New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1465
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The 3.5 Red Hand Of Doom Handbook for DMs [Major spoilers!] - WIP, PEACH!

Anyone have any thoughts on a battle map for Cathedral Square? It seems odd to have a detailed map for so many other locations but then to have one of the most climactic battles of the campaign on a dull vinyl battlemap.

(At this point, I'm wondering if the Cathedral itself might be a more interesting setting for the battle--though if the PCs retreat to the cathedral, the logical thing for Kharn to do would be to just have his giants batter the buttresses until it collapsed and buried all the PCs and NPCs inside).

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The 3.5 Red Hand Of Doom Handbook for DMs [Major spoilers!] - WIP, PEACH!

I've been pondering about the problem of equipping the Horde; specifically how they armed the whole army with such high quality weapons and armor. It doesn't really make sense that the Goblinoids had those to start with (normal Goblins or Hobgoblins generally lack access to masterwork weapons, let alone in such quantities), and the portal clearly has sharp limits on how much materiel it can supply daily (at the very least, it seems to be able to transport an extremely limited number of creatures at the present).

There are no forges in sight anywhere and supplying such a quantity of masterwork equipment the oldfashioned way is difficult: it takes an expert craftsman days to complete a single masterwork sword (a masterwork longsword used by Hobgoblin Regular costs 3150 points to make and a craftsman with +20 to craft can take 10 and increase DC by 10 to make 30*30 = 900 points of progress each day, or 3½ days each) and each of those ~3000 horde goblinoids has armor, masterwork weapon and in some cases masterwork bow as well. In total, arming a single Hobgoblin Regular (1600 in the Horde) is 3150 (mw. longsword) + 2000 (+1 str composite longbow) + 1500 (chainmail) + 200 (heavy steel shield) = 6850 points of effort; assume a more average smith with +10 to the craft and it's about 400 progress a day for a total of a bit over 17 days to arm one.

In a year, a single smith could thus arm about 21 Hobgoblin regulars so there would need to be 150 craftsmen working for a year to produce the basic weapons and armor used by the horde - seems difficult to believe it would realistically spend that long assembling; I'll give it a month tops before the flighty types want to go pillaging and the heavy hitters want to get paid, and the Hobgoblins fall into in-fighting. To arm them all in a month, you'd need ~2000 craftsmen (smiths and bowyers).

Worst of all, none of the races in the Horde are liable to produce numbers of good smiths, and I'd loathe to introduce an additional race that only appears in this function (though Kobolds or Duergar would both work, but they should probably be present in another capacity as well). Legion Devils and Chain Devils both have some craft skills as well, so they could theoretically do a part of the job, but having enough of them to actually get the job done would be ridiculous. I'd tend towards using Goblins (since all but the "elite" Goblins (class-leveled elite array Worg Riders) from presumably Saarvith's tribe are suspiciously nowhere to be found), but they don't seem like the dedicated, hard-working types.

Thus, it seems the likeliest that the weapons were produced and supplied by magic. However, Fabricate is the only reasonable way of doing so and that's a 5th level spell; any caster with access to such a spell would certainly be a force in the Horde; it's hard to buy the horde conspicuously missing a bunch of level 9+ arcanists. I believe I found a good solution though: Rejkal [Monster Manual III] is a 5HD Lawful Evil Outsider native to Cania (Mephistopheles's layer) in Hell. The important bit: it has Fabricate as an at-will spell-like ability. It even natively has +13 Weaponsmithing, Armorsmithing and Carpentry (could be swapped out for Bowmaking). Thus, those vast quantities of equipment could be made by a single or a handful of Rejkals in short order given the raw materials. Rejkals dislike devils but neither Tiamat nor her spawns qualify and there are actually rather few devils overall in the ranks of the Horde so I could see it working out just fine.

I'm thinking it would probably make things make an awful lot more sense for the players to have a "Forge" in the Fane with a bunch of Rejkals and some source of iron supply (some creature capable of casting Wall of Iron as an SLA or just some ordinary supply train; perhaps the Kobolds would need to be involved here or perhaps the Fane itself is built in an iron-rich area).

Of course, all this does nothing to address the fact that there's a positively ridiculous amount of potions and magic items to go around the Horde. That'd take another, more involved magic workshop, probably with some low level Wizards/Clerics (or Artificers). Though those being supplied through the gate is slightly more believable.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2016-08-07 at 03:23 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that the equipment wasn't around already and had to be crafted mostly from the ground up is an assumption you just made up.

As is the assumption that the campaign is not have a year or even years in the making.

Both assumptions are not supported (nor are they contradicted) by the adventure background.

So why hold on two theses assumptions and fabricate increasingly complex explanations for the Horde's armaments instead of opting for the simplest explanation that the majority of equipment already existed and that there are enough craftspeople and time to produce the rest?

4. - Top - End - #1174

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Well, that the equipment wasn't around already and had to be crafted mostly from the ground up is an assumption you just made up.

As is the assumption that the campaign is not have a year or even years in the making.

Both assumptions are not supported (nor are they contradicted) by the adventure background.

So why hold on two theses assumptions and fabricate increasingly complex explanations for the Horde's armaments instead of opting for the simplest explanation that the majority of equipment already existed and that there are enough craftspeople and time to produce the rest?
    Spoiler: Long explanation
    Show
    The question of the arms is something I've noticed a lot of players asking and it's something the campaign doesn't properly touch upon. The "years in the making"-part is probable in the small scale but it doesn't fully explain the source of the equipment. Evil creatures tend towards in-fighting and self-interest making long-term cooperation in large groups difficult; thus I wouldn't expect the early stages to have involved too much beyond Tyrgaryn/Azarr Kul/Varanthian and probably some of the higher ranked members. The actual assembly of the Horde is a bit of a larger scale event and one that's both harder to hide and harder to maintain than a small core group; thus I would expect that the campaign had to start fairly soon thereafter.

So...where exactly did this stock of equipment come from and how did it get to the Wyrmsmoke Mountains for the assembly? Did Azarr Kul buy them? Tyrgaryn? Either way, from whom? With what resources? Why are those parties no longer involved (since clearly there are no smiths anywhere to be seen in the campaign)? Did Azarr no longer want to pay them for their assistance? Why aren't there any members of this faction among the Horde? There are just too many questions. It feels much more natural to assume that someone made them specifically for the Horde and given the numbers and the quality, I feel like the easiest explanation is simply that creatures like the Rejkals, that can accomplish the task with relatively little effort in a short span of time, were sent/employed by Tiamat/Azarr Kul for this very purpose and the equipment of the Horde received a make-up during the assembly. This also provides the Goblins and the Hobgoblins and company with an extra incentive to join. This just begs the question of where the iron ore came from, but that question comes up anyways. No matter where the weapons came from, it's decidedly non-trivial to provide enough iron for thousands of mails and masterwork swords. This can offer both, some sweet background and continuation hooks for the campaign.

There are certainly benefits to making such activities exist "on screen" (should the players decide to take a peak anyways) as opposed to sweeping them under the rug. Having a satisfactory answer in place would offer the players an "Aha!"-moment as they are finishing the campaign, as well as make it feel more like they are also stopping the raising of another humanoid Horde if the source of weaponry is cut. Placing the production facilities in the Fane gives the players a better incentive to take it out and ties it more to the previous events of the campaign (the Fane is something many groups seem to describe as an anti-climax; giving it more story significance and a more organic ecology should certainly help in that regard). It also makes it easier to write the Horde being constantly reinforced as it advanced into the story, giving the players additional midway options of trying to sneak behind the enemy lines and hit both, enemy reinforcements and supply lines.

In short, I'd like to explain the matters for three reasons:

1) The existence of a ready explanation improves the immersion offered by the campaign for strategically-minded players probably asking themselves questions about Horde supplies. Related questions can come up in divinations (towards the end of the campaign, Contact Other Plane and Commune among others are readily available) as well as plain oldfashioned scouting. Also, particularly after the Battle of Brindol, the players might be very interested in stopping another Horde from being raised and the remnants from being rallied.

2) The question of the armament can be used to tie the Fane into the story a bit better. It can also help guide the redesign of the Fane, feeling more like a stronghold/base of operations than a random dungeon.

3) It provides a convenient excuse to introduce new types of creatures with a natural ecological niche into the campaign. One of the purposes of the fifth chapter is stated to be offering a variety of creatures the module doesn't have room for elsewhere due to the overabundance of Hobgoblins and the nature of the army.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2016-08-07 at 05:49 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #1175

PaladinGuy

I'll add that, after just the first encounter with Red Hand forces, my players thought it was unusual that they had all the good equipment and asked where it came from.

Now, I'm not actually certain that there needs to be an explanation. If there are 20-30,000 hobgoblins in the area that the Red Hand draws its forces from (which would be on the low side of standard historical population numbers in order to support a 3,600 odd strong army), it's easily possible for a concerted effort to produce all of the equipment they have over the course of a couple years. If you assume that some of the equipment was pre-existing (hobgoblins would have had some swords, bows, armor, etc already and some of them would have been masterwork), then it only takes a year or less of concerted effort. One could also posit that in a martial culture like most hobgoblins have (before or after the horde), masterwork weapons would be heirlooms passed down from father to son, warrior society sponsor to inductee, or from defeated foe to victor and many hobgoblins would wield blades that were decades if not centuries old, passed down from one champion to another. Thus there would be a high level of pre-existing masterwork weapons in the region and the horde would not have to make all of them from scratch.

But, the bottom line is that my players think there should be an explanation, so it will be good storytelling to give them one whether it is in terms of hobgoblin culture, massive smithworks in the hobgoblin settlements outside/on the way to the fane, or a summoned creature in the fane itself.

I've already started doing something of that by giving the bladebearer's magic swords special markings (the guards are stylized blued steel dragon claws with a stylized blued steel dragon head head for the pommel) that they will eventually figure out are a sign of rank and order within the horde. (The dragons claw design is the weapon of a bladebearer; the blued steel marks him as a member of a tribe subject to Tyrgarun--if he were in Abiathrax's orbit, it would be red colored, etc; my take is that all the arcane casters in the horde are dragonblooded sorcerers and are likewise subject to one of the dragons whose element they employ). I haven't decided whether to go for massive smith-works, cultural explanation, a summoned smith, or some combination of all of the above but my players will get the explanation if they are still looking for it.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Bugbear in the Playground

Last session, my group defeated Varanthian (and left him stabilized on the ground.. they'll regret that), Ulwai, and traded the phylactery for the Ghostlord's agreement not to participate in the attack on Brindol.

Tomorrow, they will be heading back and destroying the second blockade (which I've relocated to a pass on the way to Hammerfist Holds) and probably delivering the gold to the dwarves. I'll be running the Marked for Death encounter then they'll head back to Brindol ahead of the Horde encampment. I've already run the war preparations roleplay.

My problem is that it is going to be a four hour session and I'd like to delay the battle for Brindol until next week, so it can start at the beginning of the session. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fill tomorrow's session without making it less fun? I would run some random encounters in the Thornwastes but I have to introduce a new PC so I don't want to add time before that.

7. - Top - End - #1177

Quote Originally Posted by ComaVision View Post
    Last session, my group defeated Varanthian (and left him stabilized on the ground.. they'll regret that), Ulwai, and traded the phylactery for the Ghostlord's agreement not to participate in the attack on Brindol.

Tomorrow, they will be heading back and destroying the second blockade (which I've relocated to a pass on the way to Hammerfist Holds) and probably delivering the gold to the dwarves. I'll be running the Marked for Death encounter then they'll head back to Brindol ahead of the Horde encampment. I've already run the war preparations roleplay.

My problem is that it is going to be a four hour session and I'd like to delay the battle for Brindol until next week, so it can start at the beginning of the session. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fill tomorrow's session without making it less fun? I would run some random encounters in the Thornwastes but I have to introduce a new PC so I don't want to add time before that.
    How many days ahead of the Horde are they? Where are you introducing the new PC? Perhaps you could do it at the Holds or en route? That said, if there's time there's any number of things they could do. For instance, there are always the garrison training options touched upon in this very guide. Alternatively, do they have the wits to take their own initiative? They're on a level where they have a decent chance of having the tools to make surgical scry'n'die attacks against the Horde leadership in their sleep, harassing their supply lines, rescuing captives, spreading misinformation and attacking enemy morale, or in general doing War Things™. The module is kind enough to give you decent enough framework for any such action so you'll only need to adjust things a bit.

Alternatively, you could cook something up at the Hammerfist Holds; should they take the gold to the Holds (if the time is tight enough, they may not have another option) have some dwarven champion challenge one of them to single combat to test their mettle and perhaps to get them the services cheaper should they win. Or have them participate in some Shining Axe pre-combat ritual (probably involving ale, various martially oriented games and such). Either way, I'd make sure to award them some VP for the Dwarven assistance should it be forthcoming and perhaps stat some of the key members out and perhaps include some Dwarven NPCs into the encounters. If you expand upon this, you could even give them some opportunities to win over the leadership of the Hammerfist Holds proper and get some of the Holds to send their own forces to help alongside the mercenaries (who are coming if paid).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2016-08-09 at 02:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1178

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    How many days ahead of the Horde are they?
    Approximately two weeks, though I'll probably shorten that if they settle down in Brindol too quickly. It seems anticlimactic to have them wait too long.

Where are you introducing the new PC? Perhaps you could do it at the Holds or en route?
    I think he'll be introduced either as a prisoner at the blockade or at the Hammerfist Holds, depending on what he makes. I won't know what the character is until just before the session.

That said, if there's time there's any number of things they could do. For instance, there are always the garrison training options touched upon in this very guide. Alternatively, do they have the wits to take their own initiative? They're on a level where they have a decent chance of having the tools to make surgical scry'n'die attacks against the Horde leadership in their sleep, harassing their supply lines, rescuing captives, spreading misinformation and attacking enemy morale, or in general doing War Things™. The module is kind enough to give you decent enough framework for any such action so you'll only need to adjust things a bit.
    I don't think they're likely to try anything without some NPC prodding, and the wizard and psion both lack any divination. They could be instructed to do something though.

Alternatively, you could cook something up at the Hammerfist Holds; should they take the gold to the Holds (if the time is tight enough, they may not have another option) have some dwarven champion challenge one of them to single combat to test their mettle and perhaps to get them the services cheaper should they win. Or have them participate in some Shining Axe pre-combat ritual (probably involving ale, various martially oriented games and such). Either way, I'd make sure to award them some VP for the Dwarven assistance should it be forthcoming and perhaps stat some of the key members out and perhaps include some Dwarven NPCs into the encounters. If you expand upon this, you could even give them some opportunities to win over the leadership of the Hammerfist Holds proper and get some of the Holds to send their own forces to help alongside the mercenaries (who are coming if paid).
    Good suggestions. I should probably have some ideas for Brindol and some for HH, ran as time permits and the players like. I've changed the HH to be populated by dwarves and goliaths, so maybe I'll run a game of goatball. Thanks for your thoughts.

9. - Top - End - #1179

I've been using a lot of these changes, often to great effect. Thanks again! My players just finished up Rhest and will be heading back to the Vale and the Thornwaste next week. All things considered, they did pretty well! It's Day 21 now and they managed to:

Kill Saarvith
    Heavily wound Regiarix and steal half his hoard, though he managed to escape...with his best friend dead, half his hoard gone, his mission a failure, and his pride heavily wounded. He'll be back. And very angry.
    Destroy all but one of the greenspawn eggs (the druid insisted on adopting the last egg, which is going to be...interesting)
    Wipe out the Red Hand presence in Rhestilor, with the exception of the blockade
    Secure an alliance with the Tiri Kitor elves--they're even lending owls to the party!
    Obtain the phylactery and the note.

I restatted Regiarix but left Saarvith as-is. It was surprisingly effective! You see, the party consists of a half-orc, a halfling, an elf, and a half-elf. Outside of the half-elf archer, their ranged options are kinda crappy, and Saarvith's favored enemy and elfbane arrows did some serious damage before the half-orc was able to close in and kill him. I'd recommend looking at party makeup before restatting Saarvith!

Anyway, the next few sessions are going to be interesting, as setting the Red Hand in my world made things much more morally gray on both sides and with a wonderfully-timed natural 20 to recall info on Ulwai, she became not only "clever, confident, and seductive" but a natural leader, a true visionary, and Kia's (the half orc) childhood hero. Long story short I changed her from a devotee of Tiamat to someone who doesn't care about that but sees the Red Hand as the best opportunity to unite all the Plavaan (goblin, hobgoblin, orc, drow, etc) tribes together and turn them from a small and silly people to a truly great one. This will be fun.

Do you guys have any suggestions, by the way?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2016-08-28 at 01:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1180

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    I've been using a lot of these changes, often to great effect. Thanks again! My players just finished up Rhest and will be heading back to the Vale and the Thornwaste next week. All things considered, they did pretty well! It's Day 21 now and they managed to:

Kill Saarvith
    Heavily wound Regiarix and steal half his hoard, though he managed to escape...with his best friend dead, half his hoard gone, his mission a failure, and his pride heavily wounded. He'll be back. And very angry.
    Destroy all but one of the greenspawn eggs (the druid insisted on adopting the last egg, which is going to be...interesting)
    Wipe out the Red Hand presence in Rhestilor, with the exception of the blockade
    Secure an alliance with the Tiri Kitor elves--they're even lending owls to the party!
    Obtain the phylactery and the note.

I restatted Regiarix but left Saarvith as-is. It was surprisingly effective! You see, the party consists of a half-orc, a halfling, an elf, and a half-elf. Outside of the half-elf archer, their ranged options are kinda crappy, and Saarvith's favored enemy and elfbane arrows did some serious damage before the half-orc was able to close in and kill him. I'd recommend looking at party makeup before restatting Saarvith!
    I gotta say, I personally love Mystic Ranger Saarvith (level 9 for Evasion) and wouldn't run him without now. Mostly because particularly with the various Arrow-spells from Champions of Ruin/Spell Compendium, it makes him feel special; not just another ranger but one whose arrows split in flight, burn with the dark flame of Tiamat, paralyses target, flies straight through armor, or causes backlash from active magical energies. As an added bonus, keeps him efficient while jacking up his Wis so that he isn't out the second someone hits him with Glitterdust or whatever. I further had him use his Summons to milk some poison and poison his arrows with Viper poison (DC14 for 1d6 Con) for a bit of extra funzies.

And the Wyrmlords in general come with "Hit my weak save!"-signs as written: this sorta addresses it for him (mine had Fort and Will both of like +10). Fort at the Sorcerer, Will at the Ranger, Fort at the Bard, Ref at the FS/Cleric. And it's easy to learn the classes of all of the Wyrmlords early on (Koth from Marauder Attack and others from Koth's notes/Koth himself). Even the encounters suit that; Koth is generally on the ground, an easy target for Stinking Cloud, Saarvith particularly mounted is a wonderful target for Glitterdust (hitting Regiarix too with some chance of affecting him), Ulwai's position is insanely vulnerable to Stinking Cloud, Kharn comes head-on on the ground, perfect for Web/Bands of Steel/whatever and you fight Azarr Kul in his chambers. Bleh. I rewrote all of them to have higher saves and at least one save reroll (most with Alter Fortune, some with Luck-domain and/or some items).

Anyway, the next few sessions are going to be interesting, as setting the Red Hand in my world made things much more morally gray on both sides and with a wonderfully-timed natural 20 to recall info on Ulwai, she became not only "clever, confident, and seductive" but a natural leader, a true visionary, and Kia's (the half orc) childhood hero. Long story short I changed her from a devotee of Tiamat to someone who doesn't care about that but sees the Red Hand as the best opportunity to unite all the Plavaan (goblin, hobgoblin, orc, drow, etc) tribes together and turn them from a small and silly people to a truly great one. This will be fun.

Do you guys have any suggestions, by the way?
    That sounds quite interesting and certainly a step up from the baseline. Personal involvement is great! Given broadness of your question and my relative lack of awareness of what you've done with the campaign world though, I can't offer you much here. Still, sounds great - do tell how it goes from there!
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2016-08-28 at 04:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1181

Has anyone ever rebuilt any of the friendly NPCs? I'm considering rebuilding Captain Ulverth as a Crusader 7 in case they have a group member die before the fight with Kharn. The wizard already died to Abithriax but they've brought him back with the Staff of Life.
    Last edited by ComaVision; 2016-09-01 at 12:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I find Tredora's build offensive: the module gives you one free rez, but then make the only high level cleric an Aasimar, so instead of 9 levels and Raise Dead she gets 8 levels and fails. Refund that level with Human or Lesser Aasimar so the town actually has a decent cleric. Having the most powerful character in the next major town be a Half-Dragon to waste levels is also bogus.

In fact, if you take a look at NPC generation you'll find that the town got completely screwed on their rolls. Jaarmath managed to roll a 2 on 3d4, while the 10th and 12th level fighters needed to seed other NPCs are completely absent. You can say that all these NPCs are placed outside normal generation of course, but that just means that they didn't get any standard NPCs. The town has been stripped of anyone who could cast even a shadow of doubt on the idea that the PCs are the only choice, instead of making the best choice for actual reasons.

Related, if you get the number of clerics/adepts in the town it becomes clear just how much of a failure Jaarmath's plan of front line clerics really is, they have like 50 and most of those are adepts. Meanwhile the horde is cheating their butts of with 200 clr3's, not to mention all the war2's and the rest.

Anyway. A lot of people have modified the Lions of Brindol for better combat use, making them martial adepts or something would be totally in line. Though it'd be way cooler to make them all individualized since elites should never be cookie cutter.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

13. - Top - End - #1183

The Elves of Tiri-Kitor are really weak as written. Well, Sellyria is mostly fine and Trellaria just needs the non-core Bard stuff added. Sellyria could swap out Combat Casting for something useful; she's supposed to be venerable but powerful. Her spells can be redesigned in line with the usual Druid considerations. Further, her items make very little sense. She gets nothing out of the Ring of Protection and Amulet of Natural Armor since she gets autohit anyways and she'll probably want to fight in Wildshape. Some Con/Wis boosters for simple items are my preference. Well, I gave her Con since I rather preferred the usual Wis/Con/Cha/Int/Dex/Str assortment which gave her 10 Con and boosted her HP significantly (up to 35). For Trellaria I gave the usual Bard-treatment, tricking out her Inspire Courage a bit and gave her Craft Wand, along with a Wand of CLW.

However, the basic Rangers feel weak considering they're a hundred years old, few in numbers (the adventure gives them 5x Ranger 4, 11x Ranger 3, 15x Ranger 2 & 22x Ranger 1 for a total force of 53),and really the only military force the Tiri-Kitor have to protect themselves with. I personally bumped them up a level, gave them a level of Whirling Frenzy Barbarian and swapped Strength and Constitution. Additionally, I gave them an actual melee weapon (Falchion), Studded Leather, gave them some buff items and gave them the Plunging Shot feat since they mostly fight from Owlback anyways. Killiar Arrowswift I bumped him up a level (since he's the de facto leader of the Rangers, I wanted him a level higher), turned into a Mystic Ranger and gave him Knowledge Devotion, swapped his stats so he has 12 Int, 12 Con, 10 Str, 8 Cha, gave him archery spells, Collector of Stories, +2 Dex Gloves & Mithral Breastplate and called it a day. Additionally I wrote some lower level Druids, Clerics (of Corellon) and Sorcerers in; doesn't make sense there's only one Druid in the whole tribe particularly since Wild Elves are highly Druidic, while their favored class is Sorcerer. The highest are level 3.

14. - Top - End - #1184

My group pissed off the elves (botched the Saarvith kill and a bunch of elves died in the counterattack) so I don't have to worry about them. I have added dwarves though, and they're basically just shieldwall fighters. They don't do much damage but they hold a line pretty good. There's one wave left in the Streets of Blood and none of the dwarves have died (I didn't include the barricade, since the defense council didn't talk about what to do if the walls fell at all).

15. - Top - End - #1185

PaladinGuy

I rebuilt most of the friendly NPCs as a part of the two part conversion to Pathfinder and to Greyhawk.

Jorr was a relatively straightforward conversion. Ranger 3/Rogue 2 became Slayer 5 and he traded a few potions for throwing axes and a chain shirt (rather than studded leather).
    Spoiler: Old Jorr
    Show
    “Old” Jorr Natharson
    Human CR 4XP 1200
    Slayer level 5 (skill points 40) Slayer
    Init +3; Senses ; Perception +11
    DEFENSE
    AC 18, Touch 13, flat footed 15 ( +1 Chain Shirt)
    (+3 Dex, +5 armour)
    hp 42 (5d10+5+5);
    Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +2
    OFFENSE
    Speed 30
    Melee Single Attack Axe, throwing +8 (1d6+2) or
    Ranged Longbow ,Composite +9 (1d8+3 X3) +1 to hit and +1 damage if within 30ft
    Full Attack
    Longbow ,Composite +7/+7 (1d8+3 X3) range 110 +1 to hit and +1 damage if within 30ft
    Space 5ft.; Reach 5
    Special Attacks
    Sneak Attack Sneak attack at an extra (D6) 1
    Studied Target (Ex) -1 A slayer can study an opponent he can see as a move action. The slayer then gains a bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks attempted against that opponent, and a bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against it. The DCs of slayer class abilities against that opponent increase by 1. A slayer can only maintain these bonuses against one opponent at a time; these bonuses remain in effect until either the opponent is dead or the slayer studies a new target.

If a slayer deals sneak attack damage to a target, he can study that target as an immediate action, allowing him to apply his studied target bonuses against that target (including to the normal weapon damage roll). Bonus and DC =+ 2
    Studied Target (Ex) -2 The slayer may discard this connection to a studied target as a free action, allowing him to study another target in its place.
    STATISTICS
    Str 14, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Base Attack 5 CMB 7 ; CMD 20
    Feats
    Poison Use (Ex): The slayer is trained in the use of poison, and cannot accidentally poison himself when applying poison to a weapon., Rapid Shot: Gain extra ranged attack all attacks at -2, Alertness: +2 Perception +2 Sense motive, Deadly Aim: -2 to hit with ranged attacks +4 damage, Point Blank Shot: +1 to hit +1 damage if within 30 ft, Precise Shot: Can shoot into melee without -4 penalty,
    Skills Acrobatics 7, Bluff 3, Climb 6, Craft 1, Craft Trap Making 5, Disguise -1, Heal 8, Intimidate -1, Know Arch & Eng 1, Know Geography 6, Know Local 9, Perception 11, Profession 1, Ride 3, Sense Motive 8, Stealth 9, Survival 9, Swim 2
    Languages Common, Goblin
    SPECIAL ABILITIES
    Slayer Talents As a slayer gains experience, he learns a number of talents that aid him and confound his foes. Starting at 2nd level and every 2 levels thereafter, a slayer gains one slayer talent. Unless otherwise noted, a slayer cannot select an individual talent more than once.

Track (Ex) Adds half level on Survival skill checks made to follow or identify tracks.
    Equipment
    Potion of Cure moderate wounds - (300gp), +1 chain shirt, chain shirt, +1 mighty [+2] composite longbow; masterwork longsword, masterwork throwing axe, throwing axe, dagger, masterwork backpack, 4 days’ rations, wineskin, empty bottle of moonshine.

Norro Wiston was pretty much a complete substitution. In my conversion, he is the feudal baron of Drellin's Ferry rather than a merchant/politician.
    Spoiler: Baron Wiston
    Show
    Baron Norro Wiston
    Human Cavalier level 4 (skill points 28) Lion, standardbearer
    (Order of the Lion )
    hp 30 (4d10+8), CR 3 XP 800, Any Medium Humanoid
    Init 0 Speed 20 AC 20, Touch 10, flat footed 20 ( Half-plate (agile), Shield, heavy wooden)
    ( +8 armour, +2 shield)
    Melee Base Attack 4 CMB 6; CMD 16, Single Attack Lance +7 (1d8+3 X3); Space 5ft.; Reach 5
    SA Challenge 2/day, Cavalier’s Charge, Lion’s Call (4 rounds +1 atk/+2 vs fear), SQ Expert Trainer (Ex), Banner (Ex), Order (Ex), Tactician 1/day (5 rounds)
    Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +2,
    Str 16, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 14
    Skills Bluff 9, Climb -4, Diplomacy 7, Handle Animal 9, Intimidate 7, Know Local 9, Know Nobility 7, Perception 4, Ride 7, Sense Motive 7, Swim -16 Feats: Armour Prof Heavy, Armour Prof Light, Armour Prof Medium, Martial Weap Prof, Mounted Combat, Cavalry Charge, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Toughness, Shield Wall (Team); Languages Common
    ITEMS: Masterwork Half-plate (agile), Masterwork cold iron Lance, +1 longsword, masterwork cold iron dagger, potion of cure serious wounds, potion of protection from normal missiles, banner

Captain Soranna was likewise completely replaced with Captain Soren Amroth, Baron Wiston's war leader
    Spoiler: Soren Amroth
    Show
    Soren Amroth Human Barbarian level 5 (skill points 30)
    (Barbarian )
    hp 53 (5d12+10+5), CR 4 XP 1200, Any Medium Humanoid
    Init +1 Speed 30 AC 18, Touch 11, flat footed 17 ( Agile Breastplate)
    (+1 Dex, +7 armour)
    Melee Base Attack 5 CMB 9; CMD 20, Single Attack Greatsword +11 (2d6+7/19-20) or Longbow ,Composite +7 (1d8+4 X3) range 110; Space 5ft.; Reach 5
    SA Rage 13 rounds/day, SQ Fast Movement 10, Improved Uncanny Dodge 1, Trap Sense 1, Uncanny Dodge 1, Superstition +3, Renewed Vitality (2d8+3) 1/day
    Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +4,
    Str 18, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12
    Skills Acrobatics 5(Acrobatics Jumping 8), Climb 11, Diplomacy 5, Handle Animal 1, Intimidate 8, Know Nature 6, Perception 9, Ride 1, Survival 6, Swim 3 Feats: S, Armour Prof Light, Armour Prof Medium, Martial Weap Prof, Power Attack, Iron Will, Furious Focus, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus: Greatsword; Languages Common
    ITEMS: +1 Agile Breastplate, +1 Greatsword, masterwork mighty [+4] composite longbow, 10 arrows, masterwork cold iron heavy mace, dagger, heavy wooden shield, potion of cure serious wounds

My generic Pathfinderized Lion of Bova (Brindol) hews much closer to the original
    Spoiler: generic Lion of Bova
    Show

Lion of Brindol, Fighter level 4 (skill points 16)
    (Fighter )
    hp 38 (4d10+8+4), CR 3 XP 800, Any Medium Humanoid
    Init +5 Speed 20 AC 23, Touch 12, flat footed 21 (masterwork Full-plate, Shield, heavy wooden)
    (+1 Dex, +9 armour, +2 shield, +1 feats)
    Melee Base Attack 4 CMB 7; CMD 19, Single Attack(+1/+0) Longsword +9 (1d8+5/19-20) or Javelin +5 (1d6+3); Reach 5
    SA , SQ Armour Training 1, Bravery 1
    Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +2,
    Str 16, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Skills Climb 1, Handle Animal -1, Intimidate 6, Know Arch & Eng 5, Know Dungeon 5, Know Local 4, Perception 2, Ride 8, Survival 5, Swim -9 Feats: Dodge, Power Attack, Weapon Specialization, Armour Prof Heavy, Armour Prof Light, Armour Prof Medium, Blind-fight, Improved Initiative, Martial Weap Prof, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Tower Shield Proficiency, Weapon Focus: Longsword; Languages Common, dwarven
    ITEMS: Masterwork Full-plate, Masterwork Lance, Masterwork Longsword, 3 javalins, heavy mace, dagger, potion of cure moderate wounds, oil of magic weapon, holy water.

However, I have statted out several individually. For example, Jonas (the brother of one of the PCs) is a Cavalier 4 and I tentatively statted Gareth as a Cavalier 5 at the start of the campaign
    Spoiler: Gareth, lion of Bova
    Show

Gareth, Lion of Bova
    Human CR 4
    XP 1200
    Any Medium Humanoid
    Cavalier level 5 (skill points 25) Lion
    (Order of the Lion )
    Init +1; Senses ; Perception +4
    DEFENSE
    AC 22, Touch 11, flat footed 21 (masterwork Full-plate, Shield, heavy wooden)
    (+1 Dex, +9 armour, +2 shield)
    hp 52 (5d10+10+5+5);
    Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +1
    OFFENSE
    Speed 20
    Melee
    Single Attack Lance +11 (1d8+4 X3)
    or Shortbow ,Composite +7 (1d6+4 X3)
    Full Attack
    Lance +11 (1d8+4 X3)
    or Shortbow ,Composite +7 (1d6+4 X3) range 70
    Space 5ft.; Reach 5
    Special Attacks
    Banner (Ex) Allies within 60 ft +2 morale on fear saves and +1 morale on attack rolls in a charge. Additional bonus=
    Cavaliers Charge (Ex) +4 bonus on melee attack rolls on a charge while mounted and no penalty to AC
    Challenge (Ex) +1 damage per level against one foe (-2 AC against other foes). Per day = 2
    Lion Challenge Receives a dodge bonus to his AC against attacks made by the challenged. Bonus = 2
    Lions Call (Ex) As Standard Action allies in 60ft a comp bonus on fear saves equal to his CHA mod and a +1 bonus to attack
    Tactician (Ex) Standard action, grants teamwork feat within 30 feet last 3 rnds +1per 2 levels. Per day 2
    STATISTICS
    Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 11
    Base Attack 5 CMB 9 ; CMD 20
    Feats
    Mounted Combat: Negate hit on mount with ride check DC opponents attack roll, Ride-by Attack: When charging can carry on after the attack, Toughness: +3 Hit points or +1 per hit dice, Weapon Focus: +1 to attack rolls,
    Escape Route (Team): An ally who also has this feat provokes no attacks of opportunity for moving through squares adjacent to you or within your space.,
    Shield Wall (Team): +1 AC if buckler, light shield +2AC if heavy or tower
    Skills Bluff 4, Climb 1, Diplomacy 8, Handle Animal 6, Intimidate 0, Know Local 6, Know Nobility 4, Perception 4, Ride 8, Sense Motive 5, Swim -6
    Languages Common
    SPECIAL ABILITIES
    Expert Trainer (Ex) Bonus equal to 1/2 his level whenever uses Handle Animal on a mount.
    Mount (Ex) Gains a loyal steed, functions as a druid animal companion.
    Order (Ex) At 1st level, a cavalier must pledge himself to a specific order.
    MAGIC ITEMS
    Masterwork Full-plate, Heavy Wooden Shield, Potion of Cure serious wounds, Potion of Lesser restoration, Potion of Bless weapon, Masterwork Cold Iron Lance, Masterwork Longsword, Masterwork Heavy mace, masterwork dagger, Masterwork Mighty [+4] Shortbow ,Composite

And I created a few NPCs in anticipation of needing them at some point. Eldon Corromat, the young baron of Witchcross is the most recent and his statblock reflects how the PCs will encounter him in Chapter 2--1 level higher than their first meeting when he was a young, unblooded first level cavalier and with a couple drawbacks due to serious injuries or curses that he picked up fighting raids from the Red Hand's "Roadblock" forts.

Spoiler: Baron Eldon Corromat
    Show
    Baron Eldon Corromat of Witchcross: Cavalier level 2 (skill points 12) Lion
    (Order of the Lion )
    hp 22 (2d10+2+2), CR 1 XP 400,
    Init –1; Speed 20 AC 21, Touch 11, flat footed 20 ( Banded mail, +1 Shield, heavy wooden)
    (+1 Dex, +7 armour, +3 shield)
    Melee Base Attack 1 CMB 4; CMD 15, Single Attack(+1/+0) Lance +5 (1d8+3 X3) or Javelin +2 (1d6+3)
    Full Attack (+1/+0) Lance +5 (1d8+3 X3) or Javelin +2 (1d6+3) range 30; Space 5ft.; Reach 5
    SA , SQ Mount (Ex), Order (Ex), (Challenge 1 day +2 dmg, +1 AC vs target); Lion’s Call: +2 vs fear, +1 to hit for 2 rounds; Tactician 1/day (4 rounds)
    Fort +4, Ref +1, Will -1,
    Str 16, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 14
    Skills Bluff 6, Climb -4, Diplomacy 7, Handle Animal 7, Intimidate 6, Know Local 5, Know Nobility 1, Perception 1, Ride 6, Sense Motive +3, Swim -11 Feats: Mounted Combat, Ride-by Attack, Shield Wall (Team); Languages Common
    ITEMS: Potion of Cure moderate wounds -, Potion of Cure light wounds -, +1 Shield, heavy wooden, Masterwork Lance, masterwork cold iron longsword, mithral dagger, banded mail.
    Curses: Curse of Kulkor Zhul: ½ healing from all effects. –2 initiative from blow to the head.

Eldon took grave wounds in the attack on Witchcross including a blow from a giant’s club that broke his nose and left cheekbone and left him permanently slow to react and the curse of a dying priest of Tiamat which has left his healing abilities limited.
    Last edited by Elder_Basilisk; 2016-09-02 at 04:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1186

I've recently started a Pathfinder PbP campaign for Red Hand, not even done with the first round of combat. I've tried to run the campaign twice before for my RL group, but the first one resulted in them failing due to a combination almost no victory points outside of some of the "Kill X" ones and the second simply faded away due to life.
    But that aside, I'm looking forward to the PbP campaign, as all players I accepted are active and wrote up good characters.

My main question is leveling. I hate tracking exp, and often instead do leveling at set points. Does anyone have any opinions on when the party should be leveling?
    Currently Playing:
    -

17. - Top - End - #1187

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Chuckles View Post
    My main question is leveling. I hate tracking exp, and often instead do leveling at set points. Does anyone have any opinions on when the party should be leveling?
    Basically once per chapter. You may need to add an extra level in there somewhere depending on whether you started at level 5 or 6 and how optimised the group is. My group just (barely) finished the battle of Brindol and they are level 9s and 10s.

18. - Top - End - #1188

PaladinGuy

Thinking ahead a bit--my group secured the assistance of the Twistusk giants--what happens to the giants? In the adventure we know that they delay the horde by two days after the crossing of the bridge. Do you think there's a way they are likely to do that which doesn't result in Kharn, Abithriax, et al wiping them out?

I don't see the giants committing suicide just because the PCs asked them nicely and gave them back a tribal relic. So, what do you think happens? They wreck a few wagons in the baggage chain, Kharn and some elites chase them down and then they come to terms, and give up a hostage or two for their continued good behavior? (That would make for an interesting side mission later if it turns out there is extra time).

19. - Top - End - #1189

Quote Originally Posted by Elder_Basilisk View Post
    Thinking ahead a bit--my group secured the assistance of the Twistusk giants--what happens to the giants? In the adventure we know that they delay the horde by two days after the crossing of the bridge. Do you think there's a way they are likely to do that which doesn't result in Kharn, Abithriax, et al wiping them out?

I don't see the giants committing suicide just because the PCs asked them nicely and gave them back a tribal relic. So, what do you think happens? They wreck a few wagons in the baggage chain, Kharn and some elites chase them down and then they come to terms, and give up a hostage or two for their continued good behavior? (That would make for an interesting side mission later if it turns out there is extra time).
    I don't have any specific ideas but it should be something that the group knows about. As written, it doesn't look like the group would even hear about any contribution by the Twistusk. I didn't have to worry about it though, as my group killed the giant on sight.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I had the giants show up for the Battle of Brindol, since Old Warklegnaw was my group's favorite NPC of the entire adventure. Bringing them back for Chapter 5 could be interesting, though. They could serve as guides for the PCs as they make their way to the Fane.
    Last edited by Dravda; 2016-09-10 at 04:07 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1191

Quote Originally Posted by Dravda View Post
    I had the giants show up for the Battle of Brindol, since Old Warklegnaw was my group's favorite NPC of the entire adventure. Bringing them back for Chapter 5 could be interesting, though. They could serve as guides for the PCs as they make their way to the Fane.
    Ooh, I like that. Mind if I steal it?

I also turned the giants into a tribe of werewolves (one of the players expressed interest in making her new character a lycanthrope if her current character dies and I wanted to hint at it. Also I wanted to run with the wolf thing that the PCs started) and the players loved Warklegnaw too. A natural 20 on a diplomacy check also made Warklegnaw outright assist during the Skull Gorge Bridge fight, which turned out to be one of the best battles of the campaign so far!

Warklegnaw also gave the druid a bird skull (it's so smooth and smelly! Such a cool thing for a werewolf!) as a token of their friendship and symbol of their alliance. She now wears it around her neck.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ooh, I like that. Mind if I steal it?
    Go ahead, I'd love to hear how it goes! I mostly skipped over Part 5 myself: after the Battle of Brindol was over, I wanted to keep the attack on the Fane short and sweet.

23. - Top - End - #1193

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dravda View Post
    Sounds like an interesting idea. I think I might go with the: fought a couple patrols, snarled up the supply train, then came to terms with the Red Hand when Kharn, Ozzy, Abithriax, and a bunch of hill giants showed upon their doorstep thing. If the PCs rescue the giant hostage at the battle of Brindol (Bova in my campaign), then he will act as a guide in Chapter 5 and be an ally after the endgame.

24. - Top - End - #1194

So the party just fought and barely beat Varanthian last night. Honestly I don't think she needs that many changes unless you have a really overpowered party. All I did was make it so she can swallow whole on the same turn as a grapple and if she hadn't lost initiative I would have had a couple PC deaths on my hands. As it was by the time she died the rogue was in her gullet and at -8, and the warded was in her mouth and at single digits, and the only reason she wasn't also in Varanthian's gullet was a very timely Enlarge Person.

Of course the Hand now knows they're there and the session ended with the Orc warded screaming for Ulwai to, "Get her ass out here!" So next week should be interesting.

Also, here's a fun idea if anyone needs to introduce a new PC around the Thornwaste. Make them a prisoner of the hand! I needed this guest character to join right away, so what I did was have several extremely bored red hand operatives drag him about a half-mile out from the stone lion, stone shape an arena, and force him to fight a lion with nothing more than a crappy wooden sword for their amusement. That was a fun rescue sequence to do too.

Also also, the hobgoblins from the monster manual 5 are quite fun to add to the red hand rank and file!
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2016-09-18 at 10:16 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1195

So the party just fought and barely beat Varanthian last night. Honestly I don't think she needs that many changes unless you have a really overpowered party. All I did was make it so she can swallow whole on the same turn as a grapple and if she hadn't lost initiative I would have had a couple PC deaths on my hands. As it was by the time she died the rogue was in her gullet and at -8, and the warded was in her mouth and at single digits, and the only reason she wasn't also in Varanthian's gullet was a very timely Enlarge Person.
    Spoiler: Varanthian stuff
    Show
    That's a massive change; normally she takes two turns to swallow someone, which doubles the action economy advantage the party has and gives the party the chance to save the guy being swallowed (Freedom of Movement, Grease, etc. make it rather easy on these levels). Certainly, if you want to amp up the lethality, that's one good option. She's what is referred to as a "closet troll" (not related to actual trolls) - high damage high gimp chance creature that relies on jumping out of the closet and killing someone before the party can react. She lacks ranged options, isn't terribly fast (though fast enough) and has a clear, exploitable weakness (Magical Beast Will-save) albeit behind her spell resistance. She's quite similar to a Hydra, in fact. Certainly, her physical prowess is frightening particularly with the peculiar Behir-clause for Cleave + Swallow Whole. Even more so with your ruling; she could technically charge and swallow two creatures in a single turn.

However, it's a very swingy fight. She usually doesn't have many turns; if she ever misses her Bite, she might go down without a fight as her Claws outside Grapple do little and less. Her whole gameplan relies on landing the Bite, swallowing or raking +constricting someone and picking up the next target while at it. And if the teammates can ruin her grapple with one of their actions (such as Freedom of Movement, Polymorph, Benign Transposition or Grease), she becomes far less frightening. Also, Swallow Whole always has the intrinsic problem that if it swallows a natural weapon/light weapon user, it might just get cut up from the inside.

She does have the Spell Resistance of 19 which helps a lot but on these levels, it's possible for the party to access Assay Resistance or True Casting already. A number of generalist spells you'd want anyways exist that really ruin her day and on these levels you can expect the party to already be around level 7: Entangle (though arguable if it can be cast in the environment), Glitterdust, Pyrotechnics, Blinding Spittle, Web, Slow, Ice Storm, Ray of Exhaustion, Languor, Solid Fog, etc. And she lacks a proper damage reduction (DR/Magic is useless vs. PCs on these levels), and her AC is only average. If she trades attacks with a full party, she'll go down real quickly.

Her spell-likes are all worse than her Bite (since she lacks the "See in Darkness"-ability not being Baatezu, she only shoots herself in the foot with vision impairing spells) restricting her options further; Breath Weapon and Unholy Blight have some credence but generally not good enough. Indeed, I wager that's why they scaled the Encounter Level down to 8 even though by the template/creature traits she should be CR10. I personally prefer to run a Young Adult White Dragon in her stead. It brings the added layer of making it a burrower thus enabling the Dragon to do all sorts of nasty stuff in the Wastes should they fight there (I made the lair contain a hole in the ground she can use for burrowing), and of course has the normal Dragon physicals.

Short version: She can be formidable, yes, but unlike Dragons she's not rounded; she has one gameplan and if any part of that gameplan fails (inability to get to melee, inability to hit his chosen target with Bite be it due to miss chance, mirror images, high AC or active defenses, inability to grapple/swallow the target be it due to spells, feats or whatever) she goes from a highly lethal threat to a joke. This makes her very swingy, ranging from multiple character deaths to a speedbump. And she's a solo encounter with few defensive abilities so she runs the risk of getting mobbed really quickly, and lacks good escape options.

That said, glad to hear it was an engaging encounter for your party.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2016-09-18 at 11:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1196

Hm, in that case I might have misread the rules. Basically her action each turn was, like in the first few posts, "Bite, grapple, swallow whole, cleave to bite and grapple again." Either way it was definitely a fun fight!

Anyway given that the session ended with Kia telling Ulwai to, "Get her ass out here!" And Ulwai successfully falling down a thunderstorm, next session should be interesting. I have some general ideas but do you guys have any advice or suggestions?

ATHEDIA, AREALLYGREATAXE, AND CWATER, STAY OUT!!!

Spoiler: plans for Ulwai and next seasion
    Show
    Kia (a half-Orc reincarnated to an Orc, which is going to make this even more interesting) is going to try and convince Ulwai to switch sides. Ulwai is going to do the same to Kia. I've completely changed her character from someone devoted to Tiamat to someone who doesn't care about Tiamat. Instead she's a visionary, the leader of her tribe who joined the Hand because she realized this was the single greatest opportunity in her lifetime to unite all the infighting Plavaan (the collective term for the "evil races" in my setting) and turn them from a small and silly people prone to greed, barbarism, and cruelty, into a truly powerful people and a force to be reckoned with. Uniting the tribes has been her life's dream and goal, and Tiamat is just a tool to her.

She's still a Stormsinger bard because that's too cool to pass up, and she's still incredibly smart, smooth, charismatic, adaptable, and still a consummate liar with skill tanks moved to bluff. She is older now than in the module--I aged her up to the hobgoblin equivalent of her late thirties, which also made it so that she's Kia's childhood hero, just to raise the stakes in tomorrow's session even more--and she's not wearing that stupid standard sexy female garb anymore. She's also still neutral evil, because although she has a grand vision for her people and truly cares for them and wants them to become great, she doesn't care who she or they have to step on for to achieve that dream. So a little bit like Redcloak, in that regard.

Anyway, now that Kia's called her out and she knows the party is there, what should she do? The party is intending to return the phylactry to the Ghostlord. I'm thinking that the party fights their way through ghost lions and undead--but not Red Hand operatives--to her, where she calmly greets the party and offers parley. As part of this parley she's going to split Kia off from the party to speak to her privately, which will also nullify her Warder abilities, while pretty much all the Red Hand operatives will surround the party and have their weapons trained on them. From there, well, we'll see what happens. Oh, and I'll also probably throw that hobgoblin soul mage or whatever from monster manual 5 in there too.

What do you guys think of this? Do you have any suggestions or advice on what to do during the game tomorrow?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2016-09-23 at 02:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1197

Hm, in that case I might have misread the rules. Basically her action each turn was, like in the first few posts, "Bite, grapple, swallow whole, cleave to bite and grapple again." Either way it was definitely a fun fight!
    Yeah, at least 3.5 Behir has the following ability:
    "Improved Grab (Ex)

To use this ability, a behir must hit a creature of any size with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it it establishes a hold and can attempt to constrict the opponent or swallow the opponent in the following round."

Anyways, that's certainly one way to make her far more formidable; if she can bite and swallow in one turn, the party has to be able to roll Knowledge/guess (then again, it's a huge serpent so guessing isn't terribly hard) its tactic and ready actions to be able to stop her from grabbing the first target (which is very likely to result in the target getting grabbed and eaten and then cleaving into a second target).

Anyway given that the session ended with Kia telling Ulwai to, "Get her ass out here!" And Ulwai successfully falling down a thunderstorm, next session should be interesting. I have some general ideas but do you guys have any advice or suggestions?

ATHEDIA, AREALLYGREATAXE, AND CWATER, STAY OUT!!!

Spoiler: plans for Ulwai and next seasion
    Show
    Kia (a half-Orc reincarnated to an Orc, which is going to make this even more interesting) is going to try and convince Ulwai to switch sides. Ulwai is going to do the same to Kia. I've completely changed her character from someone devoted to Tiamat to someone who doesn't care about Tiamat. Instead she's a visionary, the leader of her tribe who joined the Hand because she realized this was the single greatest opportunity in her lifetime to unite all the infighting Plavaan (the collective term for the "evil races" in my setting) and turn them from a small and silly people prone to greed, barbarism, and cruelty, into a truly powerful people and a force to be reckoned with. Uniting the tribes has been her life's dream and goal, and Tiamat is just a tool to her.

She's still a Stormsinger bard because that's too cool to pass up, and she's still incredibly smart, smooth, charismatic, adaptable, and still a consummate liar with skill tanks moved to bluff. She is older now than in the module--I aged her up to the hobgoblin equivalent of her late thirties, which also made it so that she's Kia's childhood hero, just to raise the stakes in tomorrow's session even more--and she's not wearing that stupid standard sexy female garb anymore. She's also still neutral evil, because although she has a grand vision for her people and truly cares for them and wants them to become great, she doesn't care who she or they have to step on for to achieve that dream. So a little bit like Redcloak, in that regard.

Anyway, now that Kia's called her out and she knows the party is there, what should she do? The party is intending to return the phylactry to the Ghostlord. I'm thinking that the party fights their way through ghost lions and undead--but not Red Hand operatives--to her, where she calmly greets the party and offers parley. As part of this parley she's going to split Kia off from the party to speak to her privately, which will also nullify her Warder abilities, while pretty much all the Red Hand operatives will surround the party and have their weapons trained on them. From there, well, we'll see what happens. Oh, and I'll also probably throw that hobgoblin soul mage or whatever from monster manual 5 in there too.

What do you guys think of this? Do you have any suggestions or advice on what to do during the game tomorrow?
    Spoiler
    Show
    What is Ulwai going to convince Kia with? I think that should be something you spend some time thinking. I think Ulwai can afford to be honest and say as much: she has a honest agenda of wanting to unite the warring tribes and the whole of Plavaan and to create a real culture and power where none existed before. I think, given her abilities and nature as a Bard (is she still writing an opera?) she could play up the "wanting to give these savages a real culture and stop the senseless slaughter"-aspect, as well as the "build a sufficient powerbase to minimize the enemies who would willingly engage in open war" - peace through iron fist to promote years of prosperity.

Perhaps have her thank the party for releasing her from underneath the watchful eye and grasp of Varanthian, a loyal Horde-member (you could easily make the Doom Hand Monks and Clerics under her command to be loyal to her personally), and recommend that should the party assassinate Kharn, Ulwai could take over the Horde leadership and try and undermine Azarr Kul's hold and the cult of Tiamat within the Horde (of course, for real agriculture and settlements, her country needs lands better than the Wyrmsmoke Mountains and thus she still needs to conquer the vale). You could have her offer Kia a high place in her kingdom in exchange for Kia's help - and perhaps to write a song in the heroes' honor as they would be the power that freed the Plavaan of the clutches of Tiamat. Whether the party agrees to let Kia go alone is important. If they do, she needs to use something like Detect Magic to ensure that they aren't being eavesdropped on - she should want to speak free of both, the Horde and the party interference. Ulwai could try to Charm Kia too. Kia doesn't have Spellcraft and Ulwai should be able to guess that, right?

Now, the other alternative, the one where the party doesn't agree to let Kia go alone needs more preparation. If she has some magic items she could try to buy the chance by force; Wall or something. I assume it will be Kia's will to talk privately anyways.

28. - Top - End - #1198

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Yeah, at least 3.5 Behir has the following ability:
    "Improved Grab (Ex)

To use this ability, a behir must hit a creature of any size with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it it establishes a hold and can attempt to constrict the opponent or swallow the opponent in the following round."

Anyways, that's certainly one way to make her far more formidable; if she can bite and swallow in one turn, the party has to be able to roll Knowledge/guess (then again, it's a huge serpent so guessing isn't terribly hard) its tactic and ready actions to be able to stop her from grabbing the first target (which is very likely to result in the target getting grabbed and eaten and then cleaving into a second target).

Spoiler
    Show
    What is Ulwai going to convince Kia with? I think that should be something you spend some time thinking. I think Ulwai can afford to be honest and say as much: she has a honest agenda of wanting to unite the warring tribes and the whole of Plavaan and to create a real culture and power where none existed before. I think, given her abilities and nature as a Bard (is she still writing an opera?) she could play up the "wanting to give these savages a real culture and stop the senseless slaughter"-aspect, as well as the "build a sufficient powerbase to minimize the enemies who would willingly engage in open war" - peace through iron fist to promote years of prosperity.

Perhaps have her thank the party for releasing her from underneath the watchful eye and grasp of Varanthian, a loyal Horde-member (you could easily make the Doom Hand Monks and Clerics under her command to be loyal to her personally), and recommend that should the party assassinate Kharn, Ulwai could take over the Horde leadership and try and undermine Azarr Kul's hold and the cult of Tiamat within the Horde (of course, for real agriculture and settlements, her country needs lands better than the Wyrmsmoke Mountains and thus she still needs to conquer the vale). You could have her offer Kia a high place in her kingdom in exchange for Kia's help - and perhaps to write a song in the heroes' honor as they would be the power that freed the Plavaan of the clutches of Tiamat. Whether the party agrees to let Kia go alone is important. If they do, she needs to use something like Detect Magic to ensure that they aren't being eavesdropped on - she should want to speak free of both, the Horde and the party interference. Ulwai could try to Charm Kia too. Kia doesn't have Spellcraft and Ulwai should be able to guess that, right?

Now, the other alternative, the one where the party doesn't agree to let Kia go alone needs more preparation. If she has some magic items she could try to buy the chance by force; Wall or something. I assume it will be Kia's will to talk privately anyways.
    Spoiler: Ooh, thanks!
    Show
    Those are some really good idea! I was definitely going to have Ulwai be completely honest about her goals, ad I'm definitely going to do the peace through an iron fist line.

The opera is still there, but completely changed. These are the notes I have written for it, straight from my wod document of play notes. Note that in my world "Plavaan" is the collective term for "evil races" such as orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, and drow.

Spoiler: The revamped opera
    Show
    Act 1: Explores the lives of Ulwai, Azar Kull, and Kharn as they grow up, and uses their lens to show the infighting and tribalism of the Plavaan. You occasionally see moments of greatness and glimpses of potential, mostly when they work together and nearly all of them involving these three hobgoblins in some way, but the rest of the time they are a small and silly people, prone to greed, barbarism, and cruelty. It becomes rapidly clear that although the humanoids—especially the Astridians, and ESPECIALLY the Kagoans—are oppressing them and causing untold suffering, the greatest thing holding back the Plavaan are the Plavaan themselves. They are to be pitied.
    Ulwai, Azar Kull, and Kharn stand out as three voices of sanity amidst the rabble. Azar and Kharn are blood brothers (courageous, strong, the model hobgoblins), while Ulwai went it alone, fighting her way to the top of the clan. The first act ends in tragedy for Ulwai and mysterious hope for Azar and Kharn. A pointless raid killed Ulwai’s husband, leaving her to raise their twin children and lead their tribe alone. As she cradles his body and looks at the carnage of the battlefield which she herself barely survived she swears to make a world where such a waste of Plavaan life is nothing more than a bad memory. At the same time, Azar and Kharn fled into the mountains to escape an attempted coup and assassination, and come upon the Fane of Tiamat in the Wrymsmoke Mountains (though it isn’t explicitly named as such). It’s not clear what happens inside, but when the two hobgoblins re-emerge, they are changed men. The act closes with two swears. On one side of the stage is Ulwai at a massive funeral, swearing on her husband’s body and the bodies of all the other Plavaan of both tribes who died senselessly (and the fight was over a truly idiotic thing) that she will put an end to this. On the other side of the stage Azar and Kharn both swear to build a world for the Plavaan—all Plavaan—in Tiamat’s name, as she’s mentioned for the first time.

Act 2: Describes the buildup of the Red Hand forces. Ulwai is consolidating forces in her own tribe and area. She reads and studies history, culture, politics, etcetera until she becomes a true expert in such matters and is clearly the brains behind the operation. Meanwhile, Azar and Kharn are building the Red Hand army and consolidating tribes Genghis Khan-style. They are shown to be masterful military commanders, tacticians, and strategists. When the Hand and Ulwai’s tribe meet, she immediately pledges loyalty in exchange for being their right-hand woman. She realizes that this is the exact moment she’s been waiting for, the time to strike, the start of the glorious age of the Plavaan.
    Many, but not all, of the humanoids are shown to be corrupt, soft, weak-willed, and morally bankrupt—particularly the Kagoans, who are shown to follow a god based off of hatred and lies and an inability to let things go and move on. They are able to work with some human tribes and towns, but when Ulwai, Azar, and Kharn are betrayed but a Kagoan lord and nearly killed—in fact, they’re the only ones to make it out alive, and if Ulwai rolls up her sleeve the party can easily see the scar she still bears—they stop trying. The only way to win is through conquest. **** them.

Act 3: This is largely incomplete but details the conquest of the Vale and the triumph of the Plavaan.

Anyway, Ulwai herself has been retooled largely in accordance with the suggestions on the first page, but I kept some of her original abilities like bardic knowledge because they fit her character much better. I also gave her the Leadership feat for that reason even though it won't have much functional combat use; it just fits her character too well. Also my players aren't super-optimized. She is level 10 now with an extra level of Stormsinger and has Dimension Door as a panic button so she can flee if things look really bad. And she has a crapton of scrolls and a Cloak of Charisma +2.

I am so excited for tonight.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2016-09-24 at 04:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1199

Spoiler: Ooh, thanks!
    Show
    Those are some really good idea! I was definitely going to have Ulwai be completely honest about her goals, ad I'm definitely going to do the peace through an iron fist line.

The opera is still there, but completely changed. These are the notes I have written for it, straight from my wod document of play notes. Note that in my world "Plavaan" is the collective term for "evil races" such as orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, and drow.

Spoiler: The revamped opera
    Show
    Act 1: Explores the lives of Ulwai, Azar Kull, and Kharn as they grow up, and uses their lens to show the infighting and tribalism of the Plavaan. You occasionally see moments of greatness and glimpses of potential, mostly when they work together and nearly all of them involving these three hobgoblins in some way, but the rest of the time they are a small and silly people, prone to greed, barbarism, and cruelty. It becomes rapidly clear that although the humanoids—especially the Astridians, and ESPECIALLY the Kagoans—are oppressing them and causing untold suffering, the greatest thing holding back the Plavaan are the Plavaan themselves. They are to be pitied.
    Ulwai, Azar Kull, and Kharn stand out as three voices of sanity amidst the rabble. Azar and Kharn are blood brothers (courageous, strong, the model hobgoblins), while Ulwai went it alone, fighting her way to the top of the clan. The first act ends in tragedy for Ulwai and mysterious hope for Azar and Kharn. A pointless raid killed Ulwai’s husband, leaving her to raise their twin children and lead their tribe alone. As she cradles his body and looks at the carnage of the battlefield which she herself barely survived she swears to make a world where such a waste of Plavaan life is nothing more than a bad memory. At the same time, Azar and Kharn fled into the mountains to escape an attempted coup and assassination, and come upon the Fane of Tiamat in the Wrymsmoke Mountains (though it isn’t explicitly named as such). It’s not clear what happens inside, but when the two hobgoblins re-emerge, they are changed men. The act closes with two swears. On one side of the stage is Ulwai at a massive funeral, swearing on her husband’s body and the bodies of all the other Plavaan of both tribes who died senselessly (and the fight was over a truly idiotic thing) that she will put an end to this. On the other side of the stage Azar and Kharn both swear to build a world for the Plavaan—all Plavaan—in Tiamat’s name, as she’s mentioned for the first time.

Act 2: Describes the buildup of the Red Hand forces. Ulwai is consolidating forces in her own tribe and area. She reads and studies history, culture, politics, etcetera until she becomes a true expert in such matters and is clearly the brains behind the operation. Meanwhile, Azar and Kharn are building the Red Hand army and consolidating tribes Genghis Khan-style. They are shown to be masterful military commanders, tacticians, and strategists. When the Hand and Ulwai’s tribe meet, she immediately pledges loyalty in exchange for being their right-hand woman. She realizes that this is the exact moment she’s been waiting for, the time to strike, the start of the glorious age of the Plavaan.
    Many, but not all, of the humanoids are shown to be corrupt, soft, weak-willed, and morally bankrupt—particularly the Kagoans, who are shown to follow a god based off of hatred and lies and an inability to let things go and move on. They are able to work with some human tribes and towns, but when Ulwai, Azar, and Kharn are betrayed but a Kagoan lord and nearly killed—in fact, they’re the only ones to make it out alive, and if Ulwai rolls up her sleeve the party can easily see the scar she still bears—they stop trying. The only way to win is through conquest. **** them.

Act 3: This is largely incomplete but details the conquest of the Vale and the triumph of the Plavaan.

Anyway, Ulwai herself has been retooled largely in accordance with the suggestions on the first page, but I kept some of her original abilities like bardic knowledge because they fit her character much better. I also gave her the Leadership feat for that reason even though it won't have much functional combat use; it just fits her character too well. Also my players aren't super-optimized. She is level 10 now with an extra level of Stormsinger and has Dimension Door as a panic button so she can flee if things look really bad. And she has a crapton of scrolls and a Cloak of Charisma +2.

I am so excited for tonight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some mechanical ideas. With the extra level of Stormsinger, I recommend giving her the "Harmonize"-spell [Races of Stone], which allows her to use Bardic Music as Move Action. This enables her to in combat use Move Action to start a bardic music (such as Thunderstrike or Control Winds) while still casting spells with Standard Actions. Lasts for minutes per level so she can easily precast it before entering the parlay too. I also gave her Sirine's Grace [Spell Compendium] to improve her combat stats somewhat, though that's only rounds/level.

The idea is that the first round she casts something like Harmonize + Inspirational Boost + start Inspire Courage (lasts for 5 rounds, she doesn't concentrate at all) and follow that up with Sirine's Grace + Swift Invisibility/Greater Mirror Image/Lesser Celerity (if necessary) + Thunderstrike or Control Winds. As an extra cuteness, Lesser Celerity gives a move action which allows her to initiate a bardic music as an immediate action (though at the cost of being dazed for the next turn).

I also had her know False Theurgy and Conceal Spellcasting skilltricks [Complete Scoundrel] to enable her to covertly cast spells like Charm Person and Glibness.

My full stats for her were:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wyrmlord Ulwai Stormcaller
    NE Medium humanoid (goblinoid)
    Thunderborn Hobgoblin Bard 5/Stormsinger 5
    [Thunderborn Hobgoblin was just my lightning-themed homebrew Hobgoblin Dragonblood race - I made all the Wyrmlords Dragonblooded, though in this case it was crucial for Dragonfire Inspiration too]

+2 Initiative
    AC 18 (26 under Sirine's Grace) = 10 + 6 Armor + 2 Dex (+ 4 Dex + 6 Cha); 32 as Trogdolyte
    Touch 12, Flat-Footed 16
    HP 67.5 (10 HD)
    30' Movement; Sirine's Grace 60' Swim, Avariel 50' Fly (Average), Masabi 20' Burrow
    Saves: +8 (+14 SG & Myst) Fort, +11 Ref (+17 SG & Myst), +8 Will (+14 SG & Myst)
    Resistance to Electricity 5

10 Str, 14 Dex, 17 (+2 Enc) Con, 14 Int, 8 Wis, 18 Cha

+7 BAB/+7 Grapple
    +1 Harmonizing Feycraft Pandemonic Silver Shortsword +10/+5 1d4+0 (+16/+11 for 1d4+4+4d6 Electric) - DC 10/13/16/19/22/25/28 Will-save vs. 1d4 turn Cower within 30' (sonic, mind-affecting)
    [This is also one of my running themes for the Wyrmlords; all of them have a special weapon - Feycraft Light Weapon is one of the few easy ways to get Dex to Hit without spending feats - Pandemonic Silver [Complete Warrior] goes incredibly well with Ulwai's Stormsinger abilities]

Feats & ACFs:
    ACF. Lore Song (ACF)
    ACF. Spellbreaker Song (ACF)
    ACF. Healing Hymn (ACF)
    1. Magical Aptitude
    3. Storm Magic
    B. Song of the Heart (ACF)
    6. Dragonfire Inspiration
    9. Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment (Mysticism) [this allows her to get her Charisma-bonus on saves]

Abilities:
    3/Day Lore Song (+4 Insight to Attack/Check/Save, Immediate Action)

Bardic Music (10/day)
    Inspire Courage: +4 Morale to attack rolls, damage rolls and saves vs. fear/charm, infinite range, lasts 5 for rounds after performing
    Dragonfire Inspiration: +4d6 Electricity-damage, infinite range, lasts 5 for rounds after performing
    Spellbreaker Song: Concentration max. 3 rounds, 20% spell failure in 30'
    Healing Hymn: +13 Profane to all healing rolls, 5 rounds after performing
    Gust of Wind: CL 13 (15 in storm)
    Thunderstrike: +9 Ranged Touch (+11 SG, +15 Inspire + SG) 60' for 1d20+17 (+27 SG) damage (Reflex DC 19/21 Half), if fail, Fort same DC vs. Deafness
    Control Winds: CL 13/15, DC 19/21 to save, standard to Hurricane or Tornado-force winds, Concentration + 3 rounds

Skill Tricks (8 ranks):
    Conceal Spellcasting
    False Theurgy
    Swift Concentration
    Collector of Stories

Ranks (6 * 8 + 4 * 5 + 2 * 13 - 8 = 86):
    13 Perform (Sing)
    13 Concentration
    13 Use Magic Device
    6 Spellcraft
    8 Knowledge (the Planes)
    5 Knowledge (Arcana)
    1 Knowledge (Local)
    1 Knowledge (Nature)
    4 Knowledge (Geography)
    5 Tumble
    4 Diplomacy
    8 Sleight of Hand
    5 Bluff

Skills:
    +17 Perform (Sing)

+3 Balance
    +9 Bluff
    +16 Concentration
    +8 Diplomacy
    +10 Knowledge (the Planes)
    +7 Knowledge (Arcane)
    +6 Knowledge (Geography)
    +3 Knowledge (Local)
    +3 Knowledge (Nature)
    +9 Sleight of Hand
    +12 Spellcraft
    +6 Tumble
    +19 Use Magic Device (+23 for Scrolls)

Caster Level +10 (+11 in stormy weather)
    0. Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Songbird, Message, Read Magic, Ghost Sound
    1. Swift Invisibility, Improvisation, Inspirational Boost, Charm Person
    2. Lesser Celerity, Alter Self, Silence, Harmonize
    3. Dispel Magic (+2 Dispelling Cord), Confusion, Haste, Alter Fortune
    4. Sirine's Grace, Greater Mirror Image

Staff of Stormclouds (26 charges): 1/Fog Cloud, 2/Call Lightning, 4/Control Weather
    Dispelling Cord of Constitution +2
    Cloak of Resistance +2
    +1 Mithral Breastplate
    Anklet of Translocation
    Handy Haversack
    Badge of Valor
    Scroll of Dimension Door
    Scroll of Feather Fall

Plus some Contingent Spells. But that's 'cause I gave the feat to Azarr Kul and thus had all the Wyrmlords and high-ranking Horde members have some.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2016-09-24 at 05:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1200

That might honestly be a bit too much for this party. A couple of them have never played DnD before for one thing.

Here are Ulwai's stats for now.

Spoiler: Ulwai's Stats
    Show
    NE Hobgoblin Bard 5/Stormsinger 5
    Initiative +5, Speed 30 feet
    AC 22, Touch 15, FF 17
    HP=62 (10 HD, thinking about maxing it out to 80 HP because she's the boss)
    Str 10, Dex 20, COn 14, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 19
    Fort +4, Ref +14, Will +9

Melee: Masterwork Whip, Masterwork Longsword BaB +11
    Range: +1 Shocking Shortbow
    Items: Staff of Stormclouds,
    +1 Shocking Shortbow,
    Masterwork whip
    Masterwork longsword
    Gloves of Dex +4
    Cloak of Charisma +2
    +2 mithral breastplate
    Wand of Charm Person (13 charges left)
    Entangle Pebble from the MIC whose name I forget right now
    Scrolls of: Heroism x2, Slow, Web, Dominate Person, Mirror Image, Fear, Summon Monster 1 x3, Phantom Steed (for a quick getaway)

Spells:
    Level 4: Dimension Door, Shadow Conjuration
    Level 3: Glibness, Haste, Scrying, Dispel Magic
    Level 2: Cure Moderate Wounds, Invisibility, Glitterdust, Minor Image
    Level 1: Feather Fall, Lesser Confusion, Disguise Self, Comprehend Languages
    Level 0: Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Read Magic

Feats: Extend Spell, Magical Aptitude, Storm Magic, Leadership (fits her character perfectly)

Abilities: Bardic Knowledge +6 (Fits her character too well)
    Bardic Music 9/day: Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Competence, Inspire Courage +1, Gust of Wind, Thunderstrike, Control Winds
    Stormpower

Skills: Perform (sing) +15, Spellcraft +13, UMD +13, Diplomacy +11, Concentration +10, Knowledge (History) +9 (fits her character), Bluff +9, Move Silently +8, Knowledge (Arcana) +7, Intimidate +7, Survival +7

When I worked with Ulwai I was thinking that she didn't spend her whole life preparing for this one encounter with the party, so it makes sense that she'd have some non-optimal spell choices or whatever, since they were useful at other points in her life.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2016-09-24 at 05:44 PM.