New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Shard runs to Grimmgang's aid, but being unable to reach the flying dragon, awaits it to come within reach.

(Readied action as discussed).

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-10-04 at 11:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

The dragon shrieks in surprise as Grimmgang latches on to its tail, attempting to swivel around and bite the dwarf's hand off at the wrist; although the armoured flesh is tougher than it expected, it manages to yank itself free.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO: (1d20+9)[24]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]
    Grapple: (1d20+4)[21]

No luck, it seems. Continue with the turn.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-10-04 at 09:14 PM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #543
    Barbarian in the Playground

Trunk calmly walks into the room, weighing up his options. We need to pull one of these down now, before they cook Grimm. I may need help with this though. He looks up at the closest dragon and whispers <Come here.> in raspy draconic. Trunk bends his torso down and bgeins to take on one of natures forms. His body remains largely the same, though his arms end in powerful claws, his legs thicken into bulky, muscly thighs able to spring forward. His head extends into a longer, draconic skull with snapping jaws.

From the wooden joint of his arm pits Trunk grows thick vines and extends them up to his clawed wrists. They hang from his wrists, six inches of vine ending in snapping green maws.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trunk moves 3 across and 1 down. Transform into Fleshraker because the mental image of a crocodile tongue grappling a dragon didn't seem as cool when I thought about it later. Also, this is serious stuff! My original idea mentally was for the fleskraker form to be swinging the vines in circles for momentum, but then decided that would be silly with their arms. Now I'm thinking they shoot out like some sort of fanged green grappling hooks Or like Spiderman....
    Awesome avatar created by Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    DM says: *Anything, anything at all.*

Players think: "Obviously, the solution is murder!"
    Player Registry

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Daiya follows the rest of you into the room and neatly pins a poisoned arrow to the second dragon, which staggers slightly in its flight before diving downward and breathing a jet of acid over Shard and Daiya; while it appears to be trusting in its erratic flight pattern to keep it safe from retaliation, the crystalline warrior is ready for it, and slices deeply into its flank before it can retreat. The other snaps at Grimmgang again before gliding around to the opposite side of the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Daiya hits 2 for 9 damage and poison, and if I recall correctly, Shard rolled 14.

(4d4)[9] damage to Shard and Daiya, Reflex DC14 half.

Attack on Grimmgang: (1d20+9)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]

Dragons return to +10ft as usual.

Last edited by Sallera; 2011-10-09 at 04:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Shard readies it's sword in preparation for Trunk's vine-grapple. As it does so, it accesses the cosmic knowledge of the Cruciform, looking for any small advantage that might help it's friends survive.

Spoiler
    Show
    rolling knowledge devotion:

(1d20+7)[20]

yay! +2 to hit and damage...Also Salera my last attack forgot to include the +2 to attack and damage from Trunk's Bull Strength.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-10-10 at 03:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

When his attempt to pull down one of the dragons failed, Grimmgang let himself fall from the wall and again switched to bow and arrow. He pursued the one that bit him, shooting an arrow at it as it retreated.

Spoiler
    Show
    with two identical, nameless dragons I couldn't quite follow which has been hit by what. I'l target B2 for now unless it looks like B1 is close to dropping

move 2 SE, 1 S
    attack - (1d20+8)[9] damage - (2d8+3)[18] skirmish - (1d6)[4]
    well, at least lucky I didn't take a poisoned arrow
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-10-10 at 11:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

7. - Top - End - #547

Swaying from side to side, bouncing from one clawed foot to the other, Trunk flexes his new reptilian arms as vines snake around them. Weighing up his options he suddenly lunges forwards and shoots his vines at the dragon nearest him. Snapping vines extend from his arms and zip through the air, soaring towards the body of the beast.

Drasil hunkers down low, ready to pounce on any foe who comes close enough, knowing that she cannot chase them around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ranged touch attack: (1d20+7)[25]
    Opposed Grapple: (1d20+6)[9]
    Opposed Strength check? (1d20+3)[19]

Subsequent rolls are of course if the previous rolls succeed. I could do with an Aid Another on the strength check from anybody available, though I can understand if they don't want to waste their turn on these half-baked ideas.

Drasil will be readying an action to attack any dragon that flies near enough to attack it. I'll roll the OOC though as I stupidly posted this to check my grapple rolls before making Drasil's actions.
    Last edited by FuryOfMetal; 2011-10-10 at 02:49 PM.

Player Registry

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

The dragon is taken off guard by Trunk's unconventional attack, and one gets the impression it has not often dealt with carnivorous trees, but it snaps its wings straight outward as the vines begin to close, loosening their grasp and slipping away before they can gain a solid hold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Opposed grapple: (1d20+4)[21]
    Still need actions from Daiya, and possibly Shard.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-10-11 at 07:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya growls under her breath, and to those listening closely the growls are the words of a spell. Then she stretches her hand out again, firing her last beam of heat that she can this day.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[28]
    (4d6)[12]
    Ranged Touch, Scorching Ray damage.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang's arrow snaps as it hits the pedestal, but Daiya manages to strike the first dragon directly over the sternum, searing a streak of flesh down to the bone, and its shrill, tea-kettle scream fills the underground chamber. The dragons circle around for another strike, one spitting a retaliatory jet of acid for its brother's injury, and the other snapping at Trunk, although in its carelessness it allows Drasil to nip at its tail.

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d4)[11] acid to Trunk and Daiya, Reflex DC14 half.
    Attack on Trunk: (1d20+9)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]
    Drasil gets her readied action.

Dragons (still) at +10ft, and both of them are looking pretty battered.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-10-13 at 12:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

Shard doesn't move, but it's eyes begin to glow with a pale white light...

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Deathwatch...

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Seizing the opportunity created by Daiyas spell, Grimmgang shot an arrow at the badly singed dragon to finally bring it down.

Spoiler
    Show
    move 4 north
    attack - (1d20+8)[18]
    damage - (1d8+3)[6] skirmish - (1d6)[3]
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

13. - Top - End - #553

Seeing the obvious damage Daiya's spell just wrought against the flesh of her target, Trunk shifts his attacks against the other, knowing it was a better use of the scant seconds before Daiya's dragon goes down. Drasil waits again for an oppurtunity to arise, watching her prey at all times.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ranged touch attack: (1d20+7)[14]
    Opposed Grapple: (1d20+6)[10]
    Opposed Strength check? (1d20+3)[17]

Drasil's readied attack roll: (1d20+7)[13]
    (1d6+3)[9]

Player Registry

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Dodging most of the acid, Daiya answers in kind with a rapid arrow, before ducking behind cover for the possibility of a counterattack.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[21]
    (1d6+3)[4]
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang and Daiya sink a matched pair of arrows into the second dragon's chest, and it spins to the ground, sliding up against the wall with a thud.

"<Brother!>" It is difficult to tell whether the other's cry stems from sorrow or anger, but it clearly hesitates, torn between the desires for vengeance, protecting its horde, and protecting itself. In the end, it seems to go with a mix of all three, diving down over the pedestal dials to avoid Trunk's vines and blasting Grimmgang, Shard, and Drasil before flying down the eastern passage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shard, the second dragon is dying, but not dead. The other is still healthy to your sight.
    Trunk, your attack misses due to the improvised weapon penalty.
    (4d4)[10] acid damage to Grimmgang, Shard, and Drasil, Reflex DC14 half. The remaining dragon is just by the first bend in the eastern tunnel; as far as you can tell, it's probably running away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang actually cheered out loud when the first dragon went down, relief clearly visible on his face. As the other dragon fled, he followed a hunch instead of shooting an arrow after it, scrambling up the pedestal and grabbing the easternmost dial with both hands, turning it with all his strength so the marking currently pointing to the center instead went in the opposite direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    strength check - (1d20+3)[16]
    DC can't be that hard if a small dragon did it. In case of bad roll Action Point incoming. May not be worth it in terms of ressource management, but certainly in entertainment value

17. - Top - End - #557

Trunk stands still on the spot, his bipedal form relaxed and unmoving, as he begins casting a spell. Trunk is irritated that he didn't think of this at first, but then again there was the battle lust suffusing him and his friends at the time. He reaches into the spirit within him, his connection with nature, and begins to call forth upon a large bat similiar to the kind he sees soaring the skies at night looking for prey. As he weaves his magic tiny shoots of plant growth stretch out from cracks in the ground and reach out to each other, knitting into thicker strands which then wrap around their neighbours.

As he finishes creating his new ally the organics nearby feel a subsonic thump on the diaphragms as it's high pitched battle call, beyond the hearing of most creatures, resonates through the chamber. Hovering infront of Trunk is a creation of plant matter, beating wings thick and leathery like waxy leaves, a bark covered body with tiny squinting eyes of acorns. It hovers for a moment before registering the enemy in the room.

Drasil moves to the pedestal and hops up onto the top of it and hopes for the dragon to fly back down the corridor to her, seeing that it's escape route is blocked.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trunk has cast SNA II in place of a prepared 2nd level spell, I'll choose Lesser Restoration which I still have marked down as prepared from way back when Daiya needed it, for a Dire Bat. Next turn I'll actually move somewhere

Drasil jumps onto pedestal hopefully, DC10 to hop up. (1d20+10)[24] Surely it's an auto succeed but I've rolled anyway.

She's also readying an attack if the dragon passes her on the way back.
    (1d20+7)[27]
    (1d6+3)[9]

Player Registry

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

There is a grinding of stone, and a frantic cry from the dragon as it realizes what is happening and tries to speed up, but it is cut off by a hiccough of pain as Daiya's arrow tears a small hole through its wing, and the dull thud of the shaft closing comes well before it reaches the end of the corridor. It wheels around and returns, an expression of desperation warring with its natural fearsome mien, and swerves toward its hoard, keeping its distance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dragon's at +15.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #559

Trunks new winged ally soars in to attack the foe on it's on terms, the air. Trunk however moves forwards and begins sending out snapping vines to strike at the Dragon's damaged body. Drasil sees that she isn't very useful owing to the dragons aerial movement. She instead goes to sniff at the recently slain dragons corpse and make sure it won't be coming back by tearing at it's jugular.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry Sallera, forgot to specify where I was summoning this bat, I meant for it just to appear infront of me.

Trunk moves south to the square adjacent to Shard's current map position and uses his vines to attack.
    (1d20+7)[17]
    (1d6)[6]

The bat just flies up and attacks as normal with a bite. I want it to fly to a position where it won't block any ranged attacks so any square on the left hand side of the Dragon.
    (1d20+5)[12]
    (1d8+4)[6]
    Last edited by FuryOfMetal; 2011-10-20 at 03:54 PM.

Player Registry

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

"I am so sorry my friends. I cannot reach the creature to aid you." Shard is visibly frustrated that it has been unable to contribute much to this battle, in spite of the extra power flowing through it's body from Trunk's empowering spell. At least, thus far, none of them had been mortally wounded, though they all bore hideous burns from the dragon's acidic bile...

Spoiler
    Show

Finally getting to that Reflex roll:

(1d20+1)[3]

Otherwise Shard continues to move towards/under the dragon, waiting for it to be in range of a sword swipe.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

"If you want to feel useful, help me turn those dials and put your back into it! And I really could use some healing over here!" Grimmgang got between the two remaining dials, ready to turn either of them if the dragon made a run for the exits.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready action to turn dial corresponding to the exit the dragon is closest to(except the eastern of course) if he approaches within 20 feet of it or ends his turn
    strength check - (1d20+3)[17]

22. - Top - End - #562
    Troll in the Playground

"Right!" Shard touches Grimmgang allowing some of the positive energy of the Cruciform entity to flow into the dwarf. He then grabs the dials with Grimmgang and prepares to heave.

Spoiler
    Show

Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+1)[9]Edit: that should have been +2 so Grimmy gets 10 HP.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-10-21 at 08:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

"I lack the power to heal, but there's only one dragon left. We should be able to defeat it without further issue."

Daiya punctuates her remark with the aid of a single standard arrow, fired at the dragon.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[28]
    (1d6+3)[9]

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Trunk's vines smack into the dragon, spinning it around as it narrowly avoids the bat's bite, and before it can go further, Daiya's arrow plunges deep into its chest at an awkward angle, and it spirals slowly to the ground. For a moment, it seems unconscious, but then it fixes pleading eyes on you as it cringes away. "<Waitwaitwait! No kill! I leave, I give you shinies and temple, I never come back, I not tell anyone you here! I - I not try to hurt you later...>" This last seems to be a concept it considers quite unnatural. "<But no kill!>"

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, there you have it. Victory at last. I hope that battle didn't end up being boring for you lot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang couldn't understand the dragons words, but his tone and posture gave him a good idea. "Less talk, more sleepy time", he answered, rapping the flat of his axe on the dragons head to incapacitate him.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+4)[11]
    nonlethal - (1d10+4)[13]
    If we negotiate with the dragon I'd rather do it while it is tied up
    edit: err, no luck

how was that supposed to be boring? First time I ever fought dragons and it sure wasn't easy
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-10-23 at 05:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

"What does it say?" Shard asked. "Does it plead for Succor? Perhaps we should end it's suffering..."

Spoiler
    Show
    If we wait for Fury to translate we're going to have to pause until he gets back in 10-14 days...

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

With the battle effectively ended, Trunk resumes his humanoid form to answer Shard's question, and the bat flaps down to circle warily just above the dragon. "It is asking us to grant it mercy. It promises to grant us this place and all it contains, and offers to effectively forget everything that transpired here and seek no revenge."

The dragon abruptly prostrates itself as Grimmgang approaches, somehow managing to make the movement seem entirely coincidental while the axe passes narrowly over its head.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

"I am not certain I can trust it's words. My experience in corporeal form has shown me that most creatures will lie without compunction to save their lives and seek vengeance at a later time. Given that it is a dragon, should we allow such a creature to hold a grudge?"

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah yes, that old 'risk or murder' dilemma. How about we take some time to discuss this after the bugger can't make a run for it at any opportune moment?" He dropped his axe, only to suddenly grab at the dragon, trying to put its lights out.

Spoiler
    Show
    I might embarass myself if I keep failing to subdue a dragon that doesn't fight back
    touch - (1d20+7)[26]
    grapple - (1d20+7)[15]
    nonlethal - (1d3+3)[5] not using the spikes

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Put off guard by Grimmgang dropping his weapon, the dragon is easily caught by the dwarf's quick hands, but flops around helplessly, proving surprising difficult to get an effective hold on. "<Not kill! I said I not hurt you!>"

Spoiler
    Show
    Opposed grapple: (1d20+4)[21]
    Incidentally, Shard, with your Deathwatch, you can probably guess the reason it's not attempting to fight back is that Daiya's arrow is going to puncture its lung if it tries much harder.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-10-23 at 08:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei