New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Archonic's Archaic Acronymical Antidisestablishmentarianism Random banter 148

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    RB in general has no rigidly defined N, however at any given point there is a current N, to whit, what we are talking about at that point. An established subiect of conversation within the many and varied N which make up the whole of RB. There may, indeed, be multiple different current N (e.g. In this case, Koorli's scary writing and N vs. ON are both within the domain of established, current N). Anything outside that domain represents a change of domain - it is ON. If picked up by another poster, it then becomes part of the established current N.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    And for the N/ON debate, I think I'll go with Rawhide. ONs should not just be unrelated to what others are talking about, but also what you're talking about yourself. Since every new post is here is per definition a new topic unless you specify otherwise (if so just by responding to what someone else said), you haven't actually talked about anything to which you can say something unrelated. You have to say something first.
    Listen to the Teddy. You need to establish N before you can have ON. RB has no established N, even the most recent posts can't be considered an established N. I would go so far as to say that this is true in most threads, even ones with a defined topic, with only limited exceptions. You can't walk into just any thread and have ON without establishing your N, or your participation in the discussion of a particular N, first.

ION:
    It's a pity that this N/ON discussion has overshadowed the awesomeness that was the Iron Baby video I linked. That movie quality CGI suit was made entirely by an amateur!

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Archonic's Archaic Acronymical Antidisestablishmentarianism Random banter 148

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    It's a pity that this N/ON discussion has overshadowed the awesomeness that was the Iron Baby video I linked. That movie quality CGI suit was made entirely by an amateur!
    That video was badass and I would pay money to see the feature film adaptation.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RPGsr4me View Post
    ION: I got my first ticket today. Apparently I did a rolling stop at a stop sign. I guess stopping for a second isn't enough. Damn $230 ticket. It's all a load of bull if you ask me.
    I got a ticket once. I ran an orange light. As in not quite red, not quite yellow.

It was really an accident. It was a street I didn't usually got through. I didn't know the light was there. By the time I noticed the yellow light, I was halfway across the street, hit the brakes, then realized I was already through, and hit the gas pedal again to get out of the way. If I hadn't hit the brakes I might have made it through before it turned red. Cop was right there in front of the light.

Oh, well.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2010-10-13 at 07:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    I got a ticket once. I ran an orange light. As in not quite red, not quite yellow.

It was really an accident. It was a street I didn't usually got through. I didn't know the light was there. By the time I noticed the yellow light, I was halfway across the street, hit the brakes, then realized I was already through, and hit the gas pedal again to get out of the way. If I hadn't hit the brakes I might have made it through before it turned red. Cop was right there in front of the light.

Oh, well.
    Where I come from, we call those pink. You know, when the light first lights up and it's a really faint light.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    Crae is the bestest daddy,
    I make avatars, all you have to do is ask, and I'll do it if I can.
    My Awards
    I've got a Formspring, ask me questions if you want.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Firbolg in the Playground

even the most recent posts can't be considered an established N.
    This is where we disagree.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

6. - Top - End - #906
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rae Artemi View Post
    Where I come from, we call those pink. You know, when the light first lights up and it's a really faint light.
    They're different... for example, in the US when I drove there last time, I noticed that lights didn't flash. In Mexico, the green light flashes before turning yellow.

We don't see the "faint light", though, never seen it myself.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2010-10-13 at 08:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #907

They're different... for example, in the US when I drove there last time, I noticed that lights didn't flash. In Mexico, the green light flashes before turning yellow.

We don't see the "faint light", though, never seen it myself.
    That's probably because it happens really fast. Like how when you're turning on a light bulb and for a split second it isn't as bright as it can be.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

That could be deceiving...

(psst, how do I say [write really] "Why am I up here" in German)
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

9. - Top - End - #909

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    This is where we disagree.
    There can be most recently discussed subjects, but there is not an established N.

Dropping the N/ON nomenclature for a moment, you need to present news, or be involved in the presentation of news, in order to present "other" news, news that is different to the news you have presented or been involved in the presentation of.

If you walk into a room, where several different groups are all talking amongst themselves, then make an announcement without making any effort to integrate yourself in any of the conversations, you don't start the conversation by saying "in other news", nor are you presenting "other" news - you have not established any news for this news to be "other" from.

If, on the other hand, you are careful to involve yourself in the current discussion (which could potentially be by body language alone), you can establish the news you are discussing, then you can present news that is "other" to the news you have established that you are discussing.

In other news:
    The Evolution of Dance - Transformed

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

10. - Top - End - #910

Quote Originally Posted by Bandil View Post
    That could be deceiving...

(psst, how do I say [write really] "Why am I up here" in German)
    My German isn't too great, but I believe it would be "Warum bin Ich Hinauf?"
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ogre in the Playground

My German isn't too great, but I believe it would be "Warum bin Ich Hinauf?"
    Danke.

(mine isn't either )
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

12. - Top - End - #912

Quote Originally Posted by Bandil View Post
    Danke.

(mine isn't either )
    You know, thinking on it, it might have been Herauf, not Hinauf. Yeah, it's herauf, because "Kommt Herauf" means come up here.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, thinking on it, it might have been Herauf, not Hinauf. Yeah, it's herauf, because "Kommt Herauf" means come up here.
    Oh, okay

Thanks
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

<3

14. - Top - End - #914
    Troll in the Playground

If that's the case, then it should be spelled 'hierauf'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

15. - Top - End - #915

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    If that's the case, then it should be spelled 'hierauf'.
    Oh, all right then. I'm only in German two, and my German class focuses on speaking the language, not writing it, so thanks for correcting me. I learned some German today at least.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

16. - Top - End - #916
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, all right then. I'm only in German two, and my German class focuses on speaking the language, not writing it, so thanks for correcting me. I learned some German today at least.
    I did three years of German about 20 years ago. I don't know a whole lot of it, but I'm pretty sure of the spelling bit. I didn't have a clue what the phrase was, but once I saw it, it looked correct. Except the spelling, then.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, well.
    It always seems that a cop has to be right there when you make a mistake I almost always come to a complete stop. I guess I will have to be a heck of a lot more careful in the future. I really hope my parents don't find out or else I'm in deep ****.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

It always seems that a cop has to be right there when you make a mistake I almost always come to a complete stop. I guess I will have to be a heck of a lot more careful in the future. I really hope my parents don't find out or else I'm in deep ****.
    In my experience, it's better to tell them about it rather than trying to hide it.
    It always comes back one way or the other, and when they find out from someone else, it might be worse than if you own up to it and tell them what happened, from your viewpoint instead of them gettign second or third hand information from others.

I've had three tickets in the 18 years I've had a licence. Two speeding tickets and one for talking on the phone while driving.

One of the speeding tickets was a manual speed check at a spot where the speed limit drops from 90km/h (55mph-ish) to 70km/h (45mph-ish) for about 300 yards before turning back to 90, and they were standing there with their laser gun. Stupid mistake by me.

Second speeding ticket was me driving in an unfamiliar city, trying to find my way to get to a hotel and folowing the flow of the traffic, not realising the speed limit had dropped to 30mph. Stationary speed camera caught me.

The talking on the phone ticket was because I was running late and called my pals to tell them I was on my way, but would be late. Just as I finished the call, I drove past a parking lot exit, where a police car just happened to leave the parking lot at the same time, so they spotted it. Needless to say, I was even later to meeting up with my friends.
    Last edited by KuReshtin; 2010-10-13 at 09:03 PM.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

In my experience, it's better to tell them about it rather than trying to hide it.
    It always comes back one way or the other, and when they find out from someone else, it might be worse than if you own up to it and tell them what happened, from your viewpoint instead of them gettign second or third hand information from others.

I've had three tickets in the 18 years I've had a licence. Two speeding tickets and one for talking on the phone while driving.

One of the speeding tickets was a manual speed check at a spot where the speed limit drops from 90km/h (55mph-ish) to 70km/h (45mph-ish) for about 300 yards before turning back to 90, and they were standing there with their laser gun. Stupid mistake by me.

Second speeding ticket was me driving in an unfamiliar city, trying to find my way to get to a hotel and folowing the flow of the traffic, not realising the speed limit had dropped to 30mph. Stationary speed camera caught me.

The talking on the phone ticket was because I was running late and called my pals to tell them I was on my way, but would be late. Just as I finished the call, I drove past a parking lot exit, where a police car just happened to leave the parking lot at the same time, so they spotted it. Needless to say, I was even later to meeting up with my friends.
    Your probably right about telling them. It would definitely be a painful experience though Especially since my dad is mister perfect driver.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Troll in the Playground

Your probably right about telling them. It would definitely be a painful experience though Especially since my dad is mister perfect driver.
    My dad was the same way when I got the first speeding ticket. I figured he'd be really p'd off about me getting caught, but as I told him the circumstances and that it was an honest mistake, he was ok about it.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

I had just watched the latest episode of The IT Crowd. The overnumerousness of the jokes astounded me.
    Season 3 or 4?
    I watched a bit of the newer episodes, and was left feeling a bit disappointed. They nowhere near approach the excellence that were the season 1 and 2 episodes.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

My dad was the same way when I got the first speeding ticket. I figured he'd be really p'd off about me getting caught, but as I told him the circumstances and that it was an honest mistake, he was ok about it.
    The fact that it's $230 is the real problem. Well that and the fact that they will see on my credit card statement that I just spent $80 on a game. I was going to have a bit of trouble not getting them worked up about that.

Oh well I'll just have to deal with it.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

My parents were mightily pissed when I received my first ticket infringement (public transport fine); fortunately they paid for me, but also contemplated dangerous intentions.
    and eternity in an hour.

24. - Top - End - #924

Quote Originally Posted by Amiel View Post
    Season 3 or 4?
    I watched a bit of the newer episodes, and was left feeling a bit disappointed. They nowhere near approach the excellence that were the season 1 and 2 episodes.
    Season 100. But honestly, I was just trying to fit the word "overnumerousness" in the post.

25. - Top - End - #925

Hey guys!

*Free Hugs*

Because I'm happy. I have the Amelie Soundtrack. And it is so beautiful, and it's making me happy

Also, I found the second page of a piece of music I've been looking for for ages. Like, I have the rest of the piece, but I lost the second page. Now I can play it again :)

/flees for music lesson.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Banned

Congrats! I love it when I find a piece of music I've wanted for ages. Hope it brings you tons of joy!

And thanks for the free hug! *hugs back*

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't stop watching MST3K shorts.

It's addicting.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

Season 100. But honestly, I was just trying to fit the word "overnumerousness" in the post.
    Nice

Also, yay hugs!

Incidently, what does everyone think of my avatar?
    and eternity in an hour.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

It has been previously established that RB has no topic and that it is impossible to be off-topic.
    I'm taking that as a personal challenge!

anyone know why there are 2 "i hate bot check" threads... are the bots rebelling?

Edit: Damn, just realised i've left my lunch at home...
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2010-10-14 at 07:29 AM. Reason: removed question that may be conscrued as religious or offensive
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

30. - Top - End - #930

Well, I was slightly hung over from games night with my wife (boardgames and wine) when my boss here offered me some home-brewed beer. Hard to say no but two beers later my concentration was not optimal. Just had something to eat and in control again. Weird situation to be in actually.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!