New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Gates of Heaven: Giving Celestia the Dicefreaks Treatment

After a brief absence, I return with more Hounds. I'm resolving to make a new variant every day and to have the Dominion and Throne finished within two weeks.

The Bloodhound:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bloodhound Archon
    Medium Outsider (Archon, Extraplanar, Good, Lawful)
    Hit Dice: 6d8+15 (43 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 40 ft. (16 squares)
    Armor Class: 22 (+2 Dex, +9 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 20
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+8
    Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d6+1) or warhammer +8 melee (1d8+3) or light crossbow +8 ranged (1d6) or net +8 ranged
    Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d6+2) and slam +3 melee (1d4+1) or warhammer +8/+3 melee (1d6+3) and bite +3 melee (1d6+2) or light crossbow +8 ranged (1d6) or net +8 ranged
    Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
    Special Attacks: Spell-like Abilities, trip
    Special Qualities: Aura of menace, change shape, damage reduction 10/evil, darkvision 60 ft., keen scent, immunity to electricity and petrification, magic circle against evil, outsider traits, spell resistance 16, teleport, tongues
    Saves: Fort +6 (+10 against poisons), Ref +7, Will +7
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 14
    Skills: Gather Information +12, Heal +14, Hide +12, Jump +12, Knowledge (Geography) +13, Knowledge (The Planes) +13, Listen +12, Move Silently +12, Search +13, Sense Motive +12, Spot +12, Survival +14 (+16 on other planes or when following tracks), Swim +5
    Feats: Endurance, Improved Initiative, Self-Sufficient, TrackB
    Environment: Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or team (3-5)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items
    Alignment: Always Lawful Good
    Advancement: 7-9 HD (Medium); 10-18 HD (Large) or by class level (Favored class Scout)
    Level Adjustment: +4

Despite its jowly countenance and long floppy ears, the gleam in this Archon’s eyes suggests a keen intellect as it unswervingly follows its trail. The thick warhammer at its left hip and the short crossbow on its right, however, suggest that the quarry is likely to meet a rather painful justice

When the enemy breaks and flees from the field, or when those who flee justice must be brought back to it, Celestia calls in the Bloodhound Archons. Peerless trackers and woodsmen, the Bloodhounds can track their prey even across the planes.

Combat

While hardly weak, Bloodhounds have neither the strength nor inclination for front-line combat. Still, they are expected to be able to apprehend potentially dangerous individuals and are accordingly strong and tough. Their crossbows have blunt tips that allow them to deal nonlethal damage with no penalty, and should it come to close combat they are trained to use their warhammers and nets to incapacitate the quarry.

Aura of Menace (Su): Will DC 16 negates

Change Shape (Su): A Bloodhound Archon can assume any canine form of Small to Large size. While in canine form, the Bloodhound loses its bite, slam, crossbow, net and warhammer attacks, but gains the bite attack of the form it chooses. For the purposes of this ability, canines include any doglike or wolflike animal of the animal type.

Keen Scent (Ex): A Bloodhound Archon quadruples all applicable distances for the purposes of using scent and can always tell if someone is on the same plane as them if they have smelled them at any point.

Spell-Like Abilities (Su): At will-aid, continual flame, detect evil, 1/day locate creature.

Trip (Ex): A bloodhound archon that hits with its short sword can attempt to trip the opponent (+2 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the bloodhound.

and the Foxhound (I was tempted to, but did not, make any Metal Gear jokes)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Foxhound Archon
    Hit Dice: 6d8+15 (43 hp)
    Initiative: +8
    Speed: 40 ft. (16 squares)
    Armor Class: 20 (+2 Dex, +8 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+6
    Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6) or dagger +8 melee (1d4)
    Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6) and slam +2 melee (1d4) or dagger +8/+3 melee (1d4) and bite +1 melee (1d6)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
    Special Attacks: Spell-like Abilities, trip
    Special Qualities: Aura of menace, change shape, damage reduction 10/evil, darkvision 60 ft., evasion, immunity to electricity and petrification, magic circle against evil, scent, outsider traits, spell resistance 16, teleport, tongues
    Saves: Fort +6 (+10 against poisons), Ref +7, Will +8
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 14
    Skills: Bluff +13, Decipher Script +12, Disable Device +12, Disguise +10, Escape Artist +10, Gather Information +10, Hide +10, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (Local) +12, Knowledge (The Planes) +12, Open Lock +10, Move Silently +10, Search +12, Sense Motive +11
    Feats: Combat Expertise, Dodge, Skill Focus (Sense Motive)B, Weapon Finesse
    Organization: Solitary or pair
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Advancement: 7-9 HD (Medium); 10-18 HD (Large) or by class level (Favored class ?)
    Level Adjustment: +4

This creature has a dog’s head with a thin snout and pointed ears and the body of a slim human, if one covered in silky fur. You can barely make out a dagger hidden in its fur as it looks around; obviously missing nothing with its intelligent eyes.

The threat of espionage is a recurring problem for Celestia; enveloped as they are in a cold war with the sneakiest and most deceitful creatures in existence. To counter the efforts of the Denomination of Espionage are the Foxhounds, a subset of Hound Archon dedicated to finding and removing fiendish infiltrators.

Combat

Foxhounds are not as strong as their cousins and will try to avoid a straight out fight if possible, preferring to perform hit and run attacks with their throwing axes. If they do enter close combat, they use their shortswords in conjunction with their strong bite; but will generally only do so if they have outflanked the enemy or are attacking lightly armored artillery.

Aura of Menace (Su): Will DC 16 negates

Change Shape (Su): A Foxhound Archon can assume any canine form of Small to Large size. While in canine form, the Foxhound loses its bite, slam, and dagger attacks, but gains the bite attack of the form it chooses. For the purposes of this ability, canines include any doglike or wolflike animal of the animal type. Unlike other Hound Archons, they can also take the form of any humanoid as per the Alter Self spell (Ignoring the restriction of type).

Spell-Like Abilities (Su): At will-aid, continual flame, detect evil, message, 1/day-invisibility.

Trip (Ex): A Foxhound archon that hits with its short sword can attempt to trip the opponent (+0 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Foxhound.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

2. - Top - End - #722
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, quick question before I start taking some sort of 'charge' and organize this.

How much of the OVER STRUCTURE for Celestia have we made?

3. - Top - End - #723
    Colossus in the Playground

Over structure?

You mean geographical, or the archon hierarchy? The first is pretty much done in a lot of material already and we are just detailing it, the second we have already written a lot about.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-03-30 at 02:39 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

I meant the over structure of the Project, actually. I'm sorry since I wasn't clear when I said that.

That being said, we should catalog all the important fluffy decisions and agreements and stuff.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, here's what I know; but someone will probably have to add some parts I missed:
    Barachiel is done for the Hebdomad, the rest haven't been started. Unosarta is working on them.
    We've got 9 Powers in concept form, but nothing beyond that. Nobody is working on them as of yet, but Eldan, Myself, and blackjack each suggested three.
    For the High Castes, the Principality, Authority, and Virtue are done; the Dominion is almost done; and the Throne is well underway. I'm working on them.
    Below that, we've got Dice's list (Potentially incomplete, I just copied his post rather go through the rest of the thread looking for the others that got suggested):
    Spoiler
    Show

• Throne
    • Scepter
    • Blade--Sword, __
    o Sword--??
    o --
    • Truth--Justice, Righteousness
    • Justice--retribution effects, anti-Evil debuffs
    o Righteousness--, pro-Good buffs
    • Life--__, __, __
    • Word--Logos, Pathos, Ethos
    o Logos--utterances, atonement
    o Pathos--power words, charm
    o Ethos--divine word spells, geas
    • --
    • --
    • Sentinel--Owl, Falcon, Dove, Eagle, Osprey
    o Owl--petrification, sight in darkness
    o Falcon--dazing/stunning, distance sight
    o Dove--calm emotions, detect intentions
    o Eagle--exhaustion, stealth detection
    o Osprey--fear, detect illusions/invisibility
    • Hound--Greyhound, Bloodhound, Harrier, Foxhound, Retriever
    o Greyhound--sprinting, evading/dodging
    o Bloodhound--tracking, plane shifting
    o Harrier--endurance, delayed damage
    o Foxhound--detection, ??
    o Retriever--fetching, marking (mark of justice etc.)
    • Warden--Guardian, Watcher, Shield, __, __, __
    • Trumpet--Herald, Harbinger, __, __, __, __
    o Herald--long range communication
    o Harbinger--??
    • Lantern-Chastity, Temperance, Charity, Diligence, Patience, Kindess, Humility
    o Chastity--purify physical debuffs
    o Temperance--"damps" enemy attacks
    o Charity--grant uses of SLAs
    o Diligence--take 10/take 20 stuff
    o Patience--reroll some checks
    o Kindness--"linked minds" effect
    o Humility--remove mental debuffs

of which all of the Lanterns (Eldan), the Greyhound, Bloodhound, and Foxhound for the Hounds, the Phalanx for the Wardens, and the Eagle for the Sentinels (All me) are done.
    Layers wise, we just have Lunia. Eldan is working on them.
    For classes, we have blackjack's Celestial Warlock and the prestige classes that Sir_Chivalry made; although I don't know if a decision was ever made as to whether we were going to use those or make new ones.
    Otherwise, the only other decision I can recall is that we are using Dicefreaks canon for all planes outside of Celestia.
    Teamwise; I think we have Myself, Eldan, Chivalry, Tygre, Dice, Unosorta and you; blackjack has quit while Hamishspence, LOTRfan, and Zaydos haven't really contributed enough to be team members so far. As for their jobs, I've got them as:
    Me: High Castes and variants, mostly melee types
    Eldan: Planes and Lantern variants
    Chivalry: Prestige classes?
    Tygre: Overseer
    Dice: ???
    Unosorta: Hebdomad
    You: Organizing
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #726

Actually, Lunia isn't even half done. But it kinda feels no one is reading what I'm writing there, so I'm feeling a bit uninspired to continue. Some feedback and ideas would be really appreciated.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been following it, just haven't really commented since LOTRfan has mostly beat me to it. However, I've been working on the Hounds lately; so I can certainly provide some thoughts of how the Hounds of Lunia live and what do they do if you wish.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

I am following the Lunia thread. Its one of the only threads I've subscribed to. I've considered stating out the non-Archon creatures mentioned in it, but I'm not sure how much that would help the project...

What exactly do you want critiques on? Or is it just a general overview you want?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #729

Eh, what you're doing is fine. I'd just appreciate a few more people looking in, it feels a bit lonely over there.

And, well. My problem is this. I have half a dozen towns to stat up. After a while, my ideas for "mortal town at the gates of heaven" start running out.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Banned

Where are the Lantern variants?

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

Right here, although it was posted elsewhere:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Lantern of Virtue
    Tiny Outsider (Archon, Extraplanar, Good, Lawful, )
    HD 5d8+5 (22 hp)
    Speed Fly 60 ft. (perfect)
    Init: +6
    AC 20 ; touch 16; flat-footed 17
    (+3 natural, +2 size, +3 deflection, +2 Dex)
    BAB +5; Grp --
    Attack Light Ray +9 ranged touch (2d6) and Faerie Fire
    Full-Attack Full attack 2 light rays +9 ranged touch (2d6) and Faerie Fire
    Space 2.5 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
    Special Attacks Light Rays, Spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities Aura of Menace, Aura of Virtue, Damage Reduction 10/magic and evil, Darkvision 60 ft., Immunity to electricity and petrification, Magic circle against evil, Teleport, Tongues
    Saves Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +9
    Abilities Str --, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 16, Cha 16
    Skills Concentration +9, Diplomacy +11, Knowledge (The Planes) +6, Knowledge (Religion) +6, Sense Motive +11, Spot +11
    Feats Improved Initiative, Iron Will
    Environment Mount Celestia
    Organization Solitary, pair, constellation (3-5) or squad (6-12 and 1 hound archon)
    Challenge Rating 5
    Treasure None
    Alignment Always lawful good
    Advancement 6-8 HD (tiny), 9-12 HD (small)

Aura of Menace (Su) A righteous aura surrounds archons that fight or get angry. Any hostile creature within a 20-foot radius of an archon must succeed on a Will save (DC 17, charisma dependent, this includes a +2 racial bonus) to resist its effects. Those who fail take a -2 penalty on attacks, AC, and saves for 24 hours or until they successfully hit the archon that generated the aura. A creature that has resisted or broken the effect cannot be affected again by the same archon’s aura for 24 hours.

Light Ray (Ex): These rays have a range of 30 feet and their damage can not be countered by any kind of resistance. Creatures hit by them glow for one round, as if affected by a Faerie Fire spell.

Living Light (Ex): Lantern archons are creatures of living light. They gain a deflection bonus equal to their charisma bonus to armour class and are totally immune to all spells with the [light] descriptor. Their body continually sheds light as a torch, which overcomes all spells with the [darkness] descriptor of second level or lower. Finally, they can pass through all translucent, nonmagical materials (such as glass, crystal or water) at half speed.

Spell-Like Abilities (sp) At will—aid, detect evil, continual flame. 3/day: Daylight

The Virtues:

All seven virtues have the abilities described above, plus an aura and additional spell-like abilities, depending on their type. Each virtue also has it's own colour.

Caritas, the Lantern of Charity

Colour: Red

Aura of Charity (su):

Spell-like abilities: 3/day - Create Food and Water,

Humilitas, the Lantern of Humility

Colour: Orange

Aura of Humility(Su): The humility archon is surrounded by an aura that inspires quiet confidence in those doing a hard and unglamorous, but necessary job. All creatures within 20 feet of a humility archon that are currently ability damaged, blinded, deafened, exhausted, fatigued, nauseated, sickened, poisoned, diseased or suffering from energy drain gain a +4 morale bonus on all saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks and skill checks.

Spell-like abilities: 3/day: Shield other, Lesser Restoration

Industria, the Lantern of Diligence

Colour: Yellow

Aura of Diligence (Su): All creatures within 30 feet of a Lantern of Diligence can always take ten on any skill check, even if threatened, and receive a +2 morale bonus on the skill check if doing so. As long as they remain within 30 feet of the Lantern of Diligence, they are immune to fatigue, and if they are already fatigued, have the effect removed as long as they stay within the aura. Furthermore, they gain a +1 morale bonus on all will and fortitude saves.

Spell-like abilities: 3/day: Endure Elements, Remove Paralysis

Humanitas, the Lantern of Kindness

Colour: Green

Aura of Kindness (Su): All creatures within 30 feet of a Lantern of Kindness can feel each other's basic emotions, as if they were all under the effect of an Empathy power. All creatures within the aura must make a will save(DC 14) or have their attitude changed to friendly towards all other creatures within the effect (as if by charm person). Finally, all uses of the aid another action grant a +3 instead of a +2 bonus.

Spell-like abilities: 3/day: Remove Fear, Zone of Truth

Patientia, the Lantern of Patience

Colour: Blue

Aura of Patience (su): All creatures within 30 feet of the lantern of patience can choose to have their melee and ranged attacks deal nonlethal damage with no penalty, even with precision attacks such as a rogue's sneak attack. They gain a +5 morale bonus on all diplomacy checks.

Spell-like abilities: 3/day -Sleep, Enthrall

Temperantia, the Lantern of Temperance

Colour: Indigo

Aura of Temperance (Su): All creatures within 30 feet of a lantern of temperance have a +4 morale bonus on all saves versus glamer, charm, compulsion and figment effects, as well as a +5 morale bonus on all sense motive checks.

Spell-like abilities: 3/day Calm Emotions, Deathwatch

Castitas, the Lantern of Chastitiy

Colour: Violet

Aura of Chastity (su): All creatures within 30 feet of a lantern of chastity have a +2 morale bonus on all saves versus poisons and diseases, but also a -5 penalty on all bluff checks.

Spell-like abilities: 3/day: Sanctuary, Consecrate

As for the topic at hand, why don't you just stick with the settlements you have? If you can't think of anything interesting to say about the others than they probably won't be interesting to read; and I would rather you not get burned out this early.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Gates of Heaven Index
    "Repent ye, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."
    - The Book of Matthew; Book III, Verse II

Archons
    The Archon High Castes by Iamyourking
    Trumpet Archons
    - Disjunction Archon by The Tygre
    Sentinel Archons
    - Eagle Archon by Iamyourking
    Hound Archons
    - Bloodhound & Foxhound by Iamyourking
    - Greyhound Archon by Iamyourking
    - Retriever Archon by LOTRfan
    - Harrier Archon by The Tygre
    Warden Archons
    - Phalanx Archon (Formerly Legion Archon) by Iamyourking
    Lantern Archons
    - The Lanterns of Virtue - Lantern Archon Variants by Eldan

Others
    The Valorhammer by LOTRfan
    The Spiral Archon by Iamyourking (Note: The Spiral Archon has no place in the established Archon hierarchy and is entirely silly to boot. It is here because it would be a shame to let any monster go to waste. )

The Hebdomad and Powers
    Barachiel by Sir_Chivalry
    - Stats by Unosarta
    Powers
    - Azrael, Jophiel, and Melchizedek by Iamyourking
    - Melchior, Sachiel, and Duma by Eldan
    - Anorath, Azalon, and Leantes by blackjack217
    - Dominic, Seraphiel, and Yves by The Tygre
    - Ramiel by Eldan

The Celestial Hierarchy
    Part I by PairO'Dice Lost
    Part II by Iamyourking

Celestia
    Lunia by Eldan

Classes
    The Blessed Soul [Celestial Warlock variant] by blackjack217
    The Heavenly Shepherd by Unosarta

Items
    Staff of the Heavenly Seer by Unosarta

Other Materials
    Abridged Gates of Hell by Iamyourking

Cosmology Sources
    The Gates of Hell by Dicefreaks Team
    Horrors of the Abyss: Orcus by Dicefreaks Team
    Last edited by The Tygre; 2011-09-27 at 01:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

AWESOME! Finally got an index!
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Banned

Thanks, Tygre!

/me goes to spend the next hour or two reading...

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

Tygre, did you mean to link to my quote of the Virtue Archons for part two of the hierarchy?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Whoop, fixed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    The Valorhammer by LOTRfan
    Yikes, there are a bunch of minor errors in that version. I just updated it, though, so all should be good, now.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Updated index post with links to Gates of Hell and Horrors of he Abyss.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Have a finished Eagle Archon.

Eagle Archon
    Large Outsider (Archon, Extraplanar, Good, Lawful)
    Hit Dice: 10d8+40 (89 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 110 ft. (good)
    Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +3 Dexterity, +12 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 21
    Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+20
    Attack: Claw +15 melee (1d8+5) or feather +13 ranged (2d6)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +15 melee (1d8+5) and bite +10 melee (1d6+2) or 2 feathers +13 ranged (2d6)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft
    Special Attacks: Eye Rays, mighty swoop, spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Aura of menace, damage reduction 10/evil, darkvision 60 ft., evasion, immunity to electricity and petrification, magic circle against evil, scent, outsider traits, spell resistance 25, teleport, tongues
    Saves: Fort +11 (+15 against poisons), Ref +10, Will +9
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 20
    Skills: Bluff +16, Concentration +16, Heal +14, Intimidate +19, Knowledge (Geography) +15, Knowledge (The Planes) +15, Listen +14, Search +23, Sense Motive +14, Spellcraft +15, Spot +22, Survival +14 (+16 against getting lost or on other planes)
    Feats: Adroit Flyby Attack*Drac, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Wingover
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or flight (3-5)
    Challenge Rating: 11
    Advancement: 11-20 HD (Large), 21-30 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: +8

This giant eagle has a wingspan of at least 30 feet and gleaming feathers that seem to have been cast out of solid silver, with a tuft on the back that suggests the shape of a halo. Its eyes are a brilliant gold and miss nothing in their keen observations.

While Owl Archons are messengers and protectors of Good animals, their Eagle Archon cousins take a much more aggressive tack. Fearless and showy in equal measure, these warriors can spot evil from miles away and roam the skies seeking out fiends; tearing apart any that they find. When the call to war is sounded, their flights leave the eyries scattered across Mount Celestia and head right into the fray; screaming their war cries and flashing their brilliant plumage, which they can shoot like arrows.

Combat:
    Unlike Owl Archons, Eagles love to fight; and although they will dutifully report any intrusions they see their first course of action is almost always to attack. Unless obviously outclassed Eagle Archons will dive bomb the toughest foe, firing their feathers the whole way, and initiate a Mighty Swoop. If the target is smaller than them, they will carry them back into the air and drop them, otherwise they will use overrun to knock them over before trusting their speed and Aura of Menace to keep them safe from less threatening foes. If the threat is too strong, or if the foe is attempting to use invisibility, Eagle Archons will use their eye beams to signal the rest of the flight for assistance.

Aura of Menace: Will save DC 20

Eye Rays: An eagle archon can shoot twin beams of golden light from its eyes at will, striking an opponent within 180 feet. The eagle archon must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit, and any creature struck by the eye rays is affected as per the Glitterdust spell, which lasts for 1 minute/caster level and does 1d6 fire damage per round. The casting eagle and any other eagles within its group can always see the target if they are within 700 feet, even if it would normally be impossible to see.

Mighty Swoop: When an Eagle Archon swoops down on its prey, even the largest fiends are hard-pressed to fight back. When an Eagle Archon charges, it can make a full attack as if it had the Pounce special attack and then initiate either a grapple or overrun for free, if they opt to overrun the foe cannot choose to avoid them and takes an additional 1d8+9 damage.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will-detect evil, dispel magic, freedom of movement (self only; always active),see invisible 3/day- dismissal, greater dispel magic, 1/day-divine power, mass eagle’s splendor

Skills:: An eagle archon’s keen vision gives it a +8 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks.

*Adroit Flyby Attack [General]
    You can make flyby attacks and get out of reach quickly
    Prerequisites Fly speed 90, Flyby Attack, Hover or Wingover
    Benefit: When flying and making an attack action, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that the total distance moved is not greater than your fly speed. Your flying movement does not provide attacks of opportunity from the creatures you attack during the round when you use this feat.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #740
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, I just wanted to swing by and mention that I might be creating/reworking about 9-12 good outsiders to go with my new campaign setting. Not sure yet, but I'll post links if I do end up doin' it.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

@Eagle Archon: What ability score is the DC for Aura of Menace based on? You should add that into the ability.

Other than that, looks perfect.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-04-05 at 07:34 AM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #742
    Barbarian in the Playground

@Eagle Archon: It says in their fluff that they like to fire their feathers as they dive-bomb opponents but I don't see that ability explained anywhere but the Attack Line. How does this work? Are they flinging actual feathers or are they basically magic arrows in the shape of a feather? is it just a natural attack or a special ability?
    Last edited by Silverscale; 2011-04-05 at 08:03 AM.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

Aura of Menace is charisma based, the same as it always is, and they are shooting the actual feathers in the vein of the Stymphalian Birds.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    Aura of Menace is charisma based, the same as it always is, and they are shooting the actual feathers in the vein of the Stymphalian Birds.
    There are only the Archons that have it, in core, and they list the Ability Score in the description of the ability every time, or they have an overarching description above their entry. Because you don't have that entry, it is impossible to reference. Also, having an Aura of Menace be made off of Intelligence or Wisdom makes sense as well, so you are just better off listing the ability score associated with it.

If you look through monster descriptions in the SRD, they all either have an overarching ability description that tells which Ability Score if there are multiple entries, or it says within the entry.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

It's the exact same ability that all Archons have and is written exactly the same. If for some reason I was making one whose aura worked differently I would say so. You can even look in the index of the Monster Manual, where it specifically lists the Aura of Menace as a trait of the Archon subtype.

Also, by my count I have written 8 entries that use that format. Why do you only have a problem with it now?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Eagle Archon added to index. Also, where is the Legion Archon in the hierarchy?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

Legion Archon had its name changed to Phalanx Archon to distinguish it from the Legion Devil, and it is part of the Wardens.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Aaaand fixed. Thanks for the clarification!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    It's the exact same ability that all Archons have and is written exactly the same. If for some reason I was making one whose aura worked differently I would say so. You can even look in the index of the Monster Manual, where it specifically lists the Aura of Menace as a trait of the Archon subtype.

Also, by my count I have written 8 entries that use that format. Why do you only have a problem with it now?
    It doesn't really matter. I happen to get people on my ass for it in the Monster competitions, and it is usually better to follow the formatting that the main sources uses, apparently, just to make everyone happy.

Mostly because I hadn't seen them.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alright, now that I've FORCED some semblence of calm over my life for a couple of days, I might as well at least start chiseling out this beast.

Disjunction Archon
    Spoiler
    Show

16d8+128 (192 HP)
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares); Fly 90 ft. (Good)
    Initiative: +8
    Armor Class: 28; touch 14; flat-footed 24 (+4 Dex, +14 Natural)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+22
    Attack: Standard attack +4 warhammer +22 melee (1d8+12, 20/x3)
    Full-Attack: Full attack +22/+17/+12 (1d8+12, 20/x3)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Trumpet of Disjunction, Spells, Spell-like Abilities
    Special Qualities: Aura of Menace, Damage Reduction 10/Evil, Darkvision 60 ft., Immunities (Electricity, Petrification), Magic Circle Against Evil, Spell Resistance 32, Teleport, Tongues
    Saves: Fort +16 (+20 vs. Poison), Ref +14, Will +14
    Abilities: Str 22, Dex 18, Con 26, Int 18, Wis 19, Cha 22
    Skills: Concentration +27, Diplomacy +25, Escape Artist +19, Hide +23, Knowledge (Primary) +23, Knowledge (Secondary) +19, Listen +23, Move Silently +23, Perform (wind instruments) +25, Ride +21, Sense Motive +23, Spellcraft +23, Spot +23, Use Rope +8 (+10 with bindings)
    Feats: Ability Focus (Trumpet of Disjunction), Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Power Attack
    Environment: The Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia
    Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Band (3-5)
    Challenge Rating: 17
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Advancement: 18-24 HD (Medium); 25-48 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: -

A radiance emerges from above you. Like the blazing heart of the sun, this nimbus of light radiates beams of light and glory. A vaguely humanoid figure can almost be perceived in the heart of the light, and what might be called wings burst out to the sides. Before you can see more, the light overpowers you, and you are forced to shield your eyes from the magnificence.

Across the infinite planes, the power of magic is recognized by all. From the mortal wizard in his tower to the fey in their glass castles, none can deny the raw potential of magic. Yet magic is limitless, not set by morality or comprehensible laws. When this force is put in the hands of the wicked and the greedy, monsters are born. And that is where the disjunction archons come in.

Disjunction archons are Celestia's vanguard against the forces of magic. Whether it is a terrible lich, a corrupt cleric, or even a fallen paladin, disjunction archons seek out those who harness magic for evil and punish them without mercy. It is the holy purpose of disjunction archons to strike down those who would abuse the gift that eldritch energies provide, and lay them low before heaven's own divine light.

In the prophecies and esoterica of mortal sages, it is whispered that the disjunction archons are the guardians of magical secrets. They are the keepers of vast arcane libraries on Celestia, and the personal guardians for witch-hunters and inquisitors. It is postulated that while only disjunction archons focused on arcane and divine magic have been observed, it is not too far a stretch to conceive of disjunction archons tailored to counter psionics, shadow magic, xenotheurgy, and other less known magic systems.

When not hidden behind their glowing auras, disjunction archons further conceal themselves in baggy, hooded robes. Underneath the robes, these eldritch archons appear alien and delicate. Resembling hairless and genderless humanoids, disjunction archons have long, spindly limbs and lithe frames. Their skin is almost translucent, revealing a golden glowing radiance from within. When not focused on an individual creature or item, disjunction archon's overly large eyes are constantly shifting from point to point.

Combat
    Disjunction archons focus on spellcasters in battle. If guardians or summoned creatures stand between the archon and its query, then the disjunction archon will dispose of them, but always tries to refocus on the spellcaster as soon as possible. Before battle, disjunction archons prepare themselves and secure the area, ensuring their opponents can't escape. During the battle, disjunction archons further reinforce any blockades and dispel as many enemy spells as necessary before moving in with their powerful hammers.

Aura of Menace (Su): Will DC 27 negates.

Break the Seal (Su): Disjunction archons are more than capable foes of magic, and can release a powerful strike against its presence in the world. Three times a day, as a standard action, the disjunction archon can make a melee attack against an active spell. Against stationary spells, such as glyphs or wards, the attack automatically succeeds. Auras or spells on creatures are treated as a regular attack.

The subject of the strike must make a Fortitude Save (DC 27) or suffer d6 + (the disjunction archon's Cha modifier) damage equal to the spell-effect's spell level. (EX: A 2nd level spell deals 2d6+6 damage, a 3rd level spell deals 3d6+6 damage, etc.) Cantrips, orisons, and other 0 level spells only deal 1d6 damage, without the Cha modifier. In addition, if the target fails their fortitude save, then the spell effect is dispelled.

Heaven's Light (Su): Disjunction archons are constantly surrounded by a bright, heavenly glow. The flares of this aura strike fear into those who would oppose heaven, granting disjunction archons a +4 racial bonus on the DCs against their Aura of Menace as long as the light is visible. The aura also obscures the archon, acting as a constant blurspell while the light is active. The glow sheds as much light as a bright torch, and can be dimmed by the archon as a standard action.

Spell-like Abilities:
    Constant - Detect Magic, Read Magic
    At-will - Deathwatch, Detect Chaos, Detect Evil, Dispel Magic, Message, Silence, Sending. Caster Level 16th
    3/day - Break Enchantment, Dimensional Anchor, Greater Dispel Magic
    1/day - Antimagic Field

Spells: Disjunction archons can cast divine spells as 18th-level clerics. A disjunction archon has access to two of the following domains: Air, Destruction, Good, Law, or War (plus any others from its deity). The save DCs are Wisdom-based.
    Typical Cleric Spells Prepared (6/7/7/7/7/5/5/4/4/3; DC 14 + spell level)

0— detect poison, light, purify food and drink, read magic, resistance (2)
    1st— bless (2), cure light wounds, divine favor (2), obscuring mist*, sanctuary, shield of faith
    2nd— bull’s strength (2), consecrate, lesser restoration, owl’s wisdom (2), spiritual weapon*
    3rd— cure serious wounds, daylight, gaseous form*, invisibility purge, magic vestment, protection from energy (2)
    4th— cure critical wounds, dismissal, divine power*, greater magic weapon, neutralize poison, spell immunity, summon monster IV
    5th— flamestrike*, hallow, mass cure light wounds, plane shift, raise dead
    6th— blade barrier*, banishment, forbiddance, heal, undeath to death
    7th— control weather*, holy word, mass cure serious wounds, power word blind*
    8th— antimagic field, holy aura, mass cure critical wounds, whirlwind*
    9th— astral projection, elemental swarm*, mass heal

*Domain spell. Domains: Air & War.

Trumpet of Disjunction (Su): The disjunction archon can release a mighty chord from its sacred trumpet, which rings not through flesh and blood, but the very fabric and bindings of reality. When the disjunction archon blows its trumpet, it produces a 60 ft. cone of sonic energy that acts as a Freedom spell. In addition, the sonic blast acts as a Dispel Magic spell, but only against spells that seal, lock, or hold portals (e.g. Hold Portal, Arcane Lock), and against spells that bar a creature from entering an area (e.g. Antipathy, Antilife Shell, Magic Circle against Alignment, etc.). If targets in the area of effect make a will save (DC 26), these effects are negated. The save DC is Charisma based.

In addition, as a free action, the disjunction archon may transform its trumpet into a +4 warhammer.

When lost or stolen, the trumpet turns into an impossibly heavy piece of metal that constantly emits a low droning sound. While there is no mechanical effect, warding spells seem to waver, and locks weaken.
    Last edited by The Tygre; 2011-07-01 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Repaired image.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters