Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 36
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Online, BEING AWESOME!!!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    While rereading, i looked more closely at the Oracles prediction for V.
    what he said was: "By saying the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons."
    even ignoring whether the stutter disqualifies: "I-I must succeed," wouldn't the fact that ze had a little bit of the right reason (ie, saving hir family) mean that it wasn't all the wrong reasons, just mostly?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    This would be an interesting way to look at it... If the Giant hadn't explicitly said that that was V's prophecy fulfillment.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Online, BEING AWESOME!!!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead View Post
    This would be an interesting way to look at it... If the Giant hadn't explicitly said that that was V's prophecy fulfillment.
    Where did he say that?

    also, mightn't he mean that that could be seen as fulfilling the prophecy, but there will be a more satisfying fulfillment later, in the same way that giving the +20 ring of jumping technically fulfilled his prophecy, but it was fulfilled in a better way when he stabbed the oracle?

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by fibonnaciseries View Post
    Where did he say that?

    also, mightn't he mean that that could be seen as fulfilling the prophecy, but there will be a more satisfying fulfillment later, in the same way that giving the +20 ring of jumping technically fulfilled his prophecy, but it was fulfilled in a better way when he stabbed the oracle?
    In the fourth book's commentary.

    And that would be the reverse. Belkar killing the Oracle and V accepting the deal were what their prophecies were referring to; Belkar killing Roy was a tease and anything after V's deal with the IFCC would also be some weird, sorta retrospective tease.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Other people have already pointed out Rich debunking this, so I'm just going to address what's online.
    1) - does not fill the same punctuation role as ... . I suggest you look both of them up before calling Vaarsuvius' repeating the word "I" a "stutter."
    2) Vaarsuvius' real reason for touching the blue orb was to win. S/he made that perfectly clear in the online comic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Xykeb Zraliv's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Antarctica
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Well, the truth is, Vaarsuvius was not doing it to save his/her family - at least, (s)he did not gain the power itself to do so. The IFCC members gave him/her a perfectly valid (if convoluted and bizarre) alternative, one that would have saved his/her family's lives and saved him/her a lot of trouble.

    However, it is made very clear that Vaarsuvius wanted to kill the dragon (him/her)self and, as evidenced by his/her actions after defeating the dragon, to show everybody else just how powerful (s)he had become. Vaarsuvius may not have had no good reason to gain the power, but all the reasons (s)he decided to take the power were wrong. I think that is the key concept here.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Raging Gene Ray's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Blessed Geometry
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Xykeb Zraliv View Post
    Well, the truth is, Vaarsuvius was not doing it to save his/her family - at least, (s)he did not gain the power itself to do so. The IFCC members gave him/her a perfectly valid (if convoluted and bizarre) alternative, one that would have saved his/her family's lives and saved him/her a lot of trouble.
    V could and, in my opinion, should have ignored that alternative on the basis that it was so convoluted and relied on factors that may not have come through. But s/he didn't. S/he ignored the alternative on the basis that s/he had to be the one to bring the hurt on the dragon.

    Similarly, concerning Azure City, s/he wasn't concerned with the loss of the soldiers lives or the suffering of the Azurites as much as the implication that s/he wasn't a good enough wizard to win the battle.

    S/he has changed greatly and has gone from one of my least favorite characters to one of my top 5...maybe 10 when she learned that "pointless" actions that weren't part of the mission (Moving the fleet to a hospitable land, for example) are still significant not because it proves him/her to be a skilled wizard, but because of what it accomplished.

    That still, however, doesn't change the fact s/he has Chekov's Gun pointed right at hir (and, by extension, the party and the rest of the world's) head.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Nimrod's Son's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by fibonnaciseries View Post
    there will be a more satisfying fulfillment later
    I've rarely been more satisfied with any part of any story ever than I was with V's prophecy, so that would really be going some. I somehow don't think bigger explosions will cut it, though.
    Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Heksefatter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    I would actually be disappointed if this wasn't the fulfillment of V's prophecy. I disagree that it was not satisfying - there was drama, action and character development.

    V did speak the four right words for all the wrong reason. S/he was given another option by the IFCC and while (as the imp pointed out) that plan was no good, V was too confused to see that. It was pride and lust for power that motivated hir, rather than being in a true "I have no choice"-situation.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    I don't mean to get this thread too sidetracked.
    And I REALLY dont wont to star another Belkars death argument.

    But it just occured to me, when Belkar dies (most probably going to the abyss) and Vaarsuvius has to fulfill his side of the IFCC contract, putting the two of them in a room together could make an awesome punishment for them both

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    HalfTangible's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hodra
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    I don't mean to get this thread too sidetracked.
    And I REALLY dont wont to star another Belkars death argument.

    But it just occured to me, when Belkar dies (most probably going to the abyss) and Vaarsuvius has to fulfill his side of the IFCC contract, putting the two of them in a room together could make an awesome punishment for them both
    Are you kidding me? Locking V and Belkar in a room so they can duke it out is all they've ever wanted (aside from Ultimate cosmic power and the kitty) XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    "..And once I've killed you and crushed your heroine smuggling operations, I'm going to steal all of your filthy drug money, and use it to fund an Orphanage!! MUhahahahahahahaha!"
    I have a tumblr blog! And a wordpress! Updated: November 14th - Tales of Mordor #2 - My Apprentice

    "Nobody ever did the impossible by dreaming short of it." -Unknown

    Let's play Warcraft 3

    Extended Sig

    Blue Berry, Dark Angel Space Mareine by Emperor Ing

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Thajocoth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Campbell CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    In the playground

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...
    Sigging that, if you don't mind...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...
    Be honest. Do you wonder, or do you KNOW that's going to happen?
    -Chief cracker bearer of the Momma Black Dragon fan club. In memmorium

    -The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm. 1) The tone of voice 2) the assumption that the other person is sane

    -For men, emotions are the crayola 8 pack. For women, they're the big box with the sharpener in back

    -Angry Separatist muskrat of the Yellow footed rock wallaby fanclub.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Having read the commentary in DStP, V's Prophecy has been fulfilled. The acceptance was for all the wrong reasons in that there was a chance to save the family via another method. V's motivation for accepting the deal was to kill the Dragon hirself. (S)he refused to accept any other solution beside hir power being use to solve the situation.

    The author of the story has stated that the prophesy has been fulfilled for V. I can accept this and move on. I am more interested in seeing how Belkar dies. He seems to have most of the world aligned against him.
    FTDWIR

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned
     
    Ancalagon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Vaarsuvius' Mate also sums the problem up right before leaving. He/she pretty much understood what all that "Quest for Ultimate Power" was about.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Xykeb Zraliv View Post
    Well, the truth is, Vaarsuvius was not doing it to save his/her family - at least, (s)he did not gain the power itself to do so. The IFCC members gave him/her a perfectly valid (if convoluted and bizarre) alternative, one that would have saved his/her family's lives and saved him/her a lot of trouble.
    Perfectly valid? Let's see -- the imp would have to saw V's head off. Then, Durkon would need to cast resurrection -- 10 minutes casting time. Sending to Aarindarius is quick because of the scroll, but we're talking 20 minutes minimum anyway. As it was, V reached his house within a minute or two of the dragon teleporting out, and the creature's work was almost done. And this, of course, is based on the assumption that Aarindarius is willing and able to go up against a dragon instantaneously after a sending arrives.

    That's not a valid alternative, that's a 100% chance of failure.

    As for V feeling guilty about being unable to save the soldiers because of insufficient power -- well, I'll tell you, in reality, you're probably not going to find one instance of guilt where the person doesn't feel responsibility to one degree or another. In fact, I'd say that guilt inevitably involves a send of either personal culpability or personal inadequacy.

    Why it's a crime for V to feel guilt in a perfectly normal way is beyond me.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Gene Ray View Post
    V could and, in my opinion, should have ignored that alternative on the basis that it was so convoluted and relied on factors that may not have come through. But s/he didn't. S/he ignored the alternative on the basis that s/he had to be the one to bring the hurt on the dragon.

    Similarly, concerning Azure City, s/he wasn't concerned with the loss of the soldiers lives or the suffering of the Azurites as much as the implication that s/he wasn't a good enough wizard to win the battle.

    That still, however, doesn't change the fact s/he has Chekov's Gun pointed right at hir (and, by extension, the party and the rest of the world's) head.
    Yes. If (s)he just wanted to save hir family, s/he would have ended the spell right after killing the dragon (or possibly after the famillicide).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If Orcus was a nesting doll, that would certainly make the whole thing work smoother. When you cast a level 1 summoning spell, you summon the little Orcus from the middle, but when you cast Gate, you get the really big Orcus that holds all the small Orcuses.

    Extended Signature

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    In the playground

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordpriest View Post
    Perfectly valid? Let's see -- the imp would have to saw V's head off. Then, Durkon would need to cast resurrection -- 10 minutes casting time. Sending to Aarindarius is quick because of the scroll, but we're talking 20 minutes minimum anyway. As it was, V reached his house within a minute or two of the dragon teleporting out, and the creature's work was almost done. And this, of course, is based on the assumption that Aarindarius is willing and able to go up against a dragon instantaneously after a sending arrives.
    All true, but V wasn't thinking of that. She was too confused to see the shortcomings, and only chose the alternate plan in order to preserve her own ego.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordpriest View Post
    Perfectly valid? Let's see -- the imp would have to saw V's head off. Then, Durkon would need to cast resurrection -- 10 minutes casting time. Sending to Aarindarius is quick because of the scroll, but we're talking 20 minutes minimum anyway. As it was, V reached his house within a minute or two of the dragon teleporting out, and the creature's work was almost done. And this, of course, is based on the assumption that Aarindarius is willing and able to go up against a dragon instantaneously after a sending arrives.
    There's also the issue of whether or not Durkon would want to resurrect V at all. To Durkon, it would appear that V had been consorting with devils, and V had done nothing but antagonize Durkon for the better part of a year. Durkon has no reason to not let the elf stay dead, and V knows this.

    All this makes little difference, of course. V's actions were irrevocable, her repentance insincere as far as it's possible to determine, and the reasoning underlying her actions - sure, other people deserve to exist...if you're my sort of person - apparently not that uncommon.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2010-10-03 at 12:59 PM.
    Milk Chocolate Justiciar of the Haley Fanclub
    I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good...Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim. Too ugly or too this or too that....I'm out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world...no matter what color, what size you are, how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work.
    Human stick-figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find more here.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...
    At least it will relieve the tedium of post after post of "I know we aren't supposed to discuss the update schedule...." and "I'm new here. When do new comics come out?"

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RMS Oceanic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordpriest View Post
    Perfectly valid? Let's see -- the imp would have to saw V's head off. Then, Durkon would need to cast resurrection -- 10 minutes casting time. Sending to Aarindarius is quick because of the scroll, but we're talking 20 minutes minimum anyway. As it was, V reached his house within a minute or two of the dragon teleporting out, and the creature's work was almost done. And this, of course, is based on the assumption that Aarindarius is willing and able to go up against a dragon instantaneously after a sending arrives.

    That's not a valid alternative, that's a 100% chance of failure.
    And Qarr noticed this. And the IFCC acknowledged it. And Rich acknowledged it in the DSTP commentary. While we're all in agreement the plan wouldn't have worked, Vaarsuvius believed it could have worked, and it's what exhausted panicky time-pressed V believed at the time that's most relevant. By accepting the deal when an alternative is apparently available, V is admitting that saving h** family comes second to proving h** arcane might.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper


    Pixar Fanboy of the Hinjo Fanclub

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy


  24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Xykeb Zraliv's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Antarctica
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Er, yeah, you guys are pretty much all right. That's not really what I meant, but I notice now that it was worded horribly and implied that I thought the plan would have worked, which it wouldn't have. I think I must have meant to make some sort of reference to the fact that V thought it was a "perfectly valid alternative" despite that not being the case, although I can't really remember anymore. Anyway, I pretty much agree with most everything that's been said regarding the issue...except my own comment, I guess. Wasn't thinking straight when I said that, slipped up a bit.

    Actually, the same thing sort of applies now, so I probably shouldn't even be here right now.
    Last edited by Xykeb Zraliv; 2010-10-04 at 01:07 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned
     
    Dr.Epic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Since the Giant said it happened, then that's it really. I still find it hard to believe that that was complete and total arcane power. Maybe V just wasn't using it right, but when I think "complete and total arcane power" I imagine something more powerful than Galactus, Dr. Manhattan, and Teggen Toppa Gurren Lagann combined, not something that could be smacked around by a lich, goblin, and a chick with undead issues.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Since the Giant said it happened, then that's it really. I still find it hard to believe that that was complete and total arcane power. Maybe V just wasn't using it right, but when I think "complete and total arcane power" I imagine something more powerful than Galactus, Dr. Manhattan, and Teggen Toppa Gurren Lagann combined, not something that could be smacked around by a lich, goblin, and a chick with undead issues.
    Well, the thing is that those guys have an understanding of elemental strategy, and more self-control.

    V? Not so much. V had the power, but couldn't use it.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned
     
    Dr.Epic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Conuly View Post
    Well, the thing is that those guys have an understanding of elemental strategy, and more self-control.

    V? Not so much. V had the power, but couldn't use it.
    Even so. You have complete power. Unlimited power one might say. Why not just blink you eyes and teleport half of Azure City to the lower planes. S/he did that with a fleet of ships (except, you know, not to another plane). What, could the elven wizard who studied arcane practices for like a century really not conceive maybe I should strike far from a distance instead of basically entering a close ranged smack fight with magic?

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Vaarsuvius has only himself/herself to blame if s/he assumed "complete and total ultimate arcane power" meant "omnipotence." Forum agreement with that assumption aside, it was an assumption.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Even so. You have complete power. Unlimited power one might say. Why not just blink you eyes and teleport half of Azure City to the lower planes. S/he did that with a fleet of ships (except, you know, not to another plane). What, could the elven wizard who studied arcane practices for like a century really not conceive maybe I should strike far from a distance instead of basically entering a close ranged smack fight with magic?
    Apparently not. If V could've conceived of the easier, better route, things would be different and we wouldn't be talking now.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    In the playground

    Default Re: Reopening the issue of V's prophecy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Even so. You have complete power. Unlimited power one might say. Why not just blink you eyes and teleport half of Azure City to the lower planes. S/he did that with a fleet of ships (except, you know, not to another plane). What, could the elven wizard who studied arcane practices for like a century really not conceive maybe I should strike far from a distance instead of basically entering a close ranged smack fight with magic?
    Because she's V. It was just as much about her ego as destroying Xykon; she wanted to prove that she was superior, it's what she does.

    Also, Ultimate=/=Unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •