New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Conquering the Fantasy Kitchen Sink - Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo!

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    I wonder how long it'll take for someone to figure out that I'm joking.
    For all eternity.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by catchthesun View Post
    For all eternity.
    My deadpan actually works in text too. Excellent.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #93
    Banned

Suwako loves fighting. Unlike every previous Ex-Boss in the series she is just longing to have a good brawl. Also she is quite often portrayed as being very bloodthirsty. Unlike Flandre who just doesn't understand her strength or the concept of mortality or Utsuho who just blows things up while being delirious from Yategarasu's power.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Suwako loves fighting. Unlike every previous Ex-Boss in the series she is just longing to have a good brawl. Also she is quite often portrayed as being very bloodthirsty. Unlike Flandre who just doesn't understand her strength or the concept of mortality or Utsuho who just blows things up while being delirious from Yategarasu's power.
    I know. She seems rather good-natured about it, but that said, it's hard to see how so many people miss that side of Suwako.

Also? On a similar note, lots of people seem to not notice that Suika is fairly smart. You know, despite being completely drunk at all times. Am I the only one that noticed her chucking hannibal lectures left and right during her IaMP campaign?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #95
    Banned

Huh, i'm used to seeing her portrayed as Yukari's co-conspirator and generally as being very clever. The one whose intelligence seems to be forgotten most often is Yuyuko, actually. She's frequently portrayed as airheaded and moe and only caring about food, which is pretty far from what she's actually like.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Basically, a lot of the characters are either smarter or more psychotic than one would expect. Sometimes both.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Suwako - ex-boss - check.
    Flandre - ex-boss - check.
    Utsuho - ex-boss - ...no check. That's Koishi you're thinking of.

In other news, I just found the LP.

I say go after Alice!
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

My vote is for attacking Alice's army. We can steal their precious things afterward and then move on to possibly the human village, unless there is a different threat.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

After Alice I would just continue pushing south. No reason to leave it around to devolpe and such, when the humans generally wont attack.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    My vote is for attacking Alice's army. We can steal their precious things afterward and then move on to possibly the human village, unless there is a different threat.
    Higan/Muenzuka is after the Forest of Magic, and they form an army regardless of how long you take to defeat Alice. I'm not sure if they'll start attacking of their own volition, cause I was able to develop/recruit for several turns after their formation with no response.

I'd favor the option of finishing off that side of territories over claiming the Village, since then you'd have to deal with the variety of enemies surrounding the Village in addition to the threat of the Higan team. However, there's that thing mentioned earlier about how enemies gain levels slowly or something, so putting off the Village might not be the smartest idea either if that's true and the effects are noticeable. Maybe try going with an attack on two fronts? If the level up aspect isn't too harmful though, I'll stick with my first option.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-10-21 at 05:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    After Alice I would just continue pushing south. No reason to leave it around to devolpe and such, when the humans generally wont attack.
    This. Why? Because Shikieki has completely absurd ranged firepower.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 15-17

Spoiler
    Show
    Deep in the Magic Forest, Reimu's army started their advance. Before they could get very far, a group led by a certain familiar figure stood in their way. It was Alice Margatroid, the dollmaster.

Marisa: There ya are.

Reimu: Yep. Better knock on some wood.

Alice: Hmph, how rude. I'm not a ghost, you know.

Alice herself had skin so smooth and pale, that she seemed like a doll herself. With the right amount of light, she could have easily been mistaken for a ghost.

It'd have been better if it was a ghost anyway, they're easier 'ta deal with.

...That's not important anyway. These dolls shall be given life via my fingers...And you shall have a taste of the power they possess.

With a swift movement of the fingers, the group of dolls began to stir. Facing an army like this was certainly a new experience for Reimu's army.

Marisa, you will get an especially long lesson from them.

Hah, ya think the great Marisa Kirisame would ever lose to a buncha dolls? I'll blow 'em all away with my magic.

...You call what you do magic? Your haphazard attitude to the art always rubbed me the wrong way...and I'll take this chance to show you just how much!

I'll tie that line up with a ribbon and send it right back atcha!

Unfortunately for Reimu, the two of them were in their own world, and nothing an outsider could say would snap them out of it.

With the rest of our army set on development and recruitment for these turns, our five best fighters launch the assault on the Magic Forest Interior. At first, we are met by Shanghai and a squad of other dolls.

This was not too difficult of a battle, as expected. Good thing too, because it was going to get a lot harder from here on out, and we want as large of a margin of victory at the beginning to make the later battles less worrisome.

At our next skirmish, Alice Margatroid finally stepped in to handle things herself. While her dolls could fight independently of her, once they stood besides their master and creator, they took on a whole new life and gave us a serious fight.

BGM: Doll Judgment ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

Fighting four powered-up dolls, including both Shanghai and Hourai, on top of the Alice is no small task. They stand a very good chance of wiping the floor with us if we approach this haphazardly. However, I fought her on a Hard mode run just two days ago, so the strategies for this were fresh in my mind.

In the first battle, our faster ranged attackers like Marisa started by critically damaging Shanghai, baiting Hourai into casting Artful Sacrifice to heal her back up. The gambit worked, and Hourai wasted her spell too early, taking her out of the battle. Now that it was four against five, we stood a much better chance, and managed to take out all the dolls. Alice, though, was nigh unassailable, and was left alone during the fight.

Our last battle was a lot closer, though. This time Hourai wouldn't take the bait, and spent her turns attacking rather than healing. We lose Izou early, but manage to take down Shanghai quickly as well. Alice thankfully spent most of her turns attacking Marisa, who can resist long-range attacks easily, so her enormous attack power was wasted somewhat.

Wriggle's poison was actually of great significance in this fight, taking over 40 HP from its victims with each passing turn. We suffered heavy damage, as both Reimu and Marisa came close to death during the fight. However, the poison damage was enough to bring down the dolls, leaving only Alice standing in the end.

BGM: Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Alice: Ooh...How could this be...

The dolls were vanquished, and Alice fell to her knees, defeated. Reimu and Marisa stood proudly in front of her.

Reimu: Too bad for you, but we're the winners.

Marisa: Yep yep.

Losing to Reimu is fine, but to YOU of all people...

Alice looked up with a glare at Marisa as she grumbled. Her eyes were not filled with hatred, nor with resentment. They displayed a mixture of several different, conflicting emotions.

Hoo boy...Guess you really hate me, huh?

...It's not about hatred. It's more about...regret.

Alice turned her eyes away from the two as she spoke. The sound of her words as she spoke seemed to indicate a different reason that she refused to say out loud.

After all, if I've lost to you, what does that make me after all this while?

...Y'know, why do you let it affect you so much? You're you, and I'm me. Ain't that fine the way it is?

That attitude of yours is so vexing!

Reimu had no clue what was going on, but she could sense a storm brewing at least. She tried to get in between and mediate...but it had the opposite effect.

C'mon, stop it you two. You're both magicians after all, you should learn to get along bet...

We ain't the same.

We're not the same at all!

Wha...Wait a second, what do you mean?

...Marisa and I may be magicians...but we're different.

Yeah. Cuz I'm a "human" magician.

...What's that supposed to mean?

There are two types of magicians. One type are "true" magicians, those who were magicians from birth. The other type is...

A human who becomes a magician...like her.

It was the first Reimu had heard of it. Or more accurately, she never delved too deep into the subject...so she thought everyone who used magic were considered magicians.

That's why it's so annoying. You practice magic, you live in this Magic Forest, you even call yourself a magician, yet you still choose to remain a human.

I use magic, so I'm a magician. Ain't that good enough? Magic only has meaning if I, or anyone, makes use of it. That's what I think.

Hmph, you're just trying to hide your fear. You weren't prepared to bet it all on magic, so you went on the path of a human...or do you deny it?

Yeah, I do. I was born a human, so I'll find worth in life as a human. Magic's only a way to make people's lives easier, that's all. A means ain't the same as an objective. Magic ain't somethin' ya throw away your humanity for!

......!!

*slap*

...Alice's hand flew through the air. It landed on Marisa's cheek, then remained in the air as Alice turned away. Marisa's head turned sideways from the force of the blow, and remained completely still.

............Reimu.

Eh, ah...Yeah?

...I've lost to you all. So I'm your prisoner now, yes? I'll leave the administrative things to you.

Ah...Right.

I'll be leaving then. I want to be alone for a while.

Alice then left wordlessly, walking deeper into the forest and towards her house. Marisa still had not moved an inch.

Um...Marisa?

She's...such an idiot. But...I'm an even bigger idiot.

Marisa may not have meant it the way it sounded, but the impact of the words she carelessly spoke to Alice made her regret it immediately after. Reimu no longer knew what to say to them anymore.

Alice Margatroid was taken prisoner.
    Shanghai Doll was taken prisoner.
    Hourai Doll was taken prisoner.
    String Doll became an ally.

The Road of Reconsideration. A lonely place, filled with amaryllis in full bloom. Humans, youkai, and even ghosts and spirits were rarely seen. And that was where Gensokyo's shinigami, Komachi Onozuka, stood. As the Sanzu River's ferrier, her job was to ferry spirits over to Higan. However, despite the constant presence of spirits in Gensokyo, she loved to take habitual breaks during times of heavy traffic.

Komachi: Whe-ew, it's good to take a breather every so often. After all it's so busy that I've barely been handling it. The atmosphere here is different at least.

So, she definitely wasn't slacking off...Although the way she acted definitely made it look like such. She was a master at relaxing, whether it was deserved or not.

It's quiet, but this silence is kinda deafening. Maybe I'll go to the Road Liminality, it's always bustling there. I wonder what shops are open today?

Whenever she was relaxing or doing things she enjoys, the thought of work completely disappeared from her mind. Just as she started heading for busier places, a voice called out to her from behind.

???: Lady Komachi~!

Ack! No no, you've got it wrong, I'm not slacking off...Hm?

She quickly turned around while blabbering only to find that the voice was not that of her superior, but a fluffy little ghost. She quickly dropped her guard.

Yeesh, don't scare me like that...Anyway, what did you call me for?

Ghost: Ah, yes. The Yama is calling for you, Lady Komachi. She wants you to see her immediately.

Gah...You're one of Lady Shiki's helpers? You're not gonna tell her about this, are you?

Er, I wasn't planning to...

Whew, okay. I wonder what she wants so suddenly though...A scolding, maybe...? If she's calling me to see her, then she must be angry...

Anyway, I've delivered the message...Oh, right. The Yama is waiting for you at Muenzuka.

Ehh, really? This is getting more and more mysterious.

It would be entirely normal for Eiki to be mad at her always leaving her post, but she couldn't shake the feeling that something different was afoot. She followed after the returning ghost, deep in thought.

...Muenzuka. A place surrounded by purple cherry blossom trees, created to release the deceased from their mindless wanderings. The purple cherry blossoms were flowing like tears from the trees. And standing beneath them...the Yama, Yamaxanadu Eiki Shiki awaited Komachi.

Eiki: Thank you for coming here, Komachi.

Komachi: It's no problem, but I was told to hurry here...what's the occasion?

Before I explain...You were slacking off again, were you not?

Ooh...N-No, I was just...

According to my helper, you were not present at the Sanzu River. Being away from your post of duty surely means you were slacking off.

That ghost and its big mouth...

Did you say something?

No, not at all. There are more important things to talk about anyway. If you came all the way here, that must mean that something major has occurred.

Take a look at this.

Eiki handed over a sealed envelope to Komachi. It was the same kind of envelope that Yukari had been distributing to all over Gensokyo. The actual contents of the letter, however, were remarkably different.

Whoa, a love letter? Ahaha, you sure have good taste, Lady Shiki!

Why would you think that this is a love letter?

Well, you asked to meet with me, and at this location...under a legendary tree...

...You appear to require an extremely harsh lecture.

Aww, I'm just kidding! Hmm...

The letter, while appropriately polite and detailed, was completely different from the others besides the opening "Dear so-and-so". Komachi finished reading the letter, then looked up at Eiki.

I see...What're you going to do?

I shall participate.

Ehhhhh!?

Eiki's declaration made Komachi yelp out in shock.

Did I say something that was particularly surprising?

Er, well, it's just that...Hearing you wanting to participate in this kind of event is...not what I expected.

Perhaps you may be mistaken, but I will not be participating for the sake of playing.

What are you joining it for, then?

The winner will have any wish they have granted. So I will be able to make the others listen to what I have to say. Honestly, all I am doing is trying to prevent them from going to hell...Yet everyone always looks so unpleasent when I visit.

No one really likes to hear a lecture about what they're doing wrong, I think.

Closing one's ears to lecturing is a problem in itself. I shall take a temporary pause from my work to engage in a tour of Yama service.

Geez, you're really passionate about your work.

It is more appropriate to say that you are halfhearted about yours. Anyway, I shall be counting on you as well.

Ehh? I'll be joining in too?

Of course. You are my subordinate after all. Or do you have any objections?

No no, not at all, I'll be happy to.

...You are thinking of the ability to slack off on your main work right now, are you not?

I-I'm not thinking about that, really!

Would you like to say that again in front of my Cleansed Crystal Mirror? ...I shall overlook that for now. Do make sure you continue your ferrying properly.

Ehhh!? I can't do both things at the same time, I only have one body!

I have given you an order! You usually spend most of your time playing around anyway, so do shape up and work hard for once.

And so, the Highest Judge of Paradise, Yamaxanadu Eiki Shiki and the helmswoman of the Sanzu River, Komachi Onozuka formed a new army.

"Higan Guard" has been formed.
    Road of Reconsideration placed under control of the Higan Guard.
    Muenzuka placed under control of the Higan Guard.

Marisa: Alright, it's been a long time, but the Kirisame Magic Shop's finally openin' its doors once again! Whaddaya need? Payment first, of course.

Reimu: There isn't really anything I want.

Don't be so hasty, at least take a look, won't ya? Nothin' to lose there. There's lots of things 'round here that'll make battles a whole lot easier.

Then just hand it over.

Oh c'mon, it wasn't easy to gather all this stuff. I ran 'round here and there, takin' whatever I could find...

Sure sounds like it was.

Sorry, but I gotta levy some labour costs, ya know? Anyway, if ya have time, come take a look.

I'll see.

Turn: 17
    Ouki: 10045
    Ryumaku: 15/42
    Actions Available: 2

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Night-Blind Road
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175
    Cost to Develop: 21 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 100/180
    Cost to Develop: 12 RES

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Enemy Territories:

Human Village
    Army: Human Village Corps
    General: Keine Kamishirasawa (leader)
    Defense: 310/310

Road of Reconsideration
    Army: Higan Guard
    General: Komachi Onozuka
    Defense: 190/190

Muenzuka
    General: Shikieiki Yamaxanadu (leader)
    Defense: 215/215

Special Events Available:

Declare War: Human Village Corps
    9 NEG is required to declare war.

Declare War: Higan Guard
    10 NEG is required to declare war.

Prisoners:

Alice - Excellent stats with no major weaknesses, great ability if fighting alongside dolls.
    Special: Doll Manipulation, increases the stats of doll allies.
    6 NEG is required for recruitment. (Partial recruitment completed.)

Shanghai - Great melee stats, but poor at far range.
    Special: Dolls War, a special melee attack that does good damage and may lower the target's speed.
    9 NEG is required for recruitment.

Hourai - Average stats, but has a powerful 1-shot healing spell.
    Special: Artful Sacrifice, restores a large amount of HP to all allies in exchange for most of the user's HP and remaining turns. Amount healed depends on current HP.
    9 NEG is required for recruitment.

Kirisame Shop

Each item for sale right now is an equipment that raises a particular stat by 1 point (3 points in the case of the Talisman). Only one of each item is currently in stock. Purchasing something will cost us 1 action, but you can purchase as many items as you wish with that 1 action.

I will update this section whenever new stock arrives (usually after defeating another army).

We've got lots of options now. Both the Human Village and the Higan Guard are currently neutral with us, so we can choose which one to attack first. We can also sit tight for a while if you think we should take the reprieve to develop territories, purchase items, and recruit prisoners.

One more thing to keep in mind: in battle, Characters can get stat bonuses or penalties (represented by the blue and orange arrows) when working with or fighting against certain other characters. Right now, Marisa and Alice have some negative feelings between them, so using them together in battle will weaken the both of them. Just a warning. There is an optional event later on in the game that can fix this, though.

It's something to keep in mind in general, as almost everyone has characters they'd rather work with and ones they can't stand. I try to take it into consideration when picking who to use, but I don't always mind it.

Here's the deal: I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow, so I won't be able to update tomorrow, and possibly the day after as well. So, to make up for it, here's a super-special huge update!

EDIT: By popular demand (well, someone's suggestion, at least), I've started uploading the game's music as I go along, and have added links when appropriate!
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-10-21 at 01:39 AM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

13. - Top - End - #103

Sit and upgrade. No need to make enemies and put more pressure on ourselves.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

Recruit Alice, Shanghai and Hourai so you have enough characters for two semi competent armies. Being able to hit someone twice or hit once and defend off turn is never a bad thing. Spend some turns developing the newer territories that have low development cost, declare war, end turn and let them attack first to farm xp a wee bit.

Iunno what to do with the money, get equips to specialize into sweepers or tanks if you have builds in mind. I guess. Give anyone with high speed and damage more damage enhancing stuff so we can hurt them more before they can hurt us. Damage scales with HP like sengoku rance right?
    Last edited by FLOOR_MASTER; 2010-10-21 at 01:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105

@^ Yes, damage depends on HP.

Yeah, having Alice/Shanghai/Hourai/Fumi/String available as a defense force would be handy. Not all that good for offensive purposes, as the AI isn't bound by the 1 action/character/turn.
    Wasn't all that fun to find that out the hard way .
    Handily blocks counter-assaults though, and provides us one more Res 6 char. Enough to 1-action Res 30 territories.

I'd say we should take a breather to develop some more, though i'd prioritise maxing out the top territories as effeciently as we can. Forest Border, FDPath and the shrine are prime candidates due to their relative isolation.
    Once we go on the warpath again, we need two 5-char teams, one for offense, and a secondary for defense. Leaves us relatively few chars left to use our last action, so low-Res can be developed at those times.

Whilst i'd like to see how well going after the Higan Guard at this point would go, i have already promised my support for the 'Acquire Keine'-project. So the Village it is then. Retracted in light of new development. Higan it is.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-21 at 06:34 AM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Banned

Develop for as many turns as you need to be able to recruit Alice and both the special dolls. Then go for the Higan Guard. Shikieiki is not only amazingly useful, she also has quite a bit of plot importance to get. Also poor girl needs cheering up by being kept around so she can lecture people as much as she wants to.

I will also say that i love the music in this game, both the original tracks and what, i believe, to be remixes of ZUN's work. It was a bit weird to constantly think about breast pads while fighting Remilia, though.

And Memnarch, i didn't use Flandre and Utsuho as examples of Ex-Bosses, which Utsuho fails at being anyway. I mentioned them because someone, i can't remember who, said they were more suitable berserkers than Suwako. Perhaps i should have made that a bit more clear, though.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2010-10-21 at 06:23 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, I've been wondering: How does the game actually play out?

I've heard some of the music Mirrinus posted on youtube, and to be quite honest, I don't think screenshots alone do the game justice.

Any gameplay videos on youtube I could look up? I know for some reason Mirrinus can't record the game, so I'm not complaining about that.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Eliirae View Post
    Hmm, I've been wondering: How does the game actually play out?

I've heard some of the music Mirrinus posted on youtube, and to be quite honest, I don't think screenshots alone do the game justice.

Any gameplay videos on youtube I could look up? I know for some reason Mirrinus can't record the game, so I'm not complaining about that.
    Couldn't find any gameplay videos on Youtube, so i'll borrow a battle-screen pic from here:

Spoiler
    Show

and try to explain the mechanics as well as i can:
    Spoiler
    Show

Left side = us, right side = enemy (probably Wriggle's army)
    In the middle of the top of the screen is a stack of names. That's the turn order and is dependant on speed. Fast characters get to act more often, slow characters may have to wait quite a while between actions.

On both sides of the stack are the action point meters. Every action uses up points. Basic attacks take less than special abilities. Once one side runs out of points, they no longer get to take further actions once their 'slots' in the stack have been resolved. They also no longer get to counterattack.
    Once both sides are out of points, the battle ends.

The actions you can take are dependant on distance, which is either Very Far (VF), Far (F), Medium(M), Close(C) or Very Close(VC). The distance is shown on the grid, with the vertical 1,2,3,4,5 corresponding to Reimu & Co here and the horizontal 1,2,3 to Mystia & mooks.
    So Reimu<->Mystia is Medium(M) whilst Marisa <-> Sirual is Close (C). Also color-coded for your convenience.
    Actions are: Attack(Ranged for VF* & F, melee for C & VC**), Advance(move closer to target, melee if in reach), Retreat(move away from target), Special(varies by char.), All Advance(advance towards all, no melee) and All Retreat(self-explanatory). All-Xs cost more AP than plain Xs. If you are (C) or (VC) to an opponent you cannot advance towards anyone who is at (M) or further away.

Below the action stack is a progress bar along with two percentages. These show who holds the upper hand. Whoever has more at the end wins. If Assaulting/Counterassaulting, they shift the control of the territory by the % they won with.

*deals less damage than if (F)
    ** deals more damage (both ways) than if (C)

There isn't all that much fancy pyrotechnics in-battle, besides the brief portrait cut-in when using Special Abilities on non-generics.
    I can't think of any more vital information at the moment, so if there's anything unclear about it, just ask .
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-21 at 02:26 PM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

I seem to recall you can spend points to level-up your characters? It might be a good investment, seeing how Alice and Reimu are getting out-levelled by dolls now.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    I seem to recall you can spend points to level-up your characters? It might be a good investment, seeing how Alice and Reimu are getting out-levelled by dolls now.
    While you can spend Ouki to buy experience, there's also a rule where you aren't allowed to buy any more at certain points until you level up normally. I'm not too sure of where those points are, as I've only noticed one point (level 9) so far during my run, but it's there.

I'm not too sure of the mechanics behind the rule myself, so could someone explain it better? If it won't interfere with getting more level ups later, then I support the experience-getting, since that'd be useful. It's not like there's not enough Ouki for it anyway.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

I will also say that i love the music in this game, both the original tracks and what, i believe, to be remixes of ZUN's work. It was a bit weird to constantly think about breast pads while fighting Remilia, though.
    I also enjoy the music, but I don't think it is wise to mention pads here, especially since that might provoke at least one member of the Scarlet Devil Faction.

I also agree with recruiting Alice and her dolls and then moving on to Shiki and Komachi.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    While you can spend Ouki to buy experience, there's also a rule where you aren't allowed to buy any more at certain points until you level up normally. I'm not too sure of where those points are, as I've only noticed one point (level 9) so far during my run, but it's there.

I'm not too sure of the mechanics behind the rule myself, so could someone explain it better? If it won't interfere with getting more level ups later, then I support the experience-getting, since that'd be useful. It's not like there's not enough Ouki for it anyway.
    The blocks are at every 10th level. It's also good to keep in mind that at every 10th level the cost of a unit increases by 1 as well. I still support the idea of buying some levels now though, since it gets more expensive to buy them later.

And war on Shikieiki.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Komachi. Is. Adorable. I involuntarily went "aww..." when I saw her picture.

But I'm a little annoyed that they went for the portrayal of Shikieiki where she does nothing but kvetch at people. I know she's canonically described as preachy, but it is possible to give a person guidance without being completely insufferable, and she actually seems to do a pretty good job of that in her Phantasmagoria of Flower View dialogue.

Now if my math is correct, we currently have enough Ouki to buy out Marisa's entire stock. That could come in handy, might even be more worthwhile than leveling people up with the Ouki.

I vote recruit everybody, take a turn or two to get our ducks in a row and get a quick shopping trip in, then give Shiki a friendly hello devastating opening salvo.
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2010-10-22 at 09:24 AM.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

24. - Top - End - #114

Ok, now that I've played up to this point, I'd say recruit Alice and Co. And buy out Marisa's stock; would be much better to do this first with the +3 neg item.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Banned

Indeed. Komachi is the second most adorable thing in this game, only exceeded by Shanghai. She just looks so cute, especially when she cries which is just wrong.

And Shikieiki isn't really that insufferable in the game. It is probably more that the majority of the inhabitants in Gensokyo are cheerful anarchic and amoral most of the time. The only one she really preach at or actively condemn is Komachi, even Reimu gets softer means used to convince her, despite being a complete sociopath here.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's Play Sengokyo Gensokyo - Day 18-19

Spoiler
    Show
    Utilizing every single character over the course of two days, we develop twice on each day, while still dedicating just enough units to the task of recruiting Alice and her dolls.

Reimu: Hmm...I wonder what I should say.

With Alice's considerable skill as a magician, she would no doubt enhance the army's warpower...But after that incident with marisa, it was always going to be hard to speak with her.

Alice: Oh my...What would you be here for?

Wah!

Oh, come on. I'm not a ghost, you know.

No, well, I'm, uh...

It was only a short time after Alice's team had been conquered, but she was already back to her usual self. At the very least, she showed no traces of her argument with Marisa.

...You look disappointed somehow. Well, never mind that. What are you here for?

Ahh, right, right...Uh, do you want to fight together with me, maybe?

...That wasn't particularly persuasive, you know.

Well, I kinda feel like I'm stepping around broken glass here, with that argument between you two and all...

I lost to you all anyway...I don't exactly have the right to refuse.

Um...It's okay if you don't want to.

......It's fine, I'll join. Things will only get tougher from now on, and I doubt you two alone can stand up to it. I'll lend you my strength.

Alice's expression returned to normal as she underlined her resolve.

Well then, let's do our best...Ahh, I should say a little something to that girl, too...Reimu, you don't have to looked so relieved.

...In that case, there's one more matter to settle...

After confirming Alice's position on the matter, Reimu waved Marisa over. She had been lurking further back the whole time.

Marisa: Hey Alice.

Marisa...I'm really sorry about what happened the other day. I wasn't thinking and ended up going too far.

Hey hey, this ain't like you at all. I ain't one to care about people "goin' too far" anyway, so don't worry 'bout it. After all...it was partly my fault too. I said some pretty hurtful things.

...In that case, since we'll be allies from now on, let's do our best.

Right. I'm countin' on ya.

The two managed to reconcile and return back to normal. With that grudge settled, both hoped that no other problems would occur...

Alice Margatroid became an ally.

After losing to Reimu's army, the Shanghai Doll did not go back to her master, and instead remained at the forest. Yet, she delightedly jumped into Alice's arms at the mere sight of her.

Alice: Now now, didn't I tell you to make sure you come home safely?

Shanghai: ......*tremble tremble*

You don't have to worry so much...I lost to them too, after all.

Reimu: Hey, don't leave me in the dark.

Oh, I'm sorry. The little one here was just feeling a little depressed, that's all.

It seemed that the doll was created to be able to function even without her master around. Though with the way she leapt into Alice's arms, she didn't seem like anything more than a little kid.

Hmm, it's kinda weird though. You're controlling that doll after all, so...

Mm? Did you say something?

Oh, no I didn't.

Alright then. This little one will be joining the army with me as well.

......*nod nod*

The Shanghai Doll's hands fell to her skirt as she performed a small curtsy.

Shanghai Doll became an ally.

Alice: Hourai, have you been well?

Hourai: ............

After losing to Reimu's army, Hourai did not return to her master, but instead sat at a deserted area of the forest lifelessly. Alice took the doll into her arms and hugged it tightly.

Reimu: ...Hey, this doll seems really creepy. I can't tell what it's thinking at all. It doesn't react when you talk to it either.

How rude, this girl is just a little reticent, that's all. Right, Hourai?

See? She smiled just now.

Alice called her reticent, yet none of her dolls could talk. Alice said she had smiled, yet Reimu didn't see it at all.

...Sorry, I didn't catch it.

Geez, look more properly next time...Anyway, Hourai, you'll be coming to Reimu's army with me, so make sure you do your best.

............*nod*

Ah, it moved!

In the end, all Reimu could think of was making sure that Hourai wouldn't be staring at her silently at her bedside while she slept...

Hourai Doll became an ally.

Turn: 19
    Ouki: 12489
    Ryumaku: 22/46
    Actions Available: 2

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Enemy Territories:

Human Village
    Army: Human Village Corps
    General: Keine Kamishirasawa (leader)
    Defense: 310/310

Road of Reconsideration
    General: Komachi Onozuka
    Defense: 190/190

Muenzuka
    General: Shikieiki Yamaxanadu (leader)
    Defense: 215/215

Special Events Available:

Declare War: Human Village Corps
    9 NEG is required to declare war.

Declare War: Higan Guard
    10 NEG is required to declare war.

Characters:

It looks like most people have decided on targetting the Higan Guard first. My question is, what do we do on this turn? Declare war? Attack? Develop? Buy out Marisa's stock of items (or maybe not all)? Or should we use up some of that ouki on levels?

Hourai is watching you while you sleep.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-10-22 at 10:28 PM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, Hourai isn't that bad. Reminds me of a nice, cheery platformer I played once.

I SEE YOU.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

At least Alice dialogue when you recruit Hourai is really fun.

And i say that we go to war immediately and get to fighting Komachi. I don't really think there is much need to wait around at the moment.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

At least Alice dialogue when you recruit Hourai is really fun.

And i say that we go to war immediately and get to fighting Komachi. I don't really think there is much need to wait around at the moment.
    I don't know, the attack-boosting items from the store are remarkably helpful. Defense-boosters aren't half bad either.

Wait, what? What's a "negotiate"?
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-10-23 at 03:41 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

30. - Top - End - #120
    Banned

Negotiate is something you need to declare war and recruit people. Kinda useful, really.