New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

The thick coating of foliage on the temple's walls provides an effective barrier, growing entirely over the door before the blackscales can make their way outside. You manage to escape into the jungle unpursued, at least as far as you can tell.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Dropping down to the earth with a melodic clash, Shard joins the others in retreat. Once again they take a circuitous route and once again Grimmgang conceals their tracks. When they return again to their hidden ravine sanctuary Shard looks at the bloody and battered body of its more fragile companion.

"You were foolish my friend. You should have stayed back and used your arrows. When others depend on your protection, a knight must battle evil with intelligence, not reckless haste..."

Turning to the others it asks, "What now? If they do not come out looking for us, then surely they will be more prepared next time..."

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

"They can't have much force left. More importantly, they are leaderless, throwing them in disarray. Good chances they lack both numbers and brains to organize a solid defense.

But something else worries me",
    Grimmgang said, looking at the fallen Daiya. She looked almost peaceful, if not for her crushed chest. The wound was ghastly and her blood soiled his cloak while he carried her, but he realized that the only thing that worried him about that was that he needed to wash it off before the scent of the blood burned into the fabric, making it easier to detect him. He sighed, but it was a sigh of regret, not his usual annoyance. War had made him a pragmatic man, and in moments like this he wondered if he lost something important along the way.

"You know her best, what would be her wishes? People die, that's part of this buisness, but at least we can honor their memory and give them a proper farewell."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tomorrow I can contact her spirit and we can discover first hand her wishes. I'd like to make sure she recieves as much of a send off as she'd like, or even a return to this plane.
    Awesome avatar created by Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    DM says: *Anything, anything at all.*

Players think: "Obviously, the solution is murder!"
    Player Registry

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

"Wait, you can do that?" Grimmgang wondered. "Well, of course, you priestly types have that kind of power. In a war with thousands dead this is of course no option, but on this small scale... What do we have to do?"
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #366

I will fly for Adderport if needs be and get get scrolls for both Speak With Dead and Reincarnate. The earth has yet to grant me the power to raise those from the dead and gift them with a new form. Any objections?

Player Registry

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds good, be quick about it. We'll just hold position here." He drew one of the stones Sur'kil had given them, turning it over in his hand and examining it's smooth surface. "Our dear employer said we can contact him with this. He should still be in Adderport, try to get some money out of him for the scrolls. Take from the loot what you need to afford the scrolls. None of us will be able to use that massive club anyway." He glanced at the tetsubo of the high priest, noticing the dried blood on it. He mumbled a short "Later", grabbing the weapon and making off into the jungle to vigorously wash the blood out of it and his cloak.

8. - Top - End - #368

Spoiler
    Show
    I fill my HHH with any loot that will fit and will sell it in town for the cash for these scrolls, unless of course Sur'kil will pay for the scrolls.

I will be as quick as I can, try to remain hidden. And Grimmgang, don't let the grief overcome you, we need you to remain strong right now. I should be no more than 3 days, wind forbidding. See you all soon. Standing awkwardly for a moment, Trunk shrugs and turns, shrinks down into a broad winged eagle and flies off. Trunk makes sure to fly through the top of tree line for the first mile or so, just incase any inhabitants of the temple recognise him from earlier.

Player Registry

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Shard nods its consent as Trunk flies away. Alone with the lizardfolk prisoner, Shard stands very still and alone for sometime, watching over the corpse of it's fallen friend, a sullen statue; even the light within it has dimmed to a dull luminescence.

When Grimmgang returns from his laundering, Shard address him.

"You say they are weakened. Still...over three days they may be able to reinforce. Or perhaps they will be lulled into thinking we have fled. Perhaps we could return to the friendly lizardfolk tribes we had encountered before, the ones who have been persecuted by the Blackscale tribes. They may agree to offer reinforcements for our final raid."

10. - Top - End - #370

Spoiler
    Show
    That's a great idea, hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately I'm the only one with Draconic, though atleast some of them speak Common so you can still communicate.

Player Registry

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Trunk:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As it turns out, an untiring eagle can fly at a rather impressive speed. Once you clear the treeline and apply your wooden wings fully, you clear the miles easily, and it is only late evening by the time you spot the coast and Adderport beyond the trees - plenty of time left, in a place like this, to either pawn the jewellery you recovered or seek out Sur'kil before nightfall.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-04-09 at 10:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    and since Trunk doesn't sleep he can be back by morning! Meanwhile hopefully we can muster some reinforcements...

13. - Top - End - #373

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sleeping and not tiring was my plan with an 80ft base fly speed. Do we know where to find Sur'kil or am I expected to use one of the sending stones?

Arriving on the outskirts of Adderport and landing in an alleyway, Trunk reverts to his humanoid self and steps out into the street full of people leaving work to return home. He mutters to himself Hmm, time to track down Sur'kil. With that he sets off into dusk-lit streets.

Player Registry

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

The inn Sur'kil had pointed out to you before you left is still open; at a first glance, he doesn't seem to be present, but as a breath of wind floats inside with the opening door, the shifting light from the lamps as they briefly flare reveals a familiar face in the furthest corner. Apparently, he has decided to play the mysterious stranger, as the hood of his cloak is up despite the clement weather. He visibly raises an eyebrow at your swift return, and beckons you over with a slight motion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang shook his head while laying his wet cloak over a branch to dry. "I think I'd find them again, but it took us three days from where me met them to here. By that time Trunk will be back. We can keep them under surveillance; if they send anybody out to get reinforcements we ambush them."
    He then took out six of his arrows, carefully sticking them into the center of the poisonous fungus. "We can make good use of the time. If they still keep a single blackscale on patrol we can take him out and disappear again into the jungle before they can make a sortie. Keep them on the edge, don't let them reorganize."

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

"And what of our prisoner?" Shard asked, indicating the still bound and gagged poison dusk glaring angrily at them. "He must be getting hungry. We cannot let him go, at least until after we have retrieved what we cam here for."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

"I know nothing about the metabolism of lizards, but I suppose it's time we give him some food and water", Grimmgang agreed, carefully removing their prisoners gag and lifting his waterskin to it's mouth. "I guess we can give him to the Cold Sun tribe once we're finished here. Given the history of their tribes they might just kill him, who knows. Not really our problem."

18. - Top - End - #378

Evening Sur'Kil. I see you're remaining subtle tonight, sorry if I stick out and ruin that for you. I'll cut to the chase. Shifting awkwardly, Trunk halts for a second to apparently stare thoughtfully at the grain of the wooden table. Starting again suddenly Trunk regails Sur'Kil of events up until this point.

You see, whilst others of my order can bring back those that have passed and give them a form of Our Mother's choosing, I am unable to perform it on my own unaided.. We seek a scroll of Reincarnation and a scroll of Speak With Dead to ask Daiya if she even wishes to return to us. Also I will sell what trinkets we have gained to fund these purchases. However, we were wondering whether or not you would help us here as a way of suring up your investment of sending us against these Lizardfolk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trunk is used to diplomancing with rather more violent types and would usually be forced to compromise so making demands isn't in his nature, atleast in my opinion.
    Last edited by FuryOfMetal; 2011-04-11 at 03:34 PM.

Player Registry

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Sur'kil listens silently to your tale, waiting until you finish and considering for a time before responding. "I had wondered why you were back alone. That you have managed to lose a member of your group so soon does not speak highly of your skill." He pauses, holding up a hand to forestall any reply.

"However, you have made progress, and that you wish to continue after your loss speaks rather more favourably of your integrity. I would rather not have to hire anyone else, after all. Sell what you have recovered and see if you can make your purchases. If you cannot, I shall assist you with the balance."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #380

Gratious of you, Sur'Kil. I feel I must explain. Daiya is the knightly sort and died facing down a foe twice her size and strength yet still she did not falter or back down. She died the best death she could have hoped for I'm sure, other than not dying at all of course. I will go sell our trinkets so far and return to you if needs be. Trunk backs out from his seat and bows his head before turning to leave. It's late, hopefully somewhere is still open. If not he could always try the temple.

Spoiler
    Show
    The scrolls come to 2075g. I have 500g floating around in my HHH. What loot have we picked up so far that I could legitimately take with me? I should've thought of this earlier but I rushed off. Sallera will you allow us to say that I took these items with me or shall I try and find more creative ways of making money?

Player Registry

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, you've actually recoved a fair bit in portable wealth - jewellery and the like, and you did say you'd brought it with you. Assuming you just sell that stuff, you can make about 3000g, so you're fine.

(The adventurer's life: Make a fortune, spend it all resurrecting your dead friends. <<;;)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

22. - Top - End - #382

Spoiler
    Show
    To the adventurers life! I seem to remember TheFallenOne having a big list of our overall loot but this is enough. Are there any shops open or will I be visiting a temple or staying overnight? I assume temples are always atleast partially open with SOMEONE there to tend to worshippers. Temples also often sell divine scrolls, wands, potions etc.

Player Registry

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sallera View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    (The adventurer's life: Make a fortune, spend it all resurrecting your dead friends. <<;;)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Or "Make a fortune, spend it on booze and whores, make new friends." Being evil has it's advantages

Loot list is here. Up to dracotaur fight I think it contains all loot Sallera gave us

while you're on it, look if you can get an Identify on the amulet. Unlike the high priests weapon this is something one of us could actually use

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

The jewellery market in Adderport is somewhat overloaded, but the blackscales' work is quite extravagant, and even the lesser pieces hold value as raw materials. You are able to offload them easily enough, and while the local clergy of Dol Arrah are not eager to part with such valuable magic when they have no means of easily replacing it, your coin eases their minds, and you are soon able to leave the port behind. Provided you are willing to fly through the night, you can return to the campsite by late the next morning.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #385

Spoiler
    Show
    Very good point Fallen. Can I get that amulet identified?

Player Registry

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure; which one exactly? You've picked up a couple.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    "I know nothing about the metabolism of lizards, but I suppose it's time we give him some food and water", Grimmgang agreed, carefully removing their prisoners gag and lifting his waterskin to it's mouth. "I guess we can give him to the Cold Sun tribe once we're finished here. Given the history of their tribes they might just kill him, who knows. Not really our problem."
    Rummaging through Daiya's pack, Shard retrieved a trail ration of jerky and walked over to their captive. Holding out the strip it placed it on the creature's mouth unafraid as it's maw of serrated teeth posed no threat to the hardened mineral warrior.

"Hopefully Trunk is able to procure what we need for Daiya." It said, giving a mournful glance toward the corpse, covered by it's blood-soaked death shroud. The poison dusk followed Shard's glance and gave a hard-eyed toothy grin of satisfaction at the invader's demise.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright, that should be enough", Grimmgang said, shoving the gag back in the lizards mouth.
    He then wrapped Daiyas cloak tightly around her body to keep the jungles insects at bay. "You know, we may make good use of the time until our treeman is back", he said afterwards, strapping his shield back on his arm. "Know what the hardest part is about defending a position against an enemy you can't see? The waiting, never knowing when they'll attack next, unsure if you can dare sleeping for just a couple hours. They lost their leader and most of their force. Let's show them we're still here, keep them on the edge. Just a quick strike on the blackscale patrol, then back in the jungle before they can react. Given the state they are in, any additional pressure brings them closer to breaking."

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

"Alright, but then we should rest. Trunk may be back by morning and we need our rest."

Shard checks to make sure their captive is secure and then picks up his greatsword, ready to follow the dwarven scout once more unto the breach.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Navigating the jungle while staying out of sight is a tedious process, but you manage to make it most of the way to the temple. Before it is quite in sight, however, there is a violent shriek from a black shadow in the canopy above, and a young dragon bursts through the foliage, diving toward Shard's luminous form.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's currently about twenty feet above you. Initiative and actions, please.

Dragon's init: (1d20)[13]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei