New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XII

I was going to send in a correction to a statement a judge made, but I really don't care.

Any ETA for the next challenge?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bosleigh
    Bosleigh has some of the strongest melee stats of any contestant. The main focus is damage and tripping is only an addition since it is effective. He also has very versatile power list and soul melds allowing him to move anywhere and even heal out of combat. The incarnum and ardent aspects are all focused on amplifying the melee powers from a talshtora war mind.

He learns the open chakra power at the same point that he retrains the open chakra feat.
    Yes, when all his soulmelds and powers are up, Bosleigh is a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately, when an encounter is dropped on you without adequate preparation, the outcome looks vastly different. While I won't say that Bosleigh is entirely incapacitated, he fell squarely between "relying entirely on items or adequate preparation rounds" (which is a 2) and "functioning without items or adequate preparation rounds...at a reduced capacity" (which is a 3).

However, I did miss that you took the Open Chakra psionic power. Because of this power's 24 hour duration, I will adjust my power score for Bosleigh to an even 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias9 View Post

Interestingly enough, that dispute wasn't from the chef, but rather from someone else (who is apparently a big Dark Wolverine fan). The comic geek in me felt compelled to forward it, even if the character isn't my favorite.
    So he really has fans?! This really surprised me.

Suggestions for the next secret ingredient: Vigilante (Complete Adventurer), Ardent Dilettante (Planar Handbook), Seeker of the Song (Complete Arcane).
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-10-15 at 09:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Banned

With Halloween being around the time of next contest's end maybe we could have a creepy-themed PrC, like from Heroes of Horror or something.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-10-15 at 09:53 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245

Haha, the only problem is that our Halloween competition might last until Thanksgiving, with the length of rounds we've been seeing...

Updated my judging and non-final tally to reflect a 0.5 addition to power for Bosleigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

My vote is either Ghost-Faced Killer or Avenging Executioner!
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Haha, the only problem is that our Halloween competition might last until Thanksgiving, with the length of rounds we've been seeing...

Updated my judging and non-final tally to reflect a 0.5 addition to power for Bosleigh.
    Yeah, I'll have to agree with OMG here. IC XIII on Halloween does sound cool, but IC XIII with a Halloween theme on Thanksgiving... not so much, no.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. I like the Halloween idea. There are some really flavorfull classes for a spooky theme.

There's Death Delver from HoH, Dirgesinger from LM, Darkrunner from LoM, and even the Thief of Life from Faiths of Eberron.

All good, flavorful halloween PRCs.

9. - Top - End - #249

NecromancerGuy

+1 ghost-faced killer
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Halfling in the Playground

I guess because of my youth, I will always associate the Ghost-Face Killer more with the Wu-Tang Clan than with horror. Though a Wu-themed entry is something I can get behind.
    Would that there were a fantasy series chronicling the adventures of Sir Lucious Left Foot; Son of the champion Chico Dusty, Sworn Knight of Stankonia, and Oath brother to Andre of the Three-Fold Millenium Brotherhood.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

b-but casters are scarier. I would suggest Nightmare Spinner or Dread Witch, only 5 levels each though.

It does not matter if the submission ends a few days before halloween. It's IC 13...That merits a spooky comeptition all by itself. Even I'm inspired to wite a coherent backtory this time.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Banned

Full casters tend to be pretty boring, I think. "Oh, look, I'm doing LogicNinja's Baman with a different class. Oh, I scare people as well. Boo!"

I like Souldrinker (is that the name?) from Book of Vile Darkness. Optimizing it to the fullest is a serious challenge.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Yeah, I'll have to agree with OMG here. IC XIII on Halloween does sound cool, but IC XIII with a Halloween theme on Thanksgiving... not so much, no.
    Actually, I'll be closing this one up and posting XIII tomorrow. If we run at about the same rate, we should be towards the end of judging around Halloween.
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-10-16 at 12:01 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

To celebrate Halloween, I would suggest the Scaled Horror from Savage Species.

If instead we want to celebrate Thanksgiving, I would suggest the Apostle of Peace from The Book of Exalted Deeds.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Eye of Gruumish? Can't we go with horrifying rather than scary? :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe we could do True Necromancer? It's certainly horrifying on several counts, and takes a lot of skill to turn into a tasty dish... but I'm not sure how many different things can be done with it, so that's a concern.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

17. - Top - End - #257
    Banned

Also, VT, the Ardent thing is perfectly legal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "This feat does not affect your powers known."

This is the line that I look at. If you can take this feat while taking a class like Fighter or something, come back to Ardent and take high-leveled powers as if you had never left, I think it is affecting your powers known.

It also does not say a word about anything special happening with Ardent, which it would if that feat was meant to do what everyone takes it as doing.

You could also take Precious Apprentice and Practiced Manifester and take Cerebremancer at 4th level with this interpretation.

All in all, I do not believe that was the intention of the feat, and goes against the spirit of it.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-10-16 at 02:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

GnomeWizardGuy

And, since we have 4 complete scores in from the Judges and there are not outstanding disputes, we have our winners:

In first place, with a score of 64.25: The Gilded Duke's "Ultimo Tarrasco Jr."
    In second place, with a score of 60: Nerdanel's "Esha Two Bears"

A special round of congratulations to this round's winners.

As noted, this round's trophies will be delayed due to the chairman failing a save against his own ray of stupidity.

The final standings for the other contestants are as follows:

{table=head]Contestant|Build|Score
    Rancor1|Dolgan Whurard|56.5
    Player3|Khalanatari, Ascetic Nightmare|55.5
    Amphetryon|Daken|55.5
    WinWin|Xepher Lod, Harbinger of Consumption|54.75
    Rancor1|Bosleigh Eddon|54.5
    T.G. Oskar|Violet Rose|50.5
    kestrel404|Krelb the Canny|47.5
    Cadian 9th|Tanis Bloodblade|47.25
    Duke of URL|Sublime Mind of War|42[/table]

Congratulations to all the contestants for a battle well fought.

In addition I would like to thank the Judges this round, especially since more than one filled in on short notice.

The next round will be up later tonight.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    "This feat does not affect your powers known."
    Tell me then, what else governs when and how an Ardent learns their powers? It has to be based on ML. Practiced Spellcaster affects your ML. Think of it like IL and marital adepts. If you take 1 level of Warblade, then 18 levels of Fighter, then 1 level of Warblade, you'll have an IL of 11 and can learn a 6th level power. Ardents function similarly. If you take some Ardent levels, then some non-Ardent/non-+Manifester levels with PM, then some more Ardent or +Manifester levels, you get the higher level powers based on your ML. The phrase you quoted is for all other Manifesters (and casters in the case of Practiced Spellcaster) to clarify that it only increases your caster level, not your spellcaster level like a level of a +spellcaster class would do.

With spellcasters, you have two things. You have your caster level and your effective spellcaster level. Spellcaster level determines things like spell/day and spells known. Caster level is only used to determine things like duration, range, # of targets, # of dice, etc. You generally get +1 CL for each spellcaster level you have, plus more for certain feats, effects, and abilities. CL has no bearing on what level spells you know, only how hard your spells hit. For most psionic classes, its the exact same thing. Your effective Psion level determines how many powers known you have, and what your base PP pool amount is. ML affects how much you can augement powers by, and things like duration and how many bonus PP you get for a high caster stat. Ardents are different though. Ardents are ONLY dependant on their Manifester Level. Ardents are the exception. Thats one of the reasons why a lot of people like them...they are very dip-friendly and make great gishes. They do pay for that price in their severely limited number of powers known and low pool of available powers to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Ugh. Still not a complete vindication from that utter failure from last time.

Why it is that hindsight has to be annoyingly 20/20? It's so annoying that, two seconds after I posted the thread, the idea of "Carmendine Monk" came to mind. But I oddly went with Swashbuckler for no particular reason...the entry requirements for BAB were only +3, and I entered a bit late in that regard (probably was thinking of a +6 for some reason.

Psychic Warrior wasn't meant to be entry to War Mind; I used Half-Giant specifically because of Powerful Build + natural PP pool. It was mostly to take advantage of the extra feat; I could have used Fighter for that, but the net result would have been a bit terrible for multiclass penalties and half-giants already have PsyWar as a favored class, so it was a bit advantageous.

Also; should have definitely placed a bit more emphasis on Drow Scorpion Chain. A few days later, I noticed I could have used the Sandstorm feats related to Scorpions on that regard, but then again, that would have only worked with someone with a bit more feats.

But really...should have gone with Monk. The options would have been quite effective, and I would have developed even more synergy with the feats I could have had at my disposal (maybe even dabble in grapple, which meant two good things that could use a large size) and Decisive Strike + Perfect Riposte (and maybe Chain of Overwhelming Force) for a brutal third.

Again, hindsight is annoyingly 20/20. Oh well...as usual; anyone else might want to polish their judging skills while next competition comes by making an extra-official judging of an idea? It helps me improve more than just keep competing and realizing that I can't cook for anything...
    Last edited by T.G. Oskar; 2010-10-16 at 09:33 PM.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Man, I'm surprised Bosleigh didn't rank higher. I thought that was a pretty amazing build. It is kinda 2 concepts, but they weave together in fantastic fashion that creates a whole with more power than the sum of the parts. Mauling Gauntlets + stacking size on UAS is brutal...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

A Huge CONGRATULATION! to the Winners and Competitors!

A Winner is YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Ugh. Still not a complete vindication from that utter failure from last time.

Why it is that hindsight has to be annoyingly 20/20? It's so annoying that, two seconds after I posted the thread, the idea of "Carmendine Monk" came to mind. But I oddly went with Swashbuckler for no particular reason...the entry requirements for BAB were only +3, and I entered a bit late in that regard (probably was thinking of a +6 for some reason.
    Spoiler
    Show

Psychic Warrior wasn't meant to be entry to War Mind; I used Half-Giant specifically because of Powerful Build + natural PP pool. It was mostly to take advantage of the extra feat; I could have used Fighter for that, but the net result would have been a bit terrible for multiclass penalties and half-giants already have PsyWar as a favored class, so it was a bit advantageous.

Also; should have definitely placed a bit more emphasis on Drow Scorpion Chain. A few days later, I noticed I could have used the Sandstorm feats related to Scorpions on that regard, but then again, that would have only worked with someone with a bit more feats.

But really...should have gone with Monk. The options would have been quite effective, and I would have developed even more synergy with the feats I could have had at my disposal (maybe even dabble in grapple, which meant two good things that could use a large size) and Decisive Strike + Perfect Riposte (and maybe Chain of Overwhelming Force) for a brutal third.

Again, hindsight is annoyingly 20/20. Oh well...as usual; anyone else might want to polish their judging skills while next competition comes by making an extra-official judging of an idea? It helps me improve more than just keep competing and realizing that I can't cook for anything...
    Ditto, hindsight.

Spoiler
    Show

I kinda assumed that Sweeping Strike would work with Bloodstorm Blade's thunderous throw, but RAW it doesn't. Fair enough. All in all, I'll take away a lot from this competition (and be ready for the next one )... First time I've designed a 1-20 build, and I love it. Some kinks with pre-reqs and things I've got to iron out, but mainly I forgot some of the things I pretty much always would get anyway, e.g. Practised Manifester. Next time I'll see if I can accomplish the dish with one class, the PrC and make it even more elegant. I was most pleased with my non-choppy progression, but It had some flaws.

Once more into the breach!
    Awesome Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins!

Retired from active duty

It means I am rarely on this site anymore. It's been an honor serving with you all.

PEACH

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Congrats, and I really found the winners build to be hilarious, thought that is more to do with the backstory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Halfling in the Playground

Viva la lucha!
    Would that there were a fantasy series chronicling the adventures of Sir Lucious Left Foot; Son of the champion Chico Dusty, Sworn Knight of Stankonia, and Oath brother to Andre of the Three-Fold Millenium Brotherhood.

25. - Top - End - #265

BlueWizardGirl

Wow, I got the second place with my build that was finished in a hurry and submitted two minutes before the deadline!

The whole thing was done with the aid of the SRD + the Crystalkeep PDFs + Google. I had a great difficulty coming up with a prestige class to finish off the build. Horizon Walker looked unlikely on the first glimpse, but I was already grasping at straws and so found out it wasn't that bad a choice after all. (Frenzied Berserker? - Antisynergy. Bear Warrior? - Antisynergy. Elocater? - Awful prerequisites for questionable benefits and a total disjunct of flavor. And so on. In addition, the Crystalkeep PDFs gave me only the first two levels of the first two...)

I thought of Practised Manifester, but didn't have access to its text.

The nice thing about Powerful Charge is how it synergises with Expansion.

I chose Destructive Rage mostly for flavor (Esha solves problems by hitting them with his sword!) and because I was running out of time.

26. - Top - End - #266

Kobold

Awesome.
    Yeah, a grappling build seemed natural to go with with large size + Expansion, but it only really came together with the idea of grappling multiple creatures with the wording of sweeping strikes. Once I finally looked up what improved grab could do, the build really came together.

And then I had a bland but powerful grappler, so Lucha Libre was the obvious way to go.

Looking at the various judgings, what would have made it better was to cut out some fighter, start totemist earlier to get the soul chakra going from low levels. Completely cut out the weapon focus grapple, and get improved grapple from normal feats. With improved grab he never really needed it, but a +4 still didn't hurt. There might have been some way to make it better with other feats, but most of the usual grapple feats (Lords of Madness stuff) was humanoid only.

If I did all that though, could have made it a 19 level build, and not caused so many problems with LA.

The very early build idea was a half-giant barbarian War Mind, and I think some traces of that build remain. Actually swapped things over to totemist after going through gear options.

Also looking forward to a Halloween themed competition. Perhaps something notoriously bad... what was it, True Necromancer?