New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Taking a step back out of reach, Daiya begins to cast a spell, feeding its energy into her new sword, and settles her sword in front of her in a defensive stance.

Spoiler
    Show

5 foot step.
    Casting Inflict Serious Damage into the sword, defensively if need be
    (1d20+14)[27]
    Preparing whatever defense I can manage with my remaining time.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang rolled on his back, pulling the beast in an exposed position over himself to give the others as much room to attack it as possible. As once more wooden claws, tails and fangs assaulted his enemy, he got ready to use his legs as a spring to catapult the creature off the platform once the fatal blow was finally struck.

Spoiler
    Show
    Regain maneuvers, Stone Bones if enemy survives. If it goes unconscious, make it an unopposed bull rush to kick it down
    attack if necessary (1d20)[16] (1d6+3)[9]

croco - (1d20+8)[27] (1d12+6)[7]

[rol=Drasil]1d20+8[/roll] (1d6+7)[8]

(1d20+10)[24] (1d8+4)[5]
    (1d20+5)[13] (1d3+2)[4]
    (1d20+5)[16] (1d3+2)[4]
    (1d20+5)[12] (2d4+2)[9]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

The crocodile snaps the fiend's spine, and the creature returns to smoke, depositing Grimmgang unceremoniously on the ground. Drasil, Grimmgang, and Shard make a few more dents in the other, but it ignores the beating, still trying to crack Shard's shell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bite on Shard: (1d20+4)[22]
    Damage: (2d6+2)[8]
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

Sword now infused with her spell, Daiya once again steps into the fray, swinging at the nearest beast with all her might, releasing her magics to tear the creature's flesh apart.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[20] To hit
    (1d10+5)[9] Sword Damage (2h)
    (3d8+5)[14] Inflict Serious Damage (Note that this does not do negative energy damage; see spells for Blinded Saint).
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Feet only hitting empty air when his enemy disolved into nothingness, Grimmgang only managed to strike a weak blow against the remaining beast while regaining his composure. Now, free to move again, he got into a more advantageous angle and made a sideswing of his axe right between the jaws of Shard's assailant when it tried to bite the crystal warrior.

Spoiler
    Show
    tumble... wherever. Just need skirmish
    Mountain Hammer
    Dwarven Waraxe - (1d20+8)[23]
    Slashing damage - (1d10+4)[12] + Maneuver damage - (2d6)[8] + Skirmish damage - (2d6)[6]

croco - (1d20+8)[24] (1d12+6)[14]
    Drasil - (1d20+8)[20] (1d6+7)[13]

Drasil - (1d20+10)[20] (1d8+4)[6]
    Drasil - (1d20+5)[15] (1d3+2)[4]
    Drasil - (1d20+5)[22] (1d3+2)[4]
    Drasil - (1d20+5)[16] (2d4+2)[4]
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

Daiya's strike slices cleanly through the creature's flesh, the released spell shattering its resistance and tearing the wound further open in the wake of the blade. The animals bite deeply, holding it down and exposing the vulnerable flesh of its misshapen head; Grimmgang's final strike cleaves its skull apart, and it vanishes into smoke like the other, accompanied by the incongruous chime of Shard being released onto the stone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

"Are they... dead?" Grimmgang examined his axe quizzically; instead of the blood and gore that should be there after such a blow, only tiny wisps of smoke danced about the blade playfully before fading away a heartbbeat later.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Troll in the Playground

"Let us not wait to find out. Our prize beckons." Shard replied.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-01-15 at 04:22 AM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

"Probably more accurate to say they're dispersed, but I don't think we need worry anymore." Daiya peeks out from beneath her blindfold, watching the last wisps of smoke fade away before settling it back down and letting her senses adjust again.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

"Good enough. Now give me a few to get that gem up there, might be worth something." The dwarf slung his shield over his back and scrampled up one of the chains, chipping away at the stone around the shard until it came loose.
    His work done, he got back down, stepping on the final platform. "Onward then."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm something like 22 HP short after the Mass Lesser Vigor wears off
    Appraise on the shard - (1d20+1)[8]

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

The second platform carries you over to the other side of the chasm without meeting further obstructions, and another long corridor winds around to the right, bringing you toward the source of a persistent grinding sound. As the darkened chamber comes into view, your lights glint off a seemingly endless profusion of spinning scythes and whirling blades - how they still move smoothly after all these years would perhaps be a question worth pondering, were getting past them not a more pressing concern. Two large columns holding several curved blades spin in the centre of the room, and more edges swing out of the walls. Large blades strike out of the floor and ceiling to bar your way through. A few minutes of pondering, however, reveals that while it may not be easy, the motions of the blades are regular, and could be avoided with proper care and timing.

Spoiler
    Show

You're on the west side. The blue-outlined areas by the columns are nigh-impossible to avoid being struck in. The purple-outlined areas by the horizontal blades are safe if you are prone. The orange lines will strike you if you cross them, but can be safely crossed by taking a round to study the timing, and then making a DC15 Dex check or Tumble check on the next round.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Anything keeping me from bruteforcing this room by just Mountain Hammering one blade after the other?

Subtler method would be Disable Device or looking for an off-switch on the other side. If I avoid the middle area I can go through this without a single roll with my tumble mod. Do I see a way to Disable Device the first horizontal blade NW?

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Other than the fact that it might hurt if you miss? Doesn't look like it.

You figure if you get close enough on the ground, you can take a shot at jamming the workings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

"Stay back, I'll give this a try." Grimmgang got down on his hands and knees, edging forward until he reached the wall under the first sawlike blade. Using a collection of intricate tools, he tried to disrupt the mechanism keeping the thing moving.

Spoiler
    Show
    well, I put the ranks in there, may as well use them
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[8]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[24]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[21]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[15]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[18]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[14]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[11]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[17]

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

The mechanism slices open Grimmgang's hand as one of his tools slips out of place, but his second attempt pops a small piece of metal out of place, and the blades drop an inch or so before grinding to a stop.

Spoiler
    Show
    The first failure earns you (1d8+3)[5] damage.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-12-24 at 03:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume I received 2 Lesser Vigors before after the last fight

alright, vertical blades to the east
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[6]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[8]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[23]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[16]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[9]

next horizontal blade
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[6]
    Disable Device - (1d20+5)[20]

break here to see how much this hurts me before continuing

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

The vertical blade proves more difficult to get a handle on, taking its toll before it succumbs to Grimmgang's tricks, but it too is removed as a threat. As the dwarf attempts to start work on the third, however, a pair of hidden panels slides up further into the room, depositing two small constructs on the floor. Short, strange-looking devices that vaguely resemble wingless birds, they seem to have been built of nothing but spikes and needles, and they seem to orient themselves toward Grimmgang immediately.

Spoiler
    Show
    Botch damage: (1d8+3)[6], (1d8+3)[11]. If that rolls high and you would have gone back for a Vigor before attempting the third blade, no worries.

Initiative:
    Grimmgang 25
    Daiya 22
    Trunk 15
    Shard 9
    Enemies 9

Seems everyone gets to act first this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #708
    Troll in the Playground

"I find it difficult to believe that humanoids build such rooms. This is not a suitable death trap...more like a puzzle with deadly consequences. I am not impressed." Shard said as they entered this new chamber. Grimmgang's troubles proved case in point.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing the new threat arrive, Grimmgang immediately dropped his tools and stood up, accepting a cut from the buzzing blade so he could leave this exposed position. Trunk and Drasil joined him, readying themselves for their enemies' arrival.

Spoiler
    Show
    stand up, move to what would be C2, drawing axe
    Trunk C3, Drasil C1, each readying attacks if enemy is in range

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

"Is that...oil?" Daiya sniffs the air, feeling the smallish...objects'?...vibrations on her face. "I can't get a good sense of them if they aren't touching something solid. Hostile?"

She certainly can get a bead on them, and draws her bow and nocks an arrow in preparation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since I'm assuming someone will confirm the hostility in time for me to act...
    (1d20+10)[23]
    (1d8+3)[8]
    (2d4)[2] (I've been forgetting my miss chance since the dragon fights, sorry about that, two ones misses as it once was).

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

Careful to follow the route Grimmgang had cleared, the Shard moved into it's customary blocking position as the Dwarf tumbled past it.

"They do indeed seem to be threatening, as does everything in this place. Again, I do not understand why humanoids create such ineffective obstacles, if indeed they wished to safeguard their relics..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving 30' up to the square 2 behind where G was on the last map update. Glare on...
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-01-19 at 03:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Daiya's arrow strikes a spinning blade and bounces off, and as everyone moves into position, the constructs reorient themselves toward the nearest target, hopping and sidestepping through the maze of blades with perfect coordination. One rolls in behind Shard, attempting to distract it with a needled limb while the other rushes directly forward, driving a pair of spikes upward toward the crystal crusader's knees.

Spoiler
    Show
    Blade for Grimmgang: (1d20+7)[25]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[11]

Construct 2 attempts an accelerated Tumble past Shard, then attacks; take an AoO if it doesn't beat DC15: (1d20+4)[13]
    Attack: (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]

Construct 1 charges.
    Attack: (1d20+11)[25]
    Damage: (3d6+1)[13]

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ouch, those were some nice rolls. My DR is gone

I assume I retanked with a LV after disabling the second trap. I also assume I had to remove my shield for DD

Watching the constructs bypass the spinning blades and saws in perfect grace and without slowing made Grimmgang's face red with anger; the cuts he sustained from these traps were still fresh and being shown up by a glorified hunk of pointy things didn't sit well with him. He grabbed his axe with both hands on brutally brought it down on the nearer construct with excessive force.

Trunk carefully inched closer, trying to keep his distance from the oncomfortably close spinning column while ripping away with claws and fangs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mountain Hammer
    Dwarven Waraxe - (1d20+8)[21]
    Slashing damage - (1d10+5)[11] + Maneuver damage - (2d6)[7] + Skirmish damage - (2d6)[10]Skirmish may not apply unless they have the Living Construct subtype
    2 east

(1d20+12)[20] (1d8+4)[7]
    (1d20+7)[11] (1d3+2)[5]
    (1d20+7)[11] (1d3+2)[3]
    (1d20+7)[8] (2d4+2)[8]
    step 1 SE

if that is enough to finish the first one, Drasil moves past Grimm and Trunk, 1 SE of Shard
    (1d20+9)[22] (1d6+4)[7]

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

The fiorst construct appeared to land what would have been a grevious blow...and shattered the kneecap of any man less stout. However Shard was not a man and made of sterner stuff, the blow connected but glanced harmlessly off the mineral warrior's body.

In quick succession Shard returned the favor.

Spoiler
    Show

Leading the Attack [roll1d20+5[/roll]
    Damage: (2d6+5)[13]

If successful everyone else gets +4 to attack the one I hit.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

Hearing the tell-tale ping of her arrow striking the blade, Daiya shuffles slightly to the side, nocks, and releases again, aiming for the nearer creature's location. The smell of...something is still strong in the creatures, though she cannot place it exactly.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[15]
    (1d8+3)[10]
    (2d4)[7]

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

The construct manages to avoid Shard's swipe at it as it moves past, but Grimmgang smashes through several of its spikes as he catches it from behind, and although Daiya's arrow glances off its armour, Trunk's jaws and Shard's blade break it to pieces. A few of them continue to crawl around, ineffectually grasping at boots and ankles. The other metal avian seems to hesitate at its comrade's destruction, testing Shard's defenses with a flurry of weak jabs, then circles away through the whirling blades.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shard, I believe both of last round's attacks should have damaged you; your unmodified AC is only 23, and you haven't cast anything recently that I can see. Anyway, action point used, and you hit.

Construct attempts to feint against Shard, then tumbles away. Bluff of (1d20-2)[3] vs. Sense Motive + BAB.

Last edited by Sallera; 2012-01-24 at 09:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't be lured, it doesn't seem it can hurt us from this distance." Holding position, Grimmgang unslung the shield from his back and fastened it to his arm.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Shard nodded.

"We should form up in a defensive position and procceed onward. If it comes close we will deal with it..."

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, but neither is it out of arrowshot, if I still feel it properly. And in this case, I'm fairly certain I do."

Daiya draws yet another arrow to her bowstring and releases it at the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[22]
    (1d8+3)[10]
    (2d4)[4]

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

The arrow comes closer this time, but the blades of the column snap it in half. Perhaps reacting to the stimulus, the construct scrambles toward Daiya, swinging a spiky limb in from each side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack on Daiya: (1d20+7)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei