New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 79 of 84 FirstFirst ... 295469707172737475767778798081828384 LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #2341
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Nathros says to Ashala, "I do not think it is a good idea to hand over the prisoners to the gate guards. Let us deliver them to Lord Bost."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

2. - Top - End - #2342
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash will shrug and reply to Nathros, "I was merely considering that perhaps we aught not offer the layout of our lord's home to convicts who could potentially escape and seek revenge. I'm sure these fellows can figure out what to do with them well enough."

They can meet with Aleena first as originally stated. Then head to Bost's Manor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone seems to be doing things that way anyways.

Ash will bow her head with respect to the house matron as she welcomes them.
    She'll wait with the group until Lord Bost is ready for the report. If it's more proper, she'll follow him and speak to him one-on-one to give her report, rather than sullying the mood of the party.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-09-05 at 10:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #2343
    Ogre in the Playground

As Alanna spoke, he began to brush her off. However, after hearing the tone in her voice, he decided that now was the best time to solve any problems that may have arisen.

He gave a mental sigh of exasperation before he replied.
    "What is thy grievance? If it is for sociable reasons then I must bid you to leave me to my training."
    He had attempted to make his words gracious but all he could manage was creating a cold impression.

__________________________________________________ ___________

When Artanis was mentioned as 'an elf'. He glowered slightly before pulling out his spell-book and reading the familiar words that he had written as his own personal record and kept to himself.

"They seem to speak of me as some animal that they've brought back for their enjoyment! Even back in my humble home town they had the decency not to refer to someone in such a rude manner!"

When Talsarios made his boasts about the necromancer, Artanis grabbed his shoulder and turned Talsarios to face him.

"And how do you plan on backing this claim scholar? The necromancer is gone. The next best way to find him again is through the Fangs."

Upon saying these words he looked around to see if anyone had reacted to the name of the Fangs. He then turned back to Talsarios.

"If you wish to make plans about his eventual capture, think of each step, don't boast, and under no circumstances are you to talk about your plans unless you wish them to be heard by unfriendly ears."

With that he turned Talsarios back to his original position and moved to a less active corner of the party.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

4. - Top - End - #2344
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Brandon finds the camp boss willing to give up the men. The camp leader says that these workers, all of them, were just hired in town by the Baron and sent out here. They haven't had chance to do any real work yet, but the three you're asking about were all locals, seemed like decent guys, came ready to work, and obviously don't mind danger - "which is foolhardy, if you ask me, I mean at least you've got armor and a big sword."

He asks that if you take them with you, that you have the town send out three more general workers, "maybe good with ropes and such."

Brandon Bor

Bran nods. "Thanks for your help. I'll do as you say, once I see Lord Bost or some other authority."

Bran seems relaxed now about taking on the three volunteers to be the party's hirelings for their adventures.

Lady Aleena can be called upon at the temple in town. After only a brief wait, despite the evening hour, the lady appears. She's dressed in fine but casual attire that accentuates her statuesque beauty. Aleena listens to Ash's report with intense attention. She seems visibly saddened to hear the fate of the workers and is glad to hear that the caves are cleared and that work has resumed. She asks few questions, such as whether the dead were properly laid to rest, whether the necromancer was identified or poses any threat to the town, and who the elf lingering at the back of the group is. She offers any spiritual or healing aid the temple can provide, directing any takers to the priest on night watch. She bids them a good night with an appreciative and charming smile.
    Bran says that the dead they found were indeed laid to rest, whether burned or buried as the case may be.

He adds that even the undead made from humans were laid to rest the same way, but he didn't think to give the same treatment to the undead thoul.

"We mostly used fire, since fire purifies and we really didn't want the dead to come back a second or third time."

Lord Bost can be found at his manor south of town, though the hour is very late by the time the party reaches his doorstep. A sound of loud music can be heard as the group approaches. Bost's house matron opens the door as they approach, apparently they'd been spotted well before their arrival. "C'mon young'ins' the Lord's having a bit of a carouse, but I'm sure he'll want to see you." She does an obvious headcount, scanning the faces of each arrival, and adds: "I see you've not lost anyone and managed to find yourselves an elf along the way." She adds in a conspiratorial tone, "I was a bit worried about ya, to be honest."

The Lord himself can be spotted even from the doorway, lounging in his great hall and waving an oversized mug.

Bran smiles at the matron's words and goes forward with the rest of the party to address their Lord Bost. He seems content to let Ashala do the talking, as she is the highest ranking party member.

5. - Top - End - #2345
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Once it is clear that the majority of the party seems content to follow Ash's lead, Mycah relaxes. As their group has grown due to hirelings and now prisoners, he's felt increasingly uncomfortable and unsure, so he's more than glad to let her give the orders.

He remains quiet during the hike back to town and breathes a small sigh of relief when they arrive without incident and hand over the prisoners to the guardsmen. Lady Aleena's charms and concern do help his mood and he finally forces himself to relax and enjoy the rare trip into town.
    "Hey Brandon, do you think we'll have time to buy some supplies tomorrow? Now that we have some money, I'd like to pick up a few supplies and maybe even some better armor. Not that iron suit you've got, but something better than this."

At Lord Bost's manor, the discomfort returns at the sight and sounds of the party but he tells himself to grow up and stop thinking like a county bumpkin.
    As the others begin to mingle and Ash goes to report to Bost, Mycah scans the room, looking for anyone he may know from camp. If possible, he'll try to work mention of their latest adventure into the conversation and see if anyone knows any more about the Fangs.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

6. - Top - End - #2346
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran nods to Mycah.

"Of course. Need to pick up more arrows. I used a lot when I was the rear guard."

"And maybe see what the prices for magic items are, if we can find any for sale."

7. - Top - End - #2347
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios, apparently distressed by Artanis's manhandling, open his mouth to speak, but seems lost for words. With a hasty glance about at the rest of the group, he picks up his pack and leaves the room in a red-faced rush.

8. - Top - End - #2348
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The matron ushers the party into the room, crossing with Ash to announce their arrive to the Lord. "M'lord, your...rangers...have returned." She bows and hurries away.

Various people stand about in small groups, chatting. Many seem to share the lord's northern heritage, but there are also others of a different background. The generous sideboard of food sits against one wall and several kegs have been tapped, their contents identified by writings on each.

Lord Bost welcomes the group back and bids them to enjoy the gathering. He waves for any who want to sit and speak with him, particularly Ash, who he knows will be eager to report in. "Please join us, this is Johann," he says gesturing to the blond-haired man to his right, "a friend from the old country, and Merlinda, our local enchantress," he says with an impish grin.

"My niece, Ashala, and her merry band,"
    he says by way of return introduction that covers the entire group, regardless of who sits and who does not.

The lord is quite interested in the tale, and he and his guest interject questions about the adventure. After the tale has reached its conclusion, Lord Bost discreetly makes payment to Ash for distribution to everyone who set out with her.

He urges everyone to enjoy the gathering, and, as usual, says he will be in touch if there is anything else to be done.

Spoiler
    Show
    You are welcome to remain here and interact with Bost and his guest, disperse to your own devices, or perhaps have that treasure distributing meeting.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

9. - Top - End - #2349
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

If there is anything large that reflects like a mirror in the room, Ash will walk slowly by that while taking off her helmet before she bows and sits near her uncle to report. She's a little nervous about helmet-hair. She'll tuck down any strays as discreetly as possible. Anyone watching her steadily would notice this, however.

As she moves her chair to take a seat, she'll look over Johann and see if she remembers him at all from her weapon training or anything else during her days back home. Then she'll turn to address her uncle and make her report which would be told in chronological order. She won't forget to mention the prisoners' cooperation and that their cooperation should be considered when their sentence is being chosen. She'll also recommend that instances like this could likely be avoided better in the future if she and her "merry band" were to seek out and disperse the Fang-gang by stopping their leader, also by tracking down that necromancer.

Ash will take note of the harmonious imbalance between Talsarios and Artanis while she speaks to the lord. She'll frown, but still continue her report.

Ash will answer any questions as best she can, offering any of her comrades to answer in lieu of herself if they have an eager expression and would have greater knowledge on the subject. She knows that some people require assurances and recognition for their accomplishments, just as she does when she knows she's done well.

She will graciously accept the payment and make sure to distribute the wealth evenly between each of her companions at least five minutes after receiving it so as not to seem too eager. It's possible some of her allies may be quite eager to have their reward and leave.

If anyone at the table or near by wants to speak with Ash with specifics, she'll be polite and genuinely interested in what people her uncle has gathered. Perhaps she'll manage to make a helpful contact out of a couple of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't mind role-playing that in better detail if something is going on. Also, she'll be keeping an eye/ear out for anyone who asks questions about the prisoners or "how much we know"... things like that - in case they are spying or have other ulterior motives (like Artanis does for revenge, for example).

Perception to notice discord or when her companions enter/leave.
    DC13: (1d20)[4]

10. - Top - End - #2350
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna tries to address Artanis gently and firmly. "No, this isn't a social visit, though I would like this to be as friendly as possible… you see, earlier in the cave, you acted like you were trying to protect me, and although I appreciate your concern for my safety, I'd like to make sure you know that I'm a big girl, and I can take care of myself. I've got good weapons and armor, and I'm tougher than I look. It's probably wise to not assume that because someone's young, or a girl, or babyfaced, they must be weak!" She laughs and thumps him on the shoulder. If he has any response, she listens politely and says, "Well, thanks for bein' understanding! Have fun studying, and seeya 'round!" and skips off.
    ~~~
    Alanna treats the meeting a bit more casually than she probably should. After the talking is through and they're free to mingle, she addresses Lord Bost. "Thanks for providing the opportunity to do work with these fine adventurers! It's certainly been an honor! I hope that the next time you need something done, you call us…"
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #2351
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrsMustard View Post
    Alanna tries to address Artanis gently and firmly. "No, this isn't a social visit, though I would like this to be as friendly as possible… you see, earlier in the cave, you acted like you were trying to protect me, and although I appreciate your concern for my safety, I'd like to make sure you know that I'm a big girl, and I can take care of myself. I've got good weapons and armor, and I'm tougher than I look. It's probably wise to not assume that because someone's young, or a girl, or babyfaced, they must be weak!" She laughs and thumps him on the shoulder. If he has any response, she listens politely and says, "Well, thanks for bein' understanding! Have fun studying, and seeya 'round!" and skips off.
    Artanis tilted his head slightly and slowly nodded once as he closed his eyes.

He opened his eyes and replied slowly, gaurding his words.
    "I shall take your grievances into account the next time danger lurks."

As she skips off he resumes practicing his magical gestures. His mind began to wander back to his nightmares and he caught himself before he accidentally set off his last spell.
    He sighed and put off his practice until his mind had cleared from this last encounter.

He began to speak to himself, tired of how his mind made his words so fleeting.

"If only it were so easy to do as you say..."
    He saw the death of his comrade, Tassadar, from his nightmares and looked at the rest of the group.
    "If only you all understood my fear of this nightmare. How it has grown to become more than it should."
    He remembered the horrible wounds that everyone had recieved against the thoul.
    "My death would be of little consequence. Any of yours, on the other hand, would simply drive me to the brink. No, I cannot easily do as you ask until this nightmare has been laid to rest... one way or another."

Artanis looked after the fleeing Talsarios and sighed,
    "What a fine situation. I have angered not one, but two of my comrades today."

He blinked as he realized what he had just said.
    Comrades? Why... why must I become attached to them now? Attachments bring pain...
    Another part of his mind responded:
    But they can bring you comfort.

He merely sighed again and grabbed a loaf of bread and a wedge of cheese as he followed Talsarios, determined to make things right.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2012-09-05 at 07:48 PM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

12. - Top - End - #2352
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros replies to Ashalta on the subject of the prisoners that "These are dangerous men belonging to a guild of thieves and murderers, they need special watching. As far as I know, there is little of Lord Bost's hold they could learn from being delivered before him than at any other time he metes out justice. It is foolish to be so incautious after we we risked so much to capture them. Revenge will be foremost on their minds if they get loose."

As to the rest, Nathros lets the others deal with Lord Bost; he intends to find out more about this guild of thieves in town, if possible. Perhaps some of his drinking companions know a thing or two, enough to point him in the right direction at least.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2012-09-06 at 04:57 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

13. - Top - End - #2353

Ashala doesn't recognize either of the people her uncle introduced, but somehow the countryman seems familiar. Her uncle is quick to return to his conversation with them and Ash immediately finds herself approached by a couple fellow northerners looking to ask her about how things are back home. Hakon and Ilsleif introduce themselves with respect and explain that they haven't been back for sometime. They wondered if she was headed home anytime soon, as they had messages for those left behind. As she speaks with them, she notices in her peripheral vision Talsarios leave abruptly and Artanis quickly after him.

---
    Nathros finds many willing drinking companions at Bost's gathering and, of course, some at his usual lodging in town. They mention the Fangs are a relatively new group of thugs in town. Loyal, mercenary, and well-organized in that small groups tend not to know who the other Fangs are, and each pair or group seems to be sent out on discrete missions. "Pretty good thinkin' for thugs to take orders and get paid in advance, eh? Rather than shakin' people down for pocket change."

---
    Lord Bost thanks Alanna again and adds, "I'm glad to hear that. Fine work out there. Give my regards to Lady Aleena."

---
    Mycah spies one of the camp leaders, known to be an old friend of the lord's. Harn greets Mycah warmly. He is glad to hear of Mycah's adventure and success. He seems almost proud of the young man. "Oh, the Fangs? They're bad news. Thugs for hire. What I heard is that most of them don't know who the other Fangs are, so it's hard to catch more than a couple at at time. And the head guy just goes and hires replacements. I don't know how he does it or how he gets them to be so loyal. Give those guys a wide berth."

---
    Brandon finds himself garnering some attention from some of the younger women at the party. They seem eager to hear about the battles he's been in. They also share the days' big news: the disappearance of a town councilman's daughter, Marie Takish. Someone offers that she's probably just shacked up with a beaux in Fogor Isle. The society folk in town are atwitter at the scandal.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-09-06 at 10:44 PM.
    Forum Rules

14. - Top - End - #2354
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, now outside, searched for the scholar.

"Find a group you get attached to and insult them... that will definitely make for a fine bonding moment."

If Talsarios had hidden himself deliberately he began to track him down as he would any other quarry. However, this time it was not to kill, it was to befriend.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tracking DC 14: (1d20)[17]
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

15. - Top - End - #2355

A lone scholar-mage wandering off in the moonlight was obvious to see, even with the slight delay by the elf in following him. Talsarios had made it to the trail heading back into town. He could be caught easily, if Artanis ran after him.
    Forum Rules

16. - Top - End - #2356
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Ash will indulge Hakon and Ilsleif with what information she can about how things are doing where she's from.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If they ask specifics, most of her detailed information would surround weapons training, the local shops, the stables, the temple she learned bandaging at, some of the nobles and their more obvious current status (no shady secrets or anything like that), and any celebrations or large meetings that were called before her departure.
    By the end, she'll bow her head a little with apologies that she hadn't been following the gossip before she left. She'll also explain that she cannot offer to take back their messages at this time because the date of her return is yet undetermined. She still has a few loose ends to tie while she's here. However, she'll add that she'll be glad to deliver their words or letters personally if she goes back soon enough to be of help.

After that (unless they insist on speaking with her further), she will excuse herself so that she may discreetly pass on the payment from her uncle to each of her comrades save Artanis.

She'll separate 50g into a pouch/pocket of hers, then proceed to scan the crowd.

She'll go to Mycah first as his conversation interests her and she's seen him look uncomfortable in an atmosphere like this before. She'll listen next to them as she waits politely for them to finish their exchange. She'll offer her hand to shake Harn's while exchanging introductions, then she'll ask to borrow Mycah a moment.
    She'll give him the coin bag and ask, "Mind distributing the rest to everyone else for me? Artanis and Talsarios might be arguing about something outside so I'm going to check it out and make sure it doesn't turn into something serious. I'll give Talsarios his share and there wasn't any aside for Artanis, of course. Anyways, this'll give you something to do if you get bored."
    Then she'll wink with an easygoing smile, though she had to force it out. She's tired, but she's tried to keep her mingle-warrior face on whenever interacting with anyone during this party.

Next she'll head out to give Talsarios his share of the reward money.

17. - Top - End - #2357
    Titan in the Playground

Having called on Lord Bost long enough to imbibe a few drinks and get paid, Nathros enjoys a bit of carousing in town with his drinking fellows and is keenly attentive to what they have to say about the "Fangs". After a few hours he takes his leave and heads for the prison (or what passes for it) to assure himself that things are being handled appropriately. If Mycah is around, he suggests that they go together, "Two swords are better than one and all that."

18. - Top - End - #2358
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis wasted no time in running after Talsarios in order to make amends.

I just hope that he'll like the fact that I only brought bread and cheese as a peace offering.

He didn't heed the relentless clanking of his plate mail as he rushed to reach his objective.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

19. - Top - End - #2359
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon finds himself garnering some attention from some of the younger women at the party. They seem eager to hear about the battles he's been in. They also share the days' big news: the disappearance of a town councilman's daughter, Marie Takish. Someone offers that she's probably just shacked up with a beaux in Fogor Isle. The society folk in town are atwitter at the scandal.
    Brandon Bor

Bran grins a lot at meeting and talking to so many girls; he'd never gotten much attention as the youngest son of Boris Bor.

Since he is Lawful, Bran doesn't embellish his stories of adventure; in fact he doesn't mention the tentacled worm for fear of horrifying them too much. He displays some (but not nearly all) of his battle scars.

He dances some and privately pushes a lot of gold on his mom with a kiss on her cheek. He buys gifts for his parents and his brothers and sisters, all in all taking up a third of his total gold.

OOC Accounting
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll remove a third of Bran's total money from his sheet as soon as I figure out what the total is.

He passes on some gossip to his party mates: "Hey, Marie Takish is disappeared. I think my brother Simon dated her for a bit."

"Everyone says she ran off with her boyfriend. I bet her dad is furious; he's a town councilman."

20. - Top - End - #2360
    Ogre in the Playground

Alastor stops, hearing the approach of armoured feet. He hasn't gone far - Artanis catches up with him on the road just outside the manor house. When the Thyatian sees the elf, he sags a little, drooping his shoulders and looking at the ground.
    "What have I done now?" he asks, barely looking up.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-09-09 at 06:58 AM. Reason: continuity

21. - Top - End - #2361
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, thoroughly winded due to exerting himself whilst in heavy armor, held up his index finger to indicate that he needed a little time.

He then tried to regain his composure and offered the bread and the cheese to Talsarios.

"I... know that you just wanted to enjoy yourself... I was just concerned... and I'm a bit out of touch with society... here have this."

Whether he takes it or not he continued.

"I hope that we can come to understand each other soon."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

22. - Top - End - #2362

The following morning, Brandon's mother directs Brandon and Mycah to places in town that are reliable. The Bor name will get the pair fair deals and friendly treatment. She points out the slingshot and 3 very old, well-made daggers and notes, "those are magical." As she watches the two young men assemble the goods, she spies the red gem. "May I borrow that for a day, boys? I'll see that you get fair value for it."

The valuable* non-magical weapons & miscellaneous items can be sold for 250 gp and the junk offloaded as well.

A couple coppers to a street urchin gets Brandon the location of the traveling apothecary his mom spoke of. The apothecary says that the dried berries in the tiny pouch is are juniper berries, a spice that is not local to this region. He thinks they are valuable, given their rarity, but has no idea what an interested party might pay. He offers to search out a buyer for you for 1/3 of whatever he can get them to pay.

When shown the two potions, the gray potion and the vial of cloudy liquid, he tells you that you can determine a potion's use by tasting it, though you might suffer any ill-effects, such as poison or a curse. He will buy them both for you for 50 gp, as unknowns.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stuff the merchants aren't interested in paying for, which you can consider junked unless you actually want it for anything:

poor dagger
    3 poor swords
    Wickless oil flask
    glowing bug organ (Nathros' helmet) (not glowing anymore)
    iron key (goblin keep)
    pair of wooden dice
    lantern
    loin cloth
    sack of small rocks

---
    Ash has a room in the manor and another at the lumber camp, either of which she can stay in for the night. By prior agreement, the group is set to meet the next day at the Bor farm to divide the spoils. {dm retro-railroady action}

After a good-night's rest and a little reflection, everyone involved feels more confident in their abilities.
    Spoiler
    Show
    +1750 XP for Artanis
    +3000 XP for everyone else
    Also, don't forget to calculate your % bonus from high prime requisites, if any, and your XP for gps (only the gps your character, individually, realizes).

Note: weapon training or spell acquisition or other similar skills development takes at least minimal RP and downtime.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-09-08 at 06:08 PM.
    Forum Rules

23. - Top - End - #2363
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, after talking to Talsarios, decided to inquire about lodgings.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

24. - Top - End - #2364
    Ogre in the Playground

Eating the cheese and thinking things through, Alastor returned to the revelry feeling a little better with some food in him. He hadn't realised how hungry and tired he'd been. He sheepishly apologised to Ash for running out, and did his best to be sociable with what was left of the night.
    After the party dispersed, the Thyatian made for town, got himself a room and a bath, and enquired about laundry.
    So it is that, when he makes enquiries in the morning about the whereabouts of local wizards who might be seeking an apprentice, or to sponsor a travelling scholar, Talsarios is looking meticulously clean and well-groomed, and his air of confidence has returned.

Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios is looking to find a local patron in the magic arts, to do away with the need to send letters back to the Old Country to get new spells.
    Accounting:
    Deducted 2gp from character sheet - my estimated cost of room, bath and laundry.
    Roll for HP: (1d4-1)[3]
    Updated character sheet with new XP and level.

25. - Top - End - #2365
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

The following morning, Brandon's mother directs Brandon and Mycah to places in town that are reliable. The Bor name will get the pair fair deals and friendly treatment. She points out the slingshot and 3 very old, well-made daggers and notes, "those are magical." As she watches the two young men assemble the goods, she spies the red gem. "May I borrow that for a day, boys? I'll see that you get fair value for it."

The valuable* non-magical weapons & miscellaneous items can be sold for 250 gp and the junk offloaded as well.
    Brandon Bor

Brandon hands his mother the red gem. "Of course, and thank you."

"I might not have enough money to buy one of those magical weapons on my own. If so, I'll have to talk to the others about pooling our resources. It'll be expensive but worth it."

Bran goes over to the shopkeeper, points at the old and well-made daggers and the sling, and asks, "How much, please?"

A couple coppers to a street urchin gets Brandon the location of the traveling apothecary his mom spoke of. The apothecary says that the dried berries in the tiny pouch is are juniper berries, a spice that is not local to this region. He thinks they are valuable, given their rarity, but has no idea what an interested party might pay. He offers to search out a buyer for you for 1/3 of whatever he can get them to pay.

When shown the two potions, the gray potion and the vial of cloudy liquid, he tells you that you can determine a potion's use by tasting it, though you might suffer any ill-effects, such as poison or a curse. He will buy them both for you for 50 gp, as unknowns.
    Brandon accepts the apothecary's offer to help the party find buyers for the juniper berries.

Upon being offered 50 gp for the two strange potions, Bran asks Mycah, "I say we take the offer. What do you think?"

26. - Top - End - #2366
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

Last night:
    Ash made sure to give Talsarios his 50g reward money while trying not to impose on the conversation between Artanis and him until they were finished their discussion.
    To Artanis, she'd remind him of the meeting at the Bor's farm in case he wants to stick with the group for some independent follow up work. (If he doesn't know where to go, neither does she. They could ask either Talsarios or someone on the street in the morning.)

When Talsarios apologized back at the party, she'd nod and pat him on the back with her gauntlet while saying, "Nothing to apologize for, my friend. See you in the morrow." Then she'd smile and say her goodbyes to whichever party guests it seemed appropriate.

Today:
    She was completely exhausted last night, so she had not the energy to refuse a safe soft warm bed at the manor. When she woke, she felt refreshed and energized to meet the day, like the days at the mine caves were a distant memory as though a dream.

Instead of donning her armor as usual, she'll take a bath, and debate with herself over putting on some informal "Noble's robes" for the day. I'm not so unfamiliar with these... but will they look at me differently? Like when they hear, "Lady Ashala," ... they seem to think I'm so different from them just cause my last name is "important". *sigh* But what else do I have? These are comfortable, after all. But - then I'll just look weak like I need protecting or something. - Maybe I will, without my armor. She looks in the mirror, frustrated with her own indecision.
    The garments she chose from the closet are a nice shade of green and gold, bringing out the color in her hair and eyes.
    She frowns with a pout. "I guess I'll just have to wear my mask that is my face for armor today,"she concludes.

Ash will be grateful for her uncle's hospitality to her and her comrades last night and, on her way out, she'll kiss him on the cheek (no need to stand on ceremony this morning).

She knows it'll probably take a while for everyone to gather, so she'll go to the blacksmith's and see if she can leave her armor with them to repair for her (for a fee of course). If it'll take more than two days, she'll contemplate borrowing some armor or buying a new set if they have it, but for now she'd prefer to have them repair the armor she already has.

Then she'll visit Aleena's temple and make a donation of 25g. If she finds Alanna there then they can walk to the Bor's farm together.

27. - Top - End - #2367
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    ASHALA

Last night:
    Ash made sure to give Talsarios his 50g reward money while trying not to impose on the conversation between Artanis and him until they were finished their discussion.
    To Artanis, she'd remind him of the meeting at the Bor's farm in case he wants to stick with the group for some independent follow up work. (If he doesn't know where to go, neither does she. They could ask either Talsarios or someone on the street in the morning.)
    Yesterday:
    Artanis merely nodded and continued on to inquire about lodgings, unaware of the weapons ban.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

28. - Top - End - #2368
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna accepts her 50 gold graciously.
    ~~
    When she gets up in the morning after prayers, she excitedly tells the others she can cast two spells a day now. "Now we've got more healing!
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #2369
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

By the time Ash makes it to the temple, Alanna (if she was staying there) must have left already, Ash concludes. She'll head out to look for the Bor's farm. She'll try to remember the directions she was given last night or else she'll ask someone in town what the best way to get there is. She's careful to make sure her mannerisms suggest it's a "business" meeting rather than allow herself to get teased as a potential love interest for him.

I liked it better when I had intimidating armor, she sulks to herself.

She'll likely arrive around 10:30am.

30. - Top - End - #2370

Artanis finds the sword on his back to be less of a problem than he thought. He finds a suitable lodging for the night near the quiet market square.

---
    Talsarios' inquiries lead to a pair of suggestions, Merlinda the Enchantress who lives in a tower just outside of town to the northwest, and a man known as Alx who lives down by the docks. Clear directions can be obtained for either location. Alx has a reputation for being mercenary and somewhat secretive about his wizardly services, though he does have apprentices. Merlinda. on the other hand, is known for being a socialite with many fans and admirers, and while she is clearly a mage of some sort, the townsfolk are at a loss to say just what kind of powers she may posses. Though she was deep in conversation with Lord Bost and his other guest, Talsarios will recall having seen the woman at the party last night.

---
    Ash can have her armor repaired quickly and cheaply, and she is fortunate to find Alanna excitedly celebrating her new power.

---
    Brandon and Mycah, who spend the morning traveling all over town, occasionally hear comments whispered or spoken just barely within earshot about "Bost's Rangers." Apparently, word of their deeds has spread through town.

The weaponsmith shakes his head ruefully at Brandon's request, "I'd give you 1000 gold for the lot, but I suspect they're more useful to you than gold, if'n they ain't cursed. These three," he says pointing to the daggers, "are old enough to be art, and intricate work it is too. Y'might want to hold on to them."
    Forum Rules