New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Ice Hockey Fans in the Playground!!

I say just move em to somewhere in Canada.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I dont like to reply to myself, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_BStkVC_zQ

What a hit!
    It's also amusing that the media is picking on the Habs, with the Boston Herald spewing hatred in a rant about last night's game. I'll quote :

MONTREAL — The Canadiens are a despicable and dirty little hockey team that loves to dish out nasty cheap shots, often from behind, often after the whistle — and shows not the slightest willingness to back up the stick-work by dropping the gloves.

and here is the link :http://bostonherald.com/sports/hocke...fight_to_habs/

Anyways I am probably biased in the matter, and wondered the rest of you guys might think. Also note that Cammelleri dropped the gloves for the first time in his carreer, and scored on his first penalty shot at the nhl level.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shiram View Post
    Anyways I am probably biased in the matter, and wondered the rest of you guys might think. Also note that Cammelleri dropped the gloves for the first time in his carreer, and scored on his first penalty shot at the nhl level.
    I don't know - I've don't think I've particularly heard that the Canadiens are considered a dirty team in general (nor, to be fair, have I heard that about the Bruins, at least not lately). That said, I'm sure there's some extra stuff that goes on during Montreal-Boston games, and I'm sure it goes both ways. I think the writer of that article is probably indulging in a bit of hometown bias. One thing he is correct about though - the Canadiens are not a very "fighty" team. They've only taken 9 fighting majors this season (the Bruins have 28). Of course, that doesn't mean that they're a dirty team.
    Trophies and current avi by Lord Herman!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well the Habs are sometimes accused of not backing it up, and dropping the gloves, but really we have no fighters or enforcers really.
    Max Lapierre used to do it, but he seems to have reeled it in this season, even though he got boxing lesson this summer.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

I dont like to reply to myself, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_BStkVC_zQ
    Absolutely clean. And in fact, P.K. Subban held up. If he led with his shoulder, the other player would be in the hospital.

I absolutely detest how after clean, good hits, the enforcer or some other player decides that they should fight the hitter. It's what the instigator is for, but it's never used. I can understand the need to send a message after a dirty hit, but a clean hit should never require a fight.
    Last edited by Joran; 2010-12-20 at 01:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Okay, Vancouver vs. Detroit... If we win this, we get to overtake 1st in the West on a tiebreaker. 3-2 Vancouver (Daniel, Henrik, Samuelsson vs. Cleary and Flippula (sp?)).

I'll let you know how it turns out

EDIT: turned out badly. Luongo should be ashamed. First, he let in a 5-hole shot from BEHIND THE GOAL LINE. And then he let in a weak one timer. Weak like short side snipe when you're covering the entire damn net. Zetterberg must be happy though, 2 goals on shots he probably only shot to trigger line changes...
    Last edited by Don Julio Anejo; 2010-12-23 at 03:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wait, did you say five-hole from BEHIND the goal line? Is that even physically possible!?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Prooflink. Couldn't find a separate video for the goal so start at 1:29ish. Oh so very embarrassing for Louie. The OT winner is almost as bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I thought it might just be a flukey goal or something before watching the video, but yea, Bobby Lou looked weak on that one. But then all goalies let in a soft one once in a while.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kovalev scored in the same game that Gonchar ended up with a non-negative +/-. It's a Christmas miracle in Ottawa!
    Thanks to banjo1985 for the amazing Avatar.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Habs are really sinking right now, down to the 8th position, and playing really weak hockey ever since they went on their long holiday trek.

Our D is horrendous, with Spacek and Hamrlik not being able to play against the oppostion top line and playing upwards of 20 mins. Gill is just so slow, his height advantage cannot compensate. Gorges playing with a hurt knee, at least he is finally getting some rest. Subban, Picard and Weber all make rookie mistales, and out of them only Subban seems to have th potential to be anything else than a 6th or 7th D.

The addition of James Wisniewski, traded for a second round pick, should definately help, he seems like a decent puck moving defenceman, but I think his style might just clash with Jacques Martin.
    Still a great trade, even if just a rental. Also there is definately a place for him come next season.

Beyond all that, our offence is sputtering as well, Price is playing like he is human again, and Subban is getting into altercations with the vets on the team.

We need to win, and win soon, for the morale of the team, and to remain contenders for a playoff spot!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

The Habs are really sinking right now, down to the 8th position, and playing really weak hockey ever since they went on their long holiday trek.

Our D is horrendous, with Spacek and Hamrlik not being able to play against the oppostion top line and playing upwards of 20 mins. Gill is just so slow, his height advantage cannot compensate. Gorges playing with a hurt knee, at least he is finally getting some rest. Subban, Picard and Weber all make rookie mistales, and out of them only Subban seems to have th potential to be anything else than a 6th or 7th D.

The addition of James Wisniewski, traded for a second round pick, should definately help, he seems like a decent puck moving defenceman, but I think his style might just clash with Jacques Martin.
    Still a great trade, even if just a rental. Also there is definately a place for him come next season.

Beyond all that, our offence is sputtering as well, Price is playing like he is human again, and Subban is getting into altercations with the vets on the team.

We need to win, and win soon, for the morale of the team, and to remain contenders for a playoff spot!
    Subban looked good last playoffs, but during the Caps game, he seemed like a liability. Chirping at Ovechkin, checking Chimera and standing over him. With the first period winding down, he took himself out of the play by being overly aggressive and checking Chimera. This lead to a 4 on 2 with Green scoring the goal where Subban was supposed to be and the Caps up 2-0 at intermission.

Winter Classic coming up, yay!

13. - Top - End - #163

Just got back from the game. Sigh.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Winter Classic... Awesome, mostly because the Caps won. The conditions were very messy, especially with the rain and warm weather.

I'm very optimistic now about the Caps chances. The 8 game losing streak was a nice wake-up call and the Caps are playing with better defensive presence. The PK is much improved from last year, the Caps are top 10 in Goals Against, Goals, and PK. Just need to get that Powerplay started... Also, Backstrom, Ovechkin, and Semin are all slumping, yet the Caps are winning. Very optimistic.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

I watched bits of the Winter Classic, but it was actually a little bit hard to find on TV. CBC was showing it during intermissions in the Leafs/Senators game (which nobody outside of Ontario gave a crap about), and I ended up finding it by accident on some NBC affiliate from Detroit or somewhere. It was... eh. That was a lot of hype for neither superstar to actually, y'know, do anything. I enjoyed the last few Winter Classics more, although it probably helped that their ice was actually solid as opposed to 60% slurpee.

Lately I've been more interested in the World Juniors than the NHL, since the Oilers are painfully bad. Looks like it's going to be Canada vs. Russia for the gold, which is a match-up that I like a lot, since we've beaten Russia already and lost to Sweden in the prelims. I'm surprised Canada thumped the US so bad, since they were the favourite to win the whole thing.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
    I watched bits of the Winter Classic, but it was actually a little bit hard to find on TV. CBC was showing it during intermissions in the Leafs/Senators game (which nobody outside of Ontario gave a crap about), and I ended up finding it by accident on some NBC affiliate from Detroit or somewhere. It was... eh. That was a lot of hype for neither superstar to actually, y'know, do anything. I enjoyed the last few Winter Classics more, although it probably helped that their ice was actually solid as opposed to 60% slurpee.

Lately I've been more interested in the World Juniors than the NHL, since the Oilers are painfully bad. Looks like it's going to be Canada vs. Russia for the gold, which is a match-up that I like a lot, since we've beaten Russia already and lost to Sweden in the prelims. I'm surprised Canada thumped the US so bad, since they were the favourite to win the whole thing.
    My understanding was the CBC was only showing the Massacre of Ontario in Toronto and Ottawa areas, and giving the rest of the country the Winter Classic.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
    The Capitals adjusted and played their grinders more than the stars. Even with the crappy ice, Ovechkin had a breakaway (save by Fleury) and a goal (washed out because of incidental contact). Malkin also had a breakaway that he managed to convert.

But yes, the conditions really did affect the game and the camera angles that NBC chose were horrific, but it's really more about the spectacle rather than watching two teams play.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Winter Classic : Too bad both of them couldnt lose!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chunklets View Post
    Hooray - it is that time again, and none too soon!

You may consider this your thread to discuss all elements of sport of ice hockey! And I'll start things out here with a bold Stanley Cup prediction; you may now write down and take to the bank that Pittsburgh will win the Cup, defeating Vancouver in the final. So now you know!

Anyway, I don't mean for this to be merely an NHL thread - feel free to discuss minor pros, European leagues, college and junior hockey, and so on!

As you may gather from the avatar, or remember from previous years' IHFitP threads, I'm an Oilers fan. My hopes for this season are that it will be better than last season. This should not be hard. Seriously, though, I think it's going to be a long season for the Oil and their fans, although we will have the undisputed pleasure of watching Mssrs Hall, Paajarvi, and Eberle learn the game. This year it's all about looking to future, and having some small hope that good things will be there!

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say "yo" to any Playgrounding hockey fans in Oklahoma. I'm actually quite excited to see how the Barons get along this season! Just remember that you have to give Linus Omark back at some point...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing from fellow hockey fans!
    I had the chance to watch the Winter Classic,CBC was airing it.It was...I'm lost of words.There was a lot of hype for neither superstar to do anything.I was however more thrilled by the last few winter classics.Something notable is that some of the players didn't have quality skates, so disappointing, right? That was visible from the players' movements during the play. However,it doesn't have to be that way,http: //bestskatereviews.com/review-2017-bauer-vapor-1x-ice-hockey-skates/ skates will definitely make a difference.Anyone wanna pick up Brian Rolston on waivers?? Well,of late I've started developing lots of interest in the World Juniors than the NHL.It surprised me to see Canada beat the US that mercilessly,honestly, they were not my favorites for the trophy.