New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 74 of 84 FirstFirst ... 24496465666768697071727374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #2191
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Talsarios sighs at the prisoners ravings.
    "Look chaps," he says, moving over to sit by the prisoners, and addressing the most vocal of them - but taking each of them in his gaze as he speaks, "you've been captured. You're going to hang for these crimes. That's the law round here, see - you've been working for a necromancer." He shakes his head sadly, as if thinking of the waste of human life.
    Then, brightly, he adds a more positive note: "You know, there are some people who aid necromancers and get to live after they've been caught - the ones who help catch the damned evil wizard!
    "You know, show the authorities or their agents where to find the the necromancer and his undead minions, or something helpful like that - yes, that sort of thing - well, any lawful agent of the authorities will work hard to get your punishment commuted for help like that!
    "If only you weren't all bound by the honour of thieves... It's a shame you're all going to die for these vile crimes, isn't it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Persuasion skill: (1d20)[3]
    DC = CHA = 10

2. - Top - End - #2192
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash agrees with Talsarios' approach and supports it by standing in fully donned armor a few paces behind.

She'll add, "Either way, we will win. If you were to give us some information, we may be able to capture the necromancer instead of killing them.
    "I could also speak to the lord on your behalf, should you offer us something useful. My word will hold sway with him."

With that, she'll nod and step back to an arm-folded position while the others add or do not add what they wish.

3. - Top - End - #2193
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looks a little dizzy as the healing energy flows into him, closing his wounds. Then he recovers from the vertigo and he beams with joy at Alanna

"Thank you! I feel much better."

He pokes at a wound and winces. "Ouch. Not completely cured, but better."

4. - Top - End - #2194
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Should anyone wander over to check on Mycah, he'll wave and call down.
    "No sign of trouble yet - just me and the birds up here. Any luck getting our prisoners to talk?"

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

5. - Top - End - #2195
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros reclines in the sunlight, considering the dangerous time that lie ahead and keeping a half wary eye out for any developing danger.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

6. - Top - End - #2196
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Well, that worked about as well as it could've. Guess I have the fortune of the Immortals wirh me today…"
    Alanna wipes her brow and frowns a little. I hate the feeling after I cast a spell. I feel drained. At least I can still turn undead.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #2197
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The prisoners laugh at the threats and and shake their heads, as if in disappointment, at the offers of leniency. "Look ya fancy lad, we're Fangs, see? We'll be sprung long before the gallows. You must be new 'round here, so let me give you a little friendly advice. Don't mess with the Fangs and don't go chasin' that spellslinger, Ederick. He's likely long gone by now - cowardly cur that he is. Nothin' we could tell ya but that he likes dead bodies, deals in the dark arts, and talks bigger than he is, but he pays pretty well for security work."

The other chimes in, "an' iffin' ya let us go now, and it'll likely go a lot easier on you."
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

8. - Top - End - #2198
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash contemplates stringing the prisoners up to a tree and using them for "target practice" to see if that would wipe their smug attitudes off their faces. But she decides against it as she thinks they'd just mock her for letting them get under her skin, also that her party may be less inclined to agree with her approach.

She'll sigh with a shake of her head, then offers one last threat, "Well, don't complain if we don't send enough guards to protect you on your way back and you 'happen' to get attack by a wild boar... I'm sure the guard who managed to get away will feel just terrible about the incident." As she explains, she'll start to tear some bandaging cloth to gag them with. If they don't reply quickly with a counter offer, she'll gag them so that no more ears will be forced to endure their rabble talk.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-08-08 at 08:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #2199
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, it's like that, is it? Damned scum, I should have known!" Talsarios literally spits: he is angry, and quite happy to show it. "Stuff sending them back - we don't need to make excuses for executing these criminals!"
    He holds up the captured wand, stuffing it in the faces of the prisoners with a scowl. "Your Last chance: what does this wand do? Hmm? Tell me, or I'll try it on each of you till I find out."
    His anger raised by the thugs' belligerence, Talsarios is clearly quite sincere about his threat.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-08-07 at 12:49 PM. Reason: cursed colour formatting again!

10. - Top - End - #2200
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash smirks behind her helmet, amused and agreeing with the method of approach Talsarios chose when dealing with their problems.
    If she had managed to gag the prisoners first, then she'll remove their gags now so they can speak as Talsarios points the wand at them.
    Then she'll stand back with her arms folded again while Talsarios intimidates them.

11. - Top - End - #2201
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros listens to the ongoing exchange, checking his war gear for damage that needs repairing.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

12. - Top - End - #2202

The pair seems somewhat more concerned that Ash might arrange their deaths out here. "Heh, and you call us evil. Harg might have a place for you in the Fangs, lass." Beyond that they seem to decide on shutting up rather than antagonizing her further.

At Talsarios' threat, they laugh uproariously, one of them choking out, "yeah, go for it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Note that Talsarios did make his check the first time and Ash the second time. It did help. For example, while they aren't willing to give in, they did give up some information despite themselves. But a good roll only effects the outcome, so when Tal threatens them with something that to them sounds silly (they know what the wand does it and it won't hurt them, so he seems foolish to them), they respond accordingly.
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #2203
    Ogre in the Playground

Without stopping to think, Talsarios aims the wand at the prisoner who invited him to "go for it", and wills the wand to work.

14. - Top - End - #2204
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros yells out a warning, "Whoah, no! Who knows what that wand is capable of? It could transform him into a dragon!"

15. - Top - End - #2205

Talsarios acts quickly in his anger, but again, the wand offers no obvious effect. The prisoners shake their heads, amused despite their being bound and gagged.
    Forum Rules

16. - Top - End - #2206
    Titan in the Playground

"Whew!" Nathros breathes a sigh of relief, "Probably a wand of dragon detection or something equally useless. What are you scum laughing about?" Nathros kicks the nearest in the belly. "If you think you are going to be rescued or get some sort of revenge, you can think again. You know the laws that govern matters out here, if you hinder us, then we cut your throats. Given that you belong to the Fangs, as you have freely and stupidly admitted, then it is no more than you deserve. Thieves, murderers, and rapists, but that is not the worst of what I have heard, and working for necromancers betrays the truth of it. Tell me, which one of you ladies fancies herself the hardest?"

17. - Top - End - #2207
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash listens interestedly, but quarks a brow when Nathros calls them "ladies" pejoratively.

18. - Top - End - #2208
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, who had been listening, finally decided that they were useless as his patience was wearing thin from hearing their haughty talk.

However, at the mention of a name he cooled his temper. He decided to use an indirect way of questioning the prisoners. He came behind the one who had spoken and put on his best jeering tone. Not hard for him to do due to his bitter nature.

Harg? Pfft. You expect him to recruit her? If so, he's as dumb as his name sounds. Probably exactly why when the odds were in your favor, you still lost. He probably got you off of the bottom of a mossy rock while you were slobbering drunk. He couldn't get a good hireling if he tripped over one.

He continued to laugh in scorn as even he believed the majority of what he was taunting them with.

The 'Fangs', he stressed this word dramatically, are probably some nut-job cult that's so tiny that they can't even afford to hand out rocks.

Spoiler
    Show
    This isn't my best skill by a long shot but hey it both fits my character and his Charisma definition of not likeable.
    Charisma DC 8: (1d20)[10]
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

19. - Top - End - #2209
    Ogre in the Playground

"Dammit!" Talsarios exclaims, and stuffs the wand roughly into his belt, turning away from the prisoners.
    He visibly makes an effort to control his anger, nostrils flared and breathing quickened. As the dwarf and elf brow-beat the prisoners further, he seems to settle down, not looking at the captured men.

When the ruckus of the interrogation lulls, Talsarios shakes his head and speaks to Ash.
    "Ashala," he says, tersely, facing the the lady, with his back to the prisoners - "they're not going to cooperate, and there's a real risk they'll be rescued by their cohorts. We should execute them now. It's the right thing to do."

This time, Talsarios is lying. He knows he's not skilled at deception, so he's careful to keep his voice neutral. He tips a wink to Ashala to let her see that he's bluffing.

20. - Top - End - #2210
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Since it's hard to see Ashala's face through her helmet, it's probably hard to recognize her expressions. She knows this and that's why she chooses to have her armor fully donned in camp when it comes to dealing with the prisoners.

Initially she'll be surprised when Talsarios makes the bluff at her, but when she sees his wink she'll roll her eyes slightly to herself at her own naiveté.

Then she grins to herself at her idea.

She'll nod like a soldier and follow his "instruction". She'll pick them both up by the the scruffs of their collars and lead them to the nearest (within fifty feet, I hope) tree and start wrapping them to it with her rope. They'll be tied face out. She'll take their gags out while she's there.
    She'll raise her bow on the way back to signal Brandon, Artanis, (and Mycah if he's come down for this at all) to prepare their bows and arrows. When she gets back to the rest of them, she'll line them up like the archers of an execution.
    She'll say one thing to them fairly quietly, but at a moment where she knows her voice would carry to their ears alone and not be missed. "Aim at the ground before their feet or overshoot at the tree."
    She'll take aim, then wait for everyone.

If she hears the prisoners protest, she'll continue this until she's got their bows aimed to show her resolution. She'll let them squirm a while. She'll also hope to not have to break that display and that someone would stop her at the appropriate time.
    If the prisoners make a decent protest and offer information, she'll stay their bows with a signal of her hand lowering toward the rest of them. Talsarios or someone could go hear what they have to say.

21. - Top - End - #2211

The two bear the physical punishment with naught but hard looks at the dwarf and they respond to Artanis though their gags with what seem to be threats.

They do seem increasingly concerned about they possibility that they might be executed on the spot. As the preparations proceed, they look nervously to one another, and they begin to protest. "That ain't right!" "That ain't the law!" and "We don't know anything!"

As the threat solidifies, they seem more pliable. "We don't know anything! Really. What can we tell you! Spare us and we'll tell you whatever."
    Forum Rules

22. - Top - End - #2212
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Before anyone quite needs to fire an arrow, Ash will lower her weapon and signal the others to do the same and to stay where they are as a standing threat.

She'll jerk her head to Talsarios to come hear what they have to say. She'll approach with him and keep her bow knocked as a reminder that things could quickly change back if they don't cooperate.

Behind the guard of her helmet, she smirks a little to herself.

To the prisoners her voice will sound firm and resolute, "Speak then. Tell us of your caves; more of Harg and his base of operations; of anywhere the necromancer would likely choose to withdraw to; what the wand does exactly and how to activate it; anything you think we might want to know about the mine or anything else you think might be relevant. - I'm sure you know something."

23. - Top - End - #2213
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

At Ash's signal, Mycah comes down from his perch to join the others. As darkness has not yet fallen, he realizes they probably still have some time before the necromancer and his pet fangs are willing to make any sort of retaliatory attack.

He plays along with the bluff, though he might well believe it to be real - who know how mad Ash is at this point. Still, he lowers his bow when she says to do so and stands withe others, arrow still to string, watching.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

24. - Top - End - #2214
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, who had nocked his bow in accordance with Ash's orders, only glanced at Ash and her sudden decision. He did not understand her decision to let them get off so easily. He lowered his bow... to aim at one of the prisoners' legs.

This won't kill him. However, it will make him think twice about his answers if I do bury my arrow into him.

He moved closer until he was only 10 feet away from the prisoners.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

25. - Top - End - #2215
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

If Ash notices Artanis closing in, she'll shoot him a look (her helmet suddenly directed at him with alarm) as though she wants him to stop immediately. Her bow is knocked, but aimed at the dirt/grass in front of her feet. She'll shake it a little to show him what she's referring to.
    She won't take her eyes off him for a moment until he stops what he's doing. She doesn't want to take the hope of living away from the prisoners... especially while they still likely have more information to impart.
    If he doesn't stop, she'll step between him and the prisoners and act like she's ignoring him.

26. - Top - End - #2216
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros sharpens his hand axe and mutters something about removing a finger for every lie he hears.

27. - Top - End - #2217

He responds with breathless urgency: "The caves, you've seen them all! That last passage was his escape tunnel. He's long gone by now, Ederick the mage, I mean. Long gone, back to the west, I'd wager. He came here to get a book and try a thing - making that thing, I guess."

The other pipes in: "We never been in that room before, don't really know much about the guy. Just hired to guard the tunnels and feed the magic worm-thing. Nothin' left but those skeletons now, though. No reason to kill a man over nothin'.

Recalling the rest of Ashala's questions, the first man adds: "The wand just finds pit trap and the like. And, uh, you don't find Harg, he finds you. Never met the man, myself, but that's the word."
    Forum Rules

28. - Top - End - #2218
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, seeing that they were cooperating to an extent, lowered his bow but kept alert.

So in that case, what exactly do people supposedly have to do to attract his attention and where does he recruit the majority of Ederick's forces? A seedy inn perhaps? A guild house? Street sides?

He looks at each prisoner as he lists the places that might possibly be the best spot to look for Harg.

Whatever their response he will ask them one final question while ignoring any attempts to intterupt his questioning.

Fine then. Who recruited each of you and where?
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

29. - Top - End - #2219
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon moves to the back of the prisoners so they cannot see how increasingly concerned he is by this talk of torture.

But as they start to talk, he looks relieved that the party won't be going against his Lawful principles.

"Do we know any Ederick the necromancer? He's got to be pretty powerful. Maybe someone knows about his evil exploits."

30. - Top - End - #2220
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know any Edericks," Talsarios says with a shrug.
    He turns to face the bound prisoners and smiles. "Thank you for your cooperation. Now, we need to send you down to Lord Bost's dungeons, and we need to be sure that he - and everyone else who needs to know - understands how well you helped us out here. We must keep our word, you see, and get you the mercy you deserve.
    "And of course, the criminals of this charming locale must be shown solid evidence that if they help the authorities, they will be treated mercifully - and your excellent examples will do well. We'll make sure all the guilds and bands of thieves in this land know all about how you sang to save your lives. I'm sure it'll only encourage other to do the same."