Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Ice Hockey Fans in the Playground!!

Personally, I don't think the Caps are even close to competing. The team hasn't been built with the goal of winning in the play-offs, it's geared towards being dominant in the regular season, and selling tickets. Frankly, I'm not sure Ovechkin is capable of winning it all at any level, whether it be the Cup or Olympic Gold. He's one of the most exciting players to watch, unless he's up against good opposition, in which case he disappears.

The East in general looks completely wide open this year. There's a couple teams that will be quite good (Jersey, Pitt), a handful of teams that will be soild (Buff, Tampa, etc...), and then a few teams that will look to crack into the playoffs (Leafs, Habs, etc...). And then there's Ottawa, who will either be great - if the goaltending holds up and the offense-focussed changes work - or awful - if one or both don't. So far, it's not looking so good...

The West I feel is more divided. There's the top teams and the bottom teams. Vancouver, LA, San Jose, etc... will be the class of the West, with the rest of the conference fighting to make the playoffs and hopefully go on a run similar to that of the '09 Habs (though with probably less everyone-but-the-goalie-sucks syndrome).

Cup prediction would be Vancouver over Jersey. Two of the best goalies in the game, but Luongo will be much more rested this year than last, and Brodeur isn't as young as he used to be and won't have another Cup in him.
    Thanks to banjo1985 for the amazing Avatar.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SensFan View Post
    Cup prediction would be Vancouver over Jersey. Two of the best goalies in the game, but Luongo will be much more rested this year than last, and Brodeur isn't as young as he used to be and won't have another Cup in him.
    Eh, I wouldn't count on it. Half-way through the year they'll decide a 2.8 GAA or somesuch is bad for a rookie goalie with 5 games of NHL experience and decide to play Luongo for his normal 70 games a season. Hilarity will ensue as we lose to Chicago Blackhawks in the second round third year straight.

On Washington: they've got a good offence, that's a plus. As for defence... Well, they've got a good offense The problem is, in the regular season teams realize Caps are good but don't do much about it, it's just another 4-6 games they have to play and they'll probably win 1-2 anyway. In the playoffs, on the other hand, the entire team is committed to shutting down Ovie/Semin/Backstrom/Green/Knuble/etc. Most teams can successfully do it since Caps usually ice one good line and the rest are only mediocre.

And now... Washington has absolutely no-one to stop the pucks from going into their OWN net. Yep, absolutely no-one
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't count on it. Half-way through the year they'll decide a 2.8 GAA or somesuch is bad for a rookie goalie with 5 games of NHL experience and decide to play Luongo for his normal 70 games a season. Hilarity will ensue as we lose to Chicago Blackhawks in the second round third year straight.
    If nothing else, there's 7ish(?) less Olympic games to play

On Washington: they've got a good offence, that's a plus. As for defence... Well, they've got a good offense The problem is, in the regular season teams realize Caps are good but don't do much about it, it's just another 4-6 games they have to play and they'll probably win 1-2 anyway. In the playoffs, on the other hand, the entire team is committed to shutting down Ovie/Semin/Backstrom/Green/Knuble/etc. Most teams can successfully do it since Caps usually ice one good line and the rest are only mediocre.

And now... Washington has absolutely no-one to stop the pucks from going into their OWN net. Yep, absolutely no-one
    To be fair, Washington was a tiny market before Ovechkin was drafted. It's quite understandable that the management and/or ownership would rather fill seats for 41 games, not to mention create a huge buzz around the team, than get a small chance of winning 4 best-of-seven series.
    Thanks to banjo1985 for the amazing Avatar.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

I was actually very surprised when Caps didn't sign Antti Niemi (although he did go to San Jose who would have been in severe goalie trouble if they didn't sign him, now at least one of the Anti's is likely to carry them).

J.S. Giguere, I'm not sure they could pull off with the cap space and without trading away their future. Roloson (or maybe Khabibulin if they get lucky and Edmonton gets stupid) they can do. But honestly, Varlamov seems better and better so I'd stick with him for now. Although I don't watch very many caps games so I haven't seen him play much.
    There's nothing to say that Michal Neuvirth or Semyon Varlamov cannot be this year's Niemi. Judging by how tepid the off-season goalie market was and how playoff heroes, Halak and Niemi came from nowhere, goalie seems like one of those positions where it's possible for anyone to catch lightning in a bottle.

I'm comfortable with Michal Neuvirth (two time Calder Cup champion) and Semyon Varlamov (very good as long as he's healthy, which is starting to become an issue) in goal. The needs for the Caps are a 3rd or 4th defenseman and a 2nd or 3rd line center. The defenseman to take pressure off our two rookie defensemen and to relegate Erskine/Sloan to healthy scratch-dom. The center is needed for some defensive awareness on the second line and to create opportunities for Semin/Laich. Fleischmann has the tendency to be paper soft in the corners and fails in his own zone.

Oddly enough, when you look at the Montreal series, it's not the defense or goaltending that let down the Caps, it was the offense. The Caps were an absolutely putrid 1 of 33 on the Power Play after having the best power play in the league. If they were even close to the 20% they had in the regular season, the series would have been a sweep. The problem is that the Caps did not do a good job of adjusting to how the Canadiens were playing them.

Personally, I don't think the Caps are even close to competing. The team hasn't been built with the goal of winning in the play-offs, it's geared towards being dominant in the regular season, and selling tickets. Frankly, I'm not sure Ovechkin is capable of winning it all at any level, whether it be the Cup or Olympic Gold. He's one of the most exciting players to watch, unless he's up against good opposition, in which case he disappears.
    Let's look up Ovechkin's playoff stats.

In 3 playoff series appearances, he's played 28 games with 20 goals, 20 assists, and a +/- of +14. He scores 1.4 points per game. Uh... shrinking in the playoffs, this is not. Hockey is a team game. Ovechkin plays, what, 20-25 minutes a game? He can't be on the ice all the time and he needs some help. Too bad Alexander Semin and Tomas Fleischmann didn't show up at all last playoffs.
    Last edited by Joran; 2010-10-12 at 04:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

So, I talked to my parents yesterday, and they are mailing my gear out to Seattle. I'll be playing in a VERY low contact old man's league this year. Its gonna be tough on me to be a defenseman who DOESN'T rely on beating the crap out of people. The cool thing is, my buddy who'll be playing with me is a lefty. With me on left D and him on right D, we'll be able to set up some killer 1-timers. I wonder if I can even shoot still...its been like, 8 or 9 years since I last played! lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
    That game against the Panthers will hopefully turn into a good teaching moment, since the systems play fell apart in the face of what was, to be fair, a superb Florida forecheck.
    I agree fully, and one of the things that's had me happy with Renney so far this year has been the overt focus on teaching. I'd imagine that practise this week has seen a fair amount of time with the whiteboard!

Has there been any information released on what exactly happened to Ondrej Pavelec in that Thrashers/Caps game? I saw a clip of it and it was pretty bizarre. And must have been terrifying for everybody involved.
    Apparently, it was a fainting spell, perhaps brought on by prolonged standing combined with stress (been there). As you said, terrifying, and I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious. I feel for the guy that he got a concussion when he fell, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Indurain
    I'm a lifelong Leafer, and have to say that things are looking better this year...but what else is new. I think I'll save my optimism until we're out of October at least.
    This is probably wise, for Leafs and Oilers fans alike! Nonetheless, I've been very impressed with the Leafs, and am looking forward to what they can do tomorrow against the Pens. Thoughts on the waiving of Jeff Finger?

Quote Originally Posted by Indurain
    Oilers: Yeah, the kids are looking good, but probably won't be in playoff contention. But I doubt they'll be in the basement this year.
    I think that's pretty much the consensus around here as well. The only way the Oilers make the playoffs is if Khabibulin stays healthy and good, and the kids climb that learning curve very quickly. I've noticed on my trips around the Oilogosphere that people are generally fairly laid-back and cheerful - nobody's expecting too much this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Joran
    There's nothing to say that Michal Neuvirth or Semyon Varlamov cannot be this year's Niemi. Judging by how tepid the off-season goalie market was and how playoff heroes, Halak and Niemi came from nowhere, goalie seems like one of those positions where it's possible for anyone to catch lightning in a bottle.
    Fair enough, and I actually looked up Neuvirth's stats - they're better, at both the AHL and NHL level, than I'd expected. I wouldn't put too much stake in his Calder Cup victories, though; Hershey have had an awesome team overall for that league the last couple of years (they're likely to be that way this year as well, particularly if they have a healthy Souray for the entire season). How bad are Varlamov's injury concerns? I still think, if I were Washington, that I'd want veteran cover somewhere in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar
    So, I talked to my parents yesterday, and they are mailing my gear out to Seattle. I'll be playing in a VERY low contact old man's league this year. Its gonna be tough on me to be a defenseman who DOESN'T rely on beating the crap out of people. The cool thing is, my buddy who'll be playing with me is a lefty. With me on left D and him on right D, we'll be able to set up some killer 1-timers. I wonder if I can even shoot still...its been like, 8 or 9 years since I last played! lol!
    Well, good luck with your return to the ice! We shall expect, nay demand, regular updates!
    Trophies and current avi by Lord Herman!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Oddly enough, when you look at the Montreal series, it's not the defense or goaltending that let down the Caps, it was the offense. The Caps were an absolutely putrid 1 of 33 on the Power Play after having the best power play in the league. If they were even close to the 20% they had in the regular season, the series would have been a sweep. The problem is that the Caps did not do a good job of adjusting to how the Canadiens were playing them.
    Exactly my point. An offence that relies on only a few players can be shut down. You need either depth or a goalie that saves better than Jesus to make up for it. It failed Washington last playoffs, it failed San Jose every playoffs (to be fair they have depth, it's the entire team that just kinda seems to choke, starting at the top with Jumbo Joe) and it failed Ottawa in the cup finals in '07.

PS: I realized that in recent history more playoff successes came from hot no-name goalies. Look at big names who did pretty well: Giguere, Osgood, Hasek, Fleury, Brodeur (before the lockout). That's about it. No-names: counting cup rings alone gets you Niemi and Ward, then there's guys who went to finals: Roloson, Boucher, Giguere when he was a no-name (before the lockout though). And there's Halak, who came pretty damn close to the finals.

On the other hand look at all the big name goalies that choked: Luongo, Brodeur (post-lockout), Nabokov (numerous times), Lundqvist, Miller, Thomas, Theodore, Kipper (to be fair he's not to blame, his team is)... the list goes on. Sure, teams carry some of the blame, but when your team scores 5 goals in an elimination game and you can't win because your all-star goalie let in 7, makes you rethink.
    Last edited by Don Julio Anejo; 2010-10-12 at 04:34 PM.
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chunklets View Post
    Apparently, it was a fainting spell, perhaps brought on by prolonged standing combined with stress (been there). As you said, terrifying, and I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious. I feel for the guy that he got a concussion when he fell, though.
    That was very frightening. I was watching live on TV and immediately thought stroke or heart attack.

Fair enough, and I actually looked up Neuvirth's stats - they're better, at both the AHL and NHL level, than I'd expected. I wouldn't put too much stake in his Calder Cup victories, though; Hershey have had an awesome team overall for that league the last couple of years (they're likely to be that way this year as well, particularly if they have a healthy Souray for the entire season). How bad are Varlamov's injury concerns? I still think, if I were Washington, that I'd want veteran cover somewhere in the system.
    Well, the Varlamov durability concerns are starting to get legitimate. He missed a couple of months last year due to a groin injury and now he's out again with a groin injury. He seems to be susceptible to these kinds of injuries with his goaltending style, so there's some question whether or not he can stay healthy.

Exactly my point. An offence that relies on only a few players can be shut down. You need either depth or a goalie that saves better than Jesus to make up for it. It failed Washington last playoffs, it failed San Jose every playoffs (to be fair they have depth, it's the entire team that just kinda seems to choke, starting at the top with Jumbo Joe) and it failed Ottawa in the cup finals in '07.
    Depthwise, the Caps had 7 players with 20+ goals, with Mike Green just a little behind at 19. A lot of those goals came on the power play, so it inflates the stats of players like Brooks Laich (12 PP), Tomas Fleischmann (7 PP), and Mike Green (10 PP). I do agree with you that the Capitals need a little bit of secondary scoring. The solution is to get a veteran 2nd center to set up Brooks Laich and Alexander Semin, so we don't need to rely on the first line offense or the PP to generate scoring.
    Last edited by Joran; 2010-10-12 at 05:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

This is probably wise, for Leafs and Oilers fans alike! Nonetheless, I've been very impressed with the Leafs, and am looking forward to what they can do tomorrow against the Pens. Thoughts on the waiving of Jeff Finger?
    Well, the one thing the Leafs aren't short of is talented defencemen. Finger just wasn't fitting into the plan. However, if Burke can move Kaberle, I'd expect to see Finger back in the Blue and White.

(But that's a big if. I don't think the rest of the league feels Kaberle is as valuable as Burke does. Which I always find suprising, because I still think he's one of the best puck-moving D-men in the league.)
    Masquerade Indy by Gnomish Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Mustiado View Post
    Still think that was an epic prank, *snip* Kudos, gentlemen.
    I was outzombied by the baby!!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
    Well, the one thing the Leafs aren't short of is talented defencemen. Finger just wasn't fitting into the plan. However, if Burke can move Kaberle, I'd expect to see Finger back in the Blue and White.

(But that's a big if. I don't think the rest of the league feels Kaberle is as valuable as Burke does. Which I always find suprising, because I still think he's one of the best puck-moving D-men in the league.)
    Yeah, I'm a little bit puzzled as to why the Leafs were trying to off-load Kaberle in the first place, unless Burke is committing to a full-scale tear-down and rebuild, no ifs ands or buts. I think Kaberle is a very useful player.

The Leafs were pretty impressive again last night, as well... Gustaffson looked a bit insecure at times, but he did enough, and made some really nice saves as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joran
    Well, the Varlamov durability concerns are starting to get legitimate. He missed a couple of months last year due to a groin injury and now he's out again with a groin injury. He seems to be susceptible to these kinds of injuries with his goaltending style, so there's some question whether or not he can stay healthy.
    Yup, groin injuries are the sort of thing that recur, especially for butterfly goalies. Hopefully he gets to have a decent career. How's the Caps' goalie depth behind Varlamov and Neuvirth?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo
    On the other hand look at all the big name goalies that choked: Luongo, Brodeur (post-lockout), Nabokov (numerous times), Lundqvist, Miller, Thomas, Theodore, Kipper (to be fair he's not to blame, his team is)... the list goes on. Sure, teams carry some of the blame, but when your team scores 5 goals in an elimination game and you can't win because your all-star goalie let in 7, makes you rethink.
    I'll be very interested to see how the Canucks use Luongo this year - it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him get a lot less work than he's used to, in the hopes that he'll be fresher for the playoffs (no Olympics will help). Actually, I think most if not all of the goalies you mentioned there have been the victims of regular-season overwork, which may explain their playoff struggles.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

I doubt Luongo will play much less this season. I mean, how many times has Vancouver had a perfectly servicecable backup and claimed that this would be the year that Luongo only played 60-65 games? Are Canucks management really that much more confident in Cory Schneider than they were with Raycroft or LaBarbera? I expect Luongo to play about 70 games, maybe more if Schneider has a couple of bad games in relief. It's a similar case with most of the big-money goalies. When you have a Henrik Lundqvist or a Miikka Kiprusoff, do you really dare to take them out of the net and trust your back-up to get you the two points? Especially when a lot of teams with a big-name goalie don't have a lot of depth at that position.

In a bit of a new topic, I've developed an ever-increasing dislike for the Edmonton Journal's "crack" staff of hockey writers. Today's top story? Magnus Paajarvi has played 2 NHL games and doesn't have a point yet. That's right. He played two games and doesn't have a point. CLEARLY THE SEASON IS GOING TO BE A DISASTER. Also, it took all of one paragraph for grievous factual errors to arise (Paajarvi got a hat trick against Dan Ellis of Tampa, and has in fact never played against the Vancouver Canucks. Hall of Fame writer my butt).

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

I doubt Luongo will play much less this season. I mean, how many times has Vancouver had a perfectly servicecable backup and claimed that this would be the year that Luongo only played 60-65 games? Are Canucks management really that much more confident in Cory Schneider than they were with Raycroft or LaBarbera? I expect Luongo to play about 70 games, maybe more if Schneider has a couple of bad games in relief. It's a similar case with most of the big-money goalies. When you have a Henrik Lundqvist or a Miikka Kiprusoff, do you really dare to take them out of the net and trust your back-up to get you the two points? Especially when a lot of teams with a big-name goalie don't have a lot of depth at that position.
    I don't entirely disagree, but I do think teams would be better off to bite the bullet and run with the backup more often, as I think that would pay dividends in the playoffs. Of course, if the team is in fight just to make the playoffs in the first place, that's not going to be possible, but I don't think Vancouver (for example) really needs to worry about that. Calgary and the Rangers, on the other hand... I agree with you that they're likely going to have to run the wheels off Kipper and Lundqvist.

I honestly don't know, though, what is the ideal number of regular season starts for a number one goalie. 55, maybe? I suppose it depends a certain amount on the particular goalie involved.

In a bit of a new topic, I've developed an ever-increasing dislike for the Edmonton Journal's "crack" staff of hockey writers. Today's top story? Magnus Paajarvi has played 2 NHL games and doesn't have a point yet. That's right. He played two games and doesn't have a point. CLEARLY THE SEASON IS GOING TO BE A DISASTER. Also, it took all of one paragraph for grievous factual errors to arise (Paajarvi got a hat trick against Dan Ellis of Tampa, and has in fact never played against the Vancouver Canucks. Hall of Fame writer my butt).
    Amen to that. I saw that article and rolled my eyes. Paajarvi's been doing just fine - he backchecks like a demon, which is refreshing in a kid his age, and has arguably been the best guy on his line. The points will come, particularly if Renney gives him a game or two with Penner or Hemsky.

And I must say that there was an air of inevitability about last night's loss. 14 in a row now, in Minnesota -eek! I'd imagine the boys will be spending some practise time working on the PK in the near future...
    Last edited by Chunklets; 2010-10-15 at 11:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Yup, groin injuries are the sort of thing that recur, especially for butterfly goalies. Hopefully he gets to have a decent career. How's the Caps' goalie depth behind Varlamov and Neuvirth?
    The Caps have another well-regarded minor league goalie prospect in Braden Holtby. He hasn't quite gotten enough seasoning in the AHL for me to feel comfortable with him except for an emergency call-up.

We also signed Dany Sabourin for depth. He has more NHL experience than Varlamov and Neuvirth combined, but he spent all of last year in the AHL.

Defensive depth is still a primary concern. If Sloan or Erskine (or worse Sloskine) is out there for any period of time, the Caps fans start getting heartburn...

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Leafs are 4-0-0. I predict one more win, at most, before they fail utterly for the rest of the season.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't entirely disagree, but I do think teams would be better off to bite the bullet and run with the backup more often, as I think that would pay dividends in the playoffs. Of course, if the team is in fight just to make the playoffs in the first place, that's not going to be possible, but I don't think Vancouver (for example) really needs to worry about that. Calgary and the Rangers, on the other hand... I agree with you that they're likely going to have to run the wheels off Kipper and Lundqvist.

I honestly don't know, though, what is the ideal number of regular season starts for a number one goalie. 55, maybe? I suppose it depends a certain amount on the particular goalie involved.
    I honestly have no idea how Glen Sather still has a job with the Rangers. The guy has an all-world goalie, but the Blueshirts can't contend because he throws money at bit players like it's 1994. Derek Boogaard makes nearly 2 million dollars a year. He will score ZERO goals and I doubt he even plays 42 games.

Calgary is probably going to have to run Kipper into the ground to get anywhere near a playoff spot. Their big guns don't appear to be doing all that much and most of their support players are on the shelf. Hopefully the Oilers can capitalize on that on Saturday.

Amen to that. I saw that article and rolled my eyes. Paajarvi's been doing just fine - he backchecks like a demon, which is refreshing in a kid his age, and has arguably been the best guy on his line. The points will come, particularly if Renney gives him a game or two with Penner or Hemsky.

And I must say that there was an air of inevitability about last night's loss. 14 in a row now, in Minnesota -eek! I'd imagine the boys will be spending some practise time working on the PK in the near future...
    Paajarvi's offensive zone entry has also drawn about 8 penalties in three games. I heard Renney mention that maybe he needs more minutes if he's going to start producing, so maybe they'll give him some power play time or something.

That Minnesota curse is dumb-founding. That was a completely winnable game until they got those back-to-back PP goals, then the Oilers just stopped trying until the last push with Khabibulin pulled. It's even more bizarre because Backstrom is typically pretty bad in Edmonton (I sat right behind him one game at Rexall and watched an all-star goalie look like he was fresh out of junior).

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Calgary is probably going to have to run Kipper into the ground to get anywhere near a playoff spot. Their big guns don't appear to be doing all that much and most of their support players are on the shelf. Hopefully the Oilers can capitalize on that on Saturday.
    And we can add to that that the Flames apparently hate their coach. That said, they're likely to appear in a very snarly mood this evening. This game has the potential to be ugly in a number of ways.

On the other hand, the Oilers are faster, younger, and, dare I say it, more skilled than Calgary. If the Oil can establish themselves in the Flames' zone the way they did in the first and third periods of game 1, they might just pull this on off!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
    The Leafs are 4-0-0. I predict one more win, at most, before they fail utterly for the rest of the season.
    I'd be surprised - I haven't seen any sign that the Leafs are doing this with smoke and mirrors. The look to me like a genuinely good team right now. Although Clark MacArthur probably isn't going to keep scoring at a goal-a-game pace...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Oh god even I'm jumping on the "trade Kevin Bieksa" bandwagon now. He's a defenseman. He makes 3.75 million. His main upside: he creates offense. His main downside: for the other team.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Oh god even I'm jumping on the "trade Kevin Bieksa" bandwagon now. He's a defenseman. He makes 3.75 million. His main upside: he creates offense. His main downside: for the other team.
    Bieksa hasn't done much of anything so far this year (4 gp, 0-0-0, -1), but he may just have received a stay of execution (or trading, or demotion, or what-have-you) in Vancouver. Apparently, Keith Ballard has a concussion, and may be out for awhile. That's a big empty space on that blueline.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd be surprised - I haven't seen any sign that the Leafs are doing this with smoke and mirrors. The look to me like a genuinely good team right now. Although Clark MacArthur probably isn't going to keep scoring at a goal-a-game pace...
    I'm just sayin' that cause I'm so used to all of Toronto's teams sucking.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Leafs are undefeated, top in their division, top in the East Conference if they win their next one. Curious to see how long it will last.

I wouldn't call myself a hockey fan, really, but I do enjoy the game (though I mostly watch the playoffs and an occasional game in the regular season).
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Leafs are starting up great this year, good for em, i guess.

Bu I am an Habs fab, and even though the Leafs are ahead right now, I do like what I am seeing. For the Price nay-sayers, he has been playing great since the start, and thats one less worry for me, the kid seems to have gained a ton of maturity, and I am glad he is stepping up to the role of first goalie.

The rest of the team is playing good as well, mostly, and if we can keep injury free, it will be an interesting season. When we get Markov back that will be a huge improvement as well.

Anyways, to all i wish a great hockey season,!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm glad Carey Price has played well so far, because if he hits a rough patch... man, those Bell Centre fans will eat him alive. I mean, they booed the cat in his first game in the preseason. Lars Eller might end up taking a lot of heat, too, if he's mediocre and Halak turns out to be as good for St. Louis as he was in the playoffs last year for the Habs.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yep, thats the most annoying thing about being a Habs fan right now, those boo-birds...
    I think Price can handle a rough patch though, its part of being a pro hockey player.

About Halak, well he hasnt played all too many games in the nhl yet, but i wish him all the best.
    The truth of it is though, they couldnt keep Halak and Plekanec, so they went with Price. The turtle-neck is worth it, if you ask me!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

So Vancouver Canucks enforcer Rick Rypien is an idiot. I just heard about this, but apparently tonight in Minnesota he attacked a fan who, based on pretty good video evidence, says something to him but makes no attempt to engage him in any fashion other than verbally.

Article about the incident, with video.

I suspect that in the next day or so they'll announce his lengthy suspension.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

So Vancouver Canucks enforcer Rick Rypien is an idiot. I just heard about this, but apparently tonight in Minnesota he attacked a fan who, based on pretty good video evidence, says something to him but makes no attempt to engage him in any fashion other than verbally.

Article about the incident, with video.

I suspect that in the next day or so they'll announce his lengthy suspension.
    Yeah, Rypien was totally out of control there - you know there's a problem when your own coach and team-mates have to physically restrain you.

Anyway, he sucker-punched an opponent who was being restrained, shoved an official, and got into it with a fan who, as you say, had done little or nothing in the way of physical provocation. My money's on 15 games. And I wouldn't be too surprised if an assault charge came out of it, although I haven't read anything yet about police involvement.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I heard on the radio this morning that the fan he grabbed was a lawyer as well.
    And you know the guy is gonna get it hard, as he is not a star player, and the league will want to make him an example.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shiram View Post
    And you know the guy is gonna get it hard, as he is not a star player, and the league will want to make him an example.
    Super Secret Suspension Flowchart:
    Spoiler
    Show

Judging by the flowchart, 5+ games. I'd say around 15-20 games.

I'm happy though that most goons/enforcers that don't at least have a modicum of skill aren't in the league anymore.
    Last edited by Joran; 2010-10-21 at 10:44 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

I used to be a big hockey fan when I was a kid but then I stopped being able to watch games and my interest faded. Now I'm starting to get back into and learn about player and team histories so if anyone can suggest some sites to help me with this I'd appreciate it. Oh yeah, and I'm a Red Wings fan.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Sorcerer View Post
    I used to be a big hockey fan when I was a kid but then I stopped being able to watch games and my interest faded. Now I'm starting to get back into and learn about player and team histories so if anyone can suggest some sites to help me with this I'd appreciate it. Oh yeah, and I'm a Red Wings fan.
    I follow the SB Nation blog for the Capitals: Japer's Rink. The articles are great and unlike any other website on the face of the Internet, the comments are awesome. The people on the blog have a good grasp of the advanced metrics and are willing to back up any disagreements with evidence. Very few trolls and they're mostly shouted down.

The Red Wings SB Nation blog is Winging It In Motown. The Washington Post, our local newspaper, and CSN Washington, the local cable distributor, both have blogs, so I'd check if there's anything there.

Finally, Twitter is probably the best place to go for complete up to the date news right when it breaks. Follow the beat reporters and the blog authors for interesting conversations.
    Last edited by Joran; 2010-10-21 at 01:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Super Secret Suspension Flowchart:
    Spoiler
    Show

Judging by the flowchart, 5+ games. I'd say around 15-20 games.

I'm happy though that most goons/enforcers that don't at least have a modicum of skill aren't in the league anymore.
    That flowchart is brilliant - "dammit, Pronger!" And if you're not familiar with Down Goes Brown, the blog from which it came, you should be! DGB is hands-down the funniest hockey-related stuff you will ever read. The guys who write it are Leafs fans, but they're scathingly hard on their own team as well as all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Sorcerer
    And, while we're on the subject of blogs, um, pretty much what Joran said! The SBnation blogs are pretty good in general. Winging it in Motown also has a good sidebar with a lot of other Red Wings blogs.

Other useful sites include Hockey Reference, which is awesome for just looking things up, and CapGeek, which helps make sense of the whole salary cap issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shiram
    Yup, this is not going to end well for Mr. Rypien. Somebody pointed out that he actually shoved Henrik Sedin out of the way to get at the fan, and pushing one's own captain around is not probably the way to go.

Don Julio, or other Canucks' fans in here, do you have any thoughts on the matter from a Canuck-supporting perspective?