Page 80 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3055707172737475767778798081828384 LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #2371
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Brandon Bor

Bran looks startled at the price. Startled, fearful, but also impressed. 1000 gold is almost all the party's winnings in coin. Magic was much costlier than he'd imagined.

"How much for just two of the daggers?"

Then he grins at overhearing the words "Bost's Rangers".

2. - Top - End - #2372
    Titan in the Playground

If Nathros is around, he stops Brandon from selling the three magical daggers with a gruff "Those are not for sale."
    Last edited by Matthew; 2012-09-10 at 10:16 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #2373
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

After the party, Mycah would have headed back to town, preferable tagging along with Nathros and establishing his own room at whatever inn he's using. Come morning, he has breakfast and gets cleaned up, then meets up with Brandon to deal with the gear.
    "Those potions might be something good. We should try to figure out what they do rather than sell them, don't you think?"

At the blacksmith's Mycah will seem confused, then point out, "Bran, your mom said she thought those were magical, are you sure you want to see them? I could use one, and I bet Talsarios would be interested too."
    He'll look over the weapons rack and see if a sword catches his eye. When Nathros appears, he'll wave him and Bran both over.
    "I think I should get a real sword and learn how to use it, especially if we are going to keep exploring ruins and caves like we have been. can you help me pick a good one?"

Spoiler
    Show

I'll need to know what the cost is for lodging/meals per night in town.

Also want sword training, though Mycah can tag along with Ash and the others so we can go to the trainer together.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

4. - Top - End - #2374
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    If Nathros is around, he stops Brandon from selling the three magical daggers with a gruff "Those are not for sale."
    Brandon Bor

Bran looks startled. "Oh. I thought.... Never mind what I thought." He turns beet red in embarrassment, especially since he was acting the fool in front of his mother.

"Too bad the smith couldn't sell us some better weapons, though. Magic daggers are nice, but I'd like something bigger."

Quote Originally Posted by Koren n'Rhys View Post
    After the party, Mycah would have headed back to town, preferable tagging along with Nathros and establishing his own room at whatever inn he's using. Come morning, he has breakfast and gets cleaned up, then meets up with Brandon to deal with the gear.
    "Those potions might be something good. We should try to figure out what they do rather than sell them, don't you think?"
    Bran replies, "If we can find out what they do without actually drinking them, sure. But I'm leery of them. What if we drink one by mistake?"

Bran asks his mother, "Ma, where can I get some good sword training around here?"

"I'd rather not ask you to do it, though I know you could. I couldn't raise a blade against you, which would kind of defeat the purpose."

"Oh, and before I forget..."

Bran gives her some money with a kiss on the cheek, and hands out presents to his mother, his father, and his siblings.

Gifts
    Spoiler
    Show
    As per my post in the OOC thread, Bran is giving coin and gifts equivalent to a third of the treasure earned since the fire beetle fight reward.

5. - Top - End - #2375
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The Bor house is a large, but simple, farmhouse in appearance. It offers a greatroom for the party to gather, though if they had even a few more members, they'd have to move the meeting to the barn. The family lives in obvious comfort, though there is nothing opulent about the decor. Brandon's family graciously accepts his gifts and it is clear that his siblings are quite impressed with his success. His mother smiles a proud, knowing, motherly smile, before ushering out all the family members and leaving the group to their business. After the distribution of the gold, daggers, and whatever else remains is completed, she returns to speak to the whole group.

She speaks with a knowing tone, looking each of the party members in the eye as she speaks. Confident and genuine she proceeds, holding out the gem in her hand for all to see. Removed from the twine and polished up, it positively gleams.

"As I thought, this gem is something special. The jeweler here would have given you a pittance for it, and he could not give you it's full value, even if he recognized it. It is old, rare, and special. You'd not get fair value for it anywhere but the capital, and perhaps not even there. You can keep it, but as undivided spoils, it is something of a waste, and perhaps even a danger. I'll offer you a trade for it. Something for each of you. Perhaps not your heart's desire, but something useful, and a fair value, on my honor."

She leaves off there, not a question but clearly an offer. She will depart, if asked, to allow those present to discuss it. Otherwise, she will patiently await an answer.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-09-10 at 07:13 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

6. - Top - End - #2376
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran carefully doesn't look at his mom so he doesn't blush in front of his friends.

He also doesn't say anything first, letting his family's guests speak their mind before he chimes in.

7. - Top - End - #2377
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis woke and had a good meal, paying a full gold coin in order to try to curry favor in this town.

After all, I might come back.

He took some time in order to study his spellbook, going back to a more balanced load of spells. He then donned his armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    I took the floating disc again since I'm not sure if we need to carry something heavy or not.

Afterwards, he got lost in the city trying to find the Bor residence, as he was used to tracking creatures not buildings. After an hour of getting lost in the alleyways, he decided to ask for directions from anyone who would listen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma check to ask for directions DC 8 (1d20)[4]
    Reason why I'm doing this is because I truly am horrible with directions... even with a map. So please don't be mad at me Roland.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

8. - Top - End - #2378

Artanis manages to compose himself and inquire of a local merchant. She points him to the main road leading west. "Straight out west along that road. Once yer outta the west gate, keep walkin' a bit. It's a big farmhouse on a hill on yer left. Anyone out there can tell ya."

It was good that Artanis left himself most of the morning to look, as he was still able to arrive in time. He finds the fields around the Bor farm active with workers and the house filled with obvious relatives of Brandon.
    Forum Rules

9. - Top - End - #2379
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    O.K. thanks Roland, I wasn't sure if I arrived late or not.

Artanis politely thanked the woman and hurried on to the Bor residence.

He remained quiet for the most part of the meeting, only recommending that they keep any magic items for now.

Upon hearing of the gem, he raised one of his brows.

"Does it have any identifiable magical properties? If it simply a beautiful gem, I suggest we take your mother's offer Brandon."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

10. - Top - End - #2380
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna bites her lip.
    Well, that gem could be really valuable, but there's one of it and seven of us. And whoever got it probably wouldn't get a weapon, or as much gold, or something like that. Brandon's mom is offering a present for everyone. I know which option I would choose if it was my call…
    If anyone wants to know what she thinks, she'll mutter, "I say we should take the deal."
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #2381
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash will nod at Alanna and add, "If it's magical, a single gem could offer potential use to us as a group - depending on what it did. But, individual valuables would likely be of help more often to each of us. And, considering that our group could change from one mission to the next, we could take that value with us anywhere and not leave anything behind."

Ash will address Brandon's mother, "First, thank you for this opportunity that we'd not have otherwise been given. I'm sure we'll come to an agreement shortly.
    "Now, I have to ask, does it in fact have any magical properties? (If so, what does it do?) Or does its value come more from that of a relic?"

12. - Top - End - #2382
    Ogre in the Playground

"May I?" Talsarios says, as he takes the gem carefully between thumb and forefinger for a close look. He turns it over as he gazes into its glittery depths, lifting it up to the light, obviously racking his brains for some recollection or rumour of magical gems stones.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For what it's worth, in case it's needed, a straight Intelligence (13) check on a (1d20)[16].
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-09-11 at 04:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #2383

Tales of magical gemstones abound, and this, to Talsarios' eye looked like the kind of gem that would feature in such tales. It was small but seemingly perfect, radiant, and bearing the appearance of a twinkly star within. But nothing about it suggested to the scholar that this was any particular magical gem. Nor did it appear to have any obvious magical feature from those legends, such as beings trapped within, a radiant glow, or being cool or warm to the touch. He imagined it would make an excellent vessel or tool for magical workings, but the exact details of how were well beyond his studies to date. A power mage may have the desire and resources for such a piece beyond that of a jeweler.

---
    Ms. Bor, nods at Artanis and Ash as she speaks: "not magical, I'm afraid, though that was my first thought. It's in such flawless shape. But I had it tested. As far as Merlinda could tell, it's an extraordinary but mundane stone. If you're agreed on my offer then, I'd ask each of you what you would be interested in trading your share for, and I'll see about acquiring such things as promptly as possible."
    Forum Rules

14. - Top - End - #2384
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis nodded at the evaluation.

"I believe we are all of one mind then. We shall take your deal... unless there are any objections?"

He waited politely for any objections to be raised. If any objections were made, Artanis nodded but pointed out that the gem was of no immediate practical use.

He turned back to Brandon's mother and gave his reply.

"As I have not contributed to this party in the venture that has obtained them this gem, I feel that I should act purely as an advisor until such a time that I have proven myself."

With that, he went to the darkest part of the room and began to practice his incantations under his breath.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

15. - Top - End - #2385
    Ogre in the Playground

"That sounds like a very generous offer, Ms. Bor. We'd be grateful to make this trade with you. What would a fair price range be for each of us? I wouldn't want us to off-shoot by too much."

I could use some full plate armor. Maybe some day I could find myself a magician powerful enough to enchant it to resist the effects of harmful spells too. Then I wouldn't have to worry about anything but falling or drowning.

16. - Top - End - #2386

RangerGuy

Mycah has stayed quiet, trying to think of what he could possibly want that would be reasonable- he already had far more gold than he ever imagined, and more than he knew how to spend.

"I think your offer is a fair one, Mrs. Bor. If that gem is truly so valuable, it seems too much risk to hold on to it and risk losing it somehow."

He waits as the others offer their thoughts, then another thought pops into his mind. "Mrs. Bor, can you recommend a trustworthy place where we... or I anyway, could rent a vault to store our coin? I know that I can't just carry it around all the time. That's just silly."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

17. - Top - End - #2387
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran smiles as his party mates decide to take his mom up on her offer without him having to say anything that might seem partisan on her behalf.

He continues to just listen and observe.

18. - Top - End - #2388

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    "That sounds like a very generous offer, Ms. Bor. We'd be grateful to make this trade with you. What would a fair price range be for each of us? I wouldn't want us to off-shoot by too much."
    "A very practical question," she smiles kindly, "like one my husband would ask. But I don't think a number would provide you any context, dear.

If you were to go into town and buy the best something you could afford, what would it be? A home? A boat? A blade?"
    She scans the assembled as she speaks these options and then continues, "a bow, a rare text, spells? Something from home?" She finishes her listing looking at Nathros.

"I don't mean to be vague, but it isn't as simple as shopping at a merchant booth in the square."

He waits as the others offer their thoughts, then another thought pops into his mind. "Mrs. Bor, can you recommend a trustworthy place where we... or I anyway, could rent a vault to store our coin? I know that I can't just carry it around all the time. That's just silly."
    "Well, the situation we have here works in reverse, you know. You could purchase a gem or something else small and valuable that would lighten your load and let you take your wealth with you.

I'm certain Lord Bost would hold it for you or the Church can provide such services, if you are reasonably devout."
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-09-11 at 10:41 PM.
    Forum Rules

19. - Top - End - #2389
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    "A very practical question," she smiles kindly, "like one my husband would ask. But I don't think a number would provide you any context, dear.

If you were to go into town and buy the best something you could afford, what would it be? A home? A boat? A blade?"
    She scans the assembled as she speaks these options and then continues, "a bow, a rare text, spells? Something from home?" She finishes her listing looking at Nathros.
    ASH

"Well-crafted full plate armor - Ma'am." Ash answers without hesitation, once Ms. Bor was finished speaking of course. That request may have seemed more obvious to those who don't know her, were Ash to be wearing her plate mail rather than casual noble's robes at the moment. None the less, her expression is resolute.

20. - Top - End - #2390
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis took no notice nor interest in any requests that the party made.

He decided to write in his spellbook about his experiences so far, making sure to take pains to keep it from any harm or prying eyes.

If Artanis was asked for, he would ask what they wanted from him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, that means that I will add a new journal entry soon that pertains to this current venture if anyone wishes to look at it when they're bored.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

21. - Top - End - #2391
    Titan in the Playground

"A dwarf forged pole-axe, perhaps? The best that a share can buy. I have a mind to wield one of late."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

22. - Top - End - #2392
    Ogre in the Playground

"If I were to choose freely, I should want a Wand of Magic Missiles, so I may help more reliably in combat than by my present flaming oil slinging antics," Talsarios says, somewhat hesitantly - "but I don't know whether any mage would sell such an item, nor whether the price would be too high."
    He shrugs: "If I've over-reached the funds, then I would like a favourable introduction to your acquaintance, Merlinda. I need to get more spells in my book, you see."

23. - Top - End - #2393
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna racks her brains for a moment.
    Hmmm… I guess I could get some magic armor like Ash… or a better weapon… nah, I think I know what I want now!
    Alanna speaks up, knowing her teammates have the right to know what she knows.
    "I'd like a first-aid kit, please. It should have bandages, ointment, and maybe a potion or two. Anything else of healing value would be wonderful."
    If anyone questions her choice, she'll tell them that she wants to be as effective as possible, and that she already has good weapons and armor.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #2394

RangerGuy

Mycah's eyes light up when Mrs. Bor mentions a home.
    "A home? You mean a whole house? I've never had my own house, we just lived in the lumber camps." He trails off as he hears what the others begin to ask for and when Alanna asks for nothing but a simple healers kit, he turns beet red in embarrassment. "I, um... never mind."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

25. - Top - End - #2395
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash smiles softly to herself, amused at Mycah's expressions. She offers to Alanna, "A noble sentiment, Alanna. I don't suppose it'd hurt to dream a little bigger though. Like Mycah. I think maybe he's got the right idea."

"A house was on her list, after all." She winks at Mycah and whispers, "If a building you can call home is what you desire, then you should speak your mind."

Hehe. He's cute when he's embarassed.

26. - Top - End - #2396
    Ogre in the Playground

If the party continued to debate on the trade, Artanis blew lightly on the Elven script and stored his spell book.

He then walked up to Ash and quietly inquired for the potions so as not to disturb the others in their discussions.

"This looks like it might take some time so I believe since no one else is willing to try the potions in question, I should test them as an advisor should."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

27. - Top - End - #2397
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash's body starts in surprise at Artanis' seemingly random eagerness toward the potions. Then she'll frown in quick contemplation before replying quietly, "I'll try them if we haven't anyone to identify them properly. If they're tested, we should be in a temple for healing in case they're poison..." which I think at least one of them likely is.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-09-12 at 09:47 PM.

28. - Top - End - #2398
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis simply nodded and returned to the least visible place in the room and began to wait for the meeting to end.

I'm very confident that this will be an uneventful day... maybe I should go searching for some thugs or... wait a minute. Didn't I overhear someone calling the Fangs hired thugs?

Artanis' previously bored features suddenly became suspicious. He walked over to Brandon and quietly whispered to him.

"Brandon, did you ever get your amulet checked for any magic? Maybe just in case it attracts the attention of a scrying spell from the Fangs?"

Although Artanis doubted the likelyhood, he did not want to be caught unawares if it could be helped.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

29. - Top - End - #2399

Mycah's eyes light up when Mrs. Bor mentions a home.
    "A home? You mean a whole house? I've never had my own house, we just lived in the lumber camps." He trails off as he hears what the others begin to ask for and when Alanna asks for nothing but a simple healers kit, he turns beet red in embarrassment. "I, um... never mind."
    "A place to call one's own is powerful magic indeed. Trust me, I know.

Mycah, Brandon, there must be something you would desire from your share..."

She waits only a few moments for an answer from the pair before addressing everyone else, "I will see to your requests as promptly as possible."

She withdraws gracefully leaving the group to discuss what they'd like to do next.
    Forum Rules

30. - Top - End - #2400
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

"We should discuss each of our intentions for the following weeks between missions. I wasted the week last time, but we have plenty to keep ourselves busy this time.

"I think it'd be invaluable to seek training in our weapons and spells.
    "Also, if any of us thinks they'd want to, we could try to spread rumors about one of us to help them infiltrate the Fangs. As in, saying a precious gem went missing somewhere and no one knows who took it, but one of us saw a cloaked figure go into the inn via a back door. That kind of thing. Lure the Fangs out to recruit our volunteer.
    "And another thing. If we all continue to keep our goals the same, we should come up with a group name so that we may avoid being named by others things such as 'The Merry Band'. That would be an inaccurate name.
    "Oh, and if we cannot find anyone to identify those other two potions, we should go to the temple where Aleena would be and I'll test them there. That way, we can minimalize any potential threat they may cause."