New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Banned

Default Re: Conquering the Fantasy Kitchen Sink - Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo!

Yeah, take over the village and then develop.

Also it's weird to see Aya call herself a youkai rather than a tengu. Given how arrogant the tengu are and all.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Halfling in the Playground

Add another vote for finishing off the village and then (if possible) recruiting Aya and Keine. (Also, many thanks for introducing me to this game, even though it's been eating up far too much of my time [must sleep . . . but first must conquer territory! ] ). Keine is just as much of a tank for your side as she is for the Village - no Redemption Demotion! (WARNING: TV Tropes link, will result in lack of sleep/productivity/life/etc.)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 33

Spoiler
    Show
    Aya: So, what would you wish for, Ms. Keine?

Keine: ...Hm?

The sun had fallen, and the village was covered with the curtain of night. Keine, Aya, and Akyu were wandering aimlessly around the village, deep in conversation.

What do you mean by "wish"?

Akyu: Lady Yukari mentioned that whichever army was left standing at the end would be granted a single wish for anything they want.

...It's obviously just bait to entice people into participating.

What about you, Ms. Akyu? What would you wish for?

Ehh, me? Hm, well...There are many people that I have not had a chance to meet. I would like to befriend them if possible.

Ohh, you're aiming to be Ms. Popularity, I see!

I will not live very long, so...If I befriend a youkai, when I resurrect after a century, I will be able to meet him or her again. I would be very happy if I knew that there were people waiting for me.

My, the mood's quite solemn now. Please do not worry, I will be sure to come flying after your resurrection!

Because it'd be a scoop, right?

Uh-huh, then I can put out an extra and...Hey, you're trying to make it sound like I only do things that benefit me...

Anyway, what would you wish for?

Me? Of course, I want to write more in-depth articles about all sorts of matters and gather data from everyone!

Don't you do that a lot already?

I'm still showing a lot of restraint. From now on, I plan to be even more relentless!

How terrifying...

And what about you, Ms. Keine?

Ehh, me? I...It's a bit hard to answer off the cuff, but...I suppose I'd like the children to listen to my lessons more seriously.

That kind of wish can be granted almost immediately.

What?

I've peeked into your lessons before, although it didn't make for good material. Anyway, with those kind of lessons, of course the children would get bored. You need to make it easier to understand, and more enjoyable too!

Hm...But history is such an important subject...

Well, I think it may be quite hard to understand as well. It's easier for you or myself, but for the children, it's a bit...

Even you, Lady Akyu...? Are my lessons really that boring...?

Keine's head drooped downwards feebly in depression. It was quite a shock for her.

That's why you should make it more interesting and fun. For example, you could suddenly break out into song like a musical!

You could emerge from behind a red curtain.

Ah, that sounds good too. Okay, everyone follow me! "I am a~..."

Ahh, please don't look at me with those creases in your forehead!!

V-Violence is baaaad!

...The next day, Akyu and Aya were seen rubbing painful-looking bumps on their heads.

We meet the forces of the Human Village for one final battle.

BGM: Plain Asia ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

Keine went for a more defensive approach in this fight, giving up her turns in order to boost her party's defense. Normally, this is a good tactic for a tank, as it stops them from taking up the party's action counter and gives more turns to the main attackers. However, at least for the Human Village Corps, Keine's already their second best attacker, so this isn't as effective in this situation.

While Akyu can't do much damage on her own, her special ability lets her cripple a target's defenses. This can be very potent for letting fellow party members score KOs, but once Aya is neutralized, the danger passes. Still, it was important to keep at least a few of them alive to run down the enemy's action counter, lest Keine unfreezes before the battle is up and starts consecutively pounding on us like last time.

Not only did we successfully capture the village, but there just seems to be something about this place when it comes to item drops. We get yet another spoil of war: a Short Sword.

Keine: Ugh...

Akyu: I can't fight anymore~.

Aya: The pen has lost to the sword...

Reimu: This took practically all our strength too, you know.

The human-centric army of the village fought bravely, but resistance was futile against Reimu's group. Reimu herself stood triumphantly in front of the three, who were dejectedly on their knees.

So, I suppose that makes the village mine now.

Why you...I can't lose now...I won't let you do as you want with the village!

Geez, you STILL want to fight?

......No, any further action is pointless...I accept our defeat. But I won't let you lay a finger on the village! Do what you want with me, just...

No, the responsibility was mine to begin with. If you are going to take a head, it should be mine!

I'll most definitely let the whole of Gensokyo know about this shrine maiden's cruel and violent undertakings!

I'm not going to do any of that!

......Eh, you are not going to execute us?

Don't be fooled. The Hakurei shrine maiden conspires with youkai to extort money from innocent humans. She even sometimes uses them as food and...

Hold it! You're suppose to be a journalist, not a fiction writer! Ah geez, this is all too annoying. The village is mine, and you're all prisoners. Got it?

So it's the end...

Please don't eat us~!

Grilled crow isn't tasty in the slightest!

Good grief, I'm NOT going to eat you all!

...Thus, the Human Village fell under Reimu's jurisdiction.

"Human Village Corps" has fallen.
    Keine Kamishirasawa has been taken prisoner.
    Akyu Hieda has been taken prisoner.
    Aya Shameimaru has been taken prisoner.

Akyu: Ah, Ms. Reimu and Ms. Marisa. It has been quite a while since we met like this.

Marisa: We've been meetin' a whole lot I thought.

Ah, I meant in terms of having a normal conversation.

Reimu: I suppose there isn't really any time to drink tea and have a leisurely chat on the battlefield.

So, are ya done with the Gensokyo Chronicles yet?

Ahh, it is not quite complete yet, but I believe the finish line is within sight.

Awesome. Make sure ya write about all the amazin' stuff I've been doin' lately too!

Of course.

Don't forget to write about me either. Anyway, putting that aside for now, I wanted to ask if you would joi-

Certainly.

......Wha?

The Gensoyo Chronicles is still lacking information on Lady Yukari's proposal for this conquering game. I believe this even requires a record to remain of it for my future incarnations, so I shall be glad to assist you for the remainder of its period.

Oh, so basically, ya need more material?

Yes. Please do your best so that I can have excellent data to work with!

Geez...It feels like our roles are reversed...

Akyu Hieda became an ally.

The Yakumo Residence. The house where Yukari Yakumo and her shikigami lived, located somewhere in Gensokyo, but no one knew exactly where. A place where the lady herself awaited visitors from her game.

It was at that Yakumo Residence where Yukari herself was rolling around on her futon, having a casual conversation with her shikigami, Ran Yakumo.

Yukari: Attack~, defend~, and fight~, humans do it for 50 years~, youkai do it for many more.

Ran: You seem to be enjoying yourself quite a bit, Lady Yukari.

I am indeed~, everyone's dancing at my fingertips after all~.

Please don't use such phrases that invite misunderstandings...

Oh? Are you not having fun, Ran?

It places far too much unnecessary work on me.

My, how impertinent. You don't seem to grasp just how important this game is.

Yukari grabbed the parasol at her bedside and began to poke at Ran's legs with it.

Oww...I just meant that since we're joining the game, and have this house as a territory, isn't there a possibility of someone coming to attack us?

Oh, don't worry so much. Yuyuko's group is still in good condition, and Reimu's still far off for the time being.

You also said it's important? You mean there's more to it than you just wanting to kill some time? Don't you feel sorry for those who got sucked in unwillingly?

My, everyone seems to be getting into it quite readily. Though each of them have different reasons for doing so. *yaaawn* Anyway, I'll be taking a nap, so take care of the rest. Good night~.

And with that, Yukari's head dropped back onto the futon. Once she got this way, there was no waking her up until she was good and ready. And if anyone dared to wake her up, the wouldn't like the consequences.

Good grief...Thinking this kind of thing is fun, and scheming up this and that...She must be such an annoyance to living things everywhere.

Ran lowered her head and sighed deeply. Right then, a gap appeared right above her, and a parasol swung out of it to hit Ran on the head.

Oww, please stop, Lady Yukari! I just hope things remain uneventful...*sigh*...It hurts, Lady Yukari!

Ran normally believed that Yukari's actions were never in error...But the complaints that she let slip had earned her a few whacks with a parasol.

The Human Village was now under the control of the Hakurei Army. Reimu and Marisa walked around the area, surveying the territory they had just captured.

Marisa: Alright, the gates of Hell are 'bout to open up.

Reimu: What? Don't say something so ominous.

I told ya before, didn't I? The real thing starts once we take control of the village.

Did you? Well, it's true that we've never been surrounded by enemies to this extent before.

We should hit 'em hard and fast. Get the first strike in, then beat 'em up before we get beaten ourselves!

Marisa got so excited that she started swinging her arms about wildly, and ended up hitting an innocent bystander.

Stop that, it's dangerous.

Yeeouch...Anyway, where are ya plannin' to go first?

We're going to whichever direction gets us to Yukari faster so we can beat her up.

Yeesh, you're still holdin' a grudge 'bout that? You're more spiteful than I thought.

In my line of work, you always return what's given to you tenfold.

Well, if that's what ya want. To do that, we'll hafta get past Hakugyokurou first...But, hmm...

Huh, you're actually thinking carefully about something? That doesn't really fit you.

Such a preposterous comment to make in front of the Hakurei Army's top strategist...Nah. Seriously, it's just that there's somethin' weird going on up north.

Up north? You mean the lake along the way to the Scarlet Devil Mansion? What's going on there?

It's just what I heard, but apparently it's as cold as winter up there right now...but it ain't winter yet.

That place usually is fairly cold to begin with...But being as cold as winter is definitely strange. Another youkai trick, perhaps?

That lake is probably the stronghold of a certain someone too. It shouldn't be anythin' big, but be careful. We have bigger things to worry 'bout anyway.

Right, let's just keep a discreet eye on it...Ahh, using my head too much makes me hungry. Let's get some soba while we're here.

I'll take mine with tempura.

Who said I'm treating you?

Who said they wanted to be treated?

I'll take tofu soba then. The cold tofu goes wonderfully with the hot soba. As for you...I'll treat you to a slice of watermelon.

...Forget it. Especially the bit 'bout the watermelon. I don't need anythin' that reminds me of a certain Oni.

The two of them had their usual, meaningless yet fun conversation, while enjoying the cool breeze.

Turn: 33
    Ouki: 13306
    Ryumaku: 36/68
    Actions Available: 2

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Night-Blind Road
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175
    Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
    Defense: 190/190
    Cost to Develop: 12 RES

Muenzuka
    Defense: 215/215
    Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Human Village
    Defense: 310/310

We've earned ourselves a short reprieve. Some more items became available in the shop, which I added to the first post. We can spend some time to develop and recruit while our enemies start showing up soon. I'm not listing Keine and Aya as prisoners yet, because we're going to be recruiting them ASAP, of course. Akyu was recruited first because she has a low NEG cost and a very high NEG score.

One questions we might as is who to give the Health Pill to. It's a consumable item that permanently increases one character's HP by 80. It goes without saying that we should use it on someone whom we expect to use often this game.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-10-30 at 10:20 PM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

I think we should give the health pill to either Reimu or Marisa, as they have been present in most of the battles. Shiki might be another option. I also wonder if Keine will be kept on the defensive force, or will she cave someone on the offensive?
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

Huh, I never got that cutscene when I fought the Village. I didn't think I beat them that fast... Also, am I the only person who thought Ran looked sort of like a boy in this game?

I vote for giving the HP Pill to a more offensively oriented unit, so that they don't have to worry about their HP falling too much and crippling their attack power. Shiki, Alice, Shanghai, or even Aya might be good choices. And I see we still haven't gotten that Natural Barrier yet, so now might be a good time for it.

As for development, I agree with Inc. about developing the inner territories more. You never know when you might have to lose the Village.

One last thing Mirrinus: You misspelled "Corps" in your intro post. As funny as it is seeing that we beat down a village full of plants, I thought I should point it out.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-10-31 at 12:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    Huh, I never got that cutscene when I fought the Village. I didn't think I beat them that fast...
    On the contrary, if you missed the first cutscene from the latest segment, that means you beat them too fast. I technically shouldn't have gotten it on this run due to beating them in 4 turns, but I threw it in anyway because I like it. (The same thing may occur again against the SDM, as there's an easily-missed cutscene with a special image that doesn't play if you beat them too quickly).

We did purchase the first Natural Barrier. A second one came up for sale.

Thanks for pointing out the spelling mistake. It has been correct.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-10-31 at 12:42 AM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

In regards to who to give the pill to my vote is for Keine, Shikieiki or Aya. At least i found myself using them for longer than Reimu, Marisa and Alice at least, though since i gave preferable treatment to the main chararcters i did try to use the last three more than anybody else.

Also Keine seems to need to learn about more modern styles of teaching and more modern conceptions of history. Then it won't be so boring, but if she just lists battles, great people and dates then it's obvious the kids would be bored...I wonder if i'm supposed to cave myself now.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

I now have the mental image of Keine controting and stretching in an attempt to cave herself stuck in my head.
    She should totally invite old youkai to class and have them tell their own versions of history, so the kids get a second point of view. Like Yukari or Yuyuko.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

Yeah. I do wonder if they would bother doing that, though it would of course give them a chance to brag. Kaguya probably would, she really wants to be useful in human society and doesn't know how. At least if Cage in Lunatic Runagate is to be trusted.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

With Yukari, she'd probably be too lazy. In Yuyuko's case, she might not mind, but I think the problem is more of Keine only letting them into the village over her dead body (or captured spellcards). They didn't exactly make a good first impression in Imperishable Night.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-10-31 at 05:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #191

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 34-35

Spoiler
    Show
    Keine: ...Alright, I'll join.

Reimu: Huh?

The two of them weren't that different in the end, but Keine still agreed far quicker than Reimu had expected.

What's with that look on your face?

Uh, well, I didn't think you'd agree to fighting alongside us so easily.

...Normally, I would object to this whole matter and not participate, indeed...But I have things I must ascertain for myself.

What things?

That youkai known as Yukari Yakumo...She must have some hidden agenda to have come up with this "game" so suddenly. At this stage, it's impossible to tell what she's planning, and I cannot allow the village...no, I cannot allow Gensokyo to be harmed by her plotting.

Hmm, I think you're overestimating her. She loves to get everyone involved in her little games for the most meaningless of reasons.

I would be glad if that were the case. And to confirm that for myself, I'll help you all out for now.

I still think you're worrying too much about it...But as long as you're joining us, whatever works for you. Let's work well together.

Keine Kamishirasawa became an ally.

Marisa: Yo, looks like I'm the winner!

Aya: What are you saying? I may have lost the fight, but I certainly haven't lost to you as an individual!

A loss is a loss. You're just makin' excuses.

A-Absolutely not! A famous and gracious crow tengu like myself would never resort to making frivolous excuses!

Then just accept it already.

Ugh...

A-C-C-E-P-T I-T.

Ooh...You're really persistent for a human.

I ain't gonna pay that much attention when it comes from one of the proudest tengu I know.

Really, is being rude the only thing you know how to do?

Reimu: ...Ahem, may I speak?

Reimu interjected into the quarrel between the two.

Ahh, I'm sorry. That girl made me get carried away.

That's fine. Now then, would you like to fight together with us?

Fight... You mean you want me to join you and fall under your jurisdiction?

Essentially, yes.

Are you joking, perhaps? Why would I do such a thing which I get no benefit from?

You do get a benefit. You can have a proper battle with Marisa.

Ah...

No matter how many times ya want to do it, the result's always gonna be the same!

Where does all that self-confidence come from?

It's my pride in my real potential, yo.

Flukes are called flukes because they do not happen more than once. This time I'll win so emphatically that you'll be left speechless!

In that case, let's work well together.

Make sure ya work hard.

......Huh?

Aya Shameimaru became an ally.

Letty: *yaaawn*...Ahh, I want to sleep so much...What am I doing here at this season, honestly...

The Misty Lake, the lake that leads to the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Letty, a youkai normally only seen in winter, was floating over it listlessly.

Hmm, this place is colder than most others right now, but it still feels so warm...Ah, I feel like I'm going to melt...

While the lake was certainly cold, it simply wasn't sufficient for the temperature a winter youkai would be used to. At that moment, the ice fairy Cirno took the opportunity to come flying in energetically.

Cirno: Letty! I'm back!

What!? You dragged me out here by force, don't let me go back, and that's all you have to say!?

(Flashback)

Letty! Letty! Wake up already!

H...Hnnh...? Let me sleep...

It's really important, so wake up!

It's really something so important that it's worth disturbing my sleep for?

I don't think I can do it myself, so hurry up and get up already!

H-Hey, stop dragging me!

(End Flashback)

It's been three days since...I should be going back and sleeping by now.

Daiyousei: Ahaha, Cirno's just really gung-ho about this, like she is with everything~.

Daiyousei smiled innocently, as if she wasn't aware of Letty's mood. She had been talking with Letty for the last three days, while Cirno had gone off somewhere else.

Just where were you?

Ahh, I went to recruit some allies! They should be coming really soon.

Allies?...It's about time you told me why you woke me up and dragged me here. If it's stupidly trivial...I'm not going to let it go so easily.

The temperature around Letty suddenly started to drop rapidly. The other fairies started to tremble at the threat, but Cirno was completely unaffected.

It isn't tribal or anything! That purple youkai lady gave this to me!

Cirno took out a letter she hid in her clothes, and passed it over to Letty.

What's this..."Gather allies and defeat the Hakurei shrine maiden, and any wish you have will be granted"...I repeat, what is this?

I think all of Gensokyo's humans and youkai are forming groups and playing a game. If we beat the horrible shrine maiden, our wishes come true! I wonder what I'll wish for...Maybe a year's worth of frogs? It's so annoying to go search for them all the time.

Cirno was too busy counting her unhatched chickens to notice Lett's anger. Letty eventually gave up with a sigh.

Geez...And would this be why you woke me up?

Yep! I may be the strongest, but not even the strongest can do this by herself, so I need you to help me out too!

Why am I listening to a fairy's pleas...

You don't have anything to wish for, Letty?

Huh? Well...I guess it would be nice if winter lasted a little longer.

That's thinking too small. It'll be better if it was winter all the time! Yeah, I'm so full of awesome ideas!

I think that's going a bit too far...

What about you, Daiyousei?

Huh, me? I guess I want my home to be a bit bigger.

All right! Our mission for lots of frogs, a longer winter and a bigger lake starts now!

Yeah!

...*sigh*

C'mon Letty, put some more oomph into it!

Why did I let myself be woken up for this stupid kind of thing...It's not even winter yet...

Geez, you're still on about that? It'll be fine, it'll be winter soon, so there's no big difference!

Of course there is!

Letty, now having to deal with Cirno and the other fairies who were all excited in comparison, could truly be said to be undergoing misfortune. And so, thanks to Cirno stubbornly wanting her own way, Letty and all the other fairies of the lake have gotten involved in the event.

"Strongest Fairy Army" has been formed.
    Misty Lake placed under control of the Strongest Fairy Army.

Cirno's fairy group had recruited Daiyousei and Letty, becoming a fairy + 1 youkai army. Unbeknownst to them, three mysterious shadows were approaching the mist-covered lake they called their base.

??? #1: Hey, are you sure we're going in the right direction? It feels like we're taking a really long detour...

??? #2: Of course, fairies don't get lost. It's just not a place we usually go to, so it'll take a little more time than usual.

??? #3: ...So we're lost, then?

Shaddup, it's her fault for just telling us to go to a lake anyway. How am I suppose to know which lake she meant?

I'm pretty sure she didn't mean a "pond" near the Human Village, at least...Actually, Gensokyo only has one lake, right?

I'm not the one who said to consider every possibility.

Bah, it doesn't matter anyway. She didn't say to hurry, so let's take our time...Ah, I can see it now!

One of the shadows pointed directly forward. Before their eyes was a large body of water that could not possibly be called a pond. The hazy mist prevented them from being able to see very far.

Whew, looks like we're here...Now, where is that girl?

She should be somewhere around here, right?

We have to search for her?...Let's go home.

Don't be stupid, we're here already. Let's just look around for a bit.

Daiyousei: Heeey, Ciiirno!

There was nothing special planned for that day, so Cirno was drifting about on the lake aimlessly. Daiyousei called out to her from afar.

Cirno: Hm? What's the matter?

Well, according to the fairies I spoke to, there's a trio that we've never seen before wandering around.

Ah, it must be them. Took them long enough!

Huh, you know them? What should we do with them?

Where're they now? Bring me to them!

Okay, over here~!

Daiyousei took the lead, and brought Cirno over to where the three shadows were flitting about. They seemed to have noticed Cirno and Daiyousei as well, as they similarly approached the two.

Hey, you're late!

We're not late! You're the one who said to go to a lake and didn't tell us which one!

There aren't any lakes besides this one!

See, didn't I tell you?

She did, you know.

What!? Are you saying I'm at fault here!?

The three of them started to quarrel among themselves. Letty, who was following behind Cirno, then called out to them.

Letty: ...Sorry for interrupting, but who are you all?

...The three fairies immediately came to a stop at Letty's extremely sudden question, and turned to her with twinkling eyes.

Ah, you just...

Bravely asked for...

Our glorious names, right!?

Not quite like that...

Very well, we'll tell anyone who asks. Alright, listen up!

The fairy of shining sunlight, Sunny Milk! I control the refraction of light!

The fairy of peaceful moonlight, Luna Child! I control the propagation of sounds!

The fairy of constant starlight, Star Sapphire! I detect animate objects from afar!

Please go home.

Luna: That's too sudden!

Sunny: We were invited here by that fairy anyway.

Cirno, when you said you were going to "go gather more allies", did you mean these three?

Yeah. I know their strengths well, I've fought them before after all! Though they weren't a match for me, the strongest.

Fought? Don't you mean argued?...Well, anyway. With our powers combined...

Star: No matter our opponent, human or youkai...

We'll beat them up with our special pranks!

............The Three Light Fairies!!!!

I know already.

They look like they'll be really fun~. Let's do our best!

Yeah, let's work well together!

You all won't be able to do as well as me, but fight hard anyway!

All the hustle and bustle was similar to the noice you'd get when lots of little kids gather. Since fairies are similar to children, it wasn't surprising, but the lone youkai still put her hand to her forehead.

Letty's misfortune would continue still.

Sunny Milk has joined the Strongest Fairy Army.
    Luna Child has joined the Strongest Fairy Army.
    Star Sapphire has joined the Strongest Fairy Army.

The Nameless Hill. A sunny, yet cooling hill filled with suzuran. But because of the poison of those flowers, it became a place where humans and even youkai would not visit. A doll had been discarded on that hill of suzuran a long time ago, and after much time, it had began to possess its own life and will. It was like the spores the suzuran released had transferred into the doll.

Medicine: Mm~, how are you doing today, Ms. Su? You need to save up a lot of energy for the coming year, you know~.

The lone figure wandering around the Nameless Hill was the doll-turned-youkai, Medicine Melancholy. She skipped around happily, all the while emitting the poison of the suzuran from her body. As the visitors to the hill were few in number, she began to think of the entire hill as her home. The suzuran began to sway left and right in time with Medicine's steps.

Looks like you're all normal today, Ms. Su. That ends my work for today, then...Ahh, I'm so bord. I wonder if those long-eared ones will come again~.

The suzuran seemed to stretch themselves towards her as she spoke, pushing some of the other suzuran below them as they stretched.

I never thought I'd actually get bored...Maybe I'll go see what the world outside here is like.

Originally to her, her entire world was the hill full of suzuran in bloom. But as she slowly came into contact with the outside world, her curiosity about it began to grow.

Okay, that's decided then! Let's go, Ms. Su!

On that day, for the first time in ages, Medicine decided to wander out from the hill. The season was perfect for such, so long as she was careful, she would be able to maintain her poison. Or so she hoped.

Alright, here I go!

She flew off from the hill, leaving the swaying suzuran behind her for now.

Eientei. A place located deep in the bamboo forest, hidden from the public eye. A silent and still mansion where it felt like time had stopped. Yet now, others are able to recognize its existance. The mansion housing suspicous humans and rabits had lost its reason to stay hidden, and now proactively tried to communicate with humans from the village, and even received visitors, though not many would come.

The residents of Eientei had not held any major events after the "Moon Capital Nature Expansion" they held, and were getting listless. They had no reason to hide from the moon anymore, yet it felt like they still were. Whatever the case, the head of Eientei, Kaguya Houraisan, was starved for excitement of any fashion.

Kaguya: Hey, Eirin.

Eirin: Yes, princess?

Is there anything interesting going on?

There isn't.

*sigh*...Goodness, it's a real puzzle when you're not limited by anything. I don't remember thinking how bored I was when we were hiding from the moon.

Shall we take a walk like we did then?

I'm no longer satisfied by things like that. Luxury is an enemy. Indeed, one must learn to be thrifty. How are our finances doing?

There isn't anything to worry about there, business has been excellent.

From what I've been hearing, you not only sell the medicine cheaply, but allow debts as well? You should be more relentless on receiving the pay.

I cannot extract money from someone who doesn't have any. Furthermore, such magnanimous gestures will surely enhance our reputation and increase our customer base.

It wouldn't be worth it if that increased customer base is mostly made up of the penniless.

She was a girl who rarely left her home, and only talked to Eirin and all the rabbits who all looked alike. For her, there was perhaps only one enjoyment that she could indulge in.

I'll be heading out for a bit, then. Take care of the mansion while I'm away.

Are you going there again?

Oh, I'm just taking a walk...That's what I would want to say, but I suppose my mannerisms give me away.

We've been strengthening our ties with the human village recently, so please don't burn down the bamboo forest again. It makes us stand out in a bad way.

That was her fault, not mine.

Society will not view it that way. It is common knowledge that we reside in this bamboo forest. If another fire occurs, we will be the main suspects.

Hmph...How rigid. Won't someone make another major event happen?

You shouldn't be saying such selfish...

???: I believe someone called for me~?

Who's there!?

Eirin turned quickly towards the sudden voice that called out...but found no one there.

...I've long since grown tired of hide & seek.

My my, I've been found, I take it.

A thin vertical line appeared, and Yukari Yakumo popped out of it. Seeing that it was a person they were familiar with, Kaguya and Eirin treated her far more politely than they would another trespasser.

If you have no malicious intent, then would you please enter normally?

Yukari: I received a much more vehement welcome the last time I came through the entrance hall, though.

You most certianly had malicious intent then.

And what are you here for this time? We're not hiding the moon or the mansion anymore.

Yukari: Dear princess from the moon, I have prepared just the tonic to soothe your mind.

We have plenty of medicine around here.

I don't think you have the kind that I'll be prescribing~.

Yukari then handed Kaguya a certain sealed letter. Kaguya first thought that it looked suspicious, but her reaction soon changed as she continued reading it.

My, my...this would indeed be a miraculous cure.

...What are your intentions? I cannot believe you would talk about this sort of topic here without a hidden agenda.

I already told you, I have no malicious intent. Your distrust of me runs rather deep, hm?

Really? There isn't anyone so careless here who wouldn't be suspicious of everything you say.

...There may just be something I'm aiming for. But it doesn't involve any of you, so pay it no mind. I can promise you that it'll not be disadvantageous to you.

Well, you're definitely planning something, but as long as it doesn't make too much trouble...And besides, you all did take my trial of guts...Very well, we shall join your parade.

Princess...Are you positive?

I'm still rather bored after all, and it would be nice to play with people other than her.

I'm glad negotiations went fruitfully~. Anyway, I'm awfully busy right now, so I shall take my leave. Have a good day~.

Upon receiving Kaguya's concent, Yukari casually walked out and exited through Eientei's front door like a normal person.

...Very, very suspicous. Princess, in my view, we should not let ourselves be manipulated by her.

It is indeed suspicious. About as suspicious as the Moon Capital Nature Expansion.

That was an extremely benevolent event.

Events are all the same. Anyway, I'll be leaving everything to you Eirin, so do your best.

You're don't that after being the one to accept it, princess? Will that really cure your boredom?

You are the chef, and I am the gourmet.

...I shall perform as requested. I will let Reisen and Tewi know about this as well.

I'll be cheering you all on!

*sigh*...Cheering and nothing else?

...And so, Eientei became prominent on Gensokyo's stage once again. Though the process of the person most enamoured with the game leaving the essentials to others did not bode very well...

"Eientei Forest" has been formed.
    Lost Bamboo Forest placed under control of Eientei Forest.
    Eientei placed under control of Eientei Forest.

Turn: 35
    Ouki: 18234
    Ryumaku: 46/72

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path
    Cost to Develop: 33 RES

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration
    Cost to Develop: 15 RES

Muenzuka

Human Village

Enemy Territories:

Misty Lake
    Army: Strongest Fairy Army
    General: Cirno (leader)
    Defense: 225/225

Lost Bamboo Forest
    Army: Eientei Forest
    General: Reisen Udongein Inaba
    Defense: 205/205

Eientei
    General: Kaguya Houraisan (leader)
    Defense: 230/230

Special Events

War Declaration: Strongest Fairy Army
    Costs 7 NEG to declare war.

War Declaration: Eientei Forest
    Costs 10 NEG to declare war.

Not going to update the first post much yet, because this is really just the first part of more armies popping up. We can declare war now, or wait for someone else to take the initiative.

I also haven't purchased the items yet, but I think I will soon. That is, unless you think we should spend the Ouki to level up our lower leveled yet still used members, like Reimu, Marisa, Alice, and Shanghai. It costs 1500 for a full level at this point.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-10-31 at 11:43 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Banned

Let's wait for a bit and develop and stock up and then go to war once someone declares on us. Probably the fairies or Medicine, though she doesn't seem ready to form an army yet. Not sure about whether we should buy levels, though. It seems like its getting expensive.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Buying levels is getting expensive, but we have some spare Ouki at the moment, and I'm guessing that it will only get more expensive to buy levels. I'd say buy out Marisa as usual, then decide on how much to spend for level-ups. And yeah, develop for a while before startng the offensive. I notice the Magic Forest Interior and Muenzuka are still relatively cheap, and they're also pretty far behind out lines, so those two territories seem like good developing targets.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, sit tight and develop. No need to buy level before hostilities start. Just pick them up if we need them once somebody pick a fight with us.

Stomping the fairies would be quite pointless though, we'd just have SDM to contend with then. At least Eientei and Medicine's army can be cleared out relatively quickly.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Banned

Doesn't change that i support dealing with the fairies and the SDM as quickly as possible, with Medicine's group being the only ones i might want to deal with first. Why go for the SDM? The answer should be simple, knowing me.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

First off, I'm just going to say that I LOVE Letty in this game. Her personality reminds me of how I'd be responding to this whole ordeal.

Anyway, this part of the game feels really fast-paced to me. Even if we don't do anything we're going to get attacked within a couple turns by the Fairies + 1 Youkai team, and one or two turns after that by Medicine's team. So either way, whether we sit and develop or take the initiative, we're most likely going to have to be fighting on two fronts.

I think we should just declare on Cirno's team and try to lessen the pressure we have from two sides once Medicine (and her nuke of a partner) strikes. I'm not sure of when the SDM team is going to make a move though, but I still prefer that idea.

Also, as far as I'm aware, Eientei won't declare on us for a while. However, as soon as battle starts with them, Hakugyokurou's team is going to appear (not sure of if they'll attack either). So...yeah, lots of options appearing for us now.

Finally, as to what we should do with the Ouki, I support just buying the items and holding off on getting levels later.

17. - Top - End - #197

Well, Hakugyokurou team is on an independant timer unlike Eientei. I know because i sat on my hands developing until they formed up. At that point i took the village, bought a ton of levels and took them out before they picked up steam.
    Made dealing with Medicine quite a lot easier than otherwise could have been, in hindsight.

How much of a powerhouse is SDM anyway? can we realistically expect to clear them out swiftly?

If so, they might make for a good target, what with the four territories safely sequestered behind the lake. So make that Medicine or SDM depending on which one we can clear out faster. If tied, go with SDM.

Edit: hm, so not exactly the best first option. Still taking the lake would alleviate pressure from the village. Kinda depends on who DoWs us first.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-31 at 01:54 PM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Banned

Taking out the SDM will take a while, simply because they have four territories. They also have the most named characters of any faction, which is to say six. And Patchy, Flandre and Remi are all very near the top in terms of best characters. Their fairy maids are useless, though.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    Edit: hm, so not exactly the best first option. Still taking the lake would alleviate pressure from the village. Kinda depends on who DoWs us first.
    Cirno's team always declares first, with Medicine's team following shortly after once it's formed. We could always declare first on Cirno though and try to eliminate the threat of not having enough units to fight a full-scale battle on two sides.

Well, until that stupid event with the 3 Fairies happens anyway. I never really bothered to find out how to get past that...

20. - Top - End - #200
    Banned

I think you have to try and attack the lake anyway. Then an event, or maybe a short sequence of events, will come up in the events tab. Complete them and the lake is open to attack. Anyway, i'd say we take out the Doll Liberation Front first and then focus our attention directly to the north, moving through the fairies to pick up the SDM staff after that.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks a lot, that was exactly what the solution was. I should probably check the Events tab more often.

Except now I've got trouble dealing with the powerhouse in Medicine's team. Is there any reliable way to eliminate her? I've beaten her twice, but I just got lucky with placement and enemy units those times.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Banned

Ranged attacks are about it. She's really strong, but i still managed to defeat her and Medicine before the i figured out the solution to dealing with the fairies. As well as before i fought Eientei or Hakugyokuro.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Firbolg in the Playground

[spoiler] is strong, but slow. A speedy ranged attacker should be able to do plenty to her.

Personally, I would say sit and develop or go hit Eientei first.
    The fairy army makes a good buffer between us and SDM (doesn't seem to form before fairy army is gone) and they are easy enough to beat when we've cleared off the other armies.
    Last edited by memnarch; 2010-10-31 at 04:06 PM.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Banned

But...but...that would delay the time we recruit the SDM people!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well... it's five areas to beat for SDM characters, plus the time for SDM army to form, and two for the character I want. And as long as we've beaten two Eientei areas, might as well make it all three.

Plus if we just want to keep putting them off, it'll get to be a pain spending money for bribesdonations.

Tangent; currently at the last boss in my first play through. My reaction;
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

26. - Top - End - #206

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 36

Spoiler
    Show
    Cirno: I guess it's about time to go, huh?

Letty: To go where?

To that Hakurei shrine maiden's place to do this "war declaration" thingie.

W-Wait a minute. Do you even know what declaring war means?

Ehh? Uh...

It's not tasty.

I-I know that! I know what it is, i-it's like...It's like hitting your opponent with a glove!

How does she manage to say things that are somehow right, yet still very wrong...

Anyway, that's part of our main objective, so we're gonna beat her up real good.

And then I can go back to sleep, I guess that works out fine...

Ehh? Did you say something?

No. Anyway, if you're going to declare war, send another fairy to do it. If you go, you're sure to start a fight.

Bah, I wouldn't do that. Besides, I'm the strongest, so even if I did, it wouldn't be a problem.

*sigh*...Just do whatever you want then.

Well, it'll be kinda annoying to do myself anyway, so I'll do as you said.

...Then, at the Hakurei Shrine...

Marisa: Hey Reimu, a fairy just gave me a glove...The heck is this supposed 'ta mean?

Reimu: How would I know?

...In the end, the message wasn't really properly delivered.

"Strongest Fairy Army" - War has been declared

If there initial message wasn't clear enough, the Strongest Fairy Army made sure we got their point soon enough. Wasting no time, they immediately attack the Human Village.

Of course, with our best fighters still available, we have little problem repelling their assault. The Strongest Fairy Army isn't strong in the sense of brute force, but they can be very tricky, as several of their members possess very unique abilities that make direct attacks difficult to implement. However, I have experience fighting them, so I don't really have a problem with their tricks. They do have an awful lot of unique characters, though, which means very few chances to capture generic units.

Poor Cirno is one of the only two army leaders in the game who doesn't get their own battle theme. Wriggle is the other.

Medicine had left the Nameless Hill, but she was not particularly going anywhere, so she just ended up flying around randomly. But her eyes suddenly became attracted to a vast sea of yellow.

Medicine was never one for sunflowers, but since she had a vague memory of visiting a sunflower field before, she decided to drop down and take a closer look at it.

Medicine: It's not like I had a place in mind anyway~...Ahh, they make me feel bad even up close.

She walked slowly through the field, looking upwards at the sunflowers that grew even taller than her. Many of the large flowers looked like suns pointing at her, making her feel even worse than ever.

All these flowers of the sun pointing in one direction really does feel awful. Their colour is so bad for the eyes too, I can't relax around here.

???: My, I think these vivid colours are quite brilliant myself.

W-Who are you!?

She quickly turned towards the direction of the voice. At first, the sunflowers in the way made the owner of the voice hard to see, but the sunflowers then separated at once to reveal the figure clearly.

Yuuka: Hello. It's been a while, hasn't it?

.........Who are you?

My my, you could forget someone like me, who's as bright and colourful as a sunflower? That's rather mean.

I forgot about you because you're like a sunflower.

That's unfortunate, it's rare for anyone to be able to forget such prettiness.

Do you mean you, or the sunflowers?

Both.

She caressed a sunflower's stalk as she murmured. They had indeed met before, but since Medicine had the memory of a doll, it was to be expected that she'd forget.

...I'm kinda getting the feeling that we've talked before.

My, you remember me now? I'm glad. That reminds me, I never did get your name. I'm Yuuka Kazami. And you would be?

Medicine. Medicine Melancholy.

From your name and your body, I suppose it's obvious that you would dislike sunflowers. So, what would your melancholic self be doing here? Planning to move?

Why would I desert Ms. Su to stay in a place like this? I was just a bit bored, so I came out to play.

My, how fortuitous, I'm quite bored myself...Though I don't think you'd make an adequate partner to play with.

That's so rude! Ms. Su's poison is invincible!

It's just a little joke. Besides, it's always a tragedy to see a flower wither away due to poison.

Although they seemed to trade provocative words, it was just banter that signified a normal, peaceful and boring day. Although Yuuka and Medicine were fundamentally different, they both shared the same feeling of wanting something big to happen. Just as a flower needs its water, the mind needs enrichment as well.

...And then, blessings of rain from above began to fall and quench the thirst of their minds.

???: If' you're that bored, then I have something really interesting for you right here~.

Eh, did you say something?

...Look up.

Medicine looked up to the sky as she was told to, and saw a crack quickly opening up in the blue sky, with a purple figure emerging from it.

Yukari: Hello and good afternoon, it's certainly raining sunlight today, isn't it?

Be clearer. Will it be a bright or a rainy day?

Yuuka's face began to tighten into a scowl. There were very few who would argue against these two women being amongst the most powerful in Gensokyo. And the two of them were now facing off...But unlike Yuuka, Yukari had a calm and light look on her own face.

My my, don't make such a scary face, mm? I didn't come for that today.

...How boring. What are you here for, then?

As I said, I have something really interesting for you all~.

I'm not a fan of your brand of salesmanship.

My, is that so? That's too bad, I had such a wonderful way for you to kill some time as well.

...I suppose I could listen to your offer.

I like it when you're honest. You over there, do listen carefully as well.

Huh? What did you say, Ms. Person as Purple as Ms. Su?

Here you go. Share this copy, please.

Yukari handed over a familiar-looking document as she spoke. It was another copy of the participation information she had been distributing. After reading through the instructions, they both looked up.

What's this supposed to be? And if you came here personally, you might as well have explained it to us verbally.

It took me quite a while to make that, you know. It makes my job easier as well. So, how about it? I believe it's a good way to relieve your boredom.

Hmm, I'm not really sure, but it's basically about inviting friends and fighting together, right? I don't have any friends besides Ms. Su.

My, but you do. You have one right next to you, after all.

Ehh?

The two turned to look at each other, then immediately began to protest.

Now hold on a second, when did I become a friend of this girl?

Suzuran and sunflowers together?! That's like water and oil, or dolls and humans!

Oh, don't those go well together?

Whatever the case, I have no interest in such tedious things. If you wish to kill some time, then let's fight it out right here, right now.

My, you get heated up awfully easy, mm? If you wish to fight me so badly, then there is one person you will have to defeat first...Reimu Hakurei.

Reimu...

You lost to Reimu in the past, didn't you? A youkai who gets beaten by her is no match for me.

Hmph...There's no way I'm going to take that lying down. Fine, I shall play with Reimu a little while as an appetizer.

Yes yes, very good. And what about you, Ms. Doll?

Ehh, me? I...I don't know.

You're aiming for the liberation of all dolls, aren't you? Then you'll have to work hard and gather a lot of allies~.

Well, that's true...But how did you know that?

...Just what are you planning?

Now now, don't worry so much. I'll jot you two down as participants then, do your best~. Ahh, I'm even busier than a bee these days~.

As soon as she finished what she wanted to say, Yukari jumped back into her gap without giving the orders a chance to stop her. The two left behind turned to look at each other again.

Just what was that all about...I feel like she was pulling my strings like a puppet. What about you? What do you plan to do?

Hmm...She said I could liberate all dolls, so I can't back down now. I'll have to gather allies and fight the humans eventually.

You should be the leader, then. Such things are far too annoying for me.

W-Whaaa!?

The battles take place between groups, so we need to decide a leader. It's written right here. I'm not very interested in dolls, but this fits well, doesn't it?

I guess so...alright, I accept! I'll do my best to raise the social status of dolls, and liberate them from the humans!

Getting to know the outside world, its residents, and even herself. To medicine, this was a chance for her to grow, and find some allies to her cause at the same time...And so, Medicine's battle for the liberation of all dolls began.

...Hey, what about me?

"Doll Liberation Front" has been formed.
    Garden of the Sun placed under control of the Doll Liberation Front.
    Nameless Hill placed under control of the Doll Liberation Front.

Turn: 36
    Ouki: 4452
    Ryumaku: 48/73

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration
    Cost to Develop: 15 RES

Muenzuka

Human Village

Enemy Territories:

Misty Lake
    Army: Strongest Fairy Army
    General: Cirno (leader)
    Defense: 225/225

Lost Bamboo Forest
    General: Reisen Udongein Inaba

Eientei
    General: Kaguya Houraisan (leader)
    Defense: 230/230

Garden of the Sun
    Army: Doll Liberation Front
    General: Yuuka Kazami

Nameless Hill
    Army: Doll Liberation Front
    General: Medicine Melancholy (leader)

Special Events

War Declaration: Doll Liberation Front
    Costs 11 NEG to declare war.

War Declaration: Eientei Forest
    Costs 10 NEG to declare war.

We've bought out the item shop again, although I still haven't used the Health Pill yet. I've spent some Ouki to raise a few levels, so we're kind of low at the moment, but we've generally been in the black for Ouki production even after battles.

The big question now is which of the three armies we should concentrate on at the moment.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-10-31 at 10:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

If we've got enough power for it, I might reconsider and vote for heading after Medicine's army first over Cirno's. Cirno's army isn't that big of a threat, so repelling their attacks or letting them gain levels shouldn't be a big problem compared to fending off Medicine and Yuuka, and defeating Cirno just leads to the forming and potential opposition of another army as a reward.

Alternatively, see whatever post I made previously regarding attack patterns for reasons as to why we should attack Cirno's team. I guess for you though, since you've already got experience with the game and how to deal with everyone, it's just preference as to who gets recruited first.

My suggestions seem to be pretty contradictory with each other for this part of the game, huh? I get swayed pretty easily I guess. My thoughts on the pill still haven't changed though.

And I still can't get over how comical Cirno's army and its cutscenes are.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Banned

Yeah, the Strongest Fairy Army is really silly. In fact the three fairies might well be the most serious characters of the army, given how Letty has been drafted into a running gag of trying to get some sense in Cirno and Daiyousei's heads.

In any case, i still support taking on the Doll Liberation Front as soon as possible. We don't want to have to fend off Yuuka while fighting someone else and we really do want to recruit both her and Medicine. That gives the Front a pretty high priority as an enemy.

29. - Top - End - #209

Hm, it's not like there is much choice really, DLF is the only army without timesink events to deal with, so might as well take them out.
    We can deal with Yuuka pretty well with Eiki, Marisa, Aya and the other Dakka-specialist in general. Should go fine as long as we don't go in trading punches with her.
    Admittedly, all the options available are about equal in terms of up/downsides, could just as well flip a coin .
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-11-01 at 06:28 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

And it is not unlikely that Keine would be able to tank her semi-competently while the rest bombard her. Keine is honestly ludicrously tough in this game and i'm not entirely certain why.