New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default From Photoshop to GIMP

Since I now have Linux on my computer, I have been giving GIMP a try. And so far I am not happy at all.

The main annoyance is, that in photoshop I could make a layer transparent, select a section and use "free transform" to adjust it to the exact size I need. I could also make the selection move around by holding ctrl, so the outlines match with things on the other layer. Like for example when I would overlay one map over another.

Now in Gimp, I can free transform the size of a layer, but then it stops being transparent and I can no longer she the layer below it. Also, I can not adjust the position, because for that I have to switch from the resize tool to the move tool, which makes the adjustment I did so far disappear.
    Even if I just want to move one object on a layer to another, I can't just select it and then hold ctrl to move the selected object on its layer. I first have to select it, then turn the selection into a new layer, switch to the move tool, move it to the position I want, and then remerge it with the other layer. In photoshop I can play around with rearranging positions simply by using the select tool and holding and releasing the ctrl button.

And then all the time the object suddenly disappears completely and I can't get it back.

And when I want to go a step back, I have to switch the layer-list to the History-list, and then back again to work on the layers. In photoshop, I can have both sharing that space, one below the other.

Is there something like that in GIMP and I just don't find the keys for that, or should I use a different image editor?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: From Photoshop to GIMP

Word of warning: I have no practical Photoshop experience and my GIMP experience is self-taught; I may not be doing things the right way, or the way anyone else might expect them to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    The main annoyance is, that in photoshop I could make a layer transparent, select a section and use "free transform" to adjust it to the exact size I need. I could also make the selection move around by holding ctrl, so the outlines match with things on the other layer. Like for example when I would overlay one map over another.

Now in Gimp, I can free transform the size of a layer, but then it stops being transparent and I can no longer she the layer below it. Also, I can not adjust the position, because for that I have to switch from the resize tool to the move tool, which makes the adjustment I did so far disappear.
    Even if I just want to move one object on a layer to another, I can't just select it and then hold ctrl to move the selected object on its layer. I first have to select it, then turn the selection into a new layer, switch to the move tool, move it to the position I want, and then remerge it with the other layer. In photoshop I can play around with rearranging positions simply by using the select tool and holding and releasing the ctrl button.
    What I've been able to do is make a rectangular section, then I use the Scale tool. Then I can drag it around to resize/position as I see fit, or drag the center to move the entire thing. When I tell it to scale, it moves the section into a floating object, and I can make it its own layer or anchor it back to the original layer.

Don't know why you'd be losing transparency, though.

And then all the time the object suddenly disappears completely and I can't get it back.
    Honestly, I've never understood how objects are supposed to work. I always work with their layers; discovering that using "new layer" while an object is active makes the new layer out of the object is probably the biggest single time saver I've come across.

And when I want to go a step back, I have to switch the layer-list to the History-list, and then back again to work on the layers. In photoshop, I can have both sharing that space, one below the other.

Is there something like that in GIMP and I just don't find the keys for that, or should I use a different image editor?
    You could have the undo history (or the layers) in a separate utility window; Windows->Dockable Dialogs on the menu bar. Then you could have them both onscreen at once.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I'd suggest installing Inkscape or just trying if it is installed. It's what I use and I know many other people who use it hereabouts.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

For the love of all that is sacred, stay away from GIMP. Unless you are willing to spend dozens of hours learning it (since it's essentially completely different from photoshop and not at all self-explanatory), you'd have a much better time looking for an open-source alternative, an online tool, or even running photoshop with Wine or on a virtual machine.
    Divinely masterful avatar by Ceika. The Four Voices of Esto.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GIMP is good for making animations, but I've had similar layer transparency problems when drawing with it. I prefer using Paint.NET if I for some reason can't get it done in Inkscape.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

After scaling an image to a different size in the G.I.M.P. what I do is go to the Layer List and alternate-mouse-click on that layer. A new menu comes up and I choose the Anchor Layer option. [ Control + H ] is the HotKey for it. [ Shift + Control + N ] is for making a New Layer out of a non-anchored one.

There's also an option there Layer To Image Size. This aligns the yellow bounding box lines where they should be.

Linux and other open-source programs tend to be heavy in the HotKeys. I recommend reading the manual.

Also, every layer has an Opacity dial. It's located just above the Layer List. It should set the transparency of any layer, including those not anchored, at any time. In the Edit menu list there is an option: Keyboard Shortcuts. Many are disabled including the Opacity options. The good news is that you can probably custom-make your own HotKeys that way, if that kind of thing interests you, Yora.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-07-31 at 02:07 AM. Reason: To Make This Post More Informative!