stated what spells Talsarios has learned today.
    In the absence of contrary evidence, I'm going to say he's learned Sleep, twice.

In future, I'll try to remember to post (and update) his current spell list on the character sheet, so it's easy to find.

19. - Top - End - #2149
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

As Ash issues her orders to the party, Mycah will quickly agree and assume a guard post as requested. He worries about the skeletons returning, and doesn't think his bow will do much good, but thinks he can at least prevent the necromancer or any other living minions from sneaking up on the party.

As the clean-up continues, and the discussions about returning to the surface begin, he'll offer his two coppers.
    "I'm embarrassed to admit it, but honestly, I don't know how far I can carry Artanis. At least in that armor. Are you sure the spell won't wear off soon, Talsarios? Maybe we should wait just a little longer to see if they snap out of it."

"You know, I'm not too educated about this magic stuff, but if we leave, won't he have time to relearn all his spells, just like our casters will? Maybe we should press on and try to finish this while he's weak? We have the potions now, to help Nathros and Brandon..."
    He trails off under Ash's gaze, and waits to see what she says. After all, his last plan got them into this mess.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

20. - Top - End - #2150
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis remained oblivious to the conversation swirling about him as his thoughts on persueing the necromaner went unchecked in his mind.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2012-07-30 at 10:51 AM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

21. - Top - End - #2151
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash leans her other shoulder (that Alanna is not on) and a boot against the wall and frowns with consideration toward Mycah's words.

That's true. Those missiles and Artanis and Alanna being frozen - it could all happen again. If we press the attack though, we know those resources will no longer be at his disposal. And we've got more than we had before.
    The chances that the potions will actually help though... with the shape everyone's in - they'll probably only need to take only one really good hit before going down. Then instead of fighting, one of us will have to help them wake, then we'll be back where we started. *mental sigh*

Being a leader and making these kinds of decisions is really difficult.

That wand. I don't know what it was supposed to do, but that thoul certainly didn't make any use of it while we fought. Perhaps Talsarios is a more powerful caster - one knowledgeable enough to make use of it and change the tides enough for an advantage.

I suppose we could - try. But if we start to fall and have to try and run because the skeletons are after us again, then it'll be that much harder to make the retreat with our frozen friends. That'll be it. No going back. If we try to wait until these two can move again, I imagine the skeletons will be on our tail about the same time. But I don't really know if these spells last the same amount of time or not.

Errgh, if I just knew more!

Ash remembers to keep her voice low.

"Talsarios. Can you make use of that wand? Can you find out what it can do? And can you help Mycah carry Artanis maybe?
    Also, if we end up in confrontation today, it couldn't hurt to try your spell against the necromancer once he's shown us his play - once we know what he's planned and that he doesn't have any other living troops to send against us."

"For now, we must continue our retreat. We'll get the others as far from the necromancer and his minions as we can while in this cave. We'll send up the crossbowmen, then these two. If they wake, they can back us up. If we're attacked while retreating, we'll stand our ground."

"If they're chasing us, they'll probably thin their attack by traveling single file to follow. That'll give us the opportunity to keep them coming more one-at-a-time instead of all at once. Then we could surround them at an opening."
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-07-30 at 11:45 PM.

22. - Top - End - #2152

Alanna would rather wait until the paralysis wears off, but she's unable to sway the situation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #2153
    Ogre in the Playground

Alastor Talsarios

"I'm sorry chaps," the Thyatian says, "but the Sleep spell just will not work on someone who can cast the spells we've seen him cast. We shall be thankful of it when we're as tough as that."
    He looks at the elf and cleric. "I expect the paralysis will last a few more minutes, but it might be longer. I shan't become truly worried until an hour has passed without any sign of release. I should say that I doubt I'm strong enough to move one of these chaps by myself, but I shall certainly help. You know, I believe they're quite conscious of their surroundings at the moment, by the way," he smiles. "Hold on there fellows!"
    Now Talsarios holds out his hand to take the wand: "As for this wand, I will have to examine it closely - and maybe try it out... This could be dangerous."
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-07-31 at 02:39 AM. Reason: colour formatting

24. - Top - End - #2154
    Titan in the Playground

"Time is still on our side; a temporary withdrawal on our part will not give the necromancer enough time to replenish his magical abilities. It seems to me our best course of action is to convey our prisoners and loot to the surface, tend our wounds, and renew the pursuit."

25. - Top - End - #2155

RangerGuy

Mycah doesn't argue when Ash shoots down his suggestion, just looks at the heavily armored elf and sighs.
    "You know best, Lady Ashala. I just hope this spell wears off soon and they are OK. I suppose we should get headed back now?"

Putting his experience as a forester to work, Mycah will set to work arranging a system of ropes & harness to lower the prisoners and his immobile companions down off the ledge to the dungeon floor so they can begin transporting them to the surface as Ash directed.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

26. - Top - End - #2156
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash will begin leaving with her group, hopefully in the order she suggested. She'll try not to look too awkward while carrying Alanna.

To Talsarios, "If you have to test the wand on someone, how 'bout a crossbowman?"
    She'll shudder a little, "But - what if it's a wand to raise the dead?"

To Nathros, "I'll tend to agree. That does seem to be our best choice for now... You know, this just might work."

To Mycah, "I hope so too. I suppose they may be feeling a little stiff when they revive. But, you were mostly fine last time, weren't you? It's probably more frustrating than anything, I'll bet."

I wonder how the elf is holding up...

27. - Top - End - #2157

RangerGuy

Mycah nods, but shudders just a bit as he recalls the horrible feeling of having no control over his body, yet being fully aware of what was happening.
    "Maybe knowing it was a spell will make it easier for them. All I could think about was being slowly eaten by that horrible worm. I'm glad we killed it, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

28. - Top - End - #2158
    Ogre in the Playground

While he helps move the immobile forms of the prisoners and his allies, Talsarios says, "Until I have at least a guess as to it's function, I'll not be pointing this wand at anything."
    While he waits for the ropes to be rigged, the scholar looks the stick over. What clues to its function can I glean from its appearance? he wonders. Very few wands are marked with their command words.

29. - Top - End - #2159
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

While Artanis is paralysed, Bran takes off the elf's helmet and tries to find out for himself if his sister was correct when she told him at age 8 that elf ears are needle sharp. He pokes at Artanis' ear with his finger.

"Not that sharp at all."

30. - Top - End - #2160

Nothing returns from the necromancer's escape tunnel while the party prepares to exit. Nathros' search turns up nothing beyond the table, a chair, a dimming lamp. The captives and paralyzed allies can be born back to the ropes and waiting workmen in well under an hour. Artanis and Alanna remain paralyzed, and the crossbowmen remain asleep, at least until they are hoisted up, which jostles them awake. The workmen are started at reeling in a wriggling fish, but the recover quickly and toss the bound men off to one side.

Almost an hour after combat ended, Artanis and Alanna remain frozen in place.
    Forum Rules