New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 84 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #211
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Brandon swings wide, his angle to hit the kobold and not his friend was not such a good one. Sid wrestles the kobold to the ground, it yelps, "hey, stop" and something that is probably a curse. It squirms and kicks but finds itself at a real disadvantage against the human. It claws and kicks to no effect.

Nathos spots no further trouble.

Spoiler
    Show

The kobold isn't quite subdued.
    Initiative: PCs - (1d6)[1] foe - (1d6)[2]
    He wins Init but misses with his attacks (so described above)
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-11-11 at 08:33 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looked confused over what to do with the kobold, but he showed no inclination to get down in the dirt to wrestle with something as small as a small child.

He complained to Sid, "Can't you handle something that small on your own?"

Then he aimed a kick at the thing's midsection.

Spoiler
    Show

Brandon is trying to kick the kobold into submission. I do not have the rules for unarmed attacks or wrestling in my book (or I have not found the page yet), so I leave it to Roland to roll damage (or whatever) for this.

Attack: (1d20+1)[17]
    Thac0: 19

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid grunted and growled with annoyance at being stuck with the kobold. When Brandon kicked at it, he shouted, "Yeah! And there'll be more of the same, if you don't calm down! Somebody, get some rope!"

O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope. Thac0: 19

More grapply moves, then? (1d20+9)[12], (1d20+9)[17], and (1d20+9)[13]
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros approaches the kobold if it is not yet restrained and attempts to threaten it into surrendering with his sword.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #215

Brandon's kick catches the little kobold in the chest stunning him briefly. Sid manages to use the pause to pin the little creature, with a knee in its chest and both arms restrained. It seemed reduced to grunting now but was not full accepting of these circumstances.
    Forum Rules

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon took his rope out of his pack, knelt, and inexpertly tried to tie up the kobold securely enough so that it stops struggling.

"Hold still, you little varmint."

Spoiler
    Show
    I have rope 50 feet in my equipment list. No Rope Use skill, though, if that matters.

7. - Top - End - #217

Sid manages to hold the kobold relatively still and Brandon binds the little guy in a fair knot.

"No kill! No kill!" it cries and seems to give up the fight.
    Forum Rules

8. - Top - End - #218

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid heaved himself off of the kobold and, while he dusted himself off, he eyed the others, to see how likely they were to try killing the thing again. He kept close the kobold and held his sword warily as he said, "If you help us, then, yes, no kill. What were you two doing back there? Don't you know whose mill you're messing with?"

O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope. Thac0: 19

Detect Deception ---> (1d20)[3]

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

9. - Top - End - #219

"No kill! No mill! Trapped by the..." he tries to gesture something with his hands but finds them bound. He settles for jerking his head in the direction of the dead beetles, "and, mmm."

He also gestures back the way he came from, behind the barrels.
    Forum Rules

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros looks on with mild distaste and remarks, "We are going to have to tie it up if we are not going to slay it."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

11. - Top - End - #221

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

O. O. C.: He's already tied up.

IC ---> Apparently trusting the thing, Sid looked towards the barrels where the kobolds had been hiding, then back at the dead one. "Sorry about your mate, there. We were just hired to clean the place out." Waving his sword at the guy's neck, he asked harshly, "Okay, so why were you guys in here, then? Stealing Lord Bost's, uh, milling equipment?"

- Myself

12. - Top - End - #222

"Not raid, just explore. Escape. Out that way?" he asks with an eye toward the tunnel back to the mill.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-11-20 at 11:51 PM.
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looked a little twitchy. He opened his mouth to ask Sid and Nathros what the little kobold was saying, but then he closed it as the creature's sentences started to make more sense.

He asked Nathros nervously, "Think we need to use manacles? I'm not good with knots, on account of me not bein' a sailor and not ever knowin' I'd have to tie up a prisoner."

"I sure hope they don't have bows like we do. They had no torches, so I think they can see in the dark."

The young man glanced at the darkness into which the other kobold had escaped.

14. - Top - End - #224

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

OOC: I think that Jeanne killed the other kobold. "Shoot first, act condescending later," I think was her motto.

IC: Apparently satisfied, Sid lowered his sword and gestured in the area the kobolds had come from. "Just exploring, huh? So what's back that way? Here, stand up. You show us around, and you'll make it out of here okay. You try anything funny, and you won't. Deal?" Belatedly, he shot Stefan a confused look, wondering why he wasn't doing the talking, while he backed him up.

- Myself

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

"I mean tie it up so as it cannot move or yell out, if we are set on continuing our exploration. No good bringing it with us or setting it loose, there is too much mischief it could do. Ask it how many others of its folk are nearby."

16. - Top - End - #226

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid raised an eyebrow at Nathros, as if to say, "Why don't you ask him yourself?" but he just nodded towards the Dwarf and said, "Well, what do you say to that, dog thing?" He frowned, though, not wanting to just leave the thing, even if securely bound, or to kill it.

- Myself

17. - Top - End - #227

Stefan looks sheepish as he fades further into the shadows and away from the action.

The kobold gestures again toward the barrels and the dark spot from which he emerged moments ago. "That way, not far. Nothing to show. No way out."
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

The farm boy turned warrior asked Nathros and Sid and the others, "Do you believe him?"

He knelt and confiscated all the equipment and treasure he could find on the little dog-faced humanoid.

As he did that, he mused, "If there is no other way out, then how did he get here?"

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros shrugs at Brandon's question, "Half the things such creatures say are lies, and the other half only enough truth to mislead." He stands ready with torch and sword, keeping an eye out for any sign of additional enemies creeping along the passageways.

20. - Top - End - #230

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid turned to the others and gesticulated agitatedly as he growled, "Well, we can't just sit here all day! I can't say that I'd trust this thing with my life, but I don't want to just leave it here or kill it. I say that we take it with us. They were exploring, so he probably knows something we don't. We'll just watch it carefully, then let Bost decide what to do with it, alright? Now, let's keep going. I wanna see what else is down here."

- Myself

21. - Top - End - #231

"Nothing to see. Dead end. Go back." He again seems to try to gesture, albeit futilely, this time toward the tunnel to back to the mill. His demeanor seems resigned, and he does not struggle.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-11-26 at 02:18 PM.
    Forum Rules

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Using the same length of rope that he tied the kobold's arms together with, Brandon looped the rope so that the kobold was hobbled, unable to take more than baby steps and definitely unable to run.

He held onto the rest of the rope without cutting it, but stuffed most of it in his pack, holding on to one end.

He then glanced uneasily at their tiny captive.

"Yeah, I think that there are more of them."

"I'm willing to explore further if you all are also. I just worry we might find a whole dozen or more of the little rascals waitin' for us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Any treasure on the kobold, Roland? And on the other one, presuming we find it soon.

23. - Top - End - #233

Brandon relieves both the living and dead kobolds of their crummy excuse for a dagger and small sacks. Each sack contains mostly (kobold) fist-sized rocks, though at the bottom jingles a dozen dinged up coppers.
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon beamed and showed the others what he found.

"Look, guys! And Jeanne. Treasure!"

He looked as ecstatic over the coppers as a new mother would be over her baby.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2010-11-26 at 02:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid nodded his thanks to Brandon, as he tied the kobold up. At his reaction to the coins, Sid muttered, "Uhhh...yeah. I guess it sort of is. Anyway, I saw those guys back here. Maybe they've got a bigger stash." He'd head for the barrels where he found the kobolds and attempt to open one, if possible.

- Myself

26. - Top - End - #236

Jeanne smiles in a manner that might be pitying and nods reassuringly.

Sid approaches the trio of barrels at one end of the room. Their lids are set on loosely and the barrels are empty. Just beyond them is a crack in the wall of the room. This seems likely the kobolds' manner of entrance. It would be an extremely tight fit for a human. but assuming it goes somewhere, and doesn't narrow, passage might be possible.
    Forum Rules

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

"Narrower and narrower." Nathros explores the perimeter of the chamber in order to discover how many passages connect with it and if there are any secret doors.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2010-11-29 at 06:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238

Apart from the tunnel through which he entered and the crack in the wall through which the kobolds apparently emerged, no other doors or passages can be found.

From edge of the kobolds' entrance, Nathros sees only a single passage, with no apparent branches, though it does seem to widen a bit after several feet.
    Forum Rules

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon eyed the narrow passage very skeptically.

"Do you think exploring that is still within the boundaries of the mission Lord Bost gave us?"

After a few minutes, he sighed. "Aw, what the hell."

Again he took off his backpack and shield, his bow and arrows. He used his dagger to cut out the organs of the beetles they had only recently slain. Using glowing beetle organs for illumination, he crawled into the narrow kobold tunnel armed only with his dagger.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2010-11-30 at 12:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

At Brandon's musing about whether or not Lord Bost would care about this particular tunnel, Sid grinned and said, "Either way, who wouldn't want to check it out? As soon as we call Bost's men back, we won't get a second chance. And who knows? Maybe there'll be more treasure! Heh!"

As Brandon headed into the tunnel, Sid watched the kobold and worked out a way to pull the thing behind him through the tunnel, probably with someone else helping from behind, as soon as Brandon gave the okay to follow.

- Myself