New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Conquering the Fantasy Kitchen Sink - Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo!

Quote Originally Posted by PKF995 View Post
    Well, if we're only getting two of them I would wish to drop Medicine and Yuuka...or maybe Medicine and Alice first of all.
    Just curious, but why would you drop them? I personally found all 3 of them to be useful in my runthroughs of the game, and there's still several (worse) generics that can be replaced first.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I know, I support firing generics in order to recruit them. And while the aforementioned characters are pretty good, I prefer the Lunarians more to them. It may also be because I use Alice way, way too much. I'm not saying to fire the aformentioned characters, just to take them off the combat party.
    Last edited by PKF995; 2010-12-09 at 04:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd drop generics first and foremost in favor of the others. But if we run out of generics to drop, then I'd say start dropping the lowest levels in the army.

And even then I'd be against dropping them unless they're just characters that are just there and don't really contribute much.
    Last edited by Eliirae; 2010-12-09 at 09:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Bugbear in the Playground

No update today because I'm too busy marathoning Bakemonogatari.

Yeah, I know. I'm lame. Sorry. As consolation, here's Suwako in Renai Circulation, the OP for Sengoku Nadeko's arc. Hey, does that mean this post was on-topic?
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-12-10 at 04:35 AM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

5. - Top - End - #455
    Pixie in the Playground

where you can download the game?
    Last edited by Karcan; 2010-12-10 at 05:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456

Quote Originally Posted by Karcan View Post
    where you can download the game?
    Try Pooshlmer.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

7. - Top - End - #457
    Pixie in the Playground

works well thanks

8. - Top - End - #458

Finished Bakemonogatari, it was pretty good. The Mayoi Snail arc and episode 12 were fantastic, but the rest of the episodes weren't quite up to that level. Dialogue and voice acting was top-notch, but animation was hit or miss (not a surprise coming from Shaft).

Then I moved on to Eden of the East, and wow is this show good. How did I miss this last year?

Anyway, enough about my post-acceptance anime binge. Let's get back to the Let's Play that I keep getting distracted from.

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 64

Spoiler
    Show
    Eirin: Oh my, welcome. Where does it hurt?

Reimu: What?

You came to get medicine, didn't you? This is a pharmacy after all.

...You all use to hide yourselves away then, before the moon incident. Since then, you've certainly become more proactive and positive, huh?

That's right, we played an eternally long game of hide and seek back then. So isn't it okay for us to play a little bit every now and then?

As long as it doesn't annoy others. That moon-concealing incident was far too much, for example.

That's in the past now. We have no reason to hide the moon, or hide ourselves anymore. We've finally attained the freedom we desired. So, what medicine do you need? A quick visual inspection seems to indicate to me that you have an end-of-season cold.

You can diagnose me just from looking? Gah, you sidetracked me again...I came here to request for your help.

My help? ...Ahh, you want me to serve in your army? ...I have one condition.

One condition? What is it?

I want your guarantee that all of Eientei and its residents will not be harmed in any way whatsoever. And I want a treaty signed to confirm it.

Just what kind of person do you think I am?

A demon from hell who ruthlessly brutalizes all who stands in her way.

...Maybe I should place a seal here that'll keep you all from ever going out again.

It was just a little joke. As long as you accept those conditions, I shall obey you.

You don't have to worry anyway, I've got nothing bad in store for Eientei. I'm quite impressed at your willingness though.

By the way, honestly, the attitude you take for these things isn't effective at all. You need to show more motivation for the things you must do.

...I take it back. Just be a servant already.

Eirin Yagokoro became an ally.

Kaguya: My, a guest? I'm afraid there isn't much of interest around here right now. Come again another time, perhaps.

Reimu: That's not what I came here for...

Marisa: Even if there ain't anythin' to do, we can always do a li'l sightseein'!

...You would be the one who "borrowed" some of our precious treasures, correct? Do return them at once.

Pshaw, they looked so pitiful in the corner of that room, gatherin' dust. All I did was save 'em from their fate!

...Is thievery not considered a sin on earth?

She's the exception to the rule.

Oh well, I suppose it's alright. They're fakes after all.

Whaaaat!? How could this be? Are my eyes startin' to fail me!?

Those are very well-crafted imitations...But I'm afraid only one of the real thing exists.

Give it to me!

Perhaps when my lifespan has run its course.

Damnit, I hafta be more careful next time...

It appears we could do with heightened surveillance as well. Now then, please go on home, Ms. Thief.

Don't treat me like a thief too! Bah, I mean...Would you join our army? You all may have lost...But I'm sure you're not satisfied yet, right?

...You're asking me to serve you, a mere human of humble birth?

Humble birth or whatever, everyone's the same to me.

......Heh...Ahahahahahahaha! I suppose we've been living here long enough, indeed. Very well, I haven't had enough fun yet, after all.

That's good then. Let's do our best.

And the fee to let you join us is that treasure that you...

No.

...It'll be mine someday.

Kaguya Houraisan became an ally.

We get our first look at some of the unique characters from Hakugyokurou when they attack the human village this turn. Lily White is still her usual hyperactive scatterbrained self, as evident in her special, which distributes random stat buffs to allies and foes alike. Not reliable enough to be a threat, but the Prismrivers and Youmu have more dangerous skills up their sleeves.

Youmu possesses a skill that's sort of like the reverse of Aya's: a melee attack that hits from afar and instantly brings her into Close range of the target. The Prismrivers each have a multi-target support effect for their special: Lunasa debuffs all enemies, Merlin buffs all allies, and Lyrica has a very annoying group heal spell.

BGM: Pranked!

Reimu: ...Hey Marisa?

Marisa: ...Yeah?

...What's going on?

...Don't ask me.

Another feast was beginning to start, at the usual place, at the usual shrine. That was fast becoming a normal, everyday occasion...but there was something especially strange about this day.

Remilia: Patchy, here, have a drink. Will you be fine under this strong sunlight though?

Patchouli: Ah, tea? Thank you. And a vampire should be worrying about herself more than others in that regard.

Alice: I'll give you all a little show. My exciting Puppet Play starts now!

Youmu: Ohhhh, so many dolls are moving all at once...!

Sakuya: One, two...sixteen, all of them surrounding us perfectly without leaving a gap...This would be a good reference for knife angles.

Meiling: Whew...Accompanying Milady everywhere is fine and all, but is it really okay for us to be drinking so much at this time of the day?

Yuyuko: My, you're as serious as Youmu. Don't be so stiff, relax and enjoy yourself~.

Many familiar faces were present in the area, having fun and drinking sake. Reimu hadn't consented to it, of course, but everyone still arrived as if it was a planned gathering and got the party going.

...This is horrible.

What do you all think you're doing!? You're trespassing in my shrine!

My, isn't it obvious? We're here for worship.

Indeed, and where better to worship than a shrine?

You expect me to believe that a vampire would come here for worship?

I just came here to make a prayer~. I prayed that I could have fun and joy every day like this.

Uh, um...Yes, I came here to pray for that as well.

In that case, I came here to pray for protection for my books from being stolen.

Then I...Hmm, what should I pray for?

I'm not very sure myself. I'll need some time to think about it.

No one asked you all!!!

Hey, c'mon, calm down a bit...We've been havin' a drink too, after all.

Exactly. You don't sound very convincing with a cup in one hand and sweets in the other, Reimu.

Don't put me together with you all! Why did everyone purposely come here to drink and eat, anyway? Why not anywhere else?

Now that you ask...

Hmm...It's just coincidence, surely.

Yeah, everyone just got the idea to drink together, that's all.

Whatever the case, y'all might as well be members of our army at this rate.

Which do you prefer, alcohol or tea?

I'll mix 'em then drink up.

How very like you.

I've brought some auspicious red and white festival yeast buns for the occasion too. Would you like red or white?

I guess I'll take a red...Hey, wait a second...

Here's some water.

Thanks, I could use some...*gulp* Ughwah!? T-This isn't water, it's Japanese sake!

[color="DarkRed"]Mmhmm, and we have plenty of that to go around, so do take a seat already.

*cough*...Fine, but only for today!

Alright then, cheers!

In the end, they all sang and drank while the sun was up. And as soon as the sun set, everyone left without helping to clean up. Reimu could no longer even sigh at the sight of such a disaster.

...Can we stop now?

... I'll help ya out.

...It's actually quite strange. It's as if someone is attracting all these people here and making them drink and party the whole day.

If it were just us, we'd be fine drinkin' under the shrine roof as well.

And I'm getting the feeling that another feast will be coming soon. If we don't come up with something to counter it...I won't be able to stand this anymore.

Agreed. Havin' to help out with cleanin' up after everything is real tirin'.

...That's not what I meant.

Turn: 64
    Ouki: 13051
    Ryumaku: 102/133
    Actions Available: 3

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Night-Blind Road
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 33 RES

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
    Defense: 190/190
    Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Muenzuka
    Defense: 215/215
    Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Human Village
    Defense: 150/310
    Cost to Develop: 36 RES

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill
    Defense: 205/205
    Cost to Develop: 9 RES

Misty Lake
    Defense: 225/225

SDM Gate
    Defense: 230/230
    Cost to Develop: 12 RES

Great Library
    Defense: 195/195
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Clock Tower

SDM Top Floor

Lost Bamboo Forest

Hidden House

Eientei

Enemy Territories:

Blossoms Barrier
    Army: Hakugyokurou Hades
    General: Prismriver Sisters
    Defense: 220/220

Hakugyokurou Stairs
    General: Youmu Konpaku
    Defense: 200/200

Hakugyokurou
    General: Yuyuko Saigyouji (leader)
    Defense: 235/235

Yakumo Residence
    Army: Yakumo Clan
    General: Yukari Yakumo (leader)
    Defense: 310/310

Special Events:

War Declaration: Yakumo Clan
    Costs 10 NEG to declare war.

Setting a Feast Trap
    Costs 30 RES to initiate this event.

Just sitting back for some development and recruitment today. Of course, even while doing nothing, things still keep happening.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-12-10 at 11:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Firbolg in the Playground

Set feast trap!
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

I also think we should set the feast trap, but who would it be affecting, Yuyuko, Lily White, some other party unrelated to the moe ghost army?
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

11. - Top - End - #461
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    ... some other party unrelated to the moe ghost army?
    Bingo. Who else besides Marisa hangs out at Hakurei shrine?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Bingo. Who else besides Marisa hangs out at Hakurei shrine?
    Deja vu incarnate, apparently.

Set feast trap. Didn't know she was in this game.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

13. - Top - End - #463
    Banned

Set a feast trap and then sing along. Just beware of the stalking. And of course she's in the game. Everyone who was in games from EoSD to PoFV are in it and if you play national mode in the post-game content, the MoF people show up too. Which is everyone who existed in a Windows era Touhou at the time the game was originally released.

Also even if she isn't very good i still vote for picking up a useless bunny.

About Eden of the East, Mirrinus. Both the movies have also been subbed. Sadly i think that despite absolutely amazing animation, music and voice acting they aren't quite as good as the show. I'd still recommend giving them a look if you like the show.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2010-12-11 at 09:24 AM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Set a feast trap and then sing along. Just beware of the stalking. And of course she's in the game. Everyone who was in games from EoSD to PoFV are in it and if you play national mode in the post-game content, the MoF people show up too. Which is everyone who existed in a Windows era Touhou at the time the game was originally released.

Also even if she isn't very good i still vote for picking up a useless bunny.
    Does this mean both Aki sister make an appearance, unlike Touhou Labyrinthine, where only Minoriko makes an appearance? I'm not sure if Momiji also appears, which makes me question about her interaction with Aya. Then there is the question of Rinnosuke, as Curiosities of Lotus Asia was released before MoF, and the appearance of Akyu, Luna, Sunny, and Star does somewhat confirm the use of supplementary materials in this game.

Also, I do not think sex appeal is what our army needs right now.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2010-12-11 at 09:42 AM.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

15. - Top - End - #465
    Banned

You can always use more sex appeal!

Also Rinnosuke is not in it, that's true. I guess the developers just decided that there was nothing compelling enough to drag someone who categorically doesn't fight into events of the game. Can't say i complain much. Momiji and Shizuha are both in it, but national mode doesn't have plot, i'm afraid.

16. - Top - End - #466

For those curious, the Feast Trap event only shows up once you've recruited at least 20 unique Touhou characters. Yet another reason why unique characters are superior to generics. Although, once again, I'd like a generic with Pressure sometime. But would that make the endgame too easy?

About Eden of the East, Mirrinus. Both the movies have also been subbed. Sadly i think that despite absolutely amazing animation, music and voice acting they aren't quite as good as the show. I'd still recommend giving them a look if you like the show.
    Oh yes, I know about the movies. I don't know why people say the ending was bad; I thought it was great. Not for the message, but for the execution, in that Akira basically started his own game with 100 million people.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Banned

I was mostly thinking about the large subplot about finding his mother. I still cannot tell what the purpose of that was, it didn't seem to add anything but running time. That and even the idea that Mononobe was anything but a crazy fascist, even after he outright said that he considered the individual people of Japan just parts in making the country great.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Orc in the Playground

Everyone who was in games from EoSD to PoFV are in it and if you play national mode in the post-game content, the MoF people show up too. Which is everyone who existed in a Windows era Touhou at the time the game was originally released.
    With the most recent patches, the characters of UFO have been "released" as well. However (and disappointingly), they're pretty much just generic units, and don't even get any unique abilities. I think the same also applied for Iku and Tenshi actually, so SWR is technically represented.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    With the most recent patches, the characters of UFO have been "released" as well. However (and disappointingly), they're pretty much just generic units, and don't even get any unique abilities. I think the same also applied for Iku and Tenshi actually, so SWR is technically represented.
    Iku and Tenshi get their own unique abilities (but no character portraits). As for the SA and UFO characters, they get predefined generic abilities (e.g. Nue has Pressure and Byakuren has Healing Prayer) but they have pretty good stats, certainly better than the average generic.

Meanwhile, the MoF team is seriously OP.
    Last edited by conquer987; 2010-12-12 at 01:15 AM.

20. - Top - End - #470

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 65

Spoiler
    Show
    Reimu: This is quite clearly an incident.

Marisa: Yeah, I've actually been thinkin' that for awhile now.

You lie.

Hey hey, I'm not lyin'! And the proof is cuz this incident reminds me of somethin' awhile ago.

My, what a coincidence. It brings up certain memories for me too...And that's not something to be particularly proud of.

Yeah, I s'pose not. But yeah, I've definitely experienced somethin' similar to this before.

Yes. People naturally gathering without anyone calling them...and continuous, neverending feasts...There was a secret perpetrator behind the scenes then.

The M.O. this time is completely the same too. Lookin' at the situation, they're entirely alike, so the culprit should be the same too.

And she's usually in league with Yukari too. Geez, she always goes too far.

Well, now ya know the culprit's objective, but what can ya do to stop it? We can't see her after all, so we can't lay a finger on her.

Hehe, do you think I'll give up that easily? Me, a specialist? I've been keeping this a secret since it'll be trouble if she hears about it...but you'll see.

Reimu smiled mysteriously as she spoke. She probably had an effective plan in mind...That's what Marisa thought, at least, so she decided to let Reimu handle everything.

Meiling: Here, I'll show you one of the many styles of martial arts for your entertainment. Haaa, hooo...!

Youmu: Ohh...A close-range form of battle using chi with your bare hands? As a swordswoman, I must keep this in mind for reference.

Sakuya: You really are quite skillful. Do your fingers not get tired from manipulating so many dolls at the same time?

Alice: That's only for amateurs. You're able to throw several knives with terrific accuracy at the same time too, after all.

Patchouli: Goodness, everyone's so enthusiastic even in this sweltering heat.

Remilia: You should try to mix around with everyone too, Patchy. It might just cure your asthma.

What a nice joke. My asthma will end the day I stop breathing.

Yuyuko: Do make sure to come to me when that happens. I could use a few more people with brains.

You're not allowed to headhunt my subjects! You can take the black one if you want, though.

Marisa: (That Reimu told me to join in normaly, but not to drink...But that ain't normal at all...Just what's she plannin'?)

...Marisa? It's strange to see you so deep in thought.

Ehh? Ah, yeah, decapitators are real awful.

That sort of fits, but it's not quite what we're talking about.

(Reimu...please hurry up already!)

Reimu stood at a faraway location from the feast, acting as its shadow. She looked at the festivities from a distance, smiling at a job well done.

Reimu: Good, it's progressing well. Now, it just needs to get closer to its climax, then...

Reimu continued to inspect the situation from her distant location. It was barely visible among the sake-drinking crowd, but as it got wilder, a certain fog became visible, and started to get thicker.

BGM: Legends

Just as it was all reaching its climax, Reimu slowly stood up, spread her legs, and placed her hands on her hips. Her fingers then intertwined together, and she began to chant.

The four borders that enclose, shall exorcise the evil and negate the gloom of the oni's calamities...Make the invisible visible, Evil Oni Seal!

She held out the branch of a sacred tree, and spoke words befitting of a shrine maiden who served her god. A gigantic barrier then enclosed the area of the feast, cutting it off from the outside world.

Whew, this should do it. Now to apply the finishing touches.

The barrier that now enclosed the area was completely colourless and transparent. It looked completely different from the iside, with a cloudy mist around it.

Hey Reimu, what's up with this thing?

Marisa rushed over as soon as she saw Reimu starting to approach them. She was naturally asking about the barrier. None of the others had apparently noticed the barrier, and were continuing to drink merrily.

It's exactly what it looks like. A barrier. Nothing from the inside can escape out of it.

...Ahh, I see what you're gettin' at.

Unlike the last time, we know what we're dealing with now. No matter how much she tries to disperse, if she can't run, she'll have to show herself!

She then marched right into the middle of the party. She looked left and right, but was not even slightly interested in joining in. Instead, she was looking to end the enjoyable feasts right this moment.

Now then, you can't hide forever. Come out already. I know you're there.

Reimu folded her arms and called out to nothingness. The thin fog that was hovering over the area started to gather and materialize into the form of a person.

The formation eventually completed to reveal the figure of a little girl with the body of a kid, and a pair of oversized horns that looked silly on her stature.

Suika: ...Ahh, I got found out again. You did well to find me.

It was obvious. This is the second time after all.

You sure brought a really nostalgic antique out for the occasion though. I didn't think you'd still have those barriers around.

An absolute barrier that cannot be escaped easily, used for Oni-binding...I looked through the old books in the storehouse especially for you.

Hmm, good job I suppose.

Suika wasn't affected by Reimu's displeased way of talking at all, and took another swig from the gourd that she carried with her everywhere.

*gulp* *hic*...Want a drink, Reimu?

The feasts are now over. It's a real bother to hold these constantly. And you're the one who kept gathering them to this place, weren't you?

Whoa, I've been found out that much? ...Then again, that was pretty much the same too. Isn't it fine, though? Everyone had a lot of fun.

Suika glanced over at the partygoers, who still hadn't noticed that the Oni who was always at feasts had shown up. They were still too busy continuing the feast.

You all should stop too!

Oh~, but today's the last time after all, so we have to enjoy it to the fullest.

Indeed, I don't even know what you're making such a big fuss over.

...You knew from the beginning, didn't you.

Well, yeah. it's no longer an incident if we know what's the cause of it.

And we're not troubling anyone.

Yes you are! I'm breaking up the party right now! By force if I have to!

By force, huh...?

BGM: Tremors of Hostility

Suika slowly began to stand up, gourd still attached to mouth, reacting to Reimu's exclamation. She stood steadily and confidently, as if she was ready to beat anyone and everyone up, despite all the sake she drank.

You're boasting about your strength in front of an Oni, huh...? When did you get so haughty?

Why did you do this to begin with? If you wanted to drink, no one would mind if you did it normally.

...That's because that black one over there...She said something that really got on my nerves.

...Me?

Marisa? What did you say to her?

I seriously have no idea...What'd I do?

You said I wasn't needed.

Huh?

(flashback)

Right, let's just keep a discreet eye on it...Ahh, using my head too much makes me hungry. Let's get some soba while we're here.

I'll take mine with tempura.

Who said I'm treating you?

Who said they wanted to be treated?

I'll take tofu soba then. The cold tofu goes wonderfully with the hot soba. As for you...I'll treat you to a slice of watermelon.

...Forget it. Especially the bit 'bout the watermelon. I don't need anythin' that reminds me of a certain Oni.

(end flashback)

I finally came back to Gensokyo, and some human went and said I'm not needed. So I figured I'd give her another lesson on the strength of the Oni.

So you were the source of all the troubles!

Hey hey hey, I wasn't talking about Suika, I was talkin' about the watermelons! And you were listenin' in!?

Yeah I was. I was the fog near you. Anyway, that's why...So let's get started. You gotta do some exercise after some heavy drinking.

Oni really are such troublemakers. I wanted to resolve this peacefully, but since this is the case now, you better prepare yourself!

Prepare myself? Heh, your memory isn't too good. I'll make you remember once again, the power of the ancient Oni that humans and youkai have forgotten!

BGM: Onigashima in the Fairyland ~ Missing Power ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

Suika hits like a freight truck. That's pretty much the main thing you need to know about this fight. She prefers melee attacks, and will aggressively Advance All if no one is at Close range to her, so it's a good idea to stick at least character capable of surviving her onslaught in the Close position to tank her attacks.

Even on Normal mode, Suika is capable of OHKO shots on characters with average defense, so you'll need someone with very good defense (my Keine has 10 DEF) or other forms of survival (like Resurrection). Since this is a boss fight and not a normal battle, Suika's attack power will not go down as her HP decreases.

Be very afraid of Suika's Pandemonium. It lets her attack 2-4 times in one turn, and it's a melee attack that ignores range, so it can snipe your backrow mages with ease. Each hit is less powerful than her regular attack, but they still hurt quite a bit. Two of these hits should be more than enough to KO most non-tankish characters.

Since this is a special boss fight, you get an unlimited battle counter (and so does your enemy). That means it's perfectly fine to spam expensive specials for healing, buffs, and other effects. Whenever a character is defeated, they'll automatically be replaced by a random character from your roster; better hope it's someone you've raised for battle! The fact that they always start at Medium range can be a problem; on their first turn, they either have to retreat and pass, or advance and attack into Suika's strong counterattack.

On higher difficulties, Suika gets several mini-Suika clones as her allies. They have less than half as much HP as the real Suika, but they still each get access to Pandemonium.

Anyway, once Suika has been defeated you can enjoy the rest of this awesome event.

Suika: Owowowow...Geez, couldn't you all have shown a bit of restraint?

They achieved victory against the illusionary Oni of terrifying strength, Suika Ibuki. But even though everyone had taken shots at her, she didn't look even the slightest bit weary.

Reimu: As if we could when fighting someone like you! Anyway, this is the end of the feast, so hurry up and...

Ah, wait a sec.

What? If you think you can make excuses...

Well...Hmm, yeah, she's about there, I guess. She's definitely a lot better than before. It's like she just needs a little push.

Hey, what are you mumbling to yourself about!?

Hmm..Yeah, I guess I'll give her the final shove, huh? Alright, gotcha. It should be fine, I think.

Suika had apparently received communicaton from something, and looked like she was talking to herself. Reimu started to get a bad feeling, but Suika turned to her before it could develop.

Ahh, sorry, sorry. I'm done now.

......?

Don't worry about it. All you need to worry about is this!

Wha!?

Suika had been smiling the whole time, but that smile disappeared from her face that second, causing Reimu to stop in her tracks. Reimu took up a stance to prepare, when she noticed something strange.

BGM: Moment by Moment ~KIZAKIZA~

Wha...What's going on!?

Did you forget about my power? I can manipulate density. With that, I have cut off this space where we exist from the outside throught dissipation. In other words, no one outside can interfere, and there's nowhere for you to run...It's an improved version of that ancient barrier of yours.

A quick look around the surroundings revealed that Marisa and the rest, despite being so near, looked very far away, and there were no sounds of the wind or nature, let alone voices. Reimu was truly isolated. Suika must have a reason for doing this, but Reimu could not figure out what it was. Reimu was starting to feel the pressure from facing off against an Oni under such circumstances.

...What are you trying to do?

When you are facing an opponent who vastly outnumbers you, you aim to eliminate their commander. Basic war tactics, no?

You really don't know when to give up. And what have you been talking aboutall this while? You were talking about me so secretively.

Reimu irritatedly tried to cross-examine Suika's incomprehensible attitude, but Suika simply increased the power of her mysterious aura, causing Reimu to wince.

It doesn't matter. More importantly...What are you doing? Wouldn't you rather run and spare your life?

Run? Don't be silly, I'll finish this by taking out the culprit!

She took out several anti-demon needles from her sleeve and threw them at Suika. The needles flew right at her...But then, long before they could reach Suika, they came to a stop and dropped to the floor aimlessly.

Wha...!?

You really did forget about my power. I simply dissipated the distance between our positions, so you can't reach me now. You can't do a thing to me. I really would recommend that you run. You could call it a strategic retreat. No one's coming to help you, and you can't do anything on your own.

Hmph...You keep talking nonsense. When did I ever ask for anyone to come and help me?

Reimu remained stubborn, even with Suika provoking her. But Suika's words only grew even harsher.

That comeback of yours is proof that you know nothing at all~. It's not a matter of asking for people to help you or not.

... You're getting really annoying. Just spit out what you want to say already.

I'll do it all myself~, I don't need anyone else~...You're thinking that, aren't you~? That is where you have greatly erred. There isn't a single soul who can truly live alone in this Gensokyo.

...I was waiting for something good, but another silly lecture? How stupid, you should say "Unlock your secret hidden power!" or something like that.

Ahaha, I suppose you have that. But it's not quite what I want to say.

...You're starting to annoy me. I've got no time for your nonsense, bring us back already.

Go ahead, do it yourself then. For the great, aloof and resolute Hakurei shrine maiden, Reimu Hakurei, this should be nothing, right~?

Why you...!

A cursory glance of the surroundings showed Reimu nothing unusual; just a large distance to the outside. If it was a kind of barrier, she could null it simply by touching it. But it wasn't a barrier.

She tried to fly towards the rice-grain-like entity that was Marisa in her view. But just like the needles she threw earlier, she could not get any closer. She gave up, and turned around to see a grinning Suika.

This area is my world. Whatever you try to do, all that will happen is you fluttering around helplessly around me.

...In other words, I'll have to deal with you.

It must be so lonely, being by yourself in this world, with no friends or allies. No one will come to help you like before. Oh, right, you don't need them. Ahh~, such a poor little thing~. Marisa and everyone else at the shrine think of you as a friend and an ally, but what do you think of them?

Stop talking about this crap. You're just trying to guilt trip me.

I sure am. But haven't you ever wondered? Why is it that you don't feel the things that other people feel?

...What are you talking about?

You're under the impression that you're following your own will. But that's wrong. You're being forced to think as you do.

...I said, what are you talking about!?

Reimu unintentionally raised her voice. Reimu was beginning to feel the crushing pressure of Suika's words like a weight on her body.

You are...a Hakurei. Your duty is to protect the barrier that preserves Gensokyo. On the surface, that means you can't let yourself be influenced by others. And that's natural. The Great Hakurei Barrier is the lifeline of Gensokyo. If its custodian got too close to someone, others would find it unsettling. In short, what you think has been your own will, has actually all been the will of the Hakurei blood that flows within you.

W-What are you...Stop messing around!

My, are you shocked? I can imagine so. You must've been thinking that you were living life the way you wanted, when it's all been decided for you already.

S...Shut up! Shut UP!

Reimu was flying into a rage, throwing all sorts of needles and cards at Suika. But of course, none of them hit their mark. Suika seemed so close, yet so far, and was giving her smirk with pity in her eyes.

...That Hakurei blood served as a defense system to protect Gensokyo. But in this age where humans and youkai are closer than ever, it is plainly unsuitable. This is the first time that a Hakurei could live among humans and youkai freely. yet, the blood of the Hakurei refuses to change. Even you have not noticed it. And...that's why I've decided to teach this to you by force!

Ugh...!? Ahhhhhh!!

Suika's unearthly aura suddenly flowed over, and she showered Reimu with danmaku. Reimu barely dodged several of the bullets, but some were unavoidable, and she was knocked away by them.

C'mon, what's wrong!? so you can't do anything on your own after all!? What's the matter? Beat me like you did just a little while ago!

Y-You're just...Argh!

Suika continued to fire an endless stream of danmaku at Reimu. Reimu no longer had any hope of standing up to Suika's barrages. It was all she could do just to defend herself.

...Reimu, no one is telling you to change immediately. But the precious things close to you...right next to you. That's all we want you to realize. I'm sure you have the radiance somewhere deep within your heart. You will realize the people by your side, calling out your name!

My name...? Uwahhh!

A single, large magic bullet struck Reimu directly...As she collapsed to the floor, a single, hazy face rose to her consciousness...it was the face of Marisa.

It figures that at this kind of time...It's her face I see...

...Marisa then materialized fully into her view. The Marisa from outside the space that Suika created was yelling out something. She was so small and far away before, yet now, she seemed perfectly normal.

Marisa: ......! .................!

What...? What are you saying...?

...mu...wake...Re...wake up...What's wrong with you...Get a hold of yourself, Reimu!

......!

BGM: A Single Ending, A Single Beginning

Marisa's voice suddenly rang clear and true into her ears, and something stirrd within Reimu. A small sphere of light emerged from Reimu's chest, and floated in front of her eyes.

Wha...What is this...?

You forgot about my power again. I don't just dissipate, I gather as well. See? It's starting to gather now.

Just as Suika said, tiny spheres of light continued to emerge from within Reimu, merging to become even bigger and brighter. All the people Reimu had met floated to her mind. She felt a strange, warm glow in her heart.

This is...

How d'ya like it? This light is formed by the radiance of the hearts of everyone in this world with affection for you. Ahaha, there's so many of them!

Before long, the light had been completed. The sphere the size of a fist floated in front of Reimu's chest...She reached out to touch it, and it instantly popped.

Ah...

You aren't actually supposed to see this kind of thing. Treat it as a special gift from me. Relax, gathering all these lights for you is why I came here.

I...I...T-That doesn't matter! How dare you mess with me like that!

Ahahaha! As long as you're that lively, there's nothing to worry about. Do your best in your Hakurei duties from now on as well~!

The pressurizing aura that Suika emitted vanished in an instant, and Suika was back to her usual self. At the same time, Marisa rushed over to Reimu's side. The space had returned to normal at some point.

Hey, Reimu! Are you okay!? Suika, what the hell were you doing!?

Marisa...I-I'm fine, please don't worry about me.

Hm...? If ya say so, but you're actin' kinda strange...It's like your entire atmosphere's changed.

It's just your imagination. And don't say such weird things, it gives me the shivers.

Ahaha...Well, there's no rush. Just take it slow and steady.

What's she talkin' about?

...Just some Oni psychology.

What's that supposed' ta mean? ...Well, whatever. Let's clean up this mess. Everyone's gonna pitch in this time.

Remilia: Now, let's finish this quickly and go home. Work hard, Sakuya.

Sakuya: You should help out too, Milady. Though admittedly, it would be silly if you helped out here, but not at the mansion.

Patchouli: ...If it's light, I can handle it.

Meiling: I'll take the empty bottles back, then.

Yuyuko: Youmu, please handle the bags.

Youmu: Yes. A lot of them are empty now, I see.

Alice: I'll do the sweeping up, then. These little ones will have the place clean in a jiffy.

And so, everyone set off on their own duties to clean up after the end of the feast. Reimu had a glimpse of the brightness of their feelings from their hearts...The radiance of it maid Reimu dim her eyes.

...Hm? Is somethin' wrong? Ya look like you're findin' it difficult to stand. Are ya not feelin' well? You can go over there to rest if ya...

...Stop.

Huh?

I demand this cleaning up to stop! Let's start drinking again! C'mon, no complaints now! Spread the mats and open up those bags!

...It doesn't appear to be raining.

Well, if Reimu says it's okay, who are we to refuse?

You heard her, Youmu. Put down those bags. Ah, and go back to Hakugyokurou to pick up more suitable items for a feast.

Awww...Ah well, I suppose it can't be helped.

The feast restarted at Reimu's command. And this time, it was a true feast, uninfluenced by Suika in any way. Suika looked on happily as the preparations began anew.

Heeey! If you don't come quickly, there'll be no more food left for you!

Ah, okay okay, I'm coming!

(...You're watching, huh? I don't know if they're what you expected...But they're a great bunch all the same. Your beloved Gensokyo is in safe hands here, at least.)

And Reimu will always be at the center of it. Suika looked up at the dazzling sun, shining its rays of light gently on the girls, then went off to join the party.

Reimu's story has been cleared.
    Suika Ibuki has been taken prisoner.

Turn: 65
    Ouki: 5491
    Ryumaku: 105/134
    Actions Available: 3

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path
    \Cost to Develop: 33 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
    Defense: 190/190

Muenzuka
    Defense: 215/215

Human Village
    Defense: 150/310
    Cost to Develop: 36 RES

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill

Misty Lake

SDM Gate

Great Library
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Clock Tower

SDM Top Floor

Lost Bamboo Forest

Hidden House

Eientei

Enemy Territories:

Blossoms Barrier
    General: Prismriver Sisters
    Defense: 220/220

Hakugyokurou Stairs
    General: Youmu Konpaku
    Defense: 200/200

Hakugyokurou
    General: Yuyuko Saigyouji (leader)
    Defense: 235/235

Yakumo Residence
    Army: Yakumo Clan
    General: Yukari Yakumo (leader)
    Defense: 310/310

Special Events:

War Declaration: Yakumo Clan
    Costs 10 NEG to declare war.

New Prisoners:

Suika Ibuki
    Level: 23
    HP: 900
    MEL: 9
    RNG: 5
    DEF: 6
    WIS: 5
    SPD: 4
    RES: 6
    NEG: 2
    Cost: 7
    Special: Pandemonium, melee attack that randomly hits 2-4 times, ignores range.

Btw, I also spent the turn purchasing some items, hence our lower Ouki funds. You can check the first post to see what's left at the store.

So according to this game, Suika can set up a fuzetsu field, stop bullets like she were The One, deliver a Reason You Suck speech to the main heroine of the series, manipulate the light orbs from the Illusionary World, and conclude with a smirk and a "Just as planned". Awesome.

Didn't one of Chado's doujinshi also use a similar plot, except with the SDM?

Also, I've never noticed this before, but apparently completing Reimu's story gives her a +100 boost to her max HP as well. Cool.

Do you honestly think this is the end of Reimu's story? Ha...just you wait.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-12-12 at 03:42 AM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe it's the Discworld binge talking, but I think "Oni headology" would be more appropriate.

But yes, as neat as that cutscene was, I'm not exactly surprised. Suika's fairly smart, after all. That, and if you look at her IaMP story mode, you'll see that she's often in a lecturing mood. Almost more so than Shikieiki, actually. Certainly far, far more vicious about it in most cases.

Anyway, this sort of thing is why she's one of my favourite characters in the series

Also, next up, recruit Suika. Recruit her ten times, if possible. Those stats are just terrifying.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

22. - Top - End - #472
    Banned

Yeah, Suika is great. Also we're going to need to have her later, so you've got to recruit her. Also this cutscene is just part of Reimu's story, it doesn't truly end until the end of the game.

Still i actually prefer the conclusion to Marisa's story, which it appears that Mirrinus hasn't unlocked yet. Use Patchy some more, okay?

23. - Top - End - #473
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    Didn't one of Chado's doujinshi also use a similar plot, except with the SDM?
    I thought of two wrong doujins before I got the one that you meant. Yeah, you're thinking of Koumakyou, where Remilia and Marisa (and EX Rumia) team up to teach Reimu something similar. Of course, Chado being Chado, his take on it is quite a bit darker.
    It also makes a hilarious and awesome dig at the Continue mechanic.

There's also one by Personal Color, About Official Matters, with this kind of premise.

But yeah, recruit Suika. I don't even care about her stats, just recruit her.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-12-12 at 10:09 AM.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm with recruiting the flat chested, drunk lolita.

Now it's time to go after the Lunasa, Merlin, Lyrica, Lily White, Yomou, Yuyuko and finally Chen, Ran, and Yukari.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Barbarian in the Playground

So that's what the series of party events is for? I went 'buh ' when i got the Yuyuko-Youmu one ages after i had them conquered, felt rather out of place. The 'dissipating distance' bit just bugs me though , in the vein of "if i can BS the wording enough, my power can do anything". I blame Yukari for that trend .

Suika would make a good bruiser for the Eientei group, so recruit her. As for picking up the freelancers, i found that bringing a factions territory down to th last 60 pts or so makes them counter-attack with ~75% probability. Placing Remi & Co on guard duty whilst developing managed to net me Lunasa. Still biding my time and seeing who i can fish out of the Yakumos before finishing them off .
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    The 'dissipating distance' bit just bugs me though , in the vein of "if i can BS the wording enough, my power can do anything". I blame Yukari for that trend .
    I blame Kinoko Nasu.

"I have the power to kill anything by stabbing it. Oh no, I've been bitten by a vampire! Meh, I'll just stab the vampirism."

Kara no Kyoukai takes it even further.
    "You can't stab me, I'm too far away!"
    *stabs the concept of distance*
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-12-12 at 11:50 AM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Orc in the Playground

Reminds me of the goofiness the D&D-ers got up to when they found the Iron Heart Surge in the Book of Nine Swords.

Select one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds. That effect ends immediately.
    "OK, I'm going to take this power on my vampire warblade. Then, as a standard action, I end the sun."
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2010-12-12 at 02:30 PM.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

28. - Top - End - #478
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    Also, I've never noticed this before, but apparently completing Reimu's story gives her a +100 boost to her max HP as well. Cool.
    Not only that, it gives her +1 to all of her combat stats (as in only MEL, RNG, DEF, and WIS) as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    And there's more to Reimu's story? But didn't it just say her story was completed? Do you mean that the bonus part on the higher difficulties is part of it as well?

29. - Top - End - #479

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    Not only that, it gives her +1 to all of her combat stats (as in only MEL, RNG, DEF, and WIS) as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    And there's more to Reimu's story? But didn't it just say her story was completed? Do you mean that the bonus part on the higher difficulties is part of it as well?
    Oh yes, definitely.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Banned

The ending also changes on normal difficulty, though i think we might have unlocked that simply by having seen the good version of the scene with Suika. But still, the story isn't over yet even on normal.