New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Archonic's Archaic Acronymical Antidisestablishmentarianism Random banter 148

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Semi-Related (warning. Screen-stretchy goodness.):

Spoiler
    Show
    Look! A Monument to the Keyboard!
    Also semi-related:
    Spoiler
    Show

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #422
    Banned

Default Re: Archonic's Archaic Acronymical Antidisestablishmentarianism Random banter 148

Semi-Related (warning. Screen-stretchy goodness.):

Spoiler
    Show
    Look! A Monument to the Keyboard!
    The Tomb of the Unknown Processor.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Firbolg in the Playground

I agree. But I think there's also the case of games that don't age well. It happens to books and movies too, actually. Some are really good and popular when they're released, then some years later they just don't work as well anymore.

Final Fantasy's become a lot more shiny graphics as of late, so some of the newer fans might not appreciate the older games as much.
    But that's not a case of games not aging well. That's a case of the game series changing and becoming appealing to a different audience. Final Fantasy VII has aged iust fine for the people who enioyed it when it first came out.
    Also, on FFX, it was good, but a bit short compared to previous ones.
    Also I know people who will be like "Final Fantasy X...? You mean Blitzball?"

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalAvocado View Post
    I quit after 2nd gen.
    What do you mean 'quit'? It's not like there was anything after 2nd gen.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    Dern youngins and their pokeymans...

(Pokémon started just barely after I was too old to have any chance of ever being interested in it. I'm 27, so what was that, when I was in High School?)
    I'm 18 so I was the perfect age when Pokemon was big.

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    But that's not a case of games not aging well. That's a case of the game series changing and becoming appealing to a different audience. Final Fantasy VII has aged iust fine for the people who enioyed it when it first came out.
    I actually haven't played many of the previous ones. I know I'm deprived.

And blitzball was kind of fun.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    CurlyKitGirl:
    *snip*
    Enjoy
    I have to upload an image now to express the way I feel about this.
    Spoiler
    Show

Now I am satisfied.

Also semi-related:
    *Snip*
    I cannot be the only one who thought it was Optimus Prime when he first saw that.

I mean, if it is...then he'd be a robot in disguise.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2010-10-04 at 11:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

CurlyKitGirl:

Spoiler
    Show

Enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    I have to upload an image now to express the way I feel about this.
    Spoiler
    Show

Now I am satisfied.
    Right, so I'm really not much of a cosplayer. Tried it once, wasn't too excited about it, but... Gawd I wanna do James some time.

He's still one of my favourite villains.
    Last edited by randman22222; 2010-10-04 at 12:40 PM.
    This avatar by Phase.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Aside from maybe the first few, the Final Fantasy games age pretty well. I didn't much like X though, especially not Auron. I'm probably unique in this opinion. >_>;

8. - Top - End - #428
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Starfols View Post
    Aside from maybe the first few, the Final Fantasy games age pretty well. I didn't much like X though, especially not Auron. I'm probably unique in this opinion. >_>;
    Media opinions are never unique. Only unpopular.

I actually liked X a lot, but X was the first I played. And I found it to be a great game, even though a lot of people disagree.

9. - Top - End - #429

Media opinions are never unique. Only unpopular.

I actually liked X a lot, but X was the first I played. And I found it to be a great game, even though a lot of people disagree.
    I guess that's true. I actually played them (almost) in order. Auron just seemed like a watered down version of Galuf to me. Big, tough old man, only not funny. Also no Gilgamesh!

It's okay though, VIII is one of my favorites, and that draws a lot of hate as well.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starfols View Post
    *gasp* How could you? I'm gunna troll you so hard because that's what all stereotypical fanboys do... right?

Your entitled to your opinion (no your not), though I disagree with it (because your wrong).

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by RPGsr4me View Post
    *gasp* How could you? I'm gunna troll you so hard because that's what all stereotypical fanboys do... right?

Your entitled to your opinion (no your not), though I disagree with it (because your wrong).
    I get that a lot. I have a friend whom I may not mention X (nor VIII) in his presence, because my arguments infuriate him.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry, but I can't accept any statement that uses the wrong "you're."

Having sparked this debate, I feel like I need to contribute.

There is nothing wrong with preferring older or newer graphics. It is a matter of preference in style. And I will accept that some Final Fantasy games that have been made since 7 could be argued to be even better. Or the argument that earlier editions were better than 7.

I would also accept the argument that they are not, and that some of the quality has left the series over time.

Not having played any in awhile, I wouldn't know how the more recent editions stack up, though I do know that in order for them to match the better ones of the past, they'd have to do better than shine. Graphics are a medium by which the game is presented, and if the game is well-constructed in every other aspect, they add to the experience. But not powerful rendering engine can save a bad game.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #433
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just read The Death of the Author.

What on Earth did I just read?

Really Mr Barthes, what on Earth was in your mind? I disagree with you very strongly.

Bah.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

There's a stretch of my campus's Ring Road that's strewn with nothing but sorority indoctrination recruitment booths. The whole strip's bedaubed with garish banners, hookahs, fliers, and meaningless oversized Greek letters--all to convince everyone with at least two X chromosomes that their house full of stressed-out students who happen to be female is empirically better than every other house full of stressed-out students who happen to be female.

Anyway, they've got like a dozen people out there squatting in the middle of the road handing out colorful card-stock fliers to the aforementioned Xbearers, whether or not they look interested, available, or actually alive. It's in a high traffic area, so my lady-type friends are pretty damn annoyed by it. For that reason, it's actually kinda neat walking through as a Y-haver and not getting bugged at all. It's like how in the game Hitman having the right disguise means the guards don't bother you, except instead of a bloodstained work shirt and a funny hat, I've got a penis.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, being ignored by women on account of having a penis sounds very frustrating.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Oops. I usually catch myself doing that before I post

There is nothing wrong with preferring older or newer graphics. It is a matter of preference in style. And I will accept that some Final Fantasy games that have been made since 7 could be argued to be even better. Or the argument that earlier editions were better than 7.

I would also accept the argument that they are not, and that some of the quality has left the series over time.

Not having played any in awhile, I wouldn't know how the more recent editions stack up, though I do know that in order for them to match the better ones of the past, they'd have to do better than shine. Graphics are a medium by which the game is presented, and if the game is well-constructed in every other aspect, they add to the experience. But not powerful rendering engine can save a bad game.
    I agree with your assessment of graphics. They are by no means needed for a good game, but bad graphics can hurt a good game.

I never had the privilege of playing Final Fantasy 7 or many of the older games, but in just the last few games I can see a drop in quality, in my opinion. 10 and 12 were both quite good. 13 by comparison is lacking.

Of course if you bring 3 into the equation everything gets thrown out the window.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Personally, being ignored by women on account of having a penis sounds very frustrating.
    You'd think so, wouldn't you? Maybe I just don't actually view the sorority recruiters as ladies, per se. More like, I dunno, Greek-branded Spirit Droids who are programmed to respond to every stimulus with slinging a flier or singing a song. I guarantee you that the output of every conversation with these women would be, "Yeah, the Sorority Funk Fever Rave DJ Dance Battle Barbeque Mixer is this Friday! You should totally come."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #438

I think 7 was, to some extent, the big divider between new and old FF. VII was a big diversion from their earlier ones in style and theme, and it's wild success inspired others in its style, like VIII and XIII. IX is a direct attempt to get back into form, and I would argue the same for XII as well. X was sort of it's own thing, which I think is the reason for mixed opinions on it.

Frankly, I don't think graphics have much of anything to do with it. XII was one of the ones I liked, and it was also extremely pretty. I liked the prettiness, and it contributed to the game's goodness, but it was certainly not the only reason. I know for one I'd still like the game if Vaan looked like this:
    I also disagree with the assertion that the newer games have to be even better than the older ones to compare. If they were of equal quality (assuming that can be quantified), it would be rated more poorly because of nostalgia, but that's not the game's fault. If anything, a game of equal quality on a new system would be better, because it's got the quality of the older game, plus better graphics.

19. - Top - End - #439

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    *snip* except instead of a bloodstained work shirt and a funny hat, I've got a penis.
    You're not doing it right.

Sorry - just had too.

So really, you're complaint is that mindless droids are using ancient recruiting techniques to get....more mindless droids?

Or is this just a note of amusement?
    I'm usually late to the party, but it's a great time when I get there....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    So really, you're complaint is that mindless droids are using ancient recruiting techniques to get....more mindless droids?

Or is this just a note of amusement?
    That second one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441

Quick question.

Is my avatar not loading for everyone else too?
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    Crae is the bestest daddy,
    I make avatars, all you have to do is ask, and I'll do it if I can.
    My Awards
    I've got a Formspring, ask me questions if you want.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rae Artemi View Post
    Quick question.

I see it. EDIT: Wait, now I don't

WOOO!!!! white text
    Last edited by Gullara; 2010-10-04 at 06:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Banned

Quick question.

Yeah, a couple people's avatars aren't loading for me either...

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick question.

nien. unless it's supposed to be a red x
    Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

25. - Top - End - #445

Okay, I fixed it, for some reason Imageshack deleted a couple of my avatars.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

bummer :( happened to my xanga a lot
    Last edited by CynicalAvocado; 2010-10-04 at 06:31 PM.
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

27. - Top - End - #447

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalAvocado View Post
    bummer :(ignore the white filler text
    Luckily they were all still saved on my computer, so all I had to do was re-upload them.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Luckily they were all still saved on my computer, so all I had to do was re-upload them.
    ha, good on ya. i had to hunt for another suitable avatar when mine went kablooie
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

Oops. I usually catch myself doing that before I post

I agree with your assessment of graphics. They are by no means needed for a good game, but bad graphics can hurt a good game.

I never had the privilege of playing Final Fantasy 7 or many of the older games, but in just the last few games I can see a drop in quality, in my opinion. 10 and 12 were both quite good. 13 by comparison is lacking.

Of course if you bring 3 into the equation everything gets thrown out the window.
    Oohh...do you mean Final Fantasy 3 from Japan, or what is actually Final Fantasy VI?

Because Final Fantasy III actually IS a pretty good game. As is IV. II and V are sort of unsung and kinda broken though.

I agree that bad graphics can definitely hurt a good game, and sometimes even make it totally unplayable, but that's more a matter of making the graphics work to coincide with the gameplay itself.

See, I'm not the kind who thinks that a game should have good graphics or good gameplay. I think it should have BOTH. That graphics should be a focus of how to best represent the space in a game, rather than how to show off a system's ability to render graphics, and that gameplay should be engaging, whether it be story-driven, mindless shooting, rhythm gameplay, or even a sports title. A good game doesn't just focus on one or the other, it focuses on BOTH in relation to what the game requires and needs in order to be a good game.

Quick question.

Yeah, at the moment of writing this, I can't see it.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2010-10-04 at 06:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

i have never played final fantasy
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga