New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Gates of Heaven: Giving Celestia the Dicefreaks Treatment

Has anyone claimed the Hound Archons?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #602
    Colossus in the Playground

Not really, the BoED is pretty much all that exists on the Tome Archons. Planescape barely mentions them.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

Sir_Chivalry actually wrote us a fair bit on Barachiel; although I doubt we'll be seeing him back for any of the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Barachiel

Barachiel is the ruler of Lunia, the Silver Heaven, first layer of the sacred mountain of Celestia, and commander to the armies of Celestia. He is also the patron of heralds and of hosts, protecting both the messenger who bears the crucial missive and those who give him shelter from cold and danger.

History

The current Barachiel is the twenty-third to hold the title of Barachiel, the name and powers being passed down when the previous holder dies. The current Barachiel was a trumpet archon in the service of the previous ruler of Lunia, and became a trusted servant of his master, even going so far as to be named Champion of Barachiel. When battle was needed to repel the forces of evil from Celestia, he would go in the name of his lord to fight powerful fiends and secure the safety of Lunia.

When news reached Barachiel of the Crown of Good being stolen by servants of Tiamat, goddess of evil dragons, and hidden in her lair on Avernus, Barachiel chose to lead an army to the Hells to retrieve it. While seeking the Crown, the celestial army drew the attention of the infernal general Bael who, suspecting a celestial invasion, led his own detachment to intercept. A clash of celestial and infernal forces ensued, fireballs streaking through the sky of Avernus, and in the chaos, celestial scouts managed to breach the Queen of Dragons lair and steal back the Crown, but not before the ruler of Lunia fell under the wicked blade of Bael. The celestial host made a swift retreat under cover of one of the frequent demonic incursions, and fled back to Celestia.

Once back in Lunia, Barachiel’s Champion was chosen as the new ruler of Lunia by Zaphkiel, and he underwent a miraculous change to mirror the appearance of his fallen master.

Appearance & Personality

Barachiel stands 9 feet tall, his body and wings a gleaming silver, his eyes deep violet. He is garbed in a robe set with tiny points of light, like a starry night sky, and he always carries the badges of his office, a silver longsword and a gleaming trumpet. Few mortals know of the Battle of Avernus, but the death of his master weighs heavily on Barachiel’s heart. Whereas his former master was a great lover of music and art, this new one focuses his energy on war and training, that he might prevent the death of his new superiors. He still holds the usual trumpet archon penchant for music and singing, but they are secondary to him. The archons under his command describe him as a tough, dour leader, always scowling and glaring, as if nothing impresses him, and when he addresses anyone except other members of the Hebdomad it is always in a curt and frugal manner, as if too many words would be a great strain on him. Even without his trumpet, he is always easy to hear in combat, his orders like cracking thunder, impossible to miss. When he is sent to herald some great revelation to another, be they mortal or otherwise, he always appears in a peal of thunder, lightning crackling off of his silvery body and dancing along his longsword. He stays for as little time as is needed, and then returns to train and prepare his troops once more. “Just because Celestia isn’t invaded often, doesn’t mean vigilance isn’t needed” he often chides his officers.

Domains

The Citadel of Stars consists of a cluster of almost impossibly high towers of violet crystal, rising directly from the sea. The entire structure shimmers with a faint light.

While there are few (or none at all) entrances at see level, the citadel has a myriad balconies for flyers to land, some large enough for dragons, giant birds or other large creatures.

It becomes immediately obvious that this is the home of the Trumpet Archons: the entire structure is hollow, and the interior of the towers is kept empty, gigantic tubes the size of mountains that allows the sea wind to rise through them, playing the entire citadel like a pipe organ

Servants

Though he is abrasive and stubborn, Barachiel enjoys intense loyalty from the armies he commands, many of whom are willing to march into the Abyss to protect Celestia. Each of the Hebdomad puts the majority of their warriors at the command of Barachiel in defense of Celestia, and unlike other planar armies, each of these groups sees in each other common allies and friends, making for very few problems in Lunia’s forces.

One especially important member of Barachiel’s forces is his primary Champion, a trumpet archon by the name of Seped. She is a musician of some skill, and is both his chief tactician and his only close confidant, sharing in his battle plans and counseling him on the temperament of the troops and the likeliness of fiendish attack. She often travels far and wide across the planes, searching for signs of demonic or infernal incursion.

Another of Barachiel's Champions is Ziamiral, who is a sword archon obsessed with preening her feathers and maintaining her armor. She Baelieves she has fallen out of favor with Barachiel, but he has merely eased her duties of late due to her meticulous need for order and cleanliness. He admires that she is so thorough with her work, but seeks to gently remind her that she is needed most direly closer to the front lines.

Enemies

Barachiel considers few beings his true enemy, always willing to forgive and make amends if someone slights him, despite his harsh exterior. He does however consider the infernal general Bael, Lord of the First, to be his enemy. Bael’s slaying of Barachiel’s predecessor, a being he was quite close to, has made Barachiel long for a way to put a stop to the Lord’s machinations in various parts of the multiverse, though he has frustratingly few works to sabotage. The fact that Barachiel and Bael share such similar duties in their respective hierarchies does nothing to quell their animosity, and Barachiel longs for the day that he might challenge Bael in single combat, to test himself against the foe that slew his master.

Allies

Other than the Hebdomad, Barachiel has few friends to speak of, instead focusing most of his time on planning for the defense of Celestia, reviewing the defenses, and bringing messages of great importance to various beings. He does however occasionally meet with the god of good dragons Bahamut, who he speaks with about the defenses and such, seeking to get the opinion of someone who sees the multiverse from a dragon’s perspective. The two can speak for hours, and some might even make the guess that they were friends, but both Bahamut and Barachiel would deny it, claiming theirs’ is simply a mutual understanding to protect their home plane from incursion. Barachiel also is known at times to send messages back and forth to the archangel of planetars Isamukemen (or, quite rarely, visit in person). The archangel’s personal war is helpful after a fashion to Barachiel, but it is never something that occupies Barachiel’s mind for more than a few scant seconds, and the real purpose of his inquiries is two-fold. First, an attack upon Arcadia by fiends is very much a threat to Celestia, and secondly, the two have a small rivalry, seeking to best each other in the field of strategy and tactics, seeking to see who the master is.

Possible Plot Hook

The PCs encounter a local warlord (possibly a Warlord of Bael) who is ordering brutal attacks on the countryside, slaughtering villages wholesale, the few survivors dragged back in chains to his keep to be sacrificed to his infernal lord Bael. Barachiel contacts the PCs, and makes it known that the warlord cannot be allowed to become one of Bael's lieutenants in the Blood War

As for the Hound Archons, I made the Greyhound but the rest are still open.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. How exactly are the hound archons supposed to be broken up? Also, you wouldn't happen to have a link to the Greyhound, would you?

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Not really, the BoED is pretty much all that exists on the Tome Archons. Planescape barely mentions them.
    I just checked BoED, and it actually already has statistics for him. Do you want me to write new ones, or just enhance those?
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's the Greyhound
    Spoiler
    Show

Greyhound Archon
    Medium Outsider (Archon, Extraplanar, Good, Lawful)
    Hit Dice: 6d8+15 (43 hp)
    Initiative: +8
    Speed: 80 ft. (16 squares)
    Armor Class: 23 (+4 Dex, +8 natural, +1 dodge), touch 15, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+7
    Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d6+1) or short sword +7 melee (1d6+1) or throwing axe +10 ranged (1d6+1)
    Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d6+1) and slam +2 melee (1d4) or short sword +7/+2 melee (1d6+1) and bite +2 melee (1d6+1) or throwing axe +10 ranged (1d6+1)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
    Special Attacks: Spell-like Abilities, trip
    Special Qualities: Aura of menace, change shape, damage reduction 10/evil, darkvision 60 ft., evasion, immunity to electricity and petrification, magic circle against evil, scent, outsider traits, spell resistance 16, teleport, tongues
    Saves: Fort +7 (+11 against poisons), Ref +9, Will +6
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 12
    Skills: Hide +12, Jump +9, Knowledge (Geography) +8, Knowledge (The Planes) +8, Listen +12, Move Silently +12, Spot +9, Survival +9
    Feats:Dodge, Endurance, Mobility, RunB
    Environment: Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or team (3-5)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items
    Alignment: Always Lawful Good
    Advancement: 7-9 HD (Medium); 10-18 HD (Large) or by class level (Favored class Scout)
    Level Adjustment: +4

This creature closely resembles a Hound Archon, but is thinner built and with longer legs. In the place of the traditional greatsword slung over its shoulder are a short bladed stabbing sword holstered on its waist and a bandoleer of throwing axes on its lean chest. It is obviously an extremely fast runner

Not all Hound Archons are the blocky, muscular fighters and trackers that are so often seen working as light infantry for the armies of Heaven. Rather, there are as many varieties of Hound Archon as there are of real hounds; all adapted for a different purpose. The Greyhound is one of these, built for speed and endurance to act as scouts, runners, and essentially light cavalry.

Combat

Greyhound are not as strong as their cousins and will try to avoid a straight out fight if possible, preferring to perform hit and run attacks with their throwing axes. If they do enter close combat, they use their shortswords in conjunction with their strong bite; but will generally only do so if they have outflanked the enemy or are attacking lightly armored artillery.

Aura of Menace (Su): Will DC 16 negates

Change Shape (Su): A Greyhound Archon can assume any canine form of Small to Large size. While in canine form, the Greyhound loses its bite, slam, throwing axe, and shortsword attacks, but gains the bite attack of the form it chooses. For the purposes of this ability, canines include any doglike or wolflike animal of the animal type.

Spell-Like Abilities (Su): At will-aid, continual flame, detect evil, message

Trip (Ex): A greyhound archon that hits with its short sword can attempt to trip the opponent (+1 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the greyhound.

You can find the rest of the subtypes for every Archon by looking for Dice's post earlier on; I've been meaning to save it but haven't got around to it yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #607

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    I just checked BoED, and it actually already has statistics for him. Do you want me to write new ones, or just enhance those?
    I'd suggest going more for an "inspired by". You'd advance him, what, fifty, sixty levels? I'd think he'd share little in common by that point.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd suggest going more for an "inspired by". You'd advance him, what, fifty, sixty levels? I'd think he'd share little in common by that point.
    More like 30, at most. Good point though.

[Edit] Now that I started it, yeah, you are right, 60 is more of the number.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-02-21 at 09:45 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

I found it! The retriever sounds fun...

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Hound--Greyhound, Bloodhound, Harrier, Foxhound, Retriever
    Greyhound--sprinting, evading/dodging
    Bloodhound--tracking, plane shifting
    Harrier--endurance, delayed damage
    Foxhound--detection, ??
    Retriever--fetching, marking (mark of justice etc.)

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, I would highly suggest looking at the Dicefreaks Archdevils and Lords of the Nine for inspiration here; just to see what a competently built creature of that power looks like.

As a side note, if anyone wants me to save something just let me know. I've got jack's Celestial Warlock, all the High Castes. Chivalry's blurb on Barachiel, the Legion Archon, and that thing that I'm not going to mention.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    Also, I would highly suggest looking at the Dicefreaks Archdevils and Lords of the Nine for inspiration here; just to see what a competently built creature of that power looks like.
    Do you have a link to it? Google isn't giving me anything.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

Here

I'm sure you are all getting tired of hearing this, but everyone should read The Gates of Hell. Download the .pdfs while you're at it.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

Hooooooly crap, Barachiel has 2304 skill points. I forgot how many Outsiders got. Yeesh. This should be fun.

Here

I'm sure you are all getting tired of hearing this, but everyone should read The Gates of Hell. Download the .pdfs while you're at it.
    Thanks!

I found an artist who did their own interpretation of what the Hebdomad look like. That one is Barachiel, and there is a link to each of the images in the description. dA is taking a long time to load for me, but from what I have seen, it looks pretty cool.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-02-21 at 10:13 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't seem to find a way to make the retriever anything more than an advanced Hound Archon with a couple spell-like abilities.

To be honest, I'd rather stat out things like the Caregivers and Zoveri mentioned in the Lunia thread, but I'll see what i can do.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

Why would it even be advanced? I doubt it would be a better fighter than a stock Hound. If you want to do something more interesting, why don't you do blackjack's Powers? I don't see him jumping at the bit to do them, or even showing up for the last two months.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    I can't seem to find a way to make the retriever anything more than an advanced Hound Archon with a couple spell-like abilities.

To be honest, I'd rather stat out things like the Caregivers and Zoveri mentioned in the Lunia thread, but I'll see what i can do.
    Retriever? What does it do retrieve things? That shouldn't be that hard:

Incapacitate (Su): The Retriever barks at an opponent within 30 feet, as a standard action. That opponent must make a DC (X) Will save, or fall unconscious. If they make the save, they are dazed for one round.

And some sort of ability that allows them to teleport at will as long as they are touching an Incapacitated creature.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-02-21 at 10:32 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, thanks to unosorta, I have an idea or two.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-21 at 10:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #618

All Archons can teleport at will anyway...

You know, outsider warfare must be weird.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is Barachiel, with feats, skills, the whole gamut.

Spoiler
    Show

Barachiel, without Heldenmut.

Barachiel
    Large Outsider (Good, Lawful)
    Marshal 30
    HD 40d8+30d8+1050 (1368 hp)
    Speed 90 ft. (18 squares); Fly (Perfect) 100 feet
    Init: +29
    AC 79; touch 39; flat-footed 60 (+9 Dex, +20 Dodge, +27 Armor, +23 )
    BAB +45; Grp +60
    Attack Sword of the Host + melee (10d6+30+20d6+15+3d6, 17-20/x4 + 12d6)
    Full-Attack Sword of the Host +/+/+/+ (5d6+30+10d6+15+3d6, 17-20/x4 + 12d6)
    Space 20 ft.; Reach 20 ft.
    Special Attacks Blade of the Heavenly Host, Trumpet on the Mount, Smote, Spell-like abilities, Call the Host, Vengeance of the Heavens, Minor Auras, Major Auras, Grant Move Action 7/day
    Special Qualities Fast as Lightning, Aura of Menace, Damage Reduction 51/--, Immunities, Indelible Imprint, Magic Circle Against Evil, Spell Resistance 59, Teleport, Tongues
    Saves Fort +37 Ref +37 Will +37
    Abilities Str 50, Dex 28, Con 38, Int 22, Wis 23, Cha 45
    Skills Diplomacy +105 , Handle Animal +90, Heal +79, Intimidate +90, Knowledge (nobility) +79, Knowledge (religion) +79, Knowledge (the planes) +79, Listen +79, Perform (oratory) +103, Sense Motive +81, Spellcraft +79, Spot +79, Survival +32
    Feats Skill Focus (Diplomacy)B, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Sword of the Host), Skill Focus (Perform (oratory)), Epic Skill Focus (Perform (oratory)), Combat Reflexes, Improved Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack, Spellcaster Harrier, Flyby Attack, Wingover, Improved Bull-Rush, Shock Trooper, Track, Improved Critical (Sword of the Host), Negotiator, Epic Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Blind-Fight, Run, Improved Toughness
    Environment Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia (Lunia)
    Organization Solitary
    Challenge Rating 55
    Treasure Quadruple standard, plus Heldenmut
    Alignment Lawful Good
    Advancement --

This empyreal figure appears as a 9-foot-tall androgynous human with silver skin and dark violet eyes. Great wings covered with silver feathers grace his shoulders. He wears a flowing violet robe adorned with tiny motes of light that glow like stars. He wields a greatsword that crackle with electricity and carries a burnished silver trumpet.

Barachiel (bah-RAY-kee-ehl) rules Lunia, the bottom layer of the great heavenly mountain, also known as the Silver Heaven. He commands Celestia’s defenses against incursion, though he rarely has much to do in that capacity. In addition, he is the herald and messenger of the archon paragons, even visiting the Material Plane on occasion to deliver messages of the utmost importance. He leads the trumpet archons and is a patron of mortal heralds as well.

The Citadel of Stars is Barachiel’s home on the shore of the Silver Sea. A towering fortress with gleaming white marble walls, the Citadel entertains an almost constant stream of trumpet archons coming in and going out on their missions across the planes.

Combat
    Any weapon Barachiel wields is treated as good-aligned and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Blade of the Heavenly Host (Su): As a free action, Barachiel may call his blade to him. It is a gargantuan +15 Shocking Blast greatsword that deals a base 5d6 damage. On a successful attack, it deals an extra 10d6 electricity damage. The blade is immune to any dispel effect or any means of destroying it. If it is removed from Barachiel’s possession, it immediately disappears, and Barachiel can re-summon it as a free action.

Trumpet on the Mount (Su): Barachiel may sound his great, awe-inspiring trumpet as a standard action. He blasts a great burst of sound from it, causing all non-archons within 100 feet to make a Will save (DC 62) or be paralyzed for 2d4 rounds. If the trumpet is stolen from Barachiel, he may summon it to himself as a standard action, and it appears in his hand. The DC of this ability is Charisma based.

Smote (Ex): As a standard action, three times per encounter, Barachiel may make a single melee attack against an opponent, with a bonus to the attack roll equal to his Charisma modifier. If the attack hits, Barachiel deals an extra 93d6 damage to the opponent. The damage of this attack doubles if the target is of the Evil alignment.

Spell-like Abilities: At Will-- [i]consecrate, daylight, detect chaos, detect evil, continual flame, dream, greater dispel magic, hallow, lightning bolt, holy aura (DC 35), holy smite (DC 31), holy word (DC 34), message, nightmare (DC 31), power word stun, sending, shield of law, true seeing;
    3/day—miracle (DC 36), true resurrection.
    Caster level 93rd. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Call the Host: Four times per day, Barachiel may summon a legion of the Host. The legion includes 4d10+10 Lantern Archons, 2d4+4 Sword Archons, 1d4+4 Trumpet Archons, and 1d2+2 Throne Archons. In addition, Barachiel may summon one of the Hebdomad with this ability. He may only summon at most one legion per encounter. They last until the end of the encounter, and then return to wherever they were summoned from.

Vengeance of the Heavens (Su): As a full round action, Barachiel may summon thunder and lightning from the skies, and have it strike an opponent. He makes a ranged touch attack against a target that he can see. That target, and all non-archon targets within 30 feet must make a Reflex save (DC 62) or take 70d6 electricity damage. If they make the save, they only take half damage. Any target who attempts the save is automatically deafened. The save DC for this ability is Charisma based.

Minor Auras (Ex): Barachiel knows the Art of War, Master of Tactics, Motivate Dexterity, Master of Opportunity, Force of Will, Demand Fortitude, Over the Top, Watchful Eye, Accurate Strike, and Determined Caster minor auras. He uses his Charisma modifier of +17 for these effects.

Major Auras (Ex): Barachiel knows the Motivate Ardor, Motivate Attack, Motivate Care, Steady Hands, Motivate Urgency, and Resilient Troops auras. The bonus for these effects is +6.

Grant Move Action (Ex): Seven times per day, Barachiel may, as a standard action, grant an additional move action to all allies within 30 feet (but not himself). This extra action does not affect the allies’ initiative count; the round continues normally after Barachiel’s turn is over. (This may mean, for example, that an ally whose initiative
    count immediately follows Barachiel’s may get an extra move action from Barachiel, followed directly by a full round worth of actions on the ally’s turn.)

Fast as Lightning (Ex): Barachiel automatically succeeds on any Initiative check he makes. If another creature has a similar ability, they must make an opposed Initiative check (which neither this nor any other auto-succeed ability affects) and whoever wins may take their turn first. In addition, he gains a +20 Dodge bonus to Armor Class, and a +20 bonus to Initiative. He loses the bonus to Armor Class if he loses his Dexterity modifier to Armor Class.

Aura of Menace: A righteous aura surrounds Barachiel when he fights or gets angry. Any hostile creature within a 40- foot radius of him must make a Will save (DC 62) to resist its effects. Those who fail take a –10 morale penalty on attacks, AC, and saves for one day. If an affected creature makes a successful hit against him, that creature (only) can attempt a new saving throw. A creature that makes a successful saving throw against the effect cannot be affected again by the aura for one day. The DC for this ability is Charisma based.

Immunities: Barachiel immune to Electricity, Fire, Cold, Sonic and Acid damage. He is immune to poison, paralyze effects, mind affecting spells and effects, and petrification.

Indelible Imprint: When one of the Celestial Hebdomad is slain, the dying paragon releases holy energy to brand its murderer for all time. The instant the paragon dies, all creatures within 100 feet who have dealt damage to the paragon within the past day must make a Will save (DC 62). Those that succeed take half damage. Creatures that fail receive an unsightly rune upon their faces that instantly identifies them to any lawful good outsider as a murderer of a member of the Hebdomad, and take 20d6 untyped damage. The mark may be removed with a wish or miracle spell if the caster beats the Spell resistance of the paragon. The DC for this ability is Charisma based.

Heldenmut
    Heldenmut is the shining silver full plate of Barachiel. It has an armor bonus of +27, has no maximum dexterity bonus, no speed penalty, and no armor check penalty. It has the effects of the Great Reflection, and Negating enhancements.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-02-22 at 06:00 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, here's the stat block. I'll be adding the fluff and writing down the abilities tomorrow. any comments/concerns now?

Archon, Hound (Retriever)
    Medium Outsider (Archon, Good, Lawful, Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice:
    6d8
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 40 ft.
    Armor Class: 19 (+9 natural), touch 10, flatfooted 19
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+7
    Attack: Longsword +7 melee (1d8+1 damage)
    Full Attack: Longsword +7 melee (1d8+1 damage)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spell-like Abilities, Incapacitate
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Lowlight vision, Aura of Menace, Magic Circle Against Evil, Teleport, Tongues, Immunity to poison and electricity, Damage Reduction 10/Evil, change shape, Spell Resistance 16
    Saves: Fort +6 (+10 vs. poison), Ref +5, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 13, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 12
    Skills: Concentration +10, Hide +10, Jump +10, Listen +11, Move Silently +9, Survival +14 (+16 following tracks)
    Feats: Track(B), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Skill Focus: Survival
    Environment: The Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or squad (3-5)
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items
    Alignment: Always Lawful Good
    Advancement: 7-9 HD (Medium); 10-18 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: +6

This man-high creature looks similar to an anthropomorphic dog with glorious golden fur. It has an air of majesty surrounding it.

When the fiendish and the corrupt need to be brought back to Celestia alive, the Retriever Hounds are released. They tirelessly pursue their quarry, whether they be on Celestia itself or travelling through the planes.

Retriever Hounds, though among the lower Archons, are a terrifying sight to least devils, lesser demons, and evil mortals everywhere. When one of these creatures are hunting you down, you know that Celestia has deemed you a threat to be brought back alive.

Combat
    Retriever Hounds have a fairly simple strategy: run into the enemies, incapacitate the target, and teleport away before too much damage is taken.

Aura of Menace (Su): A righteous aura surrounds archons that fight or get angry. Any hostile creature within a 20-foot radius of an archon must succeed on a Will save to resist its effects. Those who fail the will save (DC 16) take a -2 penalty on attacks, AC, and saves for 24 hours or until they successfully hit the archon that generated the aura. A creature that has resisted or broken the effect cannot be affected again by the same archon’s aura for 24 hours.

Magic Circle Against Evil (Su): A magic circle against evil effect always surrounds an archon (Caster Level 4th). (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in an archon’s statistics block.)

Teleport (Su): Archons can use greater teleport at will, as the spell (caster level 14th). Normally, the Retreiver Archon can transport only itself and up to 50 pounds of objects, but it may also transport one creature that has been incapacitated along with it. Seen Incapacitate for more details.

Tongues (Su): All archons can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 14th). This ability is always active.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—aid, continual flame, detect evil, message. Caster level 6th. 1/day- Mark of Justice. Caster level 9th.

Change Shape (Su): A hound archon can assume any canine form of Small to Large size. While in canine form, the hound archon loses its bite, slam, and greatsword attacks, but gains the bite attack of the form it chooses. For the purposes of this ability, canines include any doglike or wolflike animal of the animal type.

Incapacitate (Su): The Retriever barks at an opponent within 30 feet, as a standard action. That opponent must make a DC (15) Will save, or fall unconscious. If they make the save, they are dazed for one round. The save DC is Wisdom based.

Skills: While in canine form, a hound archon gains a +4 circumstance bonus on Hide and Survival checks.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-22 at 11:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Sir_Chivalry actually wrote us a fair bit on Barachiel; although I doubt we'll be seeing him back for any of the others.
    Well, if you'll have me back for the fluff, I'll pump out what I can on the other Hebdomad. Sorry for the absense, but NaNoWriMo and then school got in the way. Still at school, but I now have the beat of what I'm doing. That is . . . if you'll have me back
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2011-02-21 at 11:40 PM.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

All Archons can teleport at will anyway...

You know, outsider warfare must be weird.
    I'm sure it must. I guess it can be very erratic. Perhaps a single battle can take place in several areas simultaneously.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    Well, if you'll have me back for the fluff, I'll pump out what I can on the other Hebdomad. Sorry for the absense, but NaNoWriMo and then school got in the way. Still at school, but I now have the beat of what I'm doing. That is . . . if you'll have me back
    QUICK! TIE HIM DOWN! WE CAN'T LET HIM GET AWAY TWICE!

I mean... Y-yeah. Fine. Whatever. You're okay. I guess.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

Your Barachiel is much too powerful; he's supposed to be roughly equivalent to Bael. That and Bard casting is sort of integral to his character and nine feet tall isn't gargantuan, its large. Finally, are the Hebdomad and Powers going to have class levels the way Dicefreaks did it?

In fact, I don't think even Eblis could lay a finger on him despite having two CR and supposedly a great deal more power. (Seriously, 96 HD? Asmodeus doesn't even have that much. Just as a heads up, when I suggested you read Gates of Hell I did in fact mean it.)

Just as a point of comparison, he's supposed to inferior one on one to this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Dice: 40d8 + 30d10 + 840 (1460 hp)
    Initiative: +15 (+7 Dex, +8 Superior Initiative)
    Speed: 90 ft., fly 200 ft. (perfect)
    Armor Class: 69 (-2 size, +9 armor, +10 deflection, +7 Dexterity, +26 natural, +9 profane), touch 34, flatfooted 62
    Base Attack/Grapple: +55/+85
    Attack: Abyssbane + 85 melee (4d6 + 47 + 3d6 (hellfire) 17-20/x3 +9d6 (hellfire) and death (Fortitude DC 67); or claw + 75 melee (3d8 + 22 + 1 vile 19-20/x2)
    Full Attack: Abyssbane +85/+80/+75/+70 melee (4d6 + 47 + 3d6 (hellfire) 17-20/x3 +9d6 (hellfire) and death (Fortitude DC 67); or 2 claws +75melee (3d8 + 22 + 1 vile /19-20) and 2 wings +73 melee (3d6 + 11 + 1 vile) and bite +73 melee (6d6 + 11 + 1 vile plus poison and disease) and tail slap +73 melee (3d8 + 11 + 1 vile)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft. /15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Aura of Hell, call devils, constrict 3d8 + 44, Hell’s Fire, improved grab, Might of Hell, spelllike abilities, Genocidal Strike, Fires of Avernus
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 40/anarchic, epic, good and silver, Dark General of Avernus, Diabolical Decree, Diabolical Empowerment, Diabolical Prowess, divine immunities, immunity to fire and poison, Infernal Nobility, Infernal Strategist, Lord of the Nine, Master of the Infernal Gates, regeneration 24, resistance to acid 40 and cold 40, see in darkness, spell resistance 68, telepathy 1,000 ft.
    Saves: Fort +49, Ref +44, Will +50
    Abilities: Str 55, Dex 25, Con 35, Int 28, Wis 32, Cha 31
    Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Combat Brute, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Corrupt Spell-like Ability, Dark Speech, Flyby Attack, Great Cleave, Greater Weapon Focus (greatsword), Greater Weapon Specialization (greatsword), Improved Bullrush, Improved Combat Expertise, Improved Critical (claws), Improved Critical (greatsword), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Improved Trip, Iron Will, Leadership, Multiattack, Negotiator, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Quicken Spell-like Ability (deeper darkness), Quicken Spell-like Ability (fireball), Quicken Spell-like Ability(greater teleport), Vile Natural Attack, Weapon Focus (greatsword), Weapon Specialization (greatsword)
    Epic Feats: Devastating Critical (greatsword), Dire Charge, Epic Evil Brand, Epic Leadership, Epic Reputation, Epic Weapon Focus (greatsword), Epic Weapon Specialization (greatsword), Overwhelming Critical (greatsword), Penetrate Damage Reduction (adamantine), Penetrate Damage Reduction (cold iron), Spellcasting Harrier, Superior Initiative
    Challenge Rating:[/b] 56

Aura of Hell: Bael's Aura of Hell can effect creatures within 900 feet of him, with a Will save DC 50 allowed to negate the effects.
    Call Devils (Sp): As a move equivalent action, Bael can call devils. Nine times per day, Bael may call a Duke of Hell, 9 pit fiends, or 18 lesser devils; devils so called have triple standard Hit Dice, to a maximum of 45 Hit Dice. Since these devils are called, they have the ability to summon other devils as their Monster Manual descriptions allow. Of all the Lords of the Nine, Bael is the most likely to single-handedly fight intruders, enemies, and any other being that attracts his attention—particularly demons. However, Bael is no fool and will always call a squad of red squamugon to observe such fights. As soon as matters appear to turn against Bael, these squamugon are expected to summon additional reinforcements while Bael calls in a few cornugons. Only if sorely opposed or gravely wounded will Bael call gelugons or pit fiends
    before retreating for safer territory to recuperate.
    Constrict (Ex): Bael deals 3d8 + 44 points of damage with a successful grapple check.
    Dark General of Avernus (Su): Bael is the epitome of the tyrannical military leader, and, as the Dark General of Avernus, he gains a number of abilities that augment both his and his army's capabilities. All allies within line of sight to Bael are immune to fear effects. Nine times per day, the Warlord of Avernus can issue a warcry as a free action. All allies within 900 feet of
    him are stirred by the call, gaining a +8 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution, and a +4 morale bonus on Will saves. Finally, Bael is capable of reforging those who seek his aid in his image. To those he deems worthy, he may alter some or all of their class levels to the dark marshal of Bael prestige class. They immediately lose all of their former class's abilities and replace them with those of the dark marshal. Bael is capable of ignoring any and all of
    the prerequisites for the class when he reforges them, however he is unlikely to accept anyone not of a Lawful Evil alignment, or who does not possess the Devotee of Darkness feat.
    Diabolical Empowerment: Bael uses his Wisdom modifier instead of his Charisma modifier when determining the power of special attacks and special qualities.
    Disease (Su): A creature struck by Bael’s bite attack must succeed on a DC 51 Fortitude save or be infected with a vile disease known as devil chills (incubation period 1d2 days, damage 1d6 Str).
    Fires of Avernus (Su): At will, Bael can cause theground of Avernus to erupt in flames. The blast originates at any point Bael is capable of viewing (including remote means) and has a 60 foot radius. The blast deals
    25d6 fire and bludgeoning damage and flings those struck 200 feet into the air. A Reflex save DC 50 negates the fling effect; there is no save against the damage. Those flung lose their next turn while in the air, and fall
    to the ground back in their original square on Bael's next turn; fallen victims suffer the appropriate falling damage and are considered prone. Those within 120 ft of the original blast at this time must make a Reflex save DC
    50 or take 20d6 bludgeoning damage and 10d6 fire damage from the falling rock and magma. Opposed rank checks apply to affect deities or cosmic
    entities with the fling effect.
    Genocidal Strike (Ex): Bael's wrath can consume entire races as he wages a devastating conflict across the planes to reveal diabolical superiority. 9/day, he may channel this anger into his attacks. Bael chooses a creature type and for the next three rounds his attacks carry the power of complete destruction. The appropriate creature struck by Bael's attacks must make a Fortitude save at DC 50. Succeed merely results in an additional 10d6
    points of damage. The body of any creature that fails its save or dies from the additional damage explodes, killing the creature instantly and dealing the creature’s HD in d6 damage in a radius of the creature’s space x 6 feet. Bael
    is immune to this damage. Interestingly enough, Bael need not select a subtype of humanoids or outsiders, but he must select an alignment if he chooses to Genocidal Strike creatures from either of these types. Opposed rank checks apply to affect deities or cosmic entities with the death effect.
    Hell’s Fire (Su): Bael may use Hell’s Fire 14/day, dealing 14d12 points of diabolical damage in a line 10 feet wide and 1400 feet long (Ref save DC 50 for half damage). Bael’s Hell’s Fire appears like a blast of red and orange flames that detonate with a thunderous explosion, causing an additional 6d12 points of sonic and 6d12 points of fire damage to all within 10 feet of the
    impact.
    Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, Bael must hit with his tail slap attack. He can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If he wins the grapple check, Bael establishes a hold and can constrict.
    Infernal Nobility (Ex): As the Lord of the First, Bael has a status equivalent to that of the gods. Bael possesses a cosmic rank of 9. While in Avernus (and anywhere else on Hell that Asmodeus allows), Bael functions as an Intermediate god with a cosmic rank of 12.
    Infernal Strategist (Ex): Bael’s legendary leadership skill bolsters his servants and terrifies his foes. As an Infernal Strategist, Bael recognizes no equal when it comes to military strategy and tactics. Bael enjoys speaking
    to his troops, bolstering their courage and dedication in the cause of war. As a full round action, Bael may give a rousing speech to his troops instructing them how to overcome even the most impossible odds. All beings
    allied to Bael who hear his speech receive a +9 circumstance bonus to their armor class, attacks, damage, and saves and receive immunity to spells and effects from the school of Enchantment (save those cast by Bael himself).
    This boon lasts for either 9 rounds or as long as the beneficiary remains within 999 feet of Bael. If Bael does not have the opportunity to provide such a speech to his allies before engagement, he may do so on the field as a standard action; in this event, the bonus is +3. Although Bael must wait at least three rounds between this use of Infernal Strategist, he seems to have no upward limit. When in combat, Bael may also determine the most efficient, brutal fashion to defeat his adversaries. After being engaged in combat for three rounds against any opponent, Bael receives a +6circumstance bonus to all rolls made regarding that opponent, while the opponent takes a -6 circumstance penalty to all rolls regarding Bael (these bonuses and penalties do not apply to rank checks). Thus, if Bael is facing two fighters and one cleric for three rounds, he would gain this advantage against all three adversaries. If a barbarian entered combat two rounds later, Bael would gain the advantage against this new threat after three rounds. The benefits of this aspect of Internal Strategist last as long as Bael remains in combat with the foe or foes that initiated the benefit. If Bael and his adversary/ adversaries are separated for more than nine rounds, the effects of this ability are eliminated until another three consecutive rounds of combat passes.
    Master of the Infernal Gates (Su): Charged with defending the First Perdition, Bael can sense the presence of any non Lawful Evil being that enters Avernus. He is immediately aware of the location of entry to within 100miles, relative strength (in levels (Hit Dice), but not class), number, and alignment and conviction (as a detect spell) of such beings the instant they enter Avernus. Bael suffers no discomfort even if millions of beings
    enter Avernus simultaneously. As Master of the Infernal Gates, Bael may also close any and all portals in Avernus as a full round action 3/day. Not only does this keep beings from using any portal from any location
    across the Cosmos to enter Avernus, it also sharply limits the power of planeshift and other forms of travel into and out of Avernus. Attempts to planeshift or teleport when Bael closes the gates require that the caster succeed in an opposed caster level check against Bael (caster level 49th). Bael may keep the portals closed for up to nine minutes with no adverse effects. If he needs to close them longer, he can do so for up to nine hours by taking a full round action each round to maintain the block. Bael is exhausted after keeping the gates open past nine minutes, for a length of time equal to twice the amount of time the gates were closed. Deities or cosmic entities can make an opposed rank check rather than a caster level check to breach the gates of Avernus; Bael gains a +8 bonus to resist such attempts.
    The Might of Hell (Su): Bael’s presence is so terrible that he can corrupt an entire area with but a thought. Thrice per day as a free action, Bael may unhallow an area equal to 1200 feet (associated spell effects function as though cast by a 49th level Sorcerer).
    Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 51, initial damage 1d8 Constitution, secondary damage death.
    Regeneration (Ex): Bael takes normal damage from anarchic, epic, good, and silver weapons.
    Spell-Like Abilities: At will - animate dead, baleful polymorph, blasphemy, charm monster, create undead, deeper darkness, delayed blast fireball, desecrate, detect chaos, detect good, detect magic, dominate monster, fireball, flame strike, greater dispel magic, greater invisibility, greater teleport, magic circle against chaos, magic circle against good, mass hold monster, mirage arcana, persistent image, polymorph, power word stun, produce flame, pyrotechnics, restoration, resurrection, suggestion, symbol of pain, unhallow, unholy aura, wall of fire; 9/day - blade barrier, destruction, divine power, greater restoration, magic vestment, magic weapon, meteor swarm, power word blind, power word kill, spiritual weapon, true resurrection; 6/day – accursed, hellball, oppress, tyranny; 3/day – wish. Caster level 49th; save DC 30 + spell level. Bael also casts spells from the War Domain; these are included in the list above.
    Abyssbane: This powerful artifact, a gift from Asmodeus for Bael’s Four Cross, is dreaded by all demons and has killed hundreds of thousands, if not millions, in the years Bael fought against the Abyssal hordes. Abyssbane
    appears as a simple single shaft of dark gray hellforged iron with a simple cross-guard and hilt. The blade itself has terrible Infernal runes in the bloodgrove, and it is constantly wreathed in orange flames. Abyssbane is a
    +6 hellforge iron greatsword of hellfire blasting. It grants its wielder the ability to smite demons 6/day, dealing an additional 60 points of damage on a successful strike. Any demon struck by the blade must make a Fortitude
    save DC 50 or lose the benefits of their damage reduction, poison immunity and spell resistance for 9 rounds.
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2011-02-22 at 12:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

Your Barachiel is much too powerful; he's supposed to be roughly equivalent to Bael. Plus, 9 feet tall isn't gargantuan, its large. Finally, are the Hebdomad and Powers going to have class levels the way Dicefreaks did it?

In fact, I don't think even Eblis could lay a finger on him despite having two CR and supposedly a great deal more power. (Seriously, 96 HD? Asmodeus doesn't even have that much)

Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Dice: 40d8 + 30d10 + 840 (1460 hp)
    Initiative: +15 (+7 Dex, +8 Superior Initiative)
    Speed: 90 ft., fly 200 ft. (perfect)
    Armor Class: 69 (-2 size, +9 armor, +10 deflection, +7
    Dexterity, +26 natural, +9 profane), touch 34, flatfooted 62
    Base Attack/Grapple: +55/+85
    Attack: Abyssbane + 85 melee (4d6 + 47 + 3d6 (hellfire) 17-20/x3 +9d6 (hellfire) and death (Fortitude DC 67); or claw + 75 melee (3d8 + 22 + 1 vile 19-20/x2)
    Full Attack: Abyssbane +85/+80/+75/+70 melee (4d6 + 47 + 3d6 (hellfire) 17-20/x3 +9d6 (hellfire) and death (Fortitude DC 67); or 2 claws +75 melee (3d8 + 22 + 1 vile /19-20) and 2 wings +73 melee (3d6 + 11 + 1 vile) and bite +73 melee (6d6 + 11 + 1 vile plus poison and disease) and tail slap +73 melee (3d8 + 11 + 1 vile)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft. /15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Aura of Hell, call devils, constrict 3d8 + 44, Hell’s Fire, improved grab, Might of Hell, spelllike abilities, Genocidal Strike, Fires of Avernus
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 40/anarchic, epic, good and silver, Dark General of Avernus, Diabolical Decree, Diabolical Empowerment, Diabolical Prowess, divine immunities, immunity to fire and poison, Infernal Nobility, Infernal Strategist, Lord of the Nine, Master of the Infernal Gates, regeneration 24, resistance to acid 40 and cold 40, see in darkness, spell resistance 68, telepathy 1,000 ft.
    Saves: Fort +49, Ref +44, Will +50
    Abilities: Str 55, Dex 25, Con 35, Int 28, Wis 32, Cha 31
    Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Combat Brute, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Corrupt Spell-like Ability, Dark Speech, Flyby Attack, Great Cleave, Greater Weapon Focus (greatsword), Greater Weapon Specialization (greatsword), Improved Bullrush, Improved Combat Expertise, Improved Critical (claws), Improved Critical (greatsword), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Improved Trip, Iron Will, Leadership, Multiattack, Negotiator, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Quicken Spell-like Ability (deeper darkness), Quicken Spell-like Ability (fireball), Quicken Spell-like Ability(greater teleport), Vile Natural Attack, Weapon Focus (greatsword), Weapon Specialization (greatsword)
    Epic Feats: Devastating Critical (greatsword), Dire Charge, Epic Evil Brand, Epic Leadership, Epic Reputation, Epic Weapon Focus (greatsword), Epic
    Weapon Specialization (greatsword), Overwhelming Critical (greatsword), Penetrate Damage Reduction (adamantine), Penetrate Damage Reduction (cold iron), Spellcasting Harrier, Superior Initiative
    Challenge Rating: 56

Aura of Hell: Bael's Aura of Hell can effect creatures within 900 feet of him, with a Will save DC 50 allowed to negate the effects.
    Call Devils (Sp): As a move equivalent action, Bael
    can call devils. Nine times per day, Bael may call a Duke of Hell, 9 pit fiends, or 18 lesser devils; devils so called have triple standard Hit Dice, to a maximum of 45 Hit Dice. Since these devils are called, they have the ability
    to summon other devils as their Monster Manual descriptions
    allow. Of all the Lords of the Nine, Bael is the most
    likely to single-handedly fight intruders, enemies, and
    any other being that attracts his attention—particularly
    demons. However, Bael is no fool and will always call a
    squad of red squamugon to observe such fights. As soon
    as matters appear to turn against Bael, these squamugon
    are expected to summon additional reinforcements while
    Bael calls in a few cornugons. Only if sorely opposed or
    gravely wounded will Bael call gelugons or pit fiends
    before retreating for safer territory to recuperate.
    Constrict (Ex): Bael deals 3d8 + 44 points of damage
    with a successful grapple check.
    Dark General of Avernus (Su): Bael is the epitome
    of the tyrannical military leader, and, as the Dark General
    of Avernus, he gains a number of abilities that augment
    both his and his army's capabilities.
    All allies within line of sight to Bael are immune to
    fear effects.
    Nine times per day, the Warlord of Avernus can issue
    a warcry as a free action. All allies within 900 feet of
    him are stirred by the call, gaining a +8 morale bonus to
    Strength and Constitution, and a +4 morale bonus on
    Will saves.
    Finally, Bael is capable of reforging those who seek
    his aid in his image. To those he deems worthy, he may
    alter some or all of their class levels to the dark marshal
    of Bael prestige class. They immediately lose all of their
    former class's abilities and replace them with those of the
    dark marshal. Bael is capable of ignoring any and all of
    the prerequisites for the class when he reforges them,
    however he is unlikely to accept anyone not of a Lawful
    Evil alignment, or who does not possess the Devotee of
    Darkness feat.
    Diabolical Empowerment: Bael uses his Wisdom
    modifier instead of his Charisma modifier when determining
    the power of special attacks and special qualities.
    Disease (Su): A creature struck by Bael’s bite attack
    must succeed on a DC 51 Fortitude save or be infected
    with a vile disease known as devil chills (incubation
    period 1d2 days, damage 1d6 Str).
    Fires of Avernus (Su): At will, Bael can cause the
    ground of Avernus to erupt in flames. The blast originates
    at any point Bael is capable of viewing (including
    remote means) and has a 60 foot radius. The blast deals
    25d6 fire and bludgeoning damage and flings those
    struck 200 feet into the air. A Reflex save DC 50 negates
    the fling effect; there is no save against the damage.
    Those flung lose their next turn while in the air, and fall
    to the ground back in their original square on Bael's next
    turn; fallen victims suffer the appropriate falling damage
    and are considered prone. Those within 120 ft of the
    original blast at this time must make a Reflex save DC
    50 or take 20d6 bludgeoning damage and 10d6 fire damage
    from the falling rock and magma.
    Opposed rank checks apply to affect deities or cosmic
    entities with the fling effect.
    Genocidal Strike (Ex): Bael's wrath can consume
    entire races as he wages a devastating conflict across the
    planes to reveal diabolical superiority. 9/day, he may
    channel this anger into his attacks. Bael chooses a creature
    type and for the next three rounds his attacks carry
    the power of complete destruction. The appropriate creature
    struck by Bael's attacks must make a Fortitude save
    DC 50. Succeed merely results in an additional 10d6
    points of damage. The body of any creature that fails its
    save or dies from the additional damage explodes, killing
    the creature instantly and dealing the creature’s HD in d6
    damage in a radius of the creature’s space x 6 feet. Bael
    is immune to this damage. Interestingly enough, Bael
    need not select a subtype of humanoids or outsiders, but
    he must select an alignment if he chooses to Genocidal
    Strike creatures from either of these types.
    Opposed rank checks apply to affect deities or cosmic
    entities with the death effect.
    Hell’s Fire (Su): Bael may use Hell’s Fire 14/day,
    dealing 14d12 points of diabolical damage in a line 10
    feet wide and 1400 feet long (Ref save DC 50 for half
    damage). Bael’s Hell’s Fire appears like a blast of red
    and orange flames that detonate with a thunderous explosion,
    causing an additional 6d12 points of sonic and
    6d12 points of fire damage to all within 10 feet of the
    impact.
    Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, Bael must
    hit with his tail slap attack. He can then attempt to start a
    grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of
    opportunity. If he wins the grapple check, Bael establishes
    a hold and can constrict.
    Infernal Nobility (Ex): As the Lord of the First, Bael
    has a status equivalent to that of the gods. Bael possesses
    a cosmic rank of 9. While in Avernus (and anywhere else
    on Hell that Asmodeus allows), Bael functions as an
    Intermediate god with a cosmic rank of 12.
    Infernal Strategist (Ex): Bael’s legendary leadership
    skill bolsters his servants and terrifies his foes. As an
    Infernal Strategist, Bael recognizes no equal when it
    comes to military strategy and tactics. Bael enjoys speaking
    to his troops, bolstering their courage and dedication
    in the cause of war. As a full round action, Bael may
    give a rousing speech to his troops instructing them how
    to overcome even the most impossible odds. All beings
    allied to Bael who hear his speech receive a +9 circumstance
    bonus to their armor class, attacks, damage, and
    saves and receive immunity to spells and effects from the
    school of Enchantment (save those cast by Bael himself).
    This boon lasts for either 9 rounds or as long as the beneficiary
    remains within 999 feet of Bael. If Bael does not
    have the opportunity to provide such a speech to his
    allies before engagement, he may do so on the field as a
    standard action; in this event, the bonus is +3. Although
    Bael must wait at least three rounds between this use of
    Infernal Strategist, he seems to have no upward limit.
    When in combat, Bael may also determine the most efficient,
    brutal fashion to defeat his adversaries. After being
    engaged in combat for three rounds against any opponent,
    Bael receives a +6 circumstance bonus to all rolls
    made regarding that opponent, while the opponent takes
    a -6 circumstance penalty to all rolls regarding Bael
    (these bonuses and penalties do not apply to rank
    checks). Thus, if Bael is facing two fighters and one
    cleric for three rounds, he would gain this advantage
    against all three adversaries. If a barbarian entered combat
    two rounds later, Bael would gain the advantage
    against this new threat after three rounds. The benefits of
    this aspect of Internal Strategist last as long as Bael remains
    in combat with the foe or foes that initiated the
    benefit. If Bael and his adversary/adversaries are separated
    for more than nine rounds, the effects of this ability
    are eliminated until another three consecutive rounds of
    combat passes.
    Master of the Infernal Gates (Su): Charged with
    defending the First Perdition, Bael can sense the presence
    of any non Lawful Evil being that enters Avernus.
    He is immediately aware of the location of entry to
    within 100 miles, relative strength (in levels (Hit Dice),
    but not class), number, and alignment and conviction (as
    a detect spell) of such beings the instant they enter Avernus.
    Bael suffers no discomfort even if millions of beings
    enter Avernus simultaneously. As Master of the
    Infernal Gates, Bael may also close any and all portals in
    Avernus as a full round action 3/day. Not only does this
    keep beings from using any portal from any location
    across the Cosmos to enter Avernus, it also sharply limits
    the power of planeshift and other forms of travel into
    and out of Avernus. Attempts to planeshift or teleport
    when Bael closes the gates require that the caster succeed
    in an opposed caster level check against Bael
    (caster level 49th). Bael may keep the portals closed for
    up to nine minutes with no adverse effects. If he needs to
    close them longer, he can do so for up to nine hours by
    taking a full round action each round to maintain the
    block. Bael is exhausted after keeping the gates open
    past nine minutes, for a length of time equal to twice the
    amount of time the gates were closed.
    Deities or cosmic entities can make an opposed rank
    check rather than a caster level check to breach the gates
    of Avernus; Bael gains a +8 bonus to resist such attempts.
    The Might of Hell (Su): Bael’s presence is so terrible
    that he can corrupt an entire area with but a thought.
    Thrice per day as a free action, Bael may unhallow an
    area equal to 1200 feet (associated spell effects function
    as though cast by a 49th level Sorcerer).
    Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 51, initial damage
    1d8 Constitution, secondary damage death.
    Regeneration (Ex): Bael takes normal damage from
    anarchic, epic, good, and silver weapons.
    Spell-Like Abilities: At will - animate dead, baleful
    polymorph, blasphemy, charm monster, create undead,
    deeper darkness, delayed blast fireball, desecrate, detect
    chaos, detect good, detect magic, dominate monster,
    fireball, flame strike, greater dispel magic, greater invisibility,
    greater teleport, magic circle against chaos,
    magic circle against good, mass hold monster, mirage
    arcana, persistent image, polymorph, power word stun,
    produce flame, pyrotechnics, restoration, resurrection,
    suggestion, symbol of pain, unhallow, unholy aura, wall
    of fire; 9/day - blade barrier, destruction, divine power,
    greater restoration, magic vestment, magic weapon,
    meteor swarm, power word blind, power word kill, spiritual
    weapon, true resurrection; 6/day – accursed, hellball,
    oppress, tyranny; 3/day – wish. Caster level 49th;
    save DC 30 + spell level. Bael also casts spells from the
    War Domain; these are included in the list above.
    Abyssbane: This powerful artifact, a gift from Asmodeus
    for Bael’s Four Cross, is dreaded by all demons
    and has killed hundreds of thousands, if not millions, in
    the years Bael fought against the Abyssal hordes. Abyssbane
    appears as a simple single shaft of dark gray hellforged
    iron with a simple cross-guard and hilt. The blade
    itself has terrible Infernal runes in the bloodgrove, and it
    is constantly wreathed in orange flames. Abyssbane is a
    +6 hellforge iron greatsword of hellfire blasting. It
    grants its wielder the ability to smite demons 6/day, dealing
    an additional 60 points of damage on a successful
    strike. Any demon struck by the blade must make a Fortitude
    save DC 50 or lose the benefits of their damage
    reduction, poison immunity and spell resistance for 9
    rounds.
    I've only been here 2 minutes, but I'd like to say that having class levels was how I figured it would be going when I was laying it out before fluff-wise. Just my two cents though, Domiel coming soon.

Extra note: Barachiel inferiour 1-on-1 to Bael? Squeee my fluff matters!
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2011-02-22 at 12:24 AM.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

The intent was always that they be more or less equivalent in power, as they have very similar roles. As for Barachiel being weaker than Bael 1-1, Barachiel is a bard and Bael is an (effective) fighter; it only makes sense for Bael to be able to take him apart. Barachiel's advantages are his ability to inspire, which allows him to match Bael's superior combat abilities and strategic skill, and the fact that he can take the initiative as Bael has to stay on defense against Demonic attack (Although the fact that Baator and Celestia are technically at peace means that they really don't interact much).

In regards to building the Hebdomad and Powers, we basically have two options.
    One, the Dicefreaks method. They are built using advanced versions of regular archons with a great deal of class levels and a template to give the powers of their title.
    Advantages: Easy to make, allows us to draw a parallel between us and Dicefreaks, doesn't neccessitate ad-hoc special abilities to give them spell casting or the like, can draw from established class abilities, can be safely assumed to be balanced.
    Disadvantages: Makes them seem sort of samey, doesn't allow them to be a whole lot better than the original creature in terms of stats.
    Two, the official method. They are built from the ground up as unique entities.
    Advantages: Allows for superior customization, fits better with the High Castes.
    Disadvantages: Difficult to make and keep balanced, requires ad-hoc abilities if they want to be able to cast or do anything like it, creates drastically different creatures based on creator.

To elaborate on my issue integrating the High Castes, they have innate spellcasting which doesn't work too well with giving spellcasting through class levels. It is not impossible though; as Beelzebub and Belial don't seem to have any trouble with it.

My personal opinion is that Barachiel is a max HD Trumpet archon (Perhaps with some template boosting him) with levels in Bard or associated prestige classes while the others are either Throne Archons or High Castes (Probably Dominions) with appropriate classes with the exception of Zaphkiel, who can be built from the ground up with class levels. That way we draw a parallel to Hell; the first of them is of an innately weaker type than the others, who all come from the same basic stock, and the one at the top is a unique entity of incredible power. (For comparison Bael is a pit fiend; Dispater, Mammon, Leviathan, Lillith, and Mephistopheles are hellspawn; Belial is a fallen celestial of some unknown type, as he only has innate spellcasting up to 5th level spells; Beelzebub is a fallen solar; and Asmodeus is unique. Of the former lords Alastor, Adremmalek, and Sammael are hellspawn; Geryon is either a half-dragon pit fiend or a half-fiend dragon of some sort (His parents were a paragon Pit Fiend and Tiamat); Astarte was some sort of celestial (She isn't statted); Moloch is a fallen Astral Deva; and Lucifer is unique)
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2011-02-22 at 01:14 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ogre in the Playground

Your Barachiel is much too powerful; he's supposed to be roughly equivalent to Bael. That and Bard casting is sort of integral to his character and nine feet tall isn't gargantuan, its large. Finally, are the Hebdomad and Powers going to have class levels the way Dicefreaks did it?
    First of all; he is easily tone-down able, simply by dropping the hit dice, and lowering his con. However, at higher levels, such as the actual target CR you called for, 1400 hitpoints are really, really, really not going to cut it. Literally, just about any melee character I could make could kill him in two to three rounds.

Second; bard casting is never mentioned in the fluff, bard casting has very little to do with his actual position (that being the defender of lunia (and, by definition, the rest of the heavens) and messenger of celestia.

Third; sorry I missed that. Honestly, nine feet seemed kind of small considering the size of many devils and demons.

Fourth; class levels works, to a point, but they can also hedge someone into something via class features. I guess I could add Marshal levels to him, reducing his Outsider hit dice by roughly 50 and adding 30 or so levels of marshal if you really want me to try to mirror Dicefreaks.

In fact, I don't think even Eblis could lay a finger on him despite having two CR and supposedly a great deal more power. (Seriously, 96 HD? Asmodeus doesn't even have that much. Just as a heads up, when I suggested you read Gates of Hell I did in fact mean it.)
    Eblis is 6-7 CR lower. Considering that I just pulled that out of my head without even checking the chapter, I can tell you that I did read the Gates of Hell.

At Bael, first of all, "oh my god that thing can be killed in a turn or less with optimized ability damage/drain" was the first thing that came to my mind, especially at that level. Seriously.

Second, toning it down is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    I've only been here 2 minutes, but I'd like to say that having class levels was how I figured it would be going when I was laying it out before fluff-wise. Just my two cents though, Domiel coming soon.

Extra note: Barachiel inferiour 1-on-1 to Bael? Squeee my fluff matters!
    Why would that make sense? Do the actual Trumpet archons have class levels? Why would a Trumpet archon just magically gain 30 or so class levels?

The class levels themselves honestly don't do much for the character besides extra class features and maybe some sort of tie in to the fluff (maybe).

The intent was always that they be more or less equivalent in power, as they have very similar roles. As for Barachiel being weaker than Bael 1-1, Barachiel is a bard and Bael is an (effective) fighter; it only makes sense for Bael to be able to take him apart. Barachiel's advantages are his ability to inspire, which allows him to match Bael's superior combat abilities and strategic skill, and the fact that he can take the initiative as Bael has to stay on defense against Demonic attack (Although the fact that Baator and Celestia are technically at peace means that they really don't interact much).
    Nowhere in his fluff does it say he is a bard. From what I can see; he has to defend Lunia from invasion. He is a messenger. No bard. In fact, that sounds not like bard, but rather like marshal (which I suppose I mentioned above).

Inspiring allies while still having at least some sort of combat retention.

In regards to building the Hebdomad and Powers, we basically have two options.
    One, the Dicefreaks method. They are built using advanced versions of regular archons with a great deal of class levels and a template to give the powers of their title.
    Advantages: Easy to make, allows us to draw a parallel between us and Dicefreaks, doesn't neccessitate ad-hoc special abilities to give them spell casting or the like, can draw from established class abilities, can be safely assumed to be balanced.
    Disadvantages: Makes them seem sort of samey, doesn't allow them to be a whole lot better than the original creature in terms of stats.
    This method sort of seems better, at least for Barachiel, mostly because Barachiel is more like a role and less a single entity, so having advanced regular Archons, maybe with levels, would make a little more sense.

Two, the official method. They are built from the ground up as unique entities.
    Advantages: Allows for superior customization, fits better with the High Castes.
    Disadvantages: Difficult to make and keep balanced, requires ad-hoc abilities if they want to be able to cast or do anything like it, creates drastically different creatures based on creator.
    Why not use both? You could use this for the High Castes and Erathaol, and the first method for the more Trumpet/Sword Archon based Tome Archons.

My personal opinion is that Barachiel is a max HD Trumpet archon (Perhaps with some template boosting him) with levels in Bard or associated prestige classes while the others are either Throne Archons or High Castes (Probably Dominions) with appropriate classes with the exception of Zaphkiel, who can be built from the ground up with class levels. That way we draw a parallel to Hell; the first of them is of an innately weaker type than the others, who all come from the same basic stock, and the one at the top is a unique entity of incredible power. (For comparison Bael is a pit fiend; Dispater, Mammon, Leviathan, Lillith, and Mephistopheles are hellspawn; Belial is a fallen celestial of some unknown type, as he only has innate spellcasting up to 5th level spells; Beelzebub is a fallen solar; and Asmodeus is unique. Of the former lords Alastor, Adremmalek, and Sammael are hellspawn; Geryon is either a half-dragon pit fiend or a half-fiend dragon of some sort (His parents were a paragon Pit Fiend and Tiamat); Astarte was some sort of celestial (She isn't statted); Moloch is a fallen Astral Deva; and Lucifer is unique)
    I can certainly agree with that last part, but again, nothing in his fluff says anything about Bard. In fact, bard would be suboptimal considering that he is tasked with commanding the armies of celestia.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-02-22 at 08:01 AM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Retriever Hound Archon is done. Compared to the standard variety, it has:

• -2 Strength, +2 Wisdom
    • Track as a bonus feat
    • Mark of Justice as a 1/day spell-like ability.
    • +1 CR
    • +1 LA
    • Incapacitate (Su)
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-22 at 11:34 AM.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

I updated Barachiel to be CR 55, with 40 outsider hit dice, 30 marshal levels, commensurate skills, feats, ability scores, and slightly reduced damage from all abilities, as well as reduced save DCs. What do you guys think?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

Fly speed is too slow
    Fast as lightning is still too good
    BAB should be +65 (40 outsider, 20 marshal, 5 epic marshal)
    Sword of the Host is missing attack bonii
    The full attack damage is less than the regular attack; both should have a base damage of 2d6
    Damage reduction should be overcome by something and should probably be a little lower (Probably anarchic, epic, evil, and some material)
    Saves are off, not sure of the exact values but since he doesn’t have equal Dex, Con, and Wis and I’m sure Marshal doesn’t have all good saves they shouldn’t all be the same.
    Strength is a bit high, everything else is good. I would suggest late 30s to early 40s.
    Feats should be alphabetized, sorted into Feats and Epic Feats, and have their source noted if it isn’t Core or BoED
    Minor thing, but treasure should probably be quintuple standard
    The Blade of the Heavenly Host should have a total enhancement bonus of around +15 and you should note whether the extra damage stacks with the Shocking Blast
    Smote should be reduced to 45d6
    You need an [/i] at the end of spell-likes and probably don’t have enough
    Call the Host is fine, as long as you are considering it to be a special ability of his and not something that all the Hebdomad get.
    Really though, I would suggest putting the Hebdomad aside for now until we come to a conclusion as for how we want to build them. We can keep yours if we use method 2, but for method 1 I’ll have to make a template and rebuild him.
    As for using Marshal or Bard, I would say that is Chivalry’s call since he’s the one actually writing the Hebdomad; you’re just doing the crunch. I would say bard since he is a herald and patron of heralds, which is explicitly what bards do.
    Finally, the Lords of the Nine are immune to ability damage/drain as part of their divine abilities and Eblis is in fact CR 67. 9 feet is actually about average for devils, since most of the more powerful ones actually shrink down from Pit Fiend/Maleficarim size after they become Peers.
    Spoiler
    Show