New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Guardians of Asgaard!!!

"We will look for the headstrong young man on our journey," Janick says. "If the rest of him is as strong as his head he'll make a fine addition to our group of warriors!" Janick then turns to the rest of the group. "Shall we rest here and then head out to Dagothar in the morning men?!"

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

Korack bows his head to the frost giant, "We shall bring back fires to your forge. Thank you for your help and we'll keep an eye out for this blue haired man. I'm sure the extra help on such a journey will be quite welcomed." Taking a final swig of his drinking horn, Korack bows his head in respect to the giant.

Then turning to the rest of the party, "It sounds as if we're off to Dagothar. I'll be glad to be out of this cold, and perhaps we shall soon have a new companion who can regal us with his tales of battle. Shall we continue on?" The final words leave his lips, as a smile appears across his face.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Sorry for me being so quiet recently, was out of town for a couple of days.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

The night is spent in Jordmundjrs cave, the rhythmic sound of his snoring the only thing that disturbs the icy walls. Fire is easily made in a smaller fireplace which seems to be used for cooking when the frost giant bothers.

Rested, it takes the better part of a day to return down the slopes of Olafspeak. Snow had blown in during the night and made going slower. Once at the foot of the mountain the plains stretch out before the party, and the travel returns to a brisk normal pace.

The druid Fafnal waits at the outskirts of Selnord, approaching the party once he has made sure of their arrival. His hawk circles above, most likely having been his eyes in finding their traveling back.

The druid takes little of the parties time, and seems more happy to see that they have returned from the mountain unharmed. He is well aware of the monsters and beasts lurking in the snowy depths. He takes a recounting of the talk with Jordmundjr, while his dwarven friend bestows upon the party provisions for their journey. The food and tack provided is inside of a woven bag which contains threads of ancient origin, allowing the bag to hold much more than it would seem.

Bag!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The party receives a Bag of Holding Type III. Inside is one months rations, in the form of hard tack bread, Cheese with a heavy rind so it won't spoil, dried cured fish and salted beef.

Once the party has received their provisions and Fafnal has sent them upon their way it takes a day and a Half to arrive at Dagothar. A smaller trade road brings the party easily there with no interruptions.

The trade road is marked with deep furrows, as if heavy wagons make their way along the road from time to time. Once inside the environs of Dagothar, it can be seen why. Two large lumber yards grace the outskirts of the city, men moving boards and planks, great ribbing made for the innards of ships speak to this smallish towns focus on ship building.

Once into the town proper great sailed ships can be seen in the harbor, the deep waters begin nearby the docks, so large ships are much more common in the fishing town. Many medium to small sized ships go in and about the larger ships bringing in their catch from the sea.

The largest Inn is located down near the docks, with a sign stating its name as "The Leaky Dinghy".

Everyone!
    Spoiler
    Show
    There we are. Advanced nicely Thrand can place himself where ever he likes, and the party can see many likely places to receive passage.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thrand
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thrand
    Male CG Half-Snow Giant Snow Leapord Barbarian 2/Fighter 4, Level 6(1), Init +1, HP 76/76, Speed 30
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 18, Fort +11, Ref +4, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus +6/+1
    Masterwork (3d6+12 when raging) Greataxe (-) +13/+8 (3d6+9, x3)
    Masterwork (2d8+12 when raging) Heavy Flail (-) +13/+8 (2d8+9, 19-20/x2)
    Shock Trooper, +2ac frenzy, = -4 ac Greataxe (frenzy -6 PA from AC) (-) +13/+13/+8 (3d6+24, x3)
    +1 Mithril Breastplate (+6 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Condition None

Whirling Frenzy(Rage): +4 str, +2ac, extra attack at full BAB, 8 rounds

Near the front of the docks stands a giant of a man. He appears to be at least 7 foot tall, though it is difficult to gauge his height in comparison to the much smaller human men around him. His skin is as pale blue as a mountain glacier. His hair a few shades darker and hangs loosely at his shoulders. On his back sits an impossibly large double-headed axe that is nearly as tall as he is. He looks agitated and seems to be arguing with the fisherman standing at the docks. They seem a bit intimidated by his sheer presence though he shows no sign of a combative posture.

"I must find passage to King Ragthorn's Island!" he says with a raised voice. "The Horde of Elsimar is closing in on Nelgaard and I have sworn to protect the Kingdom. If I don't make it to the island and back in time it will be too late!"

The fisherman keep their distance and shake their heads in denial at the giant man's request. Clearly there is plenty of room on their vessel to offer him passage, yet they still won't allow him to board. Growing more frustrated the Giant continues his plea.

"I have plenty of gold to pay for my passage, I will even offer you more if we are to leave immediately."

The men stubbornly refuse his offers and begin to walk back towards their ship.

"Must I row my own damn boat to reach this island?!"

From the looks of his expression it would not be out of the question to imagine him actually attempting that fool-hearted idea.
    Last edited by Vuann; 2011-05-17 at 08:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ford

As the group arrives at Dagothar, Ford decides to look around. "Im gunna check the docks and the inns. Shouldnt be hard to find our half-giant."

Ford eyes the placard with the stylized dinghy and water spout, ignoring the words on the sign. He continues past into the vast dock districts, moving down the road, looking for a blue haired man who towers over the rest.

6. - Top - End - #336

Fengr

As Ford declares his intention to scout ahead the totemist quickly falls in next to him.
    "I'll come with you, two pair of eyes are better than one. Besides, I've never been to a town where the docks hasn't been the homes of bandits and thieves, you might need some backup."
    He says as he draws his cloak around him, concealing his extra arms and sharp claws.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

7. - Top - End - #337

"Ford, wait up!" Korack lightly shouts as he moves to follow Ford. "I'll also help you look for this for this man of blue. And perhaps I can acquire us a boat for our passage to the island."

Korack quickly falls in step behind Ford as they continue to the docks.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Janick smiles to himself as he falls into step just behind his companions scanning the area thoughtfully.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

As the party makes its way down to the dock, the booming voice of Thrand is easily heard once they have made their way down to where most of the boats are kept along the piers.

The man speaking to the big blue gentleman seems fairly adamant in denying passage to the island. You hear a snippet of his conversation as you approach.

"Look, I don't care how big ye are! It's dangerous out on that island, those slimy fish head men have have been seen there and no one goes out there, let alone by their lonesome!"

10. - Top - End - #340

Ford

Ford looks to his companions ready to proudly point out the half-giant, but sees them noticing him too. The burly green half-man approaches the even larger blue half-man. "Hey there fella. Ye must be the one whos lookin ta get a weapon forged. Im Ford, and we be lookin ta do the same."

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thrand looks down at the half-orc, half-man warrior curiously.

"I am indeed... I would ask how you know this, but it seems Jordmudjur has given you the same honor as was given to me."

Noticing the rest of the group walking up behind the half-orc, he continues.

"I am Thrand from the foothills of Olafspeak. It would seem that you have all come here in search of the Essence of Fire the same as I. If Jord has offered to forge you weapons then that means he has deemed you worthy of battle. You have my respect."

"However, these sailors have not allowed me to travel to King Ragthorns Island yet. They whine about some sort of fish men, as if I would not simply split their heads in two and fry them up for supper."
    Last edited by Vuann; 2011-05-19 at 09:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342

Ford

"Aye, that be it. Im not too good with names and words and such, but we need that essence-o-whatnot something fierce. The big guy seems to want us to team up, and thats fine with ol' Ford. We just lost a sword arm 2 nights ago to a family crisis."

13. - Top - End - #343
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Jordmudjur suggested that we join forces?"

Thrand ponders this idea for a moment, then answers Ford.

"I am used to traveling alone and don't usually wish to join with others... but if Jord has wished this then I don't have much choice in the matter. How about this.. If you and your companions can gain us access to a boat to reach the island then I will accept."
    Last edited by Vuann; 2011-05-20 at 09:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

The man Thrand had been asking stood back gathering a large coil of rope for his boat. He watched the approaching party, and as they engaged Thrand he wondered what sort of things these warriors may be talking about.

Looking from his large fishing boat to the group he shook his head. Tossing the heavy rope coil up onto the deck of the ship he turned and grabbed a clay jug, pulling the stopper and taking a long drink from it. He wiped his mouth with his forearm and turned to Ford and Thrand, his hand out with the jug in it as if using it to point.

"I suppose now that the bigggun has you boys at his back you'll be askin' again about my boat here? Och, You lot are daft if you think you should be messin' about on the island out there. Those fish heads been making terrible trouble over there. A handful of warriors bought passage from my cousin Oleg not two weeks ago, and there has been no signal fire to return to them."

15. - Top - End - #345

Ford

"Nuthin' we aint heard before. Ye might say that were the kind of folk who come back from places with that. As long as Strudder stands behind me, those fishies better run when they see us comin'."

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Those that put themselves in harms way should be prepared to die! Why are you so concerned with the plight of others whom you do not know? "

Thrand takes a deep breath in an attempt to quell his obvious frustration.

"The Elsimar horde is closing in on Nelgaard as we speak. Jordmudjur has sent us on this task in order to help prepare for this invasion. Will the blood spilled by your lack of action not overshadow the loss of a few warriors? Besides do we look like the type that cannot handle ourselves in a fight?"

17. - Top - End - #347

Fengr

The totemist stayes silent during the first part of the conversation with Thrand and the sailor, but his curiosity soon takes overhand and the normally silent warrior steps forward and turns towards the fisherman.
    "So exactly what are these fish-men? How are they armed and how do they fight? We have taken down several foes on our journey here, and I have no doubt that we could show these creatures a thing or two when it comes to combat."
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

The man looked the party up and down for a moment, and strode back towards his ship picking up a long rope and beginning to coil it about his arm. He soon tossedit up onto the deck of the impressively sized ship.

"The fish heads use tridents, can come quick up out of the water, and even quicker back in...I'm sure you've all seen more than your share of fighting. If you're determined to see your way out there to damn blasted island, there ain't much more needed to convince me. I'll take you boys, but you do us all a favor and you bring back those other boys..or at least something of them for their families."

Shaking his head he grabbed the railing of the boat and swung himself up onto it.

"We leave in an hour."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thrand nods to the man as he heads back to his boat and then turns back to the party of adventurers.

"Well it seems we will finally be able to make it to the island, I only wish you'd have come a bit sooner. Still, I owe you my thanks. How about we head down to the Inn and enjoy some mead before we leave. It's on me."

20. - Top - End - #350

Ford

"Har har! Is this guy great or what? So a stein-o-mead and we set out in an hour! I just passed a tavern on the way here."

21. - Top - End - #351

Korack had remained silent during the exchange at the docks, opting mainly to just observe. He hadn't quite come to a conclusion on this new member of the party, but he seemed nice enough. "Yes, let's hit the tavern for a nice drink or three, before we have to go. I've never been much fond of ships and some mead sure would calm the nerves." A gentle smile spread across his face as he followed them to the inn.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

The tavern that ford spoke of is not far behind the party, and as they make their way towards the Leaky Dinghy Tavern, the captain they had spoken to walks with them, and pokes his head inside the tavern, calling out his men to get his boat ready.

The tavern smells of salty air and smoke, pipes fancied there. Fangoren having always been a good place to grow various pipe blends and the fishing village able to trade with their boats that brave the deep waters between.

The ale is plentiful and cheap, the chairs are sturdy and the men are rugged. they speak of good fishing waters, heavy work and the glory of Nelgaard defeating the horde that comes. They seem confident, though also uninformed as to the size and danger the horde contains.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Bartender, let's have a few drinks for me and my comrades!"

Thrand throws down some silver onto the bar, hands everyone their drinks then walks over to the closest open table.

"By the sounds of it we will no doubt run into these so called "fish-head" people on the island. Since we're heading into certain battle, I propose a toast."

Raising his stein into the air in front of him he prepares to toast with the others.

"May our enemies be many,

and may our blades strike true.

For Thrand is quite hungry,

and tonight we dine on fish stew!"

Roughly bumping the steins of the others, Thrand breaks out in thundering laughter before chugging half of his rather small sized stein in one gulp.
    Last edited by Vuann; 2011-05-24 at 10:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354

Ford

"May Strudder Watch over us on our journeys, keeping us warm with his song and forge fires! May Odin give us his blessing for a safe journey! May Aegir protect us in his watery domain!"

25. - Top - End - #355

Fengr

Fengr follows Ford and Thrand to the tavern, the thought of a drink cheering him up significantly. As Thrand raises his stein the totemist does the same saluting the half-giant's improvised poetry with a laugh before drinking deep out of his own mug.
    "You have the gift of words, Thrand, Odin has blessed you."
    He pauses for a moment before raising his mug once again and clearing his throat.
    "Long was the journey,
    Fierce the foes,
    Like heroes we have fought,
    For a chance to drink."

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

The patrons of the Leaky Dinghy seem roused by the drinking and carousing of the party, and soon the place is heavy with dice roling, drinking and a bit of sea shanty singing.

Before long the man who the party has found is named Shamfeld, comes through the door to inform the party his crew is ready. The boat awaits them.

The mans boat is called the Swimming Valkyrie. The boat is a huge fishing vessel, nets and tack along it, as well as a hand cranked winch for bringing up traps set along the bottom to collect crustaceans of all types. The men aboard are gruff and sea worn, and all welcome the players.

The boat pushes off once all are aboard, and the large ship makes its way out onto the waves. The going is smooth, but the rocking of the boat creates some queasy feelings at first. Soon the fishermen are doing their work, casting nets and dragging them, bringing them in and taking the good catches out and tossing the useless things back.

Shamfeld works the wheel, his eyes forward for the tell tale signs of the dastardly fishmen.

27. - Top - End - #357

Fengr

The Azurin downs the last of his drink before following Shamfeld back to the Swimming Valkyrie, his eyes burning blue behind the shimmering mask of a basilisk that hovers in front of his face.
    Stepping onto the boat the totemist finds a place where he is out of the way from the busy fishermen and stands silent and watches the waves as the boat sails further out from the coast.

28. - Top - End - #358

Ford

Ford is glad to be underway. He joins in on the sea shanties with his booming voice and perfect orc pitch. He watches with wonder as the nimble deck hands move to the rhythm of the song and keep on their feet the whole time. Every time the ship lists, Ford stumbles and overcompensates. The number of times he ended up on his face during the long trip became countless.

29. - Top - End - #359

Korack tries to join in on the sea shanties, but his uncomfortableness with water made that hard. For most of the voyage he simply held on to his spear tightly, looking out across the water, hoping to face his fear head on.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Janick sits next to his armor sitting in a clump by him. He has his spear in his lap and he mumbles something about "drowning" every so often, usually after the ship hits a wave and shifts a bit.