New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

The dark room is briefly lit up by Shard's display, and the shadows are outlined starkly against the wood, two turning to flee into the wall even as one of them is struck from behind by projectiles of force. The remaining shadow, seeing its prey disabled and cowering, ignores Xaxhan's impotently brandished wand and snatches at Daiya.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shadows 2 and 3 (the one Daiya hit) flee inside the walls in the corner. Note that Xaxhan cannot both take the wand and draw his sword if he wishes to attack, as both are move actions. Also note that those without darkvision have shadowy illumination at best for the moment, and that only because Shard never really goes properly dark. (I'm assuming Grimmgang's axe doesn't glow, since that wouldn't make much sense for a scout, and Daiya hasn't drawn her blade.)

Touch attack on Daiya: (1d20+3)[5]
    Strength damage: (1d6)[5]

Party's turn.

Last edited by Sallera; 2012-04-21 at 04:15 PM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #902
    Troll in the Playground

The odd burning sensation returned to Shard's face and forehead as the Aberrant mark there flared with it's own crimson light. Strangely, though it knew not why, Shard felt compelled to reach out and touch the remaining Shadow before it.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard action: activate Dragonmark SLA, make touch attack as part of SLA:

Touch: (1d20+5)[11]

If successful Shadow must make a Will Save DC 15 or flee as if panicked for (1d4)[1]+6 rounds.

Last edited by TekHed; 2012-04-21 at 08:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

The most immediate threat out of the way, Grimmgang still faced the problem of being unable to move. To ease the crushing weight on his shoulders, he unslung the backpack and let it drop to the ground, shortly followed by his belt.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, I should be down to armor, shield, weapon and equipped masterwork tools. Still overloaded, but once I drop the shield and armor I can move again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya nimbly avoids the shadow's attack on her and steps back, firing another round of magic missiles.

"Shard. I can't tell. Can barely see. Is Grimmgang okay?"

Spoiler
    Show
    (3d4+3)[8]
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Troll in the Playground

"He is near death, yet not dead. We must finish this creature quickly..."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-04-24 at 12:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan fumbles with the wand again, hoping to activate it and make some sort of contribution toward defeating this creature. He then moves toward Grimmgang, with the intention of aiding the weakened dwarf. "Are you alright, soldier?" he says, offering a hand up.

Spoiler
    Show
    UMD DC 20: (1d20+13)[15] for (1d4+1)[5] magic missile damage. Move to B3.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

Reeling from the blast of force, the shadow dances away from Shard's reaching hand and stretches out an arm for Daiya once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Touch attack on Daiya: (1d20+3)[6]
    Strength damage: (1d6)[3]

Party's turn.

Last edited by Sallera; 2012-04-24 at 06:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

8. - Top - End - #908
    Troll in the Playground

The Shard, feeling the pull of the negative energy within it, struggles, and pushes back with its own innate divine energy. This time, when it reaches out to touch the Shade, it is with holy blue light, though the baleful red of the ominous mark still glows angrily upon its smooth crystal visage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spontaneously cast Cure Light Wounds...
    Touch: (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage:(1d8+3)[8]

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan, cursing at his inabilty to activate the wand, tries a final time before proffering a hand to Grimmgang, seeking to help him up.

Spoiler
    Show
    UMD (1d20+13)[14] for (1d4+1)[4]

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

"I hate the undead so very much. I think it's time to retreat, at least for a moment. Shard, can you keep these things busy? I'm going to help Grimm get out of the way."

Daiya does just that, making a quick roll across the floor towards Grimmgang to give him a hand in standing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tumble check to Grimmgang (C3 next to him rather), offer assistance in lifting his gear/self. (1d20+9)[12]
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang's weapon and shield fell to the floor too, and finally the weight pushing down on him was light enough to let him stagger forward. "I can move... barely. Just destroy this thing, I'm of little help in my current state."

Spoiler
    Show
    drop stuff, Full Defense
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

The shadow lashes out hastily as Daiya retreats, but Shard's energy briefly purges it of seeming, its body fading away into light before reforming with a struggle. Bringing both hands together, it grasps at Shard's reaching arm with the desperate need of the dying.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shadow's Will save: (1d20+4)[10]

AoO touch on Daiya: (1d20+3)[17]
    Strength damage: (1d6)[3]

Touch attack on Shard: (1d20+3)[5]
    Strength damage: (1d6)[6]

Party's turn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan mutters to Daiya, "I think you should get a refund from whoever you purchased this from. It's broken." He boosts Grimmgang up, stooping to let the dwarf rest an arm on his shoulder. He also snags as many of the scout's items as he can.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Postmodernist; 2012-04-27 at 05:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Troll in the Playground

Shard sidestepped the Shadow's clumsy strike and pressed its advantage, one more channeling holy light into the liquid darkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Touch: (1d20+5)[18] Positive Energy: (1d8+3)[6]

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll deal with it later, then. That thing got me too, and I'm not happy about it. Can you carry him?"

Daiya rises to her full height and extends her hand yet again, blasting at the shadow in front of Shard.

Spoiler
    Show
    (3d4+3)[8]

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, this is fitting... With regards from some Emerald Claw soldiers." He may lack the strength to make a decent swing, but Grimmgang still had a steady aim long as his projectile of choice was rather light. Drawing one of the looted potions, he tossed the container at the shadow to shower it with the positive energy contained within.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+3)[15]
    (1d8+1)[8]

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

The shadow struggles to hold itself together, but this time, when the light banishes it, it doesn't come back. An eerie quiet settles over the room; the other two shadows may not be visible any longer, but their presence still makes itself known in the uneasy sensation emanating from the unlit corners of the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shard finishes it, so Daiya and Grimm can save their resources (although as a future note, using a CLW potion in that way would follow the rules for holy water; against an incorporeal creature, you'd have to pour it on the thing from an adjacent square rather than throwing the bottle).

You've got six rounds before the Turning wears off, so use them as you will.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

Moving swiftly towards its companions, Shard flares with light bringing full illumination to the room. Withdrawing the crystal they'd enchanted for the purpose Shard touched it first to his companion knight.

"Quickly, we have precious seconds before the other Shades return. Daiya, your senses are best suited for searching. There may be a secret passage hidden somewhere within. Allow me to care for Grimmgang."

Spoiler
    Show

So, when I wrote the modified mineral warrior template for Shard the idea of Light "at will" was meant to be a free action, though I didn't understand that SLAs are typically standard actions when I wrote it. Not sure if that would be ok or not.

Otherwise, standard action activate wand touching Daiya: (1d4)[3]

Then say 3 rounds worth of charges to Grimmgang: (3d4)[8]

That leaves us either one more round of turning (plus however much time it takes them to return), or 2 more rounds if Sal is ok with Light being useable as a free action, rather than a standard.)

Last edited by TekHed; 2012-04-28 at 04:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

Nodding, Daiya uses their precious time to close her eyes and perform a quick series of taps around the edge of the room, listening for any signs of a secret passage.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sure I take a penalty for being rushed for time, but I'm figuring doing this in about 30 seconds (five rounds). (1d20+13)[24]

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

With some strength flowing back into his limbs, Grimmgang picked up his axe again. "Those things will come back soon, won't they? Let's get ready then and finish them as fast as possible, that was a close call back there."

Spoiler
    Show
    up to strength 10, could still use a bit more

21. - Top - End - #921
    Troll in the Playground

Shard nodded and used the crystal on Grimmgang again, before turning its gaze inward, looking through the source of it's power, through time to get a hazy glimpse of the possible future...

Spoiler
    Show

So turning makes them flee for 10 at top speed. Presumably it would take them another 10 to make it back. We have spent 5 rounds (or 4 for Shard if Sal lets me free-light) out of the 6 left for the Turn. We should have another 11 rounds then to prepare.

Shard will use the wand for 3 more rounds on Grimmgang (unless the first one or two get him back to full) (1d4)[2] (1d4)[2] (1d4)[3]

Then I'll cast Augury from my domain slot (hey have to use it sometime right?) to ask "Weal or Woe" if we stay here and search for a secret passage. i.e. if there is any weal to be had it probably means we'll find something...

It also means Daiya has 11 more rounds to search more of the room.

With the time remaining Shard will Aid Another to Daiya's search ("Hey Shard, shine that light over in this corner for me...")

Aid: C'mon RNG! (1d20)[3]
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-04-28 at 07:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing his companion regain his strength, Xaxhan hands Grimmgang back his equipment, helping him don his armor as soon as he is able. "What precisely is it that we're looking for?" the Seren asks, looking around as soon as the opportunity arises.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search (1d20+3)[16]

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

"Thanks Xaxhan, I rather leave it there in case they get me again, I need to be able to move." Flexing his repaires muscles, Grimmgang got into a ready stance, brandishing his axe. "Let's finish this hard and fast soon as they're upon us."

Spoiler
    Show
    C2, ready action to Mountain Hammer, possible 5 ft step, if Shadow adjacent or if Shadow stops movement 2 squares away or Shadow tries to leave square 2 squares away

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan nods to Grimmgang in response, drawing his crystal echoblade, and making ready to strike at the shadows as soon as they appear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stay in place, ready an action to activate a free action Snowflake Wardance while striking at any approaching shadows.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya takes up a stance on the other side of Shard, drawing her sword and preparing to fire another barrage of missiles at the creatures as they appear.

Spoiler
    Show
    (3d4+3)[12], hoping to get an extra attack of opportunity when they arrive/flee. So here's the rolls for that...

(1d20+7)[24]
    (1d10+5)[14]
    (1d2)[1] Fails on 1

(3d8+6)[16] Inflict Serious Damage (affects undead 50%, not negative energy) (only triggers if sword attack successful)
    (1d2)[2] Fails on 1

If I have a choice, target the same shadow with both attacks.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

The shadows emerge into the brightly lit corner, standing out clearly now against the walls. One is almost immediately shredded by three blasts of force, and the second advances upon Grimmgang.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, Daiya gets the one she hit earlier, so it's down. Grimmgang and Xaxhan, roll your readied attacks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe better luck this time. Bringing his axe down in a twohanded swing, Grimmgang parted the floating shadow, hoping that this time he might strike true.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+8)[13] damage - (1d10+5)[7] Maneuver damage - (2d6)[2] Concealment - (1d100)[72]

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan swings his blade in a narrow arc at the tenebrous creature, hoping that the magic in the blade cuts grants contact.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (1d20+5)[22] for [roll]1d8+1[/roll] damage. Concealment (1d100)[31]
    Last edited by Postmodernist; 2012-05-02 at 06:29 AM.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Troll in the Playground

As the Shade slips through Xaxhan's blade,it comes within reach of Shard's advance and once again a pulse of blue-white light makes contact with the dark thing.

Spoiler
    Show

Touch: (1d20+5)[21]
    Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+3)[6] Will DC 15 for 1/2.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-05-02 at 07:34 AM.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

The remaining shadow slips lithely between both blades, floating forward and ducking through a crate. Still half-embedded in the wood, it strikes at Grimmgang once more, seeking to reclaim its interrupted meal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grimmgang's still at Strength 10, mind; post #921 didn't have time to happen.

Touch attack on Grimmgang: (1d20+3)[7]
    Strength damage: (1d6)[6]

Party's turn (minus Shard, assuming he keeps his action above.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei