New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Conquering the Fantasy Kitchen Sink - Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo!

Agreed. Conquering the SDM right now is the best and most obvious choice there is before moving on to Eientei and Hakugyokurou.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Orc in the Playground

Ha, I just noticed that on the first post detailing the file's unit info, Cirno's listed as both a member (though not pictured) and a prisoner (in the picture).

So we've got clones of The Strongest running around. Ahh science.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm very lazy with updating the pictures there. I probably won't update the character roster pictures until after the SDM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with breaking down Remilia's defenses and charisma and then move on to Eientei. Eirin won't be of any help for Kaguya after we conquer the SDM.

Also, why do I get the feeling that anyone who Tewi recruits will be like a useless bunny compared to our army?
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

5. - Top - End - #335
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    Also, why do I get the feeling that anyone who Tewi recruits will be like a useless bunny compared to our army?
    Guess who I got to go against when I fought Eientei? Well, Tewi apparently recruited Souichirou. Granted, it wasn't that bad since he was consistently in C range for a couple of my attackers, but not exactly a useless bunny.

Speaking of which, I wonder why Eientei doesn't get an army of Rabbit Defenders or something.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

According to the story, Eientei is supposed to have a lot of youkai rabbit servants. Though Tewi and Reisen are all you actually see....
    Last edited by PKF995; 2010-11-27 at 12:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337

Then again, the semi-canonical Inaba of the Moon, Inaba of the Earth showed that the other rabbits of Eientei were literal rabbits, not humanoid beings like Tewi and Reisen.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

8. - Top - End - #338
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    literal rabbits
    The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. That is all.

I really didn't need the quotes for that, but eh...

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Whether it's literal rabbits or humanoid rabbits, none of them are shown in this game despite being said to exist.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Banned

More canonical sources show them as looking and dressing fairly similar to Tewi, though. Except for IN, which also shows them as literal rabbits during stage 5.

11. - Top - End - #341

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 56

Spoiler
    Show
    For our first attack on the SDM Top Floor, we were greeted by a bunch of maids. I suppose that isn't a surprise.

The ones that can heal are really annoying, actually, but aside from that they aren't much of a threat. Sakuya is at a very high level and can usually put up some good numbers, although not nearly as much as boss Yuuka.

We only make one attack this time, since we want to guard against a counterattack on the top floor. Regardless, we are poised to attack the SDM Top Floor twice next turn and take it completely if necessary.

BGM: Tremors of Hostility

Remilia: Hmm, we're being quite badly overrun...Reimu's certainly doing better than I expected.

Remilia began talking to herself, from her favourite place to look at the sky. She paced left and right, seemingly restless.

Both Patchy and Sakuya have been defeated, so this place is all that remains...They will surely attack at full force. The situation has become serious. If I use my full power, I would surely win easily...But the possible consequences are unappetizing. In the worst case, we might be driven out of Gensokyo.

???: ............

If only I had someone strong enough to fight by my side, then things would become much more interesting.

Heh, I suppose one won't just fall into my lap. I suppose I will have to overwork Sakuya a little more. Hopefully she doesn't collapse.

......*flutter flutter*

......*sigh* Why are you bothering to hide yourself? I can see your wings.

Ehhh? Boo, I've been spotted.

A single silhouette emerged from behind Remilia. It was a young girl, similar in stature to Remilia, with wings emitting rainbow light. It was Remilia's younger sister, Flandre Scarlet.

Flandre: Boo, and I even made sure my butt was hidden too.

Even if I couldn't see you, that ominous aura you give off would've informed me of your presence. You still are unable to control it, I see.

That's mean and not true! If I try reaaaaally hard, I can kind of keep it under control, sorta.

That's no different. Anyway, what would you be doing here? Didn't I tell you not to wander around by yourself?

Ahh, you're always so cruel, sister. You've been having such fun parties every day, and you're not even leaving anything for me.

What in the world are you talking about?

You can't fool me, sister. I can hear all that loud popping and squeezing even from the underground.

...I can't say I was thinking about that. Or more accurately, I can't say I ever cared about that.

In that case, it's alright for me to join the party too, right?

No.

Ehhh? Why?

Because you won't listen to what I say. You'll just go off on a rampage, won't you?

Hmm, then what if I just go out and play without asking?

Then a very big punishment will be waiting for you. It'll be so bad, you won't even be able to lift a single finger after.

Ehhh~, I don't want that.

Then be a good girl and behave.

What about if I reaaaally do everything you say, sister?

Do you think I can believe that?

Hmph, don't treat me like an idiot! I'll really behave, I don't wanna be punished either.

(Hmm...She may not follow what I tell her, but who knows what she'll get up to if I leave her alone. I should at least keep her under my watch.)

C'mon, c'mon, it's okay, right? I'm reaaaally bored, you know...

...I suppose so. However, you must behave. If you do as you please, your punishment will be carried out immediately.

Yaaay! Thank you, sister! Just leave it to me, I'll squeeze and pop whatever you want!

From now on, doing that is banned.

Ehh, whyyy?

So you want to be punished after all?

Wahhh, okay okay. I'll just whack them normally.

...I'm getting the feeling that thins are about to get even more troublesome than ever...

Thus, Flandre Scarlet, the devil's little sister was added to the Scarlet Devil Mansion's front lines...It was a major boost for their warpower, but yet another headache for Remilia.

Flandre Scarlet has joined the Crimson SDM.

BGM: Moon Rabbit ~Bathed in Moonlight~

Flandre: La-lalala lala-la...Hmm hmm hmm la-la...

Flandre was skipping down a corridor, humming a tune to herself. She would normally stay in the basement, but she would occasionally try to sneak out to walk around...And this time, she was doing so openly.

Mm~, Sakuya would normally be hurrying me back to the basement around this time~. It feels so good to walk around without needing to hide!

Flandre was fully enjoying such a time...Of course, she wasn't being terribly aware of her surroundings.

Ohh, looks like you're doing a good job today!

Fairy Maid: Eek!? Ah...Uh...Wahhhh~!

Ah, wait!

This was one of several fairy maids that she had already encountered. All of them shook horribly when called, and refused to turn around to face Flandre. This particular fairy, after being called, flew into a panic and escaped from the area as fast as she possibly could.

What, I'm not scary! This is making me angry.

Flandre's happy mood began to worsen, creating a tense atmosphere around the place. The remaining fairy maids scattered around the area were trembling even harder in their boots.

Yeah, these fairies are no use. Sister will get mad if I go outside...I'll go and find Patchouli.

Flandre's mood brightened again as she skipped towards the library...Thankfully for the remaining fairy maids, Flandre did not hear their sigh of relief as she left.

Patchouli: ...My, young mistress. What are you doing here?

Umm, I was really bored, so I'm here to play. All the maids kept running away when I went to see them, so I came here.

...I suppose they are.

Patchouli was much less panicky than the fairies that preceded her, but her entire body was still tense, ready to act if anything unpalatable were to occur.

Ah, hey you! Play with me!

Koakuma: Ehhhhhh!? O-Ooh...

what should we play? Hmm, since this library is so big, let's play tag! I'll be "it" first!

Eeeek...I-I'm sorry!

Ahh, I didn't say you could go run already! Oh well, I'll chase after her in 10 seconds. One, two...

Young mistress, please stop.

Huh? Why?

...A library is not a place to make a ruckus. Please keep the atmosphere quiet.

Boo...okay, okay.

The poor Koakuma had managed to get away while Patchouli was convincing Flandre to be quiet. Flandre's dissatisfaction was getting more and more evident.

Then in return, will you...

*cough cough* ...My asthma is acting up a little today, so...

Fine, whatever! I'll go somewhere else!

Flandre's exclamation rattled the area as she sulkily stomped out of the library. Once her figure had completely went out of sight, Patchouli patted her chest in relief.

Young mistress...I'm sorry.

Everyone's so booooring! And this is one of the few times I can wander around freely too!

Flandre's irritation was beginning to emit a strange energy from her body. There weren't even any fairy maids who were brave enough to stick around anymore.

This is no fun! Sister won't play with me, and I don't wanna get punished...Maybe someone will come and attack the mansion...

Sakuya: Please don't say such reckless things, young mistress.

The voice that addressed Flandre from behind belonged to none other than Sakuya. The other maids had apparently told her of Flandre's presence.

Ah, Sakuya. But no one wants to play with me, I'm so bored.

Not anyone can be your playmate, you know. It needs to be someone equal to you.

I don't care about that, I just wanna play something...Hey, you can play with me, right?

No, I'm...

I've heard that so many times already! It's you after all, you'll be fine! Okay, here I go!

W-Wai...!

Flandre held out her hand, and a large mass of magical energy began to form at her palm. The mass then fired itself towards Sakuya. A thunderous roar sounded that shook the mansion. A gaping hole was left in the wall.

Huh...? Sakuya, where did you go? You weren't blown away by that, right?

Flandre called out to Sakuya, but there was no response. There were no traces of Sakuya anywhere around, either. Flandre could not sense anyone's presence. Only a deathly silence remained.

Huh? Are we playing hide and seek? But we haven't decided who's "it" yet...

Flandre's voice started to sound more and more worried as it trailed off. But there was still no reply.

...I'm sorry, I was bad...So please come back!

Do you really think so?

I'm not lying...S-Sakuya?!

Flandre hurriedly turned around to find Sakuya standing behind her, looking at her innocently. She wore the same calm and cool expression that she had from the beginning.

Boo, so you were fine after all. Don't scare me like that!

I would not call that "fine" at all. One misstep and my life might well have been forfeit. Do you wish to take my life?

I...I don't want to...

Young mistress...Your lack of control over your power to destroy things is distressing. Life is a very fragile thing. It can be extinguished in an instant. If you do not learn to control your power, you will find it very difficult to make friends.

But I have you, Sakuya.

I am but a mere human with a human's lifespan. What do you plan to do when I am gone? Please try your best to control yourself, for your sister...and for me.

Ooh...Alright. I'll be careful from now on.

Thank you very much. Shall we go back then? I have already prepared dinner.

Ah, it's dinnertime already? Okay!

Flandre's mood returned to normal as she happily walked off first. Typically, it should be the servant that leads the way, but as she was now, it was not safe for Sakuya to turn her back on Flandre.

Someday, people will be able to trust her with their backs. Would it be within Sakuya's lifetime? Only Remilia might have the answer to that.

Kaguya: Eirin, how has things been since?

Eirin: I have been doing well, thank you very much.

I'm not talking about your health. It's not like you can die anyway.

I have given Udonge and Tewi their instructions. They did not look very happy about it, though.

All those rabbits look the same to me. It's hard to tell who's who.

That would be because you only look at their ears. The only human-like rabbits we have are those two as well.

That's still too annoying to figure out. They're all Inabas to me. Anyway, if they weren't looking happy...I guess she's still thinking about...that, huh.

You were actually aware of it?

Ahh, don't tell me you were hoping I wasn't aware of things that are going on, and thought that this would be a good chance to launch a hostile takeover.

Absolutely not.

...You're rather curt today. Did something bad happen? Ahh, don't say anything. I shall try to guess what it is.

Kaguya smiled impishly as she pretended to think deeply. People who were not used to her would be quite frustrated at her enigmatic behavior, but Eirin was a special case, of course.

You're worried about...that Inaba, right?

Princess, they are both Inabas.

Ahh, how annoying, you know who I'm talking about...It's about Reisen.

Anyone else looking at Kaguya would just see a playful smile, but only Eiring noticed the light deep within her eyes.

...It is indeed as you say. Her behavior has been quite anxious lately.

Hmm, is she still thinking about that?

Most likely, yes.

...Are you even on the same page as I? Well, it doesn't matter. It'll be meaningless for us to help. It's something she'll have to resolve herself.

...I was not expecting such a proper opinion from you.

Just who do you think I am, mm? In any case, it's time for my afternoon nap. Good night~.

Kaguya moved deeper into the room for her nap. Eiring waited for Kaguya to close the sliding screen, then returned to her own room. Kaguya's words and Reisen's expression melded into a refrain as she walked.

...Hm, I suppose she's right. It's not a problem we should be handling, but still...perhaps I'll make some medicine for her to drink.

With Eirin's power at hand, she could surely make a medicine that would temporarily resolve the problem. But the two of them already knew that it would solve nothing in the long run.

Eientei attacks the Human Village yet again, but this time we were ready for them. Their levels are actually a bit worse than the SDM, and Reisen's own ability is more annoying than lethal. If only she could redirect attacks to her opponents, then she'd be far scarier.

BGM: Pranked!

Yuyuko: Youmu~, where are you Youmu~?

Youmu: Yes, I'm here!

You took seven seconds to respond to my call. That's much too slow, Youmu.

I'm sorry, I will aim for five seconds next time!

Make that three seconds. Then two more minutes after for food to be served.

Please leave the food to the people handling it...Anyway, what is the matter?

Ahh yes yes, I have an errand for you to run. Please hand this letter over to Reimu at the Hakurei Shrine.

Certainly. Then, I shall be off.

Take care~.

Youmu: ...Thus, I have come here to deliver a letter from Lady Yuyuko.

Marisa: What's written inside?

Reimu: I'm checking now. Hmm..."Dear Reimu, It has been a while since your last visit. I have been quite bored and lonely since."

Whoa there, is that the kind of relationship you two have?

Ehhhhhh~? Lady Yuyuko's...!?

Stop getting ahead of yourselves! Let me finish this..."So, since I'm bored waiting, I shall be the one intruding on you. Do as you wish with Youmu."

N-No way!? Has Lady Yuyuko deemed me surplus to requirements!?

So, uh, what? We should just think of that as a declaration of war, I s'pose?

...I guess so.

That's too much, Lady Yuyuko, what have I done wro...Well, i have done lots of things wrong, but this treatment is too much~!

...Now then, what shall we do with you?

A good way to confirm hostilities has gotta be killin' the messenger!

Why are you both looking at me...A-And I am deep in the heart of enemy territory myself...Uwaaaah! Lady Yuyukooo!

...And off she goes. Guess we went a bit too far.

Oh? I was serious the whole time.

...I'm REALLY glad I'm on your side.

Youmu: Lady Yuyuko, even for you, that was far too mean!

Yuyuko: My, youmu, you're not fit to be my bodyguard if you can't break through the enemy base alone. Since you're alive. I suppose we can call it a success.

...*sob sob*

"Hakugyokurou Hades" - War has been declared.

Turn: 56
    Ouki: 15130
    Ryumaku: 65/107
    Actions Available: 3

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Night-Blind Road
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 33 RES

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
    Defense: 190/190
    Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Muenzuka
    Defense: 215/215
    Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Human Village
    Defense: 230/310

Garden of the Sun
    Cost to Develop: 18

Nameless Hill
    Defense: 205/205
    Cost to Develop: 6

Misty Lake
    Defense: 225/225

SDM Gate
    Defense: 230/230

Great Library
    Defense: 195/195
    Cost to Develop: 12

Clock Tower
    Cost to Develop: 9

Enemy Territories:

Lost Bamboo Forest
    Army: Eientei Forest
    General: Reisen Udongein Inaba

Eientei
    General: Kaguya Houraisan (leader)

Blossoms Barrier
    Army: Hakugyokurou Hades
    General: Prismriver Sisters
    Defense: 220/220

Hakugyokurou Stairs
    General: Youmu Konpaku
    Defense: 200/200

Hakugyokurou
    General: Yuyuko Saigyouji (leader)
    Defense: 235/235

SDM Top Floor
    Army: Crimson SDM
    General: Remilia Scarlet (leader)
    Defense: 125/225

Yakumo Residence
    Army: Yakumo Clan
    General: Yukari Yakumo (leader)
    Defense: 310/310

Special Events:

War Declaration: Yakumo Clan
    Costs 10 NEG to declare war.

Well, looks like our questions about the rabbits of Eientei were answered.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-11-27 at 11:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Firbolg in the Playground

Finish off SDM next turn, the go get Mokou!

Also, Mokou would make a decent playmate for Flandre until she can learn to control herself.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Finish off SDM next turn, the go get Mokou!

Also, Mokou would make a decent playmate for Flandre until she can learn to control herself.
    I'm not sure why Flandre doesn't just go blow up an immortal a few times until she learns not to.

But yes, finish them off (they're the bigger threat). After that, Eientei, mostly so Memnarch doesn't lynch me. Hakugyokurou is the bigger threat, but eh.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-11-27 at 11:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

14. - Top - End - #344
    Banned

I support going for Eientei next. We need to pick up Mokou, both because she's awesome in this game and because we need her to make Keine happy.

Also i must admit that i don't like this version of Yuyuko too much, she's way too cruel to Youmu even compared to normal. Poor gardener.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Orc in the Playground

If you're aiming to get Reisen, then we could start the chain of events and then back off until enough turns have passed for said events to happen. That might require save scumming of a sort to determine on what turn the event will happen, but eh, I got nothing else.

Speaking of said events, does anyone know exactly what you have to do before Reisen deserts? I think I did it wrong, since I waited for about 10-15 turns just to be sure before finally proceeding with takeovers (the event happened as expected), but does it really take that long? Can you just immediately take the territory after the first event, or do you actually have to wait a bit?

In any case, I like the characters in both games (slightly more bias for PCB though), so I don't care which one gets targeted first. Although, I'd go after whichever team has the higher Power rating, but that's just me.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    I'm not sure why Flandre doesn't just go blow up an immortal a few times until she learns not to.

But yes, finish them off (they're the bigger threat). After that, Eientei, mostly so Memnarch doesn't lynch me. Hakugyokurou is the bigger threat, but eh.
    In Shino's Mistress' Home Party Epic Battle, Flandre killed Mokou fifty times, and then killed Kaguya at least three times after Mokou decided to play "who can beat Kaguya the fastest", so I'm not that sure if a few thousand times would be enough.

I also suggest going for Eientei because Mokou might help us with Hakugyokurou.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2010-11-28 at 12:29 AM.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

17. - Top - End - #347

I found Mokou's ability to be very handy in taking down the last boss in particular.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Mokou's ability seems to activate more often than not. She's a great party member in my opinion, so yeah, Eientei is next up after we finish the SDM. I find that Eirin and Kaguya are worth using as well.

Speaking of Hakugyokurou, is Youmu and Yuyuko any good? I've always found them to be disappointing. Youmu's special is nice, but I don't like her stats.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd say we go grab Mokou before going after Hakugyokurou (finish SDM first, of course). Reisen's event chain requires time, right? So we can just let Kaguya stew in her home whilst we go tackle Yuyuko's forces.

Youmu suffers a bit from overspecialization and lackluster stats.
    Comparable to a glass sniper: excellent for taking out melee-vulnerable targets, sort of so-so otherwise and very fragile. Youmu/Yuyuko is a mixed blessing as Youmu checks for both buffs AND debuffs, so it might be amazing, might be crippling.
    Better than a generic tends to be but not overwhelmingly so IMO.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I don't think Reisen really requires time to activate, and if so not much. When I got her, all I had to do was enter a battle against her with Eiki and continue to blitz through Eientei at a rate of two attacks per turn. She still ended up joining with time to spare.

21. - Top - End - #351

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 57

Spoiler
    Show
    Here we are. The final act of the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Cue awesome music.

BGM: Septette for the Dead Princess ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

Flandre likes to start off fights with Eye of Materiality, which either lowers the target's defenses, or just OHKO's the target entirely. Thankfully, I had good luck with that attack all day long, and managed to avoid any OHKOs.

Remilia and Flandre are both glass cannons, with Flandre even more powerful yet fragile than her sister. They can put up some incredible numbers, but also tend to fall quickly as well. Their reliance on melee attacks meant that Medicine's ability tends to get more use, although she barely managed to survive the battle in the end.

After trading lots of huge numbers, we manage to pull out two solid wins against the SDM.

Remilia: Ahh, how could this be...!

Flandre: It huuuurts!

Remilia and Flandre, the two fearsomely strong vampires wrought the battlefield with their power and ferocity, but were eventually defeated in a hard-fought battle. Reimu stood before them triumphantly.

Reimu: Geez, that took a whole lot longer than I'd have liked. But that puts the final nail in the coffin!

Marisa: Absolutely. Vampires are all kinds of broken. Speakin' as a human, you two oughta be against the rules.

Hehe...Ehehehehe...Did you think you'd win that easily...?

Wha!? You still wanna go at it!?

Hehehehehehe...!!

Ugh, they just don't give up!

Flandre stood up once again, an eerie smile creeping upon her face. Reimu and Marisa hurriedly prepared for another hard battle...but all of a sudden, the evil intent disappeared from her.

......?

...Geez, don't frighten us like that. There's no way you could have that much power remaining.

...Yeah, I can't stand anymore.

Flandre then fell to the floor at a sitting position, completely exhausted. At the same time, someone was running at the group from behind.

Sakuya: Ahhhhhh, Milady! Please forgive me, this worthless maid has put you through such hardship...Oooh...

Indeed, humans are so useless.

Milady, at times like these, you should follow the pattern with a line like "No, you did well" or something similar.

I'm bad with patterns.

Uh, hi?

Ah, you're here too? What do you want?

Don't play dumb. Anyways, you vampires are defeated, so now it's time for the ending...Why ain't this castle breakin' to pieces?

Unfortunately for you, you're not a vampire hunter, so the mansion shall remain intact.

Tch, I need'ta train more.

In that case, the Scarlet Devil Mansion and you all now belong to me. If you have any final words, I'll hear them.

Wah, so proud.

Reimu, I appreciate your feelings...But I feel we should experience many more things together first before we reach that stage.

...What are you talking about.

...You're prospering to me, aren't you?

Milady, that's "proposing".

Whoa! Congratulations!

And so, they lived happily ever after.

Shut UP!! Stop purposely taking my words the wrong way! You are all FINISHED! And you better do what I say, OR ELSE! That is ALL!

......Ooh, scary. She's gotta learn to keep control of herself a li'l more.

Perhaps she's the one who needs more training.

So will you take her name, or will she take yours?

...Who knows.

"Scarlet SDM" has fallen.
    Remilia Scarlet has been taken prisoner.
    Flandre Scarlet has been taken prisoner.
    Sakuya Izayoi has been taken prisoner.
    Patchouli Knowledge has been taken prisoner.
    Hong Meiling has been taken prisoner.
    Koakuma has been taken prisoner.

The day brought a strange sight: Kaguya was sitting upright at a desk, with a writing brush in hand. She was elegantly drawing black strokes on the white calligraphy paper without even a hint of hesitation.

Eirin: My, it's rare to see you partake in calligraphy.

Kaguya: A high-class woman would naturally have a taste for learning how to draw beautiful letters.

...You've learnt quite a bit about the customs here, haven't you? You never did such things on the moon.

I have been living here for a much longer time, after all. How does it go again? "One Bad Apple..."? Anyway, I've completely forgotten about life over there.

Kaguya spoke about her previous home indifferently. They had a chance to return to the lunar capital before, but they had decided to stay of their own will, and thought no further about it.

It would be quite troubling if you had done calligraphy before and forgotten all about it.

It's fine. I have plenty of time to waste anyway. How about you? Do you know how to do calligraphy?

Perhaps a demonstration is in order.

Eirin received the brush from Kaguya, and sat at the desk in her place. Eirin's hand flew freely and skillfully across the paper, just like Kaguya's had been.

My, you're quite good.

I use a writing brush daily, so I would become good even if I did not want to. Though the one I use is thinner, admittedly.

I see, I suppose that's true. Disorderly calligraphy signifies a disorderly mind...So you're extremely sound-of-mind. How wonderful.

You're embarassing me, princess.

Speaking of which, the not-so-sound ones are late.

Did you require them for something?

Hm, yes, sort of...Perhaps if I laid a rabbit trap...

Just as Kaguya finished speaking, Reisen and Tewi entered the room. Both of them bowed slightly to their master when they saw that she was present as well.

Reisen: Excuse me, Princess. Did you call for us?

You came at a good time, Inaba and Inaba. Take a look at this.

Princess, we're not sure whether you mean Tewi or I.

It doesn't matter, just look.

Kaguya opened the calligraphy paper with both hands, showing it off to Reisen and Tewi. The words "Kaguya Houraisan" were elegantly written on it.

Tewi: Wow, it's really good!

Yes, it looks very impressive...But what does this have to do with us?

You were moved by it, mm? Beautiful calligraphy such as this should well be called an art by now. After all, it moves people just like other true forms of art.

...*sigh*

Reisen felt a little giddy at the possibility that they were called here for this matter only. She tried to lean on Tewi for support, but she stepped away slightly and caused Reisen to fall down.

You should be more careful~.

Why you...!

Now now, this obviously isn't all I called you two here for. Come over here, both of you.

Yes?

This one's for you, Inaba...And Inaba, this one is yours. There, perfect.

The two rabbits looked down at their chest to see a tiny piece of calligraphy paper stuck there. The paper held Reisen's and Tewi's names, which Kaguya had apparently drawn.

...Um, what is this?

It's a name tag for you two, of course. Now I can call you by your name, Reisen.

My, what's wrong? Are you so touched that you cannot even speak?

...The fact that you still haven't memorized my name makes me emotional in a different way. So emotional that I want to cry. And I've been here for so long...

...Yes, you have been here for a very long time.

...Princess...?

Reisen thought that she saw Kaguya's expression change for a second, but it was so quick that she couldn't be sure.

Anyway, I took the time to write out your names, so take care of it, mm? You two can leave now, thank you for your hard work.

*sigh*...I still don't really know what's going on, but please excuse us.

Thank you very much, I'll treasure it for life~!

The still-confused Reisen and the seemingly-happy Tewi left the room at Kaguya's urging. With just Kaguya and Eirin remaining, silence fell upon the room again...Until Eirin broke it.

...Princess, you actually think about things quite a bit, huh?

Don't act as if I'm dumb. Anyway, let's leave our nosiness at that. I'll be taking a nap~.

Kaguya finished what she wanted to say, then left to her room for her afternoon nap. Reisen had been depressed for a while now...And Kaguya was clearly worried for her.

Boo...another attack by Eientei on the Human Village drops our defense to 150, since we once again have no one available to defend it.

The figure of a fiary could be seen in the distant sky. It was the fairy who announced the coming of spring, Lily White. Spring had long since passed, so what she was doing here was unknown.

Lily: Spring~, spring~...Hm? What's that?

She was apparently drifting aimlessly among the clouds, when she heard a mysterious sound. It was a sound that felt quiet, yet noisy at the same time. The dissonance drew her attention.

It's weird, but it sounds like spring~!

Now attracted by the sound, Lily began to wobble her way towards its direction. The clouds obstructed her view, but she quickly came across three figures playing instruments.

Lyrica: ...Ah, your half-tone was off just now, sister.

Merlin: Ehh, mine? No way~!

It's true. You always get caught up in the performance and slip up every so often.

Well, it's fine, that's the best thing about live performances! A perfect performance wouldn't be one that's alive!

Lunasa: We're poltergeists, though. We're not alive.

You're making things moody again, sister...Hm?

The three sisters stopped their performance and began talking amongst themselves over a mistake that normal people would not have picked up on. Lily White had been constantly watching them.

My, we have a guest? It's quite unusual for one to appear in a place like this.

I feel like I've seen her before.

Sister, that's the fairy that heralds spring. We saw her during that really long winter. She was firing danmaku randomly then though.

oh yeah, that was really bad~! Wait, what's a spring-heralding fairy doing here when it's not spring?

Who knows? She won't hinder us anyway, so we might as well let her stay.

Why's she staring at us so hard though?

Lily White's gaze moved to each of the three instruments in turn. Merlin noticed the movement of her eyes, and snapped her fingers.

Maybe she came here because our performance attracted her? The fun, happy and lucky Poltergeists Live could be just like a flower field in spring~.

The only field of flowers is in your head, sister.

If that is the case, then shall we let her listen to a special tune?

They began another session at Lunasa's signal. Lily White happily swayed back and forth to the illusionary melodies that resounded through the sky. As soon as the performance ended, Lily White smiled and clapped.

Wahhh~! So amazing! The music was so mysterious, it was like spring, yet somehow not!

Ooh, so you know that our sounds are an expression of the seasons, huh? Not bad!

Sister Lunasa's sounds give the feeling of autumn or winter, so it goes well with sister Merlin's sounds too.

And what's your role, Lyrica? ...Anyway, thank you for the quiet and undivided attention.

Lunasa went to shake Lily White's hand...As they did so, the girl who was so energetic just a second ago was rapidly losing her vitality.

Aww...S-Spring...

H-Hey, what's wrong?

Lunasa let go of her hand in a panic, and the color suddenly returned to Lily White's face.

Huuuh~?

Hmmm~...Heya!

Wah!

Merlin went up to Lily White and gave her a hug. As she did so, Lily White's expression began to grow even brighter.

Spring~, it feels like spring~!

Merlin let Lily White go, and she seemed to return to relative normalcy.

Huuuh~?

My turn!

Lyrica held Lily White around the waiste tightly. But if there was any change, it wasn't noticable.

Huh? What're you doing?

Hey! Why am I the only one who doesn't get any reaction!?

Another hug.

Uweeh~...

Now me!

Yet another hug.

Ahahaha, it's spring, spring, spring~!

Why you...!

And one more hug.

Huh? I-It hurts!

Ahaha, she's so funny!

Why don't you react to me~!

...I see, this really is quite amusing.

Sister, should we invite her to join us?

Invite her to that? But she's a fairy, right? Can she really fight?

She sure knows how to spread danmaku around, so it should e fine, I guess? Hey, do you want to play with us? It's not spring, so you have time, right?

Ehh, but...I don't know...

*hug*

Yeah, let's play~! I'll sned lots of spring bullets to everyone~!

Alright, let's beat them up with spring!

...My my.

And that was how the out-of-season spring-heralding fairy Lily White was half-forced to join the battle.

Lily White has joined Hakugyokurou Hades.

The usually noisy Yakumo residence was undergoing a period of calm that hadn't been seen in a long time. Yukari had been very active, but she was taking a nap now, and Ran took the opportunity to wash some clothes.

Ran: It's always best to wash when the weather is good. Lady Yukari's futon needs to be aired soon too...The next time she's out, perhaps. Really, Lady Yukari's only enthusiastic when she's plotting something like now. It's fine if it's not a bother to anyone...But that's what it has been.

Ran sighed lightly as she spread out a white sheet. She then started to look around, preparing herself for impact, but the usual parasol strikes never came. Yukari really was in a sound sleep.

Whew...I can't even relax when she's sleeping. It's really troublesome. Well, I should enjoy this silence while it lasts.

It was indeed silent, with only the rustling of leaves and the cry of the cicadas to provide ambiance. The gentle wind also kept the area pleasantly cooling. It was truly a calm, relaxing time.

...Alright, that should do it. There doesn't look to be any rain either, so they should dry out before the sun sets.

Several freshly-washed clothes and sheets hung before her eyes...Then, an intruder brought the tranquil atmosphere to a halting end.

???: Lady Ran!

Ohhhh!?

A figure tackled her from behind the clothes hung to dry, knocking her off balance and onto the floor. She was ready to assume a defensive posture, but a good look quickly revealed the culprit to her.

Chen: It's been a long time, Lady Ran! I came flying over as soon as you called!

Oh, it's you, Chen. It was correct of you to answer my call as quickly as possible...But perhaps you can be less emphatic about it next time.

Ah, I'm sorry! I'll get up now...

Oomph!?

Chen didn't realize that Ran was looking at her from above, and landed a clean hit on her chin as she stood. Ran staggered backwards a few steps, but managed to keep her balance just before it could get dangerous.

Agh...Ugh...T-This is...!

Wah, Lady Ran! You're amazing!

Haah...*cough* Ch-Chen, as I said before, you need to be more aware of your surroundings.

Yes, I'm sorry...Owww.

Ah, Chen!? Why is your hand bleeding!? Who did that to you!?

Wah, Lady Ran, be careful...!

Uwaaaaah!?

Ran had pulled Chen's hand towards her in her haste to examine the scratch, but ended up using so much force that Chen flew at her and knocked her down again. They ended up on the floor, with Chen on top of her.

Wahhh!? Lady Ran, are you okay!?

Ouuuch...I-I'm fine, so please get up...Guuuh!

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry, don't die Lady Ran!!

Agh...Y-You're strangling me...

...Ehh? Ahh, I-I'm sorry!!

Chen finally got the hint from Rans' fists beating on her back, and she hurriedly let go of Ran's neck. She coughed violently as she sat up, looking around and confirming that the clothes somehow were unscathed.

Whew, at least the clothes are fine...

I'm so sorry~!

It's good to be enthusiastic, but you need to learn to be more careful. Anyway, what happened to your hand?

Well, um...The cat that you used to send me the letter scratched me.

...I'm sorry. It's deplorable that a cat would scratch a fellow ghost cat, though.

Those kids wouldn't listen to what I tell them, no matter how hard I tried! Maybe I need more catnip? Ahh, that's right! Why did you call me so suddenly, Lady Ran? There wasn't anything written in the letter, so I'm still not really sure.

Ahh, Lady Yukari told me to call you...There will be people coming to attack this place soon, so we'll need to welcome them appropriately.

Huh, so fearless people really do exist. Too bad for them, though! With lady Ran around, we're invincible!

You need to do your best too.

Okay~!

Chen obediently nodded. It was because she was so obedient that Ran often tried not to scold her and pampered her too much. Yukari tried to point that out, but Ran still hadn't really changed that part of her.

First of all, we'll make you nice and clean with a bath.

Ehh!? I hate water!

You should learn to endure this at least. If you look as dirty as this, who knows what Lady Yukari would say when she sees you...

???: Mm, did I hear something~?

Ehh? Oww!

A gap suddenly appeared above Ran's head, and a familiar parasol started to strike Ran on the head repeatedly.

Yukari: Ran, as an owner of a shikigami, you need to teach her about personal appearance. Just like I taught you, hmm?

Owww! G-Good morning, Lady Yukari...I'm readying the bath for her now~!

Lady Ran~...

Ran was not only being shameful as the master of a shikigami, but was showing that shame in front of her own master. Chen was used to such scenes and din't think much about it besides feeling pity for Ran.

...Things will soon get busy here. Hopefully that girl has...changed a little since. ...Hehe, this shall be fun.

A tiny smile grew on her face.

Turn: 57
    Ouki: 15019
    Ryumaku: 66/111
    Actions Available: 3

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
    Defense: 190/190

Muenzuka
    Defense: 215/215
    Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Human Village
    Defense: 150/310

Garden of the Sun
    Cost to Develop: 21

Nameless Hill

Misty Lake

SDM Gate

Great Library
    Defense: 195/195
    Cost to Develop: 12

Clock Tower

SDM Top Floor

Enemy Territories:

Lost Bamboo Forest
    General: Reisen Udongein Inaba

Eientei
    General: Kaguya Houraisan (leader)

Blossoms Barrier
    General: Prismriver Sisters
    Defense: 220/220

Hakugyokurou Stairs
    General: Youmu Konpaku
    Defense: 200/200

Hakugyokurou
    General: Yuyuko Saigyouji (leader)
    Defense: 235/235

Yakumo Residence
    Army: Yakumo Clan
    General: Yukari Yakumo (leader)
    Defense: 310/310

Special Events:

War Declaration: Yakumo Clan
    Costs 10 NEG to declare war.

Prisoners:

The SDM cast are awesome, but who shall we recruit? And since we only have 4 more open slots left in our party...who shall we drop if we want more than 4 new characters?

Also, lots of new items are available now at the store.

So...Who's the game's biggest woobie? Reisen? Letty? Flandre? Medicine? Or someone who hasn't shown up yet?
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-12-01 at 08:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352

I would say give Aku, Akyu, and Rosedia the boot. Maybe use them for recruiting this turn to fill the 4 spots, then toss'em next turn when we attack Eientei.

As for who to recruit, I vote for Sakuya, Remilia, and Meiling.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I vote we drop Akyu and some generics as well.

I also suggest we recruit Remilia, Sakuya, Patchouli, Meiling, and Koakuma. Flandre's one of my favorite characters...but I just hate her in this game. Her powerful melee and speed scores don't really make up for the bad everything-else, and I don't like her special. Koakuma looks even less appealing at first glance when it comes to combat, but Cute Trickster is pretty good.
    Last edited by PKF995; 2010-11-29 at 02:26 AM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Barbarian in the Playground

SDM would make for a good additional assault team consideringhow they'll probably trigger a lot of buffs between themselves. I'd advocate dropping Flandre and recruiting the rest, as whilst being a glass cannon can work she is more like a glass sword. Anything we'd like her to hit will smash her back pretty bad. She also lacks any use out of battle.

As making room goes, Ayu and Sou are the only generics that can justify their place on the roster with Res:6, everyone else is ultimately replaceable. Especially given how the majority of them are becoming more and more outclassed by the opposition.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground

So will you take her name, or will she take yours?

...Who knows.
    Hmm... I'd say Reimu Scarlet sounds better than Remilia Hakurei. [/completely missing the point]

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Silly Marisa, this isn't Castlevania.
    As for who to recruit, I suggest Remilia, Patchoulim, Sakuya, and Meiling.
    Also I think the biggest woobie here so far is Reisen, because she's just a confused useless bunny.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Banned

Yeah, i'd say Reisen is the greatest woobie. Although i do feel quite sorry for Ran. Between Chen's hyperactivity and thoughtlessness and Yukari's animal abuse, it can't be fun to be the fox.

Also grab them all and get rid of generics to make space for them. Although i agree that Flan tends to go down too quickly, she'll still be better than the generics.

28. - Top - End - #358

I'm taking another break for a few days, due to interviews/coming down with a cold. Hope to be back and updating by Thursday or Friday.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Orc in the Playground

For our generic drop list/order, I propose that we get rid of just Mayu and Souun for now, since that'd open up the necessary 2 slots. Drop Fumi Doll, Sousuke, and Rosedia if needed, and hold on to Souichirou and Ayu. And of course, recruit everyone we just captured from the SDM. Even if Flan's a glass cannon, at least she's better than most generics.

Speaking of which, I don't see what's wrong with Flandre. I used her a lot in my run, increasing her RNG to 8 (affection) for effective attacks from both spectrums and giving her a Natural Barrier for more survivability, and things went very well. The fact that she could one-shot some units was a great help for me as well, and it felt like counter damage didn't diminish her damage output much at all. Positioning is really all that determines how likely she is to die, and if we can work around that she's a powerhouse.

I feel pretty sorry for Ran in this game too. It seems like every cutscene you see with Ran has her being smacked by Yukari's parasol, and this one even has additional physical, almost slapstick, comedy.

Finally, random nitpick, but one of Lily's lines is purple (and labeled W:) for some reason.

Edit: Other finally, good luck with interviews and/or dealing with sickness Mirrinus.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-11-29 at 03:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Banned

And on that note. If you can keep Patchy out of melee she'll be extremely powerful and useful. I pretty much used her in every successful battle during the endgame.