Page 78 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28536869707172737475767778798081828384 LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

  1. - Top - End - #2311
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Watching the elf searching the ground, Talsarios says "If you can't find any tracks, we can try asking around back in town, seeing what the church know... leaning on these Fang fellows, maybe... It must be hard for a necromancer to hide for long."

  2. - Top - End - #2312
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros uses his nature lore (hills) and tracking skills to find sign of the enemy.

    Spoiler
    Show

    If rolls are needed:

    Nature Lore (45%): (1d100)[50]
    Tracking (45%): (1d100)[71]

    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  3. - Top - End - #2313
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon examines the skulls of the skeletons. Whether or not he finds anything inside them, he carries them out of the cave into the sunlight using his cloak.

    "We need to bury these. Or light a pyre or something."

    "We really shouldn't have attacked the skeletons with our weapons. Should have just let Alanna keep them at bay, then thrown oil at them and lit them up. Much safer, no?"


    Since he has no shovel, Brandon starts collecting wood for a pyre while the others do their thing.

  4. - Top - End - #2314
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    ASHALA

    She nods at Talsarios' words. She'll also add, "We should make sure we've done a proper search of that last room there before we leave, now that the skeletons are dispatched."

    Ash will back up and make sure everyone can pass easily. She'll tail the group out, which ever way they go.

  5. - Top - End - #2315
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah, too, helps search for clues about which way the necromancer may have fled. Once the flames burn away the web, he'll venture out to the slope beyond, cautious of any lingering threats. If none are apparent, he scans for any tracks or traces as well.

    Spoiler
    Show

    The "eerily clean bones" were from the skeletons, correct? Not additional bones?

    Nature Lore (Forest): 10
    (1d20)[2]

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  6. - Top - End - #2316
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Artanis calms himself enough to focus on the tracks beyond the web. There they were, relatively clear in the soft hilltop earth, a single set of boot tracks. They fled away from the tunnel and down the hill out of sight.

    Once the web was cleared away by fire, the tracks could be followed, and Artanis, Nathros, and Mycah all lend their careful eyes to the effort. All came to about the same conclusion. The necromancer fled this way, leaving heavy tracks for a man his size, but those tracks stopped abruptly at the bottom of the hill.

    Brandon gathered up all the skeleton bones in his cloak and bears them easily over a shoulder.
    Fedoruman Roland by Chris the Pontifex

    Forum Rules

  7. - Top - End - #2317
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon asks the searchers, "So what have y'all found?"

  8. - Top - End - #2318
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Artanis' growing excitement at finding the tracks suddenly dissapears, to be replaced by anxiety and rage once again.

    "NoNoNoNoNo.NO! He has to have left some other clue!"

    He began to search for a mount's tracks or a trap door the necromancer could have escaped with.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Track DC 14: (1d20)[4]
    DM must make my 2 out of 6 roll to spot hidden doors... unless you want me to know.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    OoC Thread for my character/party treasure list: Undistributed Treasure List

    Dice:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]


    I Am A:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    STR.-11
    DEX.-15
    CON.-11
    INT.-15
    WIS.-13
    CHA.-13

    Personally I think my Strength and Constitution are a lot weaker than this... I'm too stubborn to give up.

    Current Avatar: Neo Granzon

  9. - Top - End - #2319
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Sorcerers. Maybe he grew wings and flew away."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  10. - Top - End - #2320
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Frustrated, Mycah turns back to the others to discuss what to do next.
    "My woodscraft is useless if he'd sprouted wings and taken to the sky. Back to town to start asking some questions there?"

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  11. - Top - End - #2321
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Maybe..." Talsarios looks pensively up into the sky, and scans the horizon around and about, muttering his musings, perhaps to himself.
    "You don't need wings to fly, of course... Or he could simply have travelled magically, without traversing the intervening space... But surely," he ponders, "if he could dimension jump, he'd have done that immediately, without bothering to flee outside? Yes... yes - that'd be more like it. So he must have flown, or levitated."

    Spoiler
    Show
    As Talsarios looks about, does he see anywhere that a person levitating from the spot where the tracks stop that could hide a levitating person?

  12. - Top - End - #2322
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon peers at the deep imprint of the necromancer's boot.

    "He's a heavy one, isn't he? Maybe he's fat."

  13. - Top - End - #2323
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    ASHALA

    "This wasn't our mission. We'll follow up on him after we've returned the prisoners and made our report. If we question people in town, we'll be more likely to gather a solid theory as to his whereabouts. As it is, this will be a wild goose chase with out any further clues."

    "Also, his tracks are deep cause he had a lot to carry, most likely.
    And, if he used magic to escape once more, perhaps he didn't want to risk being attack mid-spell-casting."

  14. - Top - End - #2324
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    As Talsarios searches the area above for signs of a levitating mage or place where one could hide, Nathros continues to apply his dwarven hill sense to the area.

    The area was hilly, increasingly so as one headed west away from town. Many of the larger hills likely house caves and caverns, though Nathros had no reason to expect anything as elaborate as this complex, much of which seemed man-made.

    Talsarious spied small trees and low, thin shrubs dotted the land, but nothing sufficiently dense to hide a person. Off in the distance, however, north and west, were thicker stands of trees. It'd be several hours to reach any of those, though.
    Fedoruman Roland by Chris the Pontifex

    Forum Rules

  15. - Top - End - #2325
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Should have pressed on after him when we had the chance, I suppose. Nothing to be done about it now, but let Lord Bost deal with the consequences."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  16. - Top - End - #2326
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "I say, gosh! No, no, Nathros - I think chasing him would have been quite fatal! That web could have been aimed at us, catching us fast, you see? Then the vile fellow could've just stood back and cackled at us while the skeletons jabbed us to death. I think it was wisest the retreat in our injured condition."
    It takes an attentive onlooker to notice that as he makes his point about retreat, Talsarios momentarily glances at Brandon, but looks away immediately, avoiding eye contact...

    He shrugs, and points at the sparse tree cover."Anyway... there's nowhere right here where he could have hidden, so I'm forced to imagine that he's long gone."
    Shaking his head, the scholar then turns to the elf with a solemn look. "Artanis, I will help you track the necromancer as best I can. It hurts my pride to think of the likes of him out there, sullying the good name of wizardry. However, I think our search should be restricted to rumours and rangers' reports for the moment. Let's get back to Threshold."

  17. - Top - End - #2327
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MeanMrsMustard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Alanna agrees with Talsarios.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

    Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show





  18. - Top - End - #2328
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Artanis looked up from his fruitless search, only giving Talsarios a tired glance. He stood slowly and trudged wearily back to the cave to retrieve Solahel from the skull that he had impaled.

    He pulled at his sword half-heartedly with his head and shoulders bowed as if he had lost his will to continue living.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    OoC Thread for my character/party treasure list: Undistributed Treasure List

    Dice:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]


    I Am A:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    STR.-11
    DEX.-15
    CON.-11
    INT.-15
    WIS.-13
    CHA.-13

    Personally I think my Strength and Constitution are a lot weaker than this... I'm too stubborn to give up.

    Current Avatar: Neo Granzon

  19. - Top - End - #2329
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros shrugs, "I am told that it is hard to cast a spell with a hand axe in your skull, but what is done is done and who can say how things might have turned out."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  20. - Top - End - #2330
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The surrounding hillside given a careful look over, nothing of note remained. The workmen are easily recalled from the initial cave, and the workers' camp is again cheerful at the party's return. They offer the comforts of the camp, as night approaches, but are understanding if the party wants to return to town.

    Three of the workers who braved the cave approach Brandon, asking the young fighter if he'd be interested in hiring them to assist with future adventures.
    Fedoruman Roland by Chris the Pontifex

    Forum Rules

  21. - Top - End - #2331
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon looks dumbstruck for a moment. Why were they asking him, the youngest son? He was just a teenager.

    Then he recovers and smiles reassuringly, meeting each man's eyes for a brief moment. "You're brave to ask to join us. We lead dangerous lives."

    "But it's not only my decision to make. Let me talk about it first with my colleagues, 'kay?"


    Then he makes a small go-away gesture, indicating a desire for privacy.

  22. - Top - End - #2332
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    ASHALA

    Ashala will be readying her things, the prisoners, and her companions for their stroll back to town. She'll also warn the workers that the necromancer got away, but he probably won't be bothering anyone here by the sounds of it.


    She'll pause and listen as Brandon initiates the conversation to sort out whether they should hire these fellows next time or not. She'll add at some point when everyone is putting their cents in, "I don't mind, so long as Lord Bost doesn't mind a few of his workers going missing a few days to a week at a time."

    When all is resolved, she re-assume her place at the back of the group. She'll wave her gauntlet as a good-bye and good luck to the people at the camp.

  23. - Top - End - #2333
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Artanis, who had come along back to camp, had immediatly set out for the hills that had led him to come to the cave's inhabitants, lost in his own mind and avoiding contact with anyone.

    He removed all of his equipment except his armor and Solahel. He then took up the first combat stance that his master had taught him.

    "He escaped because I couldn't stop him fast enough. I must start from the beginning, starting with my martial skills."

    As he began the slow, deliberate movements, he was reminded of simpler times where the only concerns he had were to train under his instructors in combat.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    OoC Thread for my character/party treasure list: Undistributed Treasure List

    Dice:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]


    I Am A:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    STR.-11
    DEX.-15
    CON.-11
    INT.-15
    WIS.-13
    CHA.-13

    Personally I think my Strength and Constitution are a lot weaker than this... I'm too stubborn to give up.

    Current Avatar: Neo Granzon

  24. - Top - End - #2334
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Artanis finds the hills quiet and natural, particularly as he drops out of sight of the camp.

    Late afternoon turns to twilight as the party returns to Threshold. The three workers follow along, hopeful that they will be granted employment by the young fighter and his companions.

    The lights of the small but booming town on the river have been lit by the time the party approaches the outskirts of town.
    Fedoruman Roland by Chris the Pontifex

    Forum Rules

  25. - Top - End - #2335
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Before the party departs, Bran goes to the camp boss and asks, "Those men want to accompany us on our journeys and work for us as we adventure."

    He points the three hopeful men out.

    "I need to tell me if they're good reliable men or if there are problems I should know about."

  26. - Top - End - #2336
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    ASHALA

    As they arrive back in Threshold, Ash explains the order of their tasks to the group in case there was any doubt, "Our first duty is to relieve ourselves of our prisoners to the guards. Then to relay our information on the caves to Lady Aleena. Then we must report to Lord Bost for followup on the prisoners and the escaped necromancer. After all that, we can get our rest for the night."

    After they drop off the prisoners on the way in with some guards (instructed to put them in the same dungeons as the others) and since she's still a little new to town, she'll just follow at the back as Brandon likely leads the group to the temple (a cleric would reside there or else someone there would know where to find her).

  27. - Top - End - #2337
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Tsunamiatunzen1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Artanis decided that, for now, it was in his best interests to follow the group as he had no extra provisions and he did not know the layout of the land.

    He pointedly kept his distance from the rest of the group, focusing on his magical gestures and incantations in order to hone them so that he might be better prepared for another encounter with the necromancer.

    During his repeated practices, if anyone bothered to come close enough to hear, he whispered repeatedly a phrase in elven to both console himself and to focus his mind on his current task.

    "Nielen sofema iltem veris zel heri iaa."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Never regret that you live in stern days."


    If anyone came to him and asked his opinion on what to do he simply asked their leave to concentrate on his spells and moved to a different marching order that kept himself away from speaking distance to the rest of the general group.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

    OoC Thread for my character/party treasure list: Undistributed Treasure List

    Dice:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]


    I Am A:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    STR.-11
    DEX.-15
    CON.-11
    INT.-15
    WIS.-13
    CHA.-13

    Personally I think my Strength and Constitution are a lot weaker than this... I'm too stubborn to give up.

    Current Avatar: Neo Granzon

  28. - Top - End - #2338
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MeanMrsMustard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    When Alanna sees Artanis by himself, her first impulse is to approach the elf and ask to chat. Don't be silly, he probably just wants to be left alone, she tells herself. After debating a few moments, she decides she will talk to him, if only for a moment to keep the disturbance to a minimum.
    She begins casually.
    "Hey, Artanis, sorry to interrupt, as I'm sure whatever you're doing is important, but I'd kinda like a couple moments alone. To chat about some… stuff. That OK with you?"
    Her words are friendly, but her tone indicates that she really would like to talk and will probably pester him until she's said what she feels she needs to.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

    Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show





  29. - Top - End - #2339
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon finds the camp boss willing to give up the men. The camp leader says that these workers, all of them, were just hired in town by the Baron and sent out here. They haven't had chance to do any real work yet, but the three you're asking about were all locals, seemed like decent guys, came ready to work, and obviously don't mind danger - "which is foolhardy, if you ask me, I mean at least you've got armor and a big sword."

    He asks that if you take them with you, that you have the town send out three more general workers, "maybe good with ropes and such."

    ---
    Artanis and Alanna have the opportunity to talk, away from the group, as everyone makes their way into town.

    ---
    West gate guards share looks of uncertainty and shift their gazes between each other, Ash, and Alanna before one of them speaks: "Yes, ma'am, we'll take them off your hands."

    ---
    Lady Aleena can be called upon at the temple in town. After only a brief wait, despite the evening hour, the lady appears. She's dressed in fine but casual attire that accentuates her statuesque beauty. Aleena listens to Ash's report with intense attention. She seems visibly saddened to hear the fate of the workers and is glad to hear that the caves are cleared and that work has resumed. She asks few questions, such as whether the dead were properly laid to rest, whether the necromancer was identified or poses any threat to the town, and who the elf lingering at the back of the group is. She offers any spiritual or healing aid the temple can provide, directing any takers to the priest on night watch. She bids them a good night with an appreciative and charming smile.

    ---
    Lord Bost can be found at his manor south of town, though the hour is very late by the time the party reaches his doorstep. A sound of loud music can be heard as the group approaches. Bost's house matron opens the door as they approach, apparently they'd been spotted well before their arrival. "C'mon young'ins' the Lord's having a bit of a carouse, but I'm sure he'll want to see you." She does an obvious headcount, scanning the faces of each arrival, and adds: "I see you've not lost anyone and managed to find yourselves an elf along the way." She adds in a conspiratorial tone, "I was a bit worried about ya, to be honest."

    The Lord himself can be spotted even from the doorway, lounging in his great hall and waving an oversized mug.
    Fedoruman Roland by Chris the Pontifex

    Forum Rules

  30. - Top - End - #2340
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Alastor Talsarios dithers about, at first wanting to talk with Artanis, then letting Alanna take on the task.
    He keeps clear of Brandon and his retainers for the walk back to town, and generally appears to become increasingly downcast and morose by the time the adventurers arrive at the West Gate.

    However, something about the discussion with Lady Aleena seems to set him right again, and by the time the group makes it to Lord Bost's manor, he seems keen and eager to work on chasing the necromancer, making bold pronouncements and plans with any of the group who pay even momentary attention, and apparently welcoming the news that a party is in full swing tonight.
    "Splendid! A feast!" he says as they enter the hall.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •