New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Even Grimmgang's keen eyes see no sign of the dragon today; perhaps the rain and wind are keeping it grounded, or it simply dislikes getting wet, but you reach the temple unhindered by aught but the weather. The entrance appears unguarded, and you can hear nothing from inside over the creaking of branches and slapping of wet leaves.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

"They wouldn't have left the entrance unguarded. Unless...the high priest. The one who--killed--me. Did you finish him? They may be without leadership, and that would make this the best time to strike. Trunk, you've had dealings with these lizardfolk before. How fast are they? Could I outrun them? Perhaps Grimmgang and I could investigate quietly and see if it is a trap."
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2011-06-24 at 12:53 AM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

"I am loathe to let you rush in blindly again..." Shard replied to Daiya, unaware of the irony in it's statement.

"But to answer your question, your timely demise was avenged."

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

"Their size gives them a long stride, and they have the advantage of knowing the temple's layout. I do not think it would be wise to rely on outrunning them," Trunk replies cautiously. "Outside, I can turn the jungle against them to slow them down, as I did before, but that will not work in the temple itself."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

"They're probably angry and disorganized enough to meet us out in the open if we step out and challenge them", Grimmgang mused. "I'm just concerned about that dragon, out in the open it has an advantage and the wind makes it harder to shoot him. No idea if the wind is strong enough to hamper his flight."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

"I am ready." Shard intones solemnly, raising it's greatsword hewn from the very minerals that first budded into it's body.

"Daiya, my friend, perhaps best to rely on skirmish and ranged combat over the toe-to-toe trading of blows with scaly giants. Discretion is, as they say, the better part of valour..."

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya tries to give what is supposed to be a sidelong glance of reluctant acceptance, but unfamiliarity with how to use her eyes means that she simply turns her whole head to look at Shard, showing about as much emotion as it does. Then she grabs her bow, draws and arrow, and settles into a running stance, ready to cross the gap between forest and building as quickly as possible when the command is called.

"If that dragon you mentioned is still around, it's going to be best to stay away from sky. If it comes down to it, I can create a fog indoors to hide our escape until we can reach the jungle and Trunk's magic will function. Any thoughts?"
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a little confused right now what the consensus is. Are Daiya and Grimmgang scouting ahead, or do we just go out and wait for them to meet us in open combat, or do we all just storm in and beat them up?
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well I'm not the best DnD tactician, but it seems like we have the best chance if we can face them as a coordinated unit. If Trunk can use magic on them, Shard can tank while Grimmgang and Daiya can skirmish up close and at range respectively. If you have a better idea I'm open to it. Just remember...no battle plan survives contact with the enemy...

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well, I don't care much which approach we take long as we keep things moving. Grimmgang and Daiya going ahead sneakily, the others following when it's no trap, then just storm in. If things go bad, Obscuring Mist inside and Entangle outside to cover retreat would be my approach

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    sounds good, let's do it!

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang and Daiya meet no resistance as they leave the cover of the trees and cross the sodden clearing, ascending the temple stairs with wary step. The portico provides only minimal cover from the rain, as the winds drive it at a sharp angle, but once they approach the doors, they can see that the main hall, at least, is empty. Two openings lead off to either side, one at the end of the hall to the altar room, and an unexplored passage just to the left of the entrance.

Shard(/Trunk):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just as Grimmgang and Daiya reach the doors and pass out of sight, a dark patch distinguishes itself from the roof of the portico, resolving into the shape of a small lizardfolk with bow in hand, slowly lowering itself upside-down until it hangs off the edge by its feet. It appears that in a few seconds, it will have a clear shot at the backs of your allies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

When they reached the inside of the temple without interruption, Grimmgang held his hand out in front of Daiya, beckoning her to wait a moment. Bending down, he examined the ground, sniffing carefully, to get a reading of their enemies location and remaining number before advancing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival - (1d20+10)[30] Track feat, +2 Dungeoneering. DC 20 for hard surface presumably, circumstance modifiers may apply
    Track by Scent - (1d20+1)[15] Wisdom check, base DC 10

I will have equipped my buckler instead of shield. Makes it easier to switch to bow in case of dragon attack

edit: wow, a thirty
    that's good enough to follow a 2 days old trail of a common house fly on solid stone... D&D rules are strange at times
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-07-05 at 11:35 AM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

As Grim pauses their advance, Daiya turns, watching the area behind her. Quietly, to the dwarf, she complains about how the sense of sight is limited to one direction, but maintains her vigil; bow in one hand, the other holding an arrow, ready to nock, draw, and fire in one practiced motion.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2011-07-05 at 06:42 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Trunk have any ranged capabilities?

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sling, looks like. His vines don't have much range. The sheet's linked in the first post, by the way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

Trunk reached for his sling, and nocked a missile. "Elements of air and Earth, guide my strike..." he invoked as he brought the weapon up to full spinning velocity.

Touching Trunk on the shoulder, Shard intoned. "and may the Cruciform light the way..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Shard casts True Strike on Trunk. Trunk fires:

(1d20+22)[34]
    damage: (1d4-1)[3]

Kind of a waste, but not sure what else we can do at the moment...

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

The glowing missile streaks unerringly through the air, trailing sparks as Shard's magic shields it from the wind. With a muffled thump, it strikes the hanging lizard in the back, and although it scrabbles to retain its grip, the impact knocks it from its precarious perch at the end of the portico roof to crash headfirst in an undignified heap on the wet stone below, revealing it rather abruptly to Grimmgang and Daiya.

Spoiler
    Show
    True Strike is a personal spell only, but as we're not really operating in combat time there, I'll just assume Trunk gave Shard the sling to keep things moving.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya, seeing the creature fall, smoothly pulls her headband over her eyes, opening her mind to her other senses, then fires an arrow at the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[15]
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2011-07-06 at 01:43 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    huh? Is this a poison dusk? Seems so from the way it's described. Little ambiguous if our buddies attack killed it

Surprised at an enemy escaping both his and Daiyas senses, Grimmgang reacted on pure instinct after the sound behind them, dodging sideways, then a second later when he had a reading of the situation charging forward before the stunned lizard could call for aid.
    Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+8)[12]

Wolf Fang Strike
    Dwarven Waraxe - (1d20+6)[26]
    Slashing damage - (1d10+4)[13] + Skirmish damage - (1d6)[2]
    Armor spikes - (1d20+6)[11]
    Piercing damage - (1d6+1)[3] + Skirmish damage - (1d6)[3]

use Sudden Leap if necessary for movement

I notice I could've used some healing. Lacked 12 HP before sleeping

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

The poison dusk rolls to the side with surprising alacrity after falling from such a height, avoiding Daiya's arrow and coming up with signal whistle in hand as Shard's glow finally lets it locate the two who stayed behind, but Grimmgang's blow cuts through whistle, arm, and heart alike before it can make use of the instrument.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-07-07 at 10:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang had to put his foot against the lizard to pull his axe free again after the vicious blow showered him and the floor with blood and gore. He shrugged contemptuously at Shards and Trunks bewildered looks, as if to say 'What?' Or maybe that was just his imagination; reading emotion on faces hewn from wood and adamantium wasn't easy.
    Before turning around again though, he mouthed 'Well done' to his companions in the jungle, are rare gesture of gratitude that likely went unnoticed because of the distance, then resumed their infiltration.

Spoiler
    Show
    pick up Tracking again as per some posts prior

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

The stone floors hold few clues, and the showers of rain occasionally blowing in from the entrance aren't helping matters, but regardless of these minor difficulties, Grimmgang easily finds evidence of the recent passage of blackscales. They appear to have been using both wings of the temple in the last day or two, although from the relative lack of signs, there don't appear to be many left. There is also a single smaller claw mark from a poison dusk, possibly the one currently lying in pieces outside, and several large trails, cleaned of blood but still leaving the occasional stain or scent, that likely resulted from the dragging of corpses.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang wanted to signal Daiya with his hands, but then realized her senses probably wouldn't register such fine motions accurately. Instead he decided to whisper in her ear. "Couple blackscales, one poison dusk, likely this one. Seems they dragged the corpses around. We avoided the trap, let's see in which room they are, then call in Shard and Trunk. Stay a bit behind me."

Spoiler
    Show
    active Listen check each turn, and move at half speed
    active Listen - (1d20+8)[17]
    active Listen - (1d20+8)[9]
    active Listen - (1d20+8)[27]
    active Listen - (1d20+8)[17]
    active Listen - (1d20+8)[22]

passive Listen - (1d20+8)[9]
    passive Spot - (1d20+8)[15]

sneak up first on the western, then eastern room until I have an idea of their location and numbers. Hide and Move Silently take 10 for 21

If I succeed and don't get noticed, return to the entrance and give the others a signal to move in

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang needs not move very far down the western passage before he hears the occasional restless growl of some creature, and sees signs of two blackscales moving around, one at the end of the wing and the other in a series of small chambers that branch off to the north of the passage several feet in. The blackscales are restless, but not especially alert; they do not appear to have noticed your brief fight with the scout. The eastern wing, as far as you can tell, is empty at the moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-07-10 at 02:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

After the short foray, Grimmgang returned to the entrance where the others could see him. He raised two fingers, then indicated something large and pointed at the western section. Finally he waved Trunk and Shard over, getting ready for battle in case their less subtle movement gets heard.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

The elemental warriors of earth and plant see the signal and begin crossing the expanse of clearing between the foliage and the temple foyer.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

All inside remains still as you stand in the middle of a swiftly expanding puddle just inside the temple entrance. The storm outside and the open windows let you hear nothing of the building's occupants, but at least this means they likely can't hear you, either.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-07-13 at 08:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya closes her eyes, feeling for the slight tremors in the earth that would alert her to any nearby enemies, especially those in other halls. Pressing a hand to a wall, she seems to be concentrating. The longer she spent with her sight, the greater effort using her previously attuned senses took. If only a day did this to her, she would have to learn to fight all over again...

Spoiler
    Show
    She will also indicate as silently as necessary whether she finds anything with 30ft tremorsense.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing appears to be moving in range; the only vibration to be felt is the steady beat of the rain above.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei