New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Gates of Heaven: Giving Celestia the Dicefreaks Treatment

If you recall the archon list, there are 6 trumpet archons for numerological reasons, not 7. You can probably omit the ocean-destroying one, since that would be kind of complicated to figure out. I also agree with Eldan that they should be focused on summoning and support as well as pure blasting.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it, although I think a few blasting effects would give them a suitably apocalyptic feel. Perhaps some changes could be made to that super blasty attack Barachiel has or one of the Powers could do it. I've been toying with the idea of making Israfael for quite a while, he would certainly be a good choice for that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, according to planewalker, Israfil is in charge of the Trumpet Archons. Perhaps he can be an advanced HD classed Trumpet who serves Barachiel?
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-28 at 08:21 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a possibility, and quite likely what will end up happening, but I had one of my flashes of inspiration and ended up writing this:

Israfael the Last Trumpet

Zaphkiel is no fool, he is well aware that should the Host of the Pit be unleashed or the Hordes of the Abyss unite under a Demon Emperor the forces of heaven would be overwhelmed far beyond what they are capable of withstanding. As a precautionary measure against this, sealed in a vault with seven locks, is Israfael of the Last Trumpet. His strength is incredible, but his true power is in his trumpet; an ancient artifact formed from the shattered essence of the Supreme Virtue. Should the end days come, each of the Hebdomad will bring their keys and unlock the seven locks, one of silver, one of gold, one of crystal, one of pearl-steel, one of platinum, one of a single carved jewel, and one of corporeal light, and release him upon the planes. With the first sound of his trumpet, the planes will shake with its tone and the skies will be covered with clouds. With the second sound of his trumpet, fire will rain from the skies to punish the wicked. With the third sound of his trumpet, all life everywhere will be destroyed, sending their souls to their final judgment, and the only things remaining will be the shattered remains of the Circle of Three amongst the ruins of their creation.
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2011-02-28 at 08:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

I am almost seeing there being guards on each lock, the guards being advanced Armageddon Archons.

I dunno, maybe the advanced Archons and Israfael were corrupted by the devils/demons, and tried to start the end early. The Tome Archons could have smote them down, locked Israfael away, and forced the advanced Archons to guard him in penance.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-02-28 at 08:44 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I didn't really think it out very much; but I was envisioning it being on Chronias, which is pretty good protection as it is. I have not heard of Armageddon Archons before though, where are they from?
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    Well, I didn't really think it out very much; but I was envisioning it being on Chronias, which is pretty good protection as it is. I have not heard of Armageddon Archons before though, where are they from?
    Just the name I was giving the Archons you/eldan described earlier. There wasn't really another name for them, and they seemed to be the "heralds of the Armageddon" so to speak.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

I see. That's not a bad name, if perhaps a little inappropriate for CR 12 creatures. What do you think of altering that lightning shooting ability of Barachiel's to have a more apocalyptic feel?
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

I see. That's not a bad name, if perhaps a little inappropriate for CR 12 creatures. What do you think of altering that lightning shooting ability of Barachiel's to have a more apocalyptic feel?
    What were you thinking of? Something that forces the target to make a Fortitude save or Die? Larger area of the effect?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a possibility, and quite likely what will end up happening, but I had one of my flashes of inspiration and ended up writing this:

Israfael the Last Trumpet

Zaphkiel is no fool, he is well aware that should the Host of the Pit be unleashed or the Hordes of the Abyss unite under a Demon Emperor the forces of heaven would be overwhelmed far beyond what they are capable of withstanding. As a precautionary measure against this, sealed in a vault with seven locks, is Israfael of the Last Trumpet. His strength is incredible, but his true power is in his trumpet; an ancient artifact formed from the shattered essence of the Supreme Virtue. Should the end days come, each of the Hebdomad will bring their keys and unlock the seven locks, one of silver, one of gold, one of crystal, one of pearl-steel, one of platinum, one of a single carved jewel, and one of corporeal light, and release him upon the planes. With the first sound of his trumpet, the planes will shake with its tone and the skies will be covered with clouds. With the second sound of his trumpet, fire will rain from the skies to punish the wicked. With the third sound of his trumpet, all life everywhere will be destroyed, sending their souls to their final judgment, and the only things remaining will be the shattered remains of the Circle of Three amongst the ruins of their creation.
    Awesome.

So, I'm guessing there are no stats needed for Israfil?

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

That Israfael at least. If I had to stat him, I'd peg him at about CR 130. Most likely if he shows up he'll be a Power in a similar vein to Eblis (That is that despite being technically lower ranked he's more powerful than most of the Hebdomad).

As for Barachiel's ability I would suggest keeping it mechanically the same but add meteors, pillars of fire, raining acid, locusts, stuff like that. Don't worry about it if Israfael is going to show up.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

Is Eblis in "Devils for Dice Freaks" or "Dukes of Hell"?

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

Neither, he's in The Archdevils.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #674
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd think that Israfael is not something that should be statted up, really. He's a background thing, if he's fought, it's too late already. More like an elder evil or a natural phenomenon than a real creature.

So, for the trumpet archons, I'd say we add one Judgement Archon. They aren't responsible for the Final Judgement, but they are there to dispense local catastrophes when necessary. Give them the ability to create the the classical plagues with their trumpets: darkness, locust swarms, diseases, fire and storms. That's one of the seven ranks filled, then.

A second rank would be the Herald Archon, the one who summons the hosts of Celestia. I'd see him summoning large groups of hounds (hounds are lower than trumpets, right? I'm not sure and AFB).

A third rank, and one that's important, is the Messenger Archon. It's a job Trumpets have canonically, and at least one of them should do it.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ogre in the Playground

So, in terms of CR, it would roughly be like so?

Judgment>Herald>Harbinger>Regular>Messenger.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #676

What would the Harbinger do?

Also, unless we make some major changes to the established hierarchy, they should not be too much more powerful than normal trumpets.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maybe harbinger could be the ones to actually carry out the disasters? such as the judgement decides when to start them and then the heralds warn the people of the coming plagues then the harbingers carry them out?

18. - Top - End - #678

In that case, I'd rather put the Judgement somewhere higher up in the hierarchy. Someone else gives the order, the Trumpets carry it out.

How about another archon responsible for opening things, in the widest sense? In Revelation, one trumpet opens the seals. I'd also include the trumpets of Jericho, so this one could destroy fortifications with it's trumpet.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-03-01 at 08:29 AM.

19. - Top - End - #679

So would that be like a disintegrate effect?
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

20. - Top - End - #680

I've been thinking about this. Here are a few rules suggestions for variant trumpets, organized by what their trumpets do. All these can be used once per day.

Breaker of Seals
    When blown, the Breaker's Trumpet projects a sixty (or so) foot cone that has the effects of a Freedom spell and a targeted dispel magic that, however, only affects certain spells, namely those that seal or lock a portal or doorway (e.g. Hold Portal, Arcane Lock) or bar creatures (or certain kinds of creatures) from entering an area (e.g. Antipathy, Antilife Shell, Magic Circle against Alignment). The effect's caster level is (appropriate number).

Actually, thinking about it, that does sound almost a bit more like a chaotic than a lawful thing. Oh, well. Can't have everything.

Harbinger
    When blown, the Harbinger's trumpet summons a unit of celestial warriors. 2d6 (appropriate intermediate level archons, probably elite warrior hounds) are summoned.

Thunderer
    The Thunderer's trumpet, when blown, creates a (long range) cone that shatters all brittle objects as if they were affected by the area effect of a shatter spell. Additionally, a single solid object or building of up to (immense size) in the cone is destroyed as if by shatter's targeted effect. Finally, the cone deals (amount) of sonic damage to all creatures in the area. A fortitude save (DC appropriate) halves the damage.

Cataclysm
    The cataclysm's trumpet, when blown, brings down the wrath of the heavens upon an area, creating a supernatural Storm of Vengeance effect centered on the Archon that lasts for 24 hours, with no concentration required from the Archon.

21. - Top - End - #681

so would the storm of vengence consist of the 5-10 turn effects for most of the 24 hours or would it repeat the 1-4?
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

22. - Top - End - #682

The way I see it, it's a powerful storm, followed by 24 hours of darkness.

Storm of Vengeance is really a pretty underwhelming spell for anything other than wiping out 2000 level 1 commoners standing close together.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ha! Now how's that for creative motivation?

Eldan, I really like your suggestions for the Trumpets. I'll be honest, when I first pictured the concept in my mind, I was thinking of just a single, generic summoner/blaster. The fire and rain of blood stuff was just gonna' get written off as poetic license from good ol' John the Revelata'. But you and the rest of the team have really broadened them. We could probably fill out the whole choir with these guys!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

24. - Top - End - #684

Nice to hear. I might try my hand at them after I've done the lanterns, though I'm not sure how to balance at such high levels.

I've also done some more work on Lunia, would be nice if you people went to check it out, I haven't gotten much feedback, really.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

I made some suggestions a while back, but I missed your update since I hadn't bookmarked the thread. That problem has now been solved.

I would say that Heart's Faith would be rather cosmopolitan, but with a strict customs house-like setup around the actual portal to track who exactly is going into Celestia and how long they are going to stay and that Soul's Desire would probably be a sleepy little town, since I doubt that much traffic passes between the two planes; beyond perhaps Good people who would rather avoid the bureaucracy on the other portals.
    In any event, sorry for the lack of activity. I'll do the Dominion's spells and the Throne soon and then can focus on other assignments.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #686

Interesting, actually, that you think there wouldn't be much traffic. Bytopia is not only one of the major raw materials producer of the planes, it also has the greatest nonmagical craftsmen of all planes. So any plane that needs a lot of raw material and goods will have a lot of trade with bytopia. And, in my imagination, at least, Celestia is, more or less, in a permanent state of "preparing for war".

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

My mistake then, I thought that Bytopia was a rural place modeled after the English countryside.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #688

That too. It's both, really. For some reason, all those quiet little village smithies just produce amazingly great weapons and tools. And the other layer is wilderness full of valuable natural resources.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ogre in the Playground

Just finished my entry for the Base Class Contest, and I pretty much finished a project I had started on BG, so I am pretty much free (unless something else comes up) for any 'brewin' to be done.

So, what is needed? The Judgement Archons?

A really complete list of needed items to be homebrewed would be really appreciated, so I don't have to keep on asking. Preferably linked in the OP.

The list in the OP is nice, but it isn't very detailed, doesn't describe the goal behind each of the items (What CR for each? What is a minor power? What is the philosophy of celestia? What new archon stats? Etc.)

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #690

Updated the Lantern archons, made a few more now.

Unosorta:
    The general problem we have is that there's just not much out there on the upper planes. Even Planescape had corresponding chapters in Planes of Law, Planes of Conflict and Planes of Chaos, but that's maybe between fifty and a hundred pages of fluff for each plane, not very much, while the lower planes had that, plus half the published adventures, Faces of Evil and Hellbound: the Blood War. In 3.5, we have the Fiendish Codices and the Book of Vile Darkness, along with at least part of pretty much every monster book out there against the Book of Exalted Deeds, which is mostly player material.

So, what is the Philosophy of Celestia? Apparently, it's lawful good and appreciates both warlikeness and asceticism. We don't know much more either, really.
    What challenge rating? Well, we want seven varieties of each of the seven canonical archons, and they should probably be a few points higher than the base archon. Make what fits. I'm mostly done with the lanterns, but I don't know how much else is done. Take one of the seven canonical ranks and go nuts.
    Minor powers, while outside my domain, are apparently the midddle management of Celestia. Below the Tomes, but above the seven canonicals. Supervisors of various aspects of Celestia, local rulers, generals... mostly unique, probably. I'm not quite sure, really.
    And finally, I could use some help, or at least suggestions, over in the layers thread.

And someone (hint hint, Mr. Supervisor) should really go through the threads and collect all we have written so far. Make a kind of compendium.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-03-09 at 05:28 AM.