New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default There's a greek-themed region in my world called Zuris. What to call its people?

"Zurisians" is what I'm rolling with for the time being but it doesn't look or sound very good.

Zuricians maybe? What's better? Is there a better option? It doesn't have to be a natural, intuitive looking conjugation of the word, it can be something completely different so long as it sort of stems from "Zur". Zuri? idk, maybe I should just change the name of the territory
    Last edited by Windrammer; 2016-04-21 at 10:37 PM.
    #MundaneLivesMatter

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: There's a greek-themed region in my world called Zuris. What to call its people?

"Zurians" could work, don't have any other ideas.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: There's a greek-themed region in my world called Zuris. What to call its people?

Zurites, Zurans, the Zurds, Zurists, the Zuritic people, Zurish, these are just a couple of ideas.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

So!
    I found on Wikipedia a list of Greco-Roman demonyms. (Demonym is, of course, the word you use to identify the people of a place.)
    Here.

There's a couple in the list that end with -is. So, this is what they've done:
    Chalcis => Chalcidians
    Colchis => Colchians
    Eleusis => Eleusians or Eleusinians
    Elis => Elians
    Locris => Locrians
    Phocis => Phocians
    Salamis => Salaminians
    Thespis => Thespians
    and finally, Atlantis => Atlanteans or Atlantans

So it looks like you could replace the -is with: -ians or -inians, (certain cases, with -idians, -eans, or -ans)
    Thus...
    Zurians or Zurinians would be what you should go with, but Zuridians, Zureans, or Zurans are also acceptable.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2016-04-22 at 01:27 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Well going off of greek in a way

Hellas greece (nominative)
    Hellada greece (accusative)
    Hellenika greek language
    Hellen a greek
    Hellenes greeks
    Hellenas a greek man
    Hellenida a greek woman
    Hellenikos/Hellenike/Helleniko greek (adjective)

all derived from Helloi who were a tribe of people
    they called the celts Keltoi, so maybe there is something to that -oi ending

So how about
    Zuroi the people in the ethnic sense
    Zuras the lands enhabited by the Zuroi people (nominative)
    Zurada the lands enhabited by the Zuroi people (accusative)
    Zurenika the language of the Zuroi
    Zuren a Zuroi
    Zurenes more than one Zuren (but not the people as a whole)
    Zurenas a Zurenikos man
    Zurenida a Zurenike woman
    Zurenikos/Zurenike/Zureniko something Zur-ish in nature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

-oi is the nominative plural of some masculine words. So is (among others) -a, -ai, -es.

For that reason, I would call them either Henry or Barry.
    Get on Stage: www.stage-rpg.com

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    "Zurians" could work, don't have any other ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardillamo View Post
    Zurites, Zurans, the Zurds, Zurists, the Zuritic people, Zurish, these are just a couple of ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    So!
    I found on Wikipedia a list of Greco-Roman demonyms. (Demonym is, of course, the word you use to identify the people of a place.)
    Here.

There's a couple in the list that end with -is. So, this is what they've done:
    Chalcis => Chalcidians
    Colchis => Colchians
    Eleusis => Eleusians or Eleusinians
    Elis => Elians
    Locris => Locrians
    Phocis => Phocians
    Salamis => Salaminians
    Thespis => Thespians
    and finally, Atlantis => Atlanteans or Atlantans

So it looks like you could replace the -is with: -ians or -inians, (certain cases, with -idians, -eans, or -ans)
    Thus...
    Zurians or Zurinians would be what you should go with, but Zuridians, Zureans, or Zurans are also acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balyano View Post
    Well going off of greek in a way

Hellas greece (nominative)
    Hellada greece (accusative)
    Hellenika greek language
    Hellen a greek
    Hellenes greeks
    Hellenas a greek man
    Hellenida a greek woman
    Hellenikos/Hellenike/Helleniko greek (adjective)

all derived from Helloi who were a tribe of people
    they called the celts Keltoi, so maybe there is something to that -oi ending

So how about
    Zuroi the people in the ethnic sense
    Zuras the lands enhabited by the Zuroi people (nominative)
    Zurada the lands enhabited by the Zuroi people (accusative)
    Zurenika the language of the Zuroi
    Zuren a Zuroi
    Zurenes more than one Zuren (but not the people as a whole)
    Zurenas a Zurenikos man
    Zurenida a Zurenike woman
    Zurenikos/Zurenike/Zureniko something Zur-ish in nature
    I ****ing love you guys. You gave me way more than I hoped for. This is fantastic.

I may go with Zurites for the time being but all of these are in consideration. You guys are badass.

If anyone can think of some greek sounding province names to place within this region I'd love to hear that too
    Last edited by Windrammer; 2016-04-22 at 01:25 PM.
    #MundaneLivesMatter

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windrammer View Post
    I ****ing love you guys. You gave me way more than I hoped for. This is fantastic.

I may go with Zurites for the time being but all of these are in consideration. You guys are badass.

If anyone can think of some greek sounding province names to place within this region I'd love to hear that too
    A lazy but effective way is to start with real life greek regions and play around till you get new names.

For instance:

Attica - sounds like attic > the opposite of attic is cellar > Cellara > maybe spell it Sellera > Sellera home of the Sellenes, maybe make them moon worshipers since it sounds like Selene

Macedonia - has the word mace in it > another kind of weapon is an axe > Axedonia a northern region of warlike people

Cyclades Islands - looks like cycle > one of the synonyms for cycle is a greek loan word aeon > Aeonades islands off the east coast

Sporades Islands - sounds like sporatic > regular is an antonymn of sporatic > Regules Islands north of Sellera

Dodecanese Islands - litterally twelve islands > Dozenese Islands (dont pronounce it like dozen, pronounce the do like do in do re mi fa so la ti and pronounce the zen like in zen buddhism)

Ionia - ions are a charged atom > Atomia (again dont pronounce it like atom, have the ''to'' be like english toe)

you can do cities in a similar way

Sparta - spar as in to practice fighting > skirmish > Skirma

Corinth - Korin the cat from dragon ball hung out with yajirobe > Iagirobinth (an alternative being core > shell > Shellinth)

Rhodes (Rodos) - roads > streets > Stritos - or paths > Pathos - or boulevard > Boulevos - or lane > Lanos - or route > Routos - or course > Corsos - my vote is for Boulevos, but there is something to be said for people living in Pathos

9. - Top - End - #9

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Greeks and other ancient Mediterranean people had a profussion of cities, many of which are now largely forgotten. I would look up a map of that part of the world in Ancient Greek times and look for a few you've never heard of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why be Evil when you can be Lawful?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Don't forget the Greeks had a thing for naming cities after people. Alexander the Great names something like thirty cities Alexandria, but only one of them end up famous.

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Balyano View Post
    A lazy but effective way is to start with real life greek regions and play around till you get new names.

For instance:

Attica - sounds like attic > the opposite of attic is cellar > Cellara > maybe spell it Sellera > Sellera home of the Sellenes, maybe make them moon worshipers since it sounds like Selene

Macedonia - has the word mace in it > another kind of weapon is an axe > Axedonia a northern region of warlike people

Cyclades Islands - looks like cycle > one of the synonyms for cycle is a greek loan word aeon > Aeonades islands off the east coast

Sporades Islands - sounds like sporatic > regular is an antonymn of sporatic > Regules Islands north of Sellera

Dodecanese Islands - litterally twelve islands > Dozenese Islands (dont pronounce it like dozen, pronounce the do like do in do re mi fa so la ti and pronounce the zen like in zen buddhism)

Ionia - ions are a charged atom > Atomia (again dont pronounce it like atom, have the ''to'' be like english toe)

you can do cities in a similar way

Sparta - spar as in to practice fighting > skirmish > Skirma

Corinth - Korin the cat from dragon ball hung out with yajirobe > Iagirobinth (an alternative being core > shell > Shellinth)

Rhodes (Rodos) - roads > streets > Stritos - or paths > Pathos - or boulevard > Boulevos - or lane > Lanos - or route > Routos - or course > Corsos - my vote is for Boulevos, but there is something to be said for people living in Pathos
    You're good at this. Might borrow some of this for the Greek-inspired region of my world.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

What I would do for greek location names:

http://fantasynamegenerators.com/anc...p#.V0R4pV_3anM