New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Daiya had at first idly slapped at her arm, thinking it nothing more than a biting fly, but when Grimmgang noticed his mark, she looked at her own arm to see a mark there as well, and listening to the discussion.

"I'm not aware of any of my family being dragonmarked. An odd turn of events indeed."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mark of Passage, with Dimension Leap.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Sur'kil takes you to a separate room of the inn as soon as you arrive, a small meeting chamber seemingly designed with such conferences in mind. "This is the best privacy I can manage in this city, so it will have to do. I see Trunk is no longer with you; please give me the details of the expedition."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #843
    Troll in the Playground

This time it is the Shard's turn to attempt speech, and find itself staring mouth agape. It turned to Grimmgang and Daiya (who would look unfamiliar to Sur'kil) for a recounting.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

"Trunk is dead", Grimmgang answered harshly. "Torn into a stream of magma alongside the final guardian of the inner sanctum. Now, I don't blame you for that, we knew what we were getting into.

However",
    ge continued, raising his voice for a moment. "There are things we bloody well didn't sign up for and I find it hard to believe you were ignorant of the facts. And that you sent us against dragons, the true, fullblooded kind, is the least of it."

He paused, looking Sur'kil dead in the eye. "Why did the Emerald Claw think we have something called The Dragon's Eye and ambushed us to take it?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

"The Emerald Claw attacked you?" Sur'kil seems genuinely shocked, rubbing the bridge of his nose as he considers the information. "I have been so careful to keep the details of this expedition private, although I admit I had mundane treasure hunters in mind, not professional soldiers... I cannot imagine how they knew what you were seeking, let alone why they would wish so strongly to possess it. The Dragon's Eye..." He pauses a moment more.

"I do not like making assumptions without having all the information I can get, but there was once something called the Altar of the Dragon's Eye I have seen brief mentions of. Given how obscure the information was, someone in the Claw is very well informed, and I do not like the implications of that. It is possible the altar you mentioned is - or more likely, was mistaken for - this Altar of the Dragon's Eye. You mentioned that you retrieved two artifacts; may I please see them, and any notes you have on the altar itself?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

At Sur'kil's display of shock, Grimmgang shot a short sideways glance at Daiya, trying to gauge whether she noticed any hint of dishonesty. He became acutely aware how little they truly knew about their employer. It was easy enough to trust he was just a simple researcher interested in the distant past when they first met, but with all they'd been through the notion had become less likely. Unless, like them, he too had inadvertently stumpled into something way bigger than expected.
    Grimmgang took a deep breath, seemingly to calm down, but in reality he took in Sur'kil's scent, memorizing the fine nuances. If they were played false, at least they'd have a slightly better chance to track him down again.
    "Before that, there's something else", he answered, revealing the Mark on his forearm. "I'm only distantly related to House Kundarak. And it's not just me, all of us got one at the same time some days after leaving the temple. Whether the Dragon's Eye was ever there or not, there's something powerful and strange about that altar. If you really believed the temple to hold nothing but mundane artifacts, I suggest you do some more research. I'll honor our deal, but for now I regard the artifacts we retrieved as insurance you won't just abandon us in the face of the... complications that cropped up."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

"Dragonmarks... and that is not how the Mark of Warding usually appears. It is close, but..." Sur'kil retrieves a pad of paper, making a careful sketch of the mark. "I must see the other marks, as well. There is something to all this that digs at the back of my mind, and as you say, I need time to put the pieces together. I do not mind you keeping the artifacts for now - your hands are at least as safe as mine - but I would like to see them, so I do not have to rely on descriptions. If there was a third that has gone missing, perhaps I can deduce its nature, and whether it is what the Claw sought."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

"There is more" Shard spoke up. "While inside the crypt, Daiya detected an outside force scrying upon us...this may be how they knew."

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Xaxhan scratched idly at the cerulean sigil that now crept up his throat from his collarbone. The initial discomfort had long faded, but the memory of the pain occasionally nagged at him like a scar. Why did I come to this dreadful place? he wondered to himself as he meandered Adderport's ugly, muck-ridden streets. He scowled haughtily at the dockworkers and passerby, only deigning to smile at one the few prettyish women that walked by. His striking Seren features distinguished him from the crowd, but he couldn't help but feel that the recently manifested dragonmark was what was drawing stares.

The Lhazaar raiders he had traveled with told him that he could learn about dragons here, and perhaps unearth something about his dragonblood heritage. Perhaps understanding why his people revered them so much would reveal that they were not, in fact, ignorant barbarians who shunned the world to pursue their primitive and superstitious religion. Then their beliefs might somehow be vindicated. Still, Xaxhan's more cosmopolitan and skeptical mind doubted this, but there were other excellent reasons to study dragons. They knew a great deal, and could probably help him hone his talents with magic and the frostsong that imbued his allies' blades with rime frost. Xaxhan had always felt marked for greatness, and though this moment with the dragonmark was indeed bizarre, he felt it was further evidence of his destiny.

Pulling up before one of the apartments in town, he suspected he found the place he was looking for. When he inquired about local sages, one of the barmen directed him to someone named Sur'kil or some such, an eccentric who researched the nearby ruins. He knocked on the door and prepared to announce himself when it was answered. Pulling a stray lock of his white hair back from his forehead he stated with conviction, "My name Xaxhan, called the Cold, of the White Wanderers who live along the shores of Argonnessen. I have traveled here seeking knowledge of myself. Perhaps you can aid me, as I have heard you are a keeper of lore."

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

"Scrying? It is possible... but they would still have needed to know about your trip beforehand to know to make the attempt."

Xaxhan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "A moment, please." There is a muffled voice from the other side of the door, followed by several thumps and a great deal of shuffling. The door opens to reveal a tall, middle-aged man with severe features, short, slightly-greying dark hair and a small neatly-trimmed goatee. He wears a black tailored shirt and trousers, and a long purple coat is draped over the back of a chair behind him. Much of the rest of the inn room is taken up by neatly stacked parchment and heavy books, although it appears to have been cleared away from the desk, which holds only a blank pad of paper.

"Please, come inside. I'm sure I can spare a few minutes, at the least." Shutting the door behind you, he walks back to the desk, although he does not sit, instead turning to face you with his hands clasped behind his back. "I am Sur'kil; you are right in that I am a scholar, although not a widely-known one. What is it you wish to know?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang quite deliberately only unpacked the crown for now, pushing it over the table towards Sur'kil. "So what do we do now?" he asked. The leader of the Emerald Claw detachment magically transported away before we could finish her. I don't know how far she went or how close their reinforcements are, but chances are they're plotting their next assault already for whenever we're isolated, and this time they'll bring a more formidable force to bear."

Spoiler
    Show
    should we write out a lengthy recollection or can we just summarize we cover all essential points(the lizards, the dragon siblings(at least Grimm assumes so), the imagery in the temple, the hidden lower part including the traps and guardians, and in every detail we recall the final chamber). Dunno if there's anything the others would want to keep secret, I personally can't think of anything.
    I'd name-drop 'children of Rashaak' but can't remember whether we ever heard that in non-draconic
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-04-02 at 11:05 PM.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya allows her mark to be sketched as well, and shares what information she has.

"Do you recognize this mark? I must admit that since until recently I could not see, and so I'm not terribly familiar with how things...look."
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Xaxhan thanks his host, and apologizes for the imposition. "As you surely know, we Seren come from the shores near Argonnessen, and my people have long revered dragons. I have a talent, unusual among my people, that seems to reveal draconic heritage. It has not been observed in generations, though our sages and dragonspeakers have tales of such abilities. I came here seeking knowledge, hearing that there were sites of draconic power and lore in the jungles of Q'barra. A few days ago, I came across a temple, which had evidently been well protected, though it looked recently plundered. Images of dragons, the skeleton of a mighty beast, and dozens of other findings indicated that this place might possess the clues of my heritage I sought. Unfortunately, it looked as though someone, perhaps treasure hunters had beaten me there. Yesterday, as I was returning to Adderport, this marking," Xaxhan pauses, pulling down the collar of his shirt to display the Mark of Sentinel on his throat, "appeared on my collarbone. Have you heard of any such thing happening? I wish to learn more of these strange occurrences, so that I might return to my people and lead them out of their superstition and ignorance and join the rest of Eberron. Can you help me?"

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

Sur'kil sketches the crown and its markings as you explain, making several notes on the things you mention along the way, then pushes it back across the table toward you as he starts on Daiya's mark. "It is the Mark of Passage, although again, it bears small additions when compared to the usual sigil." He takes a long look at Daiya's notes on the altar's magic, but passes them back without copying any. "We really must get you some formal training in spellcraft; I'm afraid these notations are completely illegible. I will loan you a book that should help, if you continue working for me."

Sur'kil turns back toward you all with an air of finality. "For I think I will likely want you to, until we find out what we have stirred up and how to put it to rest. Stay in town for the next two or three days; the Claw is unlikely to stage an outright assault. I will look into the Dragon's Eye and its Altar, and see if I can uncover some connection to these strange dragonmarks. I am certain there is something to find, if only I can piece this story together. Once I have the information, I will call you here again, and we can make further plans; the ship that brought us here is still available to take us safely out again, should we wish to leave then. Is that acceptable?"

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You note no signs of deception.

Xaxhan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Sentinel... and again, these strange additions." Sur'kil drops the demeanour of calm disinterest almost immediately, grabbing his sketchpad from the desk and making a copy of your mark. "It is fortunate you came to me; unless I greatly miss my guess, I happen to be the employer of the treasure hunters you speak of. Tell me, did you at any point in your exploration of the temple come across a large altar of any description?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya looks at her companions and nods casually, showing her agreement.

"I cannot read...is there perhaps a mages' school or guild or such in town where I could speak to someone about it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Never thought illiteracy would come up, being blind and all. Never thought I'd die with the only way to come back being reincarnation either.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Aye, a stone altar," Xaxhan intones before describing his journey to Sur'kil in full detail. "So you sent others into the temple? But why?"

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

Trusting Daiya to read people better than him, Grimmgang nods as well. He puts the crown in the bag again, and hands over the scepter instead for examination. "Keep that one. It seems you are our best bet, plus I surmise you'd be reluctant to pay us without receiving your price. And with the Claw on our tail, I'd prefer to get some... stuff.

By the way, know anyone who'd be interested in buying the corpse of a small black dragon? For research, raw materials or whatever. Or perhaps the skull of a dragon? You know, a big one?"

Spoiler
    Show
    it has no listed price, but it's hard to deny it would make a 'bitchin'' wallhanging or trophy for a man of wealth and taste

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

"I should add that I was very nearly destroyed by the Emerald woman. This form is quite vulnerable to focused sound. An appropriate abjurant device would come in handy for our inevitable rematch..."

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

"There is a small organization of independent arcanists operating out of an unmarked blue stone building near the north end of the city; they can likely provide you with training, and they may buy your dead dragon as well." Taking the scepter, Sur'kil counts out several brilliant gems from a belt pouch. "These are cut to House Kundarak standards; your wages for three weeks, less your advance, and twenty-five hundred for the scepter. I will give you another twenty-five for the crown, when the time comes."

He rises from his seat, nodding to you all. "If that is all, I should get started on my research. The sooner we know what is going on, the better."

Xaxhan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I had uncovered evidence that there could be artifacts of ages past buried there; it seems there was more than that, however. The altar is the key to these unusual marks, as I thought; everything else was removed or destroyed before you arrived, and yet you still bear one." Sur'kil looks thoughtful, setting down the pad and clasping his hands behind his back once more.

"Would you be willing to stay in town for another two days or so? I will have better answers for you after I complete my current research, and I must share them with the other bearers of these marks as well."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Other bearers?" Xaxhan asks, quirking a bone-white eyebrow upward. "There are others who have spontaneously developed such marks?" The Seren looks puzzled and intrigued. "I can stay in this place a few days more, if it will provide you with enough time to answer my questions. I'll find a means of passing the time." Xaxhan then provides Sur'kil with information on where he can be contacted, then thanks the scholar and takes his leave.
    Last edited by Postmodernist; 2012-04-05 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Minor grammatical error that was nagging me.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you, Sur'kil."

Daiya accepts her payment, and goes to visit the arcanists in their blue building, greeting them with a stray scale from one of the dragons.

"My companions and I have killed the owner of this scale. They'll be bringing it by later hoping to sell it. In the meantime, I would like to learn something about identifying the flows of magic. I have some natural ability to sense magical energy around me, but cannot understand what I sense."

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang's eyes gleam at receiving the gems from Sur'kil, and by the time they had liquified most of the contents of their sled he was openly grinning. "Well, I'll feel better about facing the Claw with some little extras I can afford now. This", he knocked on his shield, still sturdy but bearing the marks of battle "Needs a little upgrade. And there's a neat kind of mithralshirt I always wanted but couldn't quite pay for..."
    Drasil, trotting beside him, looked up at him, and he patted her on the back of the head. "And I guess I'll get something for you as well. I understand Trunk never thought about fitting a piece of armor to you, being a Warforged and a druid... You wouldn't mind a little extra protection long as it's light enough not to slow you down, would you?" The wooden companion shook her head, and followed on Grimmgang's heels to an armorer.
    He greeted the proprietor with a simple nod. "I need a custom fit, for that little bugger", he said, pointing down. "Something light that won't inhibit her, leather with metal studs I think. Good quality stuff." He put a couple platinum pieces on the counter. "I can give you an advance, but I'll only be in town a couple more days, keep that in mind before accepting."

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

Shard remained so that Sur'kil could draw the strange glowing scarlet mark that had appeared on it's blue-glowing face, almost like war paint, but somehow inside the translucent crystal "skin" of the mineral warrior.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

The door of the unmarked arcanists' guildhall opens to admit a violet-haired gnome, dressed in lavish and somehow fashionable robes of silver and royal blue. "A dead dragon, you say? That's a rare find; not the most interesting one I've seen, but I wager it could be useful for components, at least. Provided the material's to our liking, I'm sure we could throw in a bit of instruction with the sale, and you could keep the favour in mind for the future, yes?"

The armourer takes a long moment to study the wooden body before nodding. "That form's not too far off a riding dog's size; I've got some quality barding I could modify to fit, and an artificial body'll make it easier. Two days full, but it'll be done."

Sur'kil calls you all to the inn's private room three days later; while out in the town, the feeling of eyes upon you has been frequently present, although impossible to place precisely, always coming when in the midst of a crowd. Of course, even among the adventurers this place sees, Shard and Drasil stand out, as does Grimmgang by association, but given recent events, it is hard to trust in that as the sole explanation.

"It is good to see you all again; I believe I have some answers for you, but first I have some introductions to make." He gestures first to the pale-haired Seren. "This is Xaxhan, a seeker of knowledge who happened across the Temple of Kha'shazul shortly after you left; he too has manifested an unusual mark, and as I shall explain shortly, this is quite relevant. Xaxhan, these are Grimmgang Thunderbreaker, Daiya Milkeye, and the Shard, the other employees of mine I mentioned, all of whom bear the changed marks."

"I said before that this tale sounded familiar, and I have managed to discover why. I once uncovered a tale of a group of explorers of the Q'Barran peninsula, led by a Sarlonan named Jheamast, five of whom were said to have simultaneously developed the so-called aberrant dragonmarks in the course of an expedition. Such an event, although rare, would not be a conclusive link, but one true dragonmarked among their number claimed to see her mark change in shape at the same time, and any shift in the patterns of the true marks is almost unheard of. No direct account links them to the Temple of Kha'shazul, but the evidence is clear."

"Jheamast was said to have sought a weapon for use against some foe in his homeland; it is my belief that he must have claimed the missing relic - this Dragon's Eye the Emerald Claw seeks - from the Temple prior to your arrival. More than a thousand years prior, that is. Yet as far as I know, he never returned to Sarlona. I believe that if we wish to be rid of the Claw's enmity, we must find the resting place of the Eye. Perhaps it is a weapon, as Jheamast believed; perhaps he was misled, and that is why he remained in Khorvaire. But the Emerald Claw likely believes it is one, and if they are right, it is one I would rather they not acquire - especially since they are willing to kill us to get it. I would greatly prefer to find out it is a benign artifact, but in that case, I would desire it myself, much as the others you retrieved."

"I would like to hire you - all four of you - for a few more weeks, to trace Jheamast's trail and find where the Dragon's Eye lies; it is likely he took it with him to his grave, for I can find no mention of anything that he left to later history. I will increase your wages to three hundred and fifty a week, and the Swiftwind will remain chartered for your use; I myself will leave on a different route, for I must research your marks further, and I cannot do that with the resources I brought with me. Are these terms acceptable?"

Daiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You note that Sur'kil is holding something back, although whether from worry or care you cannot tell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

At the conclusion of Sur'kil's tale, Grimmgang scratched his head in confusion. "That... doesn't add up entirely. The traps in the lower temple were undamaged, the guardians unslain. It may have been possible to bypass all of them with exceptional skill or perhaps magical transportation, true.

But, if that is so, why was there treasure left for us to take? Surely, even if this man came specifically for the Dragon's Eye, he would have no reason to leave the artifacts undisturbed, just for the chance of them holding value. Taking them as well would have cost him nothing and his companions would certainly have desired a price for themselves as well."

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ogre in the Playground

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance," Xaxhan smiles at each of those he is introduced to, his eyes lingering a moment over Shard's unusual form. "Forgive my ignorance, but who or what is the Emerald Claw, and why would they seek this weapon you call the Dragon's Eye?"

27. - Top - End - #867
    Troll in the Playground

Shard nods ackowledgement to Xaxhan.

"Indeed, I have been attempting to comprehend their moniker as well. They are not made of Emerald..."

It looked at Grimmgang and Daiya.

"I agree there is more at work here. The temple seemed outwardly undisturbed. Perhaps the Eye was intended to be interred there but was moved at the last moment, before the Crypt was sealed and warded. If it had been plundered prior, why leave the remaining artifacts?"

Finally it looked to Sur'kil.

"I am inclined to help you so we can uncover the mystery of what has happened to us."

It paused. "However, as you may well be aware, such a stipend only covers our most basic costs. We depend on ancillary spoils for our endeavors to maintain our preparedness. With our last contract, we made good by recovering many valuable items separate from your desired artifacts. Should we accept your offer and pursue this Eye, what other compensation will be made available. While I do not eat or drink as my fleshling companions are required to, the upkeep of this body is nonetheless a significant expense....and I have no wish to start selling off pieces of myself."

It paused, seeming almost sorrowful.

"Yes. I have been noticing the way the people here gaze at me...as if I was also an object to plunder..."

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

"Speaking of monikers, I might be due for a new one. At least...my eyes are blue and no milk I've seen since I got my sight has had that color."

Daiya smiles a little in greeting to their new companion, then turns to Sur'kil.

"Now what, exactly, are you not telling us? Remember that our survival and our success depend on knowing as much we can, Sur'kil."

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know much about the Emerald Claw's formation or ultimate goals", Grimmgang answered Xaxhan. "But I do know this: they seek power, and are ruthless in their ways of getting it. If you have something they want, they use threats, but even if you give in they try to kill you anyway; they don't like loose ends. They are fanatics, neither granting mercy nor expecting it in return. They call themselves knights, though they have nothing in common with the heroes in your childhood stories. Oh, and they use undead. A lot. That reminds me, any of you only have bladed weapons, get yourselves a mace or hammer just in case they throw skeletons at us."

He listened to Shard, then nodded. "This sounds like we're chasing ghosts. The final chamber was undisturbed, chances are if the Eye was ever there it disappeared along with the temple's creators, when and however that happened.
    But that doesn't explain how the other group got those strange marks... Assuming it is the altar that did it, how close would you need to get?

Anyway, even if we do acquire the Dragon's Eye somehow, what are we supposed to do with it? Pay off the Claw with it so they leave us alone? I'm loathe to do that, so if we hold the Eye it only paints a bigger target on our backs.

No, a fight with the Claw is inevitable, and I say we face them on our terms. They're watching us in the streets, I can feel it... If we send out Shard as bait, I should be able to notice his tails. Then it's just a matter of following them and raiding their base at night. Find out what they know about the Eye, and with out pursuers out of the picture we get a nice headstart before they reorganize."

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

"Grimmgang is correct about the Emerald Claw; I do not know how they obtained their knowledge of the Dragon's Eye, and it is entirely possible they know no more of it than I do, but they almost certainly seek it in hopes of gaining power. They are a destabilizing influence, based primarily in Karrnath but with a wide reach elsewhere, and I do not know their true goals."

At Shard's request he smiles faintly. "Jheamast's tomb is likely another location that has laid undisturbed for a thousand years. Even should it turn out to not contain the Eye, rest assured, I will compensate you well for whatever knowledge or relics can be found there."

Sur'kil nods to Grimmgang. "I have considered your description of the Temple's guardians, and taken in conjunction with an interesting tale Xaxhan told me, I do not think it is entirely implausible that Jheamast's party reached the altar. I had thought it odd that the dragons you found would not have taken the Temple's secrets for themselves, but Xaxhan noticed a powerful obscuring effect on the door in the basement that none of you seemed to be aware of; it is unusual given the Temple's usage of draconic imagery, but I believe the door may have been enchanted so that dragons and their servants were literally incapable of locating it - at least until you drilled a hole through the rock."

"The fiends you faced disappeared into smoke; coupled with the presence of a Khyber shard, this likely means they could have returned in time had you not removed it, and they had a thousand years in which to do so. The room of blades, as you say, could have been bypassed with appropriate skill or caution. And you mentioned finding deep claw marks in the stone near the third niche - my working theory is that the final guardian awoke and drove away the survivors before they could take the lesser artifacts. Since the only undamaged thing left in the Temple when Xaxhan arrived was the altar, I think it must be the source of the marks, and if it were a wide enough effect to bestow marks upon those not in the immediate vicinity, I do not think it could have escaped notice for so long."
    Sur'kil shrugs, raising his palms helplessly. "It is a flimsy theory, I admit, and one constructed to fit the conclusions, but I have no other explanation at the moment."

"Nonetheless, I do indeed expect you to face the Claw eventually, regardless of the route we take. I simply want us to stay ahead of them, and to that end, your plan is a good one. It may serve you well to strike a blow against them before you leave rather than waiting for them to follow."

Finally, he smiles fondly, and a little sadly, at Daiya. "I did not want to share something that may only be a fantastical rumour, not when it might weigh unnecessarily on your minds. But I suppose you will not accept that for an answer, so there is this: Jheamast himself lived for several years after his expedition, long enough for there to be mentions of him scattered throughout the isles, but all four of his marked companions were dead within a year. At least one is said to have been consumed from within by the power of her new mark." He shakes his head. "There are many fanciful tales told about the bearers of aberrant marks, and this one may well be no different. But if it is true, then the answer to why Jheamast lived, and how to avoid a similar fate for yourselves, will likely also lie within his tomb."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-05-31 at 06:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei