New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Gates of Heaven: Giving Celestia the Dicefreaks Treatment

I can't really speak for Silverscale, here, but I think he was just complementing you on your good joke-homebrew. As in "Oh well...[even though they will not be included] I still think they're cool."
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #572
    Colossus in the Playground

They are fun, really, but not something that should be included in a finished project if we go for more serious fluff. This is supposed to be more or less generic, and I don't think many DMs will want to have it in their games by default.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    I can't really speak for Silverscale, here, but I think he was just complementing you on your good joke-homebrew. As in "Oh well...[even though they will not be included] I still think they're cool."
    Exactly but clearly you can not take a compliment so you know what? Peace out!
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, that's... nice. Anyway, back on something relevant, I had one of those brain-pop thingies yesterday about Soul's Desire. A soul desires peace, right? So Soul's Desire is the quintessential little home-town. It's the subtle, gentle paradise that is longed for by weary adventurers. The archons aren't visible (they change shape into something more subtle like buildings or NPCs), and all seem pretty well. Ma sets apple pie out on the window sill while you sip sweet tea on the porch, and watch the sun set on a cool summer's evening. In short, it's the home that you want to come back to, even if you were never there.
    Last edited by The Tygre; 2011-02-11 at 04:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

5. - Top - End - #575

Well, it sounds bytopia-ish, which is good, as the gate leads there, but generally, I'd place this more between Bytopia and Elysium. The flavour doesn't seem to fit Celestia much. Elysium is the "eternal rest" place, Celestia is more the "Get your stuff, we're going to fight evil some more" place.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

*claps* Got it. Same concept, but mid-WWII. Celestial propaganda posters on the walls, air-raid drills at night, rubber drives, paper drives, steel drives, etc. The economy is tougher here, but it's brought people together. There's a sense of unity and camaraderie. Prejudices are put aside (even one of those beatnik/hippie eladrin might be able to fit in here for a while), but xenophobia is up. The town itself is a way-point between the farms and mines on Bytopia and the military bases on Celestia.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

7. - Top - End - #577

Heh.

My GIMP skills aren't good enough to change the writing.

But I like hte idea.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-02-11 at 04:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverscale View Post
    Exactly but clearly you can not take a compliment so you know what? Peace out!
    I am capable of taking a compliment, but your statement was that I should include them; I was merely defending myself in a fashion that expresses how serious I am about not including them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

9. - Top - End - #579

Quote Originally Posted by Silverscale View Post
    Oh well...I still think they're cool. And I know the reference. That's what makes them cool.
    Yes my original sentiment was that it would be cool to include them but after you stated that you didn't want to because they were merely made as a cool joke I made the above statement, but you have clearly ignored the highlighted part.

I also made the point about the Dragons that even if you don't want to use them in this project, perhaps some of the fluff could help give you guys some ideas when you're trying to write fluff for the different layers. However, if you guys don't want my input then I'm am more then happy to just sit back and watch.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

Tygre and Dice, you seem to be two days over the time limit with nothing to show for it. Anything to say?

Still looking for advice on finishing the Dominion.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

*spit-takes*
    *cough*
    *choke*
    *gags*

Whoa, there, Nelly. I was told that I was just the task-master of this here lil' operation. No one said anything about me doin' homebrewin'. 'Case you haven't noticed, the most I've ever homebrewed was a wimpy half-demon variant template, and even that I hammered out of a step by step WotC guide. I'm not exactly sure I'm homebrewer material; I still don't know what the Hell 'balanced' means half the time.

Still... Everyone's gotta' start somewhere... And Eleanor Roosevelt said that a leader shouldn't ask for anything they aren't willing to do themselves... And an extra hand couldn't hurt... And I'd look a damned fool if I didn't... But where would I even begin? My first instinct is one of the Trumpets, but we haven't filled them all out yet. Any suggestions?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

12. - Top - End - #582

Hey, I've never brewed a monster before either. Do what I did, take an evil monster and goodwash it. It's like whitewashing, but with goodness!

Or help me finishing up the other five virtue archons. That's pretty easy, they only need auras and spell-likes.

And my concept of balance is something like "Can it cast level 9 spells? Then it's probably good."
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-02-15 at 03:29 AM.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say you could have a purely administrative role if it weren't for the fact that there's only four of us; so we really do need everyone we can. It doesn't matter if we don't have all the Trumpets, you can just pick one and you have to start somewhere.

Remember, the very first thing I homebrewed was CR 42; it really isn't very hard.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #584

And I'm still genuinely wondering what you are basing those challenge ratings on... I've built dozens of epic level characters so far, and balancing at those levels is still an arcane mystery to me. What do you base those CRs on?

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll admit that Sandalphon probably isn't particularily balanced to CR 42; but I actually work backwards for the High Castes. Each one is two CRs higher than the previous one and I balance them to that by comparing them to things in the Epic Level Handbook and Gates of Hell that are of the CR I want.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

You all have my sincerest apologies for my absence since this weekend and my sporadic posting before that; I had a relative pass away and some other family issues to deal with, and haven't been able to give my projects and PbPs the attention they deserve. The archons I was working on aren't quite complete, since I haven't been able to work on anything D&D-related for a week or so, but I'll try to have them done and posted this weekend.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry for your loss.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for your loss,

But on topic: i oce made a half-celestial celestial creutere solar angel (yeah i ignore subtype restrictions). and its kinda powerfull
    Despite everything, its still me.

19. - Top - End - #589

Sorry, Lost.

And Super dark: while it is probably powerful (everything building on a Solar would be, really), it's not really anything we need. We need new creatures, not combinations of old ones. Also, Angels are not what we are looking for, we are working on Archons.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, Monster Manual II lists many Planar Golems that are never given complete stats in 3.5. I'm actually planning on finishing them. Would you like me to post the Valorhammer here?

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, it can't hurt; although more variants would be better.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, here's the first draft (I'm not sure at all on the pricing).
    Final draft

Valorhammer
    Large Construct (Good, Lawful, Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice:
    7d10+30 (68 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft. (can’t run), Fly 40 ft. (Poor)
    Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +7 natural, +1 Dex), touch 10, flatfooted 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+16
    Attack: Large masterwork warhammer +12 melee (2d6+7 plus 2d6 vs. evil), or light ray +5 ranged touch (2d6 damage)
    Full Attack: Large masterwork warhammer +12 melee (2d6+7 plus 2d6 vs. evil), or 2 light rays +5 ranged touch (2d6 damage)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Holy Warhammer, Smite Evil, Light Ray
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Lowlight Vision, Damage Reduction 10/Evil, Darkvision 60 ft., Immunity to Magic, Detect Evil
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 25, Dex 12, Con ---, Int ---, Wis 11, Cha 10
    Skills: -----
    Feats: -----
    Environment: The Seven Mounting Heavens of Mount Celestia
    Organization: Solitary, or Patrol (1 plus 2-6 Lantern Archons)
    Challenge Rating: 7
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Lawful Good
    Advancement: 8-14 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: -----

A mechanical creature resembling a large, flying dwarf lands several feet away. It is made of pure white alabaster and mithral. It wields a large warhammer, engraved with the beautiful Celestial language.

Valorhammers are Planar Golems created using the metals mined from Mount Celestia. The creators of these extravagant golems fashion them in the image of the dwarves of Nemmiron, with the addition of mithral wings. Valorhammers generally serve as a police garrison, using their ability to detect evil to scare off hidden fiends or evil mortals.

Valorhammers are even more efficient at their jobs because of their ability to channel their energies into their warhammers, making them merciful weapons. This greatly reduces the risk of accidental mortalities when trying to merely subdue an opponent. Valorhammers are greatly feared for the other abilities granted to them when wielding a warhammer, and for their ability to fire searing rays of holy energy at their opponents, similar to Lantern Archons.

Valorhammers mithral/alabaster composition makes them lightweight compared to other constructs of their size, and as a result may fly using their wings. Valorhammers cannot speak, but understand commands issued to them in Celestial.

Combat
    Valorhammers rarely enter combat without their warhammers, as this grants them an advantage when fighting fiendish invaders. Valorhammers do whatever is instructed of them by any nearby Archons. When brought to half its Hit Points, it can now longer fly.

Detect Evil (Su): Valorhammers can use Detect Evil at-will.

Holy Warhammer (Su): When wielding a masterwork warhammer crafted in the forges of Mount Celestia, a Valorhammer may channel the powers of the animating celestial spirit to grant it extra abilities. While wielding such a weapon, the weapon is treated as good- and lawful- aligned when it comes to bypassing Damage Reduction. It deals an extra 2d6 damage to creatures with an evil alignment. It is treated as having the merciful magical weapon ability (causing the damage to deal an extra 1d6 damage, for a total of 3d6, but all damage dealt is nonlethal. This ability can be turned off and on at will). In addition, when the merciful enhancement is suppressed, it deals double the normal amount of damage the Valorhammer would normally deal with a Smite Evil attack. When not in the hands of the Valorhammer, the warhammer is just of the common, masterwork variety. The warhammer being wielded by the Valorhammer must have been created in the forges of Mount Celestia for the Valorhammer to channel its abilities; no ordinary warhammer works.

Immunity to Magic: A Valorhammer is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance.

Light Ray: As a standard action every 1d4 rounds, the Valorhammer may release a single light ray from the palm of its hand, dealing 2d6 damage. This has a range of 30 ft. The light bypasses all damage reduction.

Smite Evil (Su): Three times per day, a Valorhammer may make a special attack that deals extra damage equal to its Hit Dice against another creature. This extra damage is only dealt if the creature smote is evil in alignment. The Valorhammer must decide to use this power before the attack. If the attack misses or is used against a creature of non-evil alignment, there are no effects, but the attempt is still expended.

Construction
    To construct a Valorhammer, one must use special materials mined from Mount Celestia and build the body on the plane itself. The materials for the body and the preparation to house the spirit costs 7,000 gp. Assembling the body requires a Craft (Armorsmithing) check (DC 24).

Caster Level 11th; Craft Construct; Detect Good, Holy Smite, Cure Light Wounds, Lesser Planar Binding; Price 47,375 gp; Cost 23,687 gp + 1,895 XP; creator must be Lawful Good
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-04-02 at 09:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #593

This is a pretty cool project. I would like to help if you need any.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    This is a pretty cool project. I would like to help if you need any.
    QUICK! SOMEONE PIN HIM DOWN BEFORE HE GETS AWAY!

I mean... That would be lovely.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

25. - Top - End - #595

*Jumps up from behind a rock with a net*

I GOT HIM, MASTER!

I mean, nice to see some new people.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Just pick something from Dice's list and get started. Alternately, if you are feeling ambitious, try making one of blackjack's Powers; I get the feeling he isn't going to come back for them.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

Anything I can do to help?

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

What should the target CR of the Hebdomad be, since they are still on the list?
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

Early 50s to late 60s for the first six, early 80s for Zaphkiel.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    Early 50s to late 60s for the first six, early 80s for Zaphkiel.
    Fun.

I have spent my fair share of time statting up gods, this shouldn't be any harder.

I think I am going to start out with Barachiel. Is there a good source of fluff on him?
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.