New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

"Best way to avoid traps is not to be where they expect you to be", Grimmgang said matter-of-factly as he unpacked about a dozen inconspicious looking metal rods that soon formed a 22 feet long pole when he stuck them together. Checking for pressure plates and hidden pitfalls from a save distance, he slowly advanced down the corridor, searching the walls for hidden mechanisms until he reached the portcullis.

Spoiler
    Show
    should've taken 2 more search... Take 20 for 23 along the way. And look for a way to open the portcullis

huh, I was sure I bought some metal spikes, but they're not on my sheet. Would've put two in the door. Only slows it down, but if there is a trap that should be enough to get out
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's why we're back here, friend; not up there. Shout if you need aid."

Daiya stands just outside the door, ready to run to Grimmgang's help if he calls for it.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Barbarian in the Playground

Trunk stands next to Daiya, casually leaning against a wall and watches his friend work. Having fun there, friend? Just call if you need some help, I'll make sure to bring my stick to.
    Last edited by FuryOfMetal; 2011-11-04 at 04:48 PM.
    Awesome avatar created by Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    DM says: *Anything, anything at all.*

Players think: "Obviously, the solution is murder!"
    Player Registry

4. - Top - End - #604
    Troll in the Playground

Shard frets for Grimmgang after the door seals him inside the corridor.

"I do hope this is not a heinous trap..."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-11-04 at 07:06 PM.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

The text of the inscriptions aboveground is archaic enough that even Trunk cannot read all of it, but translated into Common, it reads roughly: "Behold the triumphs of Kha'shazul, the <untranslatable>, forever preserved here in stone as he preserved us when the <untranslatable> would have taken this Age for their own. Know, ye of the lesser races, that you sleep without fear by his grace, for bound or broken, they can only lie at his feet and hunger forever more for the <untranslatable> works they lost."

Grimmgang makes it most of the way down the corridor with his unwieldy implement before he finds anything amiss; an almost imperceptible bit of extra give in the last ten feet of the corridor reveals a pressure plate. Several minutes of prodding later, he has managed to discern that the six inches nearest the side walls and a foot-wide band in front of the portcullis are safe to navigate, although perhaps difficult. The only other visible mechanism is the lever behind the portcullis; it is in reach, if one wishes to test whether it still functions. Alternately, the wall to the right of the portcullis appears somewhat structurally unsound; with some work (and careful balancing), one could likely break through there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just for the record, I'm giving you a -2 to Search while using a 22ft pole. If that thing's hollow metal, it'll probably be bending under its own weight, and you can't use visual cues too well at that distance; unwieldy is putting it lightly. But you found the trap anyway.

DC15 Balance to stand on the sides; Strength check of unknown DC or a lot of bashing required if you feel like trying to force your way through that wall.

Edit: Just in case I haven't made it clear, it's a twenty-foot wide corridor, and a ten-foot wide portcullis, so breaking down the wall would take you past the portcullis rather than off to the east.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-11-05 at 01:24 AM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    actually, the intention wasn't to use the pole for ranged searching, but to intentionally trigger traps while at a hopefully save distance. Sort of like sending summoned animals down corridors, only without PETA sending assassins after you

I'm not entirely sure how this looks. So first the secret door, then a bit of corridor, then the portcullis, then another bit of corridor with lever and pressure plate?

Anyway, I'll Mountain Hammer through the weak piece of wall before trying anything else; makes me feel a bit safer, kinda boxed in between a massive secret door and a portcullis
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A few minutes of careful strikes weakens the wall enough for you to push through to the other side, which holds a single lever and a long, winding set of stairs leading further down into the earth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Secret door, about a hundred and fifty feet of corridor, ten feet of pressure plate, then portcullis and lever. I assumed you were actually trying to find the traps; if you just want to poke everything and deliberately set off anything obvious, you won't really need a Search roll. Anyway, assuming you jump over the plate, looks like you automatically make your Balance checks for standing on the foot-wide strip next to the portcullis.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-11-05 at 08:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    yeah, 5 ranks in balance, being a skillmonkey has its uses

After some minutes, a faint knock on the secret door was heard and Grimmgang stepped back to let the others open the door. "Found a trap most likely, pressure plate. Can be bypassed by jumping or walking on the save edge, though I don't think all of us woud manage." He gave a sideways glance to Shard, then continued with a shrug. "I'll try to disable it, keep the door open so I can bolt if anything happens."

Spoiler
    Show
    Disable device rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[7] I just triggered it right away, didn't I? -.-
    (1d20+5)[6]
    (1d20+5)[9]
    (1d20+5)[7]
    (1d20+5)[23]
    (1d20+5)[10]
    (1d20+5)[9]
    (1d20+5)[25]
    (1d20+5)[24]
    (1d20+5)[23]
    (1d20+5)[18]
    (1d20+5)[17]
    (1d20+5)[8]
    (1d20+5)[13]
    (1d20+5)[16]
    (1d20+5)[7]
    (1d20+5)[16]
    (1d20+5)[15]
    (1d20+5)[20]
    (1d20+5)[7]
    (1d20+5)[7]

dragon bones are way tougher than normal bone, right? Let's block the door with one of those
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-11-05 at 08:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    double post because 500 error prevented showing thread as updated

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

Carefully poring over the walls and floor of the area near the plate, Grimmgang is nonetheless unable to locate any means of tampering with the trap's working.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

After several minutes, Grimmgang gave up the effort as useless. Instead, he tested the effect of the lever.

if nothing exciting happens
    Spoiler
    Show
    He grabbed the long pole again, got to a hopefully save distance to the pressure plate, then with a mumbled "Ah, screw it", pressed down hard, readying himself for whatever the traps designers had in store.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The secret door slams shut as soon as you pull the lever, and the wall it's imbedded in starts advancing along the corridor toward you with a sound of grinding gears and ungreased axles from the wall to the west. It appears that it will reach the portcullis in roughly a minute and a half, at its current speed; it seems your foresight in breaking a passage through the wall ahead of time was fortunate.

Everyone else:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The secret door slams shut, and you hear a pair of loud clunks before the section of wall in front of the corridor detaches from the rest and begins slowly advancing along it toward Grimmgang's end with a cacophonous grinding of stone. Once it moves out of the way, you can see twin holes in the floor and ceiling, containing mechanisms that presumably connect to the secret door when it is in place. The two are similar in form, but there are several differences in the specifics of the design; each appears to be part of a separate machine.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-11-05 at 11:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, that's mean, now I've got to tunnel through that whole thing." He chuckled. "Makes me miss the small pickaxe I got for my sixth birthday." He casually walked up to the moving wall, hacking away at it while steadily retreating and in the end stepping through the hole next to the portcullis, confident the trap will have run its course there.

Spoiler
    Show
    I get through one inch of stone per Mountain Hammer, how thick was the door?
    and don't update with me beating through it yet, let them a little worry for the dwarf's safety

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sallera View Post
    The secret door slams shut, and you hear a pair of loud clunks before the section of wall in front of the corridor detaches from the rest and begins slowly advancing along it toward Grimmgang's end with a cacophonous grinding of stone. Once it moves out of the way, you can see twin holes in the floor and ceiling, containing mechanisms that presumably connect to the secret door when it is in place. The two are similar in form, but there are several differences in the specifics of the design; each appears to be part of a separate machine.[/spoiler]

"Grimmgang? GRIMMGANG!" Shard became visibly worried. "What should we do?" it asked Daiya and Trunk. "The mechanism! Perhaps we can smash it..."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-11-06 at 08:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #615

Grimmgang! Why did I taunt him, he's made a stupid mistake and it's my fault. We need to find a way through to him! Seeing the now visible holes, Trunk pours through his collective conciousness and memory to try and discern their function before fiddling with this machinery and possibly endangering Grimmgang some more.

GRIMMGANG! Can you hear us!? We've found something here, two holes in the floor with obvious machinery. Is there anything on your end that you think is related to it? Logic presumed these were made by the original traps owners as a means of retracting it after it had reached fruition, though that by no means meant that was a correct presumption.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is there any sort of gap or way through that a small monstrous spider from MM1 get through to see Grimmgang? I want to use the spell Spider Hand from BoVD pg104 (it isn't an evil spell though and it's awesome.) It removes my hand and it transforms into a spider that I can control and see through it's eyes. It can travel 20ft/CL away from me, so 120ft and other than that it's a small monstrous spider in every way. Is there space for this spider to travel through the machinery? Say, along the pipes it's housed in.
    Last edited by FuryOfMetal; 2011-11-07 at 05:42 PM.

Player Registry

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can hear a great deal of shouting from the other side of the wall while you slowly chip through it, although none of it is intelligible over the noise of the machinery and the intervening stone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since maneuvers out of combat are 1/minute or so, it'll take some time to smash through the door, but it's roughly two feet thick.

Everyone else:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can hear a small, rhythmic pounding upon the moving wall, just barely audible over the grinding of stone.

Spoiler
    Show
    The holes are roughly a foot in diameter, although somewhat taken up with metal and stone machinery; your spider can squeeze through, although it won't be able to move at normal speed the whole way. Which hole are you having it investigate, the floor or ceiling?
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-11-07 at 06:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

17. - Top - End - #617
    Troll in the Playground

"This is not good. GRIMMGANG! IF YOU CAN HEAR US POUND THREE TIMES QUICKLY! FOUR TIMES IF YOU ARE IN DANGER! WE CAN TRY AND SMASH THE MECHANISM FROM THIS SIDE!"

Shard turned to it's companions with mounting fear. "What do we do???"

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

post your actions in spoilers please, since indeed I can't hear you

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    once per minute? Hm, I'd have thought same recovery mechanic applies, or that it counts as combat since traps come with a CR. But well, if I didn't smash the wall beforehand it would be more of an issue

I suppose I keep whacking, answer with a "Less talk, more door smashing" and leave it at that until the door is broken or they do something creative
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-11-07 at 09:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #619

Spoiler
    Show
    Laying on the floor, inspecting the hole in the floor with his eye to it. I think I can do something, to atleast give us some more information. If you're squeemish though I'd suggest looking away, or Daiya, closing your...nevermind. Placing his right palm flat on the floor, Trunhk grabs his forearm and suddenly pushes down hard and pulls his arm back though it ends six inches from where the wrist should be. Left sticking from the floor is Trunk's right hand and his stumpy wrist, suddenly pulsating and expanding. Four extra legs sprout from the body of the hand and twisting, wood cracking and splintering until it takes the recognisable form of a spider with one large eye mounted upon what was once the thumb.

Trunk ushers his creation into the hole and it scuttles into the pipe. Go now little one. This should help, I only hope this pipe will meet up with Grimmgang or it will lead to something useful. Perceptive individuals would note that Trunks right eye is currently missing, the glowing acorn having vacated it's post.

Player Registry

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang:
    Spoiler
    Show
    More shouting echoes from outside, although less than before. You're making progress through the stone, but it doesn't look like you'll make it all the way through before the wall reaches the portcullis; it was either designed to be thick enough that simple methods such as knocking on the walls wouldn't reveal the secret door's presence, or simply to make it more likely that the trap would succeed.

Everyone else:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The pounding continues in an even rhythm, with no noticeable pause. Trunk's spider clambers into the hole, squeezing its way past axles and counterweights, and after a short distance to the west, the passage ends; it seems the floor mechanism connects only to the opening lever. The wall has reached perhaps a third of the way along the passage, from what you saw before the door closed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

21. - Top - End - #621

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn, dead end. We'll try the other way then. The fingers of Trunk's remaining left hand are twitching like a puppeteer. In the mean time what on earth are we going to do. Daiya, can you see beyond this wall?

Player Registry

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Hmm...let me try."
    Daiya adjusts her blindfold again, reaching forward and putting her hand on the door, tries to feel beyond it.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Shard stands, great blade at the ready, waiting to smite the mechanism with light and force. "We really must improve upon this crude humanoid means of communion. This clumsy speech places too many restrictions on the conveyance of information..."

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone outside:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daiya can feel a presence on the other side of the wall, roughly where the pounding is coming from, although it is difficult to tell through the constant vibration of the moving wall. One would assume that it is Grimmgang.

Trunk's spider clambers upward, avoiding the occasional moving part, and makes its way carefully through the passages above. These appear much more promising - they are clearly currently in operation, for one, and far more extensive. Once above, in fact, it is much easier to move, at least for the small spider, and it manages to reach the apparent end of the mechanisms, or at least the parts accessible, at what you judge to be roughly the other end of the hallway, on its western side. There is something vaguely resembling a control panel here, although it faces the wall and does not appear accessible from this angle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "What do you see?" Shard asked with concern. "Can you see Grimmgang?"

26. - Top - End - #626

Spoiler
    Show
    I see a control panel of some kind control panel, though it's not accessible from my side. It is on the western wall and is however accessible from the outside. It faces the wall and there appears to be a partition or door in the wall for those in the hallway to use it. Daiya, what do you see?
    Last edited by FuryOfMetal; 2011-11-13 at 03:49 PM.

Player Registry

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Trunk:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can't see into the hallway from here; the control panel is facing the wall, as though a portion of the wall there is intended to be opened or removed for access, rather like the door to a fuse box. The only reason you can't really access it is that it's too close to the wall to get at properly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

"Just that whatever is making that pounding, Grimmgang I assume, is right on the other side of the door. Where was that lever that opened it from this side again?"

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

"You are correct!" Shard runs over and grasps the lever that initially opened the door and pulled.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Certainly sounds busy outside. Your mining is making progress; the wall is about two-thirds of the way to the portcullis by now, but you've made a noticeable hole.

Everyone else:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The mechanism in the lower hole pops up as the lever is pulled and does something that would presumably be efficacious were it inserted into a secret door. At the moment, it just looks a bit silly. The wall is still moving; it is perhaps two-thirds of the way along.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei