New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Statuary Gardens (Figurines)

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    The loopies are pretty much the only durable pattern for hair bangles at this scale, consisting of two lines twisted around each other and squished together at the top and the ribbon.
    Meiling's actual bangles would have four parts by my estimate:two form a loop that the other two go through, alternate, rinse and repeat. Unless there's another way to create the beaded look? Not really a hair expert.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...StepBystep.jpg

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's alive? So yeah, main figurines are now officially on 'Erratic' schedule . Just can't seem to find the time to work on one at the moment. I do have the core of the body done though.
    Also going to keep going with the Challenge, as it is a lot less time-intensive.

Speaking of which(theme:Fight):
    Spoiler
    Show

Only 3 hobgoblins? I likes them odds.

Open Tournaments, Pros: Excellent prizes Cons: minotaurs get to participate. Better be good at dodging.

And a gladitorial match. A lineup of the participants:

The one on the right is a nod to Voldo from the Soul series. I've only played Soul Edge, though it appears that costume design went down the drain as the series went on . Soul Blade was one of my favorite games on PS1. As infuriating as Edge Master mode could be, it was an excellent tool for developing patience. /nostalgic ramblings

At again 7 uniques, that covers this weeks challenge.
    Also something from the next main figurine:

Guess i was wrong on the braids then, thanks for the link .
    Though it'll probably end up too thick at the scale i currently use, what with the materials minimum thickness. And upscaling would mean more materials/fig, which i'm hesitant to do before i can get faces right.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-12-04 at 02:38 PM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, if face is still your main concern, maybe you should try to copy it wholesale from another figurine?

Don't get it wrong, copying is one of the best way to learn. Find a figurine with the style that you like, and try to copy its face style as best as you could
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

You´re good.
    You´re damned good
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #95

Thank you for the compliment.

Challenge update is Go (no theme was given):
    Spoiler
    Show
    An officer with a power fist from generic futuristic military:

Refined Troll is still Troll:

A masked swordsman:

Yeah, he's about to become a snack:

A half-troll pit fighter:

A Cheetaur (from Quest for Glory 1, which was my introduction to both fantasy games and the english language. "Search the body" was the first phrase of english i knew, ominously enough ):

Well, faces are the main concern on account of being highly visible and the most in need of improvement, unless there's a conspiracy to never mention an even worse shortcoming .
    But yeah, it tops the list because nothing else has been brought up to challenge it. A need for better polish has been noted, but that's something to focus on once everything else is fine.
    Using another figurine as reference is a good idea, just need to find one with all angles covered.
    It'll have to wait for at least a week or two though, too busy to focus on it properly.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-12-10 at 02:46 AM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm, y'know what this needs? Better lighting. You're using a pretty dark material, which makes it difficult to properly check it out under the current conditions. >_>
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    Thank you for the compliment.

Challenge update is Go (no theme was given):
    Spoiler
    Show
    An officer with a power fist from generic futuristic military:

Refined Troll is still Troll:

A masked swordsman:

Yeah, he's about to become a snack:

A half-troll pit fighter:

A Cheetaur (from Quest for Glory 1, which was my introduction to both fantasy games and the english language. "Search the body" was the first phrase of english i knew, ominously enough ):

Well, faces are the main concern on account of being highly visible and the most in need of improvement, unless there's a conspiracy to never mention an even worse shortcoming .
    But yeah, it tops the list because nothing else has been brought up to challenge it. A need for better polish has been noted, but that's something to focus on once everything else is fine.
    Using another figurine as reference is a good idea, just need to find one with all angles covered.
    It'll have to wait for at least a week or two though, too busy to focus on it properly.
    Love the masked samurai
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #98

And Challenge update of the week (theme: architecture) going up:
    Spoiler
    Show

A tiny tiny tomb.

...yeah, let's take a different portal this time.

My kind of a mobile home. There are worse places to build a fortress, right?

Having run out of feasible ideas for the theme, a Mech.
    Two pics with different lighting, which one works better?

An orc berserker.

And a thiefling swordsman.

Sort-of feeling like i shot myself in the foot with the theme pick as coming up with workable in-theme ideas was rather tough.
    I tried to vary the lighting a bit to see if it works better. Can't go much brighter without excessive reflections though, as the material is quite prone to shinyness.

Hoping to get back to the main fig on next week, maybe even get it finished.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-12-18 at 07:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm, both the mech pics have pretty decent lighting, but it hink i prefer the right version, as the material itself appears a lot brighter. Thiefling swordsman is good too.

(The tiny tomb and orc berserker on the other hand... >_> )
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

The architecture ones are very nice - the material seems to lend itself well to non-organic structures

The Tower Turtle is especially awesome!

Re. the lightning, I prefer the right Mech. The tiefling is fine, too, but a bit too bright (or blurry).
    I agree with Domo that the tomb is too dark. A shame, 'cause it looks really cool from what I can see.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

11. - Top - End - #101

Right, i had hoped to finish the main fig before posting the Challenge update.
    Still not finished with sculpting it, had a bad case of lazybones.
    Ah well, Challenge pics here:
    Spoiler
    Show

Magitech Powerarmor. Admittedly, there are only a few details to tell it apart from scifi PA.

Deathworld assault trooper. Influences from both Fallout:NV and WH 40k Imperial Guard.

Tankbusting in style. A nod to L4D.

A gun-toting highwayman.

IgorExpress, the affordable overland travel service for customers wishing to avoid fatal sunburn.

And a cyborg-assassin of some sort to conclude the batch.

I'll keep them around for a few days, so if there are any presentational issues (angle, lighting, etc.) i can get new pics of them.

Edit: A work-in-progress pic:
    Spoiler
    Show

So now i still need to get the head done and clean it up a bit, then painting. Which is going to be a hassle. No wonder many pictures decipt her as wearing a plain green dress.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-12-28 at 07:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Right, it is done:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rin Kaenbyou from Touhou, as was already linked. Took a few liberties, specifically:
    1.) The tails. She doesn't have them in official artwork, but ~50-60% of fanart adds them, and i think she looks better with them. I'm not sure if i should add a ribbon at the base to set them apart a bit from the dress.
    Ribbons are like dakka for Touhou, always need moar .
    2.) The patterns on the dress. I concluded that i had pretty much nno chance of successfully painting the official patterns, so i went with blue symbols and green vines to evoke a similar feel to it.

As always, feedback and suggestions are welcome .

Also, in case someone reads this thread but not the Challenge thread, the option to declare the weekly theme is open to everyone from tuesday 12:00 GMT onwards each week if the theme has not been declared yet by then.
    A glorious opportunity to pester the participants with odd ideas, so what are you waiting for ?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Mhm, pretty good, although she probably could have stood to have less wide shoulders.

Face related:

The important bit is to have a good chunk of forehead visible and to curve the bridge of the nose inwards. Also don't forget to make indentations for the eyes, especially from the bridge. Plus, define the area below the chin stronger. This needs a tad more angles.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

The shoulders of the dress are supposed to be a bit poofy, though some folds would have made it more clear. The actual right shoulder under the dress would be at where the braid touches the dress in the first pic. Or would that still be too wide?

I think i'll make another disembodied head to fiddle with until i can get the look right. I just don't have the feel for sculpting faces yet, so catching the mistakes is tough. There's also the overfixing from the overtly prominent noses to far too rounded faces .
    I'll try to have the first draft for it up sometime tomorrow.

Challenge update is go:
    Spoiler
    Show

A guard patrol.

A morgh blackguard with fiendish minions.

Parry...

...and Counter.

And a mobile artillery convoy with air cover.

Set up to fire before rapidly relocating.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to see those tanks in real-figurine-size. Also cool as always, love your stuff. You rock!
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, that shoulder width sounds better.

About the challenge entries: The material is either too dark again or the lighting not strong enough. I can't quite tell. >_>
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

by the way, do you use any tool when sculpting?
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108

This is the tool i use:
    Spoiler
    Show

I mostly use it for the detailwork and cleanup. I do most of the work by hand, for example the guard patrol had no toolwork on them. I'd say one good tool is enough, the massive arrays of tools google coughs up seem to have quite a bit of redundancy in them. A blade, a straight edge and a rounded edge covers most things, with a pen for poking holes for things like visors/gun barrels.
    Though i didn't use a tool at all before i started making the Touhou figurines, so there is a bit of a disparity between my skill with tool and by hand, so how applicable the advice is i don't know.

Face ahoy:
    Spoiler
    Show

This visibility issue is a bit baffling though. I see them quite clearly, but then again i know what i'm looking at in the pics. Can't really improve much on the lighting as it runs into the reflections issue. I could grab some lighter colour sketch materials the next time i restock.
    Would also allow some larger scale sketches without tying up all the materials, hm...

On the tanks, i made them tiny mostly since i can skip some detail that way . Machinery has a lot fiddly bits that are a pain to sculpt but would look odd if omitted. I'll see about more detailed ones for the next Challenge update.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm, the general issue i see with this is that you need to shift the "weight" of the whole thing upwards, adding more mass to the forehead and less to the chin.

Move the forehead back a good bit, so you can move the nose as well, adding a good indent curve while still having a small nose. The mouth area is more in the "front" than the forehead and the nose bridge bends stronger inwards. The eye indentations are pretty ok so far.

Tool-wise... i think having something bigger and round, like a table tennis ball or somesuch could help make good indentations in general.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

How about this then:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm... getting closer.

Maybe make the nose thinner and the forehead straighter up. (Right now it has a bit too much of a backwards curve) Also make the chin-line either rounder or more pointy. (if the bottom is square-ish then it looks male)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

Adjusted for a more pointy chin, added forehead bulk and slimmed the nose a bit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also discovered that the "auto-adjust lighting" option apparently goes all whitespace on it if there is no flightbase or corners in the pic.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks pretty good like this.

Maybe try painting the face now or adding hair/ears/neck to make it a full head bust?

I got nothing else to add, really. Someone else will have to take it from here.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114

It's a sketch so won't be painting it. Phase 2 would be making a mini-version so i have a 1:1 reference for future figurines. Also need to figure out the best base shape to make it from. Previously i had started from a sphere, this one was more angular.

And an early Challenge update is go:
    Spoiler
    Show

A wasteland scavenger.

I just got tired of making humanoids.

A sea serpent.

Tanks.

And a small nostalgia trip.

25. - Top - End - #115

Alright, the next figurine is up:
    Spoiler
    Show

Shikieiki Yamaxanadu is the character in question.
    My yellow paint has horrible coverage, so painting the black patterns on it was pretty much a one-chance-get-it-right sort of thing. Had to improvise the pauldron patterns, as i can't really tell what they are from the pic.

Also came to the conclusion that it's harder to 'read' white than black, which hampered my face sculpting a bit. It's fine to know what i'm aiming for, but would be even better if i could see whether i got it right or not .

So what should i focus on improving on?

Edit: A small request: i'd like to get an overall opinion on the fig, so mind clicking on the first pic and rating it there? I'd appreciate it .

Edit2: Internet went b0rked on tuesday , an actual response along with the Challenge update when it starts to behave itself, Monday at latest. So not dropping out but might be late due to technical difficulties.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2011-01-13 at 07:09 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

HUGE improvements on the face! The colours are very nice, too (still need more shading, though - I'll keep saying it until you acknowledge or actively dismiss it )

There's something strange about the legs. I think they're too far apart?

If I may suggest something, try playing with poses and dynamics. It seems like you did this more in the beginning, but it kinda slowed down.
    Just an idea, though. I'm perfectly fine with you getting the basics down before making stuff difficult for yourself

Oh yeah, and hi again. Hope you had a nice holiday and a great new years!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

27. - Top - End - #117

Right, back on the internets once again.

The legs are a bit off, yes. Had a lenghty break on that, since Orin's frame was done sometime in early december i think. So wireframe was off -> legs off to the sides.

I did cut back a bit on the poses and painting, since i felt that going all out on them only to fall short on the face would be bit of a waste. For the same reason i haven't made certain characters yet, as i have an idea and i want to get it right.
    It's not like i'll run out of characters to make anytime soon anyway .

On the shading, i acknowledge my painting is rather basic. It's mostly from Warhammer, where it matters a lot less if it looks good up close given that there are quite a few miniatures on the table.
    It's basically about highlighting raised surfaces and using darker colours in the recesses, right? It would require a bit more texture on clothes to apply, something i intend to work on.
    Painting still remains a second in priority to the actual sculpting, since even an Epic paintjob can't salvage a botched sculpt.

Now, first the Challenge update:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the theme, a boxing kangaroo, a lab monkey and a lunatic turtle in restraints.

And a party of explorers runs into trouble:

That covers it. A bit crowded, sure, and i can get individual pics of them if you guys want any of that in moar detail.
    But i also have the next figurine here, Inubashiri Momiji:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yep, i still hate that type of hat , horrible thing to sculpt. At least it's a bit closer to the mark than the earlier communist pyramid was. I think the shield is slightly too small, and the sword definitely is. But the sword had to be made early so that it would have set by the time the hand would have to be done. It's not like swords see much actual use in Gensokyo anyway .
    Momiji is a minor character, so she has no official portrait to go by for the clothing's design and such, so i mixed and matched from various fanart interpretations of her.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2011-01-15 at 08:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm, first thought on Momiji: the mouth is too far down. The rest of the head looks pretty good though.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

Oh god. I just remembered that I have some drawing debt for you. I completely forgot about it.

When you asked it I was busy with my final thesis, but after I finished it I completely forgot... and now I'm spending my time making LPs

I'll draw your request soon.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

Figured i'd be that or that you were still busy. Perfectly understandable, so no worries . It's not like i'm entitled to be all "Oi! Where be me free stuff? It be late! " about it .

On Momiji, when you say that the mouth is too far down do you mean mouth <-> nose, mouth <-> tip of chin, or both?

And onwards to the Challenge update (theme: mecha):
    Spoiler
    Show

Needs moar Dakka.

A smaller 'scout' mech. Minituarization like this is rather good practice for making the finer detail on figurines, like fingers.

"[Boundary]: Border of Mecha and Power Armour"

An urban assault team.

And an officer from the same battlegroup.

Decided to have multiple angles this time, since the first two mecha needed them to be clearly displayed. Gives a better idea of the figu, but can lead to screenstretcher images. So yay or nay?