New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

With little to do besides act like a walking target to the flying menace, Shard buckles down to wait out the tension.

Finally it speaks, "Is sitting here the best option? We need to find a way to ground it, or otherwise make it fight us on our terms...perhaps one of the other rooms?"

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

"I thought that we just set this room to be on our terms." Daiya answers, arrow still nocked, waiting for the creature to appear again.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

"What if it doesn't come? What if it leaves us here to rot? Sooner or later we will have to leave, and I understand it, Dragons are very patient..." Shard replies.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Barbarian in the Playground

All to aware of the irony that his current form may make him stronger, Trunk is also far weaker in a way as he has no way to communicate with the others. Trunk thinks to himself It can still use that other hole but there wasn't anything too suitable to block it with. Maybe we can lure it or aggravate it into coming down to our level. It must be staying here for something, if only we could endanger that purpose it may come to protect it. In the mean time, Trunk moves to wall on the west of the room to take cover next to it, reducing the dragon's line of sighton himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Any ideas on how to bring it down? I'd considered my inbuilt rod of ropes to grapple it down? I'd like to find some use for the item I bought and then nerfed it into my body for flavorful fun. I'd need alot of help from others though, that thing is alot stronger than me. Another option is a SNA summon to even the odds somewhat.
    Awesome avatar created by Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    DM says: *Anything, anything at all.*

Players think: "Obviously, the solution is murder!"
    Player Registry

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

The dragon wings into view at the southern end of the main hall, suddenly alert as it spots Grimmgang tucked behind the pillar. After a quick jerk of its head to check for the rest, it twists its face into a death's head grin and darts forward, unleashing a spray of acid almost at the same time as Grimmgang returns fire, then turns and retreats the way it came, apparently noticing Drasil guarding the other shaft.

Spoiler
    Show
    No one moved much this round, so no new map. (4d4)[12] Ref 14 half to Grimmgang, and go ahead and roll for your readied action.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

When the dragons senses pierced his cover Grimmgang hissed a curse into his beard, releasing his arrow and then ducking sideways to let the pillar shelter him against the gout of acid coming his way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex - (1d20+8)[16]
    attack - (1d20+6)[15]
    damage - (1d8+3)[7] poison - (1d6)[6]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

7. - Top - End - #517

Trunk moves the western room, quickly shifting to his bipedal form without breaking stride. Drasil, leave the Dragon and come back! Shouting over to Grimmgang, his hiding place in shadows now discovered, Trunk beckons him down. Everybody, we need a plan. I propose we go down the hole and lure it down there, atleast there'll be a ceiling there. Besides, there might be something we pose a threat to, luring it down to protect it. Grimm, you're good with rope, Could you tie me to something over there? Trunk waves his arm in the general direction of the westerly room. I'll then lower myself down and we can all climb down the rope. It's currently the best and only real plan so it's sounding very plausible right now

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action to change back to Treeforged. I'll then move to the western room as far as I can, which will take 2 turns now I'm looking at the map. On my first turn of moving then I'll move to DD6, Drasil will double move to W6 near Grimm. I'd ask to use an action point for a move action but I'd only end up getting there earlier than everybody and be over exposed.

Player Registry

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

Shard nods. "We must hurry. As it stands we are...how do you water beings say...resting waterfowl?"

It moves to follow Trunk.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-09-13 at 06:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Sweat was beading on Grimmgangs forehead when his arrow missed the strafing dragon. His shoulders slumped as he was unsure how to get out of this dire situation when he heard Trunk propose his plan.
    His mind worked rapidly on the feasability of the idea. Fleeing into unknown territory that your enemy is familiar with and that was hard to get out of again was completely contradictory to his combat doctrine... But they were in a desperate situation and it may be their best hope.
    "Alright, let's get a move on", he finally said, the decision made. He ran quickly to the western room, letting his rope down the hole and tying it to the chain that was used to keep the wolverine in place.

Spoiler
    Show
    alright, I think we can slip out of single-turn actions for a moment since we're now all occupied with moving down the shaft for now
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya maintains her vigil, shortbow still nocked and ready in case the dragon makes yet another reappearance.

When the rope is ready and her turn comes along, she'll move down the rope as quickly as is safe. Until then, her allies would not be caught unguarded.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2011-09-14 at 01:06 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

You manage to make it to the western room without being attacked again; although Daiya senses the presence of the dragon briefly, it appears to retreat again rather than coming into sight. As Grimmgang finishes tying off the rope, however, it returns, flying in from the southern corridor and circling the room with a swift intensity. Unlike its previous forays, it does not attack even when Daiya fires, and as it moves to flee back down the corridor, it calls down the shaft in Draconic. "<Now is good shiny time! But don't waste on them! Use less shiny one!>"

"<Yesyes, know already! Is not wasting!>" comes a reply from the bottom, and Trunk and Grimmgang briefly catch a glimpse of a second dragon, nearly twin to the first, before the sight is eclipsed by a brightly glowing golden bead the dragon tosses up the shaft just before backing out of sight. Even those who see it coming have only a second to react before it expands into an eerily silent burst of fire - that, oddly enough, is immediately sucked toward the corpse of the blackscale you killed earlier, extinguished harmlessly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Daiya, go ahead and roll your readied action.

After that, (4d6)[18] fire damage to everyone, Reflex DC14 for half. Edit: Hah, never mind! I just realized where you're standing. ^^
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-09-15 at 11:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[23](1d6+3)[7]

Daiya's hearing tells her the dragon is coming before it arrives, and as soon as it comes into range she looses with her bow, hoping to get a good strike in, and maybe the poison will take hold. When the fireball goes off, Daiya is somewhat surprised; she had not had any evidence that magic was going on before this point. When it is sucked into the corpse of the blackscale, she turns her mind that way briefly, taking stock of all the magic emanating from it and making a mental note to collect anything useful from it before they leave.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #523
    Troll in the Playground

"What was that???" inquired Shard incredulously at the silent explosion. "Why were we left unharmed?"

The crystal crusader continued with it's companions down the rope...

14. - Top - End - #524

Trunk watches the dragon close in from the south, only to pause in it's attack. Translating the words being spoken and the sudden ball of fire that engulfs them, the fact that there's two dragons dawned on Trunk Ah, this plan hasn't panned out very well. Trunk quickly surveys the scene and his friend descending into the hole, into the mouth of a waiting dragon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is the first dragon now on the floor or just flying through the corridor? I will probably be following Shard down there unless a better plan arises.

Player Registry

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang stared blankly into space for some precious moments, his left eye twitching violently. "Orks. Orks with axes. Why can't I ever have something simple like that." Rallying himself, he slid down the rope, letting himself fall the last ten feet and examining the area below.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

"Would that it were that simple, Grim. But no glory is won without a little challenge now and then, right?"

Daiya maintains her vigil as the last of the team goes over the edge of the cliff, then climbs down behind them.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[5]

Also, should anyone fail the climb and begin to fall while in range, I'll save them with Feather Fall. This includes myself, obviously.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang's expertly executed descent leaves the nearer dragon somewhat surprised; it turns its head with a hiss, looking at the dwarf in apparent confusion and asking something in Draconic. "<Why you not burn? You dwarf of water, to put out fire? Told you we should have used shiniest one!>" This last is directed at the first dragon as it descends the central shaft, into a room only dimly lit by the illumination filtering down from above. A large pile of coins broken up by a few bits of armour and weaponry sits under a massive draconic skeleton, and the 'shinies' in question appear to be a string of glowing beads atop the mound, similar to the one the dragon threw at you earlier. A pedestal of some sort sits next to the hoard; it is difficult to make out its details from this distance, however.

The nearer dragon sprays acid at Grimmgang with a disgruntled huff, continuing its flight away while Shard and Trunk make their much slower way down the shaft and Daiya guards them from above.

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d4)[8] acid to Grimmgang, Reflex 14 half. Shard's 10ft down the rope, Trunk and Drasil 5ft down, Daiya still at the top.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Ignoring the unintelligible bickering of the dragons, Grimmgang called out "They got more of those fire grenades!" to his companions above. He touched one of the moonstones on his belt to let its healing energy flow through him, mending some of the acid burns, and advanced further on the dragons.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex - (1d20+8)[26] oh Evasion how I long for thee
    Healing - (2d8)[8]

move 1 south, 3 SE, 1 south
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-09-21 at 04:19 AM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

The dragons wheel to face Grimmgang, both of them darting down the tunnel and diving in to snap at his shoulders in turn, before ascending once more and circling the small room at the bottom of the shaft, espying the three climbing down from above.

"<Others not burn either! Useless bead!>"

"<Less complaining, more killing thieves.>"

Spoiler
    Show
    The rest of you can make your less-than-elegant entrance this turn; after the climbing and falling, assume you've all got one standard action left.

Bite 1: (1d20+9)[24]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]
    Bite 2: (1d20+9)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

Slipping from the rope as the bulk of its armor impedes its arm, Shard plummets and for a moment considers that this may be the shattering end of its humanoid existence, but then his partner catches them all with a spell. Once upon the ground, Shard engages the dragon there, screening Trunk and Daiya as they descend.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Guard's glare

(1d5)[3]Stone Bones
    (1d5)[3]Duplicate
    (1d5)[5]Douse the Flames
    Using Douse the Flames
    attack(1d20+5)[14]
    Damage (2d6+5)[13]

Last edited by TekHed; 2011-09-25 at 07:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Finally seeing an opportunity to pin one of the dragons down, Grimmgang blew all refined swordsmanship in the wind and simply lept at the nearest one, locking his arms around its waist and trying to push it down with his Dwarven bulk.

Spoiler
    Show
    one bite hits, fails to penetrate DR
    bottom of the shaft, so... ground level? Nice

move north, northwest
    touch - (1d20+7)[12] provoking AoO, needs 4+ damage against AC 21 to prevent
    grappe - (1d20+7)[23]
    damage - (2d6+3)[9]

Spoiler
    Show
    never mind, misread the part about them ascending to the landing in the middle. Instead I'll double move to their loot pile. More specifically, to the shinies o they can't use them on us without taking an AoO from me for picking it up
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-09-25 at 08:46 AM.

22. - Top - End - #532

Grimm's in trouble, I'd better hurry this up. Letting go of the rope Trunk begins to fall and is instantaneously cushioned on his way down. Attentive as always Daiya, thank you. As Shard and Drasil land next to him, Trunk bows and offers Shard first use of the corridor, knowing he would much rather be going toe to toe with these magical beasts than struggling to reach them. Off you go then. Trunk pats Shard on the shoulder as it passes, strengthening it with his touch.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I'm ahead of Shard in initiative I delay my turn to go after, if It's ahead of me then that was just flavor. Also I cast Bulls Strength on Shard because buffs are good.

Player Registry

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

"Alright, it's time to finish this. We've got them cornered, but we won't be able to last out forever against them."

Daiya, once landed, senses for the dragons' presence before calling a large beam of heat into being from her outstretched hand, firing it at the nearer dragon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ranged Touch:(1d20+8)[14]
    Damage (4d6)[17]

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

The dragon screeches in pain as its hide turns grey and papery where the ray strikes, turning and following the other back down the tunnel and spraying a jet of acid over its shoulder in retaliation. The first is already flying in pursuit of Grimmgang, a murderous intent evident in its silence as the dwarf lands atop the hoard in a spray of coins, and it blasts him without a care for the treasure beneath.

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d4)[8] damage to Daiya and Drasil, (4d4)[12] to Grimmgang. Reflex DC14 half as usual. The dragons are both at +10 elevation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

The dragons anger made Grimmgang smirk; evidently he was on the right course. "You want that back?" he teased, picking up the neglace and shoving it in his backpack, silently praying it won't just explode in his face. "Come and get it."

Spoiler
    Show
    reflex - (1d20+8)[15]
    5 foot step east, pick up as described
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-09-27 at 04:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #536

Gods, Grimm's in a bad position Trunk rushes forwards with Drasil to Grimmgangs aid, whether he would ask for it or not. Faster girl! Trunk cries as Drasil shoots ahead of him with her faster legs. the sound of wood impacting on stone rings down the corridor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drasils reflex (1d20+7)[25]
    Drasil can double move to the square north of dragon B2.
    Trunk double moves to the north square at the end of the corridor, just before it enters the room.

Player Registry

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

Bounding down the corridor with a cacophonous creaking from it's wounds, Shard joined it's organic comrade. There was little else it could do...

Spoiler
    Show
    Double your pleasure, double your move, down the corridor alongside Trunkmeister.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya likewise hightails it into the main chamber, her considerably smaller footsteps drowned out by the clack of wood and the melodic thud of crystal against the stone.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

The dragons respond predictably to Grimmgang's taunting, circling him like vultures and giving him a similar look as they dive down to seek a few more mouthfuls of dwarf; they seem to care little about the rest of you, for the moment.

"<Eat thief before he dead, spit him at other thieves, I think.>"

Spoiler
    Show
    The pile of coins counts as difficult terrain, so no 5ft step, but it makes no real difference.
    Bite 1: (1d20+9)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]
    Bite 2: (1d20+9)[10]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]

Dragons are at +10ft, again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

The dragons' fury made their dives straightforward and Grimmgang dodged sideways to avoid their swerves. He turned sidestep into a roll down the pile of coins and quickly scrambled up the wall to get close enough to one dragon to make a grab at its tail.

Spoiler
    Show
    move 3 west, climb 5 feet up
    grapple attempt, provoking AoO (1d20+7)[12] 4+ damage against AC 21 to prevent
    grapple - (1d20+7)[17]
    nonlethal - (1d3+3)[6]
    lethal - (1d6)[3]