New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

With Shard's guard down in the moment of striking, the Blackscale passes right under the floating shield to smash right into the previously injured area. With the tremendous force behind the Blackscale's war-club the cracks that had been present before implode inwards into a deep crater and fissures open like jagged seams all throughout Shard's body, blue light pouring out from the wounds to splash upon the walls.

At least the others shall be spared, the mineral warrior thought, a grim sentiment but held with a resolved contentment.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Shard pours all it's pain into a furious counterstrike, hoping to end this fight for good and find what they came here for.

Spoiler
    Show
    Crusader's strike
    (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[16]terrible. Can someone please kill this ugly mother?
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-08-16 at 02:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

The shattering blow on Shard made his companions press the attack to divert the attention away from their tough but battered friend. "Stuborn as my mother this one", Grimmgang muttered, axe swinging low in unison with Drasils bite.

Spoiler
    Show
    Regain maneuvers
    Dwarven Waraxe - (1d20+10)[12]
    Slashing damage - (1d10+4)[10] + Skirmish damage - (1d6)[6]

Trunk
    (1d20+8)[16] (1d4+3)[7]
    (1d20+8)[24] (1d4+3)[5]
    (1d20+3)[4] (1d6+1)[2]

Drasil
    (1d20+9)[17] (1d6+3)[9]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

The blackscale finally bends under the relentless onslaught, an artery in its leg torn by Trunk as it drops to one knee, and it falls unconscious to the floor, its blood swiftly mixing with the puddles of wind-driven water dripping from the windows.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

Shard touches one of the jagged crystal rods upon it's forearm and the light-spewing cracks in it's body begin to recede and seal, as flawless as from a gemcutter.

"It is done then...save for their dragon? We should stay alert, lest any further ambushes await us. Let us search for what we came, but first, are any of you injured?"

Spoiler
    Show
    2 LVs to bring me back to full, anyone else need some Mc'Lovin?

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

"Just a scratch", Grimmgang said dismissively. Trunks bear form gave a short wail, licking at the scars in his wooden skin with a mahagoni tongue, preferring to stay in this more battlesuited shape for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grimmgang took only 6. Trunk took 19 damage I think

"I think this should be it far as the lizards go; maybe the dragon has his lair somewhere outside. Let's make a quick patrol of the temple to be sure it is cleared, , then our history buffs can take some time to take a closer look at things and figure out the next step."

Spoiler
    Show
    if the temple is indeed clean, let's see if those reliefs give us any hints. Grimmgang will use the time to search take 20 on walls and floors, not sure 21 will be enough though. If that fails we can try the sacrificial pit, maybe there's a way further down
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

Shard touches the crystal to both Trunk and Grimmgang, allowing the healing warmth to reinvigorate them. "You should be at full strength lest any other threats befall us." it countered.

"Let me take a look around with you..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Trunk is in bear form and can't access his equipment I'll play healer. 2 LVs to Trunk and one to Grimmie. Then:

Knowledge Arcane: (1d20+7)[13]

Knowledge: Dungeoneering: (1d20+7)[19]

Knowledge: Religion: (1d20+11)[24]

Forgot I had Knowledge Devotion...next combat I can eke out a few more bonuses...
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-08-19 at 04:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

As it turns out, your reprieve is short-lived. A heavy grinding sound echoes out from the pit in the center of the room a minute after the last blackscale's dying cries, and you hear a shrill call of what sounds like a question, although the words are lost in the sounds of stone on stone.

Spoiler
    Show
    You've time for one action each; I rolled init for you to speed things up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang and Trunk took defensive positions around the pit, weapons and claws at the ready for what was to come. The dwarf shot Trunk a questioning look to see if he maybe understood what was said or what is down there, but the druid only shook his head.

Spoiler
    Show
    Place Grimmgang west of the pit, Trunk and Drasil east. All take Total Defense
    [Grimmgang initiative]1d20+8[/roll]
    Trunk initiative - (1d20-1)[7]

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya responds to the sound by drawing her wand and pulling her blindfold up.

"If the lizards pushed it into the pit, chances are it's a victim of their barbarism. Wait for it to show aggression first."
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

There is a brief pause as Grimmgang and Trunk reach the pit, then a Draconic shriek of "<Youagain!>" as a creature Grimmgang recognizes flaps free of a stone lip some twenty feet down, where it had been pressed against the wall. It spits a jet of clear liquid at the dwarf, then dives downward, calling something else that gets lost in the echoes, and the cover it had hidden under grinds into place, sealing the pit once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d4)[13] acid damage to Grimmgang, Reflex DC14 for half.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

"Was that your dragon? It doesn't seem to particularly like fighting indoors. Do we have anything we could use to set up a trap for it?
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    reflex - (1d20+8)[22]

Grimmgang rolled sideways to avoid the jet of acid, but some of it still got his leg and burned it lightly. By the time his roll brought him in an upward position again, the dragon was already retreating and gone before he could do anything.
    "Course that was 'my' dragon, or do you think they got a whole litter around here?", Grimmgang snapped at Daiya. Trunk, who understood the language of dragons, nodded vigorously at Daiyas question for lack of another way to communicate.

"it's got an mobility advantage", Grimmgang mused, more calm now. "It knows the terrain and wherever that tunnel leads has most likely other exits, so we won't be able to corner it." He sighed for a long moment. "Best bet is to immobilize it when it attacks again, and I forgot to bring tanglefoot bags. Daiya and I should keep our bows at the ready with poisoned arrows so we at least get some shots in if it decides to keep going with hit and run tactics. And if it dedicates to a fight we simply rip it's head off."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-08-25 at 07:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

"I have a feeling that beast is more than a mere pet to the Blackscales. We need to find another way down..."

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye. Let's take a look around the temple and see what options we have, the dragon would likely lead us in an ambush."

Spoiler
    Show
    bow at the ready from now on. I'd proceed with exploring as before the dragon attacked us

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

"Pass me a couple of those poisoned arrows then, Grimm. He shows up again, he'll have a nasty surprise waiting for him." Daiya, following Grimmgang's example, keeps her bow out and one of the arrows in hand for the dragon's next appearance.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Your search through the temple reveals a pair of pressure-activated secret passages, but no further opposition; the lizardfolk appear to be either all dead or to have simply retreated. The other two shafts, one in the eastern wing and one on the temple portico, appear to be identical to the one the dragon came out of, and it is not long before the grinding of stone echoes through the building once again. This time, however, Daiya's enhanced senses detect the dragon's approach before it can attack, granting you that essential second to prepare ere it comes into view.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, we're going to slip into combat time from here on out. Initiative order is as follows, so I'll post once Grimmgang has acted and we'll shift into the usual order from there. Map might be a bit excessive; don't know how long this fight is going to be, but ah well. You're all somewhere in the A9 area; the dragon is approaching from the northern corridor. The secret passageways are activated from the ends in the wings, and appear to require at least ~150 pounds of pressure to open the doors, which close again immediately after the pressure is lifted.
    Grimmgang: 28
    Dragon: 22
    Shard: 21
    Daiya: 21
    Trunk: 15

Last edited by Sallera; 2011-08-28 at 06:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang was examining the altar more closely when Daiya gave a short warning of the dragon approaching. He immediately spun around and nocked one of the poisoned arrows, taking aim at the northern corridor, ready to fire once he had a clear shot

Spoiler
    Show
    ooooh, boss fight this looks interesting

location II8, Ready Action to shoot if I have LoE without cover on the dragon, the dragon tries to leave LoS again or ends turn in LoS

attack - (1d20+6)[7]
    damage - (1d8+3)[7] and poison - (1d6)[2]

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

The dragon dives into view as the dwarf's shot goes far wide, spitting a jet of acid across Grimmgang and Daiya before making a swift turn and retreating out of sight down the corridor.

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d4)[8] damage, DC14 Reflex for half.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Shard doubletimes it after the dragon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Doublemove from EE5 up to T3. If this gives me the opportunity to charge-strike, please let me know.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya manages to nimbly evade most of the acid breath, taking only minor burns from it before she returns fire using one of the lizardfolks' poisoned arrows, closing her eyes to better feel the location of the dragon.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    I forgot what the poison damage dice is, unfortunately. Can you roll that for me?

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

The acid still singed his left shoulder when Grimmgang bounded after the dragon to get it back in sight, drawing an arrow in full run and releasing it at the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex - (1d20+8)[13]
    Partial move to FF5 for running start, Sudden Leap as far west as possible (1d20+9)[11]
    continue move as far west as possible
    if that gets me back in sight on the dragon
    attack - (1d20+8)[19]
    damage - (1d8+3)[4]
    if I have LoS without cover I'll use a poisoned arrow, subtract 2 from attack [rol=poison]1d6[/roll]

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

The dragon's retreat has already taken it out of sight, and you struggle to catch up with the swift-flying creature. Only Drasil seems capable of keeping pace with it, and even she can only follow, as it keeps out of reach above. Diving forward, it unleashes another breath of acid over its shoulder, spraying across Shard and Drasil, while it flees out the doorway toward the forward shaft.

Trunk's inspection of the altar stone reveals that it is set in a carved space in the floor rather than being a part of the temple, but it has clearly been there for decades, at least, and packed dirt and dust hold it in place along with its immense weight. Moving it may not be entirely impossible, but it would require a great feat of strength.

Spoiler
    Show
    Single moves wouldn't have brought Daiya and Grimmgang in sight of the dragon, since it was around the corner already, so I had them take double moves. Dragon is now at +5 altitude just above the shaft entrance.

(4d4)[7] acid damage to Drasil and Shard, Reflex DC14 half.

...oh, and I suppose since you mentioned a boss fight, I should link some appropriate accompaniment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+1[/roll]

Shard stops in it's tracks as the acid eats into it's fine finish.

"This is pointless Grimmgang. We need a way to ground it. At this rate it will simply wear us down."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-09-03 at 04:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang stared after the dragon retreating down the shaft, brows furrowed in thought how to combat a vastly more mobile foe intent on hit and run tactics, until out of the corner of his eye he saw what Trunk was doing. "The altar, of course... Get it over the pit! If we can't catch the dragon, we have to limit the playing field.
    And as for me",
    he said, draping a mesh of grey color blending into the surrounding stone over his shoulders. "It can't evade my potshots if it can't see me. Go."

Spoiler
    Show
    hide with camouflage netting north of the first pillar. Next turn ready action to shoot as before

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Shard nods and runs over to aid Trunk.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[22] Str check or aid another +2 bonus if Trunk gets a better result.

Edit: wow. nat 20, whodathunk?
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-09-03 at 07:56 PM.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Barbarian in the Playground

Seeing Shard's steadfast determination and the plan forming around around everybodies actions, Trunk wastes no time in helping him. The sight of the dragon though is very disconcerting. Of course Trunk knew about dragons, everybody did, and he spoke their language but to see a real dragon for the first time in his short life span and this may be his last...

Spoiler
    Show
    So I THINK I'm caught up with the current combat and the tactical situation, though I'm sure there are large gaps in that knowledge. What I need to know is if anybody has kept a track of mine and Drasil's HP, spells, action points and any other consumable resource.

Aid another:strength check (1d20-1)[10]
    Awesome avatar created by Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    DM says: *Anything, anything at all.*

Players think: "Obviously, the solution is murder!"
    Player Registry

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya sees Trunk and Shard attempting to push the altar and rushes over, not to help, but to guard their backs. Preparing for an oncoming dragon, she nocks an arrow and waits for the arrival of the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to be near the big guys but not in the way; ready action to fire a poisoned arrow at the dragon if it comes into view.

Also, Fury, Trunk was in bear Wild Shape last I saw him. Pretty sure that brown bears have a strength bonus, not penalty.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Locking stone fingers and wooden claws behind the altar with an extraordinary feat of strength, Shard and Trunk manage to dislodge the carved block from its base, and it topples over with a resounding crash. The marble plate atop the altar breaks away from the main block as it falls, and although it is still heavy, it is easy enough for the fleshless members of the party to drag it overtop the shaft. It is not quite large enough to block the entrance completely, and the stone is cracked from the fall, but it is certainly enough to prevent a winged creature from making use of the route. Grimmgang and Daiya assume vigilant positions, but see no sign of the dragon yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like that was two rounds for everyone; no one mentioned Drasil, so I just had her chase the dragon as far as she could. Carry on with the next round.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Blending into the surrounding stone, Grimmgang stood still like he was an extension of the pillar his body was nestling to. He made deep, slow breaths, willing his flesh to become one with the stone. Only his eyes kept moving, scanning each visible entrance for a sign of the dragon while his hands steadily kept the bow at the ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    well, since we're in combat I should roll hide, no take 10 (1d20+11)[20]

readied poison arrow if dragon is in LoS without cover, leaves LoS or ends turn