New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive, and taking requests!

•Spelling Errors: Unholly, Scoin,
    •Format errors: There's a gap in your table, you didn't capitalize all ability names in the table (and elsewhere),
    In herrors of horror it says UNHOLY SCION, so it is spelled correctly
    I work on those and thank for the picture it will work
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    In herrors of horror it says UNHOLY SCION, so it is spelled correctly
    I work on those and thank for the picture it will work
    Er, I was pointing out that you mistakenly used the words Unholly (twice) and Scoin (once?) in your entry.

3. - Top - End - #333

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    Er, I was pointing out that you mistakenly used the words Unholly (twice) and Scoin (once?) in your entry.
    well then i should really have my glasses check
    *shoots glases at the other side of the room*
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-09 at 09:34 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #334
    Orc in the Playground

Seems really weak at 1st level.
    Agreed. Ive been thinking of ways to step it up.

I'd reword healing fire from "Whenever the Phoelarch takes damage from an attack which deals fire damage, instead of taking no damage, he instead..." to "Whenever the Phoelarch would suffer fire damage, he instead..."

This is a bit confusing though, since it's already established in the 'Phoelarch Body' that he takes no damage from fire.
    I did see that when writing it. apparently I didn't take appropriate measures to prevent confusion. I apologize. I try and clear that up.

I see abuse potential in healing fire. A player could keep a torch or lantern on their person to intentionally damage themselves and bring themselves up to 10 hitpoints higher than their maximum between every encounter.

You could Specify 'damaged from a hostile source' to prevent most abuse, but still not ideal.

In any case, I'd change the max on temporary hitpoints to, say, twice the player's Con bonus. Scales better.
    I see the potential as well, I think on it. Though I think I might just add in the bit about it having to be fire from a hostile source. While it's, like you said, not ideal, it should be sufficient.

Rise from the Ashes, at a glance, looks like a pretty hefty class penalty. Am I not reading it right?

Is there no way to regain humanoid form?
    The original creature has no way reverting to humanoid form. If the Phoelarch is lucky enough to retain its memories after being reborn then it could transform back into its original form via wish or miracle or some other magic. If it doesn't retain them then the character dies like any other; except that the body turns into a bird and flies away. I could add in a bit about the Phoelarch being able to maintain egg form as long as it wishes. That would put resurrection off of a time limit. Tell me what you think.

Death 'Throws' is probably better named Death Throes, which is the proper term.

Not sure if I like third level. Both abilities are based around the player dying, which is something best avoided.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure throes is appropriate in this case. It means spasm or struggle. I apologize for third level, but death is sort of a theme with the monster

Breath of Fire is weak. I might suggest a 1d4 round wait between breaths, which would allow more room for metabreath feats. The damage could stand to scale faster.
    Can do, I'll scale it up. I didn't want it to be on a use per day limit because, to be frank, I'm not a huge fan of them. But I also didn't want the Phoelarch spamming the breath weapon or whatever.

Fiery Wings packs way too many restrictions into the ability. Other classes get actual flight at the same level. If you don't want the Phoelarch to become a 'always flying above the battlefield' kind of character, perhaps alternate uses of the Fiery Wings ability?
    Hmmm...well the original phoelarch cannot fly. Not sure why I added it in. Perhaps I'll remove it and just give them the a number of uses of the Fiery Wings spell of Oriental Adventures. More likely I'll just remove it all together.

As a capstone ability, Blessing of the Firebird isn't that exciting. A +1 luck bonus is pretty similar to a Bless spell, which is a first level spell.
    Well, you could think of it as like bless, but I though of it as the Phoelarch being able to pass around as many 20,000 dollar magic items as it has HD. Would it improve things if I made it scale with the phoelarchs HD? or should I just scrap the whole ability and get a new capstone?

5. - Top - End - #335

Quote Originally Posted by AustontheGreat1 View Post
    The original creature has no way reverting to humanoid form. If the Phoelarch is lucky enough to retain its memories after being reborn then it could transform back into its original form via wish or miracle or some other magic. If it doesn't retain them then the character dies like any other; except that the body turns into a bird and flies away. I could add in a bit about the Phoelarch being able to maintain egg form as long as it wishes. That would put resurrection off of a time limit. Tell me what you think.
    The problem is the sheer number of penalties after one uses the ability. They lose a level, for one. Then they lose the ability to use most of their equipment. They can't perform fine manipulation, but they don't get the beefy stuff that other clumsy beasts (like Wyvern, Griffon) get to compensate.

I would suggest that the Phoelarch gradually change back to human form thereafter. Perhaps with experience, or with time. It retains the disincentive to throw away one's life, but doesn't 'ruin' the character.

Actually, I'm pretty sure throes is appropriate in this case. It means spasm or struggle. I apologize for third level, but death is sort of a theme with the monster
    Yes. Throes is correct. You had it down as 'Throws', and I was aiming to correct.

Well, you could think of it as like bless, but I though of it as the Phoelarch being able to pass around as many 20,000 dollar magic items as it has HD. Would it improve things if I made it scale with the phoelarchs HD? or should I just scrap the whole ability and get a new capstone?
    Well, wow. Didn't know that kind of item existed. I gather it doesn't take up a magic item slot? Like, you can keep it anywhere on your person? That would make it worthwhile, I guess.

But I guess my complaint would be that players are generally selfish creatures, and an ability that helps the rest of the team and not them isn't that fantastic.

What if the 'gift' gave the player a bonus related to the activities of the gifted? So you give the gifts to fellow party members and major allies of the group, and then you get some general bonus that feeds off of their successes?

The Phoelarch really doesn't have an identity. I can't really picture a Phoelarch with a game plan in a typical group. Hang back & unload with breath, casts? Remember that Evocation is the weakest school of magic, and the Phoelarch as written is pretty much a sorta-tough Evoker restricted to fire damage (which is an issue unto itself). By the time you're a higher level, most enemies won't die easily to hp damage. Encounters will be decided, rather, with save or die/lose/suck effects. At this point in the game, the Phoelarch's largest contribution to the group is looking to be... what? The +1 luck bonus?

Really needs an concept to run with.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Orc in the Playground

The problem is the sheer number of penalties after one uses the ability. They lose a level, for one. Then they lose the ability to use most of their equipment. They can't perform fine manipulation, but they don't get the beefy stuff that other clumsy beasts (like Wyvern, Griffon) get to compensate.

I would suggest that the Phoelarch gradually change back to human form thereafter. Perhaps with experience, or with time. It retains the disincentive to throw away one's life, but doesn't 'ruin' the character.
    In the beginning I considered having each death cause the creature to switch forms. I didn't because the original creature doesn't. Then I pondered having the Capstone be an alternate form ability, allowing the creature to switch back and forth. What do you think?

Yes. Throes is correct. You had it down as 'Throws', and I was aiming to correct.
    My mistake.

Well, wow. Didn't know that kind of item existed. I gather it doesn't take up a magic item slot? Like, you can keep it anywhere on your person? That would make it worthwhile, I guess.

But I guess my complaint would be that players are generally selfish creatures, and an ability that helps the rest of the team and not them isn't that fantastic.

What if the 'gift' gave the player a bonus related to the activities of the gifted? So you give the gifts to fellow party members and major allies of the group, and then you get some general bonus that feeds off of their successes?
    I wouldn't know how to implement the ability; at least the bit about it being specific to the gifted's action. A bonus for each feather given out wouldn't be hard. Tell me how you would go about doing it, the specific version. What should it do?

The Phoelarch really doesn't have an identity. I can't really picture a Phoelarch with a game plan in a typical group. Hang back & unload with breath, casts? Remember that Evocation is the weakest school of magic, and the Phoelarch as written is pretty much a sorta-tough Evoker restricted to fire damage (which is an issue unto itself). By the time you're a higher level, most enemies won't die easily to hp damage. Encounters will be decided, rather, with save or die/lose/suck effects. At this point in the game, the Phoelarch's largest contribution to the group is looking to be... what? The +1 luck bonus?

Really needs an concept to run with.
    I thought it would be a melee combatant that also uses fire to aid it. I guess I didn't do that very well. Maybe I should switch it full BAB, and maybe throw in some stuff giving it access to Desert Wind Manuevers? Or have the levels stack with classes that have access to the desert wind discipline?

On a side note, I'm glad to see you posting again on this thread. To be honest, you were the one I've always respected the opinion of the most here.

7. - Top - End - #337

Daemon

Arrow Demon

Class
    Spoiler
    Show

HD: d8
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+ 1|+0 |+2 | +0| 6-limbed body, Close Combat Shot, +1 Dex, +1 Con
    2|+ 2|+0 |+ 3| +0|Demon, Abyssal Skin, +1 Str,
    3|+ 3|+ 1|+3| +1|Symmetrical Archery, +1 Dex,
    4|+ 4|+ 1|+ 4| +1| Oversized Arms, +1 Str,
    5|+ 5|+ 1|+ 4| +1|Powerful Shot, +1 Dex,
    6|+ 6|+ 2|+5| +2|Strong Legs, Cleaving Shot, +1 Str, +1 Dex
    7|+ 7|+ 2|+ 5| +2|Dimension Door, True Shot, +1 Str, +1 Con[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons, as well as the shortbow, longbow and greatbow.

Skills: 4 + Int modifier. Balance, Bluff, Craft, Climb, Concentration, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot.

1st Level:
    6-limbed body: You lose all previous racial bonuses and gain outsider traits (Darkvision 60ft) and a base land speed of 30ft.
    You have 4 arms, but 2 of them are currently too weak to be useable.
    You gain a natural armour bonus equal to your constitution modifier.
    Close Combat Shot: You do not provoke attacks of opportunity for firing a ranged weapon in melee. In addition, you threaten the area within your reach as though armed with a melee weapon.

Ability Score Increases: Your dexterity increases by 1 at 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th levels. (+4 overall)
    Your constitution increases by 1 at 1st and 7th levels. (+2 overall)
    Your strength increases by 1 at 2nd, 4th, 6th and 7th levels. (+4 overall)

2nd Level:
    Demon: You gain telepathy equal to 30ft + 10ft per HD. You gain resistance to electricity equal to your HD and an equal bonus on saves against poison. You gain resistance to acid, cold and fire equal to half your HD.

Abyssal Skin: You gain DR/good or cold iron equal to half your HD. At 10 HD, this becomes DR/good and cold iron. You gain SR equal to 11 + your HD.

3rd Level:

Symmetrical Archery: Your second pair of arms is finally strong enough to be useable. You may now wield weapons in all four of your hands. Any time the Arrow Demon could make an attack with a bow, it may elect to attack with both bows, but takes a -2 to attack rolls for that round.

4th Level:
    Oversized Arms: You gain Powerful Build and can now wield weapons of one size category larger than you.

5th Level:

Powerful Shot: You can now add your full strength bonus to any bow you wield, and 1.5x your strength bonus to any bow which could normally apply your full strength bonus. You may also choose to take a penalty to your attack roll in order to recieve an equal bonus to your damage roll, similar to the Power Attack feat.

6th Level:
    Strong Legs: Your base land speed increases by 10ft.
    Cleaving Shot: If you drop an enemy with an arrow, you may roll to attack another target stood behind him. Range is calculated from you, and the fallen enemy must be in a line between you and the target.

7th Level:
    Dimension Door: You gain Dimension Door as an SLA useable once each day/3 HD you have.
    True Shot: You may ignore cover (but not total cover, concealment or total concealment), and penalties due to weather or the Wind Wall spell.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wanted an arrow demon, so I thought I'd make it. PM me with any critiques. It culminates with the ability to properly use both arms followed by the ability to never be eaten while doing so. 4th level's a little bare, so suggestions for that are welcome.

Changes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Added more special abilities, reduced uses of dimension door, changed resistances, changed saves, moved Symmetrical Shooting down a few levels.
    Changed Rapid Shot for True Shot.
    Last edited by Cogidubnus; 2010-10-14 at 11:35 AM.
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338
    Orc in the Playground

For your viewing pleasure, the Dream Larvae:

All thanks to Domochevsky for the epic avatar

My Creed
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illic est haud affectus, illic est hunger.
    There est haud ignarus, illic est hunger.
    There est haud perturbatio, illic est hunger.
    There est haud chaos, illic est hunger.
    There est haud nex, illic est Hive.

Δεν υπάρχει συναίσθημα, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει άγνοια, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει πάθος, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει χάος, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει θάνατος, υπάρχει το Καταφύγιο.

9. - Top - End - #339

Hmm, I'd like to put in a request for the Horrid Monster and Deathless templates.
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroticPunch View Post
    For your viewing pleasure, the Dream Larvae:

So you maybe want to stay out of cities if you play one

Any final critique on the Titan?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

11. - Top - End - #341

Quote Originally Posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    Arrow Demon

Class
    Spoiler
    Show

1|+ 1|+2 |+2 | +2| 6-limbed body, +2 Dex, +1 Con
    2|+ 2|+3 |+ 3| +3|Demon, Abyssal Skin, +1 Str,
    3|+ 3|+ 3|+3| +3|Close Combat Shot, +1 Dex,
    4|+ 4|+ 4|+ 4| +4| Spell Resistance +1 Str, +1 Con
    5|+ 5|+ 4|+ 4| +4|Oversized Arms, Strong Legs, +1 Str, +1 Dex,
    6|+ 6|+ 5|+5| +5|Symmetrical Archery, +1 Dex
    7|+ 7|+ 5|+ 5| +5|Dimension Door, Rapid Shot +1 Str
    [/table]

1st Level:
    6-limbed body: You lose all previous racial bonuses and gain outsider traits (Darkvision 60ft) and a base land speed of 30ft.
    You have 4 arms, but two of them are too weak to be usable yet.

Ability Score Increases: Your dexterity increases by 2 at first level and 1 at 3rd, 5th and 6th levels.
    Your constitution increases by 1 at 1st and 5th levels.
    Your strength increases by 1 at 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th levels.

2nd Level:
    Demon: You gain telepathy equal to 30ft + 10ft per HD. You gain resistance to electricity equal to your HD + 2, and an equal bonus on your saves against poison. At 15th HD, this maxes to become immunity. You also gain resistance to acid, cold and fire equal to your HD.

Abyssal Skin: You gain DR/good or cold iron equal to half your HD. At 10 HD, this becomes DR/good and cold iron.

3rd Level:

Close Combat Shot: You do not provoke attacks of opportunity for firing a ranged weapon in melee. In addition, you threaten the area within your reach as though armed with a melee weapon.

4th Level:
    Spell Resistance: You gain SR equal to 11 + your HD.

5th Level:
    Oversized Arms: Your arms grow in strength, allowing you to wield bows one size category larger than yourself.

6th Level:
    Symmetrical Archery: Your second pair of arms is finally strong enough to be useable. You may now wield weapons in all four of your hands. If you choose to wield two bows, you take no penalties for wielding multiple weapons other than -2 to all attack rolls, and you may use both bows any time you may make a single attack, even where it would not normally be allowed.

7th Level:
    Dimension Door: You gain Dimension Door as an SLA useable once each day/HD you have.
    Rapid Shot: You gain rapid shot as a bonus feat. If you already have rapid shot, you may replace it with another feat, as though you had just gained that feat.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wanted an arrow demon, so I thought I'd make it. PM me with any critiques. It culminates with the ability to properly use both arms followed by the ability to never be eaten while doing so. 4th level's a little bare, so suggestions for that are welcome.
    first thing the abilitys are in bold not the levels take them out(6th level,1st level)
    there's an extra ligne at the table take it out.
    it should get good reflex save, bad will and fort

it seems that it has only 4 arms and say when it is able to get other ones

it should have point black shot, maybe the first ability but no threaten the area with you bow

You gain resistance to electricity equal to your HD + 2, and an equal bonus on your saves against poison. At 15th HD, this maxes to become immunity. You also gain resistance to acid, cold and fire equal to your HD
    electricity=Hd
    acid, cold and fire =1/2hd

Oversized Arms: Your arms grow in strength, allowing you to wield bows one size category larger than yourself.
    Strong Legs: Your base land speed increases by 10ft
    give it powerful build and keep the strong legs

Dimension Door: You gain Dimension Door as an SLA useable once each day/HD you have.
    should be 1 time per 4hd
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-10 at 11:49 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342

Quote Originally Posted by AustontheGreat1 View Post
    In the beginning I considered having each death cause the creature to switch forms. I didn't because the original creature doesn't. Then I pondered having the Capstone be an alternate form ability, allowing the creature to switch back and forth. What do you think?
    I think it's a decent idea, but the alternate form needs a bit more oomph to carry its own weight.

I wouldn't know how to implement the ability; at least the bit about it being specific to the gifted's action. A bonus for each feather given out wouldn't be hard. Tell me how you would go about doing it, the specific version. What should it do?
    Just off the top of my head, a few rounds of a Heroism effect every time a gift-carrying ally drops a foe that's worth experience in combat.

I thought it would be a melee combatant that also uses fire to aid it. I guess I didn't do that very well. Maybe I should switch it full BAB, and maybe throw in some stuff giving it access to Desert Wind Manuevers? Or have the levels stack with classes that have access to the desert wind discipline?
    Full BAB makes sense. Desert Wind Maneuvers could work, but it might add up to a lot of bookkeeping if you consider the SLAs as well.

On a side note, I'm glad to see you posting again on this thread. To be honest, you were the one I've always respected the opinion of the most here.
    Thank you kindly. I worry, sometimes, that I come across too harsh and people groan whenever I post a critique/comment.

Arrow Demon
    • Proficiencies?
    • Skills?
    • HD size?
    • Helps if you state the total of the stat bonuses for taking the full # of levels in the class.
    • 1st, 2nd levels are kind of boring. Nothing action based (just passive defensive bonuses), no natural attacks, etc.
    • 3rd level isn't terribly exciting, again. It's not really a game changing dynamic.
    • SR could be coupled with the DR as a single ability, leaving room for something else.
    • It's only at 5th level that we really start getting into the stuff that makes the Arrow Demon distinct. These are good, but it feels like the larger bow comes a little too late.
    • The 6th level ability, Symmetrical Archery, might be better treated as the Gorgon's Gaze was. Give a lesser version of it earlier on (it's the arrow demon's trademark, after all, and liable to be the reason people want to play an Arrow Demon), with a bigger penalty, and then have later abilities reduce the penalties and offer more options.
    • Dimension Door & Rapid Shot both add up to a significant boost in strength. Mildly concerned the Dimension Door is a little too available (20 uses a day at 20th level?). Might need to be toned down.

Suggestions for abilities:
    • The ability to add strength to damage, even on bows where it wouldn't normally allow, and +1.5 Str bonus to damage on bows where it would.
    • The ability to Power Attack with bow shots.
    • The ability to Cleave (in straight lines) with bow shots.
    • Infernal Arbalest - At Xth level, the Arrow Demon can use two hands to draw back its bow to the limits of the weapon's capability, unleashing a shot with incredible power behind it. This ability requires two rounds to use, and produces a shot with double the range (range penalties are adjusted appropriately) and damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sciencepanda
    Hmm, I'd like to put in a request for the Horrid Monster and Deathless templates.
    Both could be really interesting if done right. I might tackle the Horrid Monster. I quite like templates as a way to customize one's monster.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-10-10 at 12:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343

Daemon

first thing the abilitys are in bold not the levels take them out(6th level,1st level)
    *snip*
    it should get good reflex save, bad will and fort

it seems that it has only 4 arms and say when it is able to get other ones

it should have point black shot, maybe the first ability but no threaten the area with you bow

electricity=Hd
    acid, cold and fire =1/2hd

give it powerful build and keep the strong legs

should be 1 time per 4hd
    Is this supposed to be weaker than taking the LA? Cos with those changes, it seriously is.

Adressing in order: Explain what you mean about the abilities, I don't understand.
    The monster has perfect saves, so I just used those. Can be changed.
    Do you mean say when the arms become available in the level 1 post?
    One of this monster's key abilities (other than symmetrical archery) is shooting in melee.
    I can change the resistances.
    It's only supposed to be competent with oversizes bows, not all weapons.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Titans are only supposed to use hammers, but that's a rule for these classes. Roll with it.

All Outsiders get Full BAB and all good Saves by SRD rules, that's unbalancing when used as character classes. If you keep full BAB give them only 1 good Save.

Also a distinct lack of skill info in the class.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

15. - Top - End - #345

Arrow Demon

Class
    Spoiler
    Show

1|+ 1|+2 |+2 | +2| 6-limbed body, +2 Dex, +1 Con
    2|+ 2|+3 |+ 3| +3|Demon, Abyssal Skin, +1 Str,
    3|+ 3|+ 3|+3| +3|Close Combat Shot, +1 Dex,
    4|+ 4|+ 4|+ 4| +4| Spell Resistance +1 Str, +1 Con
    5|+ 5|+ 4|+ 4| +4|Oversized Arms, Strong Legs, +1 Str, +1 Dex,
    6|+ 6|+ 5|+5| +5|Symmetrical Archery, +1 Dex
    7|+ 7|+ 5|+ 5| +5|Dimension Door, Rapid Shot +1 Str
    [/table]

Ability Score Increases: Your dexterity increases by 2 at first level and 1 at 3rd, 5th and 6th levels.
    Your constitution increases by 1 at 1st and 5th levels.
    Your strength increases by 1 at 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th levels.

Demon: You gain telepathy equal to 30ft + 10ft per HD. You gain resistance to electricity equal to your HD + 2, and an equal bonus on your saves against poison. At 15th HD, this maxes to become immunity. You also gain resistance to acid, cold and fire equal to your HD.

Abyssal Skin: You gain DR/good or cold iron equal to half your HD. At 10 HD, this becomes DR/good and cold iron.

Spell Resistance: You gain SR equal to 11 + your HD.

Oversized Arms
    : Your arms grow in strength, allowing you to wield bows one size category larger than yourself.

Symmetrical Archery: Your second pair of arms is finally strong enough to be useable. You may now wield weapons in all four of your hands. If you choose to wield two bows, you take no penalties for wielding multiple weapons other than -2 to all attack rolls, and you may use both bows any time you may make a single attack, even where it would not normally be allowed.

Rapid Shot: You gain rapid shot as a bonus feat. If you already have rapid shot, you may replace it with another feat, as though you had just gained that feat.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look at it. I fixed some thing a bit of things.
    Do you mean say when the arms become available in the level 1 post?
    at X hd the arrow demon gains use of all 4 of his arms

also there shouldnt be a +2 to dex first lv, theres no reason for it to be there.
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-10 at 12:12 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346

Daemon

Look at it. I fixed some thing a bit of things.

at X hd the arrow demon gains use of all 4 of his arms

also there shouldnt be a +2 to dex first lv, theres no reason for it to be there.
    I can't see what you've changed, so just explain it clearly please.

The dex at first level is simply cos he doesn't get much else.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #347

I edited my post above to list some comments about the arrow demon, reproduced here since quite a few posts came in the interim:

Arrow Demon
    • Proficiencies?
    • Skills?
    • HD size?
    • Helps if you state the total of the stat bonuses for taking the full # of levels in the class.
    • 1st, 2nd levels are kind of boring. Nothing action based (just passive defensive bonuses), no natural attacks, etc.
    • 3rd level isn't terribly exciting, again. It's not really a game changing dynamic.
    • SR could be coupled with the DR as a single ability, leaving room for something else.
    • It's only at 5th level that we really start getting into the stuff that makes the Arrow Demon distinct. These are good, but it feels like the larger bow comes a little too late.
    • The 6th level ability, Symmetrical Archery, might be better treated as the Gorgon's Gaze was. Give a lesser version of it earlier on (it's the arrow demon's trademark, after all, and liable to be the reason people want to play an Arrow Demon), with a bigger penalty, and then have later abilities reduce the penalties and offer more options.
    • Dimension Door & Rapid Shot both add up to a significant boost in strength. Mildly concerned the Dimension Door is a little too available (20 uses a day at 20th level?). Might need to be toned down.

Suggestions for abilities:
    • The ability to add strength to damage, even on bows where it wouldn't normally allow, and +1.5 Str bonus to damage on bows where it would.
    • The ability to Power Attack with bow shots.
    • The ability to Cleave (in straight lines) with bow shots.
    • Infernal Arbalest - At Xth level, the Arrow Demon can use two hands to draw back its bow to the limits of the weapon's capability, unleashing a shot with incredible power behind it. This ability requires two rounds to use, and produces a shot with double the range (range penalties are adjusted appropriately) and damage.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-10-10 at 12:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348

there are no
    First level
    second level ...

the abilitys are bolded
    4-limbed body
    Demon
    Abyssal Skin....

The dex at first level is simply cos he doesn't get much else
    unless the creature has 1 or two levels the +2 to abilty scores should be there and plus there are alot more creature that get less things than him and they dont have +2 ability scores
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-10 at 12:22 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349

Daemon

there are no
    First level
    second level ...

the abilitys are bolded
    4-limbed body
    Demon
    Abyssal Skin....

unless the creature has 1 or two levels the +2 to abilty scores should be there and plus there are alot more creature that get less things than him and they dont have +2 ability scores
    The reason I put the levels in is cos I've found the format a pain and often wanted things broken down by level. If people agree this isn't good, I'll change it. Ed: put the abilities in italics.

Added a few new abilities, but thinking of changing one of them around with symmetrical shooting.
    Last edited by Cogidubnus; 2010-10-10 at 12:39 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't mind the level thing, it makes it easier to scan and see what it gets and where it gets them..
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

21. - Top - End - #351

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    I don't mind the level thing, it makes it easier to scan and see what it gets and where it gets them..
    This is true. In keeping with the traditional D&D format, I usually (and will likely continue to) just note the level the ability is gained in the first sentence of the text, while being careful to order the abilities right. It's frustrating when people don't do this.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree completely. So, I think the formatting is alright, but I guess that falls to the OP. In any case, I prefer it, but that is just my lowly opinion.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

23. - Top - End - #353

Horrid Monster
    Prestige/Template Monster Class
    Eberron Campaign Setting

Spoiler
    Show

Prerequisites:
    To become a Horrid Creature, a creature must fulfill the following requirements:
    • 4 or more HD.
    • At least one level in a monster class.
    • Natural Armor.
    • Any creature type but Aberration, Construct, Elemental, Fey, Humanoid (Monstrous Humanoid is fine), Ooze, Outsider or Undead.
    • Must have completed three of the following:
      • Been poisoned no less than ten times, or six times by three different poisons, suffering the full course of the poison without magical or divine aid each time. Magical or unnatural poisons count as two for the purposes of this prequisite.
      • Suffer an amount of Acid damage equal to the creature's own maximum hitpoints over the course of a single day.
      • Singlehandedly killed and then devoured a spellcaster. The spellcaster must have been of a level where killing it could grant experience to the creature.
      • Singlehandedly killed and devoured a dire animal or a pack of dire animals. The dire creatures must have been of a level where defeating them could grant experience to the creature.
      • Spent a continuous 24 hours under the effects of druidic transmutation spells. Persistent spells do not count.
      • Spent a consecutive week living in a distinctly magical and unfamiliar area, sustaining oneself entirely on what could be hunted in this area. This might include areas such as Eberron's Mournland, living in an area of the Nine Hells while still alive, and so on. Note that 'unfamiliar area' specifies an area that the creature isn't native to. Alternately, a creature could spend a month of nonconsecutive time living and hunting in such an area.

HD: D8
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will |Special
    1st|+0|+2|+2|+0| Horrid Body, Ravaging Weapon, Ill Tempered
    [/table]

Skill Points 4+Int per level
    Class Skill Skills: As Base Creature
    Proficiencies: Horrid Creatures gain a proficiency in armor spikes.

Horrid Body: Unlike other monster classes, the creature's original racial traits are retained. Horrid Creatures naturally heal damage, ability damage and the like at three times the natural rate. At 8HD, this becomes 5x the natural rate. At 12HD, this becomes 10x the natural rate. Finally, at 18HD, the Horrid Creature sheds all damage, ability damage, diseases, poisons and negative magical effects overnight. Horrid Creatures have either +2 natural armor in addition to any pre-existing natural armor, or natural armor equal to 1/2 their HD, whichever is higher. Furthermore, the creature grows thick spurs of armor and bone that count as Armor Spikes for all intents and purposes.

Ravaging Weapon: A 1st level Horrid Creature starts to shed a constant leakage of acid from their primary natural weapon. The creature does +1d6 acid damage with each attack from their primary weapon, and this increases by 1d6 for every 4HD the creature has. As a side effect, the Horrid Creature becomes immune to acid damage.

Ill Tempered: The Horrid Creature adds their Con bonus to attempts to resist mind control spells and effects, including charm, sleep, suggestion, and the like. Should the creature fail the saving throw regardless, the creature may elect to go berserk instead of suffering the spell effects. Treat this as Confusion, with a duration of whatever the averted spell or ability would have, but roll on the following table:
    {table=head]Result|Effect
    1-10|Roar incoherently and thrash, striking at any adjacent creatures or objects, and remaining stationary if no such target is available.
    11-30|Attack the caster of the effect, or approach the caster of the effect.
    31-60|Attack the nearest living creature.
    61-90|Act normally, but with a -2 to any non-attack rolls and to the DCs of any non-attack abilities used (DM's discretion).
    91-100|As 61-90, but the caster of the effect suffers a backlash, and must save against the spell at a -2 penalty or suffer its effects. For spells this would not readily apply (Suggestion, Dominate), the caster is instead left in a catatonic state, remaining standing and staring off into space, doing nothing to defend themselves.[/table]

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's not a lot of room to work, here, since it's a +1 CR template, which is a bit disappointing. The class basically builds itself, but I tried my hand at an alternate version of 'Ill Tempered', which should apply more to a player (who isn't liable to be the target of 'Handle Animal').

There were a couple of goals in terms of flavor. Namely, I wanted the prerequisites to fit the concept of the original Eberron creature - A transformation or weaponizing of a creature that could be performed intentionally by an enclave of druids. I also wanted to leave the option for a Horrid Creature to come about naturally - to leave room for stories where a dire wolf that plagues a village for years and kills every adventurer that comes after it, eventually becomes something a little more unnatural.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Noted on the second table under 91-100, that it otherwise functions as the 61-90 result.
    • Altered the backlash effect of Ill Tempered to cover any vaguer areas.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-10-11 at 12:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354

Looks good Hyudra. I like the effort you put into the prerequisites especially

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

25. - Top - End - #355

Daemon

Made quite a few changes to the Arrow Demon, so it might be more amenable to tastes now. Still not sure what to do about 7th level though.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356

Made quite a few changes to the Arrow Demon, so it might be more amenable to tastes now. Still not sure what to do about 7th level though.
    It looks pretty good overall, but I'm not sure I like the use of 4 arms straight from 1st level, or the proficiency with non-ranged weapons. Kind of de-emphasizes the creature's schtick.

27. - Top - End - #357

Daemon

It looks pretty good overall, but I'm not sure I like the use of 4 arms straight from 1st level, or the proficiency with non-ranged weapons. Kind of de-emphasizes the creature's schtick.
    I will remove the use of the arms at 1st now that you get them functioning earlier, actually.

As for simple melee weapons, I dunno. It's a martial creature - most ought to be able to defend themselves, I'd have thought. The picture has a sword, which was what made me give it (impressionable, I know.)

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358

As for simple melee weapons, I dunno. It's a martial creature - most ought to be able to defend themselves, I'd have thought. The picture has a sword, which was what made me give it (impressionable, I know.)
    Ah, that makes sense, then. Go with it.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Hyudra: You rule. Thanks for helping critique everything.
    To everyone concerned, treat Hyudra's word as good as my own, unless I specifically say otherwise. He(she?) knows what he(shi!) is doing. I don't necessarily think all of his(Hyudra's.) stuff is balanced (we're going to have a chat about monster of legend, you and I), but as a whole his(hur...) ability to make otherwise bland and plain monsters interesting & cool more than makes up for it.
    Anyways, I'm too tired to dig through all that stuff right now. And too hungry. Expect thorough critiques once I finish with lunch.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

30. - Top - End - #360
    Firbolg in the Playground

The SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig