New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Conquering the Fantasy Kitchen Sink - Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo!

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Negotiate is something you need to declare war and recruit people. Kinda useful, really.
    Sorry, it was a joke on the whole overly battle-centric thing. I finished the game, so I know what the stat is
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

I know and i realized that my attempt to go along with it was too subdued to be recognized. Just didn't get around to editing before you had already written a reply.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

I say we buy at least Reimu & Marisa to L9 and DoW the Higan Guard.
    I'm slightly dissapointed with the whole limited stock thing with the shop. Makes sense in-game, but i was so looking forwards to farming stat peelz . So whether we assault Komachi or go shopping with the last action is fine either way. Might also consider bumping the rest of the top assault team a level or two.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think we need to develop any more just yet, since we're not even at half our Ryumaku limit yet. I'd go ahead with everything else though.

If we went and bought everything from Marisa, it'd cost 7500 Ouki, leaving us with about 5000 left. I don't know if we really need to get everything, but I did and I don't have any complaints yet. If we can spare it, we could also go ahead and level up some of our army.

As for actions this turn, I vote for declaration and attack. The first fight will probably be no challenge for the army, and we should have enough units to defend if they counterattack (or at least lessen the loss). Next turn, we could buy everything from Marisa, and then launch another attack after.

And I also have a question: Are those stat-raising pills really worth it? 4500 Ouki for +1 in a stat doesn't seem like it'd be worth it, and I'm already spending most of my Ouki on improving my units. Should I still go and get them as soon as possible, or wait until I have more money (I'm typically in the 5000-8000 range per turn)?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    And I also have a question: Are those stat-raising pills really worth it? 4500 Ouki for +1 in a stat doesn't seem like it'd be worth it, and I'm already spending most of my Ouki on improving my units. Should I still go and get them as soon as possible, or wait until I have more money (I'm typically in the 5000-8000 range per turn)?
    So worth it if you can spare the cash. I mean, it depends on the stat. But for stuff like attack and defense where one point makes all the difference? Excellent.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

We could just sit and develop until the costs exceed 18 for all the territories, use some of the money that piles up to get characters that are going to last until endgame within 1 level of each other, then buy a few items with whatever we have left.

Yes, we're not anywhere near the cap yet but (going by sengoku rance mechanics), costs will probably rise as people level, meaning you have to worry about not only the cost of new characters, but the current cost increasing proportional to the number of characters you have. I don't really know at what point this game will start to get moving, but once it does we might not have the luxury of sitting and developing anymore.
    Last edited by FLOOR_MASTER; 2010-10-23 at 01:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Banned

Also though it doesn't relate to the current choice we face, let me say this. Playing this game has completely changed my view of Alice. I never cared much about her, finding her pretty uninteresting, both in her canon portrayal or the heavily tsundere fan portrayal. However, she is my favorite character in this game by quite a fair margin. She's hilarious when talking to her dolls and i like her general personality and how she deals with her fellow magicians. And in a wider sense, it makes me wonder if i just haven't seen the right works with her in up until now. So if anybody have any recommendations for doujins and anything else with Alice, i wouldn't mind hearing them, simply to see if Sengoku Gensokyo is unique in making her a character i care for or not.

It has also made me see much more personality in the Prismriver Sisters and Medicine, all of whom were rather flat characters without much personality otherwise. I'm not sure there is much else with them, but i did find Medicine's character development and how she relates to Yuuka here really nice, and the Prismrivers are just cute and funny.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FLOOR_MASTER View Post
    We could just sit and develop until the costs exceed 18 for all the territories, use some of the money that piles up to get characters that are going to last until endgame within 1 level of each other, then buy a few items with whatever we have left.

Yes, we're not anywhere near the cap yet but (going by sengoku rance mechanics), costs will probably rise as people level, meaning you have to worry about not only the cost of new characters, but the current cost increasing proportional to the number of characters you have. I don't really know at what point this game will start to get moving, but once it does we might not have the luxury of sitting and developing anymore.
    I'd consider the game to be "moving" once capture of the Human Village is completed. Once that's done, you've got potential armies and attacks coming at you from multiple sides at almost all times until you finish conquering most of Gensokyo.

That said, my experience with spending turns to develop has left me thinking that it might not be the smartest idea. I actually did that during my first attempt at the game once I beat the Forest of Magic, since no one was attacking. Apparently those "fractions of a level" gained by enemy units each turn really do get noticeable. By the time I was done developing all of my territories to a Res of 21+ and started war with Higan, their mooks were about level 10 (12 for Komachi), with my army's highest being 8. The fact that I was also several turns behind for finishing the Forest might have been a factor too though (about 5 turns longer).

For reference, I skipped the developing in my second run, and Higan's units were 6-7, a difference of being on turn 35 vs turn 20. The level gain won't be as bad as mine was, since we'd only be on about turn 25 after developing. However, the enemies might still be tougher; easier battles would mean easier and larger margins of victory; huge wins would lead to easier captures, less turns spent on it, and less Ouki being spent on healing/etc.

I'm not sure if all the Ouki you'd get from sitting and developing would be enough to compensate either, since the game stops you from purchasing experience once you reach certain levels, 9 being one of them. Prices for experience also go up as levels go up (although they might actually go up every 10 levels).

Finally, we could still just develop our smaller territories each turn. If we devote only one team and action to attacking, we'd have another action left for developing with whoever we have left. After all, we still have lots of time and extra Ryumaku to fall back on. And jeez this is a long post.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Haven't read much yet, but wanted to point out...
    Quote Originally Posted by catchthesun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendansa View Post
    There needs to be a Touhou doujin game along the lines of Disgaea, Fire Emblem, or Advance Wars~.
    Off-topic but, apparently, there's one in progress.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_B12Sm_f1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eahQsq7DUhk
    (semi-related)
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-10-23 at 08:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

As this seems to be the thread for it, how do you increase the amount of Ouki you get per turn?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 20

Spoiler
    Show

Komachi had been tasked with patrolling the Road of Reconsideration in addition to her ferrier duties, but since it wasn't supposed to be a leisurely walk, all she could think of was grumbling about her extra work.

Komachi: I really didn't think that Lady Shiki would've agreed to join that game. Is she that free in Higan? Or maybe she's trying to slack off too...

???: Lady Komachi~!

Ack! You've got it wrong, I was definitely not speaking ill behind your...Hm? Oh, you're...Geez, don't scare me like that.

Ghost: The Yama has called for you. She wants you to head for Muenzuka.

Huh, again? What does she want now?

I don't quite know that much...

Oh fine, tell her that I'll be right there.

The ghost went off ahead, and Komachi took a leisurely stroll, following its path. Not hurrying because the ghost didn't particularly say to was very Komachi.

Komachi eventually reached Muenzuka, and found Eiki standing under the purple cherry blossoms waiting for her, just like the other day.

Eiki: Ah, there you are. Although you're a little late.

Komachi: Well, no one told me to hurry, so I didn't. Anyway, what's the matter this time?

Before I explain...Is there nothing you wish to say to me?

Ehhh? Err...What do you mean?

I shall say it one more time. This is absolutely not about slacking off. It is an important professional duty. I am performing my work exactly. Understood?

That ghost told you, huh...

Did you say something?

No no no, not at all. More importantly, what is your order this time?

First of all, read this.

Eiki handed her a piece of writing paper, and Komachi suddenly had a strange sense of deja vu. But unlike the previous time, the contents of the letter this time was very pressurizing.

Is something the matter? You look like one of the living that wandered near the Sanzu River.

No, I'm just not quite sure how to respond to this...Well..."Barf!"?

I do not quite understood your implication.

Never mind that. Is this what I thnk it is? It sure gets straight to the point if so.

Indeed. We have received a declaration of war from the Hakurei shrine maiden. Prepare for battle with them from now on. Take the proper precautions.

She's picking a fight with the Yama who silences crying babies, huh? She really doesn't know what fear is.

The only people who need to fear me are sinners who do not reflect on their misdeeds.

I'm very scared of you too, Lady Shiki.

That would be because of your inability to fulfill your duties. Anyway, that would be the current situation, so do prepare for it.

Yeah yeah, I'll do my best. I'll be going back to my post, then~.

With a short wave and a voice lacking in motivation, Komachi left the area. It was not an attitude to show her superior, but Eiki decided not to scold her for it. There were more urgent matters to take care of.

"Higan Guard" - War has been declared.

Reimu, Marisa, Wriggle, Alice, and Shanghai set off on our first attack at the Road of Reconsideration. Here, they were met by Komachi and a squad of ghosts. The ghosts were of little threat to us, but Komachi herself was a whole different matter.

With the power of her Higan Ferrier skill, Komachi delivered deadly OHKO blows to both Reimu and Wriggle, taking them from near full health to zero instantly. Our surviving members fought bravely and managed to defeat more of our enemies, but our victory wasn't quite as solid as our past experiences. With two characters down and significant damage dealt to us on top of that, this victory certainly came at a cost.

However, we did get a few additional bonuses from this victory. First up was attaining Marisa's first affection bonus.

Secondly, we managed to capture yet another enemy unit.

Mayu was taken prisoner.

Komachi was usually seen slacking off from work, sleeping besides the Sanzu River, or walking off somewhere. But today, she was full of motivation and working seriously to ferry ghosts over.

Komachi: Well, just sitting around might be boring for you, but go ahead and relax till we reach Higan. It's a good time to look back on your life, y'know?

She rowed her boat slowly, as she struck a conversation with her passenger. She wasn't expecting a reply since ghosts can't talk, yet she continued on with her one-sided conversation.

I'm not sure if you knew, but the fee you paid to board this ferry was all the money you had on hand. That's the rule here. Sometimes, I get some weirdos who try to hide their money and carry it over. Do you know what happens to them?

She asked the ghost a question, but all it could do in reply was tremble. Meanwhile, Komachi simply kept talking.

Whoops, that's right, you can't talk yet. You'll be a ghost till you arrive at Higan and receive judgment from the Yama. Who knows what you'll be after that. But for now, if you have something you want to say, just think about it deep in your heart. I'll shorten the distance to your heart and hear your voice.

...Mm, yep, just like that. What'd happen? Well...It'll be something like this.

Komachi grabbed a stone at her feet, and threw it a short distance away from the ferry and into the water. Shortly after, a fish several times bigger than the ferry appeared, rocking the boat heavily.

Whoa whoa...That was a li'l dangerous. Anyway, that's what would happen. Even if you don't use your money here, you can't use it across the river either. As far as I can tell, you're not that type of ghost, so don't worry. You've got a pretty good voice in your heart too.

So anyway, uh...What were we talking about again? Ferriage, was it? Right, the amount of money you have in your life and after death actually changes. Yours is about normal. Not too large, yet not too small...You had a pretty quiet life, huh? I guess that means you may have died a li'l too early, but you can't do much about dying. Unless you committed suicide of course.

Hm? What's up? ...Ahh, I see. You're worried about the judgment, huh?

The ghost trembled further as its response. Its voice could only be heard by Komachi.

Ahaha, you don't have to be so worried. You won't be eaten or get your tongue cut off or anything. As long as you're honest, you won't be sent to hell either.

Komachi continued chatting with the ghost as the ferry advanced slowly across the wide river. Higan still was not visible yet.

We're about halfway across now. Since you're dead and all, let's take it slowly. I'd love to here more from you as well. What do I want you to talk about? Anything will do, really. I always enjoy hearing ghosts talk about their life experiences anyway.

...Ooh, a girl who you had a crush on but rejected you? Ahahahaha, I'm all ears!

...Komachi didn't slack off because she hated her work. In fact, she loved talking with ghosts over all sorts of things as a ferrier. That's why she never planned to change even when Eiki said that she worked too slowly.

Marisa: Heeeey!

Marisa called out from overhead, flying on her trademark broom. She slowly hovered downards, until she landed right in front of Reimu.

Reimu: Good afternoon. Nice weather today, isn't it?

Ohh, what's the occasion?

What are you talking about?

Your entirely too normal greetin' confused the heck outta me.

Oh come on, my greetings are always normal.

Well, maybe. I thought the Yama got angry at you about somethin' or other again.

Why would she be? I am a noble, virtuous and modest shrine maiden who conducts herself impeccably after all.

I see ya already got your defense all thought up.

Whatever. We're going up against the Yama next how would you feel then if you're so scared of her now?

Scared? Hah, that's a real good joke, I've got nothin' to be scared of. I don't do anythin' wrong after all.

Then what would that bag you're carrying be, pray tell?

Things I discovered from some ancient ruins.

...Is that what they call it these days?

Turn: 20
    Ouki: 11843
    Ryumaku: 22/46
    Actions Available: 2

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Night-Blind Road
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180
    Cost to Develop: 12 RES

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Enemy Territories:

Human Village
    Army: Human Village Corps
    General: Keine Kamishirasawa (leader)
    Defense: 310/310

Road of Reconsideration
    Army: Higan Guard
    General: Komachi Onozuka
    Defense: 106/190

Muenzuka
    General: Shikieiki Yamaxanadu (leader)
    Defense: 215/215

Special Events Available:

Declare War: Human Village Corps
    9 NEG is required to declare war.

Prisoners:

Mayu - Decent at far range, well-rounded defenses. Low RES and NEG.
    Special: Insult, removes stat buffs from one target.

Komachi may well be the most likable character in this entire game. A pity that Higan Ferrier never works like that for me. I'm currently using her as one of my main attackers in my hard mode playthrough. Speaking of hard mode, I finally completed the game today and unlocked the secret bonus boss, who is easily 1-shotting everyone I have and takes nearly no damage from my attacks. Time to level grind another 50 levels! <3 Koakuma for boss fights.

Unless other suggestions are made, I think the next turn will involve purchasing equipment and attacking the Road of Reconsideration again.

@ Memnarch:
    The amount of Ouki earned per turn grows as you develop and gain more Ryumaku.

@ Terraoblivion:
    Not sure if you've completed the game yet, but I'll say that as much as I liked Alice throughout the game, I liked her even more in the ending. She's definitely one of the most plot-relevant characters in the game, along with Shikieiki (who plays a big role in the extra boss battle).
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-10-24 at 01:40 AM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

12. - Top - End - #132
    Banned

I haven't completed any post-game content, but i have completed the main game itself. And Alice definitely is important throughout the game. In general i'd say that the most important characters in the game appear to be Reimu, Marisa, Yukari, Alice and Shikieiki. The last one obviously being the most surprising.

And shopping and attacking seems like the proper course of action. Hopefully Komachi will be less successful with Higan Ferrier this time around. Shame about having to beat her up though, she's so adorable and seems to have a hard enough time already. She needs cheering up and a more supportive work environment!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

That Ghost actually isn't half-bad for a random capture. Its ability could come in handy later during Leader battles to get rid of those partner stat boosts, and it can still attack too. If you've got spare units, I'd say recruit Mayu.

No other suggestions for next turn though. What you have in mind sounds good.

The only times I actually got hit by Higan Ferrier were when Komachi decided to use it successfully twice in a row during my fight with Shikieiki. That battle didn't go so well... It's a shame you couldn't lower RoR's defense a bit more so you could capture it next turn, but eh, what can you do?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

For some reason, I only got around to reading through this now, but I shall avidly follow from now on. Also, because it fits the occasion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsBgCYL9Dn8

As for tactics, buying and attacking seems sound enough. I assume you can equip items the same turn you buy them?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    For some reason, I only got around to reading through this now, but I shall avidly follow from now on. Also, because it fits the occasion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsBgCYL9Dn8

As for tactics, buying and attacking seems sound enough. I assume you can equip items the same turn you buy them?
    Yep you can. However, you can't equip or un-equip things from units that have already acted that turn until the next turn, so you have to be certain before you do any actions.

16. - Top - End - #136

Hang on, I've got a couple of quick questions:

1) Are you seriously at war with this setting's equivalents of Charon and Anubis?

2) So, what's with the ominous black blob with the giant eye in the southwest of the map? Are you going to war with that, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Hang on, I've got a couple of quick questions:

1) Are you seriously at war with this setting's equivalents of Charon and Anubis?

2) So, what's with the ominous black blob with the giant eye in the southwest of the map? Are you going to war with that, too?
    1. Pretty much.

2. It's the area of the character who launched the game. Not yet, but will be in the future.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

18. - Top - End - #138

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 21-22

Spoiler
    Show
    Mayu became an ally.

After buying out Marisa's stock of items, we launch further attacks on the Road of Reconsideration over two turns. Targetting Komachi with full force each time, we were ready to take her down without any complications like before.

No casualties, and a strong victory with minimal damage taken on our part.

Our next battle was a little tougher. This time, Komachi did find the opportunity to strike with Higan Ferrier. Luck was on our side, though, and we emerged unscathed.

In the end, we managed to take the Road of Reconsideration. One more act of development ends the turn.

Komachi: Lady Shiki! They beat me...

Eiki: ......

...You're angry, huh?

Did you go easy on them?

Of course not, I always do my best for everything...as long as it's not too hard.

*sigh* ...If that was really true, then I would have learned to expect more from your work.

If I REALLY try my hardest, I might be able to do better than usual, but it isn't something that can be sustained. That's why I'm always going at normal power. I can keep going for longer periods that way too.

Is your usual procrastination of work part of your normal power output as well?

Er, no, that's just...stamina recovery.

My goodness...You use a little too many excuses. It appears you have not heeded my warning to correct yourself.

Wahh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!

...Let's leave that for another time. What's done is done. You shall now deploy along with me.

Ehhh!?

You will also continue your ferrying work.

Ehhh!?

That should not be something to be surprised over!

Ah, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!!

Muenzuka was a place where purple cherry blossoms fell, and released the deceased from their doubts and wanderings. On a normal year, the cherry blossoms would have stopped falling, yet they continue to bloom. It was a place where humans dare not wander. Yet, Eiki's lone figure stood there solemnly. Her stoic expression hid what she was thinking, yet seemed even more dignified under the hail of cherry blossoms.

Eiki: Reincarnation, where spirits free from the ties that bind them arrive before me...No, they would be ferried across the river first. Yet, there are those who die without relatives, or those who cannot cross the river. If they were still alive, perhaps I would have judged their sins then.

Yama generally only judge the spirits of the dead. However, Eiki's character led her to search for those before her eyes who still had a chance, and attempt to cleanse their sins before they die and go to hell. When one who bore such a heavy sin was so close to her, she would not be able to pretend not to notice it.

It has still gone unnoticed...If she does not learn to appreciate the ones around her, such a large sin will surely crush her after she dies. It would be best if she could be made aware of this matter. Yet...

A swirl of anxiety can force one to hide their heart. Even a Yama may not be able to do anything for a single persistant spirit like that. But even so, Eiki would not just leave it as that.

This would surely be how she intends to resolve her fears regarding youkai. Moderation is indeed important, but no one can truly live alone. If that is something that she will only realize on her deathbed...Then I must correct her before that happens.

She was not talking to anyone, or expecting anyone to listen. She simply spoke to herself as she looked up to the sky, obscured by cherry blossoms. The bewildering colours were a mirror of what she now felt.

Turn: 22
    Ouki: 6259
    Ryumaku: 23/50

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance
    Cost to Develop: 12 RES

Magic Forest Border
    Cost to Develop: 21 RES

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration
    Defense: 190/190
    Cost to Develop: 9 RES

Enemy Territories:

Human Village

Muenzuka
    General: Shikieiki Yamaxanadu (leader)

I wasn't going to say anything until we've committed to our attack on the Higan Guard, but I know from experience that if you declare war on the Human Village first, you'll quickly get a cutscene where Shikieiki condemns the attack on the village as unjust and immediately declares war on you.

In other (somewhat related, given the plot) news, I beat the game's bonus boss today!

Spoiler
    Show

Barely managed to snag the win at my level, but it was so sweet. The fight is absolutely epic, with seven increasingly difficult phases, a sweet remix, and a spectacular ending.

This will make an awesome epilogue. But that will take a while...
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-10-25 at 02:09 AM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

19. - Top - End - #139
    Banned

I look forward to reading that, though. It should be interesting and i'll be honest, as much as i love this game i doubt i have the patience to grind my way to being able to take on that boss. So it will be nice to see someone else do the hard work. I can't help but wonder who it is, being that much more powerful than the likes of Yukari.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    I can't help but wonder who it is, being that much more powerful than the likes of Yukari.
    Cirno.

What? It's obvious.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

21. - Top - End - #141

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 23-26

Spoiler
    Show
    We set out to take Muenzuka, and are first met with Komachi and a squad of ghosts. This was nothing new to us by now, and we walk all over them.

Wriggle's Eternal Night Hermit ability was on overdrive in this fight, triggering every single time she attacked and causing significant extra damage throughout the course of the fight. We score a smashing victory here.

Of course, things were going to get tougher from here on out. The Yama herself now steps onto the stage, and commands our full attention. Cue boss music.

BGM: Fate of Sixty Years ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

Shikieiki possesses incredible ranged attack and wisdom scores, making ranged combat against her a fruitless endeavor. Komachi stood in our way at first, preventing our melee characters from advancing further to attack her boss. However, our magicians pummel Komachi quickly, allowing Shanghai and Wriggle to give Shikieiki a good thrashing.

Our victory celebration was cut short by a counterattack at Muenzuka, though. Thankfully, we had just enough spare characters ready to field a group for defense. However, it's the first time some of these guys have seen battle, so things were tough.

Our backup squad fought hard, but even against just a group of mooks, things didn't go too well. With a meager damage output, we were only able to somewhat match them blow for blow, but since our enemies had a large advantage in the battle guage due to fighting on their own territory, breaking even wasn't a winning strategy.

Despite some last-minute healing on Hourai's part, we still end the fight in the red and lose a significant chunk of the damage we had dealt to Muenzuka's defenses thus far. This sets us back at least a turn, as it ensures that we could not capture it on the next turn.

Even with this setback, though, we continue to press onwards. The next day, we saw battle once again with Shikieiki and Komachi. However, things were even tougher this time.

Making liberal use of her special ability, Shikieiki kept Shanghai and Wriggle paralyzed for much of the fight. Only by sneaking Reimu in close to Shikieiki were we able to deal respectable damage to her.

Our last confrontation was the closest one yet. Due to difficulty in obtaining and maintaining an advantageous position relative to our foes, our damage output seemed less than optimal this time around.

With our last ounce of strength, we were able to just barely nudge the battle guage in our favor. Thanks to a couple of lucky misses by the Yama's special ability in those final turns, we were able to preserve our sliver of a lead all the way to the end.

Komachi: Oof...What do we do now?

The Reimu-led Army had pressured Komachi and Eiki's army to the point of no return. With the forces they had remaining, defeat was inevitable.

Eiki: .........

Well, like they say, uh, how does it go? "You win some, you lose some", was it?

.........Komachi.

Wah, y-yes, what can I do for you?

Escape now before Reimu and the rest appear.

Wha?

Komachi, not expecting Eiki's astounding order, was completely flabbergasted by it. The possibility of it being a joke came to her mind, but she realized that Eiki was not the type to tell jokes or lies.

If that is your order, I shall carry it out. But...why?

A superior must take responsibility for her subordinates.

But Lady Shiki, it wasn't my fault that we lost...

...I am presenting you with a new duty. Join another army...Any one you can find, and stand up against Reimu once again.

Her answer this time was even more incomprehensible than the last.

Uh, well...If that's what you want, then fine...but why do that again?

That would be because...Hm, they are coming. Hurry up and leave.

Ah, yeah yeah...Um, Lady Shiki?

Yes?

Well, what about the Sanzu River and all...

Is it not obvious?

...Take care, Lady Shiki!

Right at the same time that Komachi left, Reimu's army appeared in front of Eiki.

Reimu: Here you are. Are you resigned to your fate? Your loss is surely guaranteed by now.

It appears so, indeed. I shall accept our defeat.

How honest, just as I expected of the Yama...Hm? Where did your amazingly hard-working underling go?

She is not an underling. She is my subordinate.

They're the same thing. Don't tell me she's slacking off again.

You have been quite rude the whole time. Perhaps you need another lecture.

Ahh, I'm sorry! Anything but that! Well, anyway, victory is mine. I'll be returning to the shrine, then.

(I have played my part...I shall now observe from within. Has she noticed? Has she realized? Reimu, all beings that are alive...cannot live alone.)

Eiki stood as a single purpole cherry blossom fell, asking questions in her heart that no one could answer.

"Higan Guard" has fallen.
    Yamaxanadu Eiki Shiki has been taken prisoner.

Turn: 26
    Ouki: 10877
    Ryumaku: 23/56

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance
    Cost to Develop: 15 RES

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration

Muenzuka
    Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Enemy Territories:

Human Village

Prisoners

Shikieiki - Exceptional RNG, WIS, and NEG scores. Ability is a bit unreliable, but her ranged offense alone is fantastic.
    Special: Yama's Judgment, may stun and/or debuff one target.

Kirisame Shop

New items for sale:

(3500 Ouki) Hurricane Wing - Raises SPD by 2, decreases DEF by 1, increases Cost by 1.

(8000 Ouki) Natural Barrier - Raises HP by 200, increases Cost by 2.

Not much of a choice in who to attack right now, but the real question is when. We can move in immediately, or wait a few turns and develop to build up our Ouki supplies. The big draws to the latter option are the new items we could buy. The Hurricane wing offers a large boost to SPD, but it's hard to justify raising speed instead of MEL/RNG, so it's best used on characters with already high offense. The Natural Barrier, though, is just plain amazing. 200 HP is an enormous boost at our levels, and will remain a significant item for pretty much the entire game.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Buy those two. Add Shikieiki to the team because, well, she's practically a walking nuke. A preachy nuke, but still.

And yes, since you can take your time with the human village, I suggest you do so. Frankly, you could develop indefinitely and still steamroll them just as easily when the time comes (after all, they only add mooks). To my knowledge, the human village never attacks until you declare war on them first. So really, it's the one point in the game where you can take as long as you want. Why not make (excessive) use of the opportunity and develop-spam up to an absurd amount?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

23. - Top - End - #143

Agreed, let's at least bring Higan's lands up to par with the rest. So cram as much development into the update as possible .
    Pick both items too, Shikieiki has the Dakka to make use of the speed, no?
    Recruiting the Yama is an obvious pick too, though i'm beginning to wonder if the game's story would react to not recruiting anyone, just pushing through with Reimu & Co?
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

I'd say:

Recruit Yamaxanadu.
    Buy those two items.
    Build up the two territories next to the human village once each.
    Then attack!
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Agreed. Recruit Eiki, buy stuff, then develop until you have reason to do something else or everyone gets bored. Maybe level some characters if you have the Ouki to spare.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-10-26 at 04:00 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Banned

Buy the stuff and do some development, but not too much. That would just get boring. Also i don't know if i'm unique, but i found Keine and Aya to be quite tricky, so letting them get too many levels might not be a good idea.

27. - Top - End - #147

Not quite unique, Aya gave me quite a bit of trouble since i assumed that she would have a solid ranged defense like Eiki.
    Once i started to shoot her down on sight, it got a bit easier. Still, the high firepower, stupid speed and instant 'Get Out of Melee' special are a hassle do deal with.

As far as boring goes, we don't necessarily need turn-by-turn updates, only those where major decisions can be made + cutscenes, so 10+ develops can be just passed off with a simple summary. It's not like there's a intense action montage included in it .
    Besides, even if Keine/Aya do pick up some levels, we can just wail on the enemy mooks with Marisa/Eiki/Shanghai to win battles. And Aya isn't very durable anyway.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

We could take the time to just develop now, but we probably don't want to do that for too long what with the level gaining and all. I personally thought Aya was was a huge pain, but if you have a strategy in mind that works against her, developing might not be bad in the long run.

For the rest of the decisions, I pretty much agree with everyone else. I'd still limit the number of turns spent on developing though. Maybe just develop until we get enough money to buy those two items, recruit Shikieiki, and build up a good amount of Ouki for healing/leveling/etc again. You could also try develop-spamming while leveling up units with Ouki to compensate for enemy levels, but I'm not sure how well that would go.

Also, are the shop inventories generated randomly? Cause I didn't get either of those items from restocks.

29. - Top - End - #149

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 27-29

Spoiler
    Show
    Reimu: Can I speak with you for a second?

Eiki: ...I've been waiting for you, Reimu.

Huh...?

Reimu had originally came back here to convince Eiki to serve under her army, but the sense of seriousness and dignity that emanated from her made Reimu feel overawed.

hey, what's with the atmosphere here...And you were waiting for me?

Let me ask you a question, Reimu Hakurei. What have you gained from this game that Yukari Yakumo proposed?

What have I gained...? That's not a question I can answer when it's thrown at me out of the blue...

Then I shall change my question. Why did you come here?

Well, I wanted you to become our ally...

And what does that mean to you?

Uh...That means I want your power to...Geez! I didn't come to play 20 Questions!

Your words bring forth no sense of importance, or emergent feelings. I shall ask again. What are allies to you?

Allies...I'm still not sure how to answer that. I guess an ally is just someone who I fight alongside?

Eiki's stern face grew more and more grim. Was she disappointed with Reimu's answer? Or perhaps remembering her behavior before? Of course, Reimu had no clue herself.

What's with that scary face?

...It seems you still need some time.

What are you going on about now?

Very well, I shall join you as your so-called "ally". From here on, I shall view the future by your side.

Huh...? W-Well, if that means you're joining up, then that's fine, I suppose...

Is something the matter? Did you not come to persuade me to join in the first place?

Well, I did, but...Bah, this is too annoying to think about. Whatever, let's just work well together.

Did she not agree to it, or did she not understand it? Whichever the case was, the disheveled Reimu then went back. Eiki watched her disappear into the fog with sadness in her eyes.

Eiki's words, aimed at no one in particular, were simply swallowed up by the gusting winds.

Yamaxanadu Eiki Shiki became an ally.

The sun had fallen at the completely unpopular Hakurei Shrine, where a lone figure could be seen. The figure cast its gaze all around it, then eventually called out to the still air.

Eiki: ...I know you are there. Would you please come out?

???: .......

I do not have the time to play hide and seek with you, I'm afraid.

[color="purple]......My, I suppose I should've hid myself a little better.[/color]

The voice seemed to come from nowhere, but it was quickly accompanied by a crack in the space around Eiki, and a purple-coloured figure emerged in front of her eyes.

Yukari: Good evening, how do you do?

That does not sound pleasant coming from you.

That's awfully mean to say, don't you think?

...Shall we move on to the main topic?

Yukari wire a mischievous smile, but the atmosphere was clearly different from the mask she wore. However, eiki remained unperturbed, staring straight at her with a firm expression.

...Such a direct, unswaying and pure gaze you have. Certainly one befitting of a Yama.

Yet, even that is not enough to fully understand you. No matter how direct my gaze is, it eventually becomes swallowed up by a gap, and never reaches you.

The boundary of the heart can't be crossed so easily, I'm afraid...Speaking of which, have you managed to cross the boundary of that girl's heart?

...If such a boundary that could be overcome existed, I suspect it would be for the better.

Ahh, just as I thought...

She looked up to the heavens with a sigh upon hearing her expectations had been met. She had an air of disappointment, but she did not seem even the slightest bit discouraged.

I was honestly quite surprised to receive your letter. Your fears are not unfounded, indeed. However...I did not expect you to worry about it to such an extent.

My, I would do everything for my cute little girl.

So that is your reason for this massive undertaking?

That would be half of it. The other half, well...It's good to have some fun every now and then, don't you think?

...Very well. It certainly has not gone according to your scheme, though.

That girl's blood ensure that she shall resolve incidents and protect the barrier. Thus, she must be moderate and not let outside influences affect her. So to be safe, she must make sure that heart is never swayed...But I believe she's taken the meaning of that too far. She may look normal when communicating with several different types of humans and youkai...But she never opens her heart to any of them.

Family, lovers, friends, the people one meets in life...Not realizing the vast amounts of power she draws from them is terribly sinful. At this rate, she may no longer fall under my jurisdiction once her life is at an end...So I would like to correct her before that happens, but...

*sigh*...This is quite a bother. Half the reason I thought this game up would be meaningless at this rate. Perhaps I need to show her a bit of pain.

I will not accept any needlessly violent acts.

Of course...But if we leave the situation as it is, she may stay a loner always. Being strong enough to do anything alone is perhaps the worst possible sorrow.

...I have one question. Why are you so relentless in your support of her?

Hmm...Well. I've been doing it for countless generations...

[i]As she spoke, Yukari's gaze seemed to wander beyond Eiki and into the distance beyond. Just as she was about to continue, sounds started to emanate from within the shrine.

My, it seems it's about time for me to withdraw. I shall see you again. Farewell.

She stretched her arm out to the sky, and the sky opened similar to how she entered. Her figure quickly vanished into the gap. The one who created the sounds appeared just as the gap was disappearing.

Reimu: Gah, you were so loud with all your suspicious talking just now!

Good evening. Were you woken up?

It's not evening anymore, geez. Why were you and Yukari talking so secretively about anyway? I saw her going off just now after all.

When you have lived for a long time, you find all sorts of topics to converse about.

Hmm...Well, whatever. I can't sleep with all the noice you two made though, so keep it quiet, please.

That will not be a problem. I was about to leave myself...You do not care to know what we were talking about, I take it?

I'm not particularly interested. And besides, even if I asked, you wouldn't tell me anyway, right?

...I suppose that is true. I shall be leaving then. Good night.

...Weirdo.

Eiki turned around and flew into the sky of darkness. The day where the wishes of her and Yukari were to be granted seemed very far away.

Turn: 29
    Ouki: 6694
    Ryumaku: 30/61

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path
    Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border
    Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration

Muenzuka
    Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Enemy Territories:

Human Village

Marisa's stock of items have been bought out, and we've developed 5 times as well (I tend to develop higher cost territories first). I guess we're just about ready to take on our next opponents.

Shikieiki is not required for beating the game, but recruiting her does begin a lengthy sideplot that's arguably more relevant than the main plot itself. It stretches across quite a few cutscenes, and truly ends with the game's Bonus Boss, who's arguably more fitting for a final boss than the actual final boss. But I really have to learn to stop dropping tidbits and spoilers...

EifieFlare: You are correct in that the game's item inventory seems to be at least partially randomly generated. I remember getting 2 Power Bracer's easily on my first playthough, but only 1 on my second (at least until turn 250). You tend to notice important items like that.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Well, full steam ahead I suppose. Let's declare war on the Human Village and see what we can do! Or just declare and develop again, whatever works.

I'm usually the same when it comes to developing. I always figure that if I can spare the extra units for higher costs now, continued development while reserving some units for defense later on won't be quite as hard.

Maybe shop inventories are pre-determined, as in the added items you can get are determined by the random characters you start with in your army? I don't have any evidence to prove that, but it could happen I guess.